Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2018

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pm

VA looking at different 737MAX variants that will form its current order of 40 aircraft, first delivery end of 2019

https://twitter.com/AusAviation/status/ ... 0731186177

Crackshot

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm

EK413 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

Are you suggesting that JQ will use the 321LR to SGN ? That would be really pushing the envelope for it and would be a lot of extra expense for a relatively small increase in capacity and most likely a decrease in cargo capacity.. The split daily service was probably more than enough capacity for start up, remembering VN do daily to both SYD and MEL as has been mentioned. Plus the countless connections that can be made through other carriers to Vietnam.

I believe he’s referring to JQ plans to use the 321LR on its DPS routes, therefore freeing up 788s for hypothetical expansion for Vietnamese routes.

Correct. With 11 frames confident the A321LR will free up enough frames to go daily from both ports.

EK413

Yeah, I’m inclined to think that JQ will remain conservative with their free frames and strengthen existing 788 frequencies rather then expand. Especially since they’ve announced they’ll keep the 788 on some DPS frequencies.

jupiter2

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:38 am

EK413 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:

Are you suggesting that JQ will use the 321LR to SGN ? That would be really pushing the envelope for it and would be a lot of extra expense for a relatively small increase in capacity and most likely a decrease in cargo capacity.. The split daily service was probably more than enough capacity for start up, remembering VN do daily to both SYD and MEL as has been mentioned. Plus the countless connections that can be made through other carriers to Vietnam.

I believe he’s referring to JQ plans to use the 321LR on its DPS routes, therefore freeing up 788s for hypothetical expansion for Vietnamese routes.

Correct. With 11 frames confident the A321LR will free up enough frames to go daily from both ports.

EK413

Fair enough, but they have said they aren't taking the 787s off DPS, at least entirely. I can see the 321LRs going to secondary Japanese and Chinese cities from CNS.

tullamarine

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 am

qf789 wrote:
VA looking at different 737MAX variants that will form its current order of 40 aircraft, first delivery end of 2019

This was always a big chance. The MAX-10 will be ideal for VA on its trans-continental services if it wants to add better J class seats in its narrowbodies. I doubt the MAX7 will find a space at VA unless its trip costs are shown to be significantly less than the MAX8.

Qantas16

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:07 am

qf789 wrote:
VA's Rod Sharp says VA plans to launch BNE-ASP

https://twitter.com/routesonline/status ... 8141946880

BNE has missed out on services to AYQ and ASP in the past (except for 2x week ASP on QF 717) which is surprising given they are the biggest domestic port ex-DRW.

CNS, SYD and MEL all have daily (+) services to ASP and at least 4x week to AYQ so would think BNE could definitely sustain a few extra ASP flights.

Boof

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:22 am

Boof wrote:
Over the summer it's been a mixture of 717's and 737's to both MEL & SYD, where it appears to be standardising the 717 on the SYD route and the 737 on the MEL route.

TasFlyer wrote:
Finally, from 25 March 2018, the HBA-SYD reverts back to all 717 operation, with the exception of a new weekly 73H service on Sunday bringing the frequency on this route up to 14 per week. From the same date, the roughly 5 daily 717s on HBA-MEL get replaced with roughly 4 daily 73Hs.

DeltaB717 wrote:
Effective this coming weekend, there will be no more B717s scheduled over MEL at all - not to HBA, not to CBR, not to BNE and not to SYD. The only B717 flying out of HBA will be to SYD. Whether HBA will end up with more B717s again in the future we don't yet know, as for a time there will be 1-2 B717s out for mx at any one time.

All seems to line up nicely!

TasFlyer wrote:
In terms of estimating demand, there are a few indications the TT HBA-OOL is not doing badly:

1) The available fare prices for HBA-OOL are well above the base level throughout April.
2) VA has added several additional HBA-BNE flights over March and April due to demand.
3) TT has added several additional HBA-MEL flights over March and April due to demand.
4) Estimates from BITRE figures for December 2017 show that together JQ's HBA-ADL and TT's HBA-OOL averaged about 80% load factor.This calculation can't be split due to these routes being non-competitive; but, if say the ADL was doing better at 85%, then the OOL would still be at 75%. The January 2018 figures should be published in a week or so.

VA and TT are doing something seriously wrong if they aren't adding services to SEQ in March and April from everywhere given that it's Easter, School Holidays, and the Comm Games are on the Gold Coast.

Despite all this happening in the current and coming months, you cannot expect to drive demand on to a route if people can't buy a ticket and right now you can't buy one 6 weeks out on the HBA-OOL route. Forward bookings won't magically appear if they update the schedule in the next week, it's two holiday markets, not spur of the moment business travel that is keeping bums on seats on the route. I hope it's retained but I can't see it happening.

qf2220

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:37 am

qf789 wrote:
A dedicated thread has been set up for MEL-PER-LHR

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1389307

All these dedicated threads reducing the post count from the main one....!

aerokiwi

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:48 am

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

This was always a big chance. The MAX-10 will be ideal for VA on its trans-continental services if it wants to add better J class seats in its narrowbodies. I doubt the MAX7 will find a space at VA unless its trip costs are shown to be significantly less than the MAX8.

I wonder if the MAX10 is more likely at VA than QF given its more prolific use of front and rear door boarding. Turnaround times can be tight and I'm assuming this speeds things up. Of course inclement weather can kibosh that.

Then there's the MAX9 could VA standardise on that from the current -800 fleet? Or is runway and transcon performance so poor that you may as well stick with the MAX8 and leapfrog to the 10?

Qantas16

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 am

qf789 wrote:
VA's Rod Sharp says VA plans to launch BNE-ASP

https://twitter.com/routesonline/status ... 8141946880

Official:
Air traffic at Brisbane Airport will increase again in June as Virgin Australia will start services between Brisbane and Alice Springs.
Speaking from the Routes Asia 2018 conference in Brisbane, Virgin Australia Airlines group executive Rob Sharp announced the airline would operate twice-weekly return services from June 19.
The service would be operated on Tuesdays and Thursdays under an agreement with Alliance Airlines.

Source: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4z51z.html

What's interesting is ex-BNE how heavily VA relies on Alliance... PQQ, ISA, GLT, ROK, BDB, EMD and now ASP all spring to mind and there is probably more...

JBusworth

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:21 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Whilst threads such as PER-LHR and QF Fleet do reduce post count here on the main Aussie thread, it allows for long running topics of conversation to be clustered together in one post and not separated by other more minor things and the monthly spilt.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:30 am

Honestly, who cares about 'post count' numbers? Who gives a toss about that little number below your photo icon? Quality not quantity, lads.

tullamarine

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:54 am

aerokiwi wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I wonder if the MAX10 is more likely at VA than QF given its more prolific use of front and rear door boarding. Turnaround times can be tight and I'm assuming this speeds things up. Of course inclement weather can kibosh that.

Then there's the MAX9 could VA standardise on that from the current -800 fleet? Or is runway and transcon performance so poor that you may as well stick with the MAX8 and leapfrog to the 10?

MAX9 is a bit of an orphan. MAX10 is likely to have much better performance as well as resale value (lease cost). No one has ordered a MAX9 since MAX10 was announced.

It's hard to say if MAX10 could find a place at QF. Personally, I believe that the A321NEO is more likely for QF. Both QF and VA need to consider the MAX10/A321. Currently their largest narrowbody is the 738 and there is a big step up from there to the A332. Of course, the NMA may eventually fill the gap but realistically that is still 8 years away at least. The MAX10 and A321NEO can use existing narrowbody gates. There is no guarantee that the NMA will be able to therefore severely limiting how many can be put through major hubs at a time.

TasFlyer

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 am

Boof wrote:

Despite all this happening in the current and coming months, you cannot expect to drive demand on to a route if people can't buy a ticket and right now you can't buy one 6 weeks out on the HBA-OOL route. Forward bookings won't magically appear if they update the schedule in the next week, it's two holiday markets, not spur of the moment business travel that is keeping bums on seats on the route. I hope it's retained but I can't see it happening.

I agree. Interestingly, TT have updated their schedules today, with changed timings on HBA-MEL and nine services per week. Still nothing for HBA-OOL, so it's safe to say that route is gone for now; but, hopefully it will return after the winter low season.

Crackshot

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:42 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Crackshot wrote:

EK413

Fair enough, but they have said they aren't taking the 787s off DPS, at least entirely. I can see the 321LRs going to secondary Japanese and Chinese cities from CNS.

BNE will definitely go 321LR IMO. Can't really say for MEL or SYD, I think MEL will keep the 788 but think SYD is a toss-up.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:07 pm

JBusworth wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Whilst threads such as PER-LHR and QF Fleet do reduce post count here on the main Aussie thread, it allows for long running topics of conversation to be clustered together in one post and not separated by other more minor things and the monthly spilt.

From time to time new topics that generate a lot of interest will be started that are initially discussed in this thread. This is not something exclusive to the Australian thread but also happens in other country/state threads along with production and order threads along with many other threads. The Qantas Fleet Thread was started as I had received requests from users for such a thread. The PER-LHR thread was started as a stand alone topic for a number of reasons. Firstly its the first non-stop flight between Australia and Europe along with being the longest 787 flight and there has been a lot of interest about this route among the wider a.net community. I primarily started the thread early as I wanted to include all the details so those commenting in the thread had a understanding on the overall preparation of the flight which included the flight planning which started in 2015, the new menus, the terminal upgrade at PER etc. By adding all this information I wanted to provide some context and I was hoping the negativity we have seen on previous PER-LHR threads from the general a.net community would not be as great, lets face it many not familiar to Australian Aviation wrote this route off when it was announced. Having said that I would also like to acknowledge all the users that contribute to this thread have embraced this route in one way or another. We have spent the good part of the past 2 years discussing how PER-LHR would work and now we are only days away from first flight, so lets enjoy the moment.

CraigAnderson

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 pm

qf789 wrote:
We have spent the good part of the past 2 years discussing how PER-LHR would work and now we are only days away from first flight, so lets enjoy the moment.

Bravo, well said!

EK413

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
qf789 wrote:
We have spent the good part of the past 2 years discussing how PER-LHR would work and now we are only days away from first flight, so lets enjoy the moment.

Bravo, well said!

Totally agree! Very well said!

Other news been posted in the dedicated QF Thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382753

-OQF will be the first A380 ferried to DXB on the 24th of March SYD-DXB for heavy mx and repaint in 2016 livery.

EK413

TN486

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 pm

^^Yes QF 789, totally agree with your comments, professionalism, work ethic, and passion. Wish I could be on the first PER-LON flight, still, that's life. cheers

undertheradar

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
Honestly, who cares about 'post count' numbers? Who gives a toss about that little number below your photo icon? Quality not quantity, lads.

SPOT ON! Probably the same 'types' who measure their ' self worth' by the amount of 'friends'/'followers'/'likes' on their social platforms :lol: Personally I find the specific topic threads handy. Now back to regular programming :D

qf2220

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:25 am

JBusworth wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Dont get m wrong I dont really care either - but 1000 posts in the January thread showed just how much of a little sub community there is in the Australian thread within the broader board.

qf2220

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:27 am

qf789 wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

From time to time new topics that generate a lot of interest will be started that are initially discussed in this thread. This is not something exclusive to the Australian thread but also happens in other country/state threads along with production and order threads along with many other threads. The Qantas Fleet Thread was started as I had received requests from users for such a thread. The PER-LHR thread was started as a stand alone topic for a number of reasons. Firstly its the first non-stop flight between Australia and Europe along with being the longest 787 flight and there has been a lot of interest about this route among the wider a.net community. I primarily started the thread early as I wanted to include all the details so those commenting in the thread had a understanding on the overall preparation of the flight which included the flight planning which started in 2015, the new menus, the terminal upgrade at PER etc. By adding all this information I wanted to provide some context and I was hoping the negativity we have seen on previous PER-LHR threads from the general a.net community would not be as great, lets face it many not familiar to Australian Aviation wrote this route off when it was announced. Having said that I would also like to acknowledge all the users that contribute to this thread have embraced this route in one way or another. We have spent the good part of the past 2 years discussing how PER-LHR would work and now we are only days away from first flight, so lets enjoy the moment.

Sorry, this is bigger than i had thought would happen after my throwaway comment. I have no issue with separate threads for significant items......

EK413

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 am

I’ve been a.net member for the past 15 years and I must say I’ve never seen a dedicated moderator like qf789. Take my hat off to his work and commitment to keep this awesome website alive with latest news and updates. The personal time dedicated putting together discussion threads especially the latest QF PER-LHR thread. qf789 has researched, compiled the information and yet there are so many individuals busy bagging it.
So once again big thank you to qf789 for your hard work and time.

EK413

redroo

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:32 am

qf789 wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Hear hear.

I do find the comments outside the aussie community interesting.

Living in Perth not a day has gone by where the topic of non stop to London does not come up. There was even a lengthy discussion around a bbq on Saturday too.

The overwhelming response is positive. When the flight time is mentionded all the locals just shrug their shoulders and say they’d rather just get there than waste time in airport.

Can’t wait to try it out though I dare say I will be one of the last. No plans to go north for a while.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:46 am

EK413 wrote:
I’ve been a.net member for the past 15 years and I must say I’ve never seen a dedicated moderator like qf789. Take my hat off to his work and commitment to keep this awesome website alive with latest news and updates. The personal time dedicated putting together discussion threads especially the latest QF PER-LHR thread. qf789 has researched, compiled the information and yet there are so many individuals busy bagging it.
So once again big thank you to qf789 for your hard work and time.

EK413

Thank you EK413. Comments such as this are appreciated. You are right, some of the comments from users which are highly negative towards QF and the launch of PER-LHR is overkill.

For PER based a.netters there will be a 20 page liftout in tomorrow's West on PER-LHR

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 am

A measles alert has been issued for passengers onboard QF44 DPS-SYD arriving SYD 10th of March and QF415 SYD-MEL on the same day

http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... 2a4ca8ffb0

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:24 am

Flightglobal interview with JQ CEO Gareth Evans

Bulk of A321's will be used domestically
Combination of 788's/A321's on DPS routes from MEL & SYD with A321's doing back of the clock flying

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ar-446854/

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am

Perth travellers told to check their itineraries to ensure they end up at the right terminal to avoid confusion

https://thewest.com.au/news/travel/pert ... 4721428001

a36001

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:07 pm

TasFlyer wrote:
Boof wrote:
Tigerair by the looks of it have very quietly dropped the HBA-OOL route from the end of April 2018. There is no mention of it happening, and nothing has been released by either HBA or TT but you can't book flights after the end of April. Wasn't flagged as a seasonal service: http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... t-flights/

I'm not surprised, one holiday market to another. When JQ tried it a few years ago they shifted the flights to BNE after about 6 months. Coincidentally about the same time frame that this service has lasted.

That's not entirely accurate:

The TT schedules displayed from 1 May onwards represent an old schedule and may yet change.
The comments from TT at the HBA-OOL launch were that they had committed to the end of April, and would then review.
Note also TT recently suspended BNE-PPP and BNE-PER due to insufficient aircraft.
The JQ HBA-OOL was launched in December 2010 and replaced with HBA-BNE in October 2013.
Having just had a state election in Tasmania, it wouldn't be surprising if a deal is struck to keep the HBA-OOL on at least twice per week over winter, before ramping back up to four per week over summer.

The other quiet news about HBA is QF replacing 717s on HBA-MEL with 73Hs from the end of March. This has not been announced anywhere, despite representing a significant increase in seats. When QF replaced the 717s on HBA-SYD with 73Hs in December last year there was again no announcement. The schedules post October 2018 revert to the old 717 schedule, so maybe this is only temporary until the 717 issues are sorted out, or perhaps these schedules have not yet been updated???

If the 717 is no longer flying MEL>HBA or SYD>HBA until October what is happening to the Hobart based Cabin Crew and Pilots that are based there? Those crew (at least I know for certain cabin crew are not) are not qualified to operate 737's.

RyanairGuru

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:18 pm

a36001 wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:
Boof wrote:
Tigerair by the looks of it have very quietly dropped the HBA-OOL route from the end of April 2018. There is no mention of it happening, and nothing has been released by either HBA or TT but you can't book flights after the end of April. Wasn't flagged as a seasonal service: http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... t-flights/

I'm not surprised, one holiday market to another. When JQ tried it a few years ago they shifted the flights to BNE after about 6 months. Coincidentally about the same time frame that this service has lasted.

The TT schedules displayed from 1 May onwards represent an old schedule and may yet change.
The comments from TT at the HBA-OOL launch were that they had committed to the end of April, and would then review.
Note also TT recently suspended BNE-PPP and BNE-PER due to insufficient aircraft.
The JQ HBA-OOL was launched in December 2010 and replaced with HBA-BNE in October 2013.
Having just had a state election in Tasmania, it wouldn't be surprising if a deal is struck to keep the HBA-OOL on at least twice per week over winter, before ramping back up to four per week over summer.

The other quiet news about HBA is QF replacing 717s on HBA-MEL with 73Hs from the end of March. This has not been announced anywhere, despite representing a significant increase in seats. When QF replaced the 717s on HBA-SYD with 73Hs in December last year there was again no announcement. The schedules post October 2018 revert to the old 717 schedule, so maybe this is only temporary until the 717 issues are sorted out, or perhaps these schedules have not yet been updated???

If the 717 is no longer flying MEL>HBA or SYD>HBA until October what is happening to the Hobart based Cabin Crew and Pilots that are based there? Those crew (at least I know for certain cabin crew are not) are not qualified to operate 737's.

Definitely not 737 qualified as they are employees of a totally different airline (Cobham). HBA is a relatively small base, quite a bit smaller than CBR, and the crew could be relatively easily routed HBA-SYD-CBR-xxx to crew flights on the mainland if they decide to keep the base open. From a cost perspective it would probably make more sense to close the HBA base and redeploy the crew to CBR, and operate CBR-SYD-HBA as a turnaround.

QF744ER

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Not sure if this has been posted but effective 17th April, Etihad will downgrade PER services back to a A332 from the current B789.

DeltaB717

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 pm

a36001 wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:
Boof wrote:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the B717s are being withdrawn from MEL but not from HBA. They will no longer operate MEL-CBR, MEL-HBA, MEL-SYD or MEL-BNE (as of this coming weekend), but will return to operating SYD-HBA (again, from this coming weekend). That will probably mean a reduction in the number of crew based in HBA, but their rostering may be reworked in some way to make up for the loss of the MEL route. Or, they may be offered relocation to another base, perhaps. I also mentioned that I expect further (re)deployment of the B717 fleet once they're through the maintenance period that currently has 2 at a time in the hangar in CBR. Perhaps that's a return to the MEL flying, perhaps it will be other things, I don't know, but I do know there are currently only 9-10 lines of 2-class B717 flying in the schedule.

TasFlyer

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:44 pm

qf789 wrote:
Flightglobal interview with JQ CEO Gareth Evans

Bulk of A321's will be used domestically
Combination of 788's/A321's on DPS routes from MEL & SYD with A321's doing back of the clock flying

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ar-446854/

Just expanding on this point, the article mentions:

But Evans says that the main focus for the A321neos will be on the domestic network, where they will kick off a replacement programme for its fleet of 52 baseline A320s and eight A321s.

“Primarily they are going to be a domestic aircraft, so this is about a generational change in technology,” he adds.

Given most of the domestic sectors being operated by JQ's 321s are only an hour or two in length (e.g MEL-SYD, MEL-OOL, MEL-HBA are the main frequencies), the introduction of the 321LR could mean using an LR aircraft on lots of short sectors, or using the new 321LR on different routes to the existing 321s, or both.

TasFlyer

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:55 pm

DeltaB717 wrote:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the B717s are being withdrawn from MEL but not from HBA. They will no longer operate MEL-CBR, MEL-HBA, MEL-SYD or MEL-BNE (as of this coming weekend), but will return to operating SYD-HBA (again, from this coming weekend). That will probably mean a reduction in the number of crew based in HBA, but their rostering may be reworked in some way to make up for the loss of the MEL route. Or, they may be offered relocation to another base, perhaps. I also mentioned that I expect further (re)deployment of the B717 fleet once they're through the maintenance period that currently has 2 at a time in the hangar in CBR. Perhaps that's a return to the MEL flying, perhaps it will be other things, I don't know, but I do know there are currently only 9-10 lines of 2-class B717 flying in the schedule.

With the only HBA flying being two HBA-SYD services (departing at 0630 and 1245), there must surely be a reduction in crew at the HBA base. There would appear to be limited opportunity to rework the roster without significant dead-heading.

Do you have any idea when the MX is due to be complete? The QF timetable is showing a return to 717s at MEL from the commencement of the northern winter period; but, this could just be representing placeholder schedules of course.

eamondzhang

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 am

TasFlyer wrote:

With the only HBA flying being two HBA-SYD services (departing at 0630 and 1245), there must surely be a reduction in crew at the HBA base. There would appear to be limited opportunity to rework the roster without significant dead-heading.

Do you have any idea when the MX is due to be complete? The QF timetable is showing a return to 717s at MEL from the commencement of the northern winter period; but, this could just be representing placeholder schedules of course.

They could also let the HBA base crew do flyings like HBA-SYD-MCY/OOL-SYD-HBA to better utilise the crew if the contracts allow Cobham to do so.

Michael

DeltaB717

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:39 am

TasFlyer wrote:
DeltaB717 wrote:

Somewhere in the second half of last year, when QF announced the 11th and 12th B717s would be reconfigured for the 2-class operations, they mentioned that B717 flying would increase on BNE-ADL/CNS, and that the 12th aircraft would initially be used to cover planned heavy maintenance. Since then, they've also contracted Alliance to operate BNE-ISA which I had thought was to switch back to B717s around April or May (though that no longer seems to be the case, going by the online schedules). The repaints on the B717s are also supposed to be starting in July, though I certainly hope that will start with NXK, NXL & NXM (which all have paint peeling!) before any of the 2-class aircraft!

The online schedules show B717s on MEL-HBA from 28 October and MEL-CBR from 29 October. Looking at many other routes for the same couple of weeks, the NW2018-19 schedule looks very much like the NW2017-18 schedule (they show none of the recent changes to CBR, for example, nor some of the changes for CNS and ADL) - given that, and the fact that the online schedules for this weekend onwards were wildly inaccurate until as late as mid-February, I wouldn't put too much faith in the online schedules this far out.

vhebb

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:53 am

Any schedules for the NW period 28th October onwards would not have been updated yet

Flyingsottsman

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:20 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
a36001 wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

Does that mean there will be no more 717s at Melbourne at all?

Flyingsottsman

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:27 am

With the new QF Melbourne-Perth- Heathrow starting, I wonder if successful for Qantas, could that encourage British Airways to make a comeback to Perth using their 787s to? I am sure they would be watching Qantas to see how this route will preform and considering there is a large English diaspora living in Perth.

ben175

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
With the new QF Melbourne-Perth- Heathrow starting, I wonder if successful for Qantas, could that encourage British Airways to make a comeback to Perth using their 787s to? I am sure they would be watching Qantas to see how this route will preform and considering there is a large English diaspora living in Perth.

I think the only way this would happen is if QF drop PER-LHR when they launch SYD/MEL-LHR.

waoz1

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 am

QF744ER wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted but effective 17th April, Etihad will downgrade PER services back to a A332 from the current B789.

Been confirmed the downgrade... not surprised with Qatar A380 coming in to play.
As of 16th April

789 to an A332...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/etihad-downgra ... irbus-a330

qf2220

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:35 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:

I would say no. PER-LHR is perhaps worth more to QF than LHR-PER is to BA. Ie, BA has other things it would like to do with its 789s.

Also the PER-LHR route is a learning route for SYD/MEL-LHR, which QF are heavily interested in. BA is not as interested in ULH flying as it doesnt need to.

Thai77w

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 am

I flew MCY-MEL on a 717 in Jan. is that also getting flicked?

Thai77w

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:18 am

Also heard that TT are transferring 2 A320 to VA. VNJ and Q.

Strange if true.

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am

ben175 wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:

I think the only way this would happen is if QF drop PER-LHR when they launch SYD/MEL-LHR.

Even when QF launch SYD/MEL-LHR, QF will keep PER-LHR. QF through their own research have said the PER-LHR flight will add $770 million to the WA economy over the next 10 years.

Obzerva

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 am

qf789 wrote:
ben175 wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:

Even when QF launch SYD/MEL-LHR, QF will keep PER-LHR. QF through their own research have said the PER-LHR flight will add $770 million to the WA economy over the next 10 years.

I’m sceptical PER-LHR direct can be maintained long term should an east coast to LHR be successfully launched.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:35 am

qf789 wrote:
QF through their own research have said the PER-LHR flight will add $770 million to the WA economy over the next 10 years.

Fingers crossed that it lasts that long, with potential SYD / MEL - LHR non-stop flights within that period eroding the value of a dedicated PER flight.

Cheers,

C.

ben175

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:48 am

waoz1 wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

Been confirmed the downgrade... not surprised with Qatar A380 coming in to play.
As of 16th April

789 to an A332...

https://www.ausbt.com.au/etihad-downgra ... irbus-a330

What a shame! And there was that rumour floating around a few months ago that they were planning on upgrading to a 77W...

qf789
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:50 am

planemanofnz wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF through their own research have said the PER-LHR flight will add $770 million to the WA economy over the next 10 years.

Fingers crossed that it lasts that long, with potential SYD / MEL - LHR non-stop flights within that period eroding the value of a dedicated PER flight.

Cheers,

C.

Alan Joyce has said the airlines studies show a lot of business travellers, particurlarly those in the resource sector stop in Perth on their way to the UK.

The above comment is published in todays commemorative liftout in today's West Australian which is currently in a hardprint edition only.

Furthermore even if SYD-LHR starts in 2022, MEL-LHR won't. 3 frames would be required to start SYD-LHR and another 3 to start SYD-JFK and both these routes would take precedent over MEL-LHR, so in actual fact MEL-LHR may start in 2023-24 at the earliest at which PER-LHR should be able to stand on its own rights.

planemanofnz

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 pm

qf789 wrote:
MEL-LHR may start in 2023-24 at the earliest at which PER-LHR should be able to stand on its own rights.

Ah, okay - well, I hope so - as the DXB / SIN stop-over switch has chosen, nothing is ever certain in this space. Interesting times.

Cheers,

C.

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:

Not sure BA's 787-9s can make the distance, didn't QF have a relatively low density config deliberately designed to reduce weight and ensure the QF 787-9 could do PER-LHR? BA's was not so designed, and also QF has been doing all that work studying weather patterns over the last few years, this gives them a pretty good advantage over BA too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos