Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

What are ET's most profitable long-haul routes?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am

They have some information about the most profitable long-haul routes and with the highest load factors of Ethiopian Airlines

Guangzhou (CAN) and Beijing (PEK) operate normally with Boeing 777-300ER
Shanghai (PVG) the service increased with the Airbus A350-900XWB
Mumbai (BOM) you have 2 daily flights with Boeing 777-200LR / Airbus A350XWB
Delhi (DEL)has 2 daily flights with Boeing 767-300ER equipment
Washington DC (IAD) flights are operated with Boeing 777-200LR / Boeing 787-8 and occasionally use the Boeing 777-300ER
Frankfurt (FRA) is operated by the Airbus A350-900, in the past summer the equipment varied by Boeing 777-300ER / Airbus A350-900
London (LHR) increased its services to 10 weekly flights with Airbus A350-900
Roma (FCO) increased its services to 9 weekly flights with Boeing 787-8
Paris (CDG) flies daily, the CDG-BRU sector is eliminated, it flies with various equipment Boeing 777-200LR / 787-8 / 787-9

Virtual737

Re: What are ET's most profitable long-haul routes?

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:02 am

Sorry but after reading the title I couldn't help but think of a Steven Spielberg character on a long haul trip in a bicycle basket across the moon. Not sure if it was profitable.

GRJGeorge

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am

Not exactly sure what you're asking...since you're then starting with a statement talking about "They" ?

I guess some of those routes are not necessarily just profitable or not purely on O&D, but more calculated as a whole with their hub network, some other routes making these work etc.

With BOM, DEL and FCO in there I guess JNB and CPT should also be calculated in this, as they're longer than some of those and you're talking about frequency, equipment and upgrades...where ADD-CPT is currently daily widebody (varying 788/789/77L/77W/A359), but scheduled to go to all 777-300ER from July, and probably had one of the fastest upgrades over the last few years, from only starting a couple of years ago with 4 weekly 1-stop 737-800 service. ADD-JNB currently is 2 daily (1 A359 + 1 738) and will get 3rd daily flight from end of this month with another 738 flight.

thgsr08

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:15 pm

What about GRU-EZE? Most people flying from South America to Asia are going via ADD.

SeaDoo

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
Sorry but after reading the title I couldn't help but think of a Steven Spielberg character on a long haul trip in a bicycle basket across the moon. Not sure if it was profitable.

Good one

acreinholz

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Virtual737 wrote:

Loved it...

acreinholz

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 pm

thgsr08 wrote:
What about GRU-EZE? Most people flying from South America to Asia are going via ADD.

Sorry... Might not be all that...

Out of GRU there are daily flights with EK, TK, QT, UA, AA, DL, TP, JJ, LA, among many others (including all european ones)...

That is only out of GRU, another rout can be using GIG.

I believe it can be profitable... However, there are many others to choose from...

iadadd

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:05 pm

While I don't have any data to back this up, I would assume CAN, LHR, DXB, JNB, LOS, and IAD are top money makers for the airline.
All of the above mentioned cities receive A350 or 77W on a regular basis, and for the exception of LOS all have strong or decently strong O&D to ADD which is favorable in terms of profitability.

PEK, PVG, FRA, TLV, BOM, and YYZ are additionally strong runner ups

thgsr08

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 pm

acreinholz wrote:
thgsr08 wrote:

Out of GRU there are daily flights with EK, TK, QT, UA, AA, DL, TP, JJ, LA, among many others (including all european ones)...

I believe it can be profitable... However, there are many others to choose from...

I disagree with you. GIG is losing all conections from JJ, G3, AD and 06 and soon everyone connecting inlt will have to get a bus to go to SDU, depending on the time of arrival in GIG (if this ppl dont wanna spend from 4 to 8 hours to get to their destination).
UA, AA and DL requires a visa to connect through USA, I've never heard nobody going to US and then to DPS or BKK, for exemple, even because none of them fly directly there, and they're pricey.
EK, TK, QR, KL, AF, LH, SA, etc, are all pricey. It worth it if you wanna fly on a real business or first class in a big sale or exchanging miles - depending on the price again - (exception made for TK that has dropped prices since their political situation - it doesn't mean it's cheap - anyway, it's a risky connection is IST).
ET offers the best price, excelente aircraft (it's changed from the 787-8 to 77L - in a 3x3x3 config), the flight is used to be ponctual, and altought the airport is poor and seems to be a bus stop, you'd prefer to be there than outside HAHAHA

PRGEC

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm

Most of the pax between GRU and ADD are going to Asia, that's the fact, the fares are way much lower than any other carrier and people disergard the stops on the way. If it is problitable? Well, if it wasn't, ET would not be increasing to daily flights with 77L.

BawliBooch

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:38 am

Is ET flying to DEL with 767-300ER?

I could swear I have seen ET 737's on DEL ramp multiple times while taxiing.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:57 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Is ET flying to DEL with 767-300ER?

I could swear I have seen ET 737's on DEL ramp multiple times while taxiing.

in winter season, one of the flights is operated by the B738

acreinholz

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:34 pm

thgsr08 wrote:
acreinholz wrote:
thgsr08 wrote:

I disagree with you. GIG is losing all conections from JJ, G3, AD and 06 and soon everyone connecting inlt will have to get a bus to go to SDU, depending on the time of arrival in GIG (if this ppl dont wanna spend from 4 to 8 hours to get to their destination).
UA, AA and DL requires a visa to connect through USA, I've never heard nobody going to US and then to DPS or BKK, for exemple, even because none of them fly directly there, and they're pricey.
EK, TK, QR, KL, AF, LH, SA, etc, are all pricey. It worth it if you wanna fly on a real business or first class in a big sale or exchanging miles - depending on the price again - (exception made for TK that has dropped prices since their political situation - it doesn't mean it's cheap - anyway, it's a risky connection is IST).
ET offers the best price, excelente aircraft (it's changed from the 787-8 to 77L - in a 3x3x3 config), the flight is used to be ponctual, and altought the airport is poor and seems to be a bus stop, you'd prefer to be there than outside HAHAHA

I tend to agree with you regarding GIG... Unfortunately Rio is agonizing...

Flying to Asia in general, price wise out of GRU, ET and EK are very similar (believe it or not)... around USD50,00 difference... Of course that all depends on the date and everything. So when choosing options to Asia, there are many...

But I am positive it is a profitable route because they are all increasing...

EK will start a second flight to GRU, continuing service to SCL, in the coming months.

LHR01

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm

According to my understanding, LHR has become the profitable route..

The airline is always oversold with there flights in and out of LHR. Makes sense for them to increase there flights from 7 - 10 weekly from the 02 June 2018. They have been using the 788, A350 and 77L into Heathrow too

frmrCapCadet

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:02 pm

This might be a fun project for you to do. Track ET airfares to a dozen places over a year. Knock off $100(?) for landing and takeoff, then see what they are charging per KM. You may have to do some estimating on load factors and guessing on cargo. Once the problem is set up checking every couple weeks would only take 10 minutes or so.

I kind of do that with WN here in the US. They intend to offer competitive prices and make a profit. It is moderately straight forward from their prices to figure out CASM, and using that figure to assess the big 3. A few 'magic' asterisks are needed, but often people on line here can fill in or offer corrections if you gather it in a documented fashion.

bsbisland

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:37 pm

acreinholz wrote:
thgsr08 wrote:
acreinholz wrote:

Flying to Asia in general, price wise out of GRU, ET and EK are very similar (believe it or not)... around USD50,00 difference... Of course that all depends on the date and everything. So when choosing options to Asia, there are many...

EK will start a second flight to GRU, continuing service to SCL, in the coming months.

Which Airlines has GIG lost recently?

AFAIK, it still has EK, DL, AA, UA, LH, AF, BA, KL, AZ, among others, linking GIG to Asia.

Anyway, the topic is about Ethiopian, which I doubt is the largest airline from Brazil to Asia, or even Brazil routes are profitable considering they have often the lowest fares to Asia, and close to zero O/D between GRU and ADD.

FlyRow

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:47 pm

An airline usually doesn't tell this kind of stuff, as other airlines can undercut/outprice them, or nibble at the proffit margin. I don't know where the "they" comes from. would you mind sharing your source?

thgsr08

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm

bsbisland wrote:
acreinholz wrote:
thgsr08 wrote:

Which Airlines has GIG lost recently?

AFAIK, it still has EK, DL, AA, UA, LH, AF, BA, KL, AZ, among others, linking GIG to Asia.

Anyway, the topic is about Ethiopian, which I doubt is the largest airline from Brazil to Asia, or even Brazil routes are profitable considering they have often the lowest fares to Asia, and close to zero O/D between GRU and ADD.

I guess I made myself clear mentioning JJ, 06, AD and G3.
I did not say EK, DL, AA, UA, LH, AF, BA, KL & AZ.
For exemple, from June, if you're flying CDG-GIG (AF442 - which arrives at 0710), the next flight available to BSB is 1350 (flying G3, AF's partner), only available from SUN to FRY. It means that travellers flying on saturday are waiting till 1835 (almost 12hs later), and even the passangers flyin' the other days gotta wait for 6h.

This is one exemple, and both LATAM and GOL are dropping all routes from GIG to VIX, REC, CNF, FOR, and these airlines are feeder for flights to almost every single other airlines you've mentioned.
For how long is GIG supposed to work without connections? Do you think passangers wil be confortable flying, for exemple, CNF/VIX/REC-SDU-bus-GIG-AMS?

And you're right, we're outta topic here.
I've never said ET is the largest BR-ASIA, however it made others to drop their prices.

DaufuskieGuy

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:07 pm

why don't they fly to NYC? they have to be one of the only foreign carriers serving IAD but not NYC

iadadd

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
why don't they fly to NYC? they have to be one of the only foreign carriers serving IAD but not NYC

They fly to Newark, and in May the flights will become Daily. 4x Weekly ADD-LFW-EWR and 3x Weekly ADD-ABJ-EWR

DaufuskieGuy

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 pm

iadadd wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:

They fly to Newark, and in May the flights will become Daily. 4x Weekly ADD-LFW-EWR and 3x Weekly ADD-ABJ-EWR

ah I only checked JFK. interesting that EWR is one stop and IAD non stop, I guess there is more demand ABJ/LFW EWR

iadadd

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:11 am

I believe that the West African stops were introduced as a way for ET to experiment with the New York market. Within the next few years, I'm certain that ET will launch a NYC-ADD nonstop in addition to its current 1-stop ops.

bsbisland

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 am

thgsr08 wrote:
acreinholz wrote:
thgsr08 wrote:

What a completely nonsense post... "GIG is losing all conections from JJ, G3, AD and 06 and soon everyone connecting inlt will have to get a bus to go to SDU"... Only Latam dropped domestic routes out of GIG, which has been dehubbing GIG for a while. Gol and Avianca might actually fill the void of the second largest market in Brazil. GIG has never been a huge point for domestic connections. In 2017, GIG actually increased number passengers, considering 2016 was an inflated year (Olympics) and Brazil was still going through a recession. Whatever have you heard, try to say something that makes sense and show facts if possible.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos