Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10

Re: Canadian Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
No Rouge 767s on YYZ-YYJ this summer though - 2x 321. The capacity difference shifts to the new YYJ-YUL route.

Do you mean the YUL-YYJ will be operated with the 767? Will YYJ manage with so much capacity added...besides the 321 from YYZ. ;)

MartyMcFlyYYC

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 pm

YYZLGA wrote:
From that description, I don't get the difference between Basic Economy and Tango. No Aeroplan points?

No aeroplane points earned, no bid upgrades, no last minute upgrades. Also unable to change travel dates. So a bit more restrictive than regular old Tango

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
it's worth mentioning again. YQB's first jet service on AC in years. Makes sense with the very strong growth at YQB. I wonder where that Q400 capacity will be redeployed to or whether it'll be used to fill in for DH1s as they're gradually retired? Not only that but YUL-YQB for the first time since circa 1990 will see jet service on YQB-YUL. While service is reduced to 10x on the route, 1x is on a Rouge 319...that also is a first in terms of operating Rouge on a Jazz route.

Yeah, indeed. Here's a link to details. I wonder how long before RV starts offering France or Europe flights from YQB. If TS manage to have it weekly to Paris, and four times during summer, RV should be able to find a place there. Could it be YUL is close, but could it be YYZ or YOW-YQB-Paris?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2018/

Dominion301

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:43 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
No Rouge 767s on YYZ-YYJ this summer though - 2x 321. The capacity difference shifts to the new YYJ-YUL route.

Do you mean the YUL-YYJ will be operated with the 767? Will YYJ manage with so much capacity added...besides the 321 from YYZ. ;)

YUL-YYJ is on 319s and it’s only 4x weekly, so the Rouge capacity boost is minimal.

I’m astounded at how much AC have grown YUL-YVR capacity by. This summer shows 7 daily flights including 1x 333 and 1x 788.

czek6

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 am

What’s the story with Porter? Are they growing or going? Seems like they’ve just faded since their jet plans fell through.

wrongwayup

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:58 am

czek6 wrote:
Are they growing or going?

No.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
YUL-YYJ is on 319s and it’s only 4x weekly, so the Rouge capacity boost is minimal.

Okie dokie.

Dominion301 wrote:
I’m astounded at how much AC have grown YUL-YVR capacity by. This summer shows 7 daily flights including 1x 333 and 1x 788.

Well I guess they serve both as domestic service and shuttles to feed flights to the Pacific and Europe. However I've often seen online AC300 and 302, I believe, being operated by these types. Often the A333 goes YYZ-YUL-YVR-YUL and then to Europe before doing it the other way around. I seem to remember the 788s that heads to BRU from YUL often fly BRU-YUL-YVR and back.

Noise

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm

czek6 wrote:
Are they growing or going? Seems like they’ve just faded since their jet plans fell through.

Not growing.

And yes, they've boxed themselves into a corner by relying upon YTZ for growth. Now that the expansion plans have fallen through, they're stuck.

Skywatcher

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm

The fact that AC has so much YUL-YVR capacity makes me wonder why WestJet is so weak on the route (2 daily 737-700 this summer). It would appear that the customer base is not very western Canadian in origin.

whywhyzee

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 pm

czek6 wrote:
What’s the story with Porter? Are they growing or going? Seems like they’ve just faded since their jet plans fell through.

They just opened a YQT base which could be an interesting swing operation for them, giving them access to further west markets, and proving a link for business to Norther Ontario. I'm not saying it's going to anything more then an important destination/pseudo focus city, but it gives them the space to grow a little.

Dominion301

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:51 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
czek6 wrote:

They just opened a YQT base which could be an interesting swing operation for them, giving them access to further west markets, and proving a link for business to Norther Ontario. I'm not saying it's going to anything more then an important destination/pseudo focus city, but it gives them the space to grow a little.

Yeah we'll see if that's a sign of a push further west than YQT by PD or if it's literally to improve PD's current overall ops/reduce costs. The base also symbolizes Deluce's Northern Ontario roots. They are adding a 7th daily YQT-YYZ as part of the base (a recent enilria OAG thread had a frequency cut to a transborder route to fund this)...meaning that'll be 1x daily more than AC on YQT-Toronto this summer.

A top-up Q400 order by PD would likely signal a westward expansion and the addition of YWG. YWG poses a lot of possibilities for PD such as:
YTZ-YQT-YWG
YOW-YSB-YWG
YOW-YQT-YWG
YOW-YAM-YWG
YOW-YWG
YTZ-YQG-YWG

I bet Northern Ontarians in YSB and YAM would love to finally be able to fly west of YQT without a backtrack to YYZ, especially if it comes from the "Hometown guy's" airline.

In the meantime, the only expansion PD can really undertake is further expansion of weekend ops like the new YQG/YOW-MLB seasonals, expanded YJT-YHZ-YOW-YTZ service as announced for this coming summer. I'd love to see a seasonal Saturday YOW-MYR route get added.

golfradio

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Any idea what PD plans to do with its conditional order for the CS100?

EChid

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:58 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
The fact that AC has so much YUL-YVR capacity makes me wonder why WestJet is so weak on the route (2 daily 737-700 this summer). It would appear that the customer base is not very western Canadian in origin.

It's between two major AC hubs, and the route is high yield business-heavy that probably is heavily linked to corporate contracts, which is an area where AC is king in Canada. It's also connecting lots of YUL customers to Asian flights, and YVR customers to European flights. WestJet provides an inferior experience to frequent flyers in between these two airports, doesn't offer connecting long-haul flights from these airports, and is relatively 'late to the show' since AC has owned this route for a long time and been protected by the government in doing so.

whywhyzee

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Slight topic shift. With EK's new YYZ time slot being announced, it's come to note that they didn't actually chose to move, the GTAA forced them to move forward or lose their gate because their former time was absolutely full. The GTAA has their new master plan in place, and it would seem that they have potentially started construction on the 5 new contact gates on the east side of the commuter pier of T1, is there any news regarding starting the new pier extensions. It's gotten the to the point where T1 is operating above its designed maximum capacity. T3 should be better this summer with the IFT being reactivated, however, that's a problem for another day.

yycdel

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:30 pm

golfradio wrote:

Is the runway extension happening?

whywhyzee

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm

yycdel wrote:
golfradio wrote:

Realistically, unlikely.

EChid

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:49 pm

yycdel wrote:
golfradio wrote:

Not last I heard. My understanding that the Federal government quashed it quickly, even before there was enough time for the NIMBYs to get involved in any serious way or an actual environmental assessment could be completed. At the time, the government's continued cozy relationship with Air Canada and desire to stay in Toronto residents' good books was cited as the major reason for dismissing the proposal.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/po ... e27505191/

This story is not to be confused with this:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/20 ... nsion.html

Which is merely about the airport needing to be extended to meet basic proposed safety changes to support it's current aircraft types.

As for the order, I'm guessing it will die. I don't know how PD could support that many CS' if they can't use them at their major hub.

yyz717

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
czek6 wrote:

Yeah we'll see if that's a sign of a push further west than YQT by PD or if it's literally to improve PD's current overall ops/reduce costs. The base also symbolizes Deluce's Northern Ontario roots. They are adding a 7th daily YQT-YYZ as part of the base (a recent enilria OAG thread had a frequency cut to a transborder route to fund this)...meaning that'll be 1x daily more than AC on YQT-Toronto this summer.

A top-up Q400 order by PD would likely signal a westward expansion and the addition of YWG. YWG poses a lot of possibilities for PD such as:
YTZ-YQT-YWG
YOW-YSB-YWG
YOW-YQT-YWG
YOW-YAM-YWG
YOW-YWG
YTZ-YQG-YWG

I bet Northern Ontarians in YSB and YAM would love to finally be able to fly west of YQT without a backtrack to YYZ, especially if it comes from the "Hometown guy's" airline.

In the meantime, the only expansion PD can really undertake is further expansion of weekend ops like the new YQG/YOW-MLB seasonals, expanded YJT-YHZ-YOW-YTZ service as announced for this coming summer. I'd love to see a seasonal Saturday YOW-MYR route get added.

Moreover, PD has grown its Q400 fleet in the past 14 months from 26 to 29. At the time of the order for the additional 3 tails, Porter reported that they would provide additional operational flexibility and the ability to grow markets other than those x-YTZ. So, yes, they are growing or at least are positioned to grow better.

With respect to possible expansion to Western Canada, I see the most likely routes as being YTZ-YQT-YWG-YYC (with possible nonstop YWG-YTZ eastbound) and YOW-YWG-YYC or YOW-YQT-YYC. The new YQT crew base suggests a possible expansion further west in due course.

yyz717

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:28 pm

whywhyzee wrote:
yycdel wrote:
golfradio wrote:

Realistically, unlikely.

It's arguable that both the runway expansion AND the end of the prohibition on turbofan-powered aircraft will happen in due course. The majority of Toronto residents have always polled in favour of YTZ expansion. A pro-development mayor (Doug Ford?) and a new Federal Conservative government could make it happen within 10 years.

admanager

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 am

.[/quote]

With respect to possible expansion to Western Canada, I see the most likely routes as being YTZ-YQT-YWG-YYC (with possible nonstop YWG-YTZ eastbound) and YOW-YWG-YYC or YOW-YQT-YYC. The new YQT crew base suggests a possible expansion further west in due course.[/quote]

2 stop prop service to western Canada? All we need is a stop in Brandon, Manitoba and we're back to the 1960's.

Skywatcher

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:20 am

Dryden Ontario used to have jet service to YWG and YQT back in the eighties. Does it continue to be a non-viable market? What about Kenora and Fort Frances Ont.?
How about Portage MB and Yorkton SK?

Skywatcher

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:46 am

I took a quick look at the AC schedule for YUL up to Jun.3 like one of the posters above. I noted a few other notable changes.
YUL-YYZ starts 8 x daily 7M8 on March 11. I guess it replaces A320 service.
YUL-NRT (Tokyo) starts on Jun.1.
YUL-YYG (Charlottetown) gets Rouged with an A319 starting in June.

One last thing-YUL to FLL has 5 x daily Rouge B763 service until Mar.10th. Wow.

USAOZ

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 am

Skywatcher wrote:
I took a quick look at the AC schedule for YUL up to Jun.3 like one of the posters above. I noted a few other notable changes.
YUL-YYZ starts 8 x daily 7M8 on March 11. I guess it replaces A320 service.
YUL-NRT (Tokyo) starts on Jun.1.
YUL-YYG (Charlottetown) gets Rouged with an A319 starting in June.

YUL/FLL flights are for cruise market I believe. Some of those ships now take 5,000 people each.

YYZLGA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:04 am

USAOZ wrote:
YUL/FLL flights are for cruise market I believe. Some of those ships now take 5,000 people each.

Cruises are part of it, but Quebeckers love Fort Lauderdale. When you're there, the Quebec license plates are everywhere and you hear French in every restaurant.

USAOZ

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:08 am

YYZLGA wrote:
USAOZ wrote:

Cruises are part of it, but Quebeckers love Fort Lauderdale. When you're there, the Quebec license plates are everywhere and you hear French in every restaurant.
wow how long does that take to drive YUL to FLL ?

admanager

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 am

[/quote]wow how long does that take to drive YUL to FLL ?[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+long+to+drive+ ... Lauderdale

heathrow

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
7F appear to now be stable after several years of turmoil. The 146 Summit sub-contract is in place I think until 2020 at this point. The ATR apparently replaced the 73M on the YEG-YZF-YEV route. Normal Wells was dropped a year ago.

Out east, at least out of YOW, 7F appear to have taken the Celebrity Cruises charter contract away from 5T.

7F are also in desperate need of a major expansion of their YOW cargo facilitiy: http://www.obj.ca/article/kanata-based- ... cargo-area

As for where as 7F's 737s. 1 each at YOW. YUL, YWG and I think the 4th one is at YZF.

Thanks for all the info! I'm glad to hear 7F has found something a little more manageable.

Dominion301 wrote:
I'm surprised they don't try a YEG-YHY-YZF routing 3-5 times/week. Seem like the perfect sized aircraft for such an endeavour.

I have always thought this is a missing link, even if not daily. I'm sure it'd be nothing for one of their ATR's to make the YHY stop en route to YEG a few times a week.

Dominion301 wrote:
YZF-YRT-YFB is operated 2x/week oddly enough on days 1 & 7. It used to be 3x on days 1,3 and 5.

5T is also only 1 and 5 now, missing the flight on day 3.

Hopefully YWG will keep them busy while the rail link is restored!

Thenoflyzone

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Skywatcher wrote:

March break upgauge.

northstardc4m

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Dryden Ontario used to have jet service to YWG and YQT back in the eighties. Does it continue to be a non-viable market? What about Kenora and Fort Frances Ont.?
How about Portage MB and Yorkton SK?

Dryden still has YWG and YQT service still, just on Metros via Bearskin. Dryden has also shrunk economically a bit since 2000 due to the downturn in forestry jobs.

Kenora is less needy to YWG since the highway has been improved, but still has Metro service to YQT, again on Bearskin.

Fort Frances again... YWG, YQT on Bearskin...

Yorkton don't think could really support it... wrong economic factors for the size and distance.

Portage (la Prairie im assuming) too close to Winnipeg (and Brandon).

They never were big markets. Dryden got F.28s because Air Ontario didn't want to base props out of YQT anymore, not due to demand, it was easier to fly the F.28s YYZ-(YAM)-YQT-YHD-YWG than base a pair of Dash 8s in YQT with a spares base, crew, etc.

Jetsouth

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Anyone aware of any future plans for the Kitchener-Waterloo airport? Currently only one flight daily via Westjet to Calgary, two daily flights to Toronto Island, and one weekly flight to Punta Cana via Sunwing. Sure could use more options here!

AvroLanc

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm

yyz717 wrote:
whywhyzee wrote:
yycdel wrote:

Realistically, unlikely.

It's arguable that both the runway expansion AND the end of the prohibition on turbofan-powered aircraft will happen in due course. The majority of Toronto residents have always polled in favour of YTZ expansion. A pro-development mayor (Doug Ford?) and a new Federal Conservative government could make it happen within 10 years.

I would tend to agree with both of the above, Toronto just needs more vision, unfortunately the waterfront all the way to Port Credit is chock full of NIMBY's. Orders maybe defered for now but will come. Porter needs to figure out how to utilize these aircraft soon by utilizing new longer routes and possibly look for a secondary hub.

YYZLGA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:01 am

Has any major carrier ever flown to Tofino? It's getting to be a pretty popular and high-end tourist destination. I'm surprised AC or Westjet Encore don't have summer seasonal flights.

Topguncanada

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:13 am

Pacific Coastal is starting sked service in April...thats as major as it has ever been. It will likely do very well.

Topguncanada

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 am

Significant AC network/schedule announcement coming in the next few days.

Dominion301

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:15 am

Topguncanada wrote:

I think it involves more transatlantic MAX routes, namely YHZ-FRA. The 763 and especially the 7M8 schedules for YHZ don’t make much sense. The 763 for AC860/1, has the aircraft arriving from LHR at 1345 but there is no more YHZ-YYZ-YHZ 763 rotation. In addition AC888/9’s schedules don’ allow for aircraft to be rotated at LHR, so something there is not adding up. Maybe AC acquired another LHR slot to restart Y

Would love to see some non big 4 hub route announcements/capacity increases on top of what’s already loaded after years of stagnation at their focus cities (i.e. YHZ, YOW, YWG and YEG).

Dominion301

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:57 am

Ran out of time to edit my last post, so here’s what I wanted to say:

Topguncanada wrote:

I think it involves more transatlantic MAX routes. The 763 and especially the 7M8 schedules for YHZ don’t make much sense. The 763 for AC860/1, has the aircraft arriving from LHR at 1345 but there is no more YHZ-YYZ-YHZ 763 rotation. In addition YOW’s AC888/9’s schedules don’t allow for aircraft to be rotated at LHR, so something there is not adding up. Maybe AC acquired another LHR slot to restart YEG yet again? Or...

It’s the oddity for the 7M8 at YHZ. AC620 from YYZ arrives at YHZ at 2200; but it’s clearly not a RON as there’s no early morning 7M8 YHZ departures loaded. Likewise AC617 to YYZ at 1445 (which I think used to be the 763) is a 7M8 with no loaded inbound. So either AC are announcing YHZ-DUB (not enough time for a YHZ-FRA rotation and on second thought with Condor long entrenched at YHZ, FRA doesn’t add up) or AC are downgauging YHZ-LHR to a 7M8 as the AC861 and 617 schedules align perfectly for this (as do AC620 & 860), and they simply haven’t yet made the equipment change. Moving YHZ-LHR to a 7M8 makes complete sense to cope with WS’ transatlantic YHZ onslaught, including LGW. That might be the only 7M8 change given how YYZ-YYZ has a lot of MAX loaded and all 32x YUL Rapidairs are getting MAXed...whereas YOW sees an increase in 32x Rapidair flying.

Having said that, I would love to see AC finally show some love to their non big 4 hubs for new route announcements/capacity increases on top of what’s already loaded after years of stagnation at their focus cities (i.e. YHZ, YOW, YWG and YEG). YEG is already starting to see this with SFO, YYJ and YLW coming online...the latter two plus YYC-YCD explain where YQB’s Q400 flying was shifted to.

CrewBunk

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 am

Dominion301 wrote:
Topguncanada wrote:

I think it involves more transatlantic MAX routes, namely YHZ-FRA.

I heard it was a lot of changes in YVR. Moving a lot of Rouge routes back to mainline. My guess would be YVR-Hawaii going to the MAX

Speedalive

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 pm

czek6 wrote:

Porter came to my flight school to do a little presentation about who they are and why they're a good place to work, etc.. One of the presenters said that once they get US pre-clearance, they're looking at starting up to 17 new destinations in the states.. yes.. 17. They also still have their conditional order for CSeries in place and apparently Bob Deluce is adamant that they'll get their jets and YTZ expansion..

Speedalive

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:27 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Topguncanada wrote:

I think it involves more transatlantic MAX routes, namely YHZ-FRA.

I heard it was a lot of changes in YVR. Moving a lot of Rouge routes back to mainline. My guess would be YVR-Hawaii going to the MAX

I've heard that as of November 2018, the following changes will occur:

1. YYC-OGG downgauge from Rouge 763 to 737MAX, but increasing to 4x weekly from 3x weekly
2. YYC-CUN also switched to MAX from Rouge 763, but no change in frequency from 3x weekly
3. YVR-HNL/OGG/KOA/CUN/ZIH all switching to 737 MAX from Rouge, but no word on frequency.

Also it looks like AC is interested in further expansion into TLV with the expanded air service agreement.
https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2018-01-25-Air-Canada-Welcomes-Expanded-Canada-Israel-Air-Services-Agreement

Thenoflyzone

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:35 pm

TS and AC have already announced an increase in service on YUL-TLV to 3x weekly each next summer. They both served the route 2x weekly last year.

CrewBunk

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:36 pm

Speedalive wrote:
czek6 wrote:

Porter came to my flight school to do a little presentation about who they are and why they're a good place to work, etc.. One of the presenters said that once they get US pre-clearance, they're looking at starting up to 17 new destinations in the states.. yes.. 17. They also still have their conditional order for CSeries in place and apparently Bob Deluce is adamant that they'll get their jets and YTZ expansion..

So where are they cancelling?

They are at maximum slots now, so any American expansion would be at the expense of somewhere else

Thenoflyzone

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Speedalive wrote:
czek6 wrote:

Is there even room for pre-clearance in that tiny terminal ? A family member travels through YTZ twice a month, and she says it's packed to the gills every time ! The lounge is packed, and doesn't serve it's purpose anymore apparently.

Not sure there is room to add 17 new destinations out of that tiny terminal, unless they plan to expand it.

CrewBunk wrote:

They are at maximum slots now, so any American expansion would be at the expense of somewhere else

My sentiments exactly. :checkmark:
Last edited by Thenoflyzone on Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Speedalive

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Speedalive wrote:
czek6 wrote:

Is there even room for pre-clearance in that tiny terminal ? A family member travels through YTZ twice a month, and she says it's packed to the gills every time ! The lounge is packed, and doesn't serve it's purpose anymore apparently.

Not sure there is room to add 17 new destinations out of that tiny terminal, unless they plan to expand it.

CrewBunk wrote:

My sentiments exactly. :checkmark:
CrewBunk wrote:
Speedalive wrote:
czek6 wrote:

I have no idea how they're going to work it out. I live far from Toronto so I'm not sure what's going on, but aren't they in the process of expanding their terminal or about to?

neromancer

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:57 pm

YTZ is currently undergoing a 25,000 sqft expansion to their terminal. And it is supposed to include US customs pre-clearance. But I don't think this will support 17 new destinations.

https://www.portstoronto.com/airport/bu ... rades.aspx

There was a rumour in some of the C-Series threads that Porter might take delivery of the CS100's and open a second hub. I don't fully recall but I believe the rumour was that Porter was looking at YOW as a possible second hub.

CFWAD

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 am

Can anyone confirm if Integra has bought out YVR-based Orca Airways? Integra seems to be running some of their YAZ flights with the J31 and under the BXH call sign lately.

Whiteguy

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:45 pm

CFWAD wrote:
Can anyone confirm if Integra has bought out YVR-based Orca Airways? Integra seems to be running some of their YAZ flights with the J31 and under the BXH call sign lately.

Yes they have been purchased by Integra.

CanadianNorth

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

heathrow wrote:
4N has announced YXY - YYJ which starts in May. It is part of their YLW service, though I can't remember in which direction.

Yes, Whitehorse - Victoria sched is the news here in the Yukon. 4N (Air North) schedule since the launch of YLW a few years ago has had the YLW service in with the afternoon YVR fights on Sundays and Thursdays, with alternating directions (one of the days goes YXY-YLW-YVR-YXY while the other goes YXY-YVR-YLW-YXY). Starting in May the YXY/YVR flights will all be non-stop again (same frequency, morning flight is daily and evening flight is every day except Saturday), and YLW will be with YYJ instead. If I remember right it's planned for Mondays and Fridays, with Monday being YXY-YLW-YYJ-YXY and Friday being YXY-YYJ-YLW-YXY.

Other summer news for the Yukon this year is WestJet has dropped their seasonal summer YVR-YXY-YVR service and is planning to try YYC-YXY-YYC four days per week for the summer instead, still with 737s (YVR/YXY seemed to be a mix of 737-600s and 737-700s). Air North summer schedule has YXY-YYC-YEG-YXY increasing from the current 4x weekly to 6x weekly, which is the usual seasonal increase.

Other than that it looks like just the usual summer frequency increases coming up... 4N's YXY-YZF-YOW goes three days per week for the summer again and the north sched has some extra afternoon flights added. Appears it will be another season of 4N's last 737-200 operating YDA/FAI for Holland America, still with the -200 due to the gravel runway in Dawson. Rumor has it Dawson will most likely be paved in the next year or two. 4N's scheduled flights are fairly set as ATR42s do YXY - North, and 737-400 and 737-500s are used interchangeably on the YXY - South routes. The 737-200 and HS-748s do lots of charter work, and occasionally make an appearance on the scheds but pretty rarely now. Air Canada is keeping YVR-YXY-YVR with the Jazz CRJ900s, currently 2x daily and adding a third flight a few days per week for the summer season. Condor appears to be sticking with their usual FRA-YXY-FRA on Sundays May through September with 767s.

Dominion301

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Wasn’t DE 2x weekly at YXY until a couple of years ago?

As for Porter, whatever they add transborder out of YTZ will come at the expense of domestic flying. They actually are cutting a transborder frequency in order to fund a seventh daily YQT...unless PD plan on adding a bunch more seasonal US leisure cities on weekends like CHS or SAV or PWM.

If PD want any true growth it’ll have to come outside of YTZ like last year’s additions of YFC and YSJ to YOW, with YTZ indirectly benefiting via more 1-stops that don’t affect their slots.

Dominion301

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm

CFWAD wrote:

Orca's main competitor Island Air Express had a takeoff accident at YXX last Friday on a charter flight with a King Air 100. 4 of the 10 on board were injured, but fortunately none were serious.

CanadianNorth

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Wasn’t DE 2x weekly at YXY until a couple of years ago?

It was for several seasons, but YXY was a triangle with the Alaska flights. If I remember right it was Tuesdays and Thursdays FRA-YXY-ANC-FRA, though I feel like it might have gone to Fairbanks instead on one of the days, but I can't remember for sure now.

Anyways, starting a few years back they replaced the 2x weekly triangle with a 1x weekly stand alone FRA-YXY-FRA on Sundays, so basically the same capacity just arranged differently.