LamboAston

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2018

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 pm

qf789 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I think you may find it also has something to do with insurance. Effectively if you are travelling in a group (such as a school group, sporting group etc) you may not be covered if you are not wearing the uniform and this covers all forms of travel whether it be flying, in a car, in a bus etc.

I think it's more to do with teacher group control and/or school policy for behaviour purposes- I doubt insurance plays a factor at all.

I have previously travelled in a group environment where we were required to wear uniform for travelling purposes for insurance reasons, hence my reply. While it probably wont apply to all group travel it applies to some

My school has two trips to Africa this year, and those on the big one have to wear uniform, but for my small one, we don't.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

eamondzhang

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 am

Boof wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Correction west coast

Your correction made me think about the US East Coast and if HA did fly PER-HNL, it would bring the US East Coast to one stop as well and make it around a 24 hour journey as HA fly HNL-JFK which blocks around 9 hours. HNL-PER is slightly longer than AKL-LAX so assume 12 hours or thereabouts for that leg and 2 hours on the ground (assuming they schedule them to meet LAX and JFK connections) and it can be done.

Of course with Project Sunrise JFK would be one stop from PER via SYD but would avoid an assumed 20 hour non-stop flight, and being in HNL would give pax a nice little tropical stopover if desired.

With the starting of PER-LHR non-stop they might also try one-stop PER-LHR-East Coast, and timing wise I actually don't think it's too bad.

Like PER-LHR-JFK it will be one-stop 26h flying, with a 3 hour transit at LHR, although you have to go T3 to T5.

Just my 1c.

Cheers
Michael

Qantas16

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 am

eamondzhang wrote:
Boof wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Correction west coast

Your correction made me think about the US East Coast and if HA did fly PER-HNL, it would bring the US East Coast to one stop as well and make it around a 24 hour journey as HA fly HNL-JFK which blocks around 9 hours. HNL-PER is slightly longer than AKL-LAX so assume 12 hours or thereabouts for that leg and 2 hours on the ground (assuming they schedule them to meet LAX and JFK connections) and it can be done.

Of course with Project Sunrise JFK would be one stop from PER via SYD but would avoid an assumed 20 hour non-stop flight, and being in HNL would give pax a nice little tropical stopover if desired.

With the starting of PER-LHR non-stop they might also try one-stop PER-LHR-East Coast, and timing wise I actually don't think it's too bad.

Like PER-LHR-JFK it will be one-stop 26h flying, with a 3 hour transit at LHR, although you have to go T3 to T5.

Just my 1c.

Cheers
Michael

Never going to happen. Passengers could easily connect onto BA/AA services LHR-JFK if they really wanted to and QF isn't going to waste a valuable slot (that they don't currently have) on a tag-on flight that would be competing with two of their biggest alliance partners.

Boof

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 am

undertheradar wrote:
Just a random query for my own education/knowledge and completely off any current topic! In the past I'm sure I have read somewhere on the internet but I have searched and searched on CASA site but gave up trying to find specific info! CASA (or some other Australian regulator) does not allow Australian registered aircraft to have FULLY enclosed passenger seats, which is why Australian registered aircraft cannot have fully enclosed seats with doors a la what various other airlines have in First/Business class) Is this true? Does anyone here know? I'm very sure I read it, I just cant find it anywhere! Just looking for the facts...not 'opinions'. :)

I remember reading this same thing about why QF don't have enclosed First on the A380. A lot of the references to regs for EASA and the FAA for seating are contained in this article about the challenges that VA had with the new business class seats in the 77W and A332 fleets. https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/07/1 ... ag-design/

CASA is mentioned in the article as needing the same standards as EASA and FAA but there isn't a reference to the CASA regs I'm sorry. Hopefully this will help you find what you're looking for.
Bring back Virgin Blue!

RyanairGuru

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:44 am

Boof wrote:
undertheradar wrote:
Just a random query for my own education/knowledge and completely off any current topic! In the past I'm sure I have read somewhere on the internet but I have searched and searched on CASA site but gave up trying to find specific info! CASA (or some other Australian regulator) does not allow Australian registered aircraft to have FULLY enclosed passenger seats, which is why Australian registered aircraft cannot have fully enclosed seats with doors a la what various other airlines have in First/Business class) Is this true? Does anyone here know? I'm very sure I read it, I just cant find it anywhere! Just looking for the facts...not 'opinions'. :)

I remember reading this same thing about why QF don't have enclosed First on the A380. A lot of the references to regs for EASA and the FAA for seating are contained in this article about the challenges that VA had with the new business class seats in the 77W and A332 fleets. https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2015/07/1 ... ag-design/

CASA is mentioned in the article as needing the same standards as EASA and FAA but there isn't a reference to the CASA regs I'm sorry. Hopefully this will help you find what you're looking for.

Clearly it isn’t an issue for FAA given that both JetBlue Mint and Delta One now have enclosed seats with a closing door. Whether CASA follow the FAA’s lead is indeed the question.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:15 am

Final touches are being put on the new international business lounge at PER T3, final reveal will be 23 March, 1 day before PER-LHR starts

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/travel ... b88769370z
Forum Moderator

waoz1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:25 am

air mauritius will have a new-look inflight product for Perth to Mauritius services from 29 June 2018, including lie-flat business class beds on the A330-200.

As noted today on perth airport news they did say on there upto 4 weekly flights.

waoz1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 am

Virgin flight returned to Perth mid flight to Adelaide

Bad smell coming from the back of the airbus around 100 passengers onboard.

https://thewest.com.au/news/travel/virg ... b88770856z

qf002

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Never going to happen. Passengers could easily connect onto BA/AA services LHR-JFK if they really wanted to and QF isn't going to waste a valuable slot (that they don't currently have) on a tag-on flight that would be competing with two of their biggest alliance partners.

The suggestion wasn't that QF should fly LHR-USA, but that passengers might consider doing so (same as what you are suggesting).

kriskim

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:41 pm

waoz1 wrote:
Virgin flight returned to Perth mid flight to Adelaide

Bad smell coming from the back of the airbus around 100 passengers onboard.

https://thewest.com.au/news/travel/virg ... b88770856z

Didn’t even realise that the A320’s were doing capital city flights you normally see mainline VA do!
A world built upon connectivity.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Have been informed that one of the 2 daily Batik flights has been axed due to light loads
Forum Moderator

XAM2175

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:09 pm

qf002 wrote:
The suggestion wasn't that QF should fly LHR-USA, but that passengers might consider doing so (same as what you are suggesting).

Funnily enough QF do still have traffic rights for it :p

But yeah, not going to happen on QF metal anytime soon. Doing a dummy booking also shows that they'd much rather route you via the Pacific on NYC-PER, presumably because it gives the greatest option for all-QF itineraries (though I did see a UA EWR-LAX leg in there).

Also I expect that BA/AA revenue management would rather not lose a UK-US O&D seat to an out-of-the-way connection.

F100Flyer

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 pm

qf789 wrote:
Have been informed that one of the 2 daily Batik flights has been axed due to light loads

Hardly surprising. 2 extra flights a day was completely overkill on a sector which already had around 7 daily flights.

Qantas16

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 pm

qf002 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Sorry, you are right and I read that incorrectly. Did a quick dummy booking through BA website and it offers a lot of PER-SIN (QF) SIN-LHR (BA) LHR-JFK (BA or AA) but couldn't get a PER-LHR-JFK routing without a HKG/SIN stop.

F100Flyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Hardly surprising. 2 extra flights a day was completely overkill on a sector which already had around 7 daily flights.

Whilst that is true, the Lion Air Group has big plans for the Australian market (apparently) so I would have expected them to hold out longer to build brand recognition, even if it does run at a loss.

eamondzhang

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
Boof wrote:

Just my 1c.

Cheers
Michael

Should've said more clearly in my original text; I was meant to say pax can transfer onto AA/BA easily to East Coast USA.

Cheers
Michael

undertheradar

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Thanks Boof and RyanairGuru for taking the time to help me answer my little query :) I reckon there is an Australian regulation 'somewhere' regarding the restriction, but sifting through the reams of pages of regulations does my head in lol Although it does highlight the volume of rules/regs airlines have to adhere to! Cheers :)

tullamarine

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:01 am

undertheradar wrote:
Thanks Boof and RyanairGuru for taking the time to help me answer my little query :) I reckon there is an Australian regulation 'somewhere' regarding the restriction, but sifting through the reams of pages of regulations does my head in lol Although it does highlight the volume of rules/regs airlines have to adhere to! Cheers :)

I believe the issue VA had with The Business seating was not enclosure but angle off centre line. As the seats angle increases (which enables more seats to be fitted in a given space), the effectiveness of a normal seat belt and headrest decreases. VA and B/E Aerospace overcame this with the fitting of an airbag within the seatbelt.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

qf2220

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:45 am

undertheradar wrote:

Perhaps send an email off to CASA (or phone them even)? I have on many occasions sent off an email to an agency (and occasionally a public company) and then about a month later got a phonecall with an answer. When you phrase it as an interested member of the public asking as youre curious, it seems that an agency staff member takes delight in doing something that is out of the ordinary for someone.

Examples include Sydney airport about why we have split terminals, BITRE about rail distances, and MDBA about the early geological history of the Murray River.

Give it a go - see if they answer.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 am

Looks like QF wants 778/A359ULR to be a 4 class aircraft including a new first class product

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-wants-f ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

planemanofnz

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 am

CBR has lower two-way traffic flows with China than NAN and WLG.

See: http://www.anna.aero/2018/03/07/chinese ... 2010-2017/.

I find this surprising - it looks like CX and/or CZ to CBR is unlikely?

In fact, NAN and WLG are also ahead of the likes of DRW / OOL.

Cheers,

C.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:00 am

Is it just me or is the a.net server running very slow and with very sporadic connections today?

eamondzhang

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:18 am

qf789 wrote:
Looks like QF wants 778/A359ULR to be a 4 class aircraft including a new first class product

I'm not too surprised about this. Pretty sure LHR and JFK sectors are long enough (especially when running non-stop) to have some F class traffic.

Michael

EK413

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:41 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Is it just me or is the a.net server running very slow and with very sporadic connections today?

You could just be onto something there. Thought my wifi at home was playing up but seems to work fine whilst browsing other sites. (Currently using mobile data)

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:54 am

EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

You could just be onto something there. Thought my wifi at home was playing up but seems to work fine whilst browsing other sites. (Currently using mobile data)

EK413

There have been some recurring issues since servers went software upgrades a couple of weeks ago, if any one are having any problems please let me know so I can follow up
Forum Moderator

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:15 am

Yes I’m still have problems but oddly when using my mobile everything is fine!

Boof

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Clearly it isn’t an issue for FAA given that both JetBlue Mint and Delta One now have enclosed seats with a closing door. Whether CASA follow the FAA’s lead is indeed the question.

I was looking for the STC for these but can't find them. I'm assuming the doors have to be open for T/O and Landing so I can't see why CASA would say no, but CASA is often a long way behind the rest of the world in accepting/approving things. The extreme EDTO/ETOPS is also approved elsewhere but not in Australia.

tullamarine wrote:
undertheradar wrote:

I believe the issue VA had with The Business seating was not enclosure but angle off centre line. As the seats angle increases (which enables more seats to be fitted in a given space), the effectiveness of a normal seat belt and headrest decreases. VA and B/E Aerospace overcame this with the fitting of an airbag within the seatbelt.

This was mentioned in the link I posted. I only posted that for the reg numbers for FAA and EASA standards not so much to do with the VA issue itself.

@undertheradar CAO 20.16.3 covers the carriage of persons and states that a person must occupy a seat of an approved type but doesn't specify what "approved" is. https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2009C00628

Must be something to do with accepting of the STC associated with seats with doors. https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and-ce ... rtificates
Bring back Virgin Blue!

EK413

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:41 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

EK413

There have been some recurring issues since servers went software upgrades a couple of weeks ago, if any one are having any problems please let me know so I can follow up

Definitely a problem with the server other websites running fine.

EK413

redroo

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 am

eamondzhang wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I'm not too surprised about this. Pretty sure LHR and JFK sectors are long enough (especially when running non-stop) to have some F class traffic.

Michael

I’m not surprised either.

The 777 is the clear winner in this race as it gives QF something bigger than what they have (787) and the potential to do “the holy grail” non stop. When it’s not doing London and New York it can provide more lift to Hong Kong and Singapore.

The A350 is just not big enough in my opinion. And I highly doubt QF is going to buy anything with RR engines for a long time. There has been a lot of bad blood between the two companies since the QF32.

V8CHRGD

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:42 am

redroo wrote:

The A350 is just not big enough in my opinion. And I highly doubt QF is going to buy anything with RR engines for a long time. There has been a lot of bad blood between the two companies since the QF32.

I think there would be quite a few airlines unimpressed with RR at the moment.

Zkpilot

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

V8CHRGD wrote:
redroo wrote:

NZ and VS are two of them.
57 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

JBusworth

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 pm

qf789 wrote:

I think QF realises that they need a small (6 seat 1-1-1) first class cabin at the front of the A350/777x. There would definitely be enough demand to fill a small cabin, particularly on flights to LHR and JFK and on those long flights some people would be willing to pay the premium over Business. I would hope for an all new enclosed suite, but I'm not sure CASA would allow that.

DeltaB717

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Boof wrote:
The extreme EDTO/ETOPS is also approved elsewhere but not in Australia.

Actually, what you term 'extreme EDTO/ETOPS' (which I take to include EDTO up to 330-370 minutes and polar operations) has been possible under Australian legislation and standards for several years now. No operator has, to the best of my knowledge, sought approval for either extended EDTO or polar operations, but it is possible. Some time around 2015, from memory. Your point that CASA is often far behind other parts of the world, however, is spot on and is most definitely demonstrated in how long it took CASA to come around to this particular issue.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Qantas to unveil upgraded facilities at PER T3 today in lead up to PER-LHR (excluding lounge)

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88771098z
Forum Moderator

ben175

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:03 am

Where is JQ going when QF moves in to Terminal 3? JQ has services to MEL and ADL in the evening around the same time QF9 will depart. I assume they will just go to remote stands?

jrfspa320

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:02 am

ben175 wrote:
Where is JQ going when QF moves in to Terminal 3? JQ has services to MEL and ADL in the evening around the same time QF9 will depart. I assume they will just go to remote stands?

Nowhere, there will still be plenty of space in T3 for JQ, who usually park on the southern-most non airbridge gates anyway.

oskarclare

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:38 am

Hevilift ex VA ATR72 VH-FVM has arrived at BNE in full Hevilift livery to start fifo in May.
Now a ATR42 and ATR72 here in BNE for Hevilift Airlines. Welcome to our newest carrier!

tealnz

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 am

redroo wrote:
I’m not surprised either. The 777 is the clear winner in this race as it gives QF something bigger than what they have (787) and the potential to do “the holy grail” non stop. When it’s not doing London and New York it can provide more lift to Hong Kong and Singapore. The A350 is just not big enough in my opinion.

Certainly looks as if the 778 will have the edge in terms of ULH capability. But let's wait and see. You'd expect 15 x 778 to cost a shedload more than 15 x 359. And if QF does the big switch into non-stop ULH from multiple Australian cities to multiple destinations that Joyce is signalling then they'll need a big fleet. Cost (capital cost, trip cost...) and flexibility (simple to refit the 359ULR airframe for regular long haul, without the extra weight of the 778) might be persuasive for the Qantas board.

Planesmart

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:14 am

V8CHRGD wrote:

Most customers agree RR handling of the issues, and terms agreed, are very satisfactory. Inconvenient, but handled well and generously. Good enough no customer has breached the related confidentiality agreement, deferred deliveries (except where due to engine availability) or cancelled.

Planesmart

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:19 am

redroo wrote:
There has been a lot of bad blood between the two companies since the QF32.

My understanding is quite the opposite. QF senior management were impressed with the RR response and settlement terms.

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 am

"Qantas set to unveil upgraded Terminal 3 in preparation for nonstop flights to London", PER T3 international wing to have three international gates which can also be used for domestic flights

https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88771098z

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 am

Anybody want a job at Australian Business Traveller? Website is hiring a full time journalist who can write "the pointy end" the maximum number of times in any given article.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/write-for-aust ... ource=hero

Whatsaptudo

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 am

With Qantas finally confirming the reconfiguration of 6 (4 current domestic and the 2 international) A332's. What are your predictions for routes these aircraft will be used on?
SIN/CGK/MNL and some services to HKG, could all still use the "domestic/single toilet/no Pilot crew rest" versions or A333's, so they are expanding the fleet capable of longer haul operations. There must be a plan for this capability. Where to?
My prediction is South Africa.
Curious to here other opinions.

EK413

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
With Qantas finally confirming the reconfiguration of 6 (4 current domestic and the 2 international) A332's. What are your predictions for routes these aircraft will be used on?
SIN/CGK/MNL and some services to HKG, could all still use the "domestic/single toilet/no Pilot crew rest" versions or A333's, so they are expanding the fleet capable of longer haul operations. There must be a plan for this capability. Where to?
My prediction is South Africa.
Curious to here other opinions.

If you click back 1 page your answers are there.

“The international A330 schedule (excluding NZ) uses around 14 to 15 A330s a day with a bit of slack. So 16 pure international A330s should cover all the existing flying.”

EK413

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:26 am

I'm surprised Qantas hasn't restarted KUL, to me that seems an obvious 'new' route within Asia.

Whatsaptudo

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am

Sure EK. But why would QF install Pilot Crew rests to these aircraft, just so they could fly them to destinations they already do? I’d suggest it’s more involved than “the current international schedule”. QF wouldn’t spend the money. They are for use elsewhere, I’m just curious as to where you think.

waoz1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 am

First peek at the upgraded T3 International at Perth for the new Qantas flights

Looks pretty good
https://thewest.com.au/business/aviatio ... b88771891z

moa999

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
I'm surprised Qantas hasn't restarted KUL, to me that seems an obvious 'new' route within Asia.
Limited business demand.
Low yields with MH, D7 and OD flying to the various Australian ports.

If anything I'd think it's a JQ route, but I suspect the yields don't even meet their criteria

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am

So there's TWICE the security checks and queues for PER passengers on international QF flights now?

Here's what the GT article says. "Passengers for all Qantas international flights from March 24 will check in at T4, where most Qantas domestic passengers check-in for flights and then move to the usual domestic security. Once through that process they will make their way to the international wing which is located in the adjacent T4.
They will then proceed to international security and passport control and then into the international departures area."

Doesn't sound ideal, does it!

Also, had to raise an eyebrow at this line. "While there are two levels of security, that is expected to be offset by the more intimate and easier processing with typically far fewer passengers."

Besides being a bit apologist for QF and PER, I would never want to use the word "intimate" to describe airport security checks! LOL

moa999

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:58 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Sure EK. But why would QF install Pilot Crew rests to these aircraft, just so they could fly them to destinations they already do? I’d suggest it’s more involved than “the current international schedule”..

Think it's more for passenger comfort. Obviously EBG/EBL need an upgrade, and plenty of complaints about the 1 J-class toilet and lack of galley space on the longer Asian flights.

Other flight possibility I could see is PER-JNB - SA has been using a 332 on the route recently with ETOPS240 routing, along with SYD-JNB downguaged to 787 (say from late 2020 with aircraft #9/10)

(Assuming CASA approval for something over 180 for both aircraft)
Last edited by moa999 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

moa999

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:00 am

Same as ADL and CBR procedures. Only one screening for transfer pax though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos