This is just another example of using basic and very general data on face value
I cited various data for the ICN proposition, which were largely just ignored or put down with statements like "from directly inside NZ ICN is not a focus
So, yes, I didn't bother to look for the statistics on MEX (I now have - see below), but was specific with arguments like hot / high conditions inhibiting QF.
Is Central America an area which is going to grow and be profitable over the next 10-20 years or longer?
Isn't that time-frame a bit arbitrary, given that NZ has stopped and re-started numerous destinations in that period, like DPS, SIN and YVR?
IMHO, it is quite telling that, according to the main Mexican tourism body, "Australia is the main market for Mexico without direct flights
- ~77,000 Australians visited Mexico in 2016 (compared to ~55,000 Chinese going to Mexico, and just ~50,000 Australians going to Brazil).
- ~11,000 Mexicans visited Australia in 2017, double that of the 2013 number (to compare, Brazil had ~55,000 and Argentina had ~23,000).
- http://www.dadosefatos.turismo.gov.br/2 ... 53-05.html
- http://www.tourism.australia.com/en/mar ... ivals.html
The market is skewed towards Australians visiting MEX, and not the other way around, which plays into NZ's brand recognition in Australia.
Latin America ... that's would be a big "Region", it's basically one and half continents
I'm not really sure what your point is with this statement - there's nothing "would" about it - Latin America is
a region, which both EZE and MEX are in.
Cam Wallace's statement is explicitly specific to South America - not to Latin America, which means that MEX cannot be ruled out, like GRU or SCL.
BOM doesn't work, why would MEX
- There being a huge number of in-direct carriers flying between New Zealand and India, but not between New Zealand and Mexico.
- There being an ability to feed Mexico with Australian connections, but not to India, given back-tracking linked with AKL's geography.
- The advantage of AKL being one of the furthermost away cities able to be reached from MEX - absent from any BOM proposition.
The list goes on, and on, and on ...