Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deltadawg
Topic Author

jetBlue in Atlanta

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 am

I have been flying jetBlue now from ATL-BOS for about a year and really have enjoyed their service. I tried them originally just as a break and something different than Delta. However, I really like to try flying them to more places than Boston (I go to Boston as that is where our corporate headquarters is). I know they are flying to FLL, MCO and JFK but I also have to travel to the Left Coast and they always want to route flights from ATL to the Left Coast thru BOS or FLL and becomes an all day affair.

Anyone have any insights into possible new planned routes from ATL? I know they need more gate space so does anyone have any insight into that as well? Thanks.

tphuang

Re: jetBlue in Atlanta

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 am

unless they want to piss off Delta even more than they already have, I think they are going to be done adding more routes out of ATL.

jfklganyc

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:37 am

You’re lucky you have that.

I have never seen B6 open a spoke with that level of cities or flights...especially in a competitors hub.

Look at DFW or CLT to see how bad it can be with B6

VS4ever

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

For B6 their operations out of ATL, DFW , ORD and others are intended to provide service for their flyer base out of BOS for example. ATL and LGA were only added because they got the feedback it was needed. So I doubt very much they want to get into a war with DL out of ATL by ramping up service and you will not see many if any more routes. Just look at ORD they only have 1 gate and show no signs of expanding there and they have been there a lot longer.
So ATL will be fine if you want to get to BOS or FLL or in the latter case, some connections to the Caribbean or Central America. But otherwise I don’t think you are going to see a whole lot.

STT757

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:29 pm

deltadawg wrote:
I have been flying jetBlue now from ATL-BOS for about a year and really have enjoyed their service. I tried them originally just as a break and something different than Delta. However, I really like to try flying them to more places than Boston (I go to Boston as that is where our corporate headquarters is). I know they are flying to FLL, MCO and JFK but I also have to travel to the Left Coast and they always want to route flights from ATL to the Left Coast thru BOS or FLL and becomes an all day affair.

Anyone have any insights into possible new planned routes from ATL? I know they need more gate space so does anyone have any insight into that as well? Thanks.

The destinations B6 launched form ATL ( BOS, FLL, JFK, MCO) are all hubs or focus cities for the airline. I think the services are geared more to travelers to Atlanta than trying to steal customers from the hometown carrier. As has been mentioned in several threads regarding B6 they lack a West coast presence, actually they lack anything but a Northeast and Florida presence. This would preclude them from offering a West Coast flight from ATL, IIRC they did serve either OAK and or LGB with their first foray into ATL but they obviously were not successful.

And before someone mentions LGB, it's obviously that along the same lines as BOS, JFK, FLL and MCO in terms of hubs/focus cities. And it seems it's diminishing with strong competition from LAX and WN's growth in LGB.

jfklganyc

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm

Actually, they have a large west coast presence, but it focused around getting Bostonians and New Yorkers to/from the west coast.

From JFK alone, they serve SAN LAX LGB BUR SMF SJC OAK SFO PDX SEA PSP. No one has ever served that many deatinations non stop pluse the usual high frequency destinations of LAX and SFO.

But they arent relevant to anyone on the west coast not traveling to NY or BOS.

ATL would be an odd ball route. One they got their butts handed to them in before

Block

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 am

The only way that Atlanta could be expanded is if they B6 expands mint and ATL gets a flight to LAX, SFO, SEA. B6 could probably sustain two a day to SFO and LAX and one to SEA. LAX/ SFO can be a morning and an evening flight, with SEA just getting an evening one

ahj2000

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:43 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
You’re lucky you have that.

I have never seen B6 open a spoke with that level of cities or flights...especially in a competitors hub.

Look at DFW or CLT to see how bad it can be with B6

Agreed and add Hobby to that list.
Almost pathetic, but perhaps they just can’t crack fortresses.

MAH4546

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

But they arent relevant to anyone on the west coast not traveling to NY or BOS

They fly FLL-LAX/LGB/SFO/SAN/LAS/SLC and MCO-LAX/SLC, as well as BUF-LAX.

evank516

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

But they arent relevant to anyone on the west coast not traveling to NY or BOS

They fly FLL-LAX/LGB/SFO/SAN/LAS/SLC and MCO-LAX/SLC, as well as BUF-LAX.

FLL is a focus city. MCO is a focus city. FLL-LGB is focus city to focus city. BUF-LAX is the odd man out here, but they're based out of NY and have gotten some generous deals in the past by offering expanded service to markets in Upstate and Western NY, so I'm sure B6 is benefiting somewhere else.

CobaltScar

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 pm

They really need to start MCO-SFO

jfklganyc

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:23 pm

B6 does not fly FLL-SAN daily. Most of the rest are once daily red eyes

evank516

VS4ever wrote:
For B6 their operations out of ATL, DFW , ORD and others are intended to provide service for their flyer base out of BOS for example. ATL and LGA were only added because they got the feedback it was needed. So I doubt very much they want to get into a war with DL out of ATL by ramping up service and you will not see many if any more routes. Just look at ORD they only have 1 gate and show no signs of expanding there and they have been there a lot longer.
So ATL will be fine if you want to get to BOS or FLL or in the latter case, some connections to the Caribbean or Central America. But otherwise I don’t think you are going to see a whole lot.

Keep in mind ORD is still more than a few flights per day to BOS. They have 4 daily to JFK and 1 daily to FLL. They also have the capability of operating out of more than one gate. They normally use L5, but will use L3 for overflow. I was in ORD last summer and flew B6 from JFK. We parked at L3 because there was another B6 aircraft occupying L5. My flight home moved to L3 because of a late arriving aircraft from BOS. ORD is probably one of the more active spokes just like ATL is going to be next week.

fastmover

Block wrote:
The only way that Atlanta could be expanded is if they B6 expands mint and ATL gets a flight to LAX, SFO, SEA. B6 could probably sustain two a day to SFO and LAX and one to SEA. LAX/ SFO can be a morning and an evening flight, with SEA just getting an evening one

There was some rumors about adding mint to the west from ATL also putting it back in IAD.
But I think most of the airplanes we are getting soon are all core so I doubt they are true.

VS4ever

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 pm

evank516 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Keep in mind ORD is still more than a few flights per day to BOS. They have 4 daily to JFK and 1 daily to FLL. They also have the capability of operating out of more than one gate. They normally use L5, but will use L3 for overflow. I was in ORD last summer and flew B6 from JFK. We parked at L3 because there was another B6 aircraft occupying L5. My flight home moved to L3 because of a late arriving aircraft from BOS. ORD is probably one of the more active spokes just like ATL is going to be next week.

This is true, my last visit to ORD saw me leave out of L1, which was a NK gate, so they do have arrangements to cover for IRROPs, although interestingly the systems don't work there, so they had to hand count us boarding and use paper to mark the confirmation of the seat assignments, it's definitely not something they like doing. As I said, I just don't see them getting too excited about expanding beyond that, unless they can grab another gate full time somewhere and i am not sure exactly where that would be in that pier.

evank516

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 pm

VS4ever wrote:
evank516 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

This is true, my last visit to ORD saw me leave out of L1, which was a NK gate, so they do have arrangements to cover for IRROPs, although interestingly the systems don't work there, so they had to hand count us boarding and use paper to mark the confirmation of the seat assignments, it's definitely not something they like doing. As I said, I just don't see them getting too excited about expanding beyond that, unless they can grab another gate full time somewhere and i am not sure exactly where that would be in that pier.

Agreed. With ideal capacity at a gate being limited to 10 flights per day (I think) and B6 already offering 9 daily flights at ORD, they'd definitely need another gate for additional ops. The most I'd expect to see come from ORD would MAYBE be a second FLL flight or a new flight to MCO. That's it outside additional flights to JFK or BOS.

FA9295

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 am

Block wrote:

B6 is never going to fly ATL-SEA... Maybe LAX and SFO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos