Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DolphinAir747
Topic Author

Why don't any US carriers fly to Guyana?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Seems like a big hole, I'd imagine the demand to New York or Florida is there with all the VFR traffic. Maybe something B6 would do?

dredgy

Re: Why don't any US carriers fly to Guyana?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:17 pm

There is demand from Guyana (and Suriname) to the US, as well as to other parts of the Caribbean. Hence why these places tend to have NYC/MIA tend to have a “direct” service through at least one Caribbean country. I’m not sure if a carrier could sustain a full plane with any regularity, but I don’t know much about the Guyanese diaspora. It’s a shockingly annoying part of the world to get to - last time I visited Suriname I was surprised how hard it was to get flight timings to work out.

I’m also more surprised that Guyana has no connection to London. Is one of the few countries in the world with no flights to the former colonial power.

9w748capt

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Delta used to fly JFK-GEO IIRC. Large guyanese diaspora (of mostly Indian origin) in NYC. But I assume the numbers weren't there.

chepos

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Travel agencies are still thriving in this particular market and Caribbean Airlines (formerly BWIA) has this market cornered. Fly Jamaica is also been operating GEO-JFK/YYZ, not sure how they are making out. I am surprised AA never took a stab at MIA GEO.

notconcerned

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 pm

dredgy wrote:
I’m also more surprised that Guyana has no connection to London. Is one of the few countries in the world with no flights to the former colonial power.

BZE, RGN also don't have flights to their former colonial administrator. But in the end, goes back to demand and yield for these routes to work.

thegoldenargosy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Delta used to fly JFK-GEO IIRC. Large guyanese diaspora (of mostly Indian origin) in NYC. But I assume the numbers weren't there.

Delta flew JFK-GEO for probably 4 or 5 years on the 757. Instead of downgaugiqg the A/C type they just dropped it all together. You'd think a 737-700 could make it profitably.

dredgy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:17 pm

notconcerned wrote:
dredgy wrote:

BZE, RGN also don't have flights to their former colonial administrator. But in the end, goes back to demand and yield for these routes to work.

Somalia was the only other one I found - even Eritrea has flights to MXP.
Guyana was independent more recently than Burma and you know....didn’t go under military rule :p Demand and yield don’t always play a part in these colonial routes - with most services to both Suriname and French Guiana being subsidised public service routes. Is interesting to me.

For the future I can only see flights between Guyana and the US with stops in the Caribbean.

MIflyer12

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:25 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:
Seems like a big hole, I'd imagine the demand to New York or Florida is there with all the VFR traffic. Maybe something B6 would do?

Delta ran JFK-GEO for five years, ending in 2013. If there was $ to be made in freight, Delta at JFK would have more extensive freight ops than B6 could offer.

DolphinAir747
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Are the current flights from Guyana to the US on Caribbean carriers nonstop or one stop?

PatrickZ80

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:36 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:
Are the current flights from Guyana to the US on Caribbean carriers nonstop or one stop?

There's Copa to begin with. Also Surinam Airways offers flights to the US.

B737900ER

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:23 pm

[url][/url]
DolphinAir747 wrote:

Caribbean airlines has a one stop JFK-POS-GEO. The red eye. You don’t have to leave the plane in POS. It’s about a 45 minute stop if I remember correctly. They just found large deposits of oil and gas so who know what the future holds, but infrastructure there is incredibly underdeveloped. It would take time to make it a mainstream destination, and the diaspora seems content to funnel everything through Trinidad.

beeweel15

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:39 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:

Caribbean Airlines has booth non stop and one stop service also fly Jamaica. Other airlines serving GEO are COPA, Insel Air, Air Aruba and Suriname Airways.

Come check out the Caribbean thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382465

Cunard

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 pm

notconcerned wrote:
dredgy wrote:

Prior to the major restructuring and closure of many loss making routes by British Airways in 1980 Guyana was linked directly to London and British Airways actually flew twice weekly from LHR to GEO with the B747.

At the time Guyana was the only country that British Airways flew to in South America as British Caledonian and prior to that British United held the traffic rights to South America from London.

Historically British Caledonian flew to Bogota, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Guayaquil, Lima, Quito, Rio De Janiero, Salvador, Santiago, São Paulo, (Montivedeo until 1972) (Paramaibo flown briefly on behalf of Suriname Airways) whereas British Airways only flew to Georgetown.

The yields would be far too low for British Airways to make a return to Guyana direct from London although I'm rather surprised that the airline has never extended one of their Port of Spain flights into Georgetown.

azstar

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Pan Am flew JFK-Port of Spain-Georgetown for decades. Delta operated the route for awhile after Pan Am's demise.

LAX772LR

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 pm

thegoldenargosy wrote:
You'd think a 737-700 could make it profitably.

Why? Volume wasn't the problem, it's that the fares were comparatively trash. How's putting it on an aircraft with less seats going to change that?

aemoreira1981

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm surprised no US carrier has been able to make JFK-GEO work. To me, the Airbus A320 or the Boeing 737-800 would seem to be best. The list of failed attempts to make JFK-GEO work is numerous, as each usually had a midnight departure from JFK and an evening return, staying all day on the ground at GEO. Recent attempts by airlines other than Caribbean Airlines include Universal of Guyana (using a LOT Polish 767-300ER), Dynamic (using a mix of 767-200ERs and 767-300ERs) and Vision Airlines (using 767-200s). The Bombardier CS300 or Embraer 195-E2 might be the right plane for the route (2206 nmi).

ThalesCoelho

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 pm

An old 737-400 running a small schedule may be the best option. Thats what Surinam Airways do, but with the -300. The case is that the market is weak and its already covered by other airlines. Why should the american airlines fly to every destination? Just to put a us flag elsewere?

avek00

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:09 pm

Two problems:

1) Minimal business traffic; and

2) As noted previously, the USA-Guyana market is prone to periodic entry by quasi-scheduled, two-bit operators that flood the market with capacity to deeply unprofitable fare levels.

I promise you the minute a USA legacy tries to make another go of Guyana service, yet another sketchy ass operator will come out the woodwork and tank the market yet again.

stl07

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 pm

There are 3 airlines flying nonstop to MIA, SFB, and JFK. I don't see any more room.

STT757

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 pm

azstar wrote:
Pan Am flew JFK-Port of Spain-Georgetown for decades. Delta operated the route for awhile after Pan Am's demise.

That wasn't Georgetown that was Caracas, and United operated the flight (JFK-CCS-POS) after they purchased Pan Am's Latin American routes.

Pan Am timetable from 1987,

JFK-Caracas-Port of Spain.

http://www.departedflights.com/PA020187p13.html

2travel2know2

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm

The demand for a NYC (=JFK) - GEO is there but not sure if AA, DL (who flew from JFK for a while) or UA are really looking into flying to GEO.
AA would probably would want to fly MIA-GEO instead of JFK-GEO and it's questionable if a UA EWR-GEO could be attractive for the Guyanese NYC traffic.
There's also the challenges of flying from MIA/FLL/JFK/EWR to GEO and back with the same crew, not to mention the type of aircraft needed because the amount of baggage passengers carry with them from USA to GEO.
I've no info on how much of CM GEO traffic is actually USA/Canada O/D or if CM GEO flights do have UA code-share.

beeweel15

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:51 pm

STT757 wrote:
azstar wrote:

That wasn't Georgetown that was Caracas, and United operated the flight (JFK-CCS-POS) after they purchased Pan Am's Latin American routes.

Since I am from Trinidad I can say the Pan Am flew to Georgetown in the 70's from JFK via POS.

http://www.departedflights.com/PA042973p10.html

STT757

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm

beeweel15 wrote:
STT757 wrote:
azstar wrote:

Since I am from Trinidad I can say the Pan Am flew to Georgetown in the 70's from JFK via POS.

http://www.departedflights.com/PA042973p10.html

Gotcha, but it wasn't around in the '80s nor the '90s when UA took over the Pan Am Latin America routes.

aemoreira1981

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 pm

avek00 wrote:
Two problems:

1) Minimal business traffic; and

2) As noted previously, the USA-Guyana market is prone to periodic entry by quasi-scheduled, two-bit operators that flood the market with capacity to deeply unprofitable fare levels.

I promise you the minute a USA legacy tries to make another go of Guyana service, yet another sketchy ass operator will come out the woodwork and tank the market yet again.

This should be where Guyana watches out, to require fitness and prefer established operators from the USA, such as the Big 3, JetBlue, Spirit, and/or Frontier. If that is done, I could see JetBlue or Delta launching a route to GEO 3 times weekly with a morning departure from JFK.

LAXintl

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:44 pm

North American served Guyana for long period. When they pulled out in 2008 they cited high operating cost, particularly fuel.

bridge29

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 pm

My company would have purchased convenient or reasonably priced fares/times on PHL-GEO for some recent business travel. Fares for reasonably timed one-stops are at *least* $1.8k. I complained to AA about the lack of options. It'd be nice to see at least MIA-GEO. Instead, we cobbled together flights from multiple sources or flew direct from JFK. So wouldn't even show up as demand from PHL.

guyanam

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:03 am

dredgy wrote:

There is not that much connection between the UK and the former British colonies in the Caribbean, outside of leisure travel. Even KIN gets only 3-4x weekly on BA and this despite the relative large Jamaican and Jamaican descended population in the UK. The Guyanese (and Trinidadian) populations in the UK are somewhat small as there wasn't much migration from those countries to the UK during the 1948-62 period where most of the migration from the Caribbean to the UK occurred.

POS can sustain 5x daily to SoFL and 4x to JFK, but can only get 5x weekly via UVF. I suspect most of the passengers on that flight are UK visitors to UVF.

So there is really little need for a LGW GEO flight which would only be sustained with a stop in a tourist oriented island.

guyanam

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:06 am

dredgy wrote:
For the future I can only see flights between Guyana and the US with stops in the Caribbean.

Currently BW runs 10x weekly NONSTOP from JFK to GEO, and OJ runs a weekly flight. PY runs 3X weekly nonstop MIA GEO continuing on to PBM, with the vast majority of the passengers disembarking at GEO.

So in fact GEO can and does sustain nonstop service from the USA. OJ also runs 2X weekly from YYZ to GEO.

guyanam

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am

B737900ER wrote:
[url][/url]
DolphinAir747 wrote:

Caribbean airlines has a one stop JFK-POS-GEO. The red eye. .

That flight stopped a while ago. It now runs JFK GEO POS with the POS tag on only because the US DOT don't allow them to run a GEO JFK GEO service. There is a separate red eye to POS only. In addition BW also runs a very early morning 3x weekly JFK GEO POS, alongside a daily early morning JFK POS flight as well. In fact BW reports that its JFK GEO is the most profitable route in its system due to the high loads and yields.

Folks mightn't know this but Guyanese are the 5th largest immigrant group in NYC and it isn't just Indians as another poster implied. There is a large component of African descent as well.

guyanam

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
This should be where Guyana watches out, to require fitness and prefer established operators from the USA, such as the Big 3, JetBlue, Spirit, and/or Frontier. If that is done, I could see JetBlue or Delta launching a route to GEO 3 times weekly with a morning departure from JFK.

Its not going to be Frontier or Spirit. The most sustainable route is out of JFK so it will be either B6 or DL. AA hasn't expressed any interest in a MIA GEO route, even though there have been discussions. B6 also has said that a JFK GEO route isn't on its current planning. Maybe if business traffic picks up as the oil & gas come on stream after 2020 there will be more interest from US carriers.

Yes the scourge of the "fly by nites" has damaged Guyana's image in the travel industry and in fact one of them was responsible for driving DL out when they dropped fares to unsustainable levels. GEO has the reputation for having high fuel charges so I suspect that is a factor for US carriers. Too many other routes to serve.

abrelosojos

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 am

DL's pull out of GEO was also due to the amount of bribes needed, and safety issues of the planes while on the ground. Crew was also an issue.

Saludos,
Alex

guyanam

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 am

abrelosojos wrote:
DL's pull out of GEO was also due to the amount of bribes needed, and safety issues of the planes while on the ground. Crew was also an issue.

Saludos,
Alex

You really think that GEO is more dangerous or corrupt than Venezuela or Colombia? Or Nigeria? While there are problems these aren't any worse than in some other countries. The plane was on the ground for approximately one hour. The same crews usually took the plane back to JFK.

millionsofmiles

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 am

STT757 wrote:
azstar wrote:

You need to go further back. Georgetown was dropped by Pan Am in 1981 after serving it for many years as one of the vestiges of Pan Am's role as the Chosen Instrument. Prior to the retrenchment necessitated by Pan Am's financial ills after the National merger, there were many such cities on the route network.

millionsofmiles

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 am

Who remembers Guy America Airways, the upstart airline started by a former Pan Am pilot? Guy America began flying in 1981 using the dormant JFK-GEO route authority previously held by Pan Am. They flew at least one 707-123B which was decked out in an interesting take on its former American Airlines livery. This was at a time when AA and others were unloading 707s, and several upstarts slapped their names on these once-Queens of the Air. There were also many furloughed flight attendants and pilots looking for jobs at the time.

A friend of mine was furloughed by AA and flew for Guy America. She told me stories of catering consisting solely of hoagie sandwiches; fifths of liquor; and liter bottles of soda. She said it was a fun experience.

Guy America couldn't make it in the GEO market and expanded to do European charters under the name American Overseas until the FAA lifted their certificate.

TheLion

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 am

dredgy wrote:

Actually, it’s one of many, mainly ex-UK colonies. Guyana, Belize, Iraq, Burma, Brunei, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, Gambia, plus several Caribbean and South Pacific islands.

Most of these had BA service until the routes were cut, mainly since Willie Walsh arrived.

You don’t need me to tell you that BA are failing the (soon-to-Brexit) UK, our Commonwealth partners and themselves by not maintaining and developing these routes. It’s long been one of my pet hates of the Walsh regime. But that’s for another thread.

Abeam79

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm

B6 I’ve heard will start flying it from Jfk when the neo’s arrive.

guyanam

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm

TheLion wrote:
dredgy wrote:

Actually, it’s one of many, mainly ex-UK colonies. Guyana, Belize, Iraq, Burma, Brunei, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Sierra Leone, Gambia, plus several Caribbean and South Pacific islands.

Most of these had BA service until the routes were cut, mainly since Willie Walsh arrived.

You don’t need me to tell you that BA are failing the (soon-to-Brexit) UK, our Commonwealth partners and themselves by not maintaining and developing these routes. It’s long been one of my pet hates of the Walsh regime. But that’s for another thread.

Don't quite know which former British islands in the Caribbean with jet facilities lack air service from the UK. SVD doesn't but then their jet airport just opened. In the days when BA flew to GEO it was taking off with 40-60 passengers and had to make 2 stops to fill the plane prior to heading to LHR. The VFR market to the Caribbean was stronger then as were ties between the UK and the Caribbean. BZE never had direct service from the UK.

The English speaking Caribbean has now re-oriented towards the USA and to a lesser extent Canada. That is to be expected given proximity and given that both nations are richer than the UK as well as being more immigrant friendly.

These days UK service to its former Caribbean colonies is mainly to facilitate UK leisure travel. I don't see GEO ever being a major destination of this type.

B737900ER

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm

guyanam wrote:

You really think that GEO is more dangerous or corrupt than Venezuela or Colombia? Or Nigeria? While there are problems these aren't any worse than in some other countries.

Yes.

It may be small but it’s incredibly corrupt. I was held for hours at the airport on “suspicion on drug trafficking”. When they realized I wasn’t going to pay my way out they went as far as dumping all of the contents of my checked bag on the ramp, and then watched as I repacked. My only crime was being a solo foreign traveler. I’ve never been to a country that expected more bribes on all levels of society than Guyana. From government to restaurants to taxi drivers. Everyone thinks that just because you are a foreigner you are rich and they deserve a cut.

As for dangerous, it’s the only place where I’ve been robbed and multiple times at that. Outside of Georgetown it’s not so bad but petty crime and corruption are still rampant. So yes, GEO is worse than Colombia, at least on par with Nigeria, but not as bad as the current state that Venezuela is in. With far less money to be made by foreign investors it’s not worth the risk for a US based carrier to set up and continue operations.

OA260

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Its always been a tough market to make money on. All low yield minimal inbound tourism. In recent years they have tried to attract eco tourism but this is a limited market. Guyana Airways then Guyana 2000 then Universal all failures and unreilable operations. I flew both GY and BW. BWIA became the default national carrier of Guyana. Its a shame Guyana Airways did not have a vision free of government corruption and inability to run an airline. It would if run properly have been a good asset to the country with JFK MIA YYZ links.

No demand at all for UK-Guyana. Most who left in the 60s around Independence rarely went back maybe for funerals etc.. their British born children maybe went to visit once or twice to see their roots but nothing like the diaspora in the USA/Canada who do tend to go back and forth more often and who still have lots of family there. A lot of highly educated Asians left and never went back as the country changed and not in a good sense.

As stated DL got sick of the corruption maybe had it been a better business enviroment they might have stayed with a B737 and made it work. It was a major blow to loose DL.

Galwayman

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm

US carriers are really lazy and prefer codeshares and oligopolic situations , they’re really chasing the high fares low effort revenue .

B737900ER

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Galwayman wrote:
US carriers are really lazy and prefer codeshares and oligopolic situations , they’re really chasing the high fares low effort revenue .

Duh. How do you justify chasing low fare high effort revenue? It’s a business not a non profit charity or an entity designed to make you feel better about yourself. Tell your employees and shareholders that we’re going to make less money so we can work harder. That will go over well.

Cunard

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:10 am

TheLion wrote:
dredgy wrote:

Regarding your list of ex UK Colonies no longer having a connection with London, although British Airways no longer fly to Brunei as their LHR-BWN link was axed in 1980 but Brunei is connected to London as Royal Brunei Airlines fly 6 times a week BWN-DXB-LHR with the Boeing 788, Iraq is also connected to London with Iraqi Airways operating a weekly BGW-LGW with Boeing 738 (Iraqi Airways also serves Manchester).

Although they are not scheduled flights but Gambia is also connected to London as Thomas Cook fly to Banjul in Gambia several times a week during the winter season from BHX, LGW and MAN

amdiesen

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 am

B737900ER wrote:
[url][/url]
DolphinAir747 wrote:

Caribbean airlines has a one stop JFK-POS-GEO. The red eye. You don’t have to leave the plane in POS. It’s about a 45 minute stop if I remember correctly. They just found large deposits of oil and gas so who know what the future holds, but infrastructure there is incredibly underdeveloped. It would take time to make it a mainstream destination, and the diaspora seems content to funnel everything through Trinidad.

Exxon and Tillerson's long-term efforts to mature Stabroek Block will have the eventual effect of reaching UA's fleet planning department. An alternating Hou-Geo / Geo-EWR route on a 737/8 carrying a mix of Pass/Freight.
Sales-broker opportunity: Engage Exxon corporate after negotiating an option for a couple of AS 734 combi's.

tongue-and-cheek:
Until then you might consider a private booking through the Exxon travel dept. Given their experience dealing with notorious social environments, they may have an effective seaplane schedule. HOU--GEO.FPSO.Stabroek... be sure to negotiate with a dependable boat operator to get you shore.

bridge29

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 am

My recent flights into GEO have been packed with business travelers, mostly related to oil and gas. I have a sense more routes to GEO will be coming soon.

DL757NYC

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:18 am

DL pulled out because of issues with either the government or airport. It wasn’t a profit issue. The flight made money. I can’t recall the exact issue but it was publicized

bridge29

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:29 am

DL757NYC wrote:
DL pulled out because of issues with either the government or airport. It wasn’t a profit issue. The flight made money. I can’t recall the exact issue but it was publicized

Actually, it was a precisely a passenger load and revenue issue:

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2013 ... -pull-out/

VC10er

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

What is Guyana’s (and Surinam’s) tourist infrastructure like? Are there resorts etc? I have never been, but I would figure that there is an opportunity given beautiful beaches I’ve seen as well as eco-tourism.
Perhaps too much corruption as stated here, but it seems like a potential great NEW sun chasing destination - no?

OA260

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

VC10er wrote:
What is Guyana’s (and Surinam’s) tourist infrastructure like? Are there resorts etc? I have never been, but I would figure that there is an opportunity given beautiful beaches I’ve seen as well as eco-tourism.
Perhaps too much corruption as stated here, but it seems like a potential great NEW sun chasing destination - no?

Not really for the inexperienced tourist to be honest. No real beach resorts in what most international tourists are used to. Mostly frequented by locals. I would not recommend solo travel and the best way to visit Guyana is on a tour by a known company with experience. Its a great country to visit especially if you are into wildlife and adventure,nature. Georgetown is nice to see with interesting historical places again with a guide.

This from FCO :

Safety and security

Crime

Crime levels remain high and police capacity is low. There are regular armed and violent robberies against businesses and individuals. There is a risk of passers-by being caught up in such incidents - the Police tend to respond with firearms if shot at or threatened. At the end of December 2016 armed robbery had decreased by 6% in comparison to the same period in 2015. At the end of 2016, 142 murders took place compared to 149 at the end of 2015 (in a country with a population of just over 750,000).

At the end of November 2016 the Guyana police force recorded a 16% decrease in serious crimes and a 5% decrease in murders compared to the same period in 2015.

Many of the crimes in Guyana are common to countries with wide gaps in wealth and where the perception is that all foreigners are wealthy. Muggings have taken place in broad daylight. Burglary and theft from cars are commonplace. Take sensible precautions to protect yourself and your belongings. Try to avoid showing obvious signs of wealth.

Take extra precautions to safeguard your passports, money, tickets, mobile phones and other valuables. Even if you are staying with family, do not leave valuables in view. Keep them somewhere less obvious than your baggage. Use hotel safes if possible. You should be particularly vigilant when leaving local banks to ensure that you are not being followed.

In Georgetown, avoid the Tiger Bay and Albouystown areas and take care in Sophia, all of south Georgetown, Buxton and Agricola. Take particular care in the Stabroek Market area where robberies are a daily occurrence and where in January 2011 there was a grenade explosion which killed 1 person. Avoid walking alone around Georgetown, even in the main areas and don’t walk anywhere at night.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d-security

guyanam

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:06 pm

B737900ER wrote:
guyanam wrote:

You really think that GEO is more dangerous or corrupt than Venezuela or Colombia? Or Nigeria? While there are problems these aren't any worse than in some other countries.

Yes.

It may be small but it’s incredibly corrupt. I was held for hours at the airport on “suspicion on drug trafficking”. When they realized I wasn’t going to pay my way out they went as far as dumping all of the contents of my checked bag on the ramp, and then watched as I .

Sorry as soon as you use your experiences to damn a country you lose credibility. When people wish to make a point they cite 3rd party sources DL goes to LOS and US carriers fly to CCS, to Honduras and El Salvador. 3rd party sources deem them all to be more dangerous than GEO.

BTW there are loads of horror stories out of MEX.

guyanam

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

bridge29 wrote:
DL757NYC wrote:

Actually, it was a precisely a passenger load and revenue issue:

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2013 ... -pull-out/

A fly by night carrier called EZjet entered the market, dropped fares to unsustainable levels and forced both BW and DL to match. BW then reconfigured its JFK GEO service to be nonstop rather than operating via POS. The combination of both made DLs route less profitable than it was. They asked for a waiver of fuel taxes which are reportedly high and were denied, so they exited.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos