Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Mahan Air covertly bought parts from U.S. suppliers

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 am

link/source: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iranian-ai ... suppliers/

"The U.S. has suspended the export privileges of a Turkish national and three related companies it says obtained American-made aircraft parts for Iranian airlines, violating U.S. sanctions. "

"According to the Commerce Department, Turkish national Gulnihal Yegane set up shell companies to purchase equipment from U.S. suppliers on behalf of Iran's Mahan Air. The carrier is under sanctions by the U.S. for allegedly carrying arms and fighters in Syria. The jet parts were obtained through the Turkish fronts in the past several years, most recently in December."

AA737-823

Re: Mahan Air covertly bought parts from U.S. suppliers

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 am

I don't know why this comes as a surprise to anyone.
They're keeping those planes flying somehow...
And, frankly, I'm not sure how this is any "worse" than Mahan and other Iranian airlines ending up with aircraft that came from Lufthansa. There may have been a middle man, I suppose, but in the end, if a country wants to buy a plane, they'll find a way, and there's not much that anyone can do about it.

Samrnpage

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 am

What I dont get is America will supply Arms to Iran, but not let them do anything else. Its so weird and hypocritical.

Jouhou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 am

Samrnpage wrote:
What I dont get is America will supply Arms to Iran, but not let them do anything else. Its so weird and hypocritical.

Exactly how does the US supply arms to Iran again? There's hypocrisy to be found here, but let's stick to facts.

gunsontheroof

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 am

Samrnpage wrote:

Are you referring to the air force? All of those aircraft are pre-revolution. The U.S. was Iran's main arms supplier for years, but anything since 1979 has been off the books, so to speak.

jordanh

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 am

AA737-823 wrote:
I don't know why this comes as a surprise to anyone. They're keeping those planes flying somehow... and, frankly, I'm not sure how this is any "worse" than Mahan and other Iranian airlines ending up with aircraft that came from Lufthansa. There may have been a middle man, I suppose, but in the end, if a country wants to buy a plane, they'll find a way, and there's not much that anyone can do about it.

:checkmark: It is ludicrous and counter-productive for any government to disallow its manufacturers from selling parts to civilian airliners, regardless of what you think of the country in which that airline is based.

TWA772LR

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:02 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Are you referring to the air force? All of those aircraft are pre-revolution. The U.S. was Iran's main arms supplier for years, but anything since 1979 has been off the books, so to speak.

Don't forget Iran/Contra.

aemoreira1981

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 pm

jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
I don't know why this comes as a surprise to anyone. They're keeping those planes flying somehow... and, frankly, I'm not sure how this is any "worse" than Mahan and other Iranian airlines ending up with aircraft that came from Lufthansa. There may have been a middle man, I suppose, but in the end, if a country wants to buy a plane, they'll find a way, and there's not much that anyone can do about it.

:checkmark: It is ludicrous and counter-productive for any government to disallow its manufacturers from selling parts to civilian airliners, regardless of what you think of the country in which that airline is based.

Unless the airline is alleged to be a front for a designated foreign terrorist organization. Mahan Air is alleged to be controlled by the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been formally designated as a terrorist organization by the US Department of State for its role in the Syrian conflict; many senior IRGC members also hold key management positions in Mahan Aitz That is why this is an issue specific to Mahan Air.

persiangulf93

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

Unless the airline is alleged to be a front for a designated foreign terrorist organization. Mahan Air is alleged to be controlled by the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been formally designated as a terrorist organization by the US Department of State for its role in the Syrian conflict. That is why this is an issue specific to Mahan Air.

Trump didn't designate the IRGC as a foreign terrorist organization. Instead he sanctioned some entities.

Spacepope

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

It's the entire point of sanctions. It's how other governments put pressure on civilian populaces to get them to enact governmental change. I'm not saying it's a nice way to do things, it's just Realpolotik.

aemoreira1981

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:07 pm

persiangulf93 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
jordanh wrote:

Unless the airline is alleged to be a front for a designated foreign terrorist organization. Mahan Air is alleged to be controlled by the Iran Revolutionary Guard Corps, which has been formally designated as a terrorist organization by the US Department of State for its role in the Syrian conflict. That is why this is an issue specific to Mahan Air.

Trump didn't designate the IRGC as a foreign terrorist organization. Instead he sanctioned some entities.

Which includes the IRGC, who basically run Mahan.

persiangulf93

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
persiangulf93 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Which includes the IRGC, who basically run Mahan.

Mahan was already sanctioned way before Trump came in office...

bhxdtw

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm

So, if the IRGC controls Mahan.. Does it exist to make profit like any other airline? I mean it has flights to various cities outside of Iran, weirdly enough they even had flights to my old hometown of BHX (with some interesting / humorous stories I understand)
As far as progression goes, do they invest in keeping up with other airlines products like new interiors, better seats, etc... Very interested.

TC957

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Lots of $$$ to shady middle men's pockets will always get round sanctions.

jetblueguy22

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm

jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

Take off the blinders. Sanctions are supposed to hurt, and airlines are a great way to hit a country hard.

WIederling

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:

Don't forget Iran/Contra.

And Reagan as a candidate POTUS illegally hampered the sitting POTUS in doing his job.
GOP at its best.

jordanh

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

Take off the blinders. Sanctions are supposed to hurt, and airlines are a great way to hit a country hard.

The blinders seem to be on the eyes of people who think sanctions are successful. The subject of this thread shows they are not.

Flyingsottsman

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 am

jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

Yes, but its what they are using those aircraft for?

Jouhou

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 am

Spacepope wrote:
jordanh wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

It's the entire point of sanctions. It's how other governments put pressure on civilian populaces to get them to enact governmental change. I'm not saying it's a nice way to do things, it's just Realpolotik.

Erm. No, in modern days sanctions have become more targeted towards entities that are actually drawing international ire and minimizing impact on civilians wherever possible. See russian sanctions.

Have you seen the militias in Iran? What exactly do you think regular civilians are supposed to do? It's not really a country where civilians will be able to make anything change fast.

345tas

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am

The very, very weird thing about this is that an American company twice (they say, unwittingly) sold A340s to Syrian Airlines and Mahan Air (the second attempt was unsuccessful) through intermediaries in 2016.

And then in 2017 front companies in the UAE helped Mahan procure two further A340s from Athens. Not a single entity involved in these deals has faced any action whatsoever from the US gov't. Yet they swoop in on spare parts suppliers?

I can't provide a link because of the forum rules on self-promotion but you can Google some keywords to find the story.

Aesma

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:04 am

Spacepope wrote:

Realpolitik applies to things that aren't pretty but work. These sanctions aren't pretty and don't work. Just like the embargo on Cuba.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos