Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ty97
Topic Author

United suspends new reservations for pets in cargo hold

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Temporary suspension while they complete review of pet policies.

Does not impact in-cabin pets.

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireSt ... itter_abcn

jumbojet

Re: United suspends new reservations for pets in cargo hold

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

you have to wonder what took so long and why it takes incidents that make the press for them to make change. United is not a very proactive airline.

airzim

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

jumbojet wrote:
you have to wonder what took so long and why it takes incidents that make the press for them to make change. United is not a very proactive airline.

This is purely for show.

All airlines have been handling pets for probably close to 50 years, generally very safely. One incident with a predictable media lashing, requires them to make the appearance of doing something. But in reality, this was just a misjudgment (from the FA and the owner) and a terrible accident.

But be careful what you wish for. If United decides that it's not worth the media headache, they might just ban all pets. That would really suck if you're a pet owner.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:24 pm

And they probably should have mandatory insurance, perhaps $5K for veterinarian and $2K for life. Options for more insurance. And the less fine print the better. And to be hoped: dogs in main cabin need to be less intrusive to other passengers. Not all of us like dogs.

bigjku

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:36 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
And they probably should have mandatory insurance, perhaps $5K for veterinarian and $2K for life. Options for more insurance. And the less fine print the better. And to be hoped: dogs in main cabin need to be less intrusive to other passengers. Not all of us like dogs.

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand why anyone would fly their pet unless they are going overseas? If you want to bring your dog and can drive just do so. If it’s a short trip board the damn thing.

In cabin pets are just annoying. A legit service dog is fine. And I love my dog. But he doesn’t need to fly and incovience other people.

flyguy84

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Like most things, Smisek contracted out a majority of PetSafe functions. Which lead to a decrease in quality of service.

flydude380

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Should’ve been the other way around!!

Jayafe

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 pm

flydude380 wrote:

Passengers are already not allowed to travel in the cargo hold :rotfl:

727LOVER

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:35 pm

airzim wrote:
But be careful what you wish for. If United decides that it's not worth the media headache, they might just ban all pets. That would really suck if you're a pet owner.

Don't some airlines ban unaccompanied minors as well?

flydude380

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Jayafe wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

Ha!! Made my night! If only...

Revelation

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 pm

airzim wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with airplanes being pet-free zones, and a bet a lot of others are too.

lightsaber

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 am

Revelation wrote:
airzim wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with airplanes being pet-free zones, and a bet a lot of others are too.

An airline can make that rule.

JetBlue makes a profit of me when I fly with my pet.

If UA must charge more for pets, charge more. It will just be another decision point.

But the trips I take my pet are planned with a pet. No pet, no flight. So my decision is easy on those trips on which airline to fly if one accomodates. Last time I flew with a pet it cost me $500 more to fly the pet friendly airline after the fees I voluntarily paid to make the pet/child experience better.

Note: I do have l an issue with comfort animals. They're all pets unless a service animal.

I have no trouble not paying a business money who doesn't want me as a customer.

Lightsaber

PITingres

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:57 am

bigjku wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand why anyone would fly their pet unless they are going overseas? If you want to bring your dog and can drive just do so. If it’s a short trip board the damn thing.

No, you aren't the only one, unfortunately. I'm not suggesting that people be in a rush to bring their pets, but I can imagine several instances when a pet might be coming along for a relatively short trip (say, a week or two):

- there's nobody at home to watch the pet, or take it temporarily;
- kennel / boarding fees are unaffordable, or the local kennel / boarding is unsuitable (e.g. can't handle neurotic dogs or whatever);
- toddler is going through THAT non-sleep phase and screams all night if pet isn't there (ask me how I know this one);
- pet has a special friend at the other end (and if you don't think animals can have best friends you are simply wrong);

and that's just off the top of my head. I myself definitely prefer not having animals on the plane at all, but sometimes it IS the right thing for that traveler. And no, I wouldn't drive for days cross country just so I can take a pet.

AAIL86

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 am

Revelation wrote:
airzim wrote:

Since my wife and I have no kids, I’m fine with kids being banned from business class, or even the entire plane. Before the outrage crowd starts ... I’m kidding...
But seriously, my dog who flies several times a year in the cabin (UA makes an extra $250 every time) and never as much as makes a sound, isn’t the problem here, a lack of common sense is. If passengers are being disruptive, warn them and then kick them off if needed. If a pet or pet owner is being disruptive, kick them off if needed. Much easier and more rational then banning the 99% who aren’t the problem.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 am

I don't understand the hostility toward in cabin pets. I'm not talking about emotional support animals, I'm talking about small dogs and cats that must be paid for and kept in a kennel under the seat. I've flown many miles over the years and I've never been disturbed by one. I can count many passengers (adults and children) that I can't say the same for.

KBUF

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 am

Jayafe wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

"Your attention please, no-frills passengers now arriving. Please have your baggage claim checks ready to show the attendant upon leaving the terminal."

ericm2031

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 am

This is just to show the public that they are serious about the situations that happened, but PETSAFE is a huge profit generator and isn't going anywhere. These situations just got out of hand and the media blew them way out of proportion. Pets get misloaded from time to time and have been for years, just as bags do, mistakes happen but in the end everything is fine.

Ironically, UA recently went through a huge costly upgrade to real-time tracking on pets a few months ago as before it was a much more manual and archaic process of tracking them so it's funny 2 situations came up so soon.

bigjku wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

In cabin pets are just annoying. A legit service dog is fine. And I love my dog. But he doesn’t need to fly and incovience other people.

A big portion of the business isn't just people traveling with their pets on a weeklong vacation. A lot of the business comes from breeders, zoos, etc.

c933103

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am

bigjku wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

1. Most airlines around the world offer the service of pet transportation, by using the cargo space. In cabin pet seems to be something new in the US.
2. It would be more hassle than regular transportation, but the reason why someone would do it would be same as anyone else that would like to take planes instead of driving. It would be more hassle to go through all the procedures needed to send a pet via aircraft, but that's most likely still easier than driving dozens of hours

jfklganyc

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:01 am

I would ban pets (except service animals required by ADA) in cargo and cabin.

I would ban UMs.

That’s just me.

The circumstances have changed with social media and litigation...just isnt worth the risk.

30 years ago every hotel pool had a diving board. None do now. Litigation and risk of liability.

Humans create their own misery...if every single incident goes viral you will face risk adverse corporations. Simple as that.

If you carry the most vulnerable pets and ums, you will make headlines eventually, it is law of averages. You walk away from that with a move like this.

United, turn this suspension into a ban.

vfw614

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 am

In Europe, the majority of the large "continental" carriers (Ryanair, easyJet, Eurowings) do not accept pets, if I am not mistaken. My understanding is that, for example, a lot of German folks with pets holidaying regularly on the Spanish islands were hit hard when airberlin went under as there is no very little choice when it comes to hauling your pet to/from those destinations.

Pets in the cabin are, as far as I am concerned, an issue. If peanuts are a hazard in aircraft cabins, cats must be a hazard as well for allergics? I am no expert regarding this - or does it only create problems for allergics in places where the pet constantly lives?

outbackair

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:40 am

Passengers are already not allowed to travel in the cargo hold :rotfl:[/quote]

Best thing I've seen all day! Well done!

AAIL86

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I would ban pets (except service animals required by ADA) in cargo and cabin.

I would ban UMs.

That’s just me.

The circumstances have changed with social media and litigation...just isnt worth the risk.

30 years ago every hotel pool had a diving board. None do now. Litigation and risk of liability.

Humans create their own misery...if every single incident goes viral you will face risk adverse corporations. Simple as that.

If you carry the most vulnerable pets and ums, you will make headlines eventually, it is law of averages. You walk away from that with a move like this.

United, turn this suspension into a ban.

Likely you're OK with this because it doesn't affect you. But there are others like me who play by the rules and shouldn't be punished for other people's muckups. I am happy to pay United's cabin pet charges 3-4 times a year. My dog won't kick your seat all through the flight or otherwise bother you in the slightest. And I'm sure we've all been on flights over the years where thats not been true of other people's kids....

slvrblt

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:47 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
I don't understand the hostility toward in cabin pets. I'm not talking about emotional support animals, I'm talking about small dogs and cats that must be paid for and kept in a kennel under the seat. I've flown many miles over the years and I've never been disturbed by one. I can count many passengers (adults and children) that I can't say the same for.

Because, there ISN'T really any hostility towards these pets. Pets in carryon containers rarely cause any issues. It's the overly entitled, emotional support crowd that causes the problems. They bring on their uncaged, untrained, peacocks, pigs, horses, guinea pigs, 100lb pets, you name it. And how dare you question them. Don't like dog spit from my 190lb St Bernard? (they salivate a lot) Oh, my emotional support dog growled at you......maybe took a nip? You looked at him funny, it's your fault. Don't like it? Get off the plane, too bad for you.

Americans have gone bonkers.

The 'normal' folks, who have an under-the-seat cat or small dog in their carryon kennel almost never cause issues like this.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos