Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

axiom

Re: 10 Air France unions plans strike

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Since there's so much ideological hot air flying around in this thread, I'm going to throw in my two cents: we work to maintain a decent quality and dignity of life, not simply to "optimize" returns for the elite. Unions are one important way to maintain a balance that respects the rights, dignity, and power of labor. That balance is sorely out of whack today.

Air France might be a flawed company, but it would be a mistake to attribute that solely to labor. And I stand with AF workers who are organizing to maintain a decent quality of life. What's the point of work, otherwise? The economy exists to provide for social reproduction, not to create exoerbinant wealth for the few.

jetwet1

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Well, at least out of LAX I guess DY will be able to gain some market share.

Nola

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Any updates on whether this action will occur? What should travelers on 2/22 and 2/23 expect?

Planeflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:13 am

Aesma, Everton, very good back and forth.

I own a business and agree with you both. Each year I fire the non performers and pay huge bonuses to the top 50% so Egerton your comments really resonate with me.

I know, firing may seem brutal but we are honest in our expectations and are as equal opportunity as it gets.

But nonetheless working people are not making enough money. We, in the West have to figure out a better balance between regulation and growth.

Gingersnap

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Egerton wrote:
Gingersnap wrote:
Herein lies the problem, and this has been the same at my own aerospace employer.

Over the last few years, the company has taken up the stance that wage increases are not viable because of high costs, lower than average revenue stream etc. Yet in the years where said company sees record profits and massively increased revenue streams, they still refuse to rage wages or offer a pittance. Often in the UK (where I reside), most companies tend to meet in the middle so it's not often you hear of much in the way of strike action (outside of the bi-annual rail strikes).
Indeed my employer offered a pittance 1% payrise last year, which was resoundingly rejected by the union affiliated members of the workforce. So next up was a larger 5% increase with a tacked on clause that the union was no longer permitted to negotiate pay. You can imagine that was also rejected wholeheartedly. In the end we met in the middle after the word "strike" was murmured as we ended up with a 3% deal.

This may seem like a pointless back and forth, but due to employer's reluctance to keep wages in line with the "cost of living", often a couple of percent results in an effective pay cut for many. And it does become difficult to justify the salary of the chief executives in the 7 figures and rising, if you refuse to pay the average worker even half of what they by all rights should be getting to keep up with the rising cost of living.

So yes it causes a headache to management and customers are inconvenienced, but without the unions there would be no protection against rogue management who wish to squeeze every last penny out of their workforce at the smallest cost possible.

Thanks. Employers are seeking to incur only the costs necessary to recruit, retain and motivate staff. In short, this is the 'market rate' for each individual. This is not a fixed percent applied to all.

In business, I made sure that each employee had his or her personal contract of employment (c 15-20 pages) mailed to the home address. Any changes were made in writing.

I sought to ensure that we worked out a list of employees ranked in order of the costs of the employment package i.e. including heath cover, holidays, pensions etc as well as the pay rate, overtime, bonus and average gross wage over the year. We then worked out the those who had potential, those who had reached their level, those who were on the downward slope and other such matters of subjective judgement. The optimum ranking of each individual on our list soon became apparent and the appropriate adjustments made to recruit, retain and motivate individuals.

We did not operate only an annual review. We tended to adjust things in a timely manner if the local internal or external labour market changed, which in did violently for instance in 2008, and to a lesser extent in other boom and bust cycles. It was my judgment that we knew what we were doing, although it was not a walk in the park, and used quite a lot of management time.

We were not unionised, our people never felt the need. I made sure that legislation which gave the right to belong or not belong to a union was respected. I never asked if individuals were or were not union members, I neither knew nor cared.

I venture to suggest that managements who operate on any union model of employment and pay cannot know what they are doing. Invariably they are not optimising the use of their most important resource, namely the people. They are therefore doomed.

As things happens, the management and the union are very much at loggerheads across many issues. Sadly within my particular employer, there is a great divide between sections of the workforce. For example, the management are oblivious to shifts in employee satisfaction, in particular morale. It's been noted within that the morale level for example is perhaps the lowest it has been in years, yet this isn't reflected or even acknowledged.
A number of the unionised members would very much prefer not to be, but it has often become the case where they are left with little to no choice to prevent their conditions and pay being torn to shreds.

mercure1
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 am

Strike moving ahead.
Meeting between company and unions on Monday did not produce results

http://www.air-journal.fr/2018-02-20-ai ... 94837.html

AF has issued travel advisory allows rebook for travel after February 27th.
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/common/p ... france.htm

Nola

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 pm

AF indicating it will run 50% long haul from Paris, 75% of medium haul flights and 85% of short haul flights.

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/press ... ruary-2018

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/air-fra ... -services/

http://en.rfi.fr/france/20180221-air-fr ... 2-february

Is the strike scheduled for only one day? How long will it take to get 100% of long haul flights running, i.e., when would someone traveling feel confident they won't have a problem? Friday? Monday?

mercure1
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 pm

Per AF press release they plan following:

Our flights schedule is currently on going. For 22 February, we expect to operate:
- 50% long-haul departures
- 80% short-haul departures

Furthermore, in order to ensure the maximum number of flights with our reduced crew, we may have to limit the number of passengers on board some of our flights, meaning that we will not be able to honor all bookings.

Air France flights operated by the aircraft of any other airline, including HOP!, will not be affected by this strike.

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/common/p ... france.htm

N717TW

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 am

jfk777 wrote:
How can Air France have 10 unions to deal, why not one union for each job occupation ? Just for the sake of simplicity merging all these groups would be a good start.

Unlike the US, most European countries allow employees to join the union of their choosing. It certainly dilutes the power of the union when they aren't on the same page with the same demands and it certainly opens the door for mgmt to use the different unions to drive a wedge in the work group. That said its a much more democratic process. In the US where airlines are governed by the Railway-Labor Act (RLA) the union representing the work groups tend to be "whoever was first in" and the process for voting-in a new union Is complicated. Having multiple unions allows for employees to have their voice heard but also prevents a situation where a vocal minority prevents what you want. For example, it would be possible for a "militant union" to go on strike but the more mainstream unions stay at work. Sounds like, based on the article posted and my (increasingly getting worse) French, that most of the major unions are on the same page.

At the end of the day ... its France ... they go on strike, they smoke, they drink wine and eat fabulous food. Its what they do!

Aesma

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:40 am

Usually long haul flights were the least affected during strikes, however a court challenge has been lost so now AF can't do the same shuffling around of crews they were doing before.

Nola

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Media outlets are reporting that the strike is for one day only.

Looking at JFK-CDG, AF23 and AF11 are operating today, while AF7 and AF9 are not. (AF3577 is operating but it flies out of T4, so it must be operated by DL). Google indicates all flights are operating tomorrow.

jetwet1

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

Just booked 9 of us on DY (Premium cabin) rather than run the risk of an AF strike crushing our plans, I wonder how much revenue this is going to cost AF.

mercure1
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Unions will have consultations next week about establishment of further strikes. Pilots union will separately consider establishment of longer term work stoppage that would exceed 6-days in length.

http://www.air-journal.fr/2018-02-26-gr ... 95088.html

L410Turbolet

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:26 pm

DWC wrote:
Silly, you may end sending them to an airline with an inferior product, plus airport & ground staff can strike anywhere else they go.
France & Europe are very strict & generous on consumer rights,

Sure they can strike elsewhere too, but the chances are considerably lower than at CDG. You don't need to look any further than AMS or BRU. for better, user-friendlier airports, much better ground staff, actually willing to speak English, decent airlines.

EU consumer rights are exactly nonexistent when it comes to airline/airport employess taking passengers as hostage.

mercure1
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:52 pm

Next strike date announced - March 23

MrBren

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Weakening a company is certainly a good way to get pay rises. These unions are not living on Earth.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:52 pm

How do the AF pay-scales, benefits and work hours compare to the KL side? Is AF personnel so much underpaid compared to KL personnel they feel the need to go on strike? For what's worth, I cannot remember KL personnel to ever go on strike...

WaywardMemphian

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 pm

Shows the need for carriers like Norwegian.

mercure1
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Negotiations have ended with the company refusing staff proposals. March 23 strike to proceed.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-airfr ... KKCN1GP2M3

kitplane01

Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 pm

Aesma wrote:
Usually long haul flights were the least affected during strikes, however a court challenge has been lost so now AF can't do the same shuffling around of crews they were doing before.

Can you explain this? The court has ordered certain pilots to crew particular aircraft, overriding the crew assignments the airline would prefer?

mercure1
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Additional strike notice announced for March 30 by the inter-union grouping three pilot unions (SNPL, SPAF and Alter), two flight attendants and stewards (SNPNC and UNSA-PNC), and five ground staff (CGT, FO, SUD, CFTC and SNGAF),

So now we have upcoming strikes March 23 and 30.

http://www.air-journal.fr/2018-03-16-ai ... 95887.html

Dutchy

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:11 pm

Next April 3rd and 6th.

https://www.nu.nl/economie/5194535/pilo ... taken.html

Are they again trying to kill off Air France? Last round they didn't succeed so now they need to finish the job?

nordikcam

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Next April 3rd and 6th.

https://www.nu.nl/economie/5194535/pilo ... taken.html

Are they again trying to kill off Air France? Last round they didn't succeed so now they need to finish the job?

April 3rd and 7th !!!!!!!!!!!

LMFNINJA

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:53 am

I wish the Air France unions good luck in their negotiations with the airline. I have flown Air France trans-Atlantic numerous times from YUL and JFK and several times domestically in France. Their staff is very friendly, professional and helpful and is certainly much better than Air Canada's (Sorry Longhauler). I have a lot of sympathy for the workers as I feel they reflect positively on the airline. I do not understand why Air France has such a poor reputation which IMHO is unjustified.

Jetty

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 am

Great title of this thread, it will stay correct no matter how much time passes.

Planeflyer

Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:09 am

I agree the service is good but when one part of the French transportation system shuts down AF takes the hit.

Aesma

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 am

kitplane01 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Can you explain this? The court has ordered certain pilots to crew particular aircraft, overriding the crew assignments the airline would prefer?

Basically yes. Air France has lost a court case against a pilot union. By law (only for transportation companies) all strikers must notify their employer that they will strike 48 hours in advance, but the company can't shuffle the rosters anymore to crew their aircraft.

I'm not convinced this is the end of it legally but it's the current situation.

3 and 7 April are dates where the national railway company will also strike, the first two days of a 3 months long intermittent strike (2 days on, 3 days off). So basically don't travel on those dates !

mercure1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Air France personnel are planning additional action on 10 and 11 April 2018.

kjeld0d

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:48 pm

are there any customers left? it seems like a stupid question, are there any people that are somehow 'locked in' to AF? gov't travel, small rural airports? I don't see how any normal person would book AF ever again.

Rookie87

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:30 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
are there any customers left? it seems like a stupid question, are there any people that are somehow 'locked in' to AF? gov't travel, small rural airports? I don't see how any normal person would book AF ever again.

I would hope that what you wrote forces both groups to come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

If you’re booked on AF and the strike happens, you’d get rebooked on DL or another airline right??

As for DY, if they cancel, do they have agreements in place to rebook on other carriers or would it be to how Spirit operates, you’re S.O.L.?

skiaplg

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

I would hope that what you wrote forces both groups to come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

If you’re booked on AF and the strike happens, you’d get rebooked on DL or another airline right??

As for DY, if they cancel, do they have agreements in place to rebook on other carriers or would it be to how Spirit operates, you’re S.O.L.?

Air France in my experience rebooks you easily. It’s absurd to me that people think that it’s an airline that people shouldn’t book for that reason. Firstly, other airlines in Europe have been known to strike. Secondly, Air France is frequently able to either run the service as scheduled, rebook you onto one of their other airlines - Hop or now Joon, or rebook you onto one of their many partners.

I book Air France because even with slightly more frequent strikes than other carriers, the airline is used to and manages them well. Furthermore, I personally find that CDG is easy to connect to vs the long walks at Amsterdam, filthy lounge with awful food and rude staff (in my experience). I, and many other people, clearly don’t think it is much of a risk.

In most countries, unions are the reason that many of us have pleasant working environment (pushing for time off work and better wages). Whilst unions sometimes act unreasonably, they and collective bargaining have an important part in our society.

Edit: additionally, as people have mentioned, the proliferation of unions actually weaken the collective bargaining position. Additionally, Air France has lots of competition in France (lots of other European hubs, plus Easyjet, Volotea, Ryanair etc, plus competition in long-haul by carriers such as Air Caraïbes). The government isn’t on some vendetta to give AF a monopoly (and hasn’t been for many years)

Kashmon

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Strike strike, strike away then do not complain when competitors take your jobs

sometimes negotiating for an extra dollar is worse than losing all your income

mercure1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:46 pm

23-24 April added to list of planned strike dates.

pdt2f

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:11 pm

skiaplg wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Air France in my experience rebooks you easily. It’s absurd to me that people think that it’s an airline that people shouldn’t book for that reason. Firstly, other airlines in Europe have been known to strike. Secondly, Air France is frequently able to either run the service as scheduled, rebook you onto one of their other airlines - Hop or now Joon, or rebook you onto one of their many partners.

I book Air France because even with slightly more frequent strikes than other carriers, the airline is used to and manages them well. Furthermore, I personally find that CDG is easy to connect to vs the long walks at Amsterdam, filthy lounge with awful food and rude staff (in my experience). I, and many other people, clearly don’t think it is much of a risk.

In most countries, unions are the reason that many of us have pleasant working environment (pushing for time off work and better wages). Whilst unions sometimes act unreasonably, they and collective bargaining have an important part in our society.

Edit: additionally, as people have mentioned, the proliferation of unions actually weaken the collective bargaining position. Additionally, Air France has lots of competition in France (lots of other European hubs, plus Easyjet, Volotea, Ryanair etc, plus competition in long-haul by carriers such as Air Caraïbes). The government isn’t on some vendetta to give AF a monopoly (and hasn’t been for many years)

I’m all for workers having the right to collectively bargain for better working conditions and pay, but the idea that all unions should be supported because of rights they won for workers 100 years ago is absurd. Yes they were instrumental in giving fair wages, good working conditions, better hours, etc, but why should those battles make people pro-union in 2018? American automotive manufacturing workers in the South have been rejecting unions for years and they have great benefits, great pay, and a steady increase in jobs and opportunity. Companies are willing to pay good wages and good benefits simply to not have to deal with a politicized union. Maybe unions just aren’t as necessary as they once were, at least for now?

kjeld0d

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:04 pm

pdt2f wrote:
skiaplg wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

I’m all for workers having the right to collectively bargain for better working conditions and pay, but the idea that all unions should be supported because of rights they won for workers 100 years ago is absurd. Yes they were instrumental in giving fair wages, good working conditions, better hours, etc, but why should those battles make people pro-union in 2018? American automotive manufacturing workers in the South have been rejecting unions for years and they have great benefits, great pay, and a steady increase in jobs and opportunity. Companies are willing to pay good wages and good benefits simply to not have to deal with a politicized union. Maybe unions just aren’t as necessary as they once were, at least for now?

Right, but then who would pay the salaries of all the duplicate union admin staff and "leaders"? Wouldn't it be better for me if I were a union leader, to pay PR firms to argue for the importance of unions, to make sure I could feed my family? There is an essential conflict of interest. A union would never conclude that it was unneeded.

Rookie87

Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:44 am

pdt2f wrote:
skiaplg wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

Lack of unions means management doesn’t have to follow rules the way they would have to if there was a union involved. You don’t like someone? Fire them. You want employees to work over time including weekends? Sure. They refuse because they have families? Fire them.
One role of the Unions is that they provide protections that workers in the South rejecting them would not get otherwise. Once one of them gets fired, then they realize how a union would have been beneficial. Many companies have campaigns to avoid having their workers unionize and that is one of many reasons.
With a union, no favoritism, no unfair practices, no termination without just cause, you get the idea.

ro1960

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
Lack of unions means management doesn’t have to follow rules the way they would have to if there was a union involved. You don’t like someone? Fire them. You want employees to work over time including weekends? Sure. They refuse because they have families? Fire them.
One role of the Unions is that they provide protections that workers in the South rejecting them would not get otherwise. Once one of them gets fired, then they realize how a union would have been beneficial. Many companies have campaigns to avoid having their workers unionize and that is one of many reasons.
With a union, no favoritism, no unfair practices, no termination without just cause, you get the idea.

Unions are also the reason why in France (and many other European countries) you have 5-week paid holidays, 16-week paid maternity leave, 35-hour work week, free health insurance, pension plans for all, professional training just to name a few...

Jetty

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:34 pm

The strikes have cost AF 170m euro so far: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/air-france-sa ... 52932.html

The reason for the strike was that employees wanted a bigger share of the improved financial results of AF, this means the strikes should soon be over because there is likely little profit left seing that AF's profit over 2017 was only 588m euro.

mercure1
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Additional strike date announced - 17 April.

This in addition to already announced 23-24 April.

aerogt3

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Unions are also the reason why in France (and many other European countries) you have 5-week paid holidays, 16-week paid maternity leave, 35-hour work week, free health insurance, pension plans for all, professional training just to name a few...

Many of the unions in France do not exist to prevent abuse by management, but rather to extract the maximum for themselves at the expense of consumers. Have a look at the train workers striking now. Is retiring at the same age as everyone else abuse? Do you think a 1% pay rise is abuse from AF management in light of what competing airlines are paying?

I regularly pay more to fly other carriers besides AF and strikes like this are exactly why. Every year when the weather turns nice the French begin their waves of strikes, while consumers increasingly learn to book BA, easyjet, etc. The unions are going after short term gains at the expense of the companies (and thus employees) they work with.

76er

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:03 pm

According to AF the strikes have cost the airline 220 million so far. At the same time, the unions are getting ready to extend the strikes in to early may. Dear oh dear, where will this end?

Flanker7

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:36 am

[quote="76er"]According to AF the strikes have cost the airline 220 million so far. At the same time, the unions are getting ready to extend the strikes in to early may. Dear oh dear, where will this end?[/quoty
it will end with a small or no profit for the group by the end if the year.

MrBren

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am

These unions, particularly the pilot union SNPL, don't care at all about the company. They just ignore that the company can die. They fight together to get more power, this is so childish. There is today an article about AF grounding some 787s because of lack of agreement with SNPL about instructors.

Aesma

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

AF employees' demands are unreasonable, and since most of these people (especially pilots) are not stupid, I blame management that must really be terrible to not be able to explain its strategy, and the simple numbers showing you can't pay people with money that doesn't exist.

In an ideal world the CEO would resign and the main union leader would take his place, then we'd see if he raises the salaries like he's asking.

pdt2f wrote:

So basically workers in the South benefit from others having unions. With no union anywhere, they wouldn't get anything remotely similar.

BTW this is how it works in France except it's by law, there is no "shop" concept, a collective agreement applies to all employees regardless of union affiliation (that's also why we have all unions in all companies, not just one or zero). Often agreements apply to all companies in a profession, and of course the law itself has many protections and benefits already.

Amsterdam

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 pm

They have rejected 7% pay increase in the next 3,5 years.
They want more.

At KLM the unions agree on 3/4%.

Jetty

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
They have rejected 7% pay increase in the next 3,5 years.
They want more.

At KLM the unions agree on 3/4%.

To be fair, on top of that they share in part of the profits. But that's much more sustainable financially as it doesn't become a burden in tough times.

76er

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Yup, my wife just got her profitsharing bonus for 2017 today, 14% of a year's salary. Not bad. So far, the figures for 2018 look even better. On the Air-France-'Nord' side, that is... :white:

Aesma

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 pm

In France profit sharing is mandatory, the formula is not necessarily very generous though.

Aside from that, I guess I was onto something as the CEO puts his job in the balance, if the offer is rejected he will quit.

I've already seen an union leader squirm at the idea, saying it would be bad, there would be a "governance crisis" on top of the current crisis...

Jetty

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Aesma wrote:
In France profit sharing is mandatory, the formula is not necessarily very generous though.

Regardless of the formula profit sharing wouldn't amount to much at AF, because they hardly make a profit. KL has more profit with fewer employees which makes it much more interesting for them to agree on some form of profit sharing instead of a wage-increase.

76er

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 am

Janaillac's fate should be known by May 4th, that's the date the employee referendum closes. Meanwhile the strikes are in its 11th day, with AF claiming costs approaching 300 million euros, amost 370m USD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos