Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

killeroogs
Topic Author

Druk air purchasing A320 and expanding to Japan and Dubai

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Badly put to together story, however it is an official source so.

http://www.bbs.bt/news/?p=92297

There was an Air Asia(Malaysia) A320neo in Paro recently doing demo flights a few weeks ago, so it's probably a NEO even though the article doesn't specify

Looks like they will also be adding an ATR 42 for domestic flights

vadodara

Re: Druk air purchasing A320 and expanding to Japan and Dubai

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Good move.

Wondering which domestic routes would the ATR's fly?

killeroogs
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:26 pm

It will probably be the existing 2 domestic routes YON and BUT

hOMSaR

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 pm

I saw their ATR on the ground at PBH when I was there a few years ago. Couldn’t tell if it was in use or not.

patineta89

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Does this mean Bhutan is increasing their yearly tourist numbers limit?
I believe a few years ago one had to go to a waiting list to visit the country since there's a limited amount of foreigners allowed in each year.

killeroogs
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 pm

There never was a yearly tourist limit or quota. This is just a misinformation that has been repeated again and again. There has always been spending requirement of per person / per day of of ~ $200 a day effectively served to limit the number of tourists, and source countries to mostly, US, Japan and Europe. However in recent years there's been huge growth in tourists as people in places like China have gotten very wealthy. Also there has been huge growth from India which is exempt from requirement.

globetrotter94

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:16 pm

killeroogs wrote:
Badly put to together story, however it is an official source so.

http://www.bbs.bt/news/?p=92297

There was an Air Asia(Malaysia) A320neo in Paro recently doing demo flights a few weeks ago, so it's probably a NEO even though the article doesn't specify

Looks like they will also be adding an ATR 42 for domestic flights

This post brings up an interesting point for me. I was always under the impression that Japan-Bhutan/Bangladesh/Eastern India had to be done by a widebody, but actually, the distance is not so great--can even be done by A320s! I wonder then why no one can make a business case for such routes as yet (KB is looking at probably KBH-NRT/HND/KIX, but there should also be viability for DAC-NRT/HND/KIX or CCU-NRT/HND/KIX). Seems like an overlooked opportunity.

killeroogs
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:33 pm

but there should also be viability for DAC-NRT/HND/KIX or CCU-NRT/HND/KIX). Seems like an overlooked opportunity.

Druk air would need 5th freedom from Bangladesh and Japan for a route through Dhaka. They have fifth freedom rights on most of their flights to BKK so it maybe a possibility

globetrotter94

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:39 pm

killeroogs wrote:
but there should also be viability for DAC-NRT/HND/KIX or CCU-NRT/HND/KIX). Seems like an overlooked opportunity.

Druk air would need 5th freedom from Bangladesh and Japan for a route through Dhaka. They have fifth freedom rights on most of their flights to BKK so it maybe a possibility

Oh, well I was not talking about KB specifically, just that the potential for such narrowbody routes exists. How about CCU? KB used to operate lot of PBH-CCU-??? flights so they definitely have 5th freedom through India?

PlymSpotter

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I actually flew KB this morning on their 5th freedom DEL-KTM route. The in flight magazine shows that the ATR 42 is still scheduled on shorter regional flights so I suspect they might look to add more as the region develops.

JOYA380B747

Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Although somewhat irrelevant to this thread, here is a footage of approach and landing into PBH which I took aboard their A319 CEO this January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxtv-_YpYzM&t=356s

I'm pretty certain about the A320 NEO taking huge hits on takeoff and landing weights for PBH ops (much more so than the current A319s - correct me if I am wrong).

Regds

fsabo

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:31 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
Although somewhat irrelevant to this thread, here is a footage of approach and landing into PBH which I took aboard their A319 CEO this January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxtv-_YpYzM&t=356s

I'm pretty certain about the A320 NEO taking huge hits on takeoff and landing weights for PBH ops (much more so than the current A319s - correct me if I am wrong).

Regds

I wonder how much the short field kit for the A320neo would help in this situation.

workhorse

Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:21 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:

It's strange they didn't choose the A319neo. It was basically built for them!

P.S. (...as well as Tibet Airlines, Avianca, Boliviana etc).

JOYA380B747

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am

workhorse wrote:

:checkmark:

Guess they expect runway extension of PBH in the near future, and so are gambling on a slightly bigger metal.

eamondzhang

Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:04 am

workhorse wrote:
JOYA380B747 wrote:

P.S. (...as well as Tibet Airlines, Avianca, Boliviana etc).

Current rumour from Airbus (after the recent A320neo high-altitude testings done) is that A320neo can basically match A319ceo in terms of take-off performance from high altitude airports. Guess that's why we didn't see much A319neo sales right now.

Michael

killeroogs
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Guess they expect runway extension of PBH in the near future, and so are gambling on a slightly bigger metal.

Not sure how they going to extend the runway with the river and high ridge right behind it and the village on the other side. However they did have Malaysian Air Asia A320NEO perform demo flights a few weeks and it probably performed well enough to meet the requirements.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos