Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NeBaNi

Re: Reports of crash in Kathmandu, Nepal

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 pm

gf262 wrote:
As a frequent flyer into KTM and an aviation enthousiast (without real knowledge tough) I would like to contribute as follow.

As I spent quite some time living in the area north of RNW20 I know that only domestic operators use that runway, up to ATR-72. That means that a DH8D is a able to land overthere. But it is a visual approach (VFR). I have never seen any international operator using RNW20, no matter which aircraft. Maybe the domestic operators uses RNW20 because to are really well known with VFR-approaches in Nepal.

As far as I know only the captain is allowed flying the plane when flying into KTM. The F/O takes care of communication with tower and deals with the altitude and decend angle. In orde to make sure the captain can concentrate on flying the plane. During communication with the tower suddenly the captain (male voice) can be heard and takes over communication. And that is just the one thing he should not do. Just fly the plane. In case there is misunderstanding he should discontinue and start all over again with the approach. Instead he continues and it seems he gets lost.

Also see this article in the Nepali Times, an highly regarded weekly magazine in Nepal. It gives a good summary on what might have happend and a clear view of the flight path:https://www.nepalitimes.com/banner/20-by-02/

Also interesting to know: Apparently, this was Capt Sultan’s fifth flight of the day, and he had just sent in his resignation to the US-Bangla management in order to join a Gulf airline.

And the end: anyone knew that the Voice Communication Control System (VCCS) at KTM is already more than two month dysfunctional? After VCCS failure, the ATC communications are being carried out through recently procured backup portable VHF radio transceivers at TIA as the primary as well as secondary frequencies for aerodrome control service at the control tower as Air Traffic Controller (ATC) often get criticisms from the aircraft crew.https://www.aviationnepal.com/voice-communication-control-system-of-tia-still-dysfunctional/

Maybe it contributed tot the bad communications between tower and cockpit crew?

Any toughts? Greetings, Pieter

Good points, thanks for the contributions. I agree with most of what you said.
The only part I'm unsure about is the international/ domestic split as to who uses what runway. I don't think it's split by domestic/ international, rather by aircraft type. The difference here is that before US-Bangla, all the international carriers flying into KTM used jet aircraft of Boeing 737/ Airbus A320 family size or larger in recent history. So, I'm not sure it is a valid conclusion to say international carriers only use 02 for arrival, no matter what the runway. For me it's perfectly reasonable for a Q400 to land on 20, since like you, I've seen a lot of ATR 42/72s do it as well.

F9Animal

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:26 am

Wow! After looking at some of the photos shortly after the crash.... The common color was grey, for both the sky and ground. Any possibility of spatial awareness loss here? I seriously wish both the crew and ATC told them to just climb and try another approach.

sonicruiser

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:55 pm

ikolkyo

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Unacceptable behavior, wow..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos