Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sbaflyer

Re: Upstate New York Thread - 2018

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:14 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Does anyone know when ANY announcement might happen?

https://twitter.com/MegsNewsFlash/statu ... 48224?s=20

Looks like next week.

WeatherPilot

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:47 pm

While we're talking about Syracuse, did anyone else notice that LiveATC.net has stopped providing any feeds of SYR?

SyracuseAvGeek

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:50 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
While we're talking about Syracuse, did anyone else notice that LiveATC.net has stopped providing any feeds of SYR?

I've noticed that, why would they stop providing feed for SYR

WeatherPilot

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:03 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:

I've noticed that, why would they stop providing feed for SYR

They're all volunteer feeds. If you live close enough to the airport and have a decent internet connection give them a call and they might have some loaner equipment available for you to use to pickup the tower and stream it online for them. I'm neither of those things, oh well. So the last guy who was uploading the live stream stopped for some reason.

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:45 am

rocANDtpa wrote:
Sounds like UA SYR-DEN to me too based on the tease.

I think that too .... but SYR twitter account makes it seem like a big announcement. When Frontier Airlines came to Buffalo the news came out the day before and when it was the Jetblue route to LA. I feel like that announcement was day of.

If it was just UA SYR - DEN .... that would be building up a lot of hype for no reason. Just announce it already.

sbaflyer

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:02 pm

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:07 pm

If it is not Southwest, I can't see why they would be building it up this much. The only other thing that I can think of that would warrant this much build up is Europe service with Norwegian

sbaflyer

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:39 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
If it is not Southwest, I can't see why they would be building it up this much. The only other thing that I can think of that would warrant this much build up is Europe service with Norwegian

https://twitter.com/MegsNewsFlash/statu ... 85953?s=20

Doesn't look like it based on this reporter's impression

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:16 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I said that earlier ....

if it was just UA SYR- DEN... there would not be this much hype around it and secrecy. I cant see it being Norwegian, i would see Buffalo getting that over ROC or SYR.

WeatherPilot

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:08 pm

I'm wondering if it is indeed an annoucement of SYR-DEN being offered by either UA or F9 with support from that grant the airport applied for and the grant requires a certain amount of advertising/social media etc.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 pm

These are my predictions, what is your opinion? Here are the possibilities in order of most likely to least likely.

- Most likely -
1. New service farther westward with a carrier already serving SYR (West coast, DEN, Texas)

2. New carrier other than Southwest (Frontier, Spirit) that gives SYR non-stop(s) to a new destination

3. Southwest

4. Service to Europe with Norwegian or another carrier
- Least Likely -

Anything less than these options (like more service along the east coast) would just be a disappointment and wouldn't diserve this much hype.

If I'm missing any other possibilities let me know

Arch89U

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:53 am

Looks like in enilria's post this week UA is cutting frequencies to ROC. 5>4 to ORD and 3>2 for IAD.

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:45 am

IAD is losing the DH8's, so 50-seat RJs are likely being substituted. There will likely be frequency losses elsewhere.

Jim

WeatherPilot

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Something interesting this morning, Southwest sent a plane to SYR this morning from BWI. Flight SWA8614. I couldn't find anything happening with the schools in the area so I don't think it's a charter.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA8614

TucsonDave

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Possibly a military charter. Looks like it's headed to ONT.

TucsonDave

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:04 pm

WeatherPilot

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:24 pm

TucsonDave wrote:

Ah, that makes sense.

BUFJACK10

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 pm

ROCDLFAN wrote:
It’s not going to be Southwest- SYR and the CNY region is just too close to BUF, ROC, and ALB to exist without consequence to other stations, especially ROC. UA to DEN, AA to DFW or even NK or F9 are significantly more likely.

With all due respect, I think you may be overlooking the North-South expanse of the SYR catchment area, extending from the Twin Tier area surrounding BGM North into the YGK-YOW area. SYR's catchment area isn't limited to just CNY. SYR should have landed SW years ago. Unfortunately it hasn't had the private or public leadership to bring about what should have been a slam dunk.

This has become interesting

I think that SYR could be attractive to WN, It has a pretty good catchment area north with Canada, not to forget Watertown with the military, south with ITH, BGM, ELM, and East to UCA. and could compliment ALB. SYR is pretty much equidistant between ALB and BUF and an easy, albeit extremely boring drive of about 2 hours to either. A central WN station could benefit SYR and upstate greatly.

My concern with that is that potentially it could leave ROC in a precarious position, depending on what percentage of SYR flyers go to ROC to travel which is only about 1 hour and affect ALB as well, I know there is a good percentage of flyers from ROC who patronize BUF and to a lesser degree BUF flyers using ROC as I have. I'm not sure if many SYR flyers use BUF. I would hope WN would not try a DAY to CVG scenario to "better accommodate" upstate passengers. I would not want to see this happen because it would inconvenience ROC flyers and BUF flyers like myself who utilize ROC. They have a nice facility and in my opinion could support more than what they currently have.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week.

TucsonDave

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Speaking of inconvenience, folks in the SYR catchment area, which extends past Watertown/Fort Drum into SE Ontario, have been inconvenienced far too long. The SYR catchment area can support SW Service, no doubt in my mind. Hopefully, the ROC catchment area can as well, but it isn't nearly as extensive as the SYR catchment area, and I would submit SYR's catchment area has a larger population. In any event, let the ROC area stand on its own merits without having numbers padded by inconvenienced pax from CNY.

cosyr

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 pm

TucsonDave wrote:
Speaking of inconvenience, folks in the SYR catchment area, which extends past Watertown/Fort Drum into SE Ontario, have been inconvenienced far too long. The SYR catchment area can support SW Service, no doubt in my mind. Hopefully, the ROC catchment area can as well, but it isn't nearly as extensive as the SYR catchment area, and I would submit SYR's catchment area has a larger population. In any event, let the ROC area stand on its own merits without having numbers padded by inconvenienced pax from CNY.

ROC is a bigger and more prosperous city by itself, and SYR has easier access to more small to medium cities within an hour's drive, so I think both have a similar market potential for WN. Remember, WN never started ROC, they just deliberated and maintained service after the AirTran merger.

I think WN has reached a market saturation point where their small airline mentality of 'not starting a city until it could sustain at least 10 daily flights' is leaving them with limited growth options. It would be unlikely that SYR could sustain 10 daily flights, but if say 5 (2x MDW, 2x BWI, 1xMCO or FLL, etc.) can't entice WN, there are very few new markets in the US left for them.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Allegiance just announced SYR-BNA. Today isn't the day they said it would be announced so I hope that means there is something bigger being announced tomorrow, another Allegiant destination didn't deserve this much hype

sbaflyer

Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:32 pm

https://twitter.com/SyracuseAirport/sta ... 3219601413

Hopefully based on this, there is more to come.

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:34 pm

What I don't get is why JetBlue hasn't grown more aggressively in SYR, due to the absence of Southwest. If Syracuse is as ripe for Southwest as you all say, JetBlue should already be significantly larger there.

This economic analysis shows as of 2016-17 JetBlue CASM of about $0.10.2, and Southwest CASM of $0.10.9. CASM chart is on p. 38.

http://www.oliverwyman.com/content/dam/ ... 17_web.pdf

JetBlue has a lower CASM and a significant network of its own, including coverage of major SYR PDEW markets, especially Florida. You all said above that SYR has 1x BOS, 2x JFK, 1x MCO. Or, only one more net flight than ROC, which has 3xJFK.

Let's say WN entered SYR, and stimulated some growth. Probably not much; we saw above that ROC 2016 was about 2.37 million pax and SYR about 1.98 million. So even stimulating to the level of the ROC market--which SYR hasn't reached with all that Canada-to-PA catchment you all talk about-we'd probably see them enter SYR with 5x daily, and JetBlue would probably shed a daily, maybe MCO to keep up 2x daily to JFK for businesspeople.

A WN SYR schedule would probably parallel ROC--3x BWI, 1x MCO, and 1x somewhere else in Florida, probably either TPA or FLL. Much of the BWI traffic would be connecting, much to places B6 could cover, and does from JFK--Florida and West Coast.

So, if potential for higher LCC traffic at SYR exists, why isn't B6 with its lower CASM already running an SYR schedule like: 3x JFK, 1x MCO, 1x FLL, 1X TPA, 1x BOS, some of those A320's?

Jim
Last edited by DCA-ROCguy on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:37 pm

SYR-BNA is an interesting add for Allegiant. As far as I know, no Upstate NY market has supported nonstop service to Nashville except BUF during the AA hub era around late 80's. Hoping it works! Is there some special economic connection between the BNA area and SYR?

Jim

BUFJACK10

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:39 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
SYR-BNA is an interesting add for Allegiant. As far as I know, no Upstate NY market has supported nonstop service to Nashville except BUF during the AA hub era around late 80's. Hoping it works! Is there some special economic connection between the BNA area and SYR?

Jim

It wasn’t nonstop, it was 3xdaily via cle. RDU was nonstop 3 daily’s as well.

cosyr

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
What I don't get is why JetBlue hasn't grown more aggressively in SYR, due to the absence of Southwest. If Syracuse is as ripe for Southwest as you all say, JetBlue should already be significantly larger there.

This economic analysis shows as of 2016-17 JetBlue CASM of about $0.10.2, and Southwest CASM of $0.10.9. CASM chart is on p. 38.

JetBlue has a lower CASM and a significant network of its own, including coverage of major SYR PDEW markets, especially Florida. You all said above that SYR has 1x BOS, 2x JFK, 1x MCO. Or, only one more net flight than ROC, which has 3xJFK.

Let's say WN entered SYR, and stimulated some growth. Probably not much; we saw above that ROC 2016 was about 2.37 million pax and SYR about 1.98 million. So even stimulating to the level of the ROC market--which SYR hasn't reached with all that Canada-to-PA catchment you all talk about-we'd probably see them enter SYR with 5x daily, and JetBlue would probably shed a daily, maybe MCO to keep up 2x daily to JFK for businesspeople.

A WN SYR schedule would probably parallel ROC--3x BWI, 1x MCO, and 1x somewhere else in Florida, probably either TPA or FLL. Much of the BWI traffic would be connecting, much to places B6 could cover, and does from JFK--Florida and West Coast.

So, if potential for higher LCC traffic at SYR exists, why isn't B6 with its lower CASM already running an SYR schedule like: 3x JFK, 1x MCO, 1x FLL, 1X TPA, 1x BOS, some of those A320's?

Jim

B6 has a model that just doesn't work for me here. I love them as an airline, but I often fly to DEN, and the only connection they have to DEN is redeye returns and/or 6-8 hour layovers. They have often run up to 4x SYR-JFK daily, but somehow still didn't have reasonable connection times, and then only one daily JFK-DEN, late night, was a pain. I longed for them to add SYR-BOS, so I could connect to the daytime flight to DEN, and then when they finally added SYR-BOS, it didn't line up with the DEN flight.

You want to know why B6 isn't bigger in SYR? It's things like that. B6 just marches to the beat of their own drum. Plenty of room for WN, and they would hardly complete, because there's no way WN would fly SYR-NYC...at least to begin with.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:14 pm

cosyr wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim

B6 has a model that just doesn't work for me here. I love them as an airline, but I often fly to DEN, and the only connection they have to DEN is redeye returns and/or 6-8 hour layovers. They have often run up to 4x SYR-JFK daily, but somehow still didn't have reasonable connection times, and then only one daily JFK-DEN, late night, was a pain. I longed for them to add SYR-BOS, so I could connect to the daytime flight to DEN, and then when they finally added SYR-BOS, it didn't line up with the DEN flight.

You want to know why B6 isn't bigger in SYR? It's things like that. B6 just marches to the beat of their own drum. Plenty of room for WN, and they would hardly complete, because there's no way WN would fly SYR-NYC...at least to begin with.

I did DEN-BOS-SYR this past March during the day and the flight lined up perfectally, granted the layover was 5hrs but it was better than a red-eye

cosyr

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
cosyr wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim

I did DEN-BOS-SYR this past March during the day and the flight lined up perfectally, granted the layover was 5hrs but it was better than a red-eye

Even going to Europe, a 5 hour layover is not what I would call lining up perfectly. I love plane watching, but in those multi hour layovers, even the busiest airports have lulls.

jplatts

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:29 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim

The 15 largest markets in the U.S. not served by B6 are STL, MCI, CMH, IND, SAT, CVG, MKE, ORF, GSO, SDF, GRR, OKC, MEM, BHM, and MDT. WN does not currently serve GSO or MDT, but WN does already have nonstop service to the other 13 of the 15 destinations from BWI. WN would be able to connect passengers to 13 of the 15 largest markets in the U.S. not served by B6 from SYR through BWI if it adds SYR-BWI nonstop service. There are also many travelers outside of the Northeast who would prefer to fly on WN over B6 to SYR if WN added service to SYR. WN is also much bigger than B6 is outside of the Northeast.

TucsonDave

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim
Jim, a lot of the reason for lack of aggressive growth by B6 can be attributed to City Hall, which owned and operated SYR until just a few years ago. For years, maximized revenues from airlines had trumped decent affordable air service; thus the bleed to ROC, ALB, and even BUF. Given the pax totals ROC vs. SYR, I submit those would at least even out were SW to serve SYR. If fares from SYR become more competitive with its neighbors, SYR will flourish. That would corfirm comments on the subject by the former B6 CEO several years ago. (I'm on a road trip and cannot immediately provide a link, but the story appeared in the Syr. Post-Standard circa 2010. Guess we'll find out tomorrow, but if SYR doesn't get AS there will be a huge and cry.)

TucsonDave

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:10 pm

TucsonDave wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:

Jim
Jim, a lot of the reason for lack of aggressive growth by B6 can be attributed to City Hall, which owned and operated SYR until just a few years ago. For years, maximized revenues from airlines had trumped decent affordable air service; thus the bleed to ROC, ALB, and even BUF. Given the pax totals ROC vs. SYR, I submit those would at least even out were SW to serve SYR. If fares from SYR become more competitive with its neighbors, SYR will flourish. That would corfirm comments on the subject by the former B6 CEO several years ago. (I'm on a road trip and cannot immediately provide a link, but the story appeared in the Syr. Post-Standard circa 2010. Guess we'll find out tomorrow, but if SYR doesn't get AS there will be a huge and cry.)
Sorry for typo in final sentence. Should read SW, not AS.

jworks158

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:05 pm

sbaflyer wrote:
https://twitter.com/SyracuseAirport/status/980789343219601413

Hopefully based on this, there is more to come.

Here's the latest tweet, https://twitter.com/SyracuseAirport/sta ... 4369393666

"We are preparing for our SYRiously BIG announcement!" But the image in the tweet tells the story, looks like they are getting ready for a press conference.

WeatherPilot

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 pm

Press conference is happening at 9:30am local time on Wedensday

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm

it has to be be to cause this much excitement, I'm hyped!

ROCDLFAN

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 am

Based on another thread on a.net it looks like the secrets out, it’s going to be Frontier. No word on destinations yet, but it appears F9 is also launching PWM and MDT as well. I guess we’ll see in 3 hours the validity of it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true (what I honestly thought all along.)

Overall, it would be a decent add for SYR.

SyracuseAvGeek

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Frontier added SYR to their booking algorithm. You can now book flights non-stop from SYR to MCO, RDU, DEN, and ORD

cosyr

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:10 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Frontier added SYR to their booking algorithm. You can now book flights non-stop from SYR to MCO, RDU, DEN, and ORD

That will be such a let down. Though, I suppose it could be worse. I would never fly (modern) Frontier, but they will still lower prices on SYR-DEN bookings for all airlines...if the flights fall on the right days of the week.

RL757PVD

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:21 pm

How is that a let down? 4 new nonstop cities on an A320... that's great news for SYR

cosyr

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:33 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
How is that a let down? 4 new nonstop cities on an A320... that's great news for SYR

Sure, if you're willing to fly on F9, NK or G4, which I am not, but if it helps lower fares for SYR over all, it is welcome.

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:34 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

congrats! that is awesome news! SYR- DEN is finally a route in cuse! United missed out!

WeatherPilot

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:01 pm

TucsonDave

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
While I certainly hope the new service succeeds, I believe the hype was way over the top for an announcement of all of nine flights per week. Only Southwest would have justified the hype. Once again, SYR has to settle for mediocrity.

RL757PVD

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 pm

TucsonDave wrote:
While I certainly hope the new service succeeds, I believe the hype was way over the top for an announcement of all of nine flights per week. Only Southwest would have justified the hype. Once again, SYR has to settle for mediocrity.

I'm not quite sure if your expectations are tethered to reality here...

What was the last major airline to add SYR (G4 and AC were minor additions)?
When was the last time SYR gained more than 2 new destinations in a single announcement
What is the longest sched nonstop in SYR history (besides the one-off SLC flight on the holiday break)

This could arguably be the most significant addition to SYR since B6 which was like 15 or so years ago. Sorry its not WN with 8 daily flights, but that's never going to happen

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:54 pm

What RL757PVD said.

Good for SYR, getting nine weeklies, not just say two or four. I've never thought it a serious possibility that Frontier would come to ROC. My guess is, that given Frontier's business model, IAG and SYR will represent them for Upstate New York, and maybe ALB at some point. Were they to come to ROC, I would guess 2 weekly DEN and 2 weekly MCO. RDU and ORD would be less likely, but not out of the question.

Jim

panam330

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Solid adds for my childhood hometown airport. I'm disappointed DEN-SYR isn't on UAX, but Syracuse needs to take what it can get. If it does well enough, maybe we'll see UA add it and try to push them out. Who knows, though. Congrats to SYR either way!

WeatherPilot

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm excited to see SYR land F9. More competition the better and they're bringing new routes. There are those that will say that F9 isn't such a big deal or that they are a carrier to stay away from; I have no gripes with them. Their business model is just a different way of thinking when booking. If people don't like that choose another airline. Any new carrier annoucement is better than no carrier and it will attract the attention of others, like Southwest.

WeatherPilot

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Here's the Press Release from Frontier. Of note is their use of the A321 for their MCO service.

https://news.flyfrontier.com/syracuse-- ... low-as-29/

Roots1

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:26 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
What RL757PVD said.

Good for SYR, getting nine weeklies, not just say two or four. I've never thought it a serious possibility that Frontier would come to ROC. My guess is, that given Frontier's business model, IAG and SYR will represent them for Upstate New York, and maybe ALB at some point. Were they to come to ROC, I would guess 2 weekly DEN and 2 weekly MCO. RDU and ORD would be less likely, but not out of the question.

Jim

Frontier actually serves BUF along with now, SYR. Maybe you're thinking of Spirit at IAG.

Which, speaking of Spirit, ROC seems like it would be a perfect addition to their network, now with Frontier at BUF and SYR and Spirit already at IAG. Nothing major, but a daily each to FLL and MCO and maybe seasonal to MYR, and if those flights perform then go from there. I remember reading somewhere months ago Spirit was one of two air service priorities for Monroe County (along with JetBlue to BOS).

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm sorry for the error. I'll check websites, or my large timetable collection for historical references, for a little while to aid my memory. :)

It seemed very strange to me that Allegiant couldn't make FLL work at ROC. ROC has supported daily FLL in the past, as shown in AirTran's November 4, 2004 timetable. Perhaps Spirit with their hub at FLL could make two or three weekly flights work. Spirit's April 12 timetable shows five weekly IAG-MYR, and two weekly IAG-FLL. I don't know what ROC-MYR demand is.

Jim

DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Speaking of which, a blast from Rochester past, in the days of mid-2000's economy, AirTran's lower CASM, and lower fuel prices:

AirTran Rochester schedule, November 4, 2004 timetable: ATL 3x BWI 3x FLL 1x MCO 1x TPA 1x. Nine dailies!

Jim

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos