Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

C010T3
Topic Author

Eurowings taking over DUS-EWR from Lufthansa

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:19 am

It has been reported that Lufthansa is closing its FA base at DUS. The same newspaper report describes how a Lufthansa spokesperson explains that the airline will concentrate at FRA and MUC, transitioning the last Lufthansa longhaul route to Eurowings in W18/19. That can only mean DUS-EWR.

Source: http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen ... 58410.html

FA9295

Re: Eurowings taking over DUS-EWR from Lufthansa

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 am

No surprise there. Kinda odd that they opened up that route in the first place, IMO.

SCQ83

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 am

I see Eurowings is moving most long-haul from CGN to DUS, but they still keep Puerto Plata and Punta Cana from CGN. Will they move those as well?

aemoreira1981

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:37 am

FA9295 wrote:
No surprise there. Kinda odd that they opened up that route in the first place, IMO.

It was actually two at first...EWR and ORD using mainline A343s. After ORD was cut, it was a W route with MUC for a time with an A346. I’m not surprised at EW is taking over this route.

codc10

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am

The DUS point of sale must be very strong for that route because, operationally, this would seem to make more sense as a UA 763 route.

PanHAM

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 am

Whenever they try a new Long haul route from CGN, they move that within 2 years to DUS. I once had an inaugural Invitation to fly CGN JFK, first flight by D10. That was moved to DUS as welll. The Pax numbers at DUS are simply better than at CGN.

GoldenArrow

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:07 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
I see Eurowings is moving most long-haul from CGN to DUS, but they still keep Puerto Plata and Punta Cana from CGN. Will they move those as well?

Eurowings will move all long-haul ops to DUS in winter season 18/19.

Freshside3

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm

A bit of a "Catch 22" here......DUS is more of a business route, as opposed to pleasure.....so you will get "x" number of sales in the premium cabins........but on the other hand, not enough to fill the front---or, for that matter, the back of the plane. At least with DUS being a hub for EW, you will get some feed. LH made the right decision.

All other DUS trips from the USA have not done well, historically. But this one probably has a better chance of succeeding, with lower fares---which will bring higher load factors, and more of a consistent flow of revenue. And at the same time, be less costly to run for the LH group.

jfklganyc

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Mercedes left NJ for GA. This route, I suspect, is on life support.

Remember, TXL and DUS out of JFK were supposed to start on Eurowings this summer. Not happening.

DLHAM

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 pm

The same way they take over TXL-JFK? :D

FSDan

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Does this mean that DUS-EWR will no longer be part of the UA-LH Transatlantic JV?

I do think it makes sense for LH Group to consolidate their Rhine-Ruhr long haul ops at DUS. Once that happens, I believe their U.S. routes will be DUS-SEA, DUS-LAS, DUS-MIA, DUS-RSW, DUS-MCO, DUS-EWR, and DUS-JFK.

FSDan

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Remember, TXL and DUS out of JFK were supposed to start on Eurowings this summer. Not happening.

Mercedes-Benz/Daimler is based in Stuttgart, so I doubt they were contributing much to the DUS-EWR route to begin with.

DUS-JFK is indeed starting in April on a EW 343, but I don't think TXL-JFK materialized.

ua900

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Sounds very much in line with the rest of the company operations. Any word on when EW will pick up more of the long haul flying that was left orphaned when AB went under? Seems to me that with TXL not working out for EW and now DUS also having more of a gap with LH's long haul departures, that it opens up quite a bit of room to expand for others.

Ronaldo747

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:25 pm

FSDan wrote:

Mercedes-Benz/Daimler is based in Stuttgart, so I doubt they were contributing much to the DUS-EWR route to begin with.

There is a big factory in DUS producing Mercedes-Benz vans, including the Freightliner Sprinter for the US market.

SQ22

Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm

DLHAM wrote:

Off topic: For the time being not. After LH is ending its service there will be no EW service. They claimed they were not able to obtain any suitable slots at JFK.

http://www.airliners.de/eurowings-berlin-new-york/43913

Maybe at a later stage they are able to obtain a suitable pair.

whywhyzee

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

It was actually two at first...EWR and ORD using mainline A343s. After ORD was cut, it was a W route with MUC for a time with an A346. I’m not surprised at EW is taking over this route.

They did DUS-YYZ on the A343 as well

aemoreira1981

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

SQ22 wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

Off topic: For the time being not. After LH is ending its service there will be no EW service. They claimed they were not able to obtain any suitable slots at JFK.

http://www.airliners.de/eurowings-berlin-new-york/43913

Maybe at a later stage they are able to obtain a suitable pair.

I believe LH. They probably wanted a prime evening departure not available...and there may also be gate issues at T1.

jfklganyc

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

That is a BS answer and you guys are falling for it hook line and sinker.

The route is currently flying and AB had 3 or 4 JFK slots.

LH is now a monopoly airline. They have no interest Flying you anywhere but Frankfurt and Munich.

Hopefully another airline will start the route.

But dont fall for slot BS please. LH has been flying to Kennedy for 70 years...they know how to get slots when they announce a route.

DLHAM

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:53 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

LH is now a monopoly airline. They have no interest Flying you anywhere but Frankfurt and Munich.

But dont fall for slot BS please. LH has been flying to Kennedy for 70 years...they know how to get slots when they announce a route.

Thats exactly what I think too. They want their passengers to fly through MUC and FRA. If it was Lufthansas choice they would even make UA cancel their flight.

PanHAM

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 am

@jfklganyc
7ß years ago LH wasn't even allowed to fly, they started in 1955 again, at a time when JFK was still called Idlewild

dampfnudel

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:01 am

jfklganyc wrote:

So the question becomes when does DY come to town?

mxaxai

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 am

dampfnudel wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Probably the same day they announce their first major expansion into Germany at all. Their large presence in the UK and the mediterranean countries masks the fact that their coverage of large portions of Europe is poor and the medial hype and A.net's fascination with their long-haul plans makes one massively overestimate their long-haul presence.

SCQ83

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 am

mxaxai wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Probably the same day they announce their first major expansion into Germany at all. Their large presence in the UK and the mediterranean countries masks the fact that their coverage of large portions of Europe is poor and the medial hype and A.net's fascination with their long-haul plans makes one massively overestimate their long-haul presence.

There is a thread about this :)

viewtopic.php?t=1350239

IMO DUS would be a perfect airport for Norwegian given the enormous local market at NRW. And now they would even have a monopoly on the California (LAX/OAK) and Boston market.

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Ronaldo747 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

There is a big factory in DUS producing Mercedes-Benz vans, including the Freightliner Sprinter for the US market.

Daimler is opening a big plant in North Charleston, SC, to supply the North American market, to go online in 2018. It won't be assembling Sprinter vans from Complete Knock Down kits (CKD).

vhtje

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

FSDan wrote:
Does this mean that DUS-EWR will no longer be part of the UA-LH Transatlantic JV?

This is my question also. Or rather, can Eurowings operate JV flights? If so, by this move is there not a possibility of them annoying JV partners and their passengers?

LGAviation

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm

vhtje wrote:
FSDan wrote:

This is my question also. Or rather, can Eurowings operate JV flights? If so, by this move is there not a possibility of them annoying JV partners and their passengers?

Eurowings isn't part yet and that's one of the reasons they chose JFK over EWR initially. I would think that LH Group will cut DUS-EWR altogether. UA definitely would have to begin some sort of TATL service for connections on the US end to avoid double-connects or the LH-UA JV will needlessly essentially give up market share among the DUS-CGN business community.

seahawk

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

They chose JFK because the touristic demand for it is there and AB no longer served it. We will see if EW also flies to EWR or if UA takes this route. Certainly though Star Alliance will not give up those connections.

SQ22

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 pm

seahawk wrote:
They chose JFK because the touristic demand for it is there and AB no longer served it. We will see if EW also flies to EWR or if UA takes this route. Certainly though Star Alliance will not give up those connections.

UA taking over EWR would indeed be a good solution.

jerseyewr777

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

I heard someone in the past refer to this route as the "Bayer Bus". Bayer still employs over 2,000 people in Whippany, NJ which is their North American headquarters. Doesn't Bayer have a large headquarters just south of DUS?? Having said this, what makes you think it's on life support?

Bhoy

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:36 pm

jerseyewr777 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

I heard someone in the past refer to this route as the "Bayer Bus". Bayer still employs over 2,000 people in Whippany, NJ which is their North American headquarters. Doesn't Bayer have a large headquarters just south of DUS??

Yes, Bayer's global HQ is in Leverkusen, just north of Cologne, and 40km from DUS.

Kilopond

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Bhoy wrote:
[...]Yes, Bayer's global HQ is in Leverkusen, just north of Cologne, and 40km from DUS.

And bear in mind that the 80% foreign/globally owned Bayer corporation is in the process of successfully taking over Monsanto. :eek:

DUSZRH

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm

DUS-EWR has a very long history with LH and will be flown somehow. The LH base is supposed to be closed in early 2019, so we will see in a couple of months how this transfer will look like.

RJNUT

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 pm

wasn't this at one time served by Privatair B737 or a NB Airbus?

jerseyewr777

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm

RJNUT wrote:
wasn't this at one time served by Privatair B737 or a NB Airbus?

Correct. Back in 2002 the PrivatAir 737 flew EWR-DUS.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 am

Eurowings is a poor airline, since they charged for everything onboard even entertainment.

jfklganyc

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 am

PanHAM wrote:
@jfklganyc
7ß years ago LH wasn't even allowed to fly, they started in 1955 again, at a time when JFK was still called Idlewild

You do realize 1955 is now 63 years ago, right? Time marches on. I just rounded up! haha

mxaxai

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Eurowings is a poor airline, since they charged for everything onboard even entertainment.

It is / wants to be a LCC. And you only know that your flight was super super cheap if you get charged for everything that comes extra. Otherwise you might get the idea that there could be cheaper flights out there.
This flight is very clearly not geared towards business traffic but towards those who are willing to save a few bucks upfront in exchange for poor service.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos