Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flydude380
Topic Author

Woman berates flight attendant loses job

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:48 am

www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/delta-airlines ... -on-leave/

So, now the tables turn and all is silent on airliners.net. Hypocrisy? I guess this woman is in the right? After all, the customer is always right, according to most on here.

Well, now finally has someone finally managed to film the start of the incident , rather than the last few seconds! Just imagine if this woman was recording herself, the vast amount of people who’d be coming to her rescue!

I just want everyone to know that yes, there are a few bad apples that work in this industry. But, the majority are the ones getting the abuse - especially, from those that want to stick their phones in their faces and moan about the most trivial things, such as not getting their assigned seat! Believe me. I go through it!

ACDC8

Re: Woman berates flight attendant loses job

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 am

Good. Hopefully she has a very difficult time acquiring a new job.

bennett123

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 am

Actually this is not the full incident.

The passenger is accused of shouting at the baby. We do not see this happen.

Also the other DL incident, the abuse was only the culmination of a complete failure to do their job.

flydude380
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am

bennett123 wrote:
Actually this is not the full incident.

The passenger is accused of shouting at the baby. We do not see this happen.

Also the other DL incident, the abuse was only the culmination of a complete failure to do their job.

:shakes head:

mjoelnir

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

flydude380 wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/delta-airlines-susan-peirez-berating-flight-attendant-placed-on-leave/

So, now the tables turn and all is silent on airliners.net. Hypocrisy? I guess this woman is in the right? After all, the customer is always right, according to most on here.

Well, now finally has someone finally managed to film the start of the incident , rather than the last few seconds! Just imagine if this woman was recording herself, the vast amount of people who’d be coming to her rescue!

I just want everyone to know that yes, there are a few bad apples that work in this industry. But, the majority are the ones getting the abuse - especially, from those that want to stick their phones in their faces and moan about the most trivial things, such as not getting their assigned seat! Believe me. I go through it!

Yea, were is the talk about we do not know the whole story, there are always two sides and so on like when the airline or staff behaves badly?
There are not just a few bad apples in the industry and every time they are defended to the hilt here on a.net.

Of course that woman behaved badly and had it coming.

Jouhou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 am

At what point are flight attendants going to start wearing body cams. Also good. This lady is a type of person that needs to see consequences.

kelval

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

It's not right to lose her job over this, but I would have much more sympathy if she didn't threaten to get the attendant fired by the next day.
What goes around comes around.

EK413

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

Flight attendants don’t deserve abuse from anyone! They have enough to deal with & this passenger gets whatever comes her way!

EK413

bennett123

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 am

I agree that this ‘I will get you sacked’ and ‘do you know who I am’ attitude is out of order.

GBNWB

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am

There must be more to it than what was on the video as surely no one would get sacked for what we just saw. She must have been running her mouth at the flight attendant a bit more.

Jouhou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

It sounds more like she's been put on leave until the situation blows over. She works for someone in political office last thing they want is people being dirtbags and then flaunting who they work for. Not a good look.

Rookie87

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am

Jouhou wrote:
At what point are flight attendants going to start wearing body cams. Also good. This lady is a type of person that needs to see consequences.

I WISH omg I wish!
So now I wanna see what the a.net customer centric apologists have to say about this. It’s not often enough that a situation like this comes up.

mjoelnir

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I WISH omg I wish!
So now I wanna see what the a.net customer centric apologists have to say about this. It’s not often enough that a situation like this comes up.

I do not see anybody defending her.

flydude380
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Yup... just goes to show airliners.net has beef against airline employees.

It’s either jealousy and/or because they’re self-entitled and up their backsides :)

Gatorman96

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:20 pm

kelval wrote:
It's not right to lose her job over this...

Why not? She was the one who mentioned that she worked for Gov. Cuomo as a power move to scare off the flight attendant. No matter where you are or what you're doing, you represent your employer and she made a complete fool out of her employer and ultimately herself. She learned a valuable lesson the hard way.

hOMSaR

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:21 pm

flydude380 wrote:

It’s either jealousy and/or because they’re self-entitled and up their backsides :)

Are you reading the same thread I am? Where are you getting this? For that matter, what evidence do you have that “most” (i.e. more than 50%) a.net members think the customer is always right?

cranberrysaus

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm

flydude380 wrote:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

yhu

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm

flydude380 wrote:

I have been on this site for 18 years, I'm an airline employee, and I have not seen that to be the case. I find people here side with the airline employee at least 50% of the time, usually more.

CobaltScar

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:16 pm

sweet justice

The rampant rudeness and insubordination these days towards crew is a safety risk.

flydude380
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:30 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
sweet justice

The rampant rudeness and insubordination these days towards crew is a safety risk.

I agree!

Samrnpage

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm

There shouldn even be a "who sides with who". If you cannot make a judgement on each individual case where there is an issue between customers and flight attendants then maybe you shouldnt judge yourself. Some cases are the flight attendants fault. Some are the passengers. If you chose a side based of a rediculous concept of "taking sides" youre an idiot.

Either way. From what we know of this case it does seem a little harsh for her to lose her job however she was a dick on this flight.

KLDC10

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
Either way. From what we know of this case it does seem a little harsh for her to lose her job however she was a dick on this flight.

That's a major problem that occurs when people film an altercation and decide to post it all over the internet. Frankly, this incident isn't really worthy of press coverage, and the whole thing should have ended at the point the woman was asked to vacate the aircraft. But, thanks to the "wonders" of social media, now thousands of people have watched the whole thing online, making an everyday occurrence (because, let's face it, there are lots of rude people who fly) into some kind of national scandal.

Samrnpage

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

That's a major problem that occurs when people film an altercation and decide to post it all over the internet. Frankly, this incident isn't really worthy of press coverage, and the whole thing should have ended at the point the woman was asked to vacate the aircraft. But, thanks to the "wonders" of social media, now thousands of people have watched the whole thing online, making an everyday occurrence (because, let's face it, there are lots of rude people who fly) into some kind of national scandal.

I agree, maybe shes a dick at work as well and this gave her boss the perfect reason to send her away. Either way i do know of a case where a person was filmed being a abusive to an elderly gentlemen. Got shared millions of times, the guy in the video got so much hate he comitted suicide leaving a family behind. Turns out the elderly gentlemen pulled a knife out on one of his the guys kids.

You never get full picture.

KLDC10

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
I agree, maybe shes a dick at work as well and this gave her boss the perfect reason to send her away. Either way i do know of a case where a person was filmed being a abusive to an elderly gentlemen. Got shared millions of times, the guy in the video got so much hate he comitted suicide leaving a family behind. Turns out the elderly gentlemen pulled a knife out on one of his the guys kids.

You never get full picture.

I'm sorry to hear about that story. In this day and age, the mobile phone can be quite a powerful tool. Unfortunately, it is all too often placed in the hands of the irresponsible and the attention-seeking. Your post illustrates the worst that could happen as a result, but even just losing your job as a result of a viral internet video has the potential to ruin your life - at least in the short term. I wish people would think twice before posting sometimes.

bgm

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Perhaps with the constant filming of incidents, it might incentivize both airline employees and passengers to behave better. A win-win for everyone.

jmmadrid

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Ok, I know this post is not going to make me very popular but I share the woman's concerns about sitting THE WHOLE FLIGHT next to a crying baby.
Of course I wouldn't threaten anybody and would definitely not take it out on the FA, but a nonstop crying baby overwhelms me. I think airlines need some kind of policy, as I do not see why someone has to put up quietly with a situation that usually annoys even the baby's parents. Also, consider there's no escape. If it happens on a train, bus, etc, you can seat somewhere else, but on a plane that is rarely possible. A few months ago on a flight LGW-MAD I had to sit for 2+ hours next to a child with autism. I had the opportunity not just to hear his screams, but also saw how he spit his mother on the face several times, grabbed his mother's hair and pulled with all his strenght, did not stop kicking, etc. Yes I know, it's not his fault, etc, but why should other passengers have to endure that?

777PHX

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm

flydude380 wrote:

Yes, we're all insanely jealous of your $12/hr customer service job.

Kno

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

This is news? Really? And something we need to discuss here?

I don't understand why every minor confrontation in America is becoming viral. Yes some people behave badly sometimes in public when they are frustrated. Sometimes people need to be kicked off a plane. Sometimes employees represent the company poorly and need to be let go. Life goes on the world keeps turning. It's really not that interesting.

Noise

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 pm

EK413 wrote:
Flight attendants don’t deserve abuse from anyone! They have enough to deal with & this passenger gets whatever comes her way!

EK413

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

twicearound

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 pm

jmmadrid wrote:
Ok, I know this post is not going to make me very popular but I share the woman's concerns about sitting THE WHOLE FLIGHT next to a crying baby.
Of course I wouldn't threaten anybody and would definitely not take it out on the FA, but a nonstop crying baby overwhelms me. I think airlines need some kind of policy, as I do not see why someone has to put up quietly with a situation that usually annoys even the baby's parents. Also, consider there's no escape. If it happens on a train, bus, etc, you can seat somewhere else, but on a plane that is rarely possible. A few months ago on a flight LGW-MAD I had to sit for 2+ hours next to a child with autism. I had the opportunity not just to hear his screams, but also saw how he spit his mother on the face several times, grabbed his mother's hair and pulled with all his strenght, did not stop kicking, etc. Yes I know, it's not his fault, etc, but why should other passengers have to endure that?

welcome to society, where we all have to interact with each other whenever we step outside the house. If you don't want to "endure" you could fly private.

klm617

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm

bennett123 wrote:
I agree that this ‘I will get you sacked’ and ‘do you know who I am’ attitude is out of order.

But we make people this way by all the preferential treatment we give people that have some sort of social affluence we let them think they are better than others and that's what needs to stop even here on a.net I've seen that people post that when you pay a higher fare you are entitled to preferential treatment which is not the case the higher fare you paid is for a better seat and better service but as far as one persons value over another you didn't pay extra for that. In the Delta video the customer was not belligerent he just want his suitcase and for his travel ordeal to be over. When anyone disrespects another of course they should be called out for that but when some questions why they can't get their issue resolves that doesn't warrant an attack.

klm617

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm

jmmadrid wrote:

She could have made her request in a respectful way to be moved end of story. It's not a perfect world and I'm sure there are things that you do that would annoy others if people were more tolerant of others this world would be a much better place. I once flew with a plane load of people with down syndrome from MCO who were extremely talkative and I was more than happy to oblige their inquires knowing full well how blessed I was for not having the same condition. Be thankful for not having autism rather than shunning someone who has that condition.

NeBaNi

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:37 pm

What the passenger did was despicable, and she seems to have had to face the consequences by getting fired. I mean, who does that? "I'll get you fired?" :sarcastic:

Samrnpage wrote:
There shouldn even be a "who sides with who". If you cannot make a judgement on each individual case where there is an issue between customers and flight attendants then maybe you shouldnt judge yourself. Some cases are the flight attendants fault. Some are the passengers. If you chose a side based of a rediculous concept of "taking sides" youre an idiot.

Agreed. It's also interesting to note that none of the airline apologists on this site have anything to say about the woman getting recorded (without her consent or even knowledge), unlike the outrage over the DL customer service agent getting recorded at PDX.

Revelation

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I WISH omg I wish!

That's what should happen. Good luck getting FAs to wear them, though. The ones that have unions will toss a hissy fit because they know what it will show.

caoimhin

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 pm

yhu wrote:
flydude380 wrote:

I have been on this site for 18 years, I'm an airline employee, and I have not seen that to be the case. I find people here side with the airline employee at least 50% of the time, usually more.

I reckon it depends on the airline. There are a handful of carriers who will always be at fault, no matter the circumstance.

Edit: The Spirit rodent incident was the first time I’ve seen the majority acknowledge the fault of the passenger in a case involving that carrier.

coolian2

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:06 pm

A.net is not sympathetic enough towards airline staff? Excluding the armchair CEOs who are deferential to their shareholders and profit (both dreamed), this forum can't move fast enough to defend airline staff.

kiowa

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm

bennett123 wrote:

Years ago a powerful politician from Chicago named Dan Rostenkowski used the "do you know who I am?" on a cop when he was pulled over for drunk driving. I am told the cop very politely responded "yes sir, you are under arrest"

great line that I will always remember. Rosty went down in flames shortly after that.

Billthe3rd

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:29 pm

If most modes of transportation these days have cameras, why not have the cabin completely covered? Your Uber driver has a camera on you to cover his ass, why not the airlines?

bennett123

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 pm

The other response is ‘sorry, no I do not know who you are’

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:16 pm

#FA Lives Matter

ltbewr

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm

The woman was caught on camera being a jerk and as her employer is an agency of the Government of the State of NY, she is subject to employment agreements to not bring shame or disrespect to the State or agency or use her government position for personal benefit. Violations can mean from suspension with/without pay to termination. Private employers can and will do the same.

jmmadrid

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm

twicearound wrote:
jmmadrid wrote:

welcome to society, where we all have to interact with each other whenever we step outside the house. If you don't want to "endure" you could fly private.

I agree, but it works both ways... in order to interact with each other you should not "do things" that bother other people or invade other people's space. For example if people are not allowed to take their shoes off on a plane and offer the other passengers the pleasure of smelling their stinky feet, why should the ear be trated differently than the nose?
Maybe it's the woman with an autistic child that should fly private? :) :)

ck8msp

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 pm

I hope that this is a leave without pay. However, since it is a government job, I doubt it. AFAIK her job has not been lost yet, and I doubt she will. Just a little time out.

slider

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I generally think that the court of public opinion has done more detriment to some people's reputations and lives prematurely and the social media lynch mobs are sometimes out of control.

But in this case, Susan Peirez just screwed her entire job, career, reputation and has had her name plastered all over the place because, well, candidly, she was a total bitch. Consequences aren't always proportional to the action, and she's learning that the hard way.

Sometimes FAs (and airline employees in general) can be a little reactionary, but I think Tabitha did just fine by saying "off the plane" right away. Susan backed down and realized she was in deep shit. Good luck, Susan...hope your moronic diatribe was worth it.

Chemist

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 pm

There's a saying that to tell the true character of a person, see how they treat hired help (waiter/waitress, maid....or in this case a FA).
This isn't a nice person. Karma is a bitch.

seat24charlie

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm

flydude380 wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/delta-airlines-susan-peirez-berating-flight-attendant-placed-on-leave/

What on earth are you talking about? Every time an employee is caught behaving badly, this entire forum finds every possible excuse to berate the customer.

Talk about living in a bubble of alternative facts. My goodness.

spacecadet

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 pm

GBNWB wrote:
There must be more to it than what was on the video as surely no one would get sacked for what we just saw.

The problem is that she invoked her job in a threat towards the flight attendant. It may not be obvious to those who don't live here (she says it kind of off-camera and it's hard to hear), but at one point she definitely says she works for Governor Cuomo and then that the flight attendant may not have a job tomorrow.

If she hadn't done that, then I'd say this is just a private matter that shouldn't really affect somebody's employment if they're not some sort of public face of the company (she's not doing PR or anything for Cuomo, from what I understand). But since she brought her job into it, and used it as a threat, that's going to reflect on the Governor's office itself if nothing is done.

gunnerman

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm

It's a flight of about 1h 25m. So what if a baby is crying? These things happen, you should expect it and put up with it or buy a first class ticket.

winginit

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 pm

flydude380 wrote:

Can't tell if you're being serious or not? I get that you're new here, but a.net hardly has a beef against industry employees in most of our experiences.

KentB27

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 am

This has nothing to do with her job at all. In my opinion, what people do off the clock is none of their employers business as long as it does not affect their performance on the job. I don't think she should lose her job over this or even be placed on leave, however most states in the US are at-will employment states, which means any employee can be fired with no notice at any time for any reason or no reason at all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos