tinpusher007
Topic Author

Delta eyes return to Persian Gulf region after US strikes deal with Qatar

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:26 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/30/delta-eyes-return-to-persian-gulf-region-after-us-strikes-deal-with-qatar.html

Other than the 5th freedoms, it seems like not much is changing with this deal. Discuss...
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

enilria

Re: Delta eyes return to Persian Gulf region after US strikes deal with Qatar

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 am

Delta would lose its butt flying to Qatar. Doha has very little destination market. They won't fly there. This is just declaring victory.

LOWS

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 am

Wasn't there previously IAD-DOH on UA? Or was that a tag to/from KWI?

United1

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 am

LOWS wrote:

It was a tag on from KWI...

UA flew:
IAD-KWI-DOH
IAD-DXB-BAH
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

FSDan

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 am

This is the quote from the article that I found interesting:

"We need to have a presence in the Middle East. We need to have a presence in India and other parts of Southeast Asia, which we have been run out," Bastian told CNBC.

This seems to indicate that DL is at least looking at serving India with their own metal. I think a resumption of JFK-BOM using 359 equipment could be much better this time around than when DL tried it last. More efficient aircraft + strong partner in India (9W) + no existing nonstop on the route. If DL has been "run out" of Southeast Asia, though, it's not because of the ME3. Any route DL starts to BKK, SGN, etc. will be from the West Coast, meaning the competition is CX, BR, SQ...

If DL resumes flights to the Middle East (besides Israel), I expect it will be to DXB again. Not very many other Middle East markets are going to have the same amount of U.S. POS traffic.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

berari

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:53 am

FSDan wrote:
"We need to have a presence in the Middle East. We need to have a presence in India and other parts of Southeast Asia, which we have been run out," Bastian told CNBC.

Nothing has changed. All that we have now is that QR will open its books. There is no admission or revelation [yet] of any subsidy. Nor has there been any change in the Open Skies between Qatar and US. QR is also not bound by its statement that it has no 5th freedom flights in the pipelines.

And now, as a result perhaps, DL says that they need presence in the Middle East? What new grounds of proven information do they have to determine profitability or competitiveness?

DL did operate to India in the past, the market between US and India is there. They were "run out" because they were not competitive.

Nothing has changed.

jasoncrh

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:08 am

No. It was iad-dxb-doh, and iad-Kwi-bah

United1 wrote:
LOWS wrote:

It was a tag on from KWI...

UA flew:
IAD-KWI-DOH
IAD-DXB-BAH

N292UX

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 am

I'm sure there's a certain someone who thinks DL will start DTW-DOH...

NichCage

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 am

I think it would be pretty nice to see EK fly DXB-ATL, but I don't think it will happen just yet.

stl07

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:40 am

N292UX wrote:

Honestly, now that DTW-AMM has been running for years with no connections on the US side and few on the Jordanian side I wouldn't make fun of it, and I'm about done with guessing which routes would work and which wouldn't to the ME

Varsity1

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 am

The details of the agreement haven't been released. It's safe to assume they won't be until the negotiations with the U.A.E conclude.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

DWC

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:59 am

berari wrote:
FSDan wrote:
DL did operate to India in the past, the market between US and India is there. They were "run out" because they were not competitive.
Nothing has changed.

US3 will have to upgrade their service & have arabic speaking FAs.
They will also have to be price-competitive with the ME3, EK & QR particularly.
I for one will avoid them until I see true quality service competitiveness with ME3 or good asian carriers. Chances are that most in SE Asia, India & the Middle East will keep that reflex, not least because of the US3 abysmal devalued FF programmes. Also, both QR's new QSuites & customer service and EK's Skywards & IFE are unrivalled anywhere, I even think CX & SQ could learn a thing or two...

Varsity1

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 am

DWC wrote:
berari wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Nothing has changed.

They will also have to be price-competitive with the ME3, EK & QR particularly.
I for one will avoid them until I see true quality service competitiveness with ME3 or good asian carriers. Chances are that most in India & the Middle East will keep that reflex, not least because of the US3 abysmal devalued FF programmes, both QR's new QSuites & customer service and EK's Skywards & IFE are unrivalled anywhere, I even think CX & SQ could learn a thing or two...

It's easy to have a nice product when your organization is a hood ornament for a sovereign government with no expectations of profitability, let alone world-leading margins..

Could you imagine the fleet if the USAF had an airline?
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

LH658

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 am

Jordan is a friend of the US, Jordan isn't unsafe. So I can see DL flying there, as they can get traffic from other cities. The business and cargo traffic, I am not sure about.

Varsity1

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 am

LH658 wrote:
Jordan is a friend of the US, Jordan isn't unsafe. So I can see DL flying there, as they can get traffic from other cities. The business and cargo traffic, I am not sure about.

Delta is sniffing the DOD traffic to Al Udeid and other regional bases.

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:38 am

Be interesting to see what eqp they'd use if they return:

low-MTOW new A350s, or ultra-powerful paid-off but less-efficient 77Ls?

Will be fun to observe, if they launch it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

RichardWelling

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 am

QR only utilises their 5th freedom rights for their cargo operation ex USA. I wonder if their new agreement will affect their cargo operation. I remember a while back that QR was interested in starting JFK-ATH-DOH. There was quite alot of fanfare but that slowly fizzled and died.

panamair

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:16 am

DWC wrote:
US3 will have to upgrade their service & have arabic speaking FAs..

Um.,Delta has Arabic-speaking FAs..they have had them for a long time now...since the first round of service to CAI and DXB back in the 90s.

It’s also funny how you choose to ignore the aspects where the ME3 are worse than others such as 3-4-3 in Y on the 777 while Delta is still keeping its 777s in a 3-3-3 config, or that every Delta J cabin offers direct aisle access flat bed seats while EK continues to insist on a middle J seat...did you also know that in Y on long hauls Delta offers a choice of THREE options for the main meal, that every pax gets an amenity pack and water bottle, hot towels, and menus? If you want to criticize, at least get your facts right and keep up with what’s going on!

scbriml

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:42 am

Wake me when they actually start a service. :zzz:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

LH658

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 am

panamair wrote:
DWC wrote:

Um.,Delta has Arabic-speaking FAs..they have had them for a long time now...since the first round of service to CAI and DXB back in the 90s.

It’s also funny how you choose to ignore the aspects where the ME3 are worse than others such as 3-4-3 in Y on the 777 while Delta is still keeping its 777s in a 3-3-3 config, or that every Delta J cabin offers direct aisle access flat bed seats while EK continues to insist on a middle J seat...did you also know that in Y on long hauls Delta offers a choice of THREE options for the main meal, that every pax gets an amenity pack and water bottle, hot towels, and menus? If you want to criticize, at least get your facts right and keep up with what’s going on!

Usually the ME3 offer 3 choices or so, plus hot towel, plus amenity kits, better IFE, Wifi, EK offers free wifi for limited time, plus decent snacks throughout the flight, better lounges, EK might have 2-3-2 it service is good as well as food. QR 777 are 2-2-2 though again service is right on, EY all aisle access, and many more reason why ME3 are better.

Delta only can win loyal skyteam customers, EK only works if you have a QF membership then you can earn Oneworld plus EK miles, and QR is Oneworld carrier, EY has worst out them all.

QR 777lr are 3-3-3. EK 777 is 3-4-3, and so is EY.

piedmontf284000

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 am

They'll restart service. Lose more money. Complain again that the ME3 have an unfair advantage over them and ask for a 'level' playing field. Rinse. Repeat. Recycle.

B777LRF

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:50 am

I'll believe it when I see the first DL aircraft landing in Doha. At best it would be a tag-on, probably from Dubai.

DWC wrote:

On the first point you're probably right, on the second you're very far off indeed. EK, EY and QR hardly have any arabic speaking FAs themselves, and as anyone who's been in the region can attest to, nobody in the local service industry speaks arabic either. Mainly because none of the locals would even dream of 'lowering' themselves to take a service industry job. Therefore the 'locals' are well acquainted with the fact, they can't speak their local language when they go shopping or travelling.
Signature. You just read one.

xwb777

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:58 am

So will we see them back at DXB? I am not sure about DOH and AUH.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:23 am

panamair wrote:
DWC wrote:

panamair - you have the audacity to criticize others and tell them to get their facts straight when YOU don't even have yours straight?!

1). NO, not every DL J cabin has direct aisle access. Please show us their international config flat bed 757's that do.

2). EK only has a middle J seat on 77W's. The new config 77L's and A380's have direct aisle access in J.

us330

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 pm

LOWS wrote:

Realistically, the only carrier who could make US-AUH/DOH/DXB work would be UA because of the amount of government traffic from the DMV region to the Middle East. Outside of that, there's really not much O&D traffic to that area from the U.S.--it's primarily connections.

If American and Qatar had a decent working relationship, I could see the possibility of American serving DOH because they'd have significant feed from QR. Given that relations between the two are frosty and that Qatar already serves DOH from most of American's hubs, American won't be flying there anytime soon.

Delta's best option to "serve" the Persian Gulf region and SE Asia is by expanding their joint ventures with AF/KL and KE.

DWC

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm

B777LRF wrote:
DWC wrote:

On the first point you're probably right, on the second you're very far off indeed. EK, EY and QR hardly have any arabic speaking FAs themselves, and as anyone who's been in the region can attest to, nobody in the local service industry speaks arabic either. Mainly because none of the locals would even dream of 'lowering' themselves to take a service industry job. Therefore the 'locals' are well acquainted with the fact, they can't speak their local language when they go shopping or travelling.

It is my understanding that ME3 flights have at least one FA who speaks Arabic "just in case".
But my comment was about service differenciation : I see little chance UAE or Qatar Nationals fly US airlines out of their home country, so after Bastian's address, I think they will have to work with transfers & codeshares with other Alliance arabic airlines ( Saudia ), Irak & Yemen are now a mess but in the future... But for these & Saudians, as they don't speak much English, they will need arabic-speaking FAs, supposing they start service - which I doubt.

LH658 wrote:
panamair wrote:

Usually the ME3 offer 3 choices or so, plus hot towel, plus amenity kits, better IFE, Wifi, EK offers free wifi for limited time, plus decent snacks throughout the flight, better lounges, EK might have 2-3-2 it service is good as well as food. QR 777 are 2-2-2 though again service is right on, EY all aisle access, and many more reason why ME3 are better.
Delta only can win loyal skyteam customers, EK only works if you have a QF membership then you can earn Oneworld plus EK miles, and QR is Oneworld carrier, EY has worst out them all.
QR 777lr are 3-3-3. EK 777 is 3-4-3, and so is EY.

That was back in the 1990s, are you sure those FAs are still around ? If not they will have to hire new ones, which is my point.
UA pulled out of the region, they have not stated any intention to return to the Middle East ( but are flying to India & Singapore )
As to your comment, LH658 has answered to you well. Few airlines fly 3-3-3 in their 777s, I have flown 3-4-3 777s on EK and frankly, I did not see much of a difference considering how good was the IFE or the food. My major concern with 777s is that they are very noisy, no airline's fault. Also, I don't understand the criticism about EK's new biz product : if you don't want to be in the middle seat, you still have all the other seats with direct access to the aisle, I for one always stay by the window & do not need to stroll around, plus their product is still way better than most J everywhere. But then you chose not to mention QR's new QSuites, which look phenomenal, but I for one do not like this "compartiment thing", cuts precisely all human contact & does make me feel somewhat claustrophic. I think LH got that right : no compartments in J or F.
Last, I have flown all US airlines, I used to love CO for their service, I now find them all subpar & my recent customer experience with DL & AA have been abysmally negative.
Last edited by DWC on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

worldranger

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
panamair wrote:
DWC wrote:

panamair - you have the audacity to criticize others and tell them to get their facts straight when YOU don't even have yours straight?!

1). NO, not every DL J cabin has direct aisle access. Please show us their international config flat bed 757's that do.

2). EK only has a middle J seat on 77W's. The new config 77L's and A380's have direct aisle access in J.

Any info on EK’s reconfigured 77L. It’s been quiet lately

Re DL & US3 - funny how their subsidized SkyTeam partners Saudia, Aeroflot and their ownership stakes in subsidized Chinese carriers gets swept aside when they take the moral high ground.

My bet DL will take another shot at DXB from ATL

vadodara

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

As others have already said, DL probably has a very low level interest in flying to either DXB, DOH or Abu Dhabi.

Their best chance of getting back at ME3 is to strike at their connecting traffic. In that regard, their expansion with 9W will be more competitive. Chances of restarting a JFK-BOM are higher than ever. In addition, they could use 9W to funnel traffic to India or SE Asian cities.

Eithopian has been growing at a pretty decent pace; perhaps, there is also a developing N. African market. This will best be covered thru AMS/CDG.

Antarius

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

stl07 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Honestly, now that DTW-AMM has been running for years with no connections on the US side and few on the Jordanian side I wouldn't make fun of it, and I'm about done with guessing which routes would work and which wouldn't to the ME

The key for this flight is the onward RJ connections. Detroit has a huge ME population - Lebanese, Palestinians, Yemeni etc and RJ can get them there.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

evank516

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:59 pm

NichCage wrote:
I think it would be pretty nice to see EK fly DXB-ATL, but I don't think it will happen just yet.

If EK does that you will see Delta announce it the next day. Guarantee you.

burnsie28

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:15 pm

worldranger wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
panamair wrote:

Re DL & US3 - funny how their subsidized SkyTeam partners Saudia, Aeroflot and their ownership stakes in subsidized Chinese carriers gets swept aside when they take the moral high ground.

I think the difference on that and this was in a news article sometime back that those carriers flat out show those subsidies on their books and don't deny nor hide them. Also, those are not nearly the amount that the ME3 have received.

B737900ER

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:46 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Which route does the DL 757 compete with the ME3?

Context people. Context. Taking it into consideration might actually make your reply look educated. Instead of an emotional rant.

flyfresno

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm

DXB and/or BOM. I can’t imagine anything more in the next 5 years.

LAXdude1023

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:57 pm

DL will lose their shirt to any destination they fly to in the Middle East. Then they will cancel it and complain that they are being treated unfairly. Nothing has changed.
Next flight: IAH-UIO-IAH on UA in Y

flyfresno

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:20 pm

On a side note, its amazing how we can’t have a discussion on this forum without so many people viamently (and sometimes un-objectively) taking sides in the ME3/US3 debate.

CaliguyNYC

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:51 pm

FSDan wrote:

This seems to indicate that DL is at least looking at serving India with their own metal. I think a resumption of JFK-BOM using 359 equipment could be much better this time around than when DL tried it last. More efficient aircraft + strong partner in India (9W) + no existing nonstop on the route. If DL has been "run out" of Southeast Asia, though, it's not because of the ME3. Any route DL starts to BKK, SGN, etc. will be from the West Coast, meaning the competition is CX, BR, SQ...

If DL resumes flights to the Middle East (besides Israel), I expect it will be to DXB again. Not very many other Middle East markets are going to have the same amount of U.S. POS traffic.

I agree the A359 would be perfect for JFK-BOM (although don't think JFK is a 359 base). Plus J, Premium Y and Y is ideal for such a long route. AC & AI have proven that NA pax will pay a premium for nonstops (very different from 5 years ago). I think people needed to just take the nonstop to see how much better it was over a one-step in EU. DL needs to be smart though. I think any JFK-BOM flight needs to have connections on both ends. Last time they had the UA schedule of late departure from JFK and early morning (midnight/1am) from BOM. I think they should copy AI's times and leave JFK in the afternoon (when ever their first afternoon bank comes in) and then arrive BOM in time for as many evening/ night connections as possible. Plus an early BOM arrival (between 3pm and 6pm) gives people options over the current EU flights that get in at midnight and leave at 2:45am. There is a subset of people willing to pay a bit more to not arrive India in the middle of the night (my mom being one of them). The return should leave BOM at 10pm or so and arrive JFK at 4:30/5am to connect to 6am flights out. Before people say 4:30am is too early, it allows (1) NYC bound paxs to actually have some time at home to relax before going to work - its a super long flight and (2) it gets connecting pax to their final destination with more of the day - I hate the GIG-ATL-LGA flight because it gets into NYC at 10:30am - way too late.

Oh, I doubt they will start DXB. United used to have dirt cheap fares to KWI and DXB with onward to India (I assume to fill the pack of the plane). If DL did the same now, they would undermine their US-EU-India business. Better to serve US FF via AMS/LHR/CDG to reach the Middle East (I would never fly EK to DXB for a business trip because I have status on Skyteam and why waste so many points). If DL wants to hurt the ME3 with a price war, just discount the EU connections one. Starting a nonstop that doesn't have enough demand is pointless. JFK-BOM will at least fit in well with their NYC banking/tech clients. Also will help Jet's BOM corp clients as NYC, LHR, HKG, SIN, DXB are probably the top business routes out of BOM.
Last edited by CaliguyNYC on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aeropix

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:56 pm

FSDan wrote:

"We need to have a presence in the Middle East. ... Not very many other Middle East markets are going to have the same amount of U.S. POS traffic.

Do the Passengers Of Size (POS) perhaps require the wider seats on the Delta 777's? I think the POS could buy business class seats on existing carriers, if required by their physical dimensions. Why are so many larger folks visiting the Middle east? For the food?

Spiderguy252

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:01 pm

B777LRF wrote:
I'll believe it when I see the first DL aircraft landing in Doha. At best it would be a tag-on, probably from Dubai.

You will have to count on the diplomatic rift in the Gulf region being resolved before that were possible.
Vahroone

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:24 pm

B737900ER wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Which route does the DL 757 compete with the ME3?

Context people. Context. Taking it into consideration might actually make your reply look educated. Instead of an emotional rant.

What are you talking about? The comment I replied to specifically said "or that every Delta J cabin offers direct aisle access flat bed seats while EK continues to insist on a middle J seat."

Please tell us where panamair said anything about DL using planes with a J cabin with all aisle access on routes that compete with the ME3?

And for the record - DL uses their 757 with J cabins that don't have all aisle access to Europe. Last time I checked EK flys JFK/EWR- Europe.

flymco753

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:31 pm

Antarius wrote:
stl07 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

The key for this flight is the onward RJ connections. Detroit has a huge ME population - Lebanese, Palestinians, Yemeni etc and RJ can get them there.
There’s a certain user though that’ll imply that DTW has taken over the thread and Chicago or Dallas much larger and faster growing Middle East populations than Detroit which is simply not true. If DL were to add from DTW to the Middle East, their best investment would be to go to AMM or BEY at that. A Gulf carrier is better off doing the gulf for India connections.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

TWA902fly

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm

stl07 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

RJ caters to VFR traffic given Detroit's large Arab population - the biggest origin of which is Iraq. DL wouldn't go after this group.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

klwright69

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Middle Eastern carriers always have at least one or two Arabic speakers, often from Lebanon, Jordan, or Morocco, or Egypt.
They need PA announcements in the local language.
No US carrier will ever serve DOH. It's a tiny place. UAE or KSA is more likely.

IPFreely

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:48 am

evank516 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

You will see Delta announce what?

B777LRF

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:04 am

DWC wrote:
[I see little chance UAE or Qatar Nationals fly US airlines out of their home country, so after Bastian's address, I think they will have to work with transfers & codeshares with other Alliance arabic airlines ( Saudia ), Irak & Yemen are now a mess but in the future... But for these & Saudians, as they don't speak much English, they will need arabic-speaking FAs, supposing they start service - which I doubt.

Keep in mind the 'locals' in Qatar, UAE and Bahrain represent only between 5 and 15% of the total populations. An exceedingly small proportion of the market, in other words. As for transfers, you may safely rule KSA out of that equation - it's not possible and not desired by the rulers. However, the situation in KSA with regards to the service industry is no different to the rest of the GCC countries - it's work performed by expats, and the common language is English.
Signature. You just read one.

upwardfacing

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 am

The dispute with the GCC was not the only reason behind Delta's withdrawal from the region. The Arab Spring played a huge role as well. If Delta wants to return to the region, they would far be better off partnering with a Gulf carrier to offer connections around the region.

Unfortunately the dispute from the American side treated the three Gulf carriers as a common enemy, when the carriers are quite different in size and scope. For example Etihad is literally shriveling, particularly its American network. A weak Gulf carrier like this could actually be a useful ally for Delta, which could then offer seamless connectivity to a number of cities and countries from its domestic USA network. (Skyteam member Saudia does not appear to be an appropriate option for transfers from what I have read.)

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 am

aeropix wrote:
FSDan wrote:
"We need to have a presence in the Middle East. ... Not very many other Middle East markets are going to have the same amount of U.S. POS traffic.

Do the Passengers Of Size (POS) perhaps require the wider seats on the Delta 777's? I think the POS could buy business class seats on existing carriers, if required by their physical dimensions. Why are so many larger folks visiting the Middle east? For the food?

Do you not realize that they're talking about "point of sale?"

Or are you just making a poor attempt at humor?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

evank516

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 pm

IPFreely wrote:
evank516 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

You will see Delta announce what?

If EK announces ATL-DXB, Delta will announce ATL-DXB within 24 hours. Guarantee it.

FSDan

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:06 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
aeropix wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Do you not realize that they're talking about "point of sale?"

Or are you just making a poor attempt at humor?

Ha, at least one person got what I meant! Next time I guess I'll just write out "Point of Sale" so people don't think I'm talking about the large amount of traffic that connects from Port of Spain to Dubai... :wink2:

FSDan

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm

berari wrote:

Nothing has changed.

You think nothing has changed since the last time DL flew to India? Here are a few things off the top of my head:

*DL merged with NW to become a much larger and stronger airline
*Through massive growth at LGA via the slot swap with US, and through continued investment and expansion at JFK, DL became a much larger player in the NYC market
*AI stopped flying JFK-BOM nonstop and now flies JFK-DEL-BOM, leaving JFK-BOM with no nonstop service
*DL developed (and is continuing to deepen) a partnership with 9W, meaning that many potential domestic connections could be available at BOM
*The U.S. economy is no longer in a recession
*U.S.-India traffic has continued to grow
*DL has brand new, fuel-efficient aircraft (A350-900) with a very competitive hard product and a soft product that is vastly improved over 10 years ago

But sure, nothing has changed. :roll:

Dreamflight767

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Yea, can't say I understand this either. So all of a sudden QR is going to be audited to international standards and that's suddenly going to equate to DL's success in that market?

And so what if it is proven QR is receiving subsidy? Not like U.S. carriers haven't.

I just don't understand how U.S. airlines can whine and accuse others when they are just as guilty, if not more so, of similar actions. And why doesn't anyone call them out - especially when they are profiting Billions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos