Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Skywatcher

Re: Canadian Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Regarding the YFC expansion-why is the Federal government funding 60% of the cost? Why doesn't the local airport authority self fund like others across Canada?

Dominion301

Wed May 02, 2018 5:11 pm

admanager wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
YFC announced their expansion plans today: https://www.frederictonairport.ca/Lates ... aking-off/

So they plan to increase the size of the terminal by 50% and have more space and nice amenities, but no mention of new gates or potential cost. That was a sorry press release.

The feds and province are each contributing $9 million to the project. Here's the Government's press release on the YFC expansion: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/g ... 52081.html

Skywatcher wrote:
Regarding the YFC expansion-why is the Federal government funding 60% of the cost? Why doesn't the local airport authority self fund like others across Canada?

Given the size of the airport, there is no way the YFC Airport Authority would be able to fund this on their own. Small airports qualify for government improvement project funding like this and other things like ACAP due to the small amount of revenue they generate.

Skywatcher

Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm

It's interesting to see how the federal funds are distributed geographically. New Brunswick is benefitting way above their demographic weight (i.e. more funding per capita than elsewhere). Surprisingly Quebec and Nova Scotia (perennially accused of benefiting more than they should) are underfunded on a per capita basis by quite a lot. I wonder how it is decided to distribute this pork?

wave46

Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
It's interesting to see how the federal funds are distributed geographically. New Brunswick is benefitting way above their demographic weight (i.e. more funding per capita than elsewhere). Surprisingly Quebec and Nova Scotia (perennially accused of benefiting more than they should) are underfunded on a per capita basis by quite a lot. I wonder how it is decided to distribute this pork?

I was looking at some of the links, but I couldn't find the per capita figures. Could you show me where that information was posted?

Dominion301

Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Skywatcher wrote:

I'd hardly call badly needed infrastructure investments "pork". An airport the size of YFC cannot afford a $40 million expansion on its own. Even though YFC is "booming" it's yearly passenger traffic is about equivalent to one month at YOW, a mid-sized $105ish million annual revenue airport.

flyb

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 am

Not totally unexpected, Flair Airlines moves HQ to Edmonton (YEG).

More expansion plans expected to be announced in July. Possible US destinations for winter.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-n ... nouncement

Dominion301

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 pm

flyb wrote:

More expansion plans expected to be announced in July. Possible US destinations for winter.

Let's see whether the likes of YOW/YUL-YEG will happen. It is so puzzling why no Flair has thus far ignored two of the largest cities in the country.

wave46

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
flyb wrote:

Let's see whether the likes of YOW/YUL-YEG will happen. It is so puzzling why no Flair has thus far ignored two of the largest cities in the country.

Challenges with finding bilingual staff, maybe?

airnorth

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Lots of interesting stuff in the YVR 2037 master plan, including the North South Taxi way where planes will taxi OVER the Canada Line, and Grant McConachie Way! I think that will look pretty cool, both from the ground, and the airplane, that is suppose to start in the next 10 years. Plus the potential option of a new "Foreshore" runway fully into the ocean, really amazing stuff.

https://www.yvr2037.ca/

Dominion301

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 am

wave46 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
flyb wrote:

Challenges with finding bilingual staff, maybe?

Possibly, but that’s a really weak excuse as WS to this day still struggle to have a French speaking F/A onboard flights to bilingual cities.

binayak

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 am

Just heard that AC will be cancelling YYZ BOM route during summer 2019 .
Any idea why they're doing so? Is the route going to be seasonal or permanent cancellation?

jmt18325

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 am

Air Canada is also ending nonstop flights to EZE that they started this year. It will go back to being a direct one stop in SCL.

whywhyzee

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:01 am

ACs S19 program accounts for all available widebody capacity, with little to no slack available. BOM and EZE wouldn't be possible unless other routes were cancelled, given the addition of VIE and several upguages across the network. BOM I could see becoming seasonal, it seems far too important a market to pull out of at this time, and EZE likely could make a comeback if AC chooses to add more widebodies at mainline.

As it stands, accounting for the 767 replacements, there is zero room for growth in the mainline long haul fleet. By my count, every frame is accounted for on a route, and there is virtually no slack that I can see. Unless they add more planes, they are absolutely maxed out growth wise for long hauls unless they add more long 737max flying.

Long story short, no new widebodies = no new routes or frequency increases during peak seasons.

They do have the ability to expand somewhat using Rouge, but that is limited to non-core markets where full service is warranted. Same goes for the max realistically. The next 6-8 months will be telling, they could add more used widebodies to continue growing, or stop and focus on what they have and improving yields year round. Both have associated risk, it's a hard call to make.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos