Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Gulfstream Airlines’ Silver Lining: The Gulfstream – Silver Story

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Link/Source: https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/02/23/gul ... ver-story/

"While the airline was able to hold its own in the market, their flight training caused concern from various companies and politicians. The Gulfstream Flight Academy had been found to be falsifying training hours and experiences of flight crews, which would result in multiple monetary penalties from the FAA. The severity of these fines would only be compounded when it was discovered that the lack of flight training from Gulfstream would play a role in the crashes of Pinnacle Airlines 3701, Comair 5191, and Colgan Air 3407."

"After being fined for playing a role in the Colgan Air crash, Gulfstream had decided to shut down the flight school, citing lack of demand as the reason for closure."

"After being fined for playing a role in the Colgan Air crash, Gulfstream had decided to shut down the flight school, citing lack of demand as the reason for closure. However, the airline was already in dire straights from the economic recession and the fines from the FAA were not helping their bottom line. The carrier finally pulled the plug on Nov. 4, 2010."

"Despite the expansion, questions still swirl about the carrier’s financial state. The airline has missed multiple hangar payments with the worst offender being Gainesville, who saw Silver miss multiple payments and then suspend service to the city. Silver has also not seen positive feedback from EAS cities either, with cities like Johnstown telling the Department of Transportation to remove Silver Airways from their town in favor of a different airline."

Interesting read.
Is 3M still providing EAS to alot of the smaller communities, and has their on-time performence improved any?
I have seen quite a few times that their flights from MCO are late in both directions.

deltadudejg

Re: Gulfstream Airlines’ Silver Lining: The Gulfstream – Silver Story

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:04 pm

They did pull their entire operations out of IAD, which correct me if I'm wrong were mostly EAS routes. I know they did struggle a couple years ago with keeping the Saabs flying. Don't know the full detail but it was something like they were sending or needing maintenance on too many of their birds at once. I always loved Gulfstream, especially when they still had their Embraer 120. My opinion I feel had they not changed into Silver I don't think they would have stuck around. I am curious to see how the airline pans out when they do receive their ATR fleet. The first one has already been registered.

MO11

Re: Gulfstream Airlines’ Silver Lining: The Gulfstream – Silver Story

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:06 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
Link/Source: https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/02/23/gul ... ver-story/

Interesting read.
Is 3M still providing EAS to alot of the smaller communities, and has their on-time performence improved any?
I have seen quite a few times that their flights from MCO are late in both directions.

Don't confuse Gulfstream with Silver. Gulfstream was sold in 2011; management is entirely different. Silver does not currently have any subsidized EAS contracts.

Gulfstream management continued with Sun Air Express (formerly Gulfstream Air Charter), which also has been sold.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos