ual763
Topic Author
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 am

Not sure why my original was deleted, the language was asterisked... But anyways, I will refrain from using any asterisked words in this one. You can see for yourself the vulgarities used in the link below.

Anyways, Delta seems to have made it "right" with the customer. Employee was suspended and customer was apologized to and received $200 voucher.

http://www.kgw.com/article/travel/watch ... -518335264
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
thegoldenargosy
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 am

The passenger probably deserved it.
 
ual763
Topic Author
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:23 am

thegoldenargosy wrote:
The passenger probably deserved it.


Wouldn't doubt it. But, the employee shouldn't have said those things, especially when being filmed.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
crownvic
Posts: 2251
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 am

ual763 wrote:
thegoldenargosy wrote:
The passenger probably deserved it.


Wouldn't doubt it. But, the employee shouldn't have said those things, especially when being filmed.



I disagree... If the customer was antagonizing the employee, I fully stand behind the employee. The adage "The customer is always right", has long been forgotten by me after dealing with irrational people for so long. Then again, maybe this DL employee finally had enough and it was his "grand finale" before walking off the job! People generally suck today, so who knows what happened here.
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 am

Screw that guy, he doesn't deserve anything. The employee was right, if you flew in on Hawaiian then they take the claim. It does not matter who it was checked with, your final carrier takes the claim. He accepted Hawaiian to get there, that's who does it.

I am not condoning the employees language, but he is right on that. The passenger clearly is refusing to following what they clearly have told him many times now. Funny thing is I guarantee you the pax doesn't want to show how he was acting before the video came out....

I get Delta not excusing the language, and they never would. BUT, it would be nice to actually see a company stand behind their employee a little bit when passengers think they can just walk all over you whenever they want. These big airlines say one thing behind the scenes, but then throw their employees under the bus in public and expect agents to take verbal abuse and harassment.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:10 am

crownvic wrote:
ual763 wrote:
thegoldenargosy wrote:
The passenger probably deserved it.


Wouldn't doubt it. But, the employee shouldn't have said those things, especially when being filmed.



I disagree... If the customer was antagonizing the employee, I fully stand behind the employee. The adage "The customer is always right", has long been forgotten by me after dealing with irrational people for so long. Then again, maybe this DL employee finally had enough and it was his "grand finale" before walking off the job! People generally suck today, so who knows what happened here.


Do we know what the passenger was doing before this? I saw him asking for a Supervisor, which is calmly what I do if I’m not satisfied with the way an employee is handling something.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 16075
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 am

So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
ual763
Topic Author
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 am

crownvic wrote:
ual763 wrote:
thegoldenargosy wrote:
The passenger probably deserved it.


Wouldn't doubt it. But, the employee shouldn't have said those things, especially when being filmed.



I disagree... If the customer was antagonizing the employee, I fully stand behind the employee. The adage "The customer is always right", has long been forgotten by me after dealing with irrational people for so long. Then again, maybe this DL employee finally had enough and it was his "grand finale" before walking off the job! People generally suck today, so who knows what happened here.


I'm agreeing with you. Like I said, "I wouldn't doubt it", meaning I think the passenger probably deserved it, but yet we don't know that because we don't know the whole story. But, that doesn't mean the employee can just go spouting off profanities.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:33 am

scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:


Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.
 
ual763
Topic Author
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:35 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:


Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.


But you don't know that the employees were taking, as you put it, "abuse and harassment". We do know that the customer was asking nicely to speak to a supervisor and a supervisor never came, just the cops. We also know for a fact, that the customer took "abuse and harassment" in terms of being called an a**hole. I'm not saying he wasn't being one, but we do have evidence of an Employee not living up to Delta's standard of customer service.
From flying to the NOTAM office
 
AR385
Posts: 6920
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:25 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:38 am

Any person working front line in the service industry cannot give him/her self the luxury of loosing it to the point displayed here. Anybody who does either needs a loooong vacation or to change industries. He was lucky he wasnt fired.
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 am

ual763 wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:


Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.


But you don't know that the employees were taking, as you put it, "abuse and harassment". We do know that the customer was asking nicely to speak to a supervisor and a supervisor never came, just the cops. We also know for a fact, that the customer took "abuse and harassment" in terms of being called an a**hole. I'm not saying he wasn't being one, but we do have evidence of an Employee not living up to Delta's standard of customer service.


I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.

Anyone who has worked in any baggage office can tell you this from experience. If you are in that office, 99% of the time it's for a bad thing having happened, and a lot of the people who are upset and aren;t listening (this pax) tend to take their frustrations out on you, the person who had 0 interaction with your bag and is trying to assist you. In this case they were right, he needed to go to Hawaiian. Pax did not want to listen and figured he knew better than the workers that do this every day.
 
airjamaica
Posts: 934
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:59 am

Well myself don't subscribe to this "the customer is always right" claim either. Because they aren't. At the same time, the DL employee's utterance was unprofessional & unacceptable regardless & I couldn't care less who don't share my sentiments.
greenheart
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14898
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.


I've done my time in BSO, aka "Lost and Lost," and while I think the whole "the customer is always right" is incorrect, the customer is always the customer, and no matter how vulgar and ugly someone gets, the hallmark of a professional is to never stoop to their level.

Sadly, that's what this agent did, and he's paying the price for it. And rightfully so; he had no business using profanity with the customer like that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
aloha73g
Posts: 1904
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:30 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 am

I think this is what happened, which makes me side with the passenger:

1. He is booked on DL HNL-LAX-PDX.
2. He checks in at HNL and gives DL his bag.
3. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL bumps him and rebooks him on DL HNL-SEA-PDX.
4. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL rebooks him on HA HNL-PDX.
5. He flies HA HNL-PDX
6. His bag flies HNL-LAX-PDX and beats him to PDX.
7. When he arrives at PDX he goes to DL Baggage Service to get his bag and starts off with, “ I just arrived on Hawaiian ... “
8. DL Employee hears Hawaiian and keeps referring him to HA even though DL does have the bag.

This is all conjecture of course ... but he does state that he was booked on TWO DL flights before the HA flight. It would also explain why DL is the one that eventually delivered his bag to him. It seems entirely plausible that he could have flown on HA while his bag beat him to PDX on a DL connection.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14898
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 am

AR385 wrote:
Any person working front line in the service industry cannot give him/her self the luxury of loosing it to the point displayed here. Anybody who does either needs a loooong vacation or to change industries. He was lucky he wasnt fired.


You're absolutely correct. And there's a chance the agent still could be terminated; odds are he's been suspended and withheld from service pending the outcome of DL's investigation before making a decision on his future.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
Keith2004
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 am

Not surprised to see people defending the Delta Employee's use of profanity, Classic the "Airline is always right" apologist mantra.

But in this case it should be clear...not matter how terrible a customer is behaving, uttering profanity or "stooping to their level" as one other poster put it is NEVER the answer. Walk away, get a supervisor, call the police...all better options than using profanity to a customer...especially when being filmed :alert:
 
User avatar
jbpdx
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:38 am

1. Always book/fly nonstop.
2. Travel light with carry-on.
Next: AS PDX-PVR-PDX
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 am

EA CO AS wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.


I've done my time in BSO, aka "Lost and Lost," and while I think the whole "the customer is always right" is incorrect, the customer is always the customer, and no matter how vulgar and ugly someone gets, the hallmark of a professional is to never stoop to their level.

Sadly, that's what this agent did, and he's paying the price for it. And rightfully so; he had no business using profanity with the customer like that.


I think sympathizing would be the better term. I fully sympathize with the BSO agents. I fully sympathize with any agent who gets to the point of vulgar words because it's very likely they were pushed to that point. I agree it's still their job to be better than that, but mistakes happen. I definitely feel it should be against company policy to film an employee. Nothing good ever is going to come out of sticking a camera in someone's face
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 am

aloha73g wrote:
I think this is what happened, which makes me side with the passenger:

1. He is booked on DL HNL-LAX-PDX.
2. He checks in at HNL and gives DL his bag.
3. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL bumps him and rebooks him on DL HNL-SEA-PDX.
4. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL rebooks him on HA HNL-PDX.
5. He flies HA HNL-PDX
6. His bag flies HNL-LAX-PDX and beats him to PDX.
7. When he arrives at PDX he goes to DL Baggage Service to get his bag and starts off with, “ I just arrived on Hawaiian ... “
8. DL Employee hears Hawaiian and keeps referring him to HA even though DL does have the bag.

This is all conjecture of course ... but he does state that he was booked on TWO DL flights before the HA flight. It would also explain why DL is the one that eventually delivered his bag to him. It seems entirely plausible that he could have flown on HA while his bag beat him to PDX on a DL connection.

-Aloha!


Does not matter, if you accept transfer to a different carrier, they now are responsible to take the claim. It does not matter who it started with. The airlines will then work together and when the bag comes in Delta would send it over to Hawaiian to proceed.

It's very likely the DL guy told him they don't have it, it's scheduled in for tomorrow on our flt, please proceed to HA to take the claim. We don't know bc the pax conveniently didn't record what lead to it.
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 am

aloha73g wrote:
I think this is what happened, which makes me side with the passenger:

1. He is booked on DL HNL-LAX-PDX.
2. He checks in at HNL and gives DL his bag.
3. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL bumps him and rebooks him on DL HNL-SEA-PDX.
4. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL rebooks him on HA HNL-PDX.
5. He flies HA HNL-PDX
6. His bag flies HNL-LAX-PDX and beats him to PDX.
7. When he arrives at PDX he goes to DL Baggage Service to get his bag and starts off with, “ I just arrived on Hawaiian ... “
8. DL Employee hears Hawaiian and keeps referring him to HA even though DL does have the bag.

This is all conjecture of course ... but he does state that he was booked on TWO DL flights before the HA flight. It would also explain why DL is the one that eventually delivered his bag to him. It seems entirely plausible that he could have flown on HA while his bag beat him to PDX on a DL connection.

-Aloha!

Watching the videos in the attached article make me feel that your timeline is highly probable, with one exception. I think his bag was still en route to PDX when all this was going down. The DL employee was completely out of line when he used the profanity, no matter how annoyed he was with dealing with the customer.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.
 
hayzel777
Posts: 558
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 am

A total Customer Service FAIL...even if the pax deserved it(who knows?), you cannot cuss at the customer and call them derogatory names. Totally inappropriate and he deserves to be fired.
 
n7371f
Posts: 1402
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 am

Unacceptable. And since this man doesn't have any union representation, it'll be easy for DAL to terminate.
 
dc10co
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 am

aloha73g wrote:
I think this is what happened, which makes me side with the passenger:

1. He is booked on DL HNL-LAX-PDX.
2. He checks in at HNL and gives DL his bag.
3. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL bumps him and rebooks him on DL HNL-SEA-PDX.
4. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL rebooks him on HA HNL-PDX.
5. He flies HA HNL-PDX
6. His bag flies HNL-LAX-PDX and beats him to PDX.
7. When he arrives at PDX he goes to DL Baggage Service to get his bag and starts off with, “ I just arrived on Hawaiian ... “
8. DL Employee hears Hawaiian and keeps referring him to HA even though DL does have the bag.

This is all conjecture of course ... but he does state that he was booked on TWO DL flights before the HA flight. It would also explain why DL is the one that eventually delivered his bag to him. It seems entirely plausible that he could have flown on HA while his bag beat him to PDX on a DL connection.

-Aloha!

DL could conceivably trace the file in their system, I doubt this ordeal would have happened if the bag would’ve already been in PDX. I’ve worked BSO before and this is a common argument from customers who were INVOL’d to other carriers. “But you guys took my bag and I have a tag from your airline!”. I usually have to explain it about 10 times that while that’s certainly the case, the way DOT rules work the final transporting carrier accepts responsibility for the bag. And sometimes people really don’t listen no matter how many times you say it, like the man in the video. Not saying it necessitated the DL employee calling him an A-hole, but I can 100% guarantee that if the customer would’ve went to HA they would’ve taken the file and this whole incident would’ve never happened.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
ual763 wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:

Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.


But you don't know that the employees were taking, as you put it, "abuse and harassment". We do know that the customer was asking nicely to speak to a supervisor and a supervisor never came, just the cops. We also know for a fact, that the customer took "abuse and harassment" in terms of being called an a**hole. I'm not saying he wasn't being one, but we do have evidence of an Employee not living up to Delta's standard of customer service.


I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.

Anyone who has worked in any baggage office can tell you this from experience. If you are in that office, 99% of the time it's for a bad thing having happened, and a lot of the people who are upset and aren;t listening (this pax) tend to take their frustrations out on you, the person who had 0 interaction with your bag and is trying to assist you. In this case they were right, he needed to go to Hawaiian. Pax did not want to listen and figured he knew better than the workers that do this every day.


It does not matter how badly the customer is behaving. If out of control, you handle it firmly, period!!. This agent decided to just swear at him in such a casual and dismissive fashion and then call his cop buddies to deal with it...it probably wasn't the first time he had hurled an insult or two at passengers. He needs to be FIRED!!!
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 am

The fact that people are defending the employee says a lot about how low customer service has sunk in the US airline industry. Their job is to deal with difficult passengers, that's what they're paid to do. To use profanities against a paying customer, regardless of whoever was in the right, is wrong. No ifs, no buts.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin
 
dc10co
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 am

LAXLHR wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:
ual763 wrote:

But you don't know that the employees were taking, as you put it, "abuse and harassment". We do know that the customer was asking nicely to speak to a supervisor and a supervisor never came, just the cops. We also know for a fact, that the customer took "abuse and harassment" in terms of being called an a**hole. I'm not saying he wasn't being one, but we do have evidence of an Employee not living up to Delta's standard of customer service.


I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.

Anyone who has worked in any baggage office can tell you this from experience. If you are in that office, 99% of the time it's for a bad thing having happened, and a lot of the people who are upset and aren;t listening (this pax) tend to take their frustrations out on you, the person who had 0 interaction with your bag and is trying to assist you. In this case they were right, he needed to go to Hawaiian. Pax did not want to listen and figured he knew better than the workers that do this every day.


It does not matter how badly the customer is behaving. If out of control, you handle it firmly, period!!. This agent decided to just swear at him in such a casual and dismissive fashion and then call his cop buddies to deal with it...it probably wasn't the first time he had hurled an insult or two at passengers. He needs to be FIRED!!!


And here comes the omniscient internet mob with their torches and pitchforks! Your claim that this isn’t his first time swearing at customers is totally subjective and not based in any sort of fact. What if this man has been a model employee for his entire career and this was his one mistake? And what if this employee were someone you knew personally? Would you still have the same sentiments?

I understand that his behavior was unacceptable and unnecessary but you cannot judge someone’s entire character based on a one sided video of one incident.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:25 am

dc10co wrote:
LAXLHR wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:

I worked in the Baggage Service Office long enough to easily know the kind of abuse they were taking. It's far far far more likely the passenger was verbally abusive, rude, etc etc, and didn't want to listen to reason than it is that these two baggage office people just decided they wanted to jump down his throat and swear at him.

Anyone who has worked in any baggage office can tell you this from experience. If you are in that office, 99% of the time it's for a bad thing having happened, and a lot of the people who are upset and aren;t listening (this pax) tend to take their frustrations out on you, the person who had 0 interaction with your bag and is trying to assist you. In this case they were right, he needed to go to Hawaiian. Pax did not want to listen and figured he knew better than the workers that do this every day.


It does not matter how badly the customer is behaving. If out of control, you handle it firmly, period!!. This agent decided to just swear at him in such a casual and dismissive fashion and then call his cop buddies to deal with it...it probably wasn't the first time he had hurled an insult or two at passengers. He needs to be FIRED!!!


And here comes the omniscient internet mob with their torches and pitchforks! Your claim that this isn’t his first time swearing at customers is totally subjective and not based in any sort of fact. What if this man has been a model employee for his entire career and this was his one mistake? And what if this employee were someone you knew personally? Would you still have the same sentiments?

I understand that his behavior was unacceptable and unnecessary but you cannot judge someone’s entire character based on a one sided video of one incident.


Exactly. This man deserves a suspension and some re-training, nothing else, unless DL discovers or knows this is not the first time with this guy. People wonder why Agents can be so nasty/frustrating anymore, and this is kind of mentality is exactly why. If everyone was fired for saying something they rather shouldn't not many people would have jobs.
 
sndral
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:24 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:28 am

Actually per the news reports the Dr. (PhD traveling to a conference in Portland) apparently was booked on one Delta flight which was delayed. Then on a second which was also delayed. Finally Delta booked him on the Hawaiian flight.
If you watch all 3 videos it’s pretty clear that the irate Delta employee had previously told the customer to go to Hawaiian and the customer followed his directions and then returned to the counter - the customer said in one of the videos “You gave me wrong information. I went there and I came back.”
Can’t side w/ the baggage guy on this one. Customer’s had 2 delayed flights thanks to Delta. He tries to claim his bag once he finally arrives and Delta tells him to go see Hawaiian, who send him back to Delta. If the bag wasn’t there yet, then someone didn’t have the common courtesy to bother telling the customer that fact. Are the Delta and Hawaiian baggage employees incapable of picking up a telephone and speaking to each other, rather than telling the customer to hike back over to Hawaiian? What I heard was a very impatient, condescending and ultimately inexcusably rude employee trying to pass the buck.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1332
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:33 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:


Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.

Legally in situations like this, the company (which is Delta in this case) has to suspend their involved employees in these types of circumstances until the investigation is gone through...
Last edited by FA9295 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
User avatar
aloha73g
Posts: 1904
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:30 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 am

sndral wrote:
Actually per the news reports the Dr. (PhD traveling to a conference in Portland) apparently was booked on one Delta flight which was delayed. Then on a second which was also delayed. Finally Delta booked him on the Hawaiian flight.
If you watch all 3 videos it’s pretty clear that the irate Delta employee had previously told the customer to go to Hawaiian and the customer followed his directions and then returned to the counter - the customer said in one of the videos “You gave me wrong information. I went there and I came back.”
Can’t side w/ the baggage guy on this one. Customer’s had 2 delayed flights thanks to Delta. He tries to claim his bag once he finally arrives and Delta tells him to go see Hawaiian, who send him back to Delta. If the bag wasn’t there yet, then someone didn’t have the common courtesy to bother telling the customer that fact. Are the Delta and Hawaiian baggage employees incapable of picking up a telephone and speaking to each other, rather than telling the customer to hike back over to Hawaiian? What I heard was a very impatient, condescending and ultimately inexcusably rude employee trying to pass the buck.

It seems to me that either:

1. The bag was in PDX having been flown there but DL

or

2. The bag was on its way to PDX on a DL flight.

Shouldn’t the DL agent been able to figure that out and tell the customer, “your bag isn’t here yet, but it will be here at ________. You can wait here until then OR go file a claim with HA and we’ll deliver it to you.”

That MAY have been said, but it certainly doesn’t seem like it was.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7058
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 am

What was absolutely outrageous and is a consistent problem among airline employees these days is that they universally threaten to call the cops on you merely for being persistent. I'm glad he taped the thing, because otherwise the employees would have said that he was out of control. Oh wait, they did! Right as he was taping himself being calmly persistent. Polite persistence is now seen by low level employees as being "out of control"! Make the problem go away by making the cops come. All airlines need to retrain their employees that a customer with a problem is something that you should OWN and try to RESOLVE instead of an intrusion on your pleasant day at work. Threatening him by saying they'll call the cops rather than calling a SUPERVISOR is an incredible abuse of power. All employees should have to fill out a 10-page form in triplicate every time they get security to handle a customer -- that will undoubtedly result in far fewer nuisance calls to law enforcement.
 
SpinOn2
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 am

sndral wrote:
Actually per the news reports the Dr. (PhD traveling to a conference in Portland) apparently was booked on one Delta flight which was delayed. Then on a second which was also delayed. Finally Delta booked him on the Hawaiian flight.
If you watch all 3 videos it’s pretty clear that the irate Delta employee had previously told the customer to go to Hawaiian and the customer followed his directions and then returned to the counter - the customer said in one of the videos “You gave me wrong information. I went there and I came back.”
Can’t side w/ the baggage guy on this one. Customer’s had 2 delayed flights thanks to Delta. He tries to claim his bag once he finally arrives and Delta tells him to go see Hawaiian, who send him back to Delta. If the bag wasn’t there yet, then someone didn’t have the common courtesy to bother telling the customer that fact. Are the Delta and Hawaiian baggage employees incapable of picking up a telephone and speaking to each other, rather than telling the customer to hike back over to Hawaiian? What I heard was a very impatient, condescending and ultimately inexcusably rude employee trying to pass the buck.


Wrong, the employee said "You came in on Hawaiian they need to take your file" which is him referring to take your bag claim. The claim has to be done by Hawaiian bc that is his last carrier. It does not matter who it was on originally. I've had to take claims for passengers who flew Dragon Air, then Cathay, then my airline, bag shows it never left HKG on Cathay, but guess what, they flew last on me so I am responsible for the claim and I'd take it.

It is very clear they already helped the guy, it is very clear he refuses to listen to what they are saying and keep insisting that his bag tag says DL, It does not matter!

I would also like to add, why does this warrant shoving a camera in someone's face? This is called attention grab/lawsuit from this passenger who will surely cry racism for no reason and get paid a ton of money by DL to go away.
Last edited by SpinOn2 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
aloha73g
Posts: 1904
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:30 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 am

Also, I’m amused by the female employee who was doing everything imaginable to NOT be on camera. Haha. Perhaps she knew the guy was about to say something that would go viral?

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7058
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 am

Aloha: No, it wasn't said. They told him that because he flew in on Hawaiian, he had to make the claim to Hawaiian, even if DL flew the bag. At least that's what they were trying to say. But, PhD engineer that he is, the only proof he has of checking his bag is a tag that says DELTA on it in big letters so he rationally assumed that the issuing party was the responsible party, and was trying to explain the logic of why he was standing there at their podium. It would have taken far less time for the obnoxious, hopefully-soon-to-be-fired alter-cocker to just look up the tag than to do what he did. The lady was even less help.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:


Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.

Nearly killing someone for refusing to move off a seat when it was his legal right to stay is hardly "nothing right" in my opinion. Those employees deserved a lengthy jail sentence if you ask me. Sadistic brutes who only took the job to get some sort of twisted pleasure out of causing bodily harm to others.
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7058
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:52 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
sndral wrote:
Actually per the news reports the Dr. (PhD traveling to a conference in Portland) apparently was booked on one Delta flight which was delayed. Then on a second which was also delayed. Finally Delta booked him on the Hawaiian flight.
If you watch all 3 videos it’s pretty clear that the irate Delta employee had previously told the customer to go to Hawaiian and the customer followed his directions and then returned to the counter - the customer said in one of the videos “You gave me wrong information. I went there and I came back.”
Can’t side w/ the baggage guy on this one. Customer’s had 2 delayed flights thanks to Delta. He tries to claim his bag once he finally arrives and Delta tells him to go see Hawaiian, who send him back to Delta. If the bag wasn’t there yet, then someone didn’t have the common courtesy to bother telling the customer that fact. Are the Delta and Hawaiian baggage employees incapable of picking up a telephone and speaking to each other, rather than telling the customer to hike back over to Hawaiian? What I heard was a very impatient, condescending and ultimately inexcusably rude employee trying to pass the buck.


Wrong, the employee said "You came in on Hawaiian they need to take your file" which is him referring to take your bag claim. The claim has to be done by Hawaiian bc that is his last carrier. It does not matter who it was on originally. I've had to take claims for passengers who flew Dragon Air, then Cathay, then my airline, bag shows it never left HKG on Cathay, but guess what, they flew last on me so I am responsible for the claim and I'd take it.

It is very clear they already helped the guy, it is very clear he refuses to listen to what they are saying and keep insisting that his bag tag says DL, It does not matter!

I would also like to add, why does this warrant shoving a camera in someone's face? This is called attention grab/lawsuit from this passenger who will surely cry racism for no reason and get paid a ton of money by DL to go away.


And I'm pretty confident that if they explained it to him the way you just did, he would understand. But instead they first used weird airline code instead of English when speaking to him (what's a "file"? C'mon.) And then they got annoyed with him because, God forbid, he wanted his bag and was speaking to the representative of the airline that issued his ticket but then had IROPS and made him fly a different airline. Think about this: It was DL's IROPS that put him in this position. Now he doesn't have his bag. The fact is that regardless of what the super-secret-handshake-code Illuminati procedure known only to the airlines is, the fact is that EITHER airline could have helped him and NEITHER airline wanted to, clearly passing the buck to each other. When you delay me twice then reroute me on another carrier and lose my bag, tell me please how many times I'm supposed to ping-pong between baggage podiums and rude, incompetent, go-screw-yourself employees. Forever? Should I be the one calling the police and filing a complaint for theft of my bag?

Look, the right way to handle this was to explain the situation, explain the "proper" super-secret procedure, and then HELP THE GUY ANYWAY. Or, if they were too lazy to do that in the completely-empty baggage area, then call a supervisor who hopefully gives a crap. Clearly, the low-level folks at both airlines didn't.

And one other thing: as you point out, this stuff happens every day. Why isn't there a handout, a web link, a standard procedure that they are trained to explain, a form, a phone number to call, or just simple human decency of getting on the computer ones-self and helping the guy? Isn't that why there are people at the podium? They wouldn't have jobs if bags just appeared correctly on every flight in a reasonable amount of time. The job here is to be a helpful problem solver, but instead the guy gets the brush off.

The reason he needed to tape the exchange is apparent immediately. To get rid of him and his problems, they will call the cops and lie about him being "disruptive" or "out of control", which he plainly wasn't. They never want to be taped because they don't want their horrible behavior to be recorded.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:00 am

I don’t know everything that happened here, but I’ve had a few experiences with AS where their employees were absolutely worthless.

Booked on a PVR-SEA flight, as an MVP member I had exit row seat booked for like 8 months. Show up at the airport and was in the last row. The agent tried to lie about why it occurred.

Then we get to SEA and no bag. They had intentionally routed 30-40 people’s bags PVR-LAX-SEA for a weight restriction. Yet we had to stand in a 2 hour line to file a lost luggage claim.

How difficult would it have been to send a list af bags that AS knowingly offloaded up to SEA and called us all over in baggage claim? The staff was apparently too lazy for that.

Then on an FF ticket to Vietnam, my AS SEA-SJC flight was cancelled. So I was going to miss the AA SJC-NRT connection.

Again, I went through at least 4-5 useless AS agents before finding a competent one who got me rerouted on NW. It was quite frustrating.

One agent blindly sent me to NW, who sent me right back. Another told me there were no JL flights from YVR. In fact there were two. I know enough to suggest reroutes, but they were clueless. Then they wanted to route me back through DFW, insisting I could still make my 3x/week NRT-HAN flight, which wasn’t even close to correct.

Ever fly Pen Air during their oft discussed PDX problems? Talk about dealing with useless agents who don’t know anything and don’t care.

I can sympathize with the customer. It’s very hit or miss with airline customer service. I’ve gotten some amazing service from airline agents who went out of their way to help during problems, but also have had some very frustrating experiences with some of this stuff. I’ve always kept my cool, but it’s a challenge sometime.
Last edited by BoeingGuy on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
 
santi319
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

Whoever posted this in this website expecting someone to have sympathy for the employee should know by now most of airliners crowd simply can't stand airline employees that dont want to take abuse or act like slaves.... wrong crowd!!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7058
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

SpinOn2 wrote:
aloha73g wrote:
I think this is what happened, which makes me side with the passenger:

1. He is booked on DL HNL-LAX-PDX.
2. He checks in at HNL and gives DL his bag.
3. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL bumps him and rebooks him on DL HNL-SEA-PDX.
4. For some reason (delay, overbooked) DL rebooks him on HA HNL-PDX.
5. He flies HA HNL-PDX
6. His bag flies HNL-LAX-PDX and beats him to PDX.
7. When he arrives at PDX he goes to DL Baggage Service to get his bag and starts off with, “ I just arrived on Hawaiian ... “
8. DL Employee hears Hawaiian and keeps referring him to HA even though DL does have the bag.

This is all conjecture of course ... but he does state that he was booked on TWO DL flights before the HA flight. It would also explain why DL is the one that eventually delivered his bag to him. It seems entirely plausible that he could have flown on HA while his bag beat him to PDX on a DL connection.

-Aloha!


Does not matter, if you accept transfer to a different carrier, they now are responsible to take the claim. It does not matter who it started with. The airlines will then work together and when the bag comes in Delta would send it over to Hawaiian to proceed.

It's very likely the DL guy told him they don't have it, it's scheduled in for tomorrow on our flt, please proceed to HA to take the claim. We don't know bc the pax conveniently didn't record what lead to it.


He DID record what led to it, which was him going to them, being told to go to Hawaiian, being told by Hawaiian to go back to Delta. There multiple video segments. How many times should he walk back and forth, and WHICH EMPLOYEES should he believe? The DL employees (and you) think he's a "problem" because he doesn't believe them over what he was told at the Hawaiian counter. How is he supposed to know the procedure and which group of employees has the right answer? Why can't these airlines work together to give him the right answer? Pick up the phone already. Call a supervisor. Give a crap about the guy's predicament. It's unbelievable. Well, actually, it's completely believable. And one thing is for certain: the situation is emphatically not his fault.
 
QXAS
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am

As someone who received profane language from a DL FA after ordering a can of ginger ale, I just hope that this isn’t a cultural problem at this airline. I chose not to record this FA because I did not want to escalate the encounter. I just calmly took my 1/3 cup of ginger ale. I certainly hope these are two isolated cases. If they aren’t isolated cases, DL needs are cultural overhaul.
In any case, for a professional, who is in uniform representing any company, this type of behavior is completely unacceptable under any circumstances.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 am

santi319 wrote:
Whoever posted this in this website expecting someone to have sympathy for the employee should know by now most of airliners crowd simply can't stand airline employees that dont want to take abuse or act like slaves.... wrong crowd!!


Sorry. That’s not correct. What we do expect is airline employees to take some initiative and do their jobs. Serving the customer is not being a slave. It’s what they are PAID to do.

As indicated by others, no employee apparently took any responsibility or initiative to do anything but pass the buck and do as little work possible.

I’d be angry by now too. So would most people.
 
greggariouspdx
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 am

This does not surprise me. I live in Portland and avoid Delta like the plague because their personnel at PDX are some of the rudest people I have encountered. The woman in the video came from the merger with Northworst and is a real piece of work.
 
grbauc
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:26 am

QXAS wrote:
As someone who received profane language from a DL FA after ordering a can of ginger ale, I just hope that this isn’t a cultural problem at this airline. I chose not to record this FA because I did not want to escalate the encounter. I just calmly took my 1/3 cup of ginger ale. I certainly hope these are two isolated cases. If they aren’t isolated cases, DL needs are cultural overhaul.
In any case, for a professional, who is in uniform representing any company, this type of behavior is completely unacceptable under any circumstances.



Of course there isolated cases, come on get real. DL is not training its employees to be rude in fact the profit bonuses they dish out say otherwise. They more profit they make the more there cut is. You got a bad apple. Not sure what this tread will accomplish other then letting the social internet detectives have a chance at deciding a case with limited info.
 
User avatar
Schweigend
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:42 am

I'm commenting because I've worked in Ramp and Baggage Service Office (BSO) areas.

It appears that the bag travelled on the original DL itinerary as tagged -- HNL-LAX-PDX -- even though the pax had been re-routed on HA. DL did not re-tag the customer's bag to match his new routing, so it just went on the original flights. (On International flights, customers' bags must accompany them, due to PPBM Positive Passenger Bag Match rules, but this was a domestic itinerary, so that doesn't matter as much.)

When the pax went to the DL BSO in PDX, the DL employees should simply have looked up the bag tag number in their tracking system to determine its location. I believe that DL has top-notch bag-tracking systems in place. It should not have mattered that he had flown on HA. The DL BSO folks would have immediately seen that they had the guy's bag already.

Instead, upon hearing that he'd flown on Hawaiian, they started objecting, and then the obscene rudeness -- startlingly, IMO, to a customer who'd already experienced a DL service disruption, otherwise he'd never have been on HA at all.

BSO employees' first step should always be to pull up the info from customer's bag tag in their tracking and reservations systems -- before making judgements or directing the pax elsewhere.

Perhaps the DL employee was not properly trained to be working in BSO, where you deal pretty much only with customers whose bags have been mishandled -- and who generally are already upset -- and who really need a lot of TLC and expert factual info from the airline agents.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 5438
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 am

greggariouspdx wrote:
This does not surprise me. I live in Portland and avoid Delta like the plague because their personnel at PDX are some of the rudest people I have encountered. The woman in the video came from the merger with Northworst and is a real piece of work.


I just watched the earlier part of the video. Both employees seem like pieces of work who are to lazy to do the right thing to help a customer. Just blindly tell him to talk to Hawaiian while he ignores the customer and looks at his computer screen.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7058
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 am

Schweigend wrote:
I'm commenting because I've worked in Ramp and Baggage Service Office (BSO) areas.

It appears that the bag travelled on the original DL itinerary as tagged -- HNL-LAX-PDX -- even though the pax had been re-routed on HA. DL did not re-tag the customer's bag to match his new routing, so it just went on the original flights. (On International flights, customers' bags must accompany them, due to PPBM Positive Passenger Bag Match rules, but this was a domestic itinerary, so that doesn't matter as much.)

When the pax went to the DL BSO in PDX, the DL employees should simply have looked up the bag tag number in their tracking system to determine its location. I believe that DL has top-notch bag-tracking systems in place. It should not have mattered that he had flown on HA. The DL BSO folks would have immediately seen that they had the guy's bag already.

Instead, upon hearing that he'd flown on Hawaiian, they started objecting, and then the obscene rudeness -- startlingly, IMO, to a customer who'd already experienced a DL service disruption, otherwise he'd never have been on HA at all.

BSO employees' first step should always be to pull up the info from customer's bag tag in their tracking and reservations systems -- before making judgements or directing the pax elsewhere.

Perhaps the DL employee was not properly trained to be working in BSO, where you deal pretty much only with customers whose bags have been mishandled -- and who generally are already upset -- and who really need a lot of TLC and expert factual info from the airline agents.


What a wonderful, knowledgeable, level-headed post. Thank you, Sir! Thank goodness the industry has (had?) people like you!!!
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7058
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:44 am

santi319 wrote:
Whoever posted this in this website expecting someone to have sympathy for the employee should know by now most of airliners crowd simply can't stand airline employees that dont want to take abuse or act like slaves.... wrong crowd!!


It's unclear to me how being asked by a customer for help is "taking abuse". Did you watch the videos? Did you see that the customer, an intelligent person, did nothing more than politely try to engage the employees in a rational discussion about how to locate his bag, after having initially followed their instructions to no avail? I'm intrigued that you think it's "abusive" to come back to someone when their instructions don't turn out to yield the desired result. Or that being asked to do the very job that they were hired to do (help passengers get their bags back) constitutes "acting like a slave". It's quite remarkable a reaction.

There's no question that customers can be abusive, rude, aggressive and threatening. This guy wasn't one of them. He just wanted his bag. If these people are so burned out that they consider ALL customers to be a nuisance and that any questioning of their "wisdom" justifies calling the police, it's time to find something else to do that doesn't involve a customer-facing position.
 
User avatar
bgm
Posts: 1759
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am

This type of behavior makes my blood boil. I've never had an airline yell profanities at me, but I've come across SO many airline staff in the US with this attitude; it's my main reason why I absolutely detest flying domestically and try to avoid any interaction with airline staff unless absolutely necessary.

From my experience, there are definitely more than "a few bad apples", it seems there is a systemically hostile attitude towards passengers. It's so bizarre, because customer service in the US is generally great, at least in the private sector. I sincerely hope at the very minimum that Delta has given an alternative job to that man that doesn't require interaction with customers.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin
 
oldannyboy
Posts: 2074
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 am

scbriml wrote:
So, DL suspends the employee, but the customer is wrong and "deserved it"? :rotfl:

Airliners.net defends the indefensible again. Am I surprised? :shakehead:


Suspending the employee doesn't tell us much. Apart from the fact that DL want to save their face at all costs.

I have a feeling the passenger was being rude, aggressive; plus I really don't agree with this new trend of using your mobile camera as a threatening weapon... Yes, I think he totally deserved it. I come from a customer service background and people can be aggressive, irrational, unfriendly, demanding, difficult, crazy....all of this in the space of a one minute conversation. The employee (no spring chicken there..) has probably just had enough of such individuals.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos