Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:31 pm

As mentioned in the title the inaugural Qantas MEL-PER-LHR will take flight this Saturday the 24th of March, Sunday arrival in LHR. The return flight will depart LHR Sunday and arrive in PER and then MEL on Monday

Just to recap the schedule is

QF9 MEL1620-1720PER1850-510+1 LHR
QF10 LHR1315-1300+1PER1430+1-2055+1 MEL

The launch of PER-LHR will be the first time that there is a regular direct non-stop air service between Australia and Europe. PER-LHR at 7828nm will be the longest flight operated by a 787 family aircraft and will also be the current longest flight in the Qantas network

Over the years we have seen aircraft capabilities improve, before WW2 in 1938 the journey from Perth to London took 10 days with 37 stops, in 1957 a flight took 2 days and 8 stops, in 1965 the journey took 27 hours and 5 stops, in 1989 the journey time was reduced to 22 hours and 1 stop and in recent years we have seen the one stop flight reduced to about 19-20 hours. The original Kangaroo Route (SYD-LHR) began in 1947 and took 55 hours with 8 stops.

https://twitter.com/speedbird020/status ... 5176112134

With the launch of nonstop PER-LHR travel time is reduced to 17-17.5 hours. For more on the history on Perth to London flights refer to

https://sevenwesttravelclub.com.au/stor ... -to-london

Recently we have had a few news stories here in Australia relevant to PER-LHR which I will share below

Back in late November QF opened a dedicated lounge at LHR

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ow-lounge/

Qantas began planning for PER-LHR back in 2015 which involved flying the route on planning software on a daily basis for over 2 years with a near full payload and using the winds of the day

Qantas has been flying the new nonstop Perth-London route for more than two years — on computers.
The service begins on March 24. According to Qantas chief technical pilot Alex Passerini, planning for what will be the longest 787 flight began in 2015 when sophisticated strategic planning software was used to examine the route’s viability.
That process involved “flying” the 787 from Perth to London with a near full payload every day using the winds of the day to see what was the optimum flight path and build a database of experience on the performance.
“That allows us to build an archive of data — how the aeroplane performs, the weather conditions that we encounter and that sort of thing,” Capt. Passerini said.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/qantas-f ... b88763630z

New menu has been launched for PER-LHR. Combined research from the University of Sydney Charles Perkins Centre along with Neil Perry, the Director of Food, Beverage and Service for Qantas has designed menus that increase hydration and help reduce jetlag along with creating dishes that encourage sleep at certain times during the flight

Included in the menu

Probiotic Bc30 infused Botanica cold pressed juice shots
A bespoke herbal tea, which encourages relaxation developed especially for Qantas by Dilmah, made from lemon verbena chamomile and lemongrass
Dishes which feature ingredients that promote hydration such as green leafy vegetables, cucumber, strawberries and celery
Tailoring specific ingredients (such as chilli) to particular times of the day
Lighter meal options (e.g. tuna poke salad bowl)
A hot chocolate bedtime drink with the combination of warm milk and chocolate containing the sleep inducing amino acid Tryptophan to help prompt the body’s sleep cycle
Organic kombucha by Remedy: a live cultured, sparkling drink full of natural probiotics that assist with digestion.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... l-flights/

For pictures of the new menu refer to

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f9y062r50tsr ... y6yAa?dl=0

Final touches being put on new international lounge at T3 in Perth, Qantas will reveal on Friday 23rd March. The lounge will be used exclusively for PER-LHR flights. Other QF international flights such as PER-SIN passengers will be required to use the domestic lounge.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/travel ... b88769370z

First look at upgrades to T3 including customs and immigration facilities, duty free and new food outlets

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88771891z

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-reveals ... l-terminal

After checkin (for those checking in at Perth) passengers will go through security at T4 joining domestic passengers. After security passengers will make their way through thw Qantas Terminal Precinct from T4 to T3 and go through passport/international security checks.

As mentioned prior when the route was announced swing gates would be used in T3 of which the terminal will be used for International flights for part of the day and domestic flights The Swing area has a long secure sliding glass door from Gate 17 in T3, essentially the dedicated area when the swing gates are used will involved roughly 75% of T3. There is one door to enter Border Force security just prior to the swing gate and another located near the toilets, Further down from the toilets on the righ hand side are the shops/food outlets and the QF International lounge is located at the end of T3, near gate 20, 21-25

For map of T3/T4 refer to

https://www.perthairport.com.au/-/media ... -floor.pdf

https://www.perthairport.com.au/-/media ... el-one.pdf

For those who live in Perth I am told there will be a spread put in the West on Wednesday, if there is an online version I will add it here

For those travelling on the inaugural flight or those who have photos and/or videos of the flight departing/arriving please share below

sassiciai

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks for the very extensive overview of what's on offer. One evident thing missing without clicking all the links is what booze we can expect, and in which cabins!

No doubt welcome champagne at the front, but what about the back? Warm flat water?

Hot towels, anyone?

After an apero drinks service, a dinner service with liberal wine service. I don't do café or pousse-café anymore, but would like another glass of wine instead. Then clear my tray, turn down the lights, and I'm out for, what, in Y, maybe 3 hours! 4 at a stretch. 5 if the plane is half empty, and I can lie spread over 3 Y-seats!

God bless all who sail in her! Bon voyage! I really look forward to the reports (from the survivors)!

David_itl

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Tremendous news that for all of Europe apart from London, the one-stop to Australia is to be replaced by the one-stop to Australia.

sassiciai

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:13 pm

David_itl wrote:
Tremendous news that for all of Europe apart from London, the one-stop to Australia is to be replaced by the one-stop to Australia.

....and involving for most, a backtrack, an awkward terminal change, and a stopover long enough to ensure arriving at destination with checked-in bags!

inflightVideo

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm on the inaugural flight from London to Perth, so you'll be able to fly the entire route virtually from the comfort of your home once I've uploaded a 17 hour video to YouTube of course :D

Big Jet TV are also filming the departure from LHR live, and I'll be live at points throughout the flight :)

EK413

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:19 pm

qf789,
Thank you for putting together such a detailed post. Excellent work.

There certainly has been a lot negative views towards this up coming service but when look back to a 55hr trip to LHR reduced down to 17.5hrs it’s impressive how far air travel has come.

Wish QF the best on this adventure hopefully opens up Australia’s hub to the world.

EK413

ClassicLover

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:38 pm

qf789 wrote:
Back in late November QF opened a dedicated lounge at LHR

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ow-lounge/

Qantas began planning for PER-LHR back in 2015 which involved flying the route on planning software on a daily basis for over 2 years with a near full payload and using the winds of the day

Qantas has been flying the new nonstop Perth-London route for more than two years — on computers.
The service begins on March 24. According to Qantas chief technical pilot Alex Passerini, planning for what will be the longest 787 flight began in 2015 when sophisticated strategic planning software was used to examine the route’s viability.
That process involved “flying” the 787 from Perth to London with a near full payload every day using the winds of the day to see what was the optimum flight path and build a database of experience on the performance.
“That allows us to build an archive of data — how the aeroplane performs, the weather conditions that we encounter and that sort of thing,” Capt. Passerini said.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/qantas-f ... b88763630z

New menu has been launched for PER-LHR. Combined research from the University of Sydney Charles Perkins Centre along with Neil Perry, the Director of Food, Beverage and Service for Qantas has designed menus that increase hydration and help reduce jetlag along with creating dishes that encourage sleep at certain times during the flight

Included in the menu

Probiotic Bc30 infused Botanica cold pressed juice shots
A bespoke herbal tea, which encourages relaxation developed especially for Qantas by Dilmah, made from lemon verbena chamomile and lemongrass
Dishes which feature ingredients that promote hydration such as green leafy vegetables, cucumber, strawberries and celery
Tailoring specific ingredients (such as chilli) to particular times of the day
Lighter meal options (e.g. tuna poke salad bowl)
A hot chocolate bedtime drink with the combination of warm milk and chocolate containing the sleep inducing amino acid Tryptophan to help prompt the body’s sleep cycle
Organic kombucha by Remedy: a live cultured, sparkling drink full of natural probiotics that assist with digestion.

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... l-flights/

For pictures of the new menu refer to

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f9y062r50tsr ... y6yAa?dl=0

Great summary there! Non-Australians really don't understand what a big deal this is for us Aussies! :)

I've done the Qatar Auckland to Doha service and return (twice now) and that has been 17 hours and 18 hours flying in one go. It's no big deal as once you reach a certain amount of hours, it just carries on.

The Qantas London Lounge is quite nice indeed, I had the pleasure of visiting on the press day when it opened. For my personal taste though, I still like the Cathay Pacific lounge next door a little bit more.

With regards to the special menu and so on - it's all very hipster, isn't it? :)

Anyway, quite looking forward to this flight being operational. It's quite exciting!

Arion640

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm

While this is a fantastic day for Aviation and as synical as this sounds, the real truimph day will be when SYD-LHR is flown non-stop.

peterinlisbon

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 pm

I suppose Qantas wants people to fly on Qantas and not on Emirates planes and London is probably a pretty large percentage of the European market for them. They don't want to share it. They just need to add a non-stop London-Sydney and they'll be set.

777PHX

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 pm

inflightVideo wrote:
I'm on the inaugural flight from London to Perth, so you'll be able to fly the entire route virtually from the comfort of your home once I've uploaded a 17 hour video to YouTube of course :D

Big Jet TV are also filming the departure from LHR live, and I'll be live at points throughout the flight :)

I'd rather watch paint dry.

SuperTwin

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789,

There certainly has been a lot negative views towards this up coming service but when look back to a 55hr trip to LHR reduced down to 17.5hrs it’s impressive how far air travel has come.

Wish QF the best on this adventure hopefully opens up Australia’s hub to the world.

EK413

I’ll second that. Great post. 10 days and 37 stops down to a single non-stop 17.5hr flight.

Incredible to think how far aviation has come in those ~80 years.

inflightVideo

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:37 pm

777PHX wrote:

It’s going to be a great experience, although flying back on the AKL-DOH within 24 hours is probably going to be a killer!

BA2037

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:45 pm

So, where does this flight rank on the worlds longest flights then?

TC957

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:49 pm

777PHX wrote:
inflightVideo wrote:

Some aviation enthusiast you are !

inflightVideo

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:01 pm

BA2037 wrote:

Second longest, after QR's AKL-DOH. It's 22 miles shorter than AKL-DOH, 186 miles longer than EK's AKL-DXB.

XAM2175

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

BA2037 wrote:

By block time and GC distance, PER-LHR is No 2 on the currently-operated list - slightly behind QR AKL-DOH which is 35 km longer but blocked for 20 to 60 extra minutes. SQ EWR-SIN was about 350 km longer though when they were flying it.

In terms of total airborne time though it sits quite a way down the list - the overall record-holder there is the QF Double-Sunrise trip that clocked 32 hours and 9 minutes aloft, then the Fw 200 prototype BER-NYC in 24:56, TW's polar-route LON-SFO with the L-1694 that made the inaugural journey in 23 hours 19 mins, and then a few around the 20-hour mark like Airbus' A342 demonstration flight from PAR to AKL in 21:32 and 21:46 return, PK's 77L doing HKG-LHR the wrong way in 22:22, and QF7441 LHR-SYD with VH-OJA in 20:09.

But these are outliers :p

BA2037

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 pm

inflightVideo wrote:
BA2037 wrote:

Second longest, after QR's AKL-DOH. It's 22 miles shorter than AKL-DOH, 186 miles longer than EK's AKL-DXB.

Thanks. Wow that's a heck of a long way to go on a 787, absolutely impressive. As others have said, air travel sure has progressed during the years. I await peoples trip reports on the inaugural flight!

EK413

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Based the current flying patterns would appear “Great Southern Land” will op the inaugural PER-LHR service.

On the back of the inaugural PER-LHR the 1st QF A380 to receive a fresh coat of paint will ferry to DXB on the 24/3.

EK413

superjeff

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm not sure about Qantas' configuration of the 789. What's the pitch in Y? 31"? If so, yecch (although I think W will fill up more quickly on this long of a trip :-)

ClassicLover

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:58 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I suppose Qantas wants people to fly on Qantas and not on Emirates planes and London is probably a pretty large percentage of the European market for them. They don't want to share it. They just need to add a non-stop London-Sydney and they'll be set.

I think you're wrong there. Qantas passengers going anywhere else in Europe except London already fly to DXB on Emirates and then onwards to their European destination. There are a lot more people going to Europe than the daily Qantas flight from Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne you know. Singapore do very well out of Australia, so do Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways and more.

For London to Australia it's a big deal and the Sydney to London will be the big goal. Should be fun to go on once it happens. I know I'll take it!

smi0006

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
BA2037 wrote:

By block time and GC distance, PER-LHR is No 2 on the currently-operated list - slightly behind QR AKL-DOH which is 35 km longer but blocked for 20 to 60 extra minutes. SQ EWR-SIN was about 350 km longer though when they were flying it.

In terms of total airborne time though it sits quite a way down the list - the overall record-holder there is the QF Double-Sunrise trip that clocked 32 hours and 9 minutes aloft, then the Fw 200 prototype BER-NYC in 24:56, TW's polar-route LON-SFO with the L-1694 that made the inaugural journey in 23 hours 19 mins, and then a few around the 20-hour mark like Airbus' A342 demonstration flight from PAR to AKL in 21:32 and 21:46 return, PK's 77L doing HKG-LHR the wrong way in 22:22, and QF7441 LHR-SYD with VH-OJA in 20:09.

But these are outliers :p

Something to remember when people rate it’s too long a route and no one will fly it - yet QR seem to manage, and with the right equipment so will SQ. Aussies, and Kiwis for that matter have a different perception on distance and travel time as everything is so far away.

This is a fantastic route, and I wish it all the success. Hoping we see the PER hub grow over the coming years!!

qf002

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:18 pm

superjeff wrote:
I'm not sure about Qantas' configuration of the 789. What's the pitch in Y? 31"? If so, yecch (although I think W will fill up more quickly on this long of a trip :-)

32" in Y and one of the less dense configurations overall with 236 seats (only JL and NH have less seats on a 787-9 without F).

XAM2175

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

I think you're wrong there. Qantas passengers going anywhere else in Europe except London already fly to DXB on Emirates and then onwards to their European destination.

Indeed - unless the QF-EK JBA has changed, the metal-neutrality provisions actually mean QF arguably don't want people flying on their planes :p

Hence QF offer MEL-PER-LHR as the "premium" option, SYD-DXB/SIN-LHR as the more standard-level choice (piggybacking with SIN traffic), and everybody else jumps aboard an EK bird and QF get the exact same net revenue with none of the bother.

Adding the SYD-LHR non-stop will be aimed mainly at the PR value and will be positioned to skim the really-fine cream off the premium demand.

smi0006 wrote:
Something to remember when people rate it’s too long a route and no one will fly it... Aussies, and Kiwis for that matter have a different perception on distance and travel time as everything is so far away.

Wasn't all that long ago that the Southern Aurora train service SYD-MEL-SYD was blocked for 2000 departure and 0900+1 arrival... Today's journey time on the XPT is a bit better but still dep 2042 arr 0730+1 :p

jfk777

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 am

Lets hope Alan Joyce excercises some of those options for more 787-9 at the inaugural next week.

Gemuser

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 am

jfk777 wrote:
Lets hope Alan Joyce excercises some of those options for more 787-9 at the inaugural next week.

I wish people would stop this! QF have stated that the options will only be exercised when they come due! So unless you know the expiry dates, [which AFAIK are NOT public], any speculation is pointless.
Now QF did recently let one option expire but from QF's language in the press release, it looks more like they were able to get Boeing to defer/change expiry date of that option. My opinion only.
You really have to recognize that QF have a major capital expenditure problem, even more so that other capital intensive industries in Australia and that will control when ANY orders/options are placed, not any other consideration.

Gemuser

cedarjet

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:00 am

I’m on the inaugural LHR PER and I promise not to post the whole 17h but updates and info for sure

seabosdca

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 am

The 787-9 is simply a powerhouse. 15 years ago, the only airliner that could have operated this flight would have been the A340-500, and it would have used more than 50% more fuel.

Whether this is the right business decision for Qantas, especially now that the Perth boom seems to have receded... that's a better question.

unrave

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:09 am

I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere before, but are QF's 789 fitted with additional fuel tanks to be able to fly PER-LHR non stop?

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 am

seabosdca wrote:
The 787-9 is simply a powerhouse. 15 years ago, the only airliner that could have operated this flight would have been the A340-500, and it would have used more than 50% more fuel.

Whether this is the right business decision for Qantas, especially now that the Perth boom seems to have receded... that's a better question.

what about the 77L?

AirbusA322

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24n March

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:33 am

What are the Australian planned diversion ports? ADL? Any chance it could make MEL?

As the Australian Summer has just come to an end the season of fog/wind/rain is about to start!

moa999

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:27 am

cedarjet wrote:
I’m on the inaugural LHR PER and I promise not to post the whole 17h but updates and info for sure
Guess we're lucky the plane doesn't have inflight Internet then.

Qantas16

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 am

AirbusA322 wrote:
What are the Australian planned diversion ports? ADL? Any chance it could make MEL?

As the Australian Summer has just come to an end the season of fog/wind/rain is about to start!

ADL is most likely. Would not be MEL given that's 3 hours away. Given it arrives in PER at 1300 though, should be pretty right.

jrfspa320

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:41 am

AirbusA322 wrote:

Cunderdin obviously, would certainly provide a "cultural" experience of real Australia.....

In all seriousness, PER has been upgraded to CAT 3 B so the chances of diversion will be much less now. I would imagine LEA would be the only technically suitable airfield within range if there was a need to divert. I would imagine this decision may need to be made at a certain distance before reaching PER, but i'm sure someone else will know more on the technical details.

RAAF Pearce might be an option. I think GET and KGI might be possible in an emergency but runway length would be tight.

Busselton is also in the process of runway lengthening at the moment, which might make it viable.

smi0006

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 am

AirbusA322 wrote:

Won’t make it to MEL.

I’d say LEA - Learnonth. It’s a RAAF base but has often handled international diversions. QF, CX. No customs, so federal police have to process pax, closest station is 4hrs away. Not somewhere you want an aircraft stuck. Would always be gas and go! BME too maybe? Is the runway long enough?

I’d say with any long haul route (and QF would have this down to a fine art) the decision to divert due fuel or weather would be made early. Tech is obviously a different circumstance.

EK413

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 am

Just touching on the preferred ports for the east bound KTA & 2nd alternate would more than likely be LEA.

EK413

LAXLHR

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:27 am

Qantas16 wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

ADL is most likely. Would not be MEL given that's 3 hours away. Given it arrives in PER at 1300 though, should be pretty right.

ADL? Are you joking? :-) After flying from London I do not see how this plane will have reserves for another 2.5-3 hours, plus additional diversion/go around fuel at ADL. Perhaps I'm missed something....

ben175

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:53 am

With people under the assumption of QF dropping this route once LHR-SYD becomes viable, will be interesting to see if BA ever attempts LHR-PER in the future.

I do think that QF will hold their ground on this one. It’s had far too much publicity to drop it after 2 or so years.

RalXWB

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am

How many seats do they block...40, 50?

getluv

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:20 am

RalXWB wrote:

After the initial few services which they've block off seats for media and VIPs, zero.
Last edited by getluv on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

sevenair

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:22 am

What would be the environmental impact of this (and other) ultra long haul flights? Is it better for the environment than two flights via a hub?

RalXWB

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 am

So where does the -9 suddenly get all this range from with full pax and stuff?

redroo

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 am

RalXWB wrote:

The qantas 789 is lightly configured with only 236!seats. Of that only 160 are economy. They have also gone tonc considerable lengths to minimise weight.

It is at the absolute edge of the aircrafts capabilities but they are confident they can do it.

redroo

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 am

unrave wrote:
I'm sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere before, but are QF's 789 fitted with additional fuel tanks to be able to fly PER-LHR non stop?

No it is a standard build 789 but with 236 seats onboard.

aeropix

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 am

It seems like the range of all Airliners gets extended as the planes mature and operators get comfortable with them.

I remember when I was in High School, the very first United 747-400 was flown Non-Stop from ORD to HKG with great fanfare. How it was done was by chilling the fuel to make it "extra-high density" (I am not making this up). Followed by a night-time departure where the 744 was towed to the end of the departure runway (again, I am serious) to save on the Taxi fuel. And they did this routinely for at least a year before they got comfortable with the program and started using "normal" fuel and letting it taxi out on it's own power.

Compare that to today, where airliners of many types do this trip routinely, without being afforded any special handling or priority, and it is easy to foresee a time when, as the 787 or 777-X programs mature, SYD-LHR and v.v. will be routine and we won't think twice about it anymore.

outbackair

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 am

TC957 wrote:
777PHX wrote:
inflightVideo wrote:

Some aviation enthusiast you are !

I think you will find that normal people (enthusiasts) don't sit watching a Go-pro UNEDITED video for 17 hours, especially when it's pitch black inside and outside the cabin. Take off, landing and maybe a snap shot of the meal (max 5 minutes) would be quite enough for 99.9% of enthusiasts. I think it's all about ego (= look how many likes I have!!!!). Try Just Planes Videos for REAL aviation videos.

eamondzhang

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 am

LAXLHR wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
AirbusA322 wrote:

ADL? Are you joking? :-) After flying from London I do not see how this plane will have reserves for another 2.5-3 hours, plus additional diversion/go around fuel at ADL. Perhaps I'm missed something....

ADL is the preferred diversion airport for many of the international flights that go to PER. I'm not saying it will be the case for LHR-PER though.

Michael

anstar

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789,

EK413

Worth noting the 17.5 is from PER and the 55 was from SYD... so its more like 22/23 hours still from SYD.

waoz1

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 am

eamondzhang wrote:
LAXLHR wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

ADL is the preferred diversion airport for many of the international flights that go to PER. I'm not saying it will be the case for LHR-PER though.

Michael

Not anymore
Perth always has wind... always know when I am home having a bumpy ride in so that wont change.
Also with the new CAT upgrades no need to divert east - CATIII b auto-land

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/perth ... b88684921z

eamondzhang

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 am

waoz1 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
LAXLHR wrote:

Michael

Not anymore
Perth always has wind... always know when I am home having a bumpy ride in so that wont change.
Also with the new CAT upgrades no need to divert east - CATIII b auto-land

https://thewest.com.au/news/perth/perth ... b88684921z

Well, crew and airline has to be certified for CATIII operation before they can utilise it. And there can be instances where the airport is closed, forcing you to divert. I know at least one airline that flies into PER, CZ, that will probably not use the autoland as the majority of their crew won't be certified to use even CAT IIIa, let alone IIIB.

So back to topic, it will be interesting to watch if any of the QF10 flight needs to divert in case they can't land into PER for whatever reason.

Michael

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am

redroo wrote:
RalXWB wrote:

The qantas 789 is lightly configured with only 236!seats. Of that only 160 are economy. They have also gone tonc considerable lengths to minimise weight.

It is at the absolute edge of the aircrafts capabilities but they are confident they can do it.

The published range of the 789from Boeing is 7635nm based on a 2 class aircraft with 290 passengers. QF publishes the range of the 789 with 236 seats at 7828nm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos