Enzed
Topic Author

AirAsia X wants Australian regional airport deals

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:18 am

http://www.impactpub.com.au/micebtn/85- ... port-deals

www.karryon.com.au/industry-news/airlin ... ld-happen/

www.afr.com/lifestyle/travel/world/aira ... 316-h0xkqn

WTB is about 2 hours drive west of BNE

The owners of WTB are very proactive. They have secured many regional flights within Australia already plus a regular(weekly I think) CX 748 freighter.

NTL is about 2 hours drive north of SYD

So what are the chances of these airports getting say a twice weekly service anytime soon ?[photoid][/photoid]

Qantas16

Re: AirAsia X wants Australian regional airport deals

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 am

Enzed wrote:
http://www.impactpub.com.au/micebtn/85-news/btn-news/21766-airasia-x-wants-australian-regional-airport-deals

http://www.karryon.com.au/industry-news ... ld-happen/

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/travel/wor ... 316-h0xkqn

The owners of WTB are very proactive. They have secured many regional flights within Australia already plus a regular(weekly I think) CX 748 freighter.

So what are the chances of these airports getting say a twice weekly service anytime soon ?[photoid][/photoid]

This is purely commentary to get media attention. D7 is taking an enormous risk on AVV and if it pays off, sure, we may see more services to semi-regional airports but they will wait until they see how AVV performs. Also AVV is a lot closer to Melbourne CBD than NTL is to Sydney and WTB is to Brisbane...

With regards to BNE, there largest unserved Australian city, they were very close to launching services last year (BNE even published their flight details in their monthly schedules for June 2017) but it never eventuated. Whilst I don't know the differences between the cost of operating WTB vs BNE but I would imagine the fare premium you could get ex-BNE (vs WTB) would more than cover the added costs. There is next-to-no international inbound tourism ex-WTB and the population there is small so they would have to get some pretty generous subsidies to make it worth there while vs launching BNE or adding additional frequencies ex-OOL.

Qmans

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 am

Enzed wrote:
http://www.impactpub.com.au/micebtn/85-news/btn-news/21766-airasia-x-wants-australian-regional-airport-deals

This would make things interesting. WTB is well run however i dont think their is much international demand from WTB. NTL should be able to support it atlest 2,3 times a week. i bet is Either of theses wont happen seeing as adelaide hasnt even resumed yet. but still you never know. if WTB or NTL does happen my bets on it being a tag to somewhere (the artical did mention tassie so maybe a tag to hobart)

Enzed
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Enzed wrote:

This is purely commentary to get media attention. D7 is taking an enormous risk on AVV and if it pays off, sure, we may see more services to semi-regional airports but they will wait until they see how AVV performs. Also AVV is a lot closer to Melbourne CBD than NTL is to Sydney and WTB is to Brisbane...

With regards to BNE, there largest unserved Australian city, they were very close to launching services last year (BNE even published their flight details in their monthly schedules for June 2017) but it never eventuated. Whilst I don't know the differences between the cost of operating WTB vs BNE but I would imagine the fare premium you could get ex-BNE (vs WTB) would more than cover the added costs. There is next-to-no international inbound tourism ex-WTB and the population there is small so they would have to get some pretty generous subsidies to make it worth there while vs launching BNE or adding additional frequencies ex-OOL.

don't think AVV is any risk at all for D7. MEL is a congested mess like SYD. Those who want to save money will get to AVV instead of MEL(they are not that far apart)

Catchment area for WTB is huge (& there's also the freight aspect) & could pull people from as far east as Brisbane western suburbs.

By limiting passenger baggage, it means D7 could carry more freight to KUL. There's already a lot of freight going on CX 748 every week to HKG.

Would suggest that if WTB/KUL were to happen, there might be express coach services from western Brisbane &/or cheap car parking at WTB. The Wagners know how to make things happen. D7 would probably not want to pay any landing fees or other airport charges & Wagners might say ok for a while, to get route started.

Qantas16

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 am

Enzed wrote:
don't think AVV is any risk at all for D7. MEL is a congested mess like SYD. Those who want to save money will get to AVV instead of MEL(they are not that far apart)

Catchment area for WTB is huge (& there's also the freight aspect) & could pull people from as far east as Brisbane western suburbs.

By limiting passenger baggage, it means D7 could carry more freight to KUL. There's already a lot of freight going on CX 748 every week to HKG.

Would suggest that if WTB/KUL were to happen, there might be express coach services from western Brisbane &/or cheap car parking at WTB. The Wagners know how to make things happen. D7 would probably not want to pay any landing fees or other airport charges & Wagners might say ok for a while, to get route started.

You don't think there is any risk at all being the first airline to launch international operations from an airport with a very checkered past for commercial success? The airport can barely sustain services to SYD without government support so I would think twice daily services to KUL would be a risk. I'm not saying it will be a failure but it's certainly a risk. MEL may be a congested mess but it is closer to the city, allows connections (separate tickets of course) from throughout Australia, has significant airport infrastructure and facilities for passengers... it certainly has appeals to people and D7 will have to lower there prices to attract people out to AVV.

Catchment area for WTB is not "huge"... WTB themselves put there catchment area at around 344,000 people (http://www.wellcamp.com.au/industry-pilot-info/overview)... and with little inbound tourism it'll be difficult. Sure, WTB might give them the airport for free and I'm sure local government will subsidise it to the tune of tens of millions of tax payer dollars... but when that all ends, will D7 really have been better off flying to WTB than BNE? I doubt it. Also WTB is not a great success... it's biggest aircraft is an E170 and it's biggest route is SYD ~2x a day on a Dash-8... it'd be lucky to have 500pax a day through the airport...a D7 flight would be more than that just from one flight (in and out)... I realise it's a long term project but the Wagner's promised a lot that is yet to eventuate route-wise.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am

For AVV and SYD's new Western Sydney Airport, maybe, but I doubt NTL or WTB could work. What next - HLZ to replace AKL? :lol:

Cheers,

C.

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:21 am

Enzed wrote:
MEL is a congested mess like SYD. Those who want to save money will get to AVV instead of MEL(they are not that far apart)

They're already losing money to Australia, and there is plenty of low fare competition to SYD and MEL today, especially from the Chinese carriers. I'm not sure what an alternative airport gets them other than slightly reduced costs.

mpj

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am

NTL doesn't have a code E runway, so i doubt that will happen in the near future.

I do remember reading a story in The Australian a while back that the Airport wants to upgrade the runway to code E, but it's up to Defence if it happens.

vhqpa

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:45 am

I'm not convinced WTB is well placed to serve as a compelling International SEQ gateway. Even from Ipswich CBD, OOL is only marginally further than WTB. The further east from Ipswich CBD you go the closer to OOL you get. If D7 want better coverage of SEQ without actually flying to BNE. They would be better off waiting for MCY's runway extention whenever that happens and using MCY to cover the Sunshine Coast/Northern Brisbane, unlike WTB it would at least have an inbound tourist draw.

PAX wise WTB make sense not as secondary SEQ airport, but as a regional hub for connecting Toowoomba/Lockyer Valley/Daring Downs to other parts of Australia but I doubt they could sustain International flights LCC or not by themselves.

WTB should seriously consider changing their name from "Brisbane West". What's next ABX rebranding to "Canberra Southwest/Melbourne North"?

Bluebird191

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm

vhqpa wrote:
I'm not convinced WTB is well placed to serve as a compelling International SEQ gateway. Even from Ipswich CBD, OOL is only marginally further than WTB. The further east from Ipswich CBD you go the closer to OOL you get. If D7 want better coverage of SEQ without actually flying to BNE. They would be better off waiting for MCY's runway extention whenever that happens and using MCY to cover the Sunshine Coast/Northern Brisbane, unlike WTB it would at least have an inbound tourist draw.

PAX wise WTB make sense not as secondary SEQ airport, but as a regional hub for connecting Toowoomba/Lockyer Valley/Daring Downs to other parts of Australia but I doubt they could sustain International flights LCC or not by themselves.

WTB should seriously consider changing their name from "Brisbane West". What's next ABX rebranding to "Canberra Southwest/Melbourne North"?

I live in Ipswich, very close to the Ipswich CBD and to be honest, I’d rather drive to OOL rather than WTB - much easier drive and less to contend with. And more choice of flights. Then again, BNE is just too convenient for even me, so it’s too easy of a choice to go there for most travellers in SE Qld.

melpax

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Enzed wrote:

Also remember that AVV is only a 20 minute or so drive from the rapidly expanding Western Suburbs. Tarneit in particular is extremely popular with Indians, while other suburbs such as Point Cook, and Hoppers Crossing also have large Asian migrant populations that would quite happily drive down the freeway to AVV for a cheap flight home.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos