IPFreely

Re: Delta eyes return to Persian Gulf region after US strikes deal with Qatar

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:37 pm

evank516 wrote:
If EK announces ATL-DXB, Delta will announce ATL-DXB within 24 hours. Guarantee it.

Now that’s funny. Delta already failed miserably once in this route and that was without any competition. They would never restart it against direct competition from an airline they can’t compete with. It would be like flushing money down the toilet.

enilria

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

FSDan wrote:
berari wrote:
DL did operate to India in the past, the market between US and India is there. They were "run out" because they were not competitive.

Nothing has changed.

You think nothing has changed since the last time DL flew to India? Here are a few things off the top of my head:

*DL merged with NW to become a much larger and stronger airline
*Through massive growth at LGA via the slot swap with US, and through continued investment and expansion at JFK, DL became a much larger player in the NYC market
*AI stopped flying JFK-BOM nonstop and now flies JFK-DEL-BOM, leaving JFK-BOM with no nonstop service
*DL developed (and is continuing to deepen) a partnership with 9W, meaning that many potential domestic connections could be available at BOM
*The U.S. economy is no longer in a recession
*U.S.-India traffic has continued to grow
*DL has brand new, fuel-efficient aircraft (A350-900) with a very competitive hard product and a soft product that is vastly improved over 10 years ago

But sure, nothing has changed. :roll:

Delta dropped BOM in 2015. It's barely over 2 years ago.
NW merger was announced in 2008.
Slot swap was 2010.
AI dropped non-stop BOM-JFK in 2010.
Economy wasn't in recession in 2015.

tinpusher007
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:38 pm

enilria wrote:
FSDan wrote:
berari wrote:
DL did operate to India in the past, the market between US and India is there. They were "run out" because they were not competitive.

Nothing has changed.

You think nothing has changed since the last time DL flew to India? Here are a few things off the top of my head:

*Through massive growth at LGA via the slot swap with US, and through continued investment and expansion at JFK, DL became a much larger player in the NYC market
*AI stopped flying JFK-BOM nonstop and now flies JFK-DEL-BOM, leaving JFK-BOM with no nonstop service
*DL developed (and is continuing to deepen) a partnership with 9W, meaning that many potential domestic connections could be available at BOM
*DL has brand new, fuel-efficient aircraft (A350-900) with a very competitive hard product and a soft product that is vastly improved over 10 years ago

Slot swap was 2010.

Plus all these factors should make it MORE likely that we fly to India on our own metal, not less.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

smithbs

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Could you imagine the fleet if the USAF had an airline?

In my experience, it would be on a loud, uncomfortable aircraft in an operation that pinched every penny. Imagine the cabin crew coming out to ask for volunteers to unload the bulk holds. Dang, now I'll have to delete this post to keep FR from getting ideas...

Varsity1 wrote:
Delta is sniffing the DOD traffic to Al Udeid and other regional bases.

Currently much of that is by charter. And DoD traffic won't go through DOH - they'd land straight into IUD.

jbs2886

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 pm

FA9295 wrote:
N292UX wrote:
I'm sure there's a certain someone who thinks DL will start DTW-DOH...

:lol: :rotfl:

No, its they SHOULD start DTW-DOH, but they WILL start ATL-DOH. :duck:

Varsity1

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:16 pm

smithbs wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

In my experience, it would be on a loud, uncomfortable aircraft in an operation that pinched every penny. Imagine the cabin crew coming out to ask for volunteers to unload the bulk holds. Dang, now I'll have to delete this post to keep FR from getting ideas...

Varsity1 wrote:

Currently much of that is by charter. And DoD traffic won't go through DOH - they'd land straight into IUD.

Blatantly Incorrect on both counts.

Pinch every penny? :lol: You couldn't possibly be more wrong.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm

FSDan wrote:
berari wrote:

Nothing has changed.

Not to mention that U.S. and India are practically besties right now for political reasons I cannot go into. But yeah, JFK-BOM on DL I could see on DL.
Hi, I'm TryToFlySomeday. A guy who likes to analyze airlines, and loves road trips & airplane trips. Founder of the Roadgeeking Section and Pakistan Aviation Threads.

American-born Pakistani based in ORD. Favorite cities: ORD / GRR / DTW

upwardfacing

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 pm

I am not quite sure why so many are concluding that JFK-BOM is imminent or upcoming. The thread title and news link refer to the Middle East.

Whether JFK-BOM appears has to do with number crunching on Delta's that would indicate a decent return. It has little to do with market size or government relations. Delta even stopped flying JFK-TYO a few years ago! That's a route very likely with several times the corporate HVC traffic that JFK-BOM might have.

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:14 pm

upwardfacing wrote:
I am not quite sure why so many are concluding that JFK-BOM is imminent or upcoming. The thread title and news link refer to the Middle East.

Whether JFK-BOM appears has to do with number crunching on Delta's that would indicate a decent return. It has little to do with market size or government relations. Delta even stopped flying JFK-TYO a few years ago! That's a route very likely with several times the corporate HVC traffic that JFK-BOM might have.

Okay....

Maybe I could see the return of ATL-DXB or a DTW-DXB... JFK-DXB would be crowded by EK.

Though then again, ATL has QR and TK and DTW is sandwiched between ORD (which has EK) and YYZ (which has EK and AC).
Hi, I'm TryToFlySomeday. A guy who likes to analyze airlines, and loves road trips & airplane trips. Founder of the Roadgeeking Section and Pakistan Aviation Threads.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 pm

enilria wrote:
FSDan wrote:
berari wrote:

Nothing has changed.

Slot swap was 2010.

DL ended flights to BOM in March of 2015, almost 3 years ago. Not barely over 2 - https://travelcodex.com/the-challenges- ... -figures2/

SESGDL

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 pm

IPFreely wrote:
evank516 wrote:
If EK announces ATL-DXB, Delta will announce ATL-DXB within 24 hours. Guarantee it.

Now that’s funny. Delta already failed miserably once in this route and that was without any competition. They would never restart it against direct competition from an airline they can’t compete with. It would be like flushing money down the toilet.

So over-dramatic. They "FAILED MISERABLY"... Is ever route that's discontinued a miserable failure, or only DL? DL flew ATL-DXB for years, not sure how that counts a miserable failure.

Jeremy

twicearound

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 pm

FSDan wrote:
berari wrote:

Nothing has changed.

DL recently stopped flying to India (2015) well after the merger

smithbs

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:08 am

Varsity1 wrote:
smithbs wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Varsity1 wrote:

Blatantly Incorrect on both counts.

Pinch every penny? :lol: You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Well, that was my observation when I flew on such flights during my time in the AF. Spend much time in the AF, or take the rotator NGU-IUD?

If you are an outsider to the USAF, then it would appear that they don't pinch pennies because of how expensive the aircraft are. When you actually work in the squadron and deal with budgets year in year out, you find out that the operation is financially thin and tightly managed. That means a lot of fluff goes away. Any flight I did in the USAF involved a lot of my own work.

And DoD traffic would avoid flying commercial into DOH and bussing into IUD - nobody involved wants a bunch of US uniforms in the terminals. Not the US gov, not the Qataris, nobody.

FSDan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:24 am

enilria wrote:
FSDan wrote:
berari wrote:

Nothing has changed.

Slot swap was 2010.

I should have been more specific - DL dropped BOM relatively recently, but they stopped flying to India NONSTOP from the U.S. much longer ago. I'm talking about the JFK-BOM and ATL-BOM routes they flew on 77Es. Since I'm talking about a return of DL to the NONSTOP U.S.-India market, I'm comparing the last time they flew to India nonstop to now. Needless to say, DL's performance on a U.S.-BOM nonstop is likely to be quite different from their performance on AMS-BOM...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Cactusjuba

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 am

worldranger wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
panamair wrote:

Re DL & US3 - funny how their subsidized SkyTeam partners Saudia, Aeroflot and their ownership stakes in subsidized Chinese carriers gets swept aside when they take the moral high ground.

Its not about being state owned, or receiving state subsidies. Its about receiving state subsidies WHILE being apart of the Open Skies trade agreements with the US. That is the complaint, about violation of Open Skies.

IPFreely

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 am

Cactusjuba wrote:
Its not about being state owned, or receiving state subsidies. Its about receiving state subsidies WHILE being apart of the Open Skies trade agreements with the US. That is the complaint, about violation of Open Skies.

Delta's position of being against Open Skies with some countries because of subsidies and in favor of Open Skies with other countries (e.g. China) despite subsidies -- is both hypocritical and indefensible.

Cactusjuba

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 am

IPFreely wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

Delta's position of being against Open Skies with some countries because of subsidies and in favor of Open Skies with other countries (e.g. China) despite subsidies -- is both hypocritical and indefensible.

China is NOT part of the Open Skies treaties with the United States of America. Hence, there is nothing hypocritical at pointing out ME3 government assistance and ignoring Chinese carriers. ME3 are violating open skies, China is not.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_route ... _and_China

Airlines can fly tricked out, empty A380s all over the US from their home countries and other 5th freedom routes. Its a tactic to crush your competitor and steal market share. Thats all fine and good, but if you never end up filling those seats, you go out of business. That wont happen with the ME3 when they literally have an endless supply of prohibited oil money financing their long-term global takeover strategy. The US3 are justified in asking their government to uphold their trade agreements with the UAE and Qatar.

worldranger

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:59 am

Cactusjuba wrote:
worldranger wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

—-

Off the top of my head - the following countries have open skies agreements with the US and, repeat AND have govt majority owned/ subsidized airlines code sharing in global alliances with the the US3.

But that’s not an issue of course because the are in bed with the majors, not a threat.

So your point on principle is completely invalidated.

Finnair
Garuda
Saudia
Air India
Ethiopian
LOT
SIA
Thai
Malaysian

deltal1011man

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:36 am

IPFreely wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:

really? :banghead: :banghead:
I'd love to see the proof on that one.

This thread is a hot mess.

Ed is basically saying "we are going back to India and possibly Dubai" Nothing more, nothing less.
Now back to the purse swinging, lack of English comprehension, and trolling in this thread. ;) :rotfl: :rotfl:

evank516

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:09 pm

IPFreely wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Oh it is, is it? Delta is very defensive of ATL, and with their beef with the ME3 I could see DL doing it whether it was an epic fail or not. If they can price dump in domestic markets with extra capacity and ridiculously low fares to chase out a competitor, they will do it against EK. If they chase EK out, they drop the route. If EK doesn't budge, well then DL's flying ATL-DXB to defend ATL. It's not a new practice with DL. AA is known for it too. They'll do it, you'll watch, and I'll tell you I told you so.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 pm

evank516 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Oh it is, is it? Delta is very defensive of ATL, and with their beef with the ME3 I could see DL doing it whether it was an epic fail or not. If they can price dump in domestic markets with extra capacity and ridiculously low fares to chase out a competitor, they will do it against EK. If they chase EK out, they drop the route. If EK doesn't budge, well then DL's flying ATL-DXB to defend ATL. It's not a new practice with DL. AA is known for it too. They'll do it, you'll watch, and I'll tell you I told you so.

But what's the point of DL flying ATL-DXB to defend ATL? There's little to no ATL-DXB market. People in ATL wouldn't be flying EK to go to DXB. They're flying there to change planes to Africa, Middle East, India and SE Asia. DL would have 0 feed on the DXB end.

xwb777

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm

What if Delta launches DXB and partners with an Indian airline(s) for pax feed at DXB?

TryToFlySomeday

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:44 pm

xwb777 wrote:
What if Delta launches DXB and partners with an Indian airline(s) for pax feed at DXB?

So basically 9W?

evank516

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:07 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
evank516 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

But what's the point of DL flying ATL-DXB to defend ATL? There's little to no ATL-DXB market. People in ATL wouldn't be flying EK to go to DXB. They're flying there to change planes to Africa, Middle East, India and SE Asia. DL would have 0 feed on the DXB end.

Because they're DL. They do that type of thing. It doesn't really go beyond that. They've done it numerous amounts of times and they won't let EK hold ATL-DXB on their own.

rutankrd

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Can’t Delta simply continue to put their code of Virgin Atlantics services to Dubai and Delhi sorted !

clrd4t8koff

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm

evank516 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Because they're DL. They do that type of thing. It doesn't really go beyond that. They've done it numerous amounts of times and they won't let EK hold ATL-DXB on their own.

It just cracks me up that DL couldn't even make ATL-DXB work the first time and they were the only carrier flying ATL-ME. Now it sounds like they're up for getting into a pissing match and start back up the route they couldn't make money on before just to bully EK? They will lose even more money than the first attempt.

evank516

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44 pm

It is funny, and they would lose money, but they'll do it anyway. And then they'll blame EK for the losses.

klm617

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 am

jbs2886 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
N292UX wrote:
I'm sure there's a certain someone who thinks DL will start DTW-DOH...

:lol: :rotfl:

No, its they SHOULD start DTW-DOH, but they WILL start ATL-DOH. :duck:

Let's be honest from what I have learned her on a.net as that when there is a large or larger ethnic group in a particular city then it warrants airline service on that route. So that being said with the tri county area having the largest middle eastern population Detroit to the Middle East should be Delta's first choice as far as linking their network with the Persian Gulf and if they don't they deserve to loss their behinds. Now for those who don't agree you would then have to say that DTW-India makes more sense than either ATL or JFK no completion in the market JFK-India is over crowded and ATL was QR that would eat at the Delta loads.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
evank516 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

It just cracks me up that DL couldn't even make ATL-DXB work the first time and they were the only carrier flying ATL-ME. Now it sounds like they're up for getting into a pissing match and start back up the route they couldn't make money on before just to bully EK? They will lose even more money than the first attempt.

Exactly that's why they should be doing Detroit to the Middle East.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 am

evank516 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
evank516 wrote:

If that were true why didn't they add ATL-DOH and go up against QR

hayzel777

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 am

worldranger wrote:
Cactusjuba wrote:
worldranger wrote:

—-

Off the top of my head - the following countries have open skies agreements with the US and, repeat AND have govt majority owned/ subsidized airlines code sharing in global alliances with the the US3.

But that’s not an issue of course because the are in bed with the majors, not a threat.

So your point on principle is completely invalidated.

Finnair
Garuda
Saudia
Air India
Ethiopian
LOT
SIA
Thai
Malaysian

Taiwan(however you want to categorize it as) has an open skies with the US and CI is more than 50% govt owned with years and years of net loss yet it is still alive. They codeshare with DL/HA.

RichardWelling

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:26 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
Yea, can't say I understand this either. So all of a sudden QR is going to be audited to international standards and that's suddenly going to equate to DL's success in that market?

And so what if it is proven QR is receiving subsidy? Not like U.S. carriers haven't.

I just don't understand how U.S. airlines can whine and accuse others when they are just as guilty, if not more so, of similar actions. And why doesn't anyone call them out - especially when they are profiting Billions.

Once QR opens their books, its not like they are going to slow down anytimr soon. I too do not understand the point Delta is trying to make.

airway1

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm

I’ve heard rumors that United might be coming back to Kuwait. They started great out of Kuwait with 120,000 pax first year then they did the stupid thing of flying out of Dubai. It was cheaper to catch a flydubai flight to Dubai and then catch the United dubai flight. I remember the flydubai flight would have a lot of military personal to Dubai.

Plus the cargo was a huge business to Kuwait. Just a not government employees do not fly United. Thy contract went to Jetblue so all government employees fly emirates from DC

evank516

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm

klm617 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Qatar isn't as stable right now? Recent claims of terrorist activity? DL never attempted DOH before anyway?

DL flew ATL-DXB before, I've seen DL reinstate routes they once axed when a competitor starts running it.

klm617

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 pm

evank516 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Qatar isn't as stable right now? Recent claims of terrorist activity? DL never attempted DOH before anyway?

DL flew ATL-DXB before, I've seen DL reinstate routes they once axed when a competitor starts running it.

It was very stable and a growing market when QR started ATL-DOH. Would have been a sure way to drive them out if DL had flown the route alongside them with all the loyal customers they have in ATL. Delta only jumps in the fray when they are sure there will be a good return on their investment in the short term.