L410Turbolet

Re: Dog Dies in Overhead Bin on United Airlines Flight

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Accepting blame... at least pro forma, seems like a lesser evil than face ongoing media lynch and an effort to mitigate endless tirades on the internet.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:49 pm

HHScot wrote:
At which point did I say that? You're just being silly now!

Well, your non-sequitur about how the customer isn't always right and how they shouldn't get everything they asked for (despite the passenger in question PAYING for the privilege of bringing her pet on board, actually following the FA's instructions and losing said pet in the process) seems to suggest that you believe that the passenger was in the wrong here, or somehow behaving out of line towards airline staff? If that's not the case, why ramble on about how the customer isn't always right? We all know that, but it's not germane to this topic.

HHScot wrote:
At which point did I say that? You're just being silly now!
I made it perfectly clear (to those that want to see at none of us was there and therefore know exactly 100% what happened. I am talking in general to people that think that poor customer service means the customer not getting everything they want or having to do something that they don't like.
I'm not going to comment on this anymore with the likes of you as it's a complete waste of time and energy.

I know exactly what you said. So, this poor woman PAID for the privilege of bringing a pet on board, put her trust in the airline staff and did exactly as they instructed her to do, only to lose her loved one because of the staff's poor judgment and negligence? And you have the gall to say that she should know better than to expect "not getting everything she wants or having to do something she doesn't like"? Wow. So much compassion there :roll:
Last edited by hoons90 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

BC77008

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:25 pm

It’s possible that the dog was sick/disabled/unfit to fly and would have died regardless of where it was located on the plane. It could have had its own seat in United Polaris and it might have still died. The overhead bins in no way seal or even have a gasket so I’m not understanding how the dog would have died from oxygen deprivation. Also, this woman towed along not only herself and the dog, but also a child and a baby! Imagine the number of bags she brought on board. It’s very possible the attendant asked her to put some bags in the overhead or otherwise clear the floor around her feet and the woman elected to put the dog in its carrier in the overhead, so she could have her bags of snacks, games, bottles, electronic devises, etc within her immediate reach. Also, having been a flight attendant myself I can honestly say that many pet carriers do indeed look much like other bags and back packs. I find it hard to believe that this particular FA knowingly asked the woman to put the dog in the overhead, and even if she did, it’s hard to believe other FA’s simply backed it up or allowed it to happen.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Follow the flight attendants instructions and end up with a dead family member, or get offloaded.

Dead family member? It's a dog. It's an animal.

It's not a member of the family.

BC77008

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Noise wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: They serve cooked animals inflight in the form of buy-on-board cheeseburgers!! Where is the outrage?!?!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Follow the flight attendants instructions and end up with a dead family member, or get offloaded.

They are not mutually exclusive.
Families are social constructs, and their conceptions are malleable as societies change over time. If a family wants to take in an animal as a family member, that's their prerogative.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:36 pm

BC77008 wrote:
Noise wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: They serve cooked animals inflight in the form of buy-on-board cheeseburgers!! Where is the outrage?!?!

You do know the difference between animals providing nourishment versus animals being killed for naught, right?

Bald1983

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Unless the dog is an actual service animal, like a seeing eye dog, it has no business of being on an airplane in the passenger cabin. Airlines should not allow it and people should not try to do it. That being said, it is outrageous that someone would stow a living creature in an overhead bin. They are not designed for it, everyone tries to put the proverbial kitchen sink in and suffocation should be seen as a foregone conclusion.

mjoelnir

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:48 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Has it been determined yet that being in the overhead killed the dog, or did the dog have some other issue unknown to the owner?

What does that really matter? It should not have been placed in the overhead bin, full stop.
Even if the dog had lived the FA should have at least to face retraining.

mjoelnir

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
Unless the dog is an actual service animal, like a seeing eye dog, it has no business of being on an airplane in the passenger cabin. Airlines should not allow it and people should not try to do it. That being said, it is outrageous that someone would stow a living creature in an overhead bin. They are not designed for it, everyone tries to put the proverbial kitchen sink in and suffocation should be seen as a foregone conclusion.

That also does not matter. The airline allows it and gets paid for it,.

It is strange how many here are always saying should not offer this or that when the airline fucks up. They offer it, get paid for it, have rules for it and the FA broke those rules.

jayunited

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:55 pm

If the passenger does sue United I think the amount of damages will greatly depend on what the necropsy report says and hopefully the owner did get a necropsy which will tell us when this dog died. The FA was wrong there is no question about that but the fact no one open the over head bin for the entire 3+ hour flight despite the fact that the customer who informed UA of this traffic incident stated several passengers plus the owner and her teenage daughter witness this incident makes me question. Was the dog alive when she board? Was the dog crushed during take off? Did the dog suffocate in the overhead bin? Was the dog alive for the entire flight but was then crushed during landing ? We've all been on flights where the captain lands long then has to really slam on the breaks. Did the dog survive the flight only to be crushed during landing? I have 2 dogs and I live in building where over 70% of the occupants have dogs of all shapes sizes and breeds and it is not normal for dogs to be silent when they are in stressful situations. Hopefully a necropsy was or will be performed and it will be released to the public and let us know when and how the dog died. What angers me is first the our FA who didn't take the time to listen to the passenger or simply didn't care that there was a dog in the carrier, and secondly the owner and the other passengers who heard this altercation knew there was a dog in the carrier and didn't open the overhead bin at any time during the flight to check on the dog. United has to take the blame on this but how could all these adult passengers who claim to have heard the altercation sit on a 3+ hour flight and not check on the dog until the flight landed at LGA. The owner had a newborn and a teenage daughter even if she was holding her newborn for the entire flights she didn't ask her teenage daughter to check on the family pet or ask any other passenger who heard and saw this take place to open the bin and check on the dog.
There are people on this thread who are saying because of Dr Dao she was afraid to speak up. Okay fine I won't argue that but once the fasten seat belt sign is turned off there is no rule or law that prevents passengers from retrieving their belongings from the overhead bin. So even if she was afraid to speak up initially while on the ground at IAH what happened once they reach altitude. How is it that no one noticed the dog was dead until the flight was on the ground at the gate at LGA? I'm sorry but there is huge portion of this story that the witness failed to disclose when they informed UA of what took place onboard our flight and I have to ask why? Shame on the FA and UA but also shame on the adults who witness this and as far as we know did nothing to help this animal once the fasten seat belt sign was turned off.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
Has it been determined yet that being in the overhead killed the dog, or did the dog have some other issue unknown to the owner?

What does that really matter? It should not have been placed in the overhead bin, full stop.
Even if the dog had lived the FA should have at least to face retraining.

Who made you the judge of what matters? He asked a question - big deal.
-Dave

oldannyboy

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
Pets in the main cabin has been a terrible policy. Set aside that this poor pup died. It's making people stupid. It's causing fights. It's causing people to question their sanity. We were better before the policy changed. We need to change it back.

I disagree. Nothing is completely black and white. I've flown in planes where there were pets aboard, and everything was fine, no worries, no muss, no fuss. The pets flew in the approved carrier, everything worked, and we all landed just fine, no riots, no vicious chihuahua attacks, no cat fights.

The bottom line is that blanket statements don't really hold up. There are grey areas in nearly all areas of life. The existing "pets in the cabin" rules seem to work when applied consistently. That was the issue here - the FA didn't apply United's existing rules properly and consistently; he/she simply invented a protocol on the spot with tragic results.

Agree with you. I've had many flights through the years on which pets or service dogs were present, and have not witnessed one single incident. Also, back when working at my local airline we used to deal with quite a number of cabin pets and guide dogs -again, no incidents that I can recall.

Not sure about others, but I personally deal a lot better with a pet in the cabin than say rowdy teenagers, stag/hen party goers, intoxicated people, crying/screaming/untamed children, overweight slobs dressed in tank tops&flip-flops... Just my two cents of personal distaste! ;-)

oldannyboy

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

maybe not for you. Fair enough. Your loss.

Certainly for others.

mjoelnir

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm

BC77008 wrote:
It’s possible that the dog was sick/disabled/unfit to fly and would have died regardless of where it was located on the plane. It could have had its own seat in United Polaris and it might have still died. The overhead bins in no way seal or even have a gasket so I’m not understanding how the dog would have died from oxygen deprivation. Also, this woman towed along not only herself and the dog, but also a child and a baby! Imagine the number of bags she brought on board. It’s very possible the attendant asked her to put some bags in the overhead or otherwise clear the floor around her feet and the woman elected to put the dog in its carrier in the overhead, so she could have her bags of snacks, games, bottles, electronic devises, etc within her immediate reach. Also, having been a flight attendant myself I can honestly say that many pet carriers do indeed look much like other bags and back packs. I find it hard to believe that this particular FA knowingly asked the woman to put the dog in the overhead, and even if she did, it’s hard to believe other FA’s simply backed it up or allowed it to happen.

Why is it so difficult to believe that the FA ordered the dog into the overhead bin? There is at least one witness declaring that the FA did exactly that, over the objection of the customer.

Aptivaboy

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Not sure about others, but I personally deal a lot better with a pet in the cabin than say rowdy teenagers, stag/hen party goers, intoxicated people, crying/screaming/untamed children, overweight slobs dressed in tank tops&flip-flops... Just my two cents of personal distaste!

Great minds think alike!!!!! :D

longhauler

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:25 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
The breed of dog plays a major role in this case, imho.

As mentioned many times in this thread and in others, this breed is more prone to issues in confined areas.

Included in United's fee for bringing a live animal aboard is there not a review of the breed itself? I am assuming there is, as they would like to know it is in fact a small breed and not a Great Dane nor a Saint Bernard.

If United is willing therefore, to take the breed aboard, then they too must accept the responsibility. Again ... perhaps she thought she was dealing with professionals that do this a lot and can guide her with expertise.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

BC77008

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:35 pm

mjoelnir wrote:

Why is it so difficult to believe that the FA ordered the dog into the overhead bin? There is at least one witness declaring that the FA did exactly that, over the objection of the customer.

We don’t know anything about that witness. Maybe he or she misheard or misunderstood what was being said to another customer. Still doesn’t excuse the lady from not at least checking in her OWN family member that is in the overhead. Not once during this 4 hour flight did this woman check on her dog. Her having a baby and a child with her is no excuse for her negligence.

jayunited

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 pm

More passengers are coming forward to speak about their experience onboard this flight. It was reported that several passengers heard the dog barking during the flight but at some point the during the flight the barking stopped. One passenger who witness this reportedly told NBC News that she now regrets not opening the over head bin during the flight to check on the dog. Which now makes me question if the FA claims that she didn't know there was a dog in the carryon. The FA claims she didn't know there was a dog in the bag doesn't hold water. The FA can stand by that claim when we now know and it is being report that the dog at some point during the flight started barking and then at some point during the flight the barking stopped. Now not only does the FA who order the passenger to place the dog in the overhead bin bare responsibility but the second FA who also worked the coach cabin bares responsibility, this is absolutely terrible. While it doesn't seem like the dog was barking loud enough for the entire aircraft to hear him the FA's working in coach at some point during this flight had to have heard this dogs cries for help and yet they didn't care. There is no way to defend UA against this, the argument that the FA didn't know has just been proven to be a lie because the dog was barking. The FA didn't care and now an animal is dead.

United bares ultimate responsibility for this but shame on those passengers who heard this poor dog cries for help and just sat there and did nothing. As a dog owner and a animal lover how could so many people sit in their seats while a dog cries out for help. How could so many people hear this and do nothing I think both FA's in coach should be fired and as the authority on the aircraft the FA who told the passenger to place the dog in the overhead bin should perhaps face some type of criminal charges because the law and the rules regarding animals in the cabin are clear and animals should never be placed in a overhead bin EVER.

stlgph

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:44 pm

jayunited wrote:
More passengers are coming forward to speak about their experience onboard this flight. It was reported that several passengers heard the dog barking during the flight but at some point the during the flight the barking stopped. One passenger who witness this reportedly told NBC News that she now regrets not opening the over head bin during the flight to check on the dog. Which now makes me question if the FA claims that she didn't know there was a dog in the carryon. The FA claims she didn't know there was a dog in the bag doesn't hold water. The FA can stand by that claim when we now know and it is being report that the dog at some point during the flight started barking and then at some point during the flight the barking stopped. Now not only does the FA who order the passenger to place the dog in the overhead bin bare responsibility but the second FA who also worked the coach cabin bares responsibility, this is absolutely terrible. While it doesn't seem like the dog was barking loud enough for the entire aircraft to hear him the FA's working in coach at some point during this flight had to have heard this dogs cries for help and yet they didn't care. There is no way to defend UA against this, the argument that the FA didn't know has just been proven to be a lie because the dog was barking. The FA didn't care and now an animal is dead.

United bares ultimate responsibility for this but shame on those passengers who heard this poor dog cries for help and just sat there and did nothing. As a dog owner and a animal lover how could so many people sit in their seats while a dog cries out for help. How could so many people hear this and do nothing I think both FA's in coach should be fired and as the authority on the aircraft the FA who told the passenger to place the dog in the overhead bin should perhaps face some type of criminal charges because the law and the rules regarding animals in the cabin are clear and animals should never be placed in a overhead bin EVER.

Yep. Pretty much posted this earlier in this thread.

The Flight Attendant, the woman who had the dog, and the people around hearing it bark to death - all collectively stupid and worthless as members of the human race.

They sat around and did nothing. Except post on social media afterwards. Congratulations, America 2018.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Certainly for others.

The definition of a "family" is a group consisting of parents and children (biological or not) living together in a household, or...all the descendants of a common ancestor.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to retake kindergarten, revisit the definition of what a "family" is or be sent to a mental institution.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Noise wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
Noise wrote:

Certainly for others.

The definition of a "family" is a group consisting of parents and children (biological or not) living together in a household, or...all the descendants of a common ancestor.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to retake kindergarten, revisit the definition of what a "family" is or be sent to a mental institution.

So, you think that the majority of dog owners don't see their dogs as a part of their family? You know, dogs that live under the same roof, fed and taken care of?

IrishAyes

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm

for those who claim that the customer was petrified of speaking up in light of the dr. dao incident, my question to you is this:

have we, as the human race, completely lost the ability to reason?

social media....the two-edged sword, gift that keeps on giving.....as yoda would say, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.
upcoming flights: JFK-MXP, JFK-KEF, DFW-MEX, BRU-KEF, KEF-DFW, JFK-LIS-RAK, RAK-CMN-LIS, LIS-PRG, PRG-MAD, MAD-LAX: Alitalia, Interjet, WOW Air, Icelandair, TAP Air Portugal, Royal Air Maroc, CSA Czech Airlines, Iberia.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Certainly for others.

So, you think that the majority of dog owners don't see their dogs as a part of their family? You know, dogs that live under the same roof, fed and taken care of?

I don't care about how dog owners "feel" about or "see" their dogs.

I care about the fact that a dog is a dog. I care about the objective definition of "family". It's not a human and not a member of the family.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:11 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Certainly for others.

Of course we dog owners love our dogs. However, if there’s a house fire and someone couldn’t decide whether to save one “family member” (dog) over another “family member” (child), then I think maybe they have crossed a line. We have an ultimate responsibility to care for our pets but it should not equate human life. Just my opinion.
-Dave

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:14 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Of course we dog owners love our dogs. However, if there’s a house fire and someone couldn’t decide whether to save one “family member” (dog) over another “family member” (child), then I think maybe they have crossed a line. We have an ultimate responsibility to care for our pets but it should not equate human life. Just my opinion.

This!

Yes. A dog is not a member of the family.

It's a dog. An animal.

F27500

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:15 pm

There are some REAL idiots posting in here.

Now we have a theory that the dog (a little 10 month old puppy) was sick and dying .. or already dead in that bag before boarding ?? And we have other fools blaming the passenger for the death of the dog .. even though the dog was in an approved pet carrier.

My question is: Does United's policy state anywhere that it is permissible for a flight attendant to expect (or order) a pax to store a live animal in a carrier bag in the overhead compartment?

I highly doubt it because of the obvious reasons of possible suffocation or being crushed ... but also for the reason that if that bag is not sitting flat, and the dog has an accident inflight ... that urine or feces could leak out all over the bin and contaminate other peoples carry on items,

So I ask .. what is United's policy? So we can see just HOW wrong this fool of a flight attendant was.

No more speculation. No more idiotic "you weren't there" replies .. no more blaming the passenger ,.... or the dog.

What .. is .. United's .. policy ?

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

bob75013 wrote:
Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

I care about the fact that a dog is a dog. I care about the objective definition of "family". It's not a human and not a member of the family.

For many dog owners, the death of a pet is every bit as traumatic/stressful as the death of a human family member. Get ff your butt and read some of the literature on the topic.

If that is the case for many dog owners, I would recommend they check themselves into a psychiatric institute.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm

F27500 wrote:

Now we have a theory that the dog (a little 10 month old puppy) was sick and dying .. or already dead in that bag before boarding ?? And we have other fools blaming the passenger for the death of the dog .. even though the dog was in an approved pet carrier.

My question is: Does United's policy state anywhere that it is permissible for a flight attendant to expect (or order) a pax to store a live animal in a carrier bag in the overhead compartment?

I highly doubt it because of the obvious reasons of possible suffocation or being crushed ... but also for the reason that if that bag is not sitting flat, and the dog has an accident inflight ... that urine or feces could leak out all over the bin and contaminate other peoples carry on items,

So I ask .. what is United's policy? So we can see just HOW wrong this fool of a flight attendant was.

No more speculation. No more idiotic "you weren't there" replies .. no more blaming the passenger ,.... or the dog.

Did you read the thread? It was stated that their policy is that the carrier must be able to fit under the seat, that the dog must remain in it at all times, and that the carrier must remain under the seat at all times.
-Dave

bob75013

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:

You are a dope. For many dog owners, the death of a pet is every bit as traumatic/stressful as the death of a human family member. Get ff your butt and read some of the literature on the topic.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Noise wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
Noise wrote:

For many dog owners, the death of a pet is every bit as traumatic/stressful as the death of a human family member. Get ff your butt and read some of the literature on the topic.

If that is the case for many dog owners, I would recommend they check themselves into a psychiatric institute.

Love and compassion for an animal is not a mental disorder. Grieving is healthy and natural. Some people probably just need a bit more perspective (imho) if they equate a pet to a person.
-Dave

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Zaf wrote:
I thought snub nosed dogs were already banned from flying for 20 years. Strange this incident could happen.

oh, it was a snub nosed puppy? well that explains no gate check and why it probably died air obstructed. FA should of booted the family
had the gate agent rebook the family for a time when they could arrange care or come back with a kennel that fit under the seat.

This wasn't about money, airlines waive the fee's all the time as long as they rebook in a reasonable period of time like 24 hours.

This is the result of a FA not following protocol, i fear not even looking at the puppy to see that the pet was snub nosed.
Last edited by DLFREEBIRD on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bob75013

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:23 pm

F27500 wrote:

When United accepted full responsibility for the incident yesterday we learned what United's policy IS NOT didn't we: it is not permissible to put a living animal in the overhead bin.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Noise wrote:
bob75013 wrote:

Love and compassion for an animal is not a mental disorder. Grieving is healthy and natural. Some people probably just need a bit more perspective (imho) if they equate a pet to a person.

Not saying that love and compassion for an animal is a mental disorder. Believing or thinking that a dog is a "family member" is.

kgaiflyer

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm

"There should be no animals, lizards, snakes, birds, or reptiles in plane cabins."

That's why I book discount business-class when my budget allows it. No peacocks. No French bulldogs. :lol:
Last edited by kgaiflyer on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Noise wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
Noise wrote:

Funny, because the lack of empathy towards animals is often a precursor to deeper psychopathic tendencies. Maybe those people should check themselves into an institute?

Also, I didn't realize that only the literal sense of a word is a legitimate use of the word. So if I tell someone that they are a pain in the ass, it would only be true if they were literally behind me pinching my butt.

F27500

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Did you read the thread? It was stated that their policy is that the carrier must be able to fit under the seat, that the dog must remain in it at all times, and that the carrier must remain under the seat at all times.

PERFECT. So from that, it has been established that this FLIGHT ATTENDANT WAS DEAD WRONG.

And therefore should face discipline or even being sued personally by the passenger. There should also be some animal cruelty charges filed against this "safety professional" as well.

This was not UA's fault. They have a clear policy that this employee chose to ignore.

The flight attendant was wrong. Period. End of story. End of blaming the passenger.

bob75013

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:27 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
"There should be no animals, lizards, snakes, birds, or reptiles in plane cabins."

That's why I book discount business-class when my budget allows it. No peacocks. No French bulldogs. :lol:

I hate to break this to you, but any discount business class traveler (or first class for that matter) can also be travelling with a pet.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Noise wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Noise wrote:

Not saying that love and compassion for an animal is a mental disorder. Believing or thinking that a dog is a "family member" is.

So, do you think it's appropriate to tell someone grieving over the loss of a pet, "Get over it! It's not like it was a family member"? If your answer is yes, maybe you should be concerned since psychopaths also lack the capacity to feel empathy towards others. Less developed amygdala and all.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:
bob75013 wrote:

Funny, because the lack of empathy towards animals is often a precursor to deeper psychopathic tendencies. Maybe those people should check themselves into an institute?

Also, I didn't realize that only the literal sense of a word is a legitimate use of the word. So if I tell someone that they are a pain in the ass, it would only be true if they were literally behind me pinching my butt.

When talking about major issues like this, ones that may potentially leading to court case, the literal definitions of words matter a lot.

One can love a dog and care for it, but they can also recognize that it's not a human and not a family member. Not saying anyone lacks empathy here.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:

When talking about major issues like this, ones that may potentially leading to court case, the literal definitions of words matter a lot.

One does can love a dog and care for it, but they can also recognize that it's not a human and not a family member. Not saying anyone lacks empathy here.

So are you saying that the legal system can't tell the difference between a symbolic statement like "I lost a valuable member of the family" versus a literal statement such as "I lost my pet dog"?

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:37 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

One does can love a dog and care for it, but they can also recognize that it's not a human and not a family member. Not saying anyone lacks empathy here.

So are you saying that the legal system can't tell the difference between a symbolic statement like "I lost a valuable member of the family" versus a literal statement such as "I lost my pet dog"?

No, I'm saying people should calm their butts down. It's not like they lost a child or parent. It's a dog, an animal. If they equate losing a dog to losing a child then they are out of their minds.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 pm

F27500 wrote:

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/conten ... spx?POS=US

If the bag was too large, she should have not been allowed to board in the first place, still United's fault.

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm

And if they do equate losing a dog to losing a child, a sibling, or a parent (i.e. "family" members), then yes they should check themselves into a psychiatric institute.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:

No, I'm saying people should calm their butts down. It's not like they lost a child or parent. It's a dog, an animal. If they equate losing a dog to losing a child then they are out of their minds.

And you think it's your place to dictate to others how they should feel about their personal tragedies?

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:44 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

And you think it's your place to dictate to others how they should feel about their personal tragedies?

I'm telling it like it is!

People who think that dogs are family members are out of their minds.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Noise wrote:
And if they do equate losing a dog to losing a child, a sibling, or a parent (i.e. "family" members), then yes they should check themselves into a psychiatric institute.

No part of the DSM suggests diagnoses on the basis of one's extent of grief over the loss of a pet.

hoons90
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:

You display a lack of tact, empathy and conscience, the lack of which are often evident in sociopathic individuals. Not saying that you are one, but...

I'm telling it like it is. Sorry.
Last edited by hoons90 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ogre727

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 pm

And now they flew a dog to Japan instead of Kansas City? Oh my....
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

Noise

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Noise wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

You display a lack of tact, empathy and conscience, the lack of which are often evident in sociopathic individuals. Not saying that you are, but...

I'm telling it like it is. Sorry.

LOL