Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

APettyJ
Topic Author

PHL buys more land in effort to bolster shipping

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/r ... 80212.html

A massive, mostly vacant land parcel beside Philadelphia International Airport could become a bustling shipping hub for everything from medicine to car parts under a plan to develop the site into a new air-freight complex serving a swath of the northeastern United States.

The airport last month acquired control of the so-called Henderson Tract, which sprawls 135 acres — an area similar in size to the entire King of Prussia Mall and its parking lots — to the immediate west of its passenger terminals.

The move caps a years-long battle over the fate of the property in Tinicum Township, Delaware County, and is a first step by Philadelphia toward cashing in on its location among some of the nation’s biggest population centers in hopes of becoming a major air-freight power.

Up for grabs could be an estimated $50 billion in air-cargo business generated in the Philadelphia region, all but 9 percent of which is now lost to airports to the south, in Baltimore and Washington, and to the north, in New York and Newark, N.J., because Philadelphia doesn’t have the capacity to take it on, said James Tyrrell, the airport’s chief revenue officer.

Despite its name, the area to the northeast of the Henderson land known as Cargo City is mostly used for purposes other than shipping, such as American Airlines Inc.’s catering facility, Tyrrell said.

“We have not been involved, for all intents and purposes, in the cargo business,” he said. “And we want to get involved.”

The city took possession of the Henderson property on Jan. 19 for $54.5 million in compensation after settling litigation over past efforts to condemn the land for airport use, an airport spokeswoman said.

The city could wind up paying more to the property’s former owners, the Henderson Group development company and related entities, if a panel to be convened by the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas determines that its fair market value is higher.

Henderson representatives have in the past accused the city of trying to acquire the land, undeveloped but for two now-vacant industrial buildings, for less than its actual value. Henderson Group spokesman Kevin Feeley declined last week to comment on the deal with the city.

The land’s acquisition — like all airport activities — is being financed through fees paid by airlines to use the facility, as will its redevelopment at a cost that is yet to be established, Tyrell said.

Tyrrell said that it was not yet clear what form the air-cargo facility would take but that there appears to be demand among shippers for facilities with space to park planes near warehouses for easy loading and unloading.

A mid-January workshop held to present the site to potential future users was attended by representatives of FedEx Corp. and of Amazon Air, the growing air-shipping subsidiary of the e-commerce giant with a hub in Hebron, Ky., near Cincinnati, among others, Tyrrell said.

“We’re looking for the leaders in the industry to tell us how we can take advantage of this opportunity,” he said.

A message left with FedEx was not returned. An Amazon spokesman said he had no details to provide about the company’s interest in Philadelphia’s air-shipping expansion.

The air-freight company with the most significant current Philadelphia foothold is United Parcel Service Inc., which employs 3,100 at a hub on 212 acres along Hog Island Road. It includes a 681,000-square-foot sorting building and a 50-acre aircraft ramp.

Brandon Stallard, chief executive of Troy, Mich.-based supply chain management company TPS Logistics, said he can imagine the facility being used by pharmaceutical companies to rush drugs to market or by car manufacturers speeding auto equipment from cargo ships to their final U.S. destinations during recalls.

“There’s just a heck of a lot of volume that happens on the East Coast,” said Stallard, who is not involved with the proposal.

Airport officials are beginning preliminary work on the project, such as determining whether any environmental remediation or wetland habitat restoration work will be needed, Tyrell said. The project also will require working with Delaware County and Tinicum Township to relocate Tinicum Island Road, which separates the Henderson land from the airport itself.

Harold Epps, director of the city’s Commerce Department, which operates the airport, said he sees the air-freight expansion plan, along with the deepening of the Delaware River navigation channel and updates to the Port of Philadelphia’s terminals, as part of a larger effort to take advantage of the city’s central location along the mid-Atlantic Seaboard.

With flight paths and shipping lanes much less crowded than those in the New York and Washington areas, Philadelphia should be an attractive gateway to the densely populated region, Epps said.

“We have just under-leveraged our location and our assets at both ports, and now we’re beginning to recognize the value they can add to the supply chain,” Epps said. “Our location gives us a significant capability to be a feeder for the region and the rest of the state.”

usairways85

Re: PHL buys more land in effort to bolster shipping

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Interesting development. I believe this land was supposed to be dedicated to the relocation of the UPS facility. But with the additional runway project on permanent hold and your previous posts that sound like UPS is expanding it's current footprint I guess the airport wanted to see how else they could use the land. Outside of UPS, PHL's cargo facilities are pretty minimal. Even Fedex only has room to park ~4 aircraft.

WPvsMW

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 pm

PHL aerotropolis? "could become" is the operative phrase, just like PNE or ILG "could become" a cargo hub.

OslPhlWasChi

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:14 pm

usairways85 wrote:
Interesting development. I believe this land was supposed to be dedicated to the relocation of the UPS facility. But with the additional runway project on permanent hold and your previous posts that sound like UPS is expanding it's current footprint I guess the airport wanted to see how else they could use the land. Outside of UPS, PHL's cargo facilities are pretty minimal. Even Fedex only has room to park ~4 aircraft.

Yes I think its a real guessing game at this point as to what, if anything, will happen in the next 3-5 years here. Obviously the parcel is a strategic acquisition even if the prior plan doesn't come to fruition. However, given that UPS isn't being forcibly relocated by a new runway, the cargo city vision for this parcel would need to come out of demand and voluntary expansion. I don't have the knowledge about cargo ops and if such demand/potential truly exists, but the lack of push from the new runway makes me even less confident the cargo city development will happen in the near term.

So that begs the question - is there a better use for this parcel than for cargo expansion? Or is it best to simply hold the area until such cargo expansion does happen or a better use reveals itself?

leader1

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Not sure how this would play into this, but isn't Philadelphia still on the shortlist for Amazon's HQ2? This could be a way of bolstering the city's bid.

OslPhlWasChi

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm

leader1 wrote:
Not sure how this would play into this, but isn't Philadelphia still on the shortlist for Amazon's HQ2? This could be a way of bolstering the city's bid.

I am highly skeptical the ability of PHL to accommodate new cargo facilities would have any impact on Philadelphia's HQ2 bid based on the timing of this with the selection process, cargo facilities not being a part of the selection criteria, and Amazon's corporate and cargo facilities historically being in completely different locations without issue.

You do bring up a good point in terms of Amazon's potential cargo expansion as a candidate for new cargo facilities on this parcel - independent of whether or not Amazon picks Philadelphia for HQ2.

lowfareair

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm

This gives them lots of breathing room for growth - they could expand new cargo into the space, move UPS there and put in an additional runway (or use it to replace 27R), they could move economy parking there and add a Terminal G AND move most of the Cargo City facilities there to put in add a large satellite to terminal A.

This has huge long-term implications for PHL.

crownvic

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:08 am

Are there any maps to show this parcel? Apparently, you have to be a subscriber. As we know, PHL is restricted to the south by the fuel docks/Delaware River. I thought the area north of the terminals (and to the south) is part of the wetlands that are also protected, causing impeding of further airport development?

ikramerica

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 am

leader1 wrote:

HQ2 is going to be in a state with low or no taxes, not a high tax location like philly. North West Dallas/Fort Worth is a good bet...

acentauri

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 am

ikramerica wrote:
leader1 wrote:

HQ2 is going to be in a state with low or no taxes, not a high tax location like philly. North West Dallas/Fort Worth is a good bet...

The Eastern U.S. is a better bet. I doubt Amazon cares about Corporate Taxes, since most bidders likely forgave/reduced it for X Years in their proposals, including Philly. Philly etal could care less (well almost) about Corporate or Real-Estate taxes, when they have 50K new employee City Wage Tax contributors.

r2rho

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:08 pm

This gives them lots of breathing room for growth - they could expand new cargo into the space, move UPS there and put in an additional runway (or use it to replace 27R), they could move economy parking there and add a Terminal G AND move most of the Cargo City facilities there to put in add a large satellite to terminal A.

I agree - more land buys them more flexibility for expanding in the future in various ways, as you propose. That to me is much more important for PHL in the long term than whatever additional cargo is handled (which is a good short term benefit). What you are proposing makes a lot of sense.

usairways85

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm

crownvic wrote:
Are there any maps to show this parcel? Apparently, you have to be a subscriber. As we know, PHL is restricted to the south by the fuel docks/Delaware River. I thought the area north of the terminals (and to the south) is part of the wetlands that are also protected, causing impeding of further airport development?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Philadelphia+International+Airport/@39.8680532,-75.2692152,1127m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c6c46660a9832f:0x3e2e15944637d3d8!8m2!3d39.8743959!4d-75.2424229

Immediately adjacent to the FedEx facility

OslPhlWasChi

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:09 pm

r2rho wrote:

I agree - more land buys them more flexibility for expanding in the future in various ways, as you propose. That to me is much more important for PHL in the long term than whatever additional cargo is handled (which is a good short term benefit). What you are proposing makes a lot of sense.

Can anyone confirm if PHL has already acquired International Plaza (the office park just west of Terminal A-West)?
I thought they had but am not sure.

If so, they should have contiguous land control now from Terminal A-West all the way to the existing developed areas in Tinicum Township west of the newly acquired parcel. And exactly as yall mention - there is unbelievable long-term potential.

crownvic

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:01 am

usairways85 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Philadelphia+International+Airport/@39.8680532,-75.2692152,1127m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c6c46660a9832f:0x3e2e15944637d3d8!8m2!3d39.8743959!4d-75.2424229

Thanks for the info. One of the things I have always noticed with PHL is and we all know, it is very restricted with it's borders. However, it is my opinion that they don't make maximum use of the valuable land that airport has. For example, the amount of space occupied by the Economy lot north of the F gates, the entire area along Island Ave (where the old Overseas Terminal was) and the south border along the river by the fuel farms could be better utilized. Of course, I don't know the politics that are involved in developing these areas, but I am sure that comes into play. It just seems to me a better job could be done utilizing what little they have.

APettyJ
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:27 am

usairways85 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

The area between FedEx and Tinicum Island Rd is the former USPS airport facility. UPS was to be moved here, and in fact UPS uses the lot to the north of the building to store trailers. The Henderson Tract is all of the land to the west of Tinicum Island Rd, including the small industrial park on Diplomat Rd. It will apparently include a small section of land through which Conrail Chester Secondary line runs through; this line serves the Delta Airlines-owned refinery, among other businesses.

As for International Plazas I and II, apparently the city did acquire it, but for now it is still occupied, although recently the airport's rideshare lot, where Uber and Lyft drivers wait for calls, was relocated to the parking lots closest to Terminal A-West. The company PHL bought the complex from still runs the leasing of office space. Whenever the airport decides to use the land, then the businesses will be relocated: https://www.phillymag.com/property/2015/05/26/international-plaza-philadelphia-airport-expansion/ I cannot find anything on the fate of the bill, whether it passed or not.

phljjs

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:29 am

OslPhlWasChi wrote:

Can anyone confirm if PHL has already acquired International Plaza (the office park just west of Terminal A-West)?
I thought they had but am not sure.

If so, they should have contiguous land control now from Terminal A-West all the way to the existing developed areas in Tinicum Township west of the newly acquired parcel. And exactly as yall mention - there is unbelievable long-term potential.

The purchase of International Plaza was completed a while back. It's referenced in the next to last paragraph in this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... acres.html

So far, there are no immediate plans to close the buildings and knock them down.

WPvsMW

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Between FX and 5X, any major expansion is more likely via 5X, since FX is currently expanding its hubs at IND and MEM.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/new ... e-and.html

5X growth at PHL is iffy, given's 5X' current expansion at ONT and EMA.
https://www.pressroom.ups.com/pressroom ... 950312-666
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... 14m-793091

Adding the Henderson tract is a certainly a plus, but the airport authority's Plan B (one without FX or 5X) better be good.

APettyJ
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:19 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Between FX and 5X, any major expansion is more likely via 5X, since FX is currently expanding its hubs at IND and MEM.
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/new ... e-and.html

5X growth at PHL is iffy, given's 5X' current expansion at ONT and EMA.
https://www.pressroom.ups.com/pressroom ... 950312-666
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... 14m-793091

Adding the Henderson tract is a certainly a plus, but the airport authority's Plan B (one without FX or 5X) better be good.

UPS is set to undertake a major expansion of PHL in 2019, the site prep work of which has already begun, to relieve pressure on Louisville (SDF). Already, several flights have been re-added to the night sort after being sent to SDF back in 2009. In addition, flights from OAK and PHX have been added to the day sort. Once the work set to begin in 2019 is complete, PHL is supposed to take on a large amount of work.

WPvsMW

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:29 am

That's very promising. Those plans are not in the 5X media releases that I've been able to find. The most recent UPS news about PHL on 5X' website is from 1989...
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/09/19 ... 622180800/

There's plenty of boosterism on philly.com, of course, but that's normal.

I hope a major UPS expansion happens, but an alternate reading is "the current UPS facility at PHL would be moved if the 5th runway is built, and being forced to new facility, the new UPS facility should be bigger; however, given a new runway is no longer planned, UPS is OK with incremental growth at its present facility."

How is the airport authority connecting the dots?

I agree with this article: https://www.phillymag.com/business/2017 ... ew-runway/

Will more 5X flights add to delays at PHL?

How can LGA, with 2 runways and very few WBs, handle the same amount of pax traffic as PHL, which has 4 runways and no limit on WBs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ted_States

WPvsMW

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am

Correction... "How can LGA, with 2 runways and no WBs,..."
viewtopic.php?t=1362005

APettyJ
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:37 pm

I should point out I know of the 5X PHL expansion because I work there. The airport runway project has been suspended, which when that became apparent is when UPS decided to make over ahead with the expansion project. Right now the building is being automated to a large degree, and the expansion will bring even more automation. Rumor is a lot of the workforce will be laid off, but other area facilities are often chronically understaffed and should help to balance things out.

WPvsMW

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Bottom line, I applaud 5X' growth in PHL, but I don't see a new FX or 5X facility on the Henderson Tract.

usairways85

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm

It's worth noting that PHL Air Freight volume (tonnage) is up 24% YoY through May. Which is very much in line with what APettyJ has alluded to.

I've noticed quite a few additional 5X flights with charter 767's being used on MIA/MCO-PHL

lightsaber

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 pm

OslPhlWasChi wrote:
leader1 wrote:

I am highly skeptical the ability of PHL to accommodate new cargo facilities would have any impact on Philadelphia's HQ2 bid based on the timing of this with the selection process, cargo facilities not being a part of the selection criteria, and Amazon's corporate and cargo facilities historically being in completely different locations without issue.

You do bring up a good point in terms of Amazon's potential cargo expansion as a candidate for new cargo facilities on this parcel - independent of whether or not Amazon picks Philadelphia for HQ2.

With tax relief and a cargo hub, it could be a boost for HQ2. Amazon wants sorting centers and a cargo hub co-located. Is the plot of land big enough? Is the road access sufficient for a flood of Amazon trucks?

I would bet this land is for trying to attract Amazon...

Notice I said trying. I have no insight currently into Amazon's cargo hub plans or HQ2 goals other than the normal press and PR.

Lightsaber

flyPIT

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 pm

lightsaber wrote:
With tax relief and a cargo hub, it could be a boost for HQ2. Amazon wants sorting centers and a cargo hub co-located. Is the plot of land big enough? Is the road access sufficient for a flood of Amazon trucks?

I would bet this land is for trying to attract Amazon...

Notice I said trying. I have no insight currently into Amazon's cargo hub plans or HQ2 goals other than the normal press and PR.

Lightsaber

Being a cargo hub or logistics center will have nothing to so with the HQ2 selection process.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos