User avatar
neomax
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:10 am

qf789 wrote:
QF9 has landed at LHR


The eagle has landed :D

I would imagine your screen name has waited quite a while for this day.
 
travaz
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 am

Congratulations to QF9 on a job well done.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14816
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 am

travaz wrote:
On my bucket list is PER-LHR LHR-LAX (NZ 1) Than QF LAX SYD SYD PER. That would be awesome. 787-9, 747-400, A380, 737-800.

Too bad they aren’t still running the 743 on SYD-PER. That was a fun flight.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
User avatar
JBusworth
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:14 am

Takeoff 7:00pm AWST
Landed 5:02am BST

17:02 hrs flight time
 
TN486
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:14 am

14500 km 17 hrs in the air, well done "spotty" and those all involved, crew, backroom, all of you, and a great airline to boot. So proud of you all.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
707Liner
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:15 am

Fantastic, well done to all!
 
Flightsimboy
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:16 am

History has been made.

Image

The route
Image
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:16 am

Video of the landing, its from a distance so not very clear

https://twitter.com/airlivenet/status/9 ... 0582209537
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 am

Forum Moderator
 
redroo
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:24 am

Awesome news.

Finally. A non stop flight from Australia to UK.
 
fromheretohere9
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:19 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:27 am

Does anyone have the loads for the flight ? I’m hoping it would have been full.
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:32 am

What do you do for 17 hours? I cant imagine being on a plane that long.


Reading about the flight seems cool and all though! lol
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:36 am

fromheretohere9 wrote:
Does anyone have the loads for the flight ? I’m hoping it would have been full.


The flight departed full with exception of y/c -20 blocked.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:40 am

Congratulations to Captain Lisa Norman & crew completing QF 1st Perth to London non-stop in 17hrs 3mins.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:41 am

danirich26 wrote:
Whats interesting is that fr24 seems to show it as having flown from DXB to LHR on the 24th as QF9 as well! I'll chalk it up to fr24 being confused, but it's on ZND's flight history which is odd! Shame if she was here in Dubai and i missed her!
[url]
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-znd#[/url]


The other QF9 flight you refer to was the last A388 QF9 flight which departed on the 23rd from MEL, 24th for the DXB-LHR sector
Forum Moderator
 
danirich26
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 am

Whats interesting is that fr24 seems to show it as having flown from DXB to LHR on the 24th as QF9 as well! I'll chalk it up to fr24 being confused, but it's on ZND's flight history which is odd! Shame if she was here in Dubai and i missed her!
[url]
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-znd#[/url]
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 am

FR24 playback for QF9

https://t.co/O4wMahy4I7
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:47 am

Some photos of the inflight map aboard QF9

Image

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/RedRiverRob/status/ ... 0791942144
Forum Moderator
 
An767
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:21 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:53 am

It will be interesting to hear passenger feed back on the flight, both good or bad.
Well done QF at least one National team did not dissapoint today. Although this would have been harder to cheat on :(
An767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away
 
travaz
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:01 am

This is so Fantastic. My first Aviation Memories are my Grand Ma and Grand Pa flying BDL GLA in 1955 on a DC 6 or 7. We were allowed to go on the plane and see them off. Now we have a non stop PER to LHR. It is fantastic.! Congratulations to everyone involved. Interestingly enough my Grand Mothers Brother immigrated to PER in 1921 from GLA. I am making my first trip to AU in October and can't wait.
 
Miquel787
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:11 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:07 am

Congrats to Qantas!! A historic day in aviation.And also to Boeing,this is proof of the tremendous potential of the 787.I followed the flight on flighttrack and it looked like a normal everyday flight..
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 am

VH-ZNA, Great Southern Land is operating the 2nd MEL-PER-LHR which is about to leave MEL

Here's a couple of stories on the flight onboard

https://thewest.com.au/travel/perth-lon ... b88785233z

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... -non-stop/
Forum Moderator
 
redroo
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:35 am

Thanks for all the updates qf789. Greatly appreciate the effort you’ve gone to.
 
redroo
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 am

qf789 wrote:
VH-ZNA, Great Southern Land is operating the 2nd MEL-PER-LHR which is about to leave MEL

Here's a couple of stories on the flight onboard

https://thewest.com.au/travel/perth-lon ... b88785233z

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... -non-stop/



From The West

“Despite the snorers and aching necks, we’d made this world-first flight with a good three hours to spare”
 
waoz1
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:54 am

redroo wrote:
qf789 wrote:
VH-ZNA, Great Southern Land is operating the 2nd MEL-PER-LHR which is about to leave MEL

Here's a couple of stories on the flight onboard

https://thewest.com.au/travel/perth-lon ... b88785233z

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qan ... -non-stop/



From The West

“Despite the snorers and aching necks, we’d made this world-first flight with a good three hours to spare”



So
Going by that article the one we saw recently about Perth to Paris might be correct.
Decision in december for sept 2019
Plus 90% load factors for premium is a good sign as well
 
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:15 am

AJ & crew look nice and refreshed considering the length of the journey. ;)

Well done QF once again.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 am

Many of our grumpy ol’ resident anetters have nothing good to say about this flight or momentous day in aviation history. They’re too busy whining about how they couldn’t do this and how they couldn’t do that. Enforcing restriction upon restriction on themselves, “I can’t do this, I can’t do that” until no spontaneity or fun exists.

The majority of people do prefer nonstop, yet some of you seem so defensive and almost angry
about this flight. It’s bizarre and counterintuitive, considering enthusiasts of any type are typically the most supportive of crazy ideas. In the coming decades ULH will be routine and then you guys can start complaining about the next frontline tier, but until then, let Qantas and it’s supporters have their day.

So while the majority of us choose the nonstop, you’ll be stuck in some crowded airport hell with kids screaming for hours and we’ll be sitting at the pub in London talking about the day. So, good luck with that gents.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:50 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
Many of our grumpy ol’ resident anetters have nothing good to say about this flight or momentous day in aviation history. They’re too busy whining about how they couldn’t do this and how they couldn’t do that. Enforcing restriction upon restriction on themselves, “I can’t do this, I can’t do that” until no spontaneity or fun exists.

The majority of people do prefer nonstop, yet some of you seem so defensive and almost angry
about this flight. It’s bizarre and counterintuitive, considering enthusiasts of any type are typically the most supportive of crazy ideas. In the coming decades ULH will be routine and then you guys can start complaining about the next frontline tier, but until then, let Qantas and it’s supporters have their day.

So while the majority of us choose the nonstop, you’ll be stuck in some crowded airport hell with kids screaming for hours and we’ll be sitting at the pub in London talking about the day. So, good luck with that gents.


Come read the Aust Av thread for the positivists (and realists!)
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:00 am

qf2220 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
Many of our grumpy ol’ resident anetters have nothing good to say about this flight or momentous day in aviation history. They’re too busy whining about how they couldn’t do this and how they couldn’t do that. Enforcing restriction upon restriction on themselves, “I can’t do this, I can’t do that” until no spontaneity or fun exists.

The majority of people do prefer nonstop, yet some of you seem so defensive and almost angry
about this flight. It’s bizarre and counterintuitive, considering enthusiasts of any type are typically the most supportive of crazy ideas. In the coming decades ULH will be routine and then you guys can start complaining about the next frontline tier, but until then, let Qantas and it’s supporters have their day.

So while the majority of us choose the nonstop, you’ll be stuck in some crowded airport hell with kids screaming for hours and we’ll be sitting at the pub in London talking about the day. So, good luck with that gents.


Come read the Aust Av thread for the positivists (and realists!)


Thanks! Will do :)
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1409
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:21 am

redroo wrote:
Thanks for all the updates qf789. Greatly appreciate the effort you’ve gone to.


I´ll second that, many thanks for all the effort & background info/sources!!!
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
User avatar
cv990Coronado
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 am

After reading the comments of an economy class passenger on this flight I now have a different perspective. Whereas I never doubted the appeal of this flight for J and Y+ I did for normal Y pax. A very good point she raises is not to have to wake up your children and drag them through security and neon lights, somewhere in the Middle East, in the middle of the night. Missing that experience is worth some $$.
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L
 
Waterbomber
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 am

I think that we can congratulate QF and its fans for the historic aspect.

I think though that the fans are being mislead.
If QF wants to, they can fly A380 plusses direct MEL-LHR as soon as 2020 in real comfort. That is what a flagship route deserves, not whatever QF is showing us here.

About flying 3 tons below MTOW, it's very possible. If you take OEW, full fuel and 21 tons of payload, you end up with 3 tons of MTOW to spare. It doesn't mean that there is more room for payload nor fuel. More payload would require more fuel but if the tanks are already topped off, you can't carry more.

Just goes to show that there is no room to spare.

As for those saying that a contingency fuel stop is an option, it is not when pax are paying for a non stop flight. Landing and fuelling up for a short flight could take hours for a widebody or even force to cancel and put people on other flights/hotels because you need to request new slots, crew duty time issues arise, etc...

As for holding at LHR, it could be caused by heavy snowfall, crosswinds forcing a go-around, thunderstorms, things that can even be forecasted and anticipated. Unfortunately, when you re already departing with a full tank of fuel, you can't trade pax for fuel at 1:1. You are going to leave pax with the intention to lower the fuel burn and the payload hit becomes enormous.

Either that, or take a fuel stop with the likelihood of crews timing out, unless they have a crew on standby all the time at a fuel stop location, with the cost that this entails.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:43 am

Here's a video news report

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/stat ... 0052990977

And a couple more accounts of the onboard experience, the one from the Australian is in a lot of detail, it may be behind a paywall so if you cant access let me know and I will send it through pm

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... um=Twitter

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... um=Twitter
Forum Moderator
 
Waterbomber
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:06 am

From the above article:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... um=Twitter

“We do have the rights to fly to Paris daily; we’ve never had those rights before,” he said.

“When we last did Paris it was from Singapore to Paris and it was three a week, and it was hard to make it economically work.

“So we are keen on it (starting a Perth to Paris route), we are interested in it, but we need to bed this one down first,” Mr Joyce said. “It’s off to a great start it’s only the first flight but we need to show that economically it’s going to work out.”


Mr. Joyce doesn't seem to be as confident as he was in the past. I can save QF the hassle and say that CDG won't work out financially the same way this flight won't work out financially even though it will be less of a suicide than CDG. After the novelty factor wears off, we will read complaint after complaint, the occasional diversion and ensuing discussions on sustainability.

With 40% of pax connecting and assuming that most of those are connecting from MEL and SYD, 40% of this flight competes against 1-stop options.

As for saving the hassle of dragging kids through connecting airports, the flip side is that someone is going to have his seatback kicked for 17 hours. A great sales point for low yield leisure flyers, not so much for those flying for work. Talking from experience.even though I love kids.

I don't understand that they even allow babies on these flights.
Last edited by Waterbomber on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
JustSomeDood
Posts: 377
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:11 am

Waterbomber wrote:
I think that we can congratulate QF and its fans for the historic aspect.

I think though that the fans are being mislead.
If QF wants to, they can fly A380 plusses direct MEL-LHR as soon as 2020 in real comfort. That is what a flagship route deserves, not whatever QF is showing us here.


So let me clarify this, your solution to the ULR profitability conundrum is to:
-Fly 1300+nm further
-Do it in a nonexistent derivative of a far more inefficient plane (CASM and trip cost-wise) , and
-Somehow sell well over double the tickets per flight just to break even vs the 787, as a result of the above point.

That's a killer elevator pitch right there....
 
QF744ER
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:30 am

Awesome work on this thread with your contributions qf789.

Does anyone know how the aircraft rotations are going to work, is it going to be a continuous 4 day cycle for the B789 flying MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-LAX-MEL?

Are 2 Dreamliners on the ground anywhere at the same time where they swapped over and the same aircraft can operate back to back say QF9's?

Along the lines of:

Day 1 -ZND
Day 2 -ZNA
Day 3 -ZNB or C
Day 4 -ZNB or C
Day 1 -ZND
Day 2 -ZNA......And so on in a repeating pattern.
 
waoz1
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:40 am

Waterbomber wrote:
From the above article:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... um=Twitter

“We do have the rights to fly to Paris daily; we’ve never had those rights before,” he said.

“When we last did Paris it was from Singapore to Paris and it was three a week, and it was hard to make it economically work.

“So we are keen on it (starting a Perth to Paris route), we are interested in it, but we need to bed this one down first,” Mr Joyce said. “It’s off to a great start it’s only the first flight but we need to show that economically it’s going to work out.”


Mr. Joyce doesn't seem to be as confident as he was in the past. I can save QF the hassle and say that CDG won't work out financially the same way this flight won't work out financially even though it will be less of a suicide than CDG. After the novelty factor wears off, we will read complaint after complaint, the occasional diversion and ensuing discussions on sustainability.

With 40% of pax connecting and assuming that most of those are connecting from MEL and SYD, 40% of this flight competes against 1-stop options.

As for saving the hassle of dragging kids through connecting airports, the flip side is that someone is going to have his seatback kicked for 17 hours. A great sales point for low yield leisure flyers, not so much for those flying for work. Talking from experience.even though I love kids.

I don't understand that they even allow babies on these flights.



Well that was a fail for a sunday
Firstly Qantas doesnt fly to Paris so doing to via Perth on their own metal would get passengers which is different from LHR as they have the choice of Singapore as well or a codeshare flight with EK
Secondly not all these connecting passengers are just melbourne and sydney.
Thirdly you want to complain about a kid kicking your seat for 17 hours how about the same kid kicking your seat for 20-21 from the east
Last edited by waoz1 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Group51
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 Marc

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:54 am

Good work Qantas! :old: I remember when it was 1 stop to reach Malaysia/Singapore.

The best economy seat I ever sat in was on Malaysian’s A380. If that experience and space can be replicated in ULH, I think it should change the game. It just seems more sensible to reach the country and then get a domestic flight. Interesting to hear about the computer modelling done to determine viability of the route, presumably that’s what they’re doing now with the A350-900ULR.

I have a good friend in Adelaide I will need to visit so I’ll be taking this flight I think.
 
User avatar
Flying Belgian
Posts: 1947
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:45 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 am

Did they need to reduce speed to avoid the night curfew in LHR ?

Yesterday evening whilst between India and Oman, the flight was meant to arrive well ahead of schedule in LHR (around 02.47 am LT) ?

Anyway great work from Qantas crew and ops dept. A symbolic milestone is achieved.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...
 
User avatar
neomax
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:27 am

Do they not dim the cabin lights for departure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krUiBdevkIk
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:42 am

An767 wrote:
It will be interesting to hear passenger feed back on the flight, both good or bad.
Well done QF at least one National team did not dissapoint today. Although this would have been harder to cheat on :(
An767


Sounds awful, and that food looks disgusting. I'm sure alot of lipstick is going to be painted on that Y experience.
https://thewest.com.au/travel/perth-lon ... b88785233z
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380
 
n729pa
Posts: 1065
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:49 am

Thanks QF789 for your efforts. Highly informative as always. It's been interesting following her journey.

All checked in and waiting for the 10 back. Certainly a buzz around the place. Nice new lounge too. I still remember the 747-200’s with their multiple stops, and to think we can now do it nonstop so to speak. I'm sure Hudson Fysh would have enjoyed these flights. Good to see the Spirit of Adventure lives on ....
 
vfw614
Posts: 3758
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks for the interesting thread - it has brought up memories as I was a passenger on the second ever EK DXB-PER flight back in 2002 (?) which was big thing back then.

So if, as has been mentioned on this thread, 60 per cent of the passengers are PER-bound/originating passengers and 40 per cent are transit passengers, the PER-LON market for QF is - as I would expect - not really massive - something like 150 pax daily. I have a couple of questions to better understand the economics of the route:

- Are most of the 40 per cent transit passengers connecting passengers from smallish W.A. markets for whom a transit via MEL or SYD adds considerably to their travel time?

- How much more expensive is QF9's pricing compared to QR, EK and EY's one-stops from PER?

- And how are QF's one-stops via PER priced compared to one-stops from MEL, SYD or BNE - do you pay a premium for going via PER instead of DXB? (if so, I have difficulties understanding how Paris could work as the local PER-PAR traffic must be much smaller than PER-LON so that a PER-PAR would have to rely on much more transit passengers).
 
andymartin
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:01 am

How is this progress? 17 hours in an economy seat sounds like hell on earth!
 
An767
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:21 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:08 am

qf789 wrote:
Here's a video news report

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/stat ... 0052990977

And a couple more accounts of the onboard experience, the one from the Australian is in a lot of detail, it may be behind a paywall so if you cant access let me know and I will send it through pm

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... um=Twitter

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... um=Twitter

HI qf789. could you send me the Australian report please cant access
Cheers An767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 am

cougar15 wrote:
redroo wrote:
Thanks for all the updates qf789. Greatly appreciate the effort you’ve gone to.


I´ll second that, many thanks for all the effort & background info/sources!!!



QF744ER wrote:
Awesome work on this thread with your contributions qf789.


Thanks for the comments guys, its appreciated. Believe it or not I haven't uploaded my photos off my camera yet. As you are all aware this was a significant day in Australian Aviation of which the Australian a.netters have discussed in depth for the good part of 2 years now. It was also important for me personally, having lived in PER my whole life PER-LHR is the biggest thing we have seen for sometime. As the other Perth based a.netters can attribute to this service has got the whole city talking, the economic contribution to the WA economy is estimated to be around $770 million over than next 10 years, that's massive. I also wanted to put out as much information out so the whole a.net community had the chance to appreciate the work that has been put into getting the service running and celebrate this massive achievement. Having attended the hangar event last year when the first 789 arrived of which I attended as a guest, there was a vibe in that hangar that sent chills down my spine and that was the level of enthusiasm and dedication from all those working for QF and how keen they were of working their backsides off to get PER-LHR off the grown. So credit to all the staff at QF, a job well done.

Does anyone know how the aircraft rotations are going to work, is it going to be a continuous 4 day cycle for the B789 flying MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-LAX-MEL?

Are 2 Dreamliners on the ground anywhere at the same time where they swapped over and the same aircraft can operate back to back say QF9's?

Along the lines of:

Day 1 -ZND
Day 2 -ZNA
Day 3 -ZNB or C
Day 4 -ZNB or C
Day 1 -ZND
Day 2 -ZNA......And so on in a repeating pattern.


It wont work exactly like that. QF95 MEL-LAX doesn't operate on Tuesdays while QF96 doesn't operate on Mondays. So ZND will operate Monday's QF95 and then be on the ground at LAX for just over 24 hours, this is the planned maintenance put into the cycle for the 4 789's. So ZND will not depart LAX until Tuesday so that wont operate the next PER-LHR until Thursday. So when today's service operated by ZNA returns to MEL on Tuesday that will overnight in MEL at operate another LHR rotation on Wednesday.

The rotation to LHR will look like (note ZNB will operate todays QF95 and QF96 which is currently in the air is being operated by ZNC)

24 March ZND
25 March ZNA
26 March ZNC
27 March ZNB
28 March ZNA
29 March ZND
30 March ZNC
31 March ZNB
1 April ZNA
2 April ZND
3 April ZNC
4 April ZNA
5 April ZNB
6 April ZND

So in summary the aircraft that does MEL-PER-LHR on a Saturday will be the one that ends in maintenance. The Sunday frame does MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL before going back to LAX
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8226
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:24 am

n729pa wrote:
Thanks QF789 for your efforts. Highly informative as always. It's been interesting following her journey.

All checked in and waiting for the 10 back. Certainly a buzz around the place. Nice new lounge too. I still remember the 747-200’s with their multiple stops, and to think we can now do it nonstop so to speak. I'm sure Hudson Fysh would have enjoyed these flights. Good to see the Spirit of Adventure lives on ....


n729pa I hope you have an enjoyable flight on the first QF10 which departs LHR in a couple of hours. Look forward to hearing about your experience onboard.

I will see how I will go tomorrow, if I get the chance (I Hope to) I will get a snap of QF10 arriving back in PER, I understand there are a couple other a.netters on the flight as well so enjoy.
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
JBusworth
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:55 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:34 am

qf789 wrote:
It wont work exactly like that. QF95 MEL-LAX doesn't operate on Tuesdays while QF96 doesn't operate on Mondays. So ZND will operate Monday's QF95 and then be on the ground at LAX for just over 24 hours, this is the planned maintenance put into the cycle for the 4 789's. So ZND will not depart LAX until Tuesday so that wont operate the next PER-LHR until Thursday. So when today's service operated by ZNA returns to MEL on Tuesday that will overnight in MEL at operate another LHR rotation on Wednesday.

The rotation to LHR will look like (note ZNB will operate todays QF95 and QF96 which is currently in the air is being operated by ZNC)

24 March ZND
25 March ZNA
26 March ZNC
27 March ZNB
28 March ZNA
29 March ZND
30 March ZNC
31 March ZNB
1 April ZNA
2 April ZND
3 April ZNC
4 April ZNA
5 April ZNB
6 April ZND

So in summary the aircraft that does MEL-PER-LHR on a Saturday will be the one that ends in maintenance. The Sunday frame does MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL-PER-LHR-PER-MEL before going back to LAX


Thanks for this, a great reference to look off for 787 patterns.

I would also (like many others) to extend a great big thank you for all the work you do on all the Aussie threads. I don't think I have come across a better or more active and involved thread moderator ever! Keep up the great work.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1294
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: Inaugural QF MEL-PER-LHR this Saturday 24 March

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 am

andymartin wrote:
How is this progress? 17 hours in an economy seat sounds like hell on earth!

Just because it's not for you (and me for that matter) doesn't mean it's not for others. Just like all my non-avgeek friends who think I am nuts when I whip out my phone and open FR to see what's making those contrails overhead. And as an avgeek, I think as Joe Biden would say "It's a big f&^%ing deal."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos