Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qantas16

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - March 2018

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:22 am

oskarclare wrote:
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/vietjet-inks-deal-to-open-direct-flights-between-hcm-city-brisbane/127982.vnp

Vietjet air to start SGN-BNE from 2019 after a deal was signed to start direct flights to BNE. This is a good start as we can expect many new airlines and routes over the next few days with Routes Asia.

8+ hours in a all-Y 230seat A321Neo? No thanks. I'll believe this one when I see it!

HM7

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:02 am

Qantas16 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/vietjet-inks-deal-to-open-direct-flights-between-hcm-city-brisbane/127982.vnp

Vietjet air to start SGN-BNE from 2019 after a deal was signed to start direct flights to BNE. This is a good start as we can expect many new airlines and routes over the next few days with Routes Asia.

8+ hours in a all-Y 230seat A321Neo? No thanks. I'll believe this one when I see it!

I don’t think 18 hours in a 9 abreast QF dreamliner is any better.

RyanairGuru

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 am

HM7 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Other than 4 inches more legroom.

The 787 trolling is getting old IMHO.

HM7

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:19 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
HM7 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:

Other than 4 inches more legroom.

The 787 trolling is getting old IMHO.

It’s the seat width that’s the issue

TasFlyer

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:30 am

Boof wrote:
Tigerair by the looks of it have very quietly dropped the HBA-OOL route from the end of April 2018. There is no mention of it happening, and nothing has been released by either HBA or TT but you can't book flights after the end of April. Wasn't flagged as a seasonal service: http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... t-flights/

I'm not surprised, one holiday market to another. When JQ tried it a few years ago they shifted the flights to BNE after about 6 months. Coincidentally about the same time frame that this service has lasted.

That's not entirely accurate:

The TT schedules displayed from 1 May onwards represent an old schedule and may yet change.
The comments from TT at the HBA-OOL launch were that they had committed to the end of April, and would then review.
Note also TT recently suspended BNE-PPP and BNE-PER due to insufficient aircraft.
The JQ HBA-OOL was launched in December 2010 and replaced with HBA-BNE in October 2013.
Having just had a state election in Tasmania, it wouldn't be surprising if a deal is struck to keep the HBA-OOL on at least twice per week over winter, before ramping back up to four per week over summer.

The other quiet news about HBA is QF replacing 717s on HBA-MEL with 73Hs from the end of March. This has not been announced anywhere, despite representing a significant increase in seats. When QF replaced the 717s on HBA-SYD with 73Hs in December last year there was again no announcement. The schedules post October 2018 revert to the old 717 schedule, so maybe this is only temporary until the 717 issues are sorted out, or perhaps these schedules have not yet been updated???

Qantas16

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:15 am

Qantas16 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Following up to this - VietJet do not have the aircraft to operate a BNE-SGN service direct. Per Wikipedia (I know) they have the A321neo and 737Max 200 on order... neither of which could make BNE-SGN direct (particularly not in an all-Y layout)... so this announcement is basically worthless unless they plan to acquire larger aircraft or operate the route as a 1-stop... maybe SGN-CGK/DPS-BNE? Honestly I don't know and would seem very unlikely.

Qantas16

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:16 am

TasFlyer wrote:

The TT schedules displayed from 1 May onwards represent an old schedule and may yet change.
The comments from TT at the HBA-OOL launch were that they had committed to the end of April, and would then review.
Note also TT recently suspended BNE-PPP and BNE-PER due to insufficient aircraft.
The JQ HBA-OOL was launched in December 2010 and replaced with HBA-BNE in October 2013.
Having just had a state election in Tasmania, it wouldn't be surprising if a deal is struck to keep the HBA-OOL on at least twice per week over winter, before ramping back up to four per week over summer.

How is VA/TT so incapable of running a successful airline? Given VA has a surplus of aircraft (or has in the previous few years) and TT needs aircraft and are transitioning to 737s anyway... how can TT be left in a position where they don't have enough aircraft?!?

moa999

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 am

TasFlyer wrote:

How many bookings have they lost only 45days out though

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:52 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Following up to this - VietJet do not have the aircraft to operate a BNE-SGN service direct. Per Wikipedia (I know) they have the A321neo and 737Max 200 on order... neither of which could make BNE-SGN direct (particularly not in an all-Y layout)... so this announcement is basically worthless unless they plan to acquire larger aircraft or operate the route as a 1-stop... maybe SGN-CGK/DPS-BNE? Honestly I don't know and would seem very unlikely.

There was some talk last year that VietJet acquiring widebodies, either A350's or 787's as early as 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1378607&p=19953547&hilit=VIETJET#p19953547

Agree that neither the A321neo or 737MAX200 would be suitable. There's always the chance some of those A321neo's will be converted into A321neoLR's so it could still be possible, BNE-SGN is 3541nm.

TN486

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 am

^^ Could it be a pilot shortage with TT, or maybe something to do with the transition from A320 to B737.

TN486

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:55 am

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-Au ... 03/4892003

Can anyone identify the aircraft in the left background of the photo and operator?

EK413

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 am

TN486 wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-Australia-Airlines-TAA/Airbus-A300B4-203/4892003

Can anyone identify the aircraft in the left background of the photo and operator?

JAL DC-8

EK413

Boof

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:38 am

TasFlyer wrote:

I've no doubt your right about the JQ tenure on the HBA-OOL route, I actually couldn't remember how long it was but it felt like 6 months! Thank you for pointing out the true time frame. What I can't believe, election funding or not, is that TT don't have the schedule loaded for May and it's Mid-March. How on earth do you expect to drive forward bookings on routes when they don't have it locked and loaded in the first place? No wonder pax get frustrated when TT changes its schedule.

I didn't know TT blamed a lack of aircraft for the BNE route cancelations. This article (https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4yzly.html) mentions "operations requirements, demand and market dynamics" which I took to mean they weren't getting backsides on seats.

TasFlyer wrote:
The other quiet news about HBA is QF replacing 717s on HBA-MEL with 73Hs from the end of March. This has not been announced anywhere, despite representing a significant increase in seats. When QF replaced the 717s on HBA-SYD with 73Hs in December last year there was again no announcement. The schedules post October 2018 revert to the old 717 schedule, so maybe this is only temporary until the 717 issues are sorted out, or perhaps these schedules have not yet been updated???

There is allegedly some trouble at Cobham. Can't attract or retain pilots for the 717's and dragging/dragged chain on new pay agreement, as such QF have little choice but to continue using the 737's in and out of HBA post the end of March. They aren't replacing all 717 services by the looks of it as the Cobham 717 base is still open and being recruited for (advert in Friday's Australian listed Hobart as one of many). Over the summer it's been a mixture of 717's and 737's to both MEL & SYD, where it appears to be standardising the 717 on the SYD route and the 737 on the MEL route.

Qantas16 wrote:
How is VA/TT so incapable of running a successful airline? Given VA has a surplus of aircraft (or has in the previous few years) and TT needs aircraft and are transitioning to 737s anyway... how can TT be left in a position where they don't have enough aircraft?!?

Does anyone know how many A320's have returned to the lessors for TT? The move to 737's was such a balls up by TT that I wouldn't be surprised if they stuffed up the timing of A320's going and 737's starting/moving from VA.

Hard to believe that VA and TT are being ran so badly but they are.

A350OZ

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 am

TN486 wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-Australia-Airlines-TAA/Airbus-A300B4-203/4892003

JAL Cargo DC-8. See here: https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com/Ai ... /i-TZ7fntN

TN486

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm

^^ Thanks to both of you. I picked it as a Douglas nose, but unsure of the livery. Thanks again. As an aside I was never a fan of the TN Camel Hump livery.

EK413

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Boof wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

I've no doubt your right about the JQ tenure on the HBA-OOL route, I actually couldn't remember how long it was but it felt like 6 months! Thank you for pointing out the true time frame. What I can't believe, election funding or not, is that TT don't have the schedule loaded for May and it's Mid-March. How on earth do you expect to drive forward bookings on routes when they don't have it locked and loaded in the first place? No wonder pax get frustrated when TT changes its schedule.

I didn't know TT blamed a lack of aircraft for the BNE route cancelations. This article (https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4yzly.html) mentions "operations requirements, demand and market dynamics" which I took to mean they weren't getting backsides on seats.

TasFlyer wrote:

There is allegedly some trouble at Cobham. Can't attract or retain pilots for the 717's and dragging/dragged chain on new pay agreement, as such QF have little choice but to continue using the 737's in and out of HBA post the end of March. They aren't replacing all 717 services by the looks of it as the Cobham 717 base is still open and being recruited for (advert in Friday's Australian listed Hobart as one of many). Over the summer it's been a mixture of 717's and 737's to both MEL & SYD, where it appears to be standardising the 717 on the SYD route and the 737 on the MEL route.

Qantas16 wrote:

Does anyone know how many A320's have returned to the lessors for TT? The move to 737's was such a balls up by TT that I wouldn't be surprised if they stuffed up the timing of A320's going and 737's starting/moving from VA.

Both SYD & MEL-HBA have been upgraded to B737’s. The QF1509/1500 overnight service continues to op B717 equipment whilst SYD is a B737 overnight service.

Disappointing how Cobham dragged the chain whilst the entire Group accepted a freeze and get on with it.

EK413

qf789
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm

BI53 BWN-MEL is returning to BWN

https://www.flightradar24.com/RBA53/10be3a73

Crackshot

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:58 pm

oskarclare wrote:

India, (along with Vietnam), has always struck me as a hole in BNE's Asia network - so that would be my next guess.

TasFlyer

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Boof wrote:

Yes, the Cobham HBA base is still open, but from December 2017 there has only been one crew's worth, down from two. This is interesting because I believe there is a government subsidised contract for two crew's worth of jobs. The advert for more jobs suggests the 717 will be staying; although, I reckon they'd be better off keeping the 73H on the first HBA-MEL, one 717 on the first HBA-SYD and using the second 717 to do an early HBA-CBR. Aren't there more 717s being converted to two-class?

Just to clarify QF's use of 73Hs to HBA over this period:

QF announced (months in advance) that 73Hs would replace 717s for three days per week (Thu, Fri, Sat) on one HBA-MEL and one HBA-SYD service over the peak summer season from mid-December until the end of March due to demand. This was an undersell, because there were addidtional 73H replacements scheduled on peak days, together with the 5 return HBA-BNE 73H seasonal services which was never announced this year.

Then, at short notice (only a week or two from memory), all HBA-SYD 717 services were replaced by 73H from 2 December 2017 until 24 March 2018. This meant a 73H overnighted in HBA daily except Saturday.

Finally, from 25 March 2018, the HBA-SYD reverts back to all 717 operation, with the exception of a new weekly 73H service on Sunday bringing the frequency on this route up to 14 per week. From the same date, the roughly 5 daily 717s on HBA-MEL get replaced with roughly 4 daily 73Hs.

Boof wrote:

There was an article in a local PPP newspaper where the local government complained about the cuts, and the TT response was that this was just a suspension due to lack of aircraft and the service would return when aircraft became available.

Boof wrote:
What I can't believe, election funding or not, is that TT don't have the schedule loaded for May and it's Mid-March. How on earth do you expect to drive forward bookings on routes when they don't have it locked and loaded in the first place? No wonder pax get frustrated when TT changes its schedule.

Yes, TT chop and change schedule timings at short notice.

In terms of estimating demand, there are a few indications the TT HBA-OOL is not doing badly:

1) The available fare prices for HBA-OOL are well above the base level throughout April.
2) VA has added several additional HBA-BNE flights over March and April due to demand.
3) TT has added several additional HBA-MEL flights over March and April due to demand.
4) Estimates from BITRE figures for December 2017 show that together JQ's HBA-ADL and TT's HBA-OOL averaged about 80% load factor.This calculation can't be split due to these routes being non-competitive; but, if say the ADL was doing better at 85%, then the OOL would still be at 75%. The January 2018 figures should be published in a week or so.

CraigAnderson

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:50 pm

"My journey on a record-breaking Qantas flight from Hong Kong to London", in which the QF-obsessed and -obsequious Geoffrey Thomas works 'Qantas' into the headline of an otherwise interesting story which is not a Qantas flight at all, but a special Boeing 777-200LR range-providing media flight from HKG to LHR.

https://thewest.com.au/news/qantas/my-j ... b88773331z

Seriously, does this guy ever stop shilling for Qantas?
Last edited by CraigAnderson on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 am

Craig. Thanks for sharing. That was a great article!

CraigAnderson

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 am

Yeah, once you have finished rolling your eyes back at the totally clickbait 'Qantas' heading and worked out that this was NOTHING to do with a Qantas flight and that he's talking of a flight done in 2005, and then get over some of GT's usually overly-effusive scatterbrained writing, the story behind it is really interesting. Loved the mention that "the aircraft was specially washed down to rid it of 150kg of dirt"!

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:46 am

If I read the article correctly, the flight broke the double Sunrise record which was previously held by QANTAS. So there is relevance to QANTAS.

As the article had quite a few historical tid bits, I enjoyed reading it. Sorry about the sarcasm. For

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:44 am

The following outlines routes under consideration in the future and planned upgrades from airlines serving PER

http://www.aviationwa.org.au/2018/03/14 ... -to-perth/

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:47 am

Flights to DPS did not operate on Saturday due to Nyepi Day (Day of Silence)

http://aegwaspotters.blogspot.com.au/20 ... th-to.html

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:37 am

JQ CEO says that 788's will still fly to DPS after the arrival of A321LR's, the A321LR's will replace some 788 services only. Also highly unlikely that JQ A321LR's will have a business class offering

https://twitter.com/AusAviation/status/ ... 4693727232

downdata

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:39 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
"My journey on a record-breaking Qantas flight from Hong Kong to London", in which the QF-obsessed and -obsequious Geoffrey Thomas works 'Qantas' into the headline of an otherwise interesting story which is not a Qantas flight at all, but a special Boeing 777-200LR range-providing media flight from HKG to LHR.

https://thewest.com.au/news/qantas/my-j ... b88773331z

Seriously, does this guy ever stop shilling for Qantas?

Is there any way to just delete that website from the interweb?

CraigAnderson

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:57 am

travelhound wrote:
If I read the article correctly, the flight broke the double Sunrise record which was previously held by QANTAS. So there is relevance to QANTAS.

Yes, but the heading says "My journey on a record-breaking Qantas flight from Hong Kong to London". It was not a record-breaking Qantas flight. It was a flight which broke a record (two records) held by Qantas. Big difference. And it's got nothing to do with Qantas apart from that and this being an obvious attempt to work Qantas into a story, especially a week before QF9 PER-LHR. It's just more of GT being a Qantas cheerleader and shamelessly writing Qantas rah-rah. Anyway, enough of my ranting! :)

CraigAnderson

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:00 am

qf789 wrote:
JQ CEO says that 788's will still fly to DPS after the arrival of A321LR's, the A321LR's will replace some 788 services only. Also highly unlikely that JQ A321LR's will have a business class offering

No business class on the A321LRs? This is quite a turnaround for JQ, maybe they are going to move more towards a real LCC model and just offer extra legroom, service, empty middle seat etc as their 'premium' product, but with the same seats from the first row to the last row.

JBusworth

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
qf789 wrote:

No business class on the A321LRs? This is quite a turnaround for JQ, maybe they are going to move more towards a real LCC model and just offer extra legroom, service, empty middle seat etc as their 'premium' product, but with the same seats from the first row to the last row.

Their current offering on the A321 has no business class seats, just Y.

Crackshot

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:37 am

qf789 wrote:

I'm guessing BNE goes 321LR. Be a shame if there were no JQ 788's operating out of there but given that BNE isn't exactly an international hub for JQ it makes sense.

Thai77w

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:24 am

Vietjet signed a deal to buy 8 A321LR (with the help of QLD govt) to operate routes such as the once announced to BNE.

They are expected to be far less dense than their current A321 and possibly have 4-8 J seats up front with a few rows of extra legroom behind.

Narrowbodies such as the A321LR are the way of the future.

How did people survive flying on 707s or even 757s?

This route will work and I wouldn’t be surprised to see VN jump in too.

IndianicWorld

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:47 am

Thai77w wrote:
Vietjet signed a deal to buy 8 A321LR (with the help of QLD govt) to operate routes such as the once announced to BNE.

They are expected to be far less dense than their current A321 and possibly have 4-8 J seats up front with a few rows of extra legroom behind.

Narrowbodies such as the A321LR are the way of the future.

How did people survive flying on 707s or even 757s?

I don’t think that VN will rush into BNE now that there will be competition.

BNE is a market that is unlikely to be as strong for Vietnam traffic than SYD and MEL for instance, as it is without the levels of O&D demand that those cities tend to see filling a significant level of capacity.

To put things in perspective, the more mature Australian markets for Vietnam routes (SYD and MEL) only recently had competition added again on Vietnam routes, with the entry of JQ to SGN. In addition to VN’s existing SGN services, they have also only recently added HAN from SYD and are looking to add services to that city from MEL in the next year or so.

planemanofnz

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:17 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
BNE is a market that is unlikely to be as strong for Vietnam traffic than SYD and MEL for instance, as it is without the levels of O&D demand that those cities tend to see filling a significant level of capacity. To put things in perspective, the more mature Australian markets for Vietnam routes (SYD and MEL) only recently had competition added again on Vietnam routes, with the entry of JQ to SGN. In addition to VN’s existing SGN services, they have also only recently added HAN from SYD and are looking to add services to that city from MEL in the next year or so.

If NZ can make AKL - SGN work, then someone should be able to make BNE - SGN work, at least seasonally.

Cheers,

C.

D7A330

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 am

Boof wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:

TasFlyer wrote:

Qantas16 wrote:

So far, two TT A320s have left the fleet (-VNJ and -VNQ if my memory serves correctly). One was end of lease, the other will end up with VARA which reading between the lines is what caused the biggest issue.

kriskim

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:38 am

Thai77w wrote:

With VJ singing a deal with the QLD Government, it tells me that VN was not as serious in launching the route compared to VJ, which really says something as VN is normally used as a political tool to enhance economic and business ties.

VN is not normally an airline that reacts to competition and will only launch routes that it sees as profitable. If BNE was as viable as you have hinted, than I would have expected the airline to have launched BNE by now, VN certainly has the aircraft, it choose to launch SYD-HAN over launching BNE-SGN for example and is looking at MEL-HAN too, keep in mind that JQ has also increased competition by launching daily flights to SGN last year.

Hopefully VJ will be able to stimulate the market, but an A32NEO1LR is definitely the right size aircraft for the mission.

EK413

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 am

kriskim wrote:
Thai77w wrote:

With VJ singing a deal with the QLD Government, it tells me that VN was not as serious in launching the route compared to VJ, which really says something as VN is normally used as a political tool to enhance economic and business ties.

VN is not normally an airline that reacts to competition and will only launch routes that it sees as profitable. If BNE was as viable as you have hinted, than I would have expected the airline to have launched BNE by now, VN certainly has the aircraft, it choose to launch SYD-HAN over launching BNE-SGN for example and is looking at MEL-HAN too, keep in mind that JQ has also increased competition by launching daily flights to SGN last year.

Hopefully VJ will be able to stimulate the market, but an A32NEO1LR is definitely the right size aircraft for the mission.

The JQ services are 4 flights a week SYD-SGN, 3 flights a week MEL-SGN. Wouldn’t call it daily to be honest nor a threat with VN services daily from SYD/MEL.

“The inaugural flight is scheduled to take off on May 10 from Melbourne, Jetstar said on Thursday, with Sydney-Ho Chi Minh City services set to commence on May 11. There will be four flights a week from Sydney, while Melbourne-Ho Chi Minh City will be served three times a week.”
http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/0 ... -from-may/

EK413

kriskim

Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:07 pm

EK413 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
Thai77w wrote:

The JQ services are 4 flights a week SYD-SGN, 3 flights a week MEL-SGN. Wouldn’t call it daily to be honest nor a threat with VN services daily from SYD/MEL.

“The inaugural flight is scheduled to take off on May 10 from Melbourne, Jetstar said on Thursday, with Sydney-Ho Chi Minh City services set to commence on May 11. There will be four flights a week from Sydney, while Melbourne-Ho Chi Minh City will be served three times a week.”

EK413

Meant daily from Australia to Vietnam, flights operate everyday (regardless exSYD or MEL). The number of non-stop flights between Australia and Vietnam increased by 50% when JQ launched, that’s significant capacity added to the market. However it does stimulate the market with low fares, but VN pax are also price sensitive.

Well VN is planning on flying the larger 787-10 on the Australian routes once they receive them.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:32 pm

A dedicated thread has been set up for MEL-PER-LHR

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1389307

EK413

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 pm

kriskim wrote:
EK413 wrote:
kriskim wrote:

EK413

Meant daily from Australia to Vietnam, flights operate everyday (regardless exSYD or MEL). The number of non-stop flights between Australia and Vietnam increased by 50% when JQ launched, that’s significant capacity added to the market. However it does stimulate the market with low fares, but VN pax are also price sensitive.

Well VN is planning on flying the larger 787-10 on the Australian routes once they receive them.

Curious why JQ split the flights between SYD/MEL. Is it due to lack of B788’s or demand? More than likely go daily from both SYD/MEL once the A321LR come online.

EK413

jupiter2

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:36 pm

EK413 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Curious why JQ split the flights between SYD/MEL. Is it due to lack of B788’s or demand? More than likely go daily from both SYD/MEL once the A321LR come online.

EK413

Are you suggesting that JQ will use the 321LR to SGN ? That would be really pushing the envelope for it and would be a lot of extra expense for a relatively small increase in capacity and most likely a decrease in cargo capacity.. The split daily service was probably more than enough capacity for start up, remembering VN do daily to both SYD and MEL as has been mentioned. Plus the countless connections that can be made through other carriers to Vietnam.

Crackshot

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
kriskim wrote:

EK413

Are you suggesting that JQ will use the 321LR to SGN ? That would be really pushing the envelope for it and would be a lot of extra expense for a relatively small increase in capacity and most likely a decrease in cargo capacity.. The split daily service was probably more than enough capacity for start up, remembering VN do daily to both SYD and MEL as has been mentioned. Plus the countless connections that can be made through other carriers to Vietnam.

I believe he’s referring to JQ plans to use the 321LR on its DPS routes, therefore freeing up 788s for hypothetical expansion for Vietnamese routes.

Goodbye

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm hoping the rumours about VJ do bear fruit! I travel to Vietnam twice a year from the Sunshine Coast, and not having to go via SIN, KUL, or SYD would be a godsend for me.

Crackshot

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Goodbye wrote:
I'm hoping the rumours about VJ do bear fruit! I travel to Vietnam twice a year from the Sunshine Coast, and not having to go via SIN, KUL, or SYD would be a godsend for me.

Comes direct from the horses mouth so I think it’s more then just a rumour, providing things go to plan.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Bookings from Australia account for roughly15% of Scoot's SIN-ATH flight and is expected at least 10% of bookings for Scoot's Berlin flight

https://blueswandaily.com/australia-con ... to-europe/

ArtV

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 pm

VJ execs were in Australia last year for meetings with airports - most focus was on BNE and MEL. I suspect BNE was the better deal (without VN on the route - although VN had previously discussed BNE as the next Australian expansion destination for them), but don't be surprised that MEL doesn't appear later when the appropriate aircraft are in their fleet.

EK413

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Crackshot wrote:
jupiter2 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

I believe he’s referring to JQ plans to use the 321LR on its DPS routes, therefore freeing up 788s for hypothetical expansion for Vietnamese routes.

Correct. With 11 frames confident the A321LR will free up enough frames to go daily from both ports.

EK413

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 pm

VA's Rod Sharp says VA plans to launch BNE-ASP

https://twitter.com/routesonline/status ... 8141946880

DeltaB717

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Effective this coming weekend, there will be no more B717s scheduled over MEL at all - not to HBA, not to CBR, not to BNE and not to SYD. The only B717 flying out of HBA will be to SYD. Whether HBA will end up with more B717s again in the future we don't yet know, as for a time there will be 1-2 B717s out for mx at any one time.

Crackshot

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:57 pm

qf789 wrote:
VA's Rod Sharp says VA plans to launch BNE-ASP

https://twitter.com/routesonline/status ... 8141946880

Surprised they didn’t already serve this one.