Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qantas16

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2018

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 am

moa999 wrote:
Same as ADL and CBR procedures. Only one screening for transfer pax though.

Also same as OOL... mainly screening for LAGS I guess cause that's the main difference between international and domestic security requirements

SYDSpotter

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:31 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
So there's TWICE the security checks and queues for PER passengers on international QF flights now?

Here's what the GT article says. "Passengers for all Qantas international flights from March 24 will check in at T4, where most Qantas domestic passengers check-in for flights and then move to the usual domestic security. Once through that process they will make their way to the international wing which is located in the adjacent T4.
They will then proceed to international security and passport control and then into the international departures area."

Doesn't sound ideal, does it!

As others have noted previously, due mainly to the different LAG requirements of domestic vs Intl. The double security checks also remind of KLIA where there are 2 layers of security, one post immigration and one at the gate. Will be fun for those who insist on packing tons of electronics in a myriad of carry on bags, lots of packing and unpacking !

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 am

Can anybody confirm if JQ international flights from PER will still be T1 or are they also moving to the new QF T3 'international wing'?

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:47 am

Unruly QF passenger on a PER-BNE flight from July last year receives a $10,500 fine and is order to pay QF $15,207

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/crime/ ... b88772791z

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 am

Qantas, Changi Airport Group and Singapore Tourism Board sign a $5 million, 3 year deal to promote travel on Qantas services via SIN through a series of marketing campaigns in Australia, UK and Southeast Asia

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ort-group/

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

Here are some close up images of VH-ZNC on the photo shoot over Seattle which was done prior to delivery

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/spe ... 87-quokka/

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 am

qf789 wrote:
Unruly QF passenger on a PER-BNE flight from July last year receives a $10,500 fine and is order to pay QF $15,207

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/crime/ ... b88772791z

Excellent news. The courts need to keep coming down hard on these types of idiots. Hopefully he's also banned from QF and JQ flights, on top of being $25k out of pocket.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

moa999 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Can anybody confirm if JQ international flights from PER will still be T1 or are they also moving to the new QF T3 'international wing'?
Not seen anything suggesting it, although after Late-March changes it's only PER-DPS. The Qantas lounge will reportedly remain open in T1

Yes JQ will remain at T1

moa999

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Not seen anything suggesting it, although after Late-March changes it's only PER-DPS. The Qantas lounge will reportedly remain open in T1

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
So there's TWICE the security checks and queues for PER passengers on international QF flights now?

Here's what the GT article says. "Passengers for all Qantas international flights from March 24 will check in at T4, where most Qantas domestic passengers check-in for flights and then move to the usual domestic security. Once through that process they will make their way to the international wing which is located in the adjacent T4.
They will then proceed to international security and passport control and then into the international departures area."

Doesn't sound ideal, does it!

Also, had to raise an eyebrow at this line. "While there are two levels of security, that is expected to be offset by the more intimate and easier processing with typically far fewer passengers."

Besides being a bit apologist for QF and PER, I would never want to use the word "intimate" to describe airport security checks! LOL

As said this already happens at several airports around Australia. I didn’t find it particularly inconvenient when I went through CBR.

In addition to liquid restrictions, which is the most obvious to passengers, there are other behind the scenes requirements as the ICAO regulations are much stricter than CASA’s about keeping the sterile area, well sterile.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:06 am

VH-OQD has departed DXB and will arrive in SYD around 9am tomorrow

https://twitter.com/YMMLaviation/status ... 0516003840

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am

WA government to send delegation to India in coming months as it targets a direct service from India

https://blueswandaily.com/western-austr ... -to-india/

moa999

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 am

qf789 wrote:
VH-OQD has departed DXB and will arrive in SYD around 9am

QF6064 so no pax. Would have thought they could have swapped it with another DXB aircraft

AsiaTravel

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:26 am

According to this french news website, Qantas will launch PER/CDG by the end of the year.

https://www.deplacementspros.com/Exclusif-Qantas-ouvrira-son-Perth-Paris-avant-la-fin-septembre-2018_a47388.html

waoz1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:28 am

AsiaTravel wrote:
According to this french news website, Qantas will launch PER/CDG by the end of the year.

https://www.deplacementspros.com/Exclusif-Qantas-ouvrira-son-Perth-Paris-avant-la-fin-septembre-2018_a47388.html

Interesting hope it happens

waoz1

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:36 am

qf789 wrote:
WA government to send delegation to India in coming months as it targets a direct service from India

https://blueswandaily.com/western-austr ... -to-india/

Glad theres an effort finally could be huge potential....i remember air india and british airways with direct links back in the 80s

JBusworth

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 pm

EK413 wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:
With Qantas finally confirming the reconfiguration of 6 (4 current domestic and the 2 international) A332's. What are your predictions for routes these aircraft will be used on?
SIN/CGK/MNL and some services to HKG, could all still use the "domestic/single toilet/no Pilot crew rest" versions or A333's, so they are expanding the fleet capable of longer haul operations. There must be a plan for this capability. Where to?
My prediction is South Africa.
Curious to here other opinions.

If you click back 1 page your answers are there.

“The international A330 schedule (excluding NZ) uses around 14 to 15 A330s a day with a bit of slack. So 16 pure international A330s should cover all the existing flying.”

EK413

I'm pretty sure these changes are to allow all Asian and Hawaii services to be services by international config A330s. I agree that maybe CGK or MNL could use a Domestic config to allow for something like MEL-BKK or PER-NRT.

AsiaTravel wrote:

What do these guys know that we don't? I think it is just rumours that are yet to substantiated. SYD-PER-CDG is still my pick for 787s 9/10 though.

qf002

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Whatsaptudo wrote:
With Qantas finally confirming the reconfiguration of 6 (4 current domestic and the 2 international) A332's.

EBG and EBL (the Skybed aircraft) will get the standard 28J/243Y configuration with iPads in Y. The 6 frames to be converted to the new international 27J/243Y configuration will come from the 8 that are already fitted with Panasonic PTVs in both J and Y.

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Sure EK. But why would QF install Pilot Crew rests to these aircraft, just so they could fly them to destinations they already do? I’d suggest it’s more involved than “the current international schedule”. QF wouldn’t spend the money. They are for use elsewhere, I’m just curious as to where you think.

The announcement didn't say anything about crew rests, just an additional toilet, larger galleys and new fabric seat coverings in J. There isn't space for them to fit an extra loo, more galley space PLUS a cockpit rest area (which would displace half of the D1 galley) while losing only a single seat.

AsiaTravel wrote:

QF has already scheduled their 787s for this year, if CDG happens then it won't be until the end of 2019 at the earliest.

moa999

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm

qf002 wrote:
QF has already scheduled their 787s for this year, if CDG happens then it won't be until the end of 2019 at the earliest.

And only then if they sent #7/8 from BNE, or moved the base. Otherwise you are likely talking July 2020 it later given the recent deferral suggests QF only wants 4 in FY20

HM7

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm

qf789 wrote:

So was it repainted?

qf002

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm

moa999 wrote:
And only then if they sent #7/8 from BNE, or moved the base. Otherwise you are likely talking July 2020 it later given the recent deferral suggests QF only wants 4 in FY20

I think you are mixing up your financial years - FY20 will begin on 1 July 2019.

EK413

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm

HM7 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

So was it repainted?

Sources have indicated aircraft had landing gear change & repaint whilst other sources indicate just gear change. We’ll need to wait until the morning.
Surprised no DXB spotters posted anything which makes me believe no new paint job. Are 17 days enough to do both? Doubt it.

EK413

vhebb

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:35 pm

The only slack in the fleet of 787s is around 3x weekly out of BNE which is apparently for a new USA destination.... unless they do BNE-PER-CDG? But QF have said if Paris is launched it needs to be close to a daily service to work not 3x weekly.

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

The article about PER-CDG is interesting. It is much better written than anything AusBT have ever published, which I feel does lend some credibility.

IF the article is true, which is a big if, then that could only mean that there has been a change of plan and Qantas are now looking at Paris instead of the new North American destination from Brisbane. Everything has gone quiet on that front so that is a possibility.

I think it’s more likely though that there has been a misunderstanding between the writer and his source. According to the article the flight will start “septembre prochain”, next September.

On Sunday I was talking to someone about ‘next Monday’ which they assumed meant the next day. No that is tomorrow! Next Monday is next week! I mention this because there is no set definition of ‘next week’. We know from context what we mean, but there is opportunity for confusion as that assumes everyone has the same frame of reference.

To me next September means September 2019. If I meant September 2018 I’d have said September 2018. September 2019 would line up with FY20 deliveries. I could be wrong, but that’s my guess.

Whatsaptudo

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 pm

qf002 wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:
With Qantas finally confirming the reconfiguration of 6 (4 current domestic and the 2 international) A332's.

EBG and EBL (the Skybed aircraft) will get the standard 28J/243Y configuration with iPads in Y. The 6 frames to be converted to the new international 27J/243Y configuration will come from the 8 that are already fitted with Panasonic PTVs in both J and Y.

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Sure EK. But why would QF install Pilot Crew rests to these aircraft, just so they could fly them to destinations they already do? I’d suggest it’s more involved than “the current international schedule”. QF wouldn’t spend the money. They are for use elsewhere, I’m just curious as to where you think.

The announcement didn't say anything about crew rests, just an additional toilet, larger galleys and new fabric seat coverings in J. There isn't space for them to fit an extra loo, more galley space PLUS a cockpit rest area (which would displace half of the D1 galley) while losing only a single seat.

Fair enough, the media realease doesn’t speak of the crew rest, but internally we have been told it’s part of the reconfigure. EBS should be the first aircraft and it will be available in the new config in June, so it’s all happening in a hurry.

A350OZ

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:19 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
The article about PER-CDG is interesting. It is much better written than anything AusBT have ever published, which I feel does lend some credibility.

IF the article is true, which is a big if, then that could only mean that there has been a change of plan and Qantas are now looking at Paris instead of the new North American destination from Brisbane. Everything has gone quiet on that front so that is a possibility.

I think it’s more likely though that there has been a misunderstanding between the writer and his source. According to the article the flight will start “septembre prochain”, next September.

On Sunday I was talking to someone about ‘next Monday’ which they assumed meant the next day. No that is tomorrow! Next Monday is next week! I mention this because there is no set definition of ‘next week’. We know from context what we mean, but there is opportunity for confusion as that assumes everyone has the same frame of reference.

To me next September means September 2019. If I meant September 2018 I’d have said September 2018. September 2019 would line up with FY20 deliveries. I could be wrong, but that’s my guess.

I agree. To me, September 2018 would be "this September", while "next September" can easily be September 2019. It would certainly better line up with the availability of the 789 fleet. And I do not see them commencing CDG with a 3pw frequency, it does not make sense in competition with the ME3, SQ, CX etc.

getluv

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Internally, QF did a call out for fluent French speaking staff a few months ago to go to Paris for "several months".

With the new investment they've made in Perth, they are going to have to keep adding flights to get a ROI.
Last edited by getluv on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boof

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm

DeltaB717 wrote:
Boof wrote:
The extreme EDTO/ETOPS is also approved elsewhere but not in Australia.

Actually, what you term 'extreme EDTO/ETOPS' (which I take to include EDTO up to 330-370 minutes and polar operations) has been possible under Australian legislation and standards for several years now. No operator has, to the best of my knowledge, sought approval for either extended EDTO or polar operations, but it is possible. Some time around 2015, from memory. Your point that CASA is often far behind other parts of the world, however, is spot on and is most definitely demonstrated in how long it took CASA to come around to this particular issue.

Thanks so much DeltaB717 for pointing this out. I didn't know the rules and CAAP had been updated, been a few years since I last looked and really appreciate you pointing this out. For anyone interested the details of the revised CAAP are here: https://www.casa.gov.au/file/105056/dow ... n=iwdq6K97

RyanairGuru wrote:

This comment made me chuckle. Sometimes the AusBT articles are just the press release using a few extra words.

JBusworth

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:

That would seem accurate. I would say next September means September 2019. If QF was to get at least 2 more 787s early next year then the route to Paris could be a go.

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm

French article is interesting but lacks any mention of a source which to me says it has low credibility. I'd have to look at other articles from that site, and know French, to assess if they have a track record of other articles which are accurate, if they don't they I'd ay this means no credibility at all, no fact checking, just another piece of 'fake news', a few bold statements with nothing to back it up.

However If this IS true then QF doesn't have the frames to support daily PER-CDG at the moment, having already said BNE-LAX-JFK would be a daily 787 plus a secondary BNE-LAX 747 becoming a 787. The only way they could achieve PER-CDG would be to pull a frame off BNE which means the promise of 4 x BNE and 4 x MEL goes, because MEL will ned at least 5.

As to that 'smile' flying pattern which QF says is what helps make efficient 787 utilisation you would have to think it would be CDG-PER-MEL and then one of the US west coast cities either LAX or SFO, because CDG & MEL are much more alike than CDG & BNE as far as French tourists go!

CraigAnderson

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:01 pm

AsiaTravel wrote:

Yeah, nah, I'm calling this one right out now as #fakenews

decry

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 pm

OQD hasn't been repainted.

qf744fan

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 am

Purely playing Devil’s advocate here as I don’t see PER-CDG starting this calendar year either (return on investment is one thing, but they need the birds to fly it)

But, next/prochain sometimes functions differently in English as compared to French. An example in the same article is referring to PER-LHR flights starting “next” March, when we know they’re only a fortnight away.

EK413

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am

decry wrote:
OQD hasn't been repainted.

Yeah I was watching it on Flightradar24 and flew directly over my place. Disappointed when I saw it in the broken clouds nevertheless have heard a whisper the 1st A380 will be entering the paint shop soon.

EK413

decry

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:00 am

Ya gotta love the misinformed posting of morons in the twattersphere!

EK413

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:19 am

decry wrote:
Ya gotta love the misinformed posting of morons in the twattersphere!

I’ve been misinformed in the past from very reliable sources so you can’t blame them entirely.

EK413

qf2220

Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:45 am

A350OZ wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I agree. To me, September 2018 would be "this September", while "next September" can easily be September 2019. It would certainly better line up with the availability of the 789 fleet. And I do not see them commencing CDG with a 3pw frequency, it does not make sense in competition with the ME3, SQ, CX etc.

We need a french speaker to give an accurate translation - who on the rest of the boards would be best?!

Though if translation is the issue, it could be that the original author, if speaking to an english speaker, could be the source of confusion too.

DavidByrne

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:52 am

qf2220 wrote:
A350OZ wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

We need a french speaker to give an accurate translation - who on the rest of the boards would be best?!

Though if translation is the issue, it could be that the original author, if speaking to an english speaker, could be the source of confusion too.

It's quite straightforward - the article says that "Qantas has made known that Perth/Paris would be a reality before the end of 2018, even advancing a possible date: next September."

That's clearly stating that it will be THIS year. Whether it's the truth, though, I can't judge!

A350OZ

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 am

DavidByrne wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
A350OZ wrote:

It's quite straightforward - the article says that "Qantas has made known that Perth/Paris would be a reality before the end of 2018, even advancing a possible date: next September."

That's clearly stating that it will be THIS year. Whether it's the truth, though, I can't judge!

Yes the article is clear, but suspicion is that the misunderstanding was between the source and the author of the article, i.e. the source saying "next September" (meaning 2019), and the author of the article taking it as September 2018 and writing the article including "before the end of 2018" accordingly. But we'll likely never know that.

qf002

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:18 am

RyanairGuru wrote:

But the article specifically mentions 2018 twice including the title - “Qantas ouriva (will open) Perth-Paris avant (before) la fin (the end) of September 2018”.

The article doesn’t provide any sort of source or qualification for its claims so I’m inclined to say that it was written by somebody who saw an old speculative news article or press release and couldn’t be bothered researching further to realise that there was no way QF would be launching services to CDG this year.

qf2220

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 am

Does anyone have a calendar of delivery slots for the 789 frames that QF has? Both fully confirmed orders, and yet to be confirmed ones?

TN486

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:37 am

All of the above reminds me about the confused communications I have with my son (this) and (next). We have worked out that Dad must say this or next when talking about the future, as apart from just "next". It may also help with the entries I have in my "electronic calendar"!! I humbly point out the fact Dad was born in 1947 and Son in 1974, so those with a fetish for numbers could come to a conclusion!!
What is the definition of a "reliable (or very) reliable source"? In this day and age, I am sure there is not such an animal.. I now quote "reliable source" only when it is fact, not maybe. On translation, I use Google to translate into English, and this is done with an element of peril.

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:14 am

'She felt the cabin floor drop': Qantas crew injured after autopilot cut out
https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4z4c3.html
"A Qantas flight attendant broke her leg and another suffered numerous injuries when their aircraft's autopilot unexpectedly disengaged as it descended into Canberra Airport last year. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau's investigation into the incident has found a modification made to the Boeing 737-8 meant the pilot's attempt to stop the aircraft going too fast inadvertently triggered an abrupt change in speed and angle."

Times like this I miss Ben Sandilands at Plane Talking, as grump as he was he would have been assiduously reporting this like a dog with a bone right from the start!

EK413

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:37 am

qf2220 wrote:
Does anyone have a calendar of delivery slots for the 789 frames that QF has? Both fully confirmed orders, and yet to be confirmed ones?

•5th frame VHZNE 12th July 2018
•6th frame VHZNF 24th August 2018
•7th frame VHZNG 13th November 2018
•8th frame VHZNH 26th November 2018

EK413

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 am

qf002 wrote:
Whatsaptudo wrote:

Whatsaptudo wrote:

AsiaTravel wrote:

Remember, they gave delayed the retirement if three 747's for one year. This could free up 787's for new routes.

QF744ER

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:55 am

Completely hypothetically speaking and just thinking outside the box, everyone seems to be assuming that it would be Dreamliners operating the mentioned/proposed PER-CDG flight, why could it not be a 744ER? Could QF possibly free-up some ER's with the conversion of some US flights ex BNE to Dreamliners?

Also as I mentioned on another thread earlier in the week QF9 PER-LHR on the B789 is payload restricted west-bound and approx 40 seats will requiring blocking.

SYDSpotter

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 am

QF744ER wrote:
Completely hypothetically speaking and just thinking outside the box, everyone seems to be assuming that it would be Dreamliners operating the mentioned/proposed PER-CDG flight, why could it not be a 744ER? Could QF possibly free-up some ER's with the conversion of some US flights ex BNE to Dreamliners?

Also as I mentioned on another thread earlier in the week QF9 PER-LHR on the B789 is payload restricted west-bound and approx 40 seats will requiring blocking.

The 744ER could operate it, but it would do so with a payload hit in addition to significantly higher operating costs vs a 787-9.It's also going to be a lot harder to fill than a 787.

qf2220

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 am

EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

EK413

What about the next 8? Theyre not yet locked in i know...

getluv

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 am

QF744ER wrote:

At most, I've seen 20 seats blocked off in Y for the inaugural service. However, on most days there's no seats blocked off in Y on the westbound leg. I think the seat blocking rumour was always just a rumour.

EK413

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 am

qf2220 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

EK413

What about the next 8? Theyre not yet locked in i know...

The allocations go as far as frame 820 then it’s unknown.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos