StudiodeKadent
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:46 am

Cunard wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
Is it really aimed at white people who don’t want stopovers in ‘foreign ‘ places ???

There was a shocking lack of passenger diversity on the inaugural flight ... it made me less likely to ever visit Perth

What an ignorant comment...


Galwayman without doubt wins the award for the being the most ignorant as well as being the most ridiculous person to have posted in this thread!


Indeed. The traditional stop-overs for Australians on the way to Europe are Singapore and HK. Hardly "white" places. Yes, we Australians are so racist we're basically Singapore Airlines' favorite non-Singaporean market!

Oh, and the love Australians have for Singapore and Hong Kong is very well-known.

Pretty much every South-East Asian airline tries to target the Australia-Europe Kangaroo Route market too. Thai, Malaysia, Garuda, Eva, China Airlines, Cathay, SQ, all of them dip a toe in the Australia-Europe market.

Only someone who knows nothing at all about Australian travel culture would claim that QF's Perth-to-London route is racist or motivated by fear of "foreign" stop-overs. At most, some LGBT or Jewish Australians find the idea of a stopover in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Qatar frightening. Now of course this is based on outdated stereotypes about the UAE, but there are legitimate reasons for LGBT or Jewish Australians to be scared of Jihadism (even if they are mistaken in associating Jihadism with Emirates or Etihad or even Qatar Airways).

But Australians have been making "foreign stopovers" ever since the start of the Kangaroo Route and we've been happy doing so, indeed even liking doing so, for literally decades.

That said, we know how these 'discussions' go. If Australians like foreign stopovers in Asia, the next accusation will be "Australians are racist and buy into Orientalist fantasies for liking Asian stopovers." If that doesn't work, the next accusation will be "Australians prefer Hong Kong and Singapore, both of which were former British colonies, and thus they're racist and colonialist for wanting to stop over in those cities and the Asian populations of these cities are really Bananas/Coconuts and not REALLY Asian people" blah blah blah. Its almost like these 'discussions' are designed to make it impossible for racism to be disproven.

Anyway, I'll leave the off-topic discussion. Congratulations Qantas! As an Australian I look forward to seeing how things continue to develop with respect to Perth-as-a-hub-to-Europe and also the upcoming Project Sunrise.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8211
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 am

Another review on Economy on QF9, this time from Australian Aviation.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... us-on-qf9/

Also onboard was a frequent traveller to Asia and Europe who is a QFF and usually travels in business, but had to travel in economy due to no availability in premium economy

“It was above my expectations,” Williamson told Australian Aviation moments after the flight touched down.
“My personal feeling and well-being is better after this flight than after a 12-hour flight from Sydney to Beijing on a Qantas Airbus A330.
“I think the configuration of these economy class seats is very smart and the food I have eaten has been very good.”


Some photos below of dining onboard

Menu for economy

Image

Dinner - Chicken with red rice and vegetables, garlic infused bread roll and panna cota

Image

Breakfast - Eggs (Omelette), beans, bacon, sausages and hash brown

Image

Self service snack bar

Image

Image
Forum Moderator
 
parapente
Posts: 3061
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:58 am

I first flew into Perth via SA on my way to Sydney.I was in no rush so took a few weeks holiday.It opened my eyes to how much there was there.Great city of course, and Rotnest island/beachesBut to the north the pinnacles,monkey Mia,coral bay etc.Inland wave rock, riding in the outback,red kangaroos,I then dropped down to Alberny and the coast,Jarra forests and lastly round to the wine district etc.
The marketing boys make everyone want to see 'the harbour bridge and ayres rock' so naturally everybody thinks you 'have' to go East.You don't at all.
I think over time one might see quite a boom in 2 week winter holidays from Europe to Perth now that you only loose a (normal) days travel each way.Just a thought.
 
Whoopeecock
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:00 am

travaz wrote:
On my bucket list is PER-LHR LHR-LAX (NZ 1) Than QF LAX SYD SYD PER. That would be awesome. 787-9, 747-400, A380, 737-800.

NZ1 hasn’t been a 747 for quite a few years. 773 now.
 
Waterbomber
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

qf789 wrote:
Another review on Economy on QF9, this time from Australian Aviation.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... us-on-qf9/

Also onboard was a frequent traveller to Asia and Europe who is a QFF and usually travels in business, but had to travel in economy due to no availability in premium economy

“It was above my expectations,” Williamson told Australian Aviation moments after the flight touched down.
“My personal feeling and well-being is better after this flight than after a 12-hour flight from Sydney to Beijing on a Qantas Airbus A330.
“I think the configuration of these economy class seats is very smart and the food I have eaten has been very good.”


Some photos below of dining onboard

Menu for economy

Image

Dinner - Chicken with red rice and vegetables, garlic infused bread roll and panna cota

Image

Breakfast - Eggs (Omelette), beans, bacon, sausages and hash brown

Image

Self service snack bar

Image

Image



Meh, looks like prison food. OW partners BA and JAL do a lot better than that on much shorter flights.
Top notch fares, LCC service.

In addition, this is the inaugural service. In a few days or weeks, they'll revert to "standard" catering, no doubt.
Last edited by Waterbomber on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:15 am

Waterbomber wrote:
Meh. OW partners BA and JAL do a lot better than that on much shorter flights.
Top notch fares, LCC service.


Last time I checked, LCCs don't provide complimentary meals and liquor with one's ticket. Nor do they have in-flight snack bars.

Also, QF may have gotten rid of the appetizer in economy, but they've compensated via bigger main.

Yes, JAL has very very good service (seriously I was lucky enough to enjoy JAL First at one point and it was the best flight of my life), but Qantas are hardly "LCC". They're very good by international standards, and any reasonable critique would acknowledge this.
 
qf002
Posts: 3558
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 am

vhtje wrote:
Is this the first time a single-deck QF aircraft has been seen at LHR since QF 707s were around in the mid-1970s?

I am aware there was a BAe146 doing scheduled QF MAN-LHR runs in a slot-protection exercise in the early 2000s, but I do not think it was in a QF livery. I cannot think of any other type QF would have had at LHR. A330? 767? I cannot think of a time, unless there was a a one-off charter or delivery flight that went through Heathrow?


The ex-BA 767s that QF took delivery of in the early-2000s all departed LHR as QF aircraft and in QF livery.

I don't think a QF A330 has ever touched LHR though from memory it almost happened when the A380 fleet was grounded in 2010. A few flights were planned to operate SIN-LHR via BAH or DXB (can't remember which) with A333s but then BA stepped in to provide additional nonstop flights instead.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8211
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 am

parapente wrote:
I first flew into Perth via SA on my way to Sydney.I was in no rush so took a few weeks holiday.It opened my eyes to how much there was there.Great city of course, and Rotnest island/beachesBut to the north the pinnacles,monkey Mia,coral bay etc.Inland wave rock, riding in the outback,red kangaroos,I then dropped down to Alberny and the coast,Jarra forests and lastly round to the wine district etc.
The marketing boys make everyone want to see 'the harbour bridge and ayres rock' so naturally everybody thinks you 'have' to go East.You don't at all.
I think over time one might see quite a boom in 2 week winter holidays from Europe to Perth now that you only loose a (normal) days travel each way.Just a thought.


Glad you enjoyed your trip here. As I have said for quite some time is that its not just about visiting Perth but throughout the state. Ok you cant see it all but we have so much natural scenery to enjoy. Just refer to

https://twitter.com/WestAustralia
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8211
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 am

MrHMSH wrote:
Out of interesr, where will the displaced A380s be moved to?


There were 5 A380's on MEL-DXB-LHR and SYD-DXB-LHR, now with a single SYD-SIN-LHR that will take 3 frames, 1 frame on MEL-SIN and the other frame is for repaints, the first went into paint at DXB on Saturday
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
MrHMSH
Posts: 2421
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 am

Out of interesr, where will the displaced A380s be moved to?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8211
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:12 am

Short 2 minute video from the cockpit of QF9 of takeoff and landing (unfortunately no sound)

https://twitter.com/Keg767/status/978210712597143552
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7694
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 am

Waterbomber wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Another review on Economy on QF9, this time from Australian Aviation.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... us-on-qf9/

Also onboard was a frequent traveller to Asia and Europe who is a QFF and usually travels in business, but had to travel in economy due to no availability in premium economy

“It was above my expectations,” Williamson told Australian Aviation moments after the flight touched down.
“My personal feeling and well-being is better after this flight than after a 12-hour flight from Sydney to Beijing on a Qantas Airbus A330.
“I think the configuration of these economy class seats is very smart and the food I have eaten has been very good.”


Some photos below of dining onboard

Menu for economy

Image

Dinner - Chicken with red rice and vegetables, garlic infused bread roll and panna cota

Image

Breakfast - Eggs (Omelette), beans, bacon, sausages and hash brown

Image

Self service snack bar

Image

Image



Meh, looks like prison food. OW partners BA and JAL do a lot better than that on much shorter flights.
Top notch fares, LCC service.

In addition, this is the inaugural service. In a few days or weeks, they'll revert to "standard" catering, no doubt.


I don’t really know what your beef is, and I shouldn’t waste my time with you, but I’ll bite nonetheless.

1) Every single meal I’ve had on Qantas, without exception, has tasted better than the meals I’ve had on BA. I only flew JL once 9 years ago, so can’t compare them.

2) “much shorter flights”? I assume you are aware that Qantas is one of only a handful of airlines that offer hot meals on sub-1 hour flights. How’s that going for BA these days?

3) “ordinary service”? You do know, don’t you, that is Qantas’ standard Economy catering. The catering would be all-but-identical on MEL-LAX or SYD-JNB. In Economy there really was nothing special about the service on the first flight.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1409
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Another review on Economy on QF9, this time from Australian Aviation.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... us-on-qf9/

Also onboard was a frequent traveller to Asia and Europe who is a QFF and usually travels in business, but had to travel in economy due to no availability in premium economy

“It was above my expectations,” Williamson told Australian Aviation moments after the flight touched down.
“My personal feeling and well-being is better after this flight than after a 12-hour flight from Sydney to Beijing on a Qantas Airbus A330.
“I think the configuration of these economy class seats is very smart and the food I have eaten has been very good.”


Some photos below of dining onboard

Menu for economy

Image

Dinner - Chicken with red rice and vegetables, garlic infused bread roll and panna cota

Image

Breakfast - Eggs (Omelette), beans, bacon, sausages and hash brown

Image

Self service snack bar

Image

Image



Meh, looks like prison food. OW partners BA and JAL do a lot better than that on much shorter flights.
Top notch fares, LCC service.

In addition, this is the inaugural service. In a few days or weeks, they'll revert to "standard" catering, no doubt.



let us not continue to feed the trolls please! nuf sayd
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
User avatar
cv990Coronado
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Perhaps slightly off topic but as far as I can see there is no QF metal flying to DXB anymore. That being so doesn't the QF/EK arrangement seem somewhat one-sided or is there something I am missing?

"QF 789" thanks for an amazing thread and congratulations QF on the technical and the marketing achievement.
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:28 pm

cv990Coronado wrote:
Perhaps slightly off topic but as far as I can see there is no QF metal flying to DXB anymore. That being so doesn't the QF/EK arrangement seem somewhat one-sided or is there something I am missing?


EK is the more powerful partner in the arrangement but the entire point behind this new direct flight to London is basically to stick it to Emirates (i.e. reclaim higher-yield passengers). They're QF's biggest competitor even in spite of the arrangement.

But yes, QF no longer fly their own metal to DXB. That's better for EK too, since EK is slot-restricted at DXB.

The thing is QF have quite a small fleet. They can't get every Australian-who-wants-to-go-to-Europe to every-European-city-said-Australians-want-to-go-to. Putting higher-yield passengers on QF metal and lower-yield passengers onto EK works fine for Qantas... they skim the market.
 
souterra
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:12 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 pm

I've never posted here before but I have been very impressed with the progress this flight and am glad it returned safely. Very well done Qantas and Boeing. Now to see the A350 do SIN-EWR.

Having said that, I'm not so sure I'd want to be in a plane for so long, except for the novelty value, perhaps.
 
User avatar
cv990Coronado
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:24 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:
cv990Coronado wrote:
Perhaps slightly off topic but as far as I can see there is no QF metal flying to DXB anymore. That being so doesn't the QF/EK arrangement seem somewhat one-sided or is there something I am missing?


EK is the more powerful partner in the arrangement but the entire point behind this new direct flight to London is basically to stick it to Emirates (i.e. reclaim higher-yield passengers). They're QF's biggest competitor even in spite of the arrangement.

But yes, QF no longer fly their own metal to DXB. That's better for EK too, since EK is slot-restricted at DXB.

The thing is QF have quite a small fleet. They can't get every Australian-who-wants-to-go-to-Europe to every-European-city-said-Australians-want-to-go-to. Putting higher-yield passengers on QF metal and lower-yield passengers onto EK works fine for Qantas... they skim the market.


Thanks that all makes perfect sense, EK is certainly a force to be reckoned with especially with their geographic and labour cost advantages. QF may be able to make a very profitable niche with non-stops to key places. If these work I would think a fleet configured more to suit ULH would be the way to go. With more J and Prem Y plus perhaps 8 across on the 787 or A350. This would give them a clear marketing edge and avoid blocking seats. I can see it obviously isn't practical with just this route but it might we be with 4 or 5 such routes.
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:08 pm

cv990Coronado wrote:
Thanks that all makes perfect sense, EK is certainly a force to be reckoned with especially with their geographic and labour cost advantages. QF may be able to make a very profitable niche with non-stops to key places. If these work I would think a fleet configured more to suit ULH would be the way to go.


Which is the entire rationale behind Project Sunrise. Fly over the connecting hubs to get to the biggest destinations. You can see the thought process already.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm

The thing is QF have quite a small fleet. They can't get every Australian-who-wants-to-go-to-Europe to every-European-city-said-Australians-want-to-go-to. Putting higher-yield passengers on QF metal and lower-yield passengers onto EK works fine for Qantas... they skim the market.


Sure. But of course if they wanted to and were sufficiently competitive, they could operate as many planes as they want to have a bigger share of the austrlaian long-haul market.
 
Miquel787
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:11 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 pm

QF 9 on route again...VH-ZNC..the first flight was a real happening..Now it.s just an ordinary flight.Picking up pace.Was thinking maybe this is a new route for KLM here in Holland..Amsterdam-Perth..It.s a while ago that KLM was flying to AUS.
 
danj555
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm sure my opinion will be corrected haha, but has anyone noticed that the 787 has been getting a lot of glory? It's credited with opening up secondary US cities to international traffic, opening up secondary Chinese cities; it did SIN - SFO first, and still has the LAX route to itself, now this PER - LHR flight.

It feels like the 787 is either beating the 359 to the punch or knocking it out entirely when it comes to the new route/ distance game. Thoughts?
 
richcandy
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 pm

qf789 wrote:
cc2314 wrote:
This has probably been covered..but how many if any Qantas flights will route via dxb from Australia to London?


None, QF1/2 is now routed through SIN


Could QF operate DRW-LHR non-stop?

If so would feeding traffic from say ADL/CNS/CBR/SYD via DRW to Europe be something that might be considered rather than via SIN?
 
Miquel787
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:11 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:56 pm

danj555 wrote:
I'm sure my opinion will be corrected haha, but has anyone noticed that the 787 has been getting a lot of glory? It's credited with opening up secondary US cities to international traffic, opening up secondary Chinese cities; it did SIN - SFO first, and still has the LAX route to itself, now this PER - LHR flight.

It feels like the 787 is either beating the 359 to the punch or knocking it out entirely when it comes to the new route/ distance game. Thoughts?


Boeing believed with the 787 in point to point direct flights..When Airbus introduced the A380 they were strongly convinced in hub to hub..So i guess for the 787 it worked out very well with opening a lot of new direct routes..
 
qf002
Posts: 3558
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm

richcandy wrote:
Could QF operate DRW-LHR non-stop?


Technically speaking they could but why? DRW is not much more than a large country town and has zero premium demand to support an ULH service to Europe.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm

Boeing believed with the 787 in point to point direct flights..When Airbus introduced the A380 they were strongly convinced in hub to hub..So i guess for the 787 it worked out very well with opening a lot of new direct routes..


Actually there are very few long and thin routes the 787 has opened up - I think we had a longish thread on this a while ago. As for PER-LHR - if the 787-9 would have the legs to do SYD/MEL/BNE-LHR nonstop, I doubt the route would exist.
 
SmithAir747
Posts: 1883
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:30 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Congratulations to QF on setting this milestone in aviation. I've flown QF twice (last year and in 2010) and love their service.

At 17h, QF9 is long enough to allow for watching 8 Star Wars movies back to back (whether you do it with all the main movies and not Rogue One, or any combination of them).

I have been on flights almost this long (LAX-MEL on a QF A380 and SYD-LAX on an AA 777 last September) in standard economy, and it's rough (in my experience, as I cannot sleep in upright airline seats (regardless of flight length, connections or nonstops) and I need my CPAP to breathe whilst sleeping). I'm going back to Australia in late April and early May, and this time, I'm flying in premium economy (LAX-SYD return on AA 789s) for the added comfort and (hopefully) ability to recline and get some sleep and plug in my CPAP. Still I prefer nonstops to connections, and take as few connections as possible and seek out nonstops whenever possible. The more nonstops, the better.

Despite the long flight, QF have treated me well both times I've flown them (to New Zealand in 2010 and LAX-MEL-PER-SYD last September). On the domestic trunk routes MEL-PER and PER-SYD they fly A330s and serve hot meals in economy, decent hot meals at that. I also love the fact that, in domestic terminals, people can go all the way to the gates to greet arriving passengers (I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted upon my arrival in PER by one of my hosts waiting at the gate).

If I ever end up moving back to London or moving to Australia, I might try the nonstop route between LHR and PER, but in premium economy (not standard economy). I've decided that from now on (since last September's DEN-LGW in premium on DY and my return from GRU to DFW on an AA upgrade in November), I'm using at least premium economy on LH and ULH flights.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)
 
airbazar
Posts: 9427
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:
EK is the more powerful partner in the arrangement but the entire point behind this new direct flight to London is basically to stick it to Emirates (i.e. reclaim higher-yield passengers). They're QF's biggest competitor even in spite of the arrangement.

Last I checked QF entered into the partnership with EK out of their own willingness. They were not forced to do so, so I don't see where the "stick it to Emirates" comes from. QF has zero benefit and interest in destroying their partnership with EK.
Partner airlines DO compete with eachother all over the world. This route is hardly the first time that this is happening but there's a huge world of difference between competing and "sticking it".

Just my 2 cents.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:40 pm

cv990Coronado wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:
cv990Coronado wrote:
Perhaps slightly off topic but as far as I can see there is no QF metal flying to DXB anymore. That being so doesn't the QF/EK arrangement seem somewhat one-sided or is there something I am missing?


The thing is QF have quite a small fleet. They can't get every Australian-who-wants-to-go-to-Europe to every-European-city-said-Australians-want-to-go-to. Putting higher-yield passengers on QF metal and lower-yield passengers onto EK works fine for Qantas... they skim the market.


...QF may be able to make a very profitable niche with non-stops to key places. If these work I would think a fleet configured more to suit ULH would be the way to go. With more J and Prem Y plus perhaps 8 across on the 787 or A350. This would give them a clear marketing edge and avoid blocking seats. I can see it obviously isn't practical with just this route but it might we be with 4 or 5 such routes.


airbazar wrote:
Last I checked QF entered into the partnership with EK out of their own willingness. They were not forced to do so, so I don't see where the "stick it to Emirates" comes from. QF has zero benefit and interest in destroying their partnership with EK.


This is the angle to remember - the original JBA had metal-neutrality for Aus-DXB-LHR and while I don't know where the new QF9/10 routing fits into this, the tie-up with EK has been of immense value in allowing QF to shed the deeply-unprofitable Euro network they used to run ex-SIN while - extraordinarily - expanding QF's virtual network beyond anything they could have got from BA and without the backtrack from London to boot. Introducing a few routes like this allows QF to skim back some of the cream of the Kangaroo Route traffic, which LHR dominates by far, but to steal a phrase - "for everything else there's Emirates".

On top of which, regardless of what QF do with a few score ultra-long-haul passengers each day, the JBA is worth a fortune to Emirates in the domestic codeshares with QF.

With regard to the configuration - QF have been pretty open about wanting to avoid specialised subfleets full stop. Even now in these early days for the 787 at QF the ability to piggy-pack the MEL-LAX-MEL services onto the end of MEL-PER-LHR-return is a flexibility they wouldn't have had they gone all-out on making the 789 a ULH-only bird, and there are some parallels with how they continue to prefer to block seats on QF8 out of DFW rather than come up with a less-dense layout for the A388 or 744ER, as it means a plane can come in from Dallas and within a few hours be packed to the gills for an out-and-back to SIN or HKG.

I understand too that the seat blockings on these early QF9 and 10 flights via PER were made out of an abundance of caution and are not actually necessary to the viability of the route

qf002 wrote:
richcandy wrote:
Could QF operate DRW-LHR non-stop?


Technically speaking they could but why? DRW is not much more than a large country town and has zero premium demand to support an ULH service to Europe.


Bingo here as well - if you're going to have to make a stop, you should at least make it somewhere worthwhile. DXB worked, and continues to work, because it connects to EK's global network, and the likes of SIN and HKG do because they have O&D demand of their own that can bolster yields not just to and from Australia but with the fifth-freedoms QF still hold, which is why QF1 and 2 have returned to SIN (it's also how, in addition to cost reductions made by moving to using the 77W and Mixed Fleet crews, BA have remained in SYD, because they can treat the flight as LHR-SIN with SYD the bonus offering). And on top of all this, they can then fly BNE-SIN, PER-SIN, etc etc, and mix those flights with O&D and connections.

With DRW, the O&D is so much lower and because of it there's not much in the way of existing capacity with which to feed any long-haul from there, which would lead to QF have to introduce flights from other cities to DRW for little reason other than to connect, and this is no good at all for yields.
 
StudiodeKadent
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 pm

airbazar wrote:
I don't see where the "stick it to Emirates" comes from.


IIRC, QF management were very frustrated when EK increased LHR frequencies and didn't put EK passengers onto QF metal. The result I think was that 2 x QF A380s into LHR daily was not viable (or at least not as profitable as redeploying the A380 on Asian routes). Remember that PER - LHR starts in MEL, so we should see this 787-9 service as a replacement for one of QF's daily A380 services.
 
undertheradar
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Waterbomber wrote:
Meh, looks like prison food. OW partners BA and JAL do a lot better than that on much shorter flights.
Top notch fares, LCC service.

In addition, this is the inaugural service. In a few days or weeks, they'll revert to "standard" catering, no doubt.


SO FUNNY how someone WHO HAS NOT done the flight can dispute the review of someone who ACTUALLY HAS.DONE THE FLIGHT. :rotfl:
AND the menu IS THE STANDARD MENU.
ANOTHER KEYBOARD 'EXPERT' (who seems to have first hand knowledge of prison food) :rol

Gotta love the trolls. They are good for a laugh :D
 
onlyboeing
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:27 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:16 am

This just truly shows how amazing of a plane the 789 really is. All these new ULH nonstop routes that for once are profitable. Apart from PER-LHR, UA's LAX/SFO-SIN comes to mind.

I've flow the SFO-SIN many times, and so have my parents; since we're from LA, they now take the LAX-SIN flight regularly. Like almost once a month regularly. They're a bit older, but they've never complained, and in fact, after decades of taking one or two stop options, much prefer the UA nonstop. In economy.

Each time I've taken the flights, as well as my parents, the flights have gone out full or close to full. Truly amazing. Can't see what the next couple years brings. Perhaps a 787-9ER?

Also can't wait to see what the A359/A359LR brings to the table. I love both Airbus and Boeing (yeah, despite my handle on a.net lol).

The world has truly become smaller.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:21 am

Some of the blocked seats were due to extra crew on board.
Does anyone what the Captain's was on the QF10 from LHR...I had a quick 2-3 min chat with him on arrival in Perth as we were leaving the plane. He kindly signed an old book i have about the Southern Cross but unfortunately I can't quite read it or remember his name.

Great flight. Didn't get much sleep on the whole flight (normally get 7-8 on the A380) but if I got 3-4 I rounded it up. Food and service A1+ in Y ....I've not been in a prison lately but if they are fed like this then it'd not surprising prison numbers are on the increase.
Good fresh and tasty food and plenty of snacks and nibbles. Really nothing to complain about.
Only thing that wasnt as good as the A380 was the choice on the ife, LHR PER, but oddly there was a lot more choice on the PER MEL sector.

Good flight as always from Qantas. Well done to a hard working crew.
 
SKAirbus
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:26 am

StudiodeKadent wrote:
Cunard wrote:
ikramerica wrote:
What an ignorant comment...


Galwayman without doubt wins the award for the being the most ignorant as well as being the most ridiculous person to have posted in this thread!


Indeed. The traditional stop-overs for Australians on the way to Europe are Singapore and HK. Hardly "white" places. Yes, we Australians are so racist we're basically Singapore Airlines' favorite non-Singaporean market!

Oh, and the love Australians have for Singapore and Hong Kong is very well-known.

Pretty much every South-East Asian airline tries to target the Australia-Europe Kangaroo Route market too. Thai, Malaysia, Garuda, Eva, China Airlines, Cathay, SQ, all of them dip a toe in the Australia-Europe market.

Only someone who knows nothing at all about Australian travel culture would claim that QF's Perth-to-London route is racist or motivated by fear of "foreign" stop-overs. At most, some LGBT or Jewish Australians find the idea of a stopover in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Qatar frightening. Now of course this is based on outdated stereotypes about the UAE, but there are legitimate reasons for LGBT or Jewish Australians to be scared of Jihadism (even if they are mistaken in associating Jihadism with Emirates or Etihad or even Qatar Airways).

But Australians have been making "foreign stopovers" ever since the start of the Kangaroo Route and we've been happy doing so, indeed even liking doing so, for literally decades.

That said, we know how these 'discussions' go. If Australians like foreign stopovers in Asia, the next accusation will be "Australians are racist and buy into Orientalist fantasies for liking Asian stopovers." If that doesn't work, the next accusation will be "Australians prefer Hong Kong and Singapore, both of which were former British colonies, and thus they're racist and colonialist for wanting to stop over in those cities and the Asian populations of these cities are really Bananas/Coconuts and not REALLY Asian people" blah blah blah. Its almost like these 'discussions' are designed to make it impossible for racism to be disproven.

Anyway, I'll leave the off-topic discussion. Congratulations Qantas! As an Australian I look forward to seeing how things continue to develop with respect to Perth-as-a-hub-to-Europe and also the upcoming Project Sunrise.


Outdated stereotypes about the UAE? It is still illegal to be gay there (as it is in all Arab states and indeed Singapore) but in in the UAE, unlike Singapore, they still enforce this law. I think LGBT people have every reason to avoid countries like the UAE and Qatar. I certainly do - I am not putting my safety at risk, nor do I feel I should have to hide who I am.
Base: BRU
 
Arion640
Posts: 2351
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:14 am

SKAirbus wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Galwayman without doubt wins the award for the being the most ignorant as well as being the most ridiculous person to have posted in this thread!


Indeed. The traditional stop-overs for Australians on the way to Europe are Singapore and HK. Hardly "white" places. Yes, we Australians are so racist we're basically Singapore Airlines' favorite non-Singaporean market!

Oh, and the love Australians have for Singapore and Hong Kong is very well-known.

Pretty much every South-East Asian airline tries to target the Australia-Europe Kangaroo Route market too. Thai, Malaysia, Garuda, Eva, China Airlines, Cathay, SQ, all of them dip a toe in the Australia-Europe market.

Only someone who knows nothing at all about Australian travel culture would claim that QF's Perth-to-London route is racist or motivated by fear of "foreign" stop-overs. At most, some LGBT or Jewish Australians find the idea of a stopover in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Qatar frightening. Now of course this is based on outdated stereotypes about the UAE, but there are legitimate reasons for LGBT or Jewish Australians to be scared of Jihadism (even if they are mistaken in associating Jihadism with Emirates or Etihad or even Qatar Airways).

But Australians have been making "foreign stopovers" ever since the start of the Kangaroo Route and we've been happy doing so, indeed even liking doing so, for literally decades.

That said, we know how these 'discussions' go. If Australians like foreign stopovers in Asia, the next accusation will be "Australians are racist and buy into Orientalist fantasies for liking Asian stopovers." If that doesn't work, the next accusation will be "Australians prefer Hong Kong and Singapore, both of which were former British colonies, and thus they're racist and colonialist for wanting to stop over in those cities and the Asian populations of these cities are really Bananas/Coconuts and not REALLY Asian people" blah blah blah. Its almost like these 'discussions' are designed to make it impossible for racism to be disproven.

Anyway, I'll leave the off-topic discussion. Congratulations Qantas! As an Australian I look forward to seeing how things continue to develop with respect to Perth-as-a-hub-to-Europe and also the upcoming Project Sunrise.


Outdated stereotypes about the UAE? It is still illegal to be gay there (as it is in all Arab states and indeed Singapore) but in in the UAE, unlike Singapore, they still enforce this law. I think LGBT people have every reason to avoid countries like the UAE and Qatar. I certainly do - I am not putting my safety at risk, nor do I feel I should have to hide who I am.


As much as I think the UAE and Emirates are great, i totally understand your point of view.
223 319 320 321 333 346 359 388 733 73G 738 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 773 77W 788 789 MD83 E145 E175 E195 RJ85 F70 DH8C DH8D AT75

Brexit - It’s time for global Britain.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 768
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 am

Waterbomber wrote:

Meh, looks like prison food. OW partners BA and JAL do a lot better than that on much shorter flights.
Top notch fares, LCC service.

In addition, this is the inaugural service. In a few days or weeks, they'll revert to "standard" catering, no doubt.


Lol, I flew BA shorthaul out of LHR in December 2017 and I distinctly remember getting no complimentary food and instead being forced to pay for food ('buy on board'). If that's your definition of "a lot better" than we shall have to agree to disagree.

But who I am to dispute an expert like yourself. :lol:
319_320_321_332_333_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 am

StudiodeKadent wrote:
Remember that PER - LHR starts in MEL, so we should see this 787-9 service as a replacement for one of QF's daily A380 services.


That's already happened. The new routings are:
QF01/02 SYD-SIN-LHR/LHR-SIN-SYD A388
QF09/10 MEL-PER-LHR/LHR-PER-MEL B789


Accordingly there are now no flights to or from DXB on QF metal.
 
MarcusG
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:21 am

Greetings all,

Quick shot of ZND departing for the inaugural service. Perth Airport organised some lighting to keep the viewing area open a little longer than usual which was much appreciated.

 
BHXLOVER
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:25 am

danj555 wrote:
I'm sure my opinion will be corrected haha, but has anyone noticed that the 787 has been getting a lot of glory? It's credited with opening up secondary US cities to international traffic, opening up secondary Chinese cities; it did SIN - SFO first, and still has the LAX route to itself, now this PER - LHR flight.

It feels like the 787 is either beating the 359 to the punch or knocking it out entirely when it comes to the new route/ distance game. Thoughts?


It could be argued that the 787-9 is not completely ideal for this route as I believe they are currently operating with 20 seats blocked off.

And as discussed on here, QF are looking at a true ULR aircraft for the future. Presumably the 787's will then move to routes for which they are perfectly suited .
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:42 am

XAM2175 wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:
so we should see this 787-9 service as a replacement for one of QF's daily A380 services.


That's already happened. The new routings are


Unless I was meant to read that as "we should view this 789 service...", in which case sorry for being preachy!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8211
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am

BHXLOVER wrote:
danj555 wrote:
I'm sure my opinion will be corrected haha, but has anyone noticed that the 787 has been getting a lot of glory? It's credited with opening up secondary US cities to international traffic, opening up secondary Chinese cities; it did SIN - SFO first, and still has the LAX route to itself, now this PER - LHR flight.

It feels like the 787 is either beating the 359 to the punch or knocking it out entirely when it comes to the new route/ distance game. Thoughts?


It could be argued that the 787-9 is not completely ideal for this route as I believe they are currently operating with 20 seats blocked off.

And as discussed on here, QF are looking at a true ULR aircraft for the future. Presumably the 787's will then move to routes for which they are perfectly suited .


The 787-9 is completely ideal for this route. The 20 blocked seats on the flight is only for the first 2 weeks. This is because this is a completely new route and QF wants to make sure they can make it to LHR without diverting. After the first 2 weeks they also plan to have some cargo on the flight as well, they are just being cautious at the moment. Even if there where 20 seats blocked that will not be an issue, the seats would be cheapish economy seats anyway, as long as the premium classes and full or close to it they will make money on it which has already been reported that forward bookings in Business and Premium Economy are around 90%. QF are also no stranger to operating flights where they need to block seats, a lot more than 20 seats are blocked on DFW-SYD and that operates fine. PER-LHR is exactly the type of route that QF bought the 789 for and expect similar routes to be opened up whether its PER-CDG, PER-FRA, BNE-ORD, MEL-DFW
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7694
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:46 am

BHXLOVER wrote:
danj555 wrote:
I'm sure my opinion will be corrected haha, but has anyone noticed that the 787 has been getting a lot of glory? It's credited with opening up secondary US cities to international traffic, opening up secondary Chinese cities; it did SIN - SFO first, and still has the LAX route to itself, now this PER - LHR flight.

It feels like the 787 is either beating the 359 to the punch or knocking it out entirely when it comes to the new route/ distance game. Thoughts?


It could be argued that the 787-9 is not completely ideal for this route as I believe they are currently operating with 20 seats blocked off.

And as discussed on here, QF are looking at a true ULR aircraft for the future. Presumably the 787's will then move to routes for which they are perfectly suited .


For the upteenth time, 20 seats are blocked for the first 2 weeks and then there will be no limitations.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:52 am

BHXLOVER wrote:
It could be argued that the 787-9 is not completely ideal for this route as I believe they are currently operating with 20 seats blocked off.

And as discussed on here, QF are looking at a true ULR aircraft for the future. Presumably the 787's will then move to routes for which they are perfectly suited .


Every indication is that the blocking on these flights has been to accommodate a flexible number of media and operations personnel rather than out of technical necessity, although of course any seats that did go empty would have had the effect of increasing endurance.

It's mentioned up-thread that the blocking is not being applied to the more routine future flights.

Now, the blocks (and frequent cargo reroutes) for QF8, on the other hand... ;)

Arguably the winner of the Project Sunrise RFT will not be deployed on routes like this anyway - the 789's current premium-heavy configurationhas "long-and-thin" written all over it, right out of the revenue-manager's version of the 787 brochure.
 
tealnz
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:47 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:17 pm

It's not a trivial question, folks. The 789 is a fine aircraft. It will do ULH routes with lower density layouts. But even for long thin routes it has its limits. It's not a candidate for Project Sunrise. UA is blocking seats seasonally on SFO and LAX to Singapore. NZ say they need something with more range for their 77E replacement. It's certainly not a payload-range monster.
For PER-LHR we haven't seen a definitive answer on whether QF can carry 236 pax westbound all year round or whether there will be some days/seasons they'll need to block seats, or at least hold some seats until they have a forecast for the day. (Insiders must know the answer if they've been "flying" the route for the past year in their ops centre). Ditto on how much real cargo capacity they'll have westbound when they're carrying 236 pax. If someone has the numbers there's some of us would be interested to know.
 
ap305
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2000 4:03 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

danj555 wrote:
I'm sure my opinion will be corrected haha, but has anyone noticed that the 787 has been getting a lot of glory? It's credited with opening up secondary US cities to international traffic, opening up secondary Chinese cities; it did SIN - SFO first, and still has the LAX route to itself, now this PER - LHR flight.

It feels like the 787 is either beating the 359 to the punch or knocking it out entirely when it comes to the new route/ distance game. Thoughts?


The currently available 277t a359 which the likes of CX have can fly per-lhr with a payload of 30+t and will burn only 7-8t more fuel than the 789. Its not the a359's fault that QF does not have it in thier fleet :mischievous:
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm

With over 650 B787’s delivered vs 150 A350’s could have a lot to do with it too? :roll:

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
ap305
Posts: 1501
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2000 4:03 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:05 pm

EK413 wrote:
With over 650 B787’s delivered vs 150 A350’s could have a lot to do with it too? :roll:

EK413


Very obviously that is a part of the cause as well....
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna
 
vfw614
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:11 pm

What exactly is your point? The 787 has been around twice as long as the 350, so no surprise that there are more 787s in service than 350s:

First 787 commercial service: Oct 2011
First 359 commercial service: Jan 2015
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:21 pm

ap305 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
With over 650 B787’s delivered vs 150 A350’s could have a lot to do with it too? :roll:

EK413


Very obviously that is a part of the cause as well....


vfw614 wrote:
What exactly is your point? The 787 has been around twice as long as the 350, so no surprise that there are more 787s in service than 350s:

First 787 commercial service: Oct 2011
First 359 commercial service: Jan 2015


Simply pointing out Airbus hub-and-spoke was off the mark whilst Boeing point-to-point flying was the right move hence they had a giant leap ahead of their rival. Therefore as result Airbus are behind the eight ball playing catch-up.

The B789 & A350 are game changers, both brilliant aircraft however saying that QF selected what works and that’s the B789.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
vfw614
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:53 pm

As I said, there are not too many routes the 787 has really opened up. In most cases, it has simply replaced an older aircraft type on existing routes. There are some exceptions, either in the ULH arena such as PER-LHR or on niche routes such as TYO-DUS/BOS or LHR-AUS, but mostly the 787 is just another widebody.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:25 pm

vfw614 wrote:
As I said, there are not too many routes the 787 has really opened up. In most cases, it has simply replaced an older aircraft type on existing routes. There are some exceptions, either in the ULH arena such as PER-LHR or on niche routes such as TYO-DUS/BOS or LHR-AUS, but mostly the 787 is just another widebody.


We in the QF PER-LHR inaugural thread preferred remained that way & stick to the topic.

If you interested discussing B787 ULH suggest heading over to the correct thread...

viewtopic.php?t=587447

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos