Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mercure1
Topic Author

Dubai runway to close for 6 weeks in 2019

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:57 pm

One of the two runways is set to close for 45 days in April and May 2019.

The southern runway at Dubai International Airport, which last year handled over 88 million passengers, is “nearing the end of its design life”.

The runway will close from 16 April to 30 May 2019 for resurfacing and replacement of ground lighting. The aim is “to boost safety, service and capacity levels”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 28701.html

Similar work was done on northern runway in 2014 during which time airlines trimmed flight schedules.

Now with DWC more mature, I wonder if airlines will take the opportunity to shift some flights and relieve themselves of ongoing capacity challenges at DXB?
Last edited by SQ22 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added 2019

BlatantEcho

Re: Dubai runway to close for 6-weeks

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 pm

In in Dubai today, been watching all the planes depart and arrived into DXB on FlightRadar.
It’s a crazy operation for two runways. Lots of planes have to hold or do some turns before arrival.

Going to be fun with just one runway for a bit :)
Love the airport though, and Emirates runs a pretty tight ship

xwb777

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:20 pm

RWY 30R-12L will be the one.

JAAlbert

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:11 pm

What material will the airport use to resurface its runway?

PerfectGriffin

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Not good. No wonder they only predict a 2% growth rate in passenger numbers this year.

BenflysDTW

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:54 pm

PerfectGriffin wrote:
Not good. No wonder they only predict a 2% growth rate in passenger numbers this year.

Having such high growth rates all the time is not sustainable.

ikolkyo

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 pm

They a year to prepare for this, maybe they can get some things moved over to DWC

Arion640

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 pm

I would of thought they could switch P2P FlyDubai to DWC for the time being.

stylo777

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:17 pm

The period also falls partly into the holy month of Ramadan (mid May to mid June this year). Therefore, traffic can be reduced without major impact I guess. As far as I remember, foreign carriers reduce frequecies anyways per schedule.
Nevertheless, DWC will be the buffer number 1 again.

EK413

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Wasn’t major runway works completed last year where both runways had been resurfaced & new lighting fitted?!? I remember very because it was on Discovery Channel too.

EK413

jetblastdubai

Re: Dubai runway to close for 6 weeks in 2019

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 am

mercure1 wrote:
replacement of ground lighting. The aim is “to boost safety, service and capacity levels”.

I worked ATC at DXB for a number of years and as a controller, I thought the runway lighting system was the absolute worst system I've ever seen. The runway lights were directional meaning you could only have the runway lights on for one end of the runway at a time. If the lights were on for runway 12R, there would be no visible runway lights for 30L (the opposite direction of the same runway).

The ATC tower is abeam the approach end of 12R and when runway 30L was in use, from the tower you could not see any runway lights. It was like looking into a black hole. At night, a controller could not tell by visually looking out the window if the lights were on or off, if they were on step 1 or step 5 or if there were successive runway lights out of service. Worse yet, if traffic needed to cross the runway at the far end of the landing runway, there would be no runway lights visible from the cockpit, only the red "runway" sign co-located with the painted hold bars. We had many more runway incursions than we should have had for a relatively simple, 2 parallel runway airport. Although it could have been coincidental, you have to wonder if not having a clearly-visible runway at night might have complicated things for some pilots.

The runway reconstruction should surprise no one. Between the hot conditions and the amount of heavy aircraft making sharp, 90 degree turns at the runway entrance points or sitting on the hot, soft pavement at the holding points for extended periods of time waiting for departure opportunities, the surface gets abused on an almost continual basis. A DNATA (airport operator) told us once that the A380s landing gear configuration literally chews up the concrete making turns at the holding points.

Looking at the satellite view, you can see the major reinforcements that have already been done at the holding points (departure intersections for US controllers).

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.2522186 ... a=!3m1!1e3

notaxonrotax

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:36 am

Oh, so they need another couple of A380`s full of underpaid construction workers from India and Sri Lanka.
Or would the locals build this one, for once?

No Tax On Rotax

cougar15

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
replacement of ground lighting. The aim is “to boost safety, service and capacity levels”.

I worked ATC at DXB for a number of years and as a controller, I thought the runway lighting system was the absolute worst system I've ever seen. The runway lights were directional meaning you could only have the runway lights on for one end of the runway at a time. If the lights were on for runway 12R, there would be no visible runway lights for 30L (the opposite direction of the same runway).

The ATC tower is abeam the approach end of 12R and when runway 30L was in use, from the tower you could not see any runway lights. It was like looking into a black hole. At night, a controller could not tell by visually looking out the window if the lights were on or off, if they were on step 1 or step 5 or if there were successive runway lights out of service. Worse yet, if traffic needed to cross the runway at the far end of the landing runway, there would be no runway lights visible from the cockpit, only the red "runway" sign co-located with the painted hold bars. We had many more runway incursions than we should have had for a relatively simple, 2 parallel runway airport. Although it could have been coincidental, you have to wonder if not having a clearly-visible runway at night might have complicated things for some pilots.

The runway reconstruction should surprise no one. Between the hot conditions and the amount of heavy aircraft making sharp, 90 degree turns at the runway entrance points or sitting on the hot, soft pavement at the holding points for extended periods of time waiting for departure opportunities, the surface gets abused on an almost continual basis. A DNATA (airport operator) told us once that the A380s landing gear configuration literally chews up the concrete making turns at the holding points.

Looking at the satellite view, you can see the major reinforcements that have already been done at the holding points (departure intersections for US controllers).

I too thought both runways were done, my outfit moved to DWC during these works and end up staying there (freight),

emiratesdriver

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:46 am

They did a good job last time, no reason to think they won’t again, oh hang on we are talking about Dubai.

c933103

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Is the DWC still having only 1 runway?

Slash787

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:34 pm

c933103 wrote:

Yes only one runway at the moment.

CARST

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:41 pm

BTW what is taking them so long to finish the six runways at DWC and open up Emirates terminal over there? This tends to look like BER and AUH.

zeke

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:41 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
Worse yet, if traffic needed to cross the runway at the far end of the landing runway, there would be no runway lights visible from the cockpit, only the red "runway" sign co-located with the painted hold bars. We had many more runway incursions than we should have had for a relatively simple, 2 parallel runway airport. Although it could have been coincidental, you have to wonder if not having a clearly-visible runway at night might have complicated things for some pilots.

I think it must have been some time since you have been in DXB, the hold points have stop bars. Been off 30R a few times via M13A, no indication of pavement damage.

30R tends to get RNAV rathaer than ILS approaches. RRSM is a little difffernt to ICAO.

I wish the ground controllers would take a breath issuing instructions between holds and taxiways/taxilanes.

CallmeJB

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:31 pm

notaxonrotax wrote:
Oh, so they need another couple of A380`s full of underpaid construction workers from India and Sri Lanka.

No Tax On Rotax

They won't be building anything with locals if this will fall over Ramadan.

theaathiqone

Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm

notaxonrotax wrote:

No Tax On Rotax

Mate, I would appreciate it if you keep that kind of comments to yourself or somewhere else. This is an aviation forum, not about the human rights. Those forums can be found on another website.

As for the supposed expansion of DWC, I heard they are shelving those plans until later in the decade, and decided instead of upgrading Dubai airport only. Airlines are quite comfortable with Dubai Airport (but these are just rumors and not certified true)

Thanks and have a great day ahead.

jetblastdubai

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:01 pm

zeke wrote:
I think it must have been some time since you have been in DXB, the hold points have stop bars. Been off 30R a few times via M13A, no indication of pavement damage.

I wish the ground controllers would take a breath issuing instructions between holds and taxiways/taxilanes.

You are correct, there are also red stop bars at the intersections in addition to the red runway signs. I neglected to mention that. My point was that it is better to make any runway as visible as possible so that it's easier for a flight crew to maintain better situational awareness while moving around the airport. I don't want to get too deep into local nuances about DXB without having a labled airport map to associate with but the the L3/M2 area saw more runway incursions than any place on the airport. The taxiway design was poor to begin with IMO but a 4,000 meter row of white runway lights, visible from almost anywhere on the airport could give unfamiliar pilots a better shot at avoiding a bad situation.

M13 and M14 were replaced far more often than any other piece of concrete on the airport which is why you rarely saw the damaged concrete. We would go for days at a time with one of the most common holding points on the airport close for rebuilding. M13 closed one week and M14 closed the next etc.

I agree, the controller phraseology is excessive but some of that is because the GCAA added phraseology requirements above and beyond ICAO standards. There were so many runway incursions that controllers were mandated to add the words "hold short of runway XX" with EVERY taxi clearance to a departure runway holding point.

Disclaimer: I've been gone for 5 year so some things might have changed by now.

jmchevallier

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 pm

The main culprit of the poor condition of DXB runways is not the A380, but the B77W :

- they are more numerous than A380
- their 6 wheel main landing gear posts are smaller and more heavily loaded at MTOW than the A380's.

I remember Boeing powerfull lobbying 15 years ago to get ICAO approval on a favorable equivalence factor betweeen 6 whell and 4 wheel gears in order to minimize the 77W impact on airport flexible pavement ... But it is true that Airbus A380 later took also advantage of the said favorable factor.

So no surprise to see the most intensively 6 whell gear used runways rebuilt at short intervals !

EPA001

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:08 pm

c933103 wrote:

I would have thought that the construction speed of DWC would have been faster than it currently seems to go. So they are limited in offering some relieve for DXB.

LAXLHR

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:15 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the insight into DXB. Things one never thinks about when looking at airport sat images.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos