Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Northwest1988
Topic Author

What’s is Deltas farthest east US route from SLC to a non-hub/ focus city?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 am

Excluding hubs like NYC and focus cities like RDU, what is the furthest east you can fly on DL from SLC in the lower 48? I would have to think CLT is a contender in this category...

jfklganyc

Re: What’s is Deltas farthest east US route from SLC to a non-hub/ focus city?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 am

Anything NYC and North is further east (longitude wise) than anything south of NYC. So it isnt CLT.

If they are served nonstop from SLC: PWM BOS (focus/hub) PVD BDL. Then PHL BWI DCA IAD

michman

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 am

Not sure why any of this matters, but BWI, DCA, IAD, FLL, and PHL are all further east and none are focus cities (there's also YYZ which is basically treated as domestic). Mileage wise, there is also TPA and MCO.

SLC-CLT 1727
SLC-IAD 1828
SLC-DCA 1852
SLC-BWI 1865
SLC-TPA 1888
SLC-PHL 1927
SLC-MCO 1931
SLC-FLL 2084

Flighty

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am

Wow! PHL and FLL are surprising and impressive.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am

Northwest1988 wrote:
Excluding hubs like NYC and focus cities like RDU, what is the furthest east you can fly on DL from SLC in the lower 48? I would have to think CLT is a contender in this category...

Two words: route map!

http://dl.fltmaps.com/en

Northwest1988
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Northwest1988 wrote:

Two words: route map!

:roll:

EWRandMDW

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 pm

michman wrote:
Not sure why any of this matters, but BWI, DCA, IAD, FLL, and PHL are all further east and none are focus cities (there's also YYZ which is basically treated as domestic). Mileage wise, there is also TPA and MCO.

SLC-CLT 1727
SLC-IAD 1828
SLC-DCA 1852
SLC-BWI 1865
SLC-TPA 1888
SLC-PHL 1927
SLC-MCO 1931
SLC-FLL 2084

SLC-EWR 1966

EWR is not a DL hub or focus airport, and by the way all you ignorant management types in Atlanta, EWR is in New Jersey so don't go giving it away to New York State!

burnsie28

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
michman wrote:

SLC-CLT 1727
SLC-IAD 1828
SLC-DCA 1852
SLC-BWI 1865
SLC-TPA 1888
SLC-PHL 1927
SLC-MCO 1931
SLC-FLL 2084

SLC-EWR 1966

EWR is not a DL hub or focus airport, and by the way all you ignorant management types in Atlanta, EWR is in New Jersey so don't go giving it away to New York State!

Flight boards call it Newark, NJ at the boarding gates and so does the booking path on DL.com so no one in ATL is giving it to NY State. NW used to call it New York-Newark back when I believe the airport even called itself that.

But overall Newark is the largest non hub, but it could be put into the focus city as it falls into the NYC category. If you go by that logic then FLL would be the winner mileage wise and PHL would be geographically.

dmstorm22

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:
michman wrote:

SLC-CLT 1727
SLC-IAD 1828
SLC-DCA 1852
SLC-BWI 1865
SLC-TPA 1888
SLC-PHL 1927
SLC-MCO 1931
SLC-FLL 2084

SLC-EWR 1966

Flight boards call it Newark, NJ at the boarding gates and so does the booking path on DL.com so no one in ATL is giving it to NY State. NW used to call it New York-Newark back when I believe the airport even called itself that.

But overall Newark is the largest non hub, but it could be put into the focus city as it falls into the NYC category. If you go by that logic then FLL would be the winner mileage wise and PHL would be geographically.

Yup, somehow only UA decides to call in New York/Newark-EWR in all messaging. I guess they're trying to hard to make the case it is an NYC airport, but you would think the airline setting up their hub their would give NJ some respect.

OA412

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Flighty wrote:
Wow! PHL and FLL are surprising and impressive.

I don't recall when FLL started, but DL has been flying SLC-PHL since at least the mid 90s, if not longer.

EWRandMDW

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Check the detail for the flight between SLC and EWR and you'll note the state the airport is located in as NY.

ScottB

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Yup, somehow only UA decides to call in New York/Newark-EWR in all messaging. I guess they're trying to hard to make the case it is an NYC airport, but you would think the airline setting up their hub their would give NJ some respect.

It is an NYC airport. It's operated by the exact same authority which operates JFK & LGA, too. When one tries to book a flight to CVG on Delta, they don't call the airport Cincinnati/Covington, KY. Nope, it comes up as Cincinnati, OH, with no mention that the airport is in Kentucky.

axiom

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Are we having this absurd EWR/NYC debate again? It's a metro NY airport with a unique and expanded catchment area. End of story.

PHL is most surprising to me. MCO/TPA/FLL are all very large DL stations - even larger than RDU in passenger numbers and revenue. So no surprises to see them here.

phluser

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:21 pm

axiom wrote:

PHL is most surprising to me. MCO/TPA/FLL are all very large DL stations - even larger than RDU in passenger numbers and revenue. So no surprises to see them here.

Is it surprising the length or that DL covers it? Anyways, DL has been more steady covering PHL-SLC than AA/US. In winter - e.g. January, AA lacks daily service while DL offers it.

axiom

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 pm

phluser wrote:
axiom wrote:

Is it surprising the length or that DL covers it? Anyways, DL has been more steady covering PHL-SLC than AA/US. In winter - e.g. January, AA lacks daily service while DL offers it.

I think it's surprising because it's a long route which overflies several hubs, because it is a very strong AA hub, and because PHL seems to punch below average on O&D relative to its metro size (from what I gather here over the years). That said, it is a huge market, and it makes sense that DL serves it -- but the same can be said for all of these.

phluser

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:33 pm

axiom wrote:
phluser wrote:
axiom wrote:

I think it's surprising because it's a long route which overflies several hubs, because it is a very strong AA hub, and because PHL seems to punch below average on O&D relative to its metro size (from what I gather here over the years). That said, it is a huge market, and it makes sense that DL serves it -- but the same can be said for all of these.

I believe DL has an advantage over AA on this route, largely because of connecting pax traffic flow. DL can send more pax on PHL - SLC - West Coast and reverse in the winter, than AA between SLC - PHL - Europe/Northeast US and reverse during the same time. SLC has a niche of serving a lot of spokes like BUR and OAK, within DL's network not covered through DTW and MSP.

As far as O&D, SLC business ties are strong to cities in the West Coast than PHL. But there is just enough O&D willing to pay DL's premium fares for the nonstop to just make it profitable, and connecting traffic to fill it out. I would be more surprised if no carrier was covering SLC-PHL year-round, or if DL was covering markets like SLC-CAK while such airport didn't have DEN service.
Last edited by phluser on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmstorm22

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:38 pm

ScottB wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

It is an NYC airport. It's operated by the exact same authority which operates JFK & LGA, too. When one tries to book a flight to CVG on Delta, they don't call the airport Cincinnati/Covington, KY. Nope, it comes up as Cincinnati, OH, with no mention that the airport is in Kentucky.

Yes, I'm aware. I fly in and out of it every week.

Just commenting on how if I go to www.aa.com or www.delta.com and type in EWR as my destination, it will have 'Newark Liberty, NJ' or 'Newark, NJ' while UA will have 'New York/Newark, NJ'.
Same with the signage.

adlight105

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Yes, I'm aware. I fly in and out of it every week.

Just commenting on how if I go to http://www.aa.com or http://www.delta.com and type in EWR as my destination, it will have 'Newark Liberty, NJ' or 'Newark, NJ' while UA will have 'New York/Newark, NJ'.
Same with the signage.

Well for most of its flights, EWR is UA's only NYC airport. Hence it makes sense that they drive home the NYC-ness of EWR to folks internationally and even domestically who might not have otherwise made that geographic connection.

jerseyewr777

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:56 pm

The whole EWR is not a New York airport seems to never end. How about this then we call EWR a New Jersey airport & we'll call the football teams the New Jersey Giants & the New Jersey Jets. Fair enough??

USAirALB

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm

IIRC, DL tried SLC-BDL a few years back when they tried to build up BDL. They also flew BDL-LAS during this time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos