Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klakzky123

Re: United Polaris Promise Never Matched Reality

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:27 pm

So putting aside the delays in retrofitting the new seats, whats up with the slow lounge rollout? For comparison, AA is up to 4 or 5 flagship lounges so most of their main hubs are now covered. Compare that to the fact that there is only one Polaris lounge today with no timeline on when any others will be rolled rollout. Seems to me that building lounges should (in theory) be easier to plan for compared to seat retrofits. Either way, when you build a huge PR campaign around modernizing the business class experience, it seems like you should probably have a better idea of what the timelines are going to look like.

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Chemist wrote:
I think we can easily see the ranking of service and customer focus of the top 3 US airlines.
United has been pretty dismal for a long time and they don't seem to be improving.

Indeed. The proof is, well, plain as day.

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm

fanoftristars wrote:
Jamake1 wrote:
jetero wrote:
The champagne flute was ridiculous from the start. Are you actually using glassware or back to plastic cups?

The FAA does not permit US carriers to utilize glassware for pre-departure service on the ground. For pre-departure wine/champagne, the original plastic stemmed glass is now used. It is not the plastic blue cup, but a small clear hard plastic cup that has a stem on it.

The glass champagne flute used in flight is my favorite component of the Polaris product...

Someone had better let Delta know... I've had glass flutes pre-departure in Delta One on my last 4 flights.

You know it's been a while since I flew Delta in C/J/whatever it's called but that was my memory too.

EChid

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
For the umpteenth time, "Polaris" is not a new seat. It's a brand. It would be a colossal marketing blunder to not promote an improved product. And again, it would create problems with future and close-in equipment changes until fleets are standardized. That is not a realistic proposal.

Oh, I'm fully aware of what United *wanted* Polaris to represent, but what people care about is hard product, so that's not what Polaris ended up representing. It certainly wasn't AA's stellar reputation for amazing soft product, food, and customer service that was bleeding off corporate customers, it was their superior hard product. Want to advertise general service improvements? Great, find another name for it and differentiate your improved service AND your new hard product, so that client's can be excited about better service on old products and better everything on new products. Totally viable.

millionsofmiles

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
jetero wrote:
The champagne flute was ridiculous from the start. Are you actually using glassware or back to plastic cups?

The FAA does not permit US carriers to utilize glassware for pre-departure service on the ground. For pre-departure wine/champagne, the original plastic stemmed glass is now used. It is not the plastic blue cup, but a small clear hard plastic cup that has a stem on it.

The glass champagne flute used in flight is my favorite component of the Polaris product...

All pre-departure serviceware must be collected before "movement on the surface" and galley compartments cannot be opened during taxi. The use of plastic enables the crew to dispose of glasses without opening galley compartments. The FAA does not prohibit the use of glassware in pre-departure services. The use of glass simply creates more restrictions for crew and passengers.

We use glassware in FC for Pre-departure on the 321T between LAX/SFO and JFK. Some flight attendants opt to use plastic ware to avoid any complications. I use the glassware, as prescribed in our procedures, as I feel comfortable doing so.

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

B737900ER wrote:
[
I don’t think people understand how incredibly complex it is to modify an airplane in the United States.

Wow.

Can't see how this would be any different from any other part of the world?

...Unless you imply that things are done to such a higher standard there, while in the rest of this vast third-world planet amateur mechanics play with duct tape and carpet left-overs, and pimp J class up in a week-end's time...

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:29 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
Jamake1 wrote:
jetero wrote:

All pre-departure serviceware must be collected before "movement on the surface" and galley compartments cannot be opened during taxi. The use of plastic enables the crew to dispose of glasses without opening galley compartments. The FAA does not prohibit the use of glassware in pre-departure services. The use of glass simply creates more restrictions for crew and passengers.

We use glassware in FC for Pre-departure on the 321T between LAX/SFO and JFK. Some flight attendants opt to use plastic ware to avoid any complications. I use the glassware, as prescribed in our procedures, as I feel comfortable doing so.

Clarification much appreciated!

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm really having a laugh seeing all the UA die-hards trying to aggressively defend UA over the menacing A.net mobs....

Guys, I think you should get real.
UA has conjured a shambolic operation with Polaris. They have both over-promised AND under-delivered. They never seemed to be having a proper plan set up. You don't have ONE single lounge throughout a worldwide network in over two years. Get real people. Being big and having a big fleet should not be used as an excuse. Bad planning and poor management would come to mind first? All the things that have been taken away are things you generally find in any legacy J class product.
I mean, they are taking delivery of new aircrafts with the old seat!
Heck, they still even have essentially two separate long-haul fleets, ex-CO and ex-UA.....

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:30 pm

tpaewr wrote:
727200 wrote:
The problem is that the old UA no longer exists. Instead the folks from co run the show and as they have shown since day one of this 'equal merger' they have no clue how to run an American international airline. They are in the big league now but still act like they are only serving Waco, Lubbock, and Austin.

I think your concept is inverted;too much of the old UA still exists. It was United that was known for a Noah's Ark of liveries in various states of decay and huge variety of premium cabins.

You also realize other than the Pacific CO had passed up UA in both ASMs and destinations in the majors international theaters. Before we laud the glory of the 3 cabin 747s and NRT hub verse long haul on smaller 2 cabin lets remember which one is a functional model today and which one has joined PA and the 707 in the dust bin of history.

And you do realize that in co's own 10K filing they stated they had no access to capital to pay for ordered new aircraft? Without the 'merger' co would be a memory. You also realize that the reason co went to the secondary cities and had to use the 2 cabin was because they didn't have the planes or frequency for the major business centers and that is why they were forced to have a 2-cabin plane. They could not attract the high dollar business clientele and so had only a business upgrade along with coach.
Don't try and tell anyone how great co was when the reality was they were a smaller regional carrier who flew to off sites with a few token cities thrown in.

millionsofmiles

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:31 pm

The majority of today's Premium travelers on long- haul want a Premium experience meal service with quality ingredients; appetizing offerings and flexibility. Gone are the expectations for the showpiece appetizers trundled out on a three-tiered cart; roasts carved in the aisle; etc. They want us to provide a quality, attentive service designed around their work; entertainment and sleep. I get it. I may lament for the loss of our caviar cart, and the elimination of other elaborate cart services, but it is what it is.

I really had to laugh when UA Polaris rolled out with the Mimosa and Bloody Mary cart (now eliminated). We did this in the 80s (even in coach on transcons), and even then, it frustrated passengers because they wanted us to get on with the "real service."

"Would you care for a Mimosa or Bloody Mary?"
"I'll have a Diet Coke."
"Sorry. That's coming later."

This is not a conversation that should be taking place today in a Premium cabin.

The desire for choice is more profound today, and when a passenger sees a cart rolling down the aisle with ONLY Mimosas and Bloody Marys, it is viewed as limiting, and not in line with today's expected dynamic of more individualized, choice-driven service.

I really wondered if the United managers who designed this service had also built a time machine because the era for such things as Mimosa and Bloody Mary carts has come and gone.

I also see that the chocolate with the pre-departure beverage was eliminated. Who the heck came up with THAT in the first place? Carriers which offer a food item with pre-departure generally offer nuts or an amuse-bouche. But chocolate? Seriously, United?

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm

727200 wrote:
Don't try and tell anyone how great co was when the reality was they were a smaller regional carrier who flew to off sites with a few token cities thrown in.

Guess what 727200?! Scroll up! Hell, even read what you quoted me as saying! I NEVER DID!!!!

What a fun bunch this is.

IADCA

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm

727200 wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
727200 wrote:
The problem is that the old UA no longer exists. Instead the folks from co run the show and as they have shown since day one of this 'equal merger' they have no clue how to run an American international airline. They are in the big league now but still act like they are only serving Waco, Lubbock, and Austin.

I think your concept is inverted;too much of the old UA still exists. It was United that was known for a Noah's Ark of liveries in various states of decay and huge variety of premium cabins.

You also realize other than the Pacific CO had passed up UA in both ASMs and destinations in the majors international theaters. Before we laud the glory of the 3 cabin 747s and NRT hub verse long haul on smaller 2 cabin lets remember which one is a functional model today and which one has joined PA and the 707 in the dust bin of history.

And you do realize that in co's own 10K filing they stated they had no access to capital to pay for ordered new aircraft? Without the 'merger' co would be a memory. You also realize that the reason co went to the secondary cities and had to use the 2 cabin was because they didn't have the planes or frequency for the major business centers and that is why they were forced to have a 2-cabin plane. They could not attract the high dollar business clientele and so had only a business upgrade along with coach.

This is a bit off topic in terms of discussing a carrier that hasn't existed for quite some time, but it's a bit rich to call CO a "smaller regional carrier." Yes, it was more focused in some areas of the US than the post-merger entity, but so was pmUA. It had almost 350 mainline jets, which even now would make it one of the 20 largest airlines in the world by fleet size, and it had over 250 destinations (including 130ish outside the United States). I suppose all things are relative, but that terminology struck me as a bit much.

millionsofmiles

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 pm

727200 wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
727200 wrote:

How utterly insulting and unjustifiably elitist. Let's not forget that UA didn't serve a single International route (other than Canada or Mexico) prior to 1983. None of today's legacy airlines are/were trailblazing pioneers in the arena of International travel. UA, and all the legacies, are relative newcomers to the true International market. Ironically, CO's entry into the true International marketplace predates United's by 5 years if one is to use CO's 1978 entry into the Taipei market, and even longer if one considers Air Micronesia (1968.)

Regional carrier? Hardly.

B737900ER

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:11 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
[
I don’t think people understand how incredibly complex it is to modify an airplane in the United States.

Wow.

...Unless you imply that things are done to such a higher standard there, while in the rest of this vast third-world planet amateur mechanics play with duct tape and carpet left-overs, and pimp J class up in a week-end's time...

There’s a thing called the FAA which is a bureaucrat nightmare. A simple modification can require a year or more for engineering approvals, months of testing and then possibly months of waiting for paperwork to be processed after the mod, depending on their mood. No other country in the world has to deal with the complex regulations that American carriers deal with.

So yes, it’s very different than other parts of the world.

irelayer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:31 pm

jetero wrote:

The bloody mary cart, Saks bedding, etc., etc., is all a bunch of gimmicks if you ask me. What does that matter if the soft product is lacking? If people really buy a business class seat because of a bloody mary cart, then I guess I'm not normal.

Because it was supposed to be the justification for getting rid of International F.

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 pm

irelayer wrote:
jetero wrote:

The bloody mary cart, Saks bedding, etc., etc., is all a bunch of gimmicks if you ask me. What does that matter if the soft product is lacking? If people really buy a business class seat because of a bloody mary cart, then I guess I'm not normal.

Because it was supposed to be the justification for getting rid of International F.

If you say so, I guess . . .

UPlog

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:11 pm

I guess in summary

▷ United bungled the marketing rollout and managing public expectation. While Polaris was meant to be service concept its primarily associated with the seat in eyes of consumers.

▷ United misjudged some of the soft product items which turned out to be fantasy which either customers did not want or undeliverable by crews as intended.

▷ Its still going to be years before the majority of international customers will experience the new seat and lounges, leaving many disappointed or underwhelmed by the existing generation product.

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm

UPlog wrote:
I guess in summary

▷ United bungled the marketing rollout and managing public expectation. While Polaris was meant to be service concept its primarily associated with the seat in eyes of consumers.

▷ United misjudged some of the soft product items which turned out to be fantasy which either customers did not want or undeliverable by crews as intended.

▷ Its still going to be years before the majority of international customers will experience the new seat and lounges, leaving many disappointed or underwhelmed by the existing generation product.

Hear hear!

Well summarized, factual and dispassionate. :thumbsup:

UPlog

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 pm

And if it was up to me, I would tone down all the Polaris marketing until such time bulk of fleet is actually equipped, and the promised lounges are operational.

Seems to me almost a case of bait and switch of pitching one product/experience, while in reality, the customer ends up with something entirely different.

jetero

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 pm

UPlog wrote:
And if it was up to me, I would tone down all the Polaris marketing until such time bulk of fleet is actually equipped, and the promised lounges are operational.

Seems to me almost a case of bait and switch of pitching one product/experience, while in reality, the customer ends up with something entirely different.

A fine example of a non-hyperbolic or sensationalistic opinion about the topic at hand!

MSPNWA

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:39 pm

EChid wrote:
Want to advertise general service improvements? Great, find another name for it and differentiate your improved service AND your new hard product, so that client's can be excited about better service on old products and better everything on new products. Totally viable.

What you describe is what UA has done. Every J seat saw soft product improvements, and new hard products were also highlighted in function and availability. Sounds like a good time to re-brand J class, as you say. Your solution doesn't match up with your complaint. Not delivering all improvements at the initially expected speed is a separate issue.

UPlog wrote:

That fails Marketing 101 too.

A) It doesn't take advantage of having an improved product available for sale. It's money largely thrown away.

B) When the arbitrary "we can launch it now because we have X amount done" comes along, the company is ridiculed for slapping a new name on an old product, a more serious breach of trust.

In the airline world, there really is no other wise choice except announcing early and accepting the flak from those that have unreasonable expectations of instant hard product change.

oldannyboy

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 pm

B737900ER wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
[

Wow.

There’s a thing called the FAA which is a bureaucrat nightmare. A simple modification can require a year or more for engineering approvals, months of testing and then possibly months of waiting for paperwork to be processed after the mod, depending on their mood. No other country in the world has to deal with the complex regulations that American carriers deal with.

So yes, it’s very different than other parts of the world.

Oh please, give us a break. Seriously.
As if the CAA is less stringent. Please, seriously.

EChid

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
What you describe is what UA has done. Every J seat saw soft product improvements, and new hard products were also highlighted in function and availability. Sounds like a good time to re-brand J class, as you say. Your solution doesn't match up with your complaint. Not delivering all improvements at the initially expected speed is a separate issue.

No, you misread/I worded poorly. I was suggesting two different marketing efforts to represent two different things. They made a mistake in branding two different things with very different availability as closely tied and available. They knew they couldn't deliver half of what the single rebranding promised to the vast majority of their customers (i.e., anyone not on an 777W or flying out of ORD) and yet they didn't clearly inform customers, clearly differentiate, or really do much to attempt to control their customers expectations. Other airlines have easily managed this. Look at AC, as an example, which shows pictures of the product you are getting when you click on the booking category in the very first page of booking options. It's not rocket science. ANA does the same despite a wide range of aircraft being with regional/long-haul business being used on various routes.

I'm not even sure that the soft product was worthy of any branding, especially since it seems that it was largely untested by anyone until they put it in the hands of clients and have therefore had to make all kinds of changes since.

VC10er

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:33 pm

I used to be hard core global business sky warrior, often doing 2/3 long hauls and ULH a month! My average year would be around 250,000 BIS miles. At a certain point, when the novelty wears off the most important things rise to the top and caviar spreads with ice sculptures matter much less.
I did this sky warrior routine from about 1992 to 2008. I would assure my 1k, or then GS (when United started GS) then start switching carriers for a change of scenery and to satisfy my curiosity over other airlines premium cabins.
I shall speak only for myself (but I’ve also had this conversation with other sky warriors and compared notes, and we were always in agreement)
#1: seat comfort, storage and later on technology
#2: specially created convenience features (GS was amazing at this, and counted most during travel snafus: our worst nightmare when all you want is to get home, or to your meeting)
#3: airlines that knew exactly how to balance service and over-kill service
#4: decent food. It didn’t need to be fabulous, just good
#5: IFE
I’ve only experienced Polaris on 6 legs on United’s 77W - all 6 flights were perfect as per the criteria above. Very comfortable (especially the bed) and enough privacy. Plenty of work space and well designed for technology. The cabin was very attractive and the service just fine from smiling and attentive FA’s. Food was fine.
I’m no longer GS and wow, what a downgrade it is to being just 1k. But I’m happy to not be traveling as much. I miss the flying but not the meetings 6 to 12 time-zones off. I was always suffering from jet lag: abroad and at home.
United’s current climb over seat is very comfortable to sleep on, but 12 hours next to a stranger stinks as does the tight space. But while it gets the job done and I love the Saks duvet, it is true that the understandable long wait to get the true hard product and lounge sucks.

I do think United is over promising to business travelers because of the fraction of a chance to actually get that seat (which again I think is great). In my professional opinion as a 30 year vet of branding/advertising that you can always lead a consumer to try you once, but if you don’t live up to the hype you’ve created- then they won’t come back a second time. Not unless they don’t have a choice due to employer contracts or you’re locked in via your lifetime status.
United needs to pull back on aggressively promoting Polaris for 12/18 months- until the odds are about 50/50, or better that your 772 to Hong Kong, Sydney or Mumbai (even London) has the Polaris hard product and that your hub has a Polaris Lounge.
Instead United ought to be touting what they can truly claim, and there is a lot of good stuff United can claim: best FF program (if they keep MP generous) international route network, new aircraft wide bodies (787s and 77W) and more new NB coming and renovated NB, better United Clubs, improved gates, technology and improved customer service and on time performance (I said improved!)
I feel like the palpable improvements felt by frequent UA fliers is not being leveraged and are being drowned out by so much “Polaris” noise.

VC10er

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:44 pm

VC10er wrote:
I UPDATED THIS POST: I used to be hard core global business sky warrior, often doing 2/3 long hauls and ULH a month! My average year would be around 250,000 BIS miles. At a certain point, when the novelty wears off the most important things rise to the top and caviar spreads with ice sculptures matter much less.
I did this sky warrior routine from about 1992 to 2008. I would assure my 1k, or then GS (when United started GS) then start switching carriers for a change of scenery and to satisfy my curiosity over other airlines premium cabins.
I shall speak only for myself, below is what’s critical (but I’ve also had this conversation with other sky warriors and compared notes, and we were always in agreement)
#1: seat comfort, storage and later on technology
#2: specially created convenience features (GS was amazing at this, and counted most during travel snafus: our worst nightmare when all you want is to get home, or to your meeting)
#3: decent lounges, with places to lay down on long layovers
#4: airlines that know exactly how to balance service and over-kill service
#5: decent food. It didn’t need to be fabulous, just good
#6: IFE
I’ve only experienced true Polaris on 6 legs on United’s 77W - all 6 flights were perfect as per the criteria above (except lounges). The Polaris seat is very comfortable (especially the bed) and enough privacy. Plenty of work space and well designed for technology. The cabin was very attractive and the service just fine from smiling and attentive FA’s. Food was fine.
I’m no longer GS and wow, what a downgrade it is to being just 1k. But I’m happy to not be traveling as much. I miss the flying but not the meetings 6 to 12 time-zones off. I suffered jet lag for 15 years: abroad and at home.
United’s current climb over seat is actually very comfortable to sleep on, but 12 hours next to a stranger stinks as does the tight space. But while it gets the job done and I love the Saks duvet, it is true that the “understandable” long wait to get the true hard product and lounge sucks.

I do think United is over promising to business travelers because of the fraction of a chance to actually get that seat (which again I think is great). In my professional opinion as a 30 year vet of branding/advertising that you can always lead a consumer to try you once, but if you don’t live up to the promise you’ve created- then they won’t come back a second time. Not unless they don’t have a choice due to employer contracts or you’re locked in via your lifetime status.
United needs to pull back on aggressively promoting Polaris for 12/18 months- until the odds are about 50/50, or better that your 772 to Hong Kong, São Paulo, Sydney, India and even London and Frankfurt, has the Polaris hard product and that your hub has a Polaris Lounge.
Instead United ought to be touting what they can truly claim, and there is a lot of good stuff United can claim: best FF program (if they keep MP generous) international route network, new aircraft wide bodies (787s and 77W) and more new NB coming (many NB now renovated) better United Clubs, improved gate areas, technology and improved customer service and on time performance (I said improved!)
I feel like the palpable improvements felt by frequent UA fliers is not being leveraged and are being drowned out by so much “Polaris” noise.

rocket45

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:43 am

A Cardboard Polaris Amenity

Flew Polaris business class on the 747-400 in January 2017 SFO/NRT roundtrip and the ice-cream sundae came in an odd crystal slanted bowl on a glass base.

Flew Polaris in business class on the 777-300 in November 2017 SFO/NRT roundtrip and the ice cream sundae came in a paper/cardboard cup. A novel addition to the long carefully planned Polaris service.

Questioning the Flight Attendants it seems at some point the odd designed glass bowls would break and cause some injuries. They were removed for a bit and no Sundaes but lots of complaints. So the Sundaes were resumed but in the paper/cardboard cups. Wonder what they are being served in today?

VC10er

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:48 am

The original crystal “globe” cracked on dry ice. I never heard of injuries, perhaps someone from UA can enlighten us?
The paper cup is/was temporary until a new pretty bowl is found and purchased.
I think I had mine in a white porcelain bowl? But I think I was already falling asleep.
I think they should have gone back to the CO “all purpose” stemmed tulip shaped glass. CO put almost everything in that glass. But perhaps they were already melted down?

Jamake1

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am

The sundae bowls have returned. They are made of melamine rather than glass so shards of glass do not end up in ice cream.

janders
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:37 am

No more gel pillows, mattress covers or slippers?

“On request” option seems to have been removed from menus starting this month

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... olaris-cut

questions

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:31 am

millionsofmiles wrote:

We use glassware in FC for Pre-departure on the 321T between LAX/SFO and JFK. Some flight attendants opt to use plastic ware to avoid any complications. I use the glassware, as prescribed in our procedures, as I feel comfortable doing so.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification!

tpaewr

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:25 am

727200 wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
727200 wrote:

I hate to disrupt your view with some data. But it would seem that not only was CO larger by both ASMs and Cities served in every market but the Pacific in the years before the merger CO had better Yield and RASM. I will provide some links for you.

If you have anything to support your claims I would be interested to read it.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2016 ... rlines.htm

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/2016 ... rlines.htm

Circling back to Polaris. It is my understanding the service is being revisited again based on the feed back it was taking too long. So we are likely to see more changes. Esp for shorter hops East Coast to Europe.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:30 am

The current United lounge situation is bizarre to say the least. EWR seems really hard hit.

United seems to be in all out penny saving mode.

questions

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:15 am

VC10er wrote:
The original crystal “globe” cracked on dry ice.

Wow. Forgetting for a minute under-delivering on the full Polaris service concept, when I read this example and others, e.g., the Mimosa and Bloody Mary cart, I wonder how inept United’s Marketing/ Product Development group is!

Did United stress test service items prior to putting them into service? Food in glass packed with dry ice is certainly serious enough to be thoroughly tested.

Did they talk and listen to customers to understand what is really important and valued? Maybe they did but it doesn’t appear United used experienced and sophisticated marketers to interact with their customers to draw out the important insights required to develop a relevant offering.

This is not the 1960s and 70s when flying was still a novelty for most and passengers wanted to be wowed with elaborate, time-consuming meal service. Quality, choice, flexibility, consistency/dependability... so they can work, relax and sleep... served with a bit of class by people who love their jobs is what most upfront want.

millionsofmiles

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 am

questions wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

You make it look like I wrote the quote ending in "...my favorite component of the Polaris product"? I did not write that,

MY answer began with "All pre-departure serviceware.." and ends with "as I feel comfortable doing so."

jumbojet

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 am

janders wrote:

There is a lot more to that article than just the pulling back of covers, pillows etc...

There are a few that caught my attention:

In the 15 months since United has introduced Polaris, they’ve opened a single Polaris Lounge, and it will be several more months until the next Polaris Lounge opens; as a point of comparison, American has opened four Flagship Lounges in less than six months

So far United has reconfigured a grand total of five planes with Polaris seats, in addition to the 14 Boeing 777-300ERs that were delivered with these seats; not a single 777-200 or 787 has been reconfigured with Polaris seats, and many passengers are still finding themselves in a configuration with eight seats per row in business class

Is it true that no 777's have the new Polaris seat yet? Isnt UA in the slow season, soon to be entering the busy summer grind? Shouldnt UA have been working like the dickens to get as many of these Polaris mods done for S18 as possible? Thats truly unacceptable. Even more so, UA is still flying around birds with 8 across in J?

DL just sent its first 777 in for Mods, 2nd time around in fact for them. UA still hasnt even started the first mods on their own 777 fleet. Sad. Very sad and inexcusable.

Last quote from the One Mile At a Time article that I found shocking:

Specifically, they’ve offered mattress pads, gel pillows, and slippers on request. They don’t load enough of these for all passengers, presumably to save money. A vast majority of passengers aren’t going to read the entire menu, and as a result, most people have no clue that all of these amenities are available in Polaris.

jetero

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:38 pm

jumbojet wrote:
janders wrote:

There is a lot more to that article than just the pulling back of covers, pillows etc...

In the 15 months since United has introduced Polaris, they’ve opened a single Polaris Lounge, and it will be several more months until the next Polaris Lounge opens; as a point of comparison, American has opened four Flagship Lounges in less than six months

So far United has reconfigured a grand total of five planes with Polaris seats, in addition to the 14 Boeing 777-300ERs that were delivered with these seats; not a single 777-200 or 787 has been reconfigured with Polaris seats, and many passengers are still finding themselves in a configuration with eight seats per row in business class

Is it true that no 777's have the new Polaris seat yet? Isnt UA in the slow season, soon to be entering the busy summer grind? Shouldnt UA have been working like the dickens to get as many of these Polaris mods done for S18 as possible? Thats truly unacceptable. Even more so, UA is still flying around birds with 8 across in J?

DL just sent its first 777 in for Mods, 2nd time around in fact for them. UA still hasnt even started the first mods on their own 777 fleet. Sad. Very sad and inexcusable.

Specifically, they’ve offered mattress pads, gel pillows, and slippers on request. They don’t load enough of these for all passengers, presumably to save money. A vast majority of passengers aren’t going to read the entire menu, and as a result, most people have no clue that all of these amenities are available in Polaris.

Shocking!

Sad.

United1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 pm

jetero wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
janders wrote:

Shocking!

Sad.

UA has a 772 in in XMN being Polarisized...it should be back in service in the middle of April. The priority was getting the 763 mods underway as the seats on the IPTE 763s are older than on the 777s. Just like DL prioritized retrofitting their 772s over other aircraft as the seats on those aircraft are the oldest lie flats in the fleet.

jetero

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm

United1 wrote:
jetero wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Shocking!

Sad.

UA has a 772 in in XMN being Polarisized...it should be back in service in the middle of April. The priority was getting the 763 mods underway as the seats on the IPTE 763s are older than on the 777s. Just like DL prioritized retrofitting their 772s over other aircraft as the seats on those aircraft are the oldest lie flats in the fleet.

But DL has 2. 2 is greater than 1! Listen to jumbojet!

United1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:30 pm

jetero wrote:
United1 wrote:
jetero wrote:

Shocking!

Sad.

2 what? 2 777s with DL Suites? DL just sent their first one in to be modified....

This is the 4th time UA has changed out their premium offering on the 777 since launching the aircraft.

F Class/J Class
1. Original Barco-Loungers in F/J
2. Lie Flats in F/Recaro Barco-Loungers in J
3. IPTE lie flat F/J
4. Polaris

VC10er

Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:20 pm

questions wrote:
VC10er wrote:
The original crystal “globe” cracked on dry ice.

Wow. Forgetting for a minute under-delivering on the full Polaris service concept, when I read this example and others, e.g., the Mimosa and Bloody Mary cart, I wonder how inept United’s Marketing/ Product Development group is!

Did United stress test service items prior to putting them into service? Food in glass packed with dry ice is certainly serious enough to be thoroughly tested.

Did they talk and listen to customers to understand what is really important and valued? Maybe they did but it doesn’t appear United used experienced and sophisticated marketers to interact with their customers to draw out the important insights required to develop a relevant offering.

This is not the 1960s and 70s when flying was still a novelty for most and passengers wanted to be wowed with elaborate, time-consuming meal service. Quality, choice, flexibility, consistency/dependability... so they can work, relax and sleep... served with a bit of class by people who love their jobs is what most upfront want.

I have no idea how much pre-testing United did, or the sample size of the testing they claim to have done with the new seat. I’m no insider.
From personal experience I know that a company “like” United would have done a lot of testing before spending as much as Polaris would cost to implement. I also know that when it comes to doing research with customers that it is very difficult to get a truly accurate read no matter the size of the quantitative and qualitative study, no matter the methodology.
I cannot speak to the stress testing that they (an airline) would do: eg; breaking glass bowls or service length times - but the former I would assume United hired a reputable 3rd party research firm and paid an astounding amount of money for it.
Just as an example: an exhaustive test of a packaging design for a consumer product could cost over $500,00 - and that would only be to gauge new graphics. I can imagine that Lufthansa spent at least that much on their new livery- yet after painting a couple birds they are going back to the paint shop for tweaks.

The ONLY real TRUE test is a market test. I would also assume that United saw the fleet of 77W’s as a way to get a true sense for consumer reactions in a controlled environment (gauge lift over current product and vs competition) They would be able to closely monitor every detail and adjust before going fleet-wide with refits.
In relation to the world of corporate blunders I’ve seen and learned of in my 30+ years- (I was once told LH never truly admitting the expensive disaster their angled J seat was) IMHO, the mistakes and adjustments United is going through are far from disasters. They learned a lot before the entire genie was out of the bottle. And the public (not us) will forget.

Nobody is more disappointed than me when it comes to rolling out the Polaris Lounges and aircraft refits as I am so locked into United especially at EWR (that major club was too awful for too long)...that being said I know there will be a time when this long wait will be in the past...a watched pot takes forever to boil and that is probably what United miscalculated the most. It’s also probably why I get update emails from them all the time...easing me along that the new experience is coming soon.

jumbojet

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:26 pm

United1 wrote:
jetero wrote:
United1 wrote:

2 what? 2 777s with DL Suites? DL just sent their first one in to be modified....

This is the 4th time UA has changed out their premium offering on the 777 since launching the aircraft.

F Class/J Class
3. IPTE lie flat F/J
4. Polaris

Allow me to reclarify. Delta's 777 fleet is already on their 2nd round of flatbed, direct aisle access seating whereas UA sitll cant even get their first one out of mods. Wouldntt you say that the UA 777 serves a much more important role than their 767? EWR-HKG VS. EWR - MAD, which one is more important? 16 months and not a single 777 mod done yet and only 5 767's. Combine that with the continued elimination of Polaris soft products and you wonder who was in charge of this program from the get go. Also, one can argue that why even bother modding the 767's. Waste of money in my eyes. The planes are old and won't even be around for a signifcant amount of time plus, the 76's are already flatbed. Why waste the CAPEX? Meanwhile, a significant # of UA's 787s will be flying around an old and vrery dated cabin for a very long time. Just a terrible business plan. Industry worst!!

VC10er

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm

I’m forced to agree with you on the 772. Given I fly out of EWR there are some VERY long flights that could really use Polaris- and sooner v later! HK, India, China...
While I prefer the size of a 767 and are on them probably more often, those United long hauls with no more First Class need Polaris

United1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:51 pm

jumbojet wrote:
United1 wrote:
jetero wrote:

F Class/J Class
3. IPTE lie flat F/J
4. Polaris

Allow me to reclarify. Delta's 777 fleet is already on their 2nd round of flatbed, direct aisle access seating whereas UA sitll cant even get their first one out of mods. Wouldntt you say that the UA 777 serves a much more important role than their 767? EWR-HKG VS. EWR - MAD, which one is more important? 16 months and not a single 777 mod done yet and only 5 767's. Combine that with the continued elimination of Polaris soft products and you wonder who was in charge of this program from the get go. Also, one can argue that why even bother modding the 767's. Waste of money in my eyes. The planes are old and won't even be around for a signifcant amount of time plus, the 76's are already flatbed. Why waste the CAPEX? Meanwhile, a significant # of UA's 787s will be flying around an old and vrery dated cabin for a very long time. Just a terrible business plan. Industry worst!!

I get it Jumbo you have an agenda...

Let me correct you on a few things:

1. UA had lie flats on their aircraft before AA or DL did and completed installing lie flats in F/J before either AA or DL did. You keep banging people over the head with the AAA thing...it's great its nice its lovely but it is way more important to you than it is to most people. I don't know about you but I don't spend of the time getting out of my seat...I spend most of it in.
2. A 777 is no more or less important than a 767 is. UA prioritized the 767s because they have the oldest interiors in the fleet just like DL is running the 777s and 764s through first because they have the oldest and worst interiors in their fleet.
3. UA stated they would begin 777 mods in 2018...it's 2018 and the first one is due out next month.
4. DL announced their vaunted suite product in August of 2016...they didn't even have it on an airplane until October of 2017...that's 15 months...UA launched Polaris in June of 2016 and had it in service in February of 2017 that is 9 months.
5. It's not a waste of capex to outfit the 763s with Polaris as they may be around longer than you think...
6. The 787s will get Polaris soon enough, right now the 767s and 777s are the priority.

Sean-SAN-

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm

It may take a while to reinstall seats or build lounges but UA could have accomplished a lot by simply improving catering and service. Instead, they simply stacked a ton of pillows on the existing old seats, and kept the old pitiful cheap catering. They also continue to staff international flight with less crew than in the past, which in turn degrades service.

jumbojet

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm

United1 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
United1 wrote:

F Class/J Class
3. IPTE lie flat F/J
4. Polaris

I get it Jumbo you have an agenda...

Let me correct you on a few things:

1. UA had lie flats on their aircraft before AA or DL did and completed installing lie flats in F/J before either AA or DL did. You keep banging people over the head with the AAA thing...it's great its nice its lovely but it is way more important to you than it is to most people. I don't know about you but I don't spend of the time getting out of my seat...I spend most of it in.
2. A 777 is no more or less important than a 767 is. UA prioritized the 767s because they have the oldest interiors in the fleet just like DL is running the 777s and 764s through first because they have the oldest and worst interiors in their fleet.
3. UA stated they would begin 777 mods in 2018...it's 2018 and the first one is due out next month.
4. DL announced their vaunted suite product in August of 2016...they didn't even have it on an airplane until October of 2017...that's 15 months...UA launched Polaris in June of 2016 and had it in service in February of 2017 that is 9 months.
5. It's not a waste of capex to outfit the 763s with Polaris as they may be around longer than you think...
6. The 787s will get Polaris soon enough, right now the 767s and 777s are the priority.

United1, I am not the only that thinks UA botched Polaris from the very beginning and continues to do so.

If United had any common sense, they would have made the 787's a priority and left the 767's as is. You have carriers from much less developed countries that are now flying planes with business class with all aisle access cabins. Delta has had all aisle access since 2014 on their widebody fleet whereas UA cant even get the ball rolling on their first go around. A very small percentage of their international fleet has direct aisle access.

Here is a quote from a Cranky Flier article that dates back to 2014:

Delta now says it has fully flat beds with direct aisle access in business class on all widebodies on overseas flights. Sounds like a lot of caveats, once again. In this case, however, Delta makes it easier to find what you’re getting. That’s good, because it has multiple different seats depending upon the aircraft type.
Let’s start with what this means overall. Like United it means Delta has fully flat beds in business class on all long haul, or as they say “overseas” flights. Unlike United, Delta guarantees direct aisle access for every seat. United doesn’t have that on any airplane it flies so that is a real differentiator.

http://crankyflier.com/2014/04/24/delta ... s-flights/

As for DL's 777 cabin refiits to the D1 suites, it was only first announced in May of last year. 7 months later, the first one is in mods. Not bad and a heck of a lot better than the time frame you provided above. No one knew where the suites would go outside of the 350.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/05/1 ... y-comfort/

chiawei

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
Austin787 wrote:
DL announced its Business suites in late 2016 to much fanfare, and as of now only the A350s have it.

How many other new long-haul aircraft has DL received since then though? That's the issue I see. Continuing to receive new aircraft with old seats means there was very little forward thinking.

The bigger issue I see is UA trying to open premium routes with the 789 with the old seats. Look at SFO-SIN. SQ is pretty consistently $700-1,000+ cheaper in J than UA and has a far superior hard and soft product. I just don't get it. If you're SFO based, why would you pay more to fly UA on a worse product? UA just doesn't have an interest in actually competing. They're great at marketing -- just following through they can't do successfully.

Hey- stop spilling the beans.

Don’t want SQ to jack up their prices!!!

glbltrvlr

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 am

I fly Polaris 3 or 4 times a year and after reading all the negative posts here, I wasn't sure what to expect from my next flight. Having just completed SFO-PVG, I have to say some people are greatly exaggerating the negatives.

Starting with the lounge situation at SFO. There's no more agent roulette - everyone goes into the old GS lounge at Gate 98. I was there from 8AM to 1PM. There was a small window between 9-10AM where it was SRO. The rest of the time was open seats. Not near as bad as the old international lounge that's being converted to Polaris. A small area to one side was reserved for GS, but I never saw anyone use it. My only criticism was the minimal buffet: fruit, nuts, sandwiches and drinks.

The 789 from SFO-PVG was fine although we were delayed 20 minutes on departure for a flat tire change. The double seat module behind my row was mechanically inop, which annoyed the person sitting behind me, but he admitted he was told this before accepting the upgrade. If not having someone climb over you is important, one third of the seats are aisle access with no partner seat (i.e. the middle seats).

Service was exactly as expected - friendly flight crew, PJs offered to those who requested, wine flight offered, and the much lamented sundae in a clear glass bowl was available. If memory serves, the original bowl was a smaller crystal globe. This one was clear glass, perhaps a little larger, bowl shape.

I'll be flying back from PEK on a 777W, so it will be interesting to compare seating. Bottom line, it is taking too long to do the conversions and club upgrades, but what's being offered now is fine.

OB1504

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am

B737900ER wrote:
Because you cripple the operation by having tiny subfleets.

Imagine you bought a ticket to fly from IAH-SCL and the polaris aircraft broke and was subbed for a non Polaris aircraft. No big deal, but down the line the customers who were expecting to coming back don’t have it, the flight the next day to AMS doesn’t have it, the flight to EWR won’t have it and when it turns around to GVA it won’t have it and every subsequent route that the aircraft will fly won’t have it, all the while you’ll have passengers who expect it and may have paid a premium for it.

You could confine them to certain stations and routes, but you still loose the operational flexibility that airlines rely on.

At one point in 2017 during the retrofits, AA had five subfleets with three different J products for a fleet of 47 777s, so it’s doable albeit a headache for passengers when there’s an aircraft swap.

LAXintl wrote:
Yes certainly seat retrofits can be complex, especially on the first frame and get it all certified. However, we also know airlines can very much push the process along by running multiple lines and also not waiting on having retrofits coincide with major checks. Its really a decision company can make of chooses.
For example, AA has pushed its 777 biz and now premium economy retrofits quite aggressively with multiple airplanes out of service back to back at vendors to get it done.

And AA even changed J seats halfway through because of issues with Zodiac.

B737900ER wrote:
Because of the nature of the operation you don’t know which flight will have Polaris more than seven days in advance, and that’s still a crap shoot.

Well, if no 787s or 777-200s have the product, then you could just not advertise it on flights scheduled with those aircraft. Equipment upgrades/downgrades are rare enough that it would be 99% reliable.

You keep using “the operation” as justification for UA’s botched rollout but AA and DL managed just fine.

MSPNWA

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 am

questions wrote:

There was extensive testing of the Polaris concept, more testing than I've heard of from any other American carrier recently. I think the slow drawdown is a typical evolution of U.S. carrier service. I think it's hard to have real-world testing since in a closed environment, knowledgeable testers overstate desire for certain amenities. In regular use the demand for items is lower. When margins are under pressure, cuts are made to try to correct it (why they follow this predictable, economically flawed "in good times spend, in rougher times cut" cycle is beyond me). Service cuts are an easy target. But I believe a big reason they are an easy target is because demand isn't significantly lost afterwards. It was common to hear reports of very few passengers actually caring about the enhanced soft product of Polaris class. They're cuts that largely only specific airline fans and click-bait travel writers care about. Some of the initial cuts to Polaris were consistent with early complaints. Now they've possibly moved to items that few actually cared about.

jumbojet wrote:

Beware of misleading travel writers that care more about clicks than giving you accurate and relevant information.

Lounges: If you read the article, it could easily cause one to believe that AA pumped out 4 lounges in 6 months. In reality, the AA lounges were announced in February 2016, about 4 months before Polaris. It took them 15 months for the 1st to open. It took them 22 months for the 4th. And keep in mind that some of the AA lounges are renovations, while the UA lounges are all new spaces or complete rebuilds. And the Polaris lounge design and benefits is a step up from the AA lounges. So it's true that UA badly missed their initial lounges estimates (which now looking back were way too optimistic, and they've been partially pushed back because of listening to customers and making them larger) but if they open 3 more this summer as scheduled and 1 more later this year, UA's pace is actually very comparable to AA's. Now neither can be called fast, but it's inaccurate to say or imply that AA is way ahead of the game.

Seats: When Polaris was launched, UA didn't give a timeline for retrofits. Sometime after they did give estimates, and they missed the initial 767 and 777 estimates slightly. But retrofits are going pretty much as scheduled. Of all people these bloggers should know how long the process takes with fleets this large, but of course that's not going to garner clicks. What I also think is sad is that DL has up to 10 year-old seats flying around in their longest range airplane with still some time to go before they're all replaced. They're actually older than the seats UA is replacing in their 777s (which were modded in the 2010-13 timeframe).

Good for DL on going on round 2. DL was also way behind when that 1st generation first flew in 2008 up until the final flat-beds were retrofitted in 2015. They were replacing recliners and angle-flats. The industry goes in cycles. UA was first at all lie-flats. DL was first at all-aisle access on widebodies, then were followed by AA. Now UA has the plans to be the first with a consistent widebody seat fleet-wide.

jumbojet wrote:
If United had any common sense, they would have made the 787's a priority and left the 767's as is. You have carriers from much less developed countries that are now flying planes with business class with all aisle access cabins. Delta has had all aisle access since 2014 on their widebody fleet whereas UA cant even get the ball rolling on their first go around. A very small percentage of their international fleet has direct aisle access.

As for DL's 777 cabin refiits to the D1 suites, it was only first announced in May of last year. 7 months later, the first one is in mods. Not bad and a heck of a lot better than the time frame you provided above. No one knew where the suites would go outside of the 350.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/05/1 ... y-comfort/

Replacing newer, more advanced seats like on UA's 787s while retaining the oldest, worst seats like on UA's 777s and 763s would be DL's play too. For example, DL's A330 plays longer, more important roles than the 767 in their fleet. But the A330 had newer, more modern seats, and so they were logically placed behind the 767s.

You're not correct on your DL 777 timeline. DL announced 777 retrofits when the new seat was announced in August 2016. 19 months later we're still waiting for the first to emerge.

https://news.delta.com/worlds-first-all ... -delta-one

jumbojet

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:58 am

UA Polaris has not matched what the original promise was.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos