WN732

Re: Southwest Airlines Network Thread 2018

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 am

FATFlyer wrote:
WN732 wrote:
FAT only has G4 as an ULCC, and their fares are usually not ground breaking anyways. I honestly believe that G4 would have a difficult time at FAT if WN started LAS.

Don't forget that Frontier starts at FAT May 22.

The late evening 3X/week FAT-DEN schedule for F9 seems strange to me. Very few connections at DEN without an overnight.

But shift the same flight times to a F9 FAT-LAS route and I could see it as competition to G4.

I totally agree. A daytime departure from FAT would be a great addition. I really hope that they haven't set themselves up for failure. Especially as this is their third time at FAT.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:52 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I'd be proactive in regards to XNA, outside of some token Allegiant service with a MSA of 550k day and forcasted to go to 750k in 10 to 15 years. I'd start it up. Truth be told, WN coming into the market would have a positive impact on continued growth, possibly increase the rate fractionally. Given the super high fares at XNA, the fares could offer cheaper options yet yields be good.

This is easy given the ties the area has to the Metroplex via alumni and current students at the UofA,

XNA-DAL
XNA-STL or MDW
XNA-BNA or MSY
XNA-DEN
XNA-BWI
Seasonal Sat Only MCO

the area is growing but the demographics arent necessarily people who go places on planes. XNA is landlocked between multiple existing Southwest cities in 3 directions. Dream on for SW coming to this airport. Frontier maybe someday, but not SW. Dream on bud. Be thankful for crappy Allegiant LCC cuz that's all they're going to get till one of Frontier's dart throwing games lands there.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 am

Midwestindy wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
WN expansion into smaller cities depends on the evolution of their route network.

Because they're previous mold of HIGH-frequency short-haul flights is challenged by a decrease in short-haul local passengers, smaller cities can only come about through a more consolidated hub-and-spoke network, or on the other hand, a full-blown return to the LCC model, with added fees, lower frequencies, and denser seating/"unbundled fares". I don't think WN can really move back down-market (unless the recent incident forces them to, for the sake of keeping passenger volumes) given how much they've evolved upward on complexity, costs, and scale, branding, etc.,

Thus, especially given they're TransFAREncy marketing campaign, I believe they'll continue upmarket in their evolution and growth, entering LAX-NYC, growing Bay Area-NYC, and adding more near international destinations.
Smaller cities which cant take several daily frequencies on a 737 are probably too costly for them, so there are really only about ten or fewer cities that I could realistically see WN adding domestically.
ANC
FAT
MSN (maaaaaayyyyybeeee)
JFK
XNA (in 10 years at the expense of some TUL service)
HNL
OGG
KOA
LIH
JAC or BZN

Now all this depends on the growth of NK/F9/G4.

If the ULCCs saturate and soak up smaller markets, as they probably will even with route churn, given large orderbooks at NK and F9 for example, WN will have a harder time at markets (except for those in HI, AK, and JFK) above.

WN has lost mcuh of its niche in short-haul flying (6x daily PHL-RDU, 4x IND-MDW, etc.) so to enter cities like FAT it will have to gain a good share of longer haul traffic.
That means connecting traffic for markets like these, and for MSN for example, the market can probably only handle about 7 WN flights maximum.
Example:
MSN-STL 2x
MSN-BWI 1x
MSN-MCO 1x
MSN-DEN 1x
MSN-LAS 1x

Only some of this would be new traffic for WN, and would pull on loads for well-served stations like MDW, MSP, MKE, etc.
Assuming for the moment that 300 people from the MSN area (probably conservative) are already flying WN from MDW, MKE, or other stations, WN is really running 6 daily flights (about two airframes of capacity for them) to gain 300 PDEW of new passengers.

Is it worth it?

Depends on the yields. Again if ULCCs soak up these markets, its a harder case for WN to enter; if ULCCs remain smaller, and economic growth picks up over the next few years in the U.S., WN will probably take a closer look at markets like MSN or FAT. Having to compete with ULCC yields to fill 737s might not justify the cost of opening an XNA or MSN station for them.
So again, as WN holds the data and makes the decisions, whether they will enter smaller cities is only known to them.
"et ad Deo"

I'd be proactive in regards to XNA, outside of some token Allegiant service with a MSA of 550k day and forcasted to go to 750k in 10 to 15 years. I'd start it up. Truth be told, WN coming into the market would have a positive impact on continued growth, possibly increase the rate fractionally. Given the super high fares at XNA, the fares could offer cheaper options yet yields be good.

This is easy given the ties the area has to the Metroplex via alumni and current students at the UofA,

XNA-DAL
XNA-STL or MDW
XNA-BNA or MSY
XNA-DEN
XNA-BWI
Seasonal Sat Only MCO

Why stop there, WN could fly their 737s on XNA-CDG/NRT

ROFL
some people on here are just DYING for some XNA love. It's not coming from SW. Maybe after they add three or four more runways at XNA and a hyperloop.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Buried in the Alaska Q1 Earnings thread. WN gets 10 former VX slot pairs at DCA and LGA starting this fall.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/sou ... love-field

Anyone have speculation as to which routes they might use the slots on?

Bringing back DCA-IND and adding CMH-LGA?
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-DEN UA CR7
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

flyfresno

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:01 pm

WN732 wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
WN732 wrote:
FAT only has G4 as an ULCC, and their fares are usually not ground breaking anyways. I honestly believe that G4 would have a difficult time at FAT if WN started LAS.

Don't forget that Frontier starts at FAT May 22.

The late evening 3X/week FAT-DEN schedule for F9 seems strange to me. Very few connections at DEN without an overnight.

But shift the same flight times to a F9 FAT-LAS route and I could see it as competition to G4.

I totally agree. A daytime departure from FAT would be a great addition. I really hope that they haven't set themselves up for failure. Especially as this is their third time at FAT.

Also agree. LAS at SuMoWeThFr would be awesome, especially if it was a one-stop to another city with high O&D such as ORD, IAH, MCO, or IAD.

jplatts

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Will WN ever add DAL-TUS nonstop service? There are over 296,000 passengers who travel between DFW and TUS every year according to the BTS statistics, but this figure includes passengers connecting through DFW to other destinations from TUS on AA. It appears to me that many of the passengers traveling on the AA DFW-TUS nonstops are connecting to other destinations through DFW since there was an average of 248 passengers per day who are traveling solely between DFW and TUS in Q4 2017 according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report. In addition, the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report is showing only 12 passengers a day who traveled between DAL and TUS in Q4 2017, even though TUS is not currently served nonstop from DAL.

What are the load factors like on the AA DFW-TUS nonstop flights? Can WN stimulate additional demand for DAL-TUS if it adds DAL-TUS nonstop service?

jetero

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will WN ever add DAL-TUS nonstop service? There are over 296,000 passengers who travel between DFW and TUS every year according to the BTS statistics, but this figure includes passengers connecting through DFW to other destinations from TUS on AA. It appears to me that many of the passengers traveling on the AA DFW-TUS nonstops are connecting to other destinations through DFW since there was an average of 248 passengers per day who are traveling solely between DFW and TUS in Q4 2017 according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report. In addition, the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report is showing only 12 passengers a day who traveled between DAL and TUS in Q4 2017, even though TUS is not currently served nonstop from DAL.

What are the load factors like on the AA DFW-TUS nonstop flights? Can WN stimulate additional demand for DAL-TUS if it adds DAL-TUS nonstop service?

Wasn't expecting this. :sarcastic:

jplatts wrote:
It appears to me that many of the passengers traveling on the AA DFW-TUS nonstops are connecting to other destinations through DFW

You think? Any route through a hub like DFW where likely 60% of the total traffic is connecting will be majority connecting. That's how hubs work.

jplatts wrote:
What are the load factors like on the AA DFW-TUS nonstop flights?

BTS publishes seats and load factors.

jplatts wrote:
Can WN stimulate additional demand for DAL-TUS if it adds DAL-TUS nonstop service?

What exactly do you think would happen when there is new competition and fares decrease? Traffic would decrease?

jplatts

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:45 pm

jetero wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Can WN stimulate additional demand for DAL-TUS if it adds DAL-TUS nonstop service?

What exactly do you think would happen when there is new competition and fares decrease? Traffic would decrease?

Demand would likely increase for DAL-TUS if WN adds DAL-TUS nonstop service, and WN would be able to connect passengers to destinations further east from TUS through DAL if it adds DAL-TUS nonstop service. It is hard for me to tell if the load factors and yields would be good enough for WN to do well on DAL-TUS if it added DAL-TUS nonstop service with very few passengers who currently connect to TUS from DAL on WN.

boscmh

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:48 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
SWADawg wrote:
Buried in the Alaska Q1 Earnings thread. WN gets 10 former VX slot pairs at DCA and LGA starting this fall.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/sou ... love-field

Anyone have speculation as to which routes they might use the slots on?

Bringing back DCA-IND and adding CMH-LGA?

Really hoping to see CMH-LGA, the Columbus market needs competition to lower prices to NYC. It's also by far the largest hole for WN in their network for CMH business travelers

jetero

Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
jetero wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Demand would likely increase for DAL-TUS if WN adds DAL-TUS nonstop service, and WN would be able to connect passengers to destinations further east from TUS through DAL if it adds DAL-TUS nonstop service. It is hard for me to tell if the load factors and yields would be good enough for WN to do well on DAL-TUS if it added DAL-TUS nonstop service with very few passengers who currently connect to TUS from DAL on WN.

Start with:

TUS-Dallas all airports market size is currently X PPDEW

What market share do you think WN would capture? At what price? How many seats would be filled with connecting passengers.

You're not going to get those assumptions out of BTS data . . . you have to back into them yourself and ask yourself if they're reasonable. Then you have to ask yourself if it really is low-hanging fruit for WN at DAL given its constraints.

But, regardless, I'm not sure what the point is.

Jshank83

Wed May 02, 2018 5:25 pm

I noticed WN has started running some routes +/- a flight on Fridays. I hadn't seen it before up until a few weeks ago that they were running a different frequencies on different weekdays Mon-Fri (except for some holidays).

Summer examples
MCI-PNS daily except Friday
STL-MSY 3x Friday 2x mon-thurs
STL-MCO 5x mon-thus 4x Fri

FlyPNS1

Wed May 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I noticed WN has started running some routes +/- a flight on Fridays. I hadn't seen it before up until a few weeks ago that they were running a different frequencies on different weekdays Mon-Fri (except for some holidays).

Summer examples

Interesting catch. This is actually an increase over what WN originally published when they loaded the summer schedule a few months ago. Originally, MCI-PNS was only going to be on Sat-Sun this summer (it was daily last summer). Even now, MCI-PNS on Mon-Thurs appears to be only available in June. It appears that WN is getting more nimble with more tactical additions to the schedule.

Speaking of nimble, it's amazing to see how WN's schedule will vary by day of the week at PNS.

Here's the June departure schedule for PNS:
Mon-Thurs: 2xBNA, 1xHOU, 1xMCI (Total 4 flights)
Fri: 2xBNA, 1xHOU (Total 3 flights)
Sat: 3xDAL, 2xBNA, 2xMDW, 1xDEN, 1xAUS, 1xMCI, 1xSTL, 1xHOU (Total 12 flights)
Sun: 2xBNA, 1xDEN, 1xHOU, 1xDAL, 1xMCI, 1xMDW (Total 7 flights)

Funny to see a station go from 3 flights one day to 12 flights the next. WN even has all 12 flights spaced out so that they really only need one gate on Saturdays. Only thing missing really is a BWI flight. WN seems less willing to compete with AA/DL on traffic from the Northeast/Midatlantic.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2018 5:52 pm

More legacy like variability. I wonder if they will cut back more on Saturdays now. They shift from buisness routes to a greater leisure focus on the weekend already, but they don't cut back in total as much as DL seems to do.

If they can vary frequencies by day of week now, does this mean 3x weekly routes (Day 135 or 247 for example) or redeyes can now be scheduled?

Jshank83

Wed May 02, 2018 5:53 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Summer examples

Interesting catch. This is actually an increase over what WN originally published when they loaded the summer schedule a few months ago. Originally, MCI-PNS was only going to be on Sat-Sun this summer (it was daily last summer). Even now, MCI-PNS on Mon-Thurs appears to be only available in June. It appears that WN is getting more nimble with more tactical additions to the schedule.

Speaking of nimble, it's amazing to see how WN's schedule will vary by day of the week at PNS.

Here's the June departure schedule for PNS:
Mon-Thurs: 2xBNA, 1xHOU, 1xMCI (Total 4 flights)
Fri: 2xBNA, 1xHOU (Total 3 flights)
Sat: 3xDAL, 2xBNA, 2xMDW, 1xDEN, 1xAUS, 1xMCI, 1xSTL, 1xHOU (Total 12 flights)
Sun: 2xBNA, 1xDEN, 1xHOU, 1xDAL, 1xMCI, 1xMDW (Total 7 flights)

Funny to see a station go from 3 flights one day to 12 flights the next. WN even has all 12 flights spaced out so that they really only need one gate on Saturdays. Only thing missing really is a BWI flight. WN seems less willing to compete with AA/DL on traffic from the Northeast/Midatlantic.

I do find it interesting that of the 4 total flights during the week that MCI is one of them. BNA and HOU make sense. I would have thought others would have been added first (even though I know that route has been around for at least a year or 2 seasonally). I think it was daily last year and they (like you said) originally cut it back to the weekend only this year.

evank516

Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm

I forgot, when will WN announce what they're doing with their new slot pairs in LGA/DCA?

jplatts

Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

evank516 wrote:
I forgot, when will WN announce what they're doing with their new slot pairs in LGA/DCA?

Southwest will be extending its schedule on May 31st, and this schedule extension will extend the WN schedule through January 6, 2019.

Midwestindy

Wed May 02, 2018 6:24 pm

evank516 wrote:

Probably soon, their schedule extension is also on May 31st
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

FlyPNS1

Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I do find it interesting that of the 4 total flights during the week that MCI is one of them. BNA and HOU make sense. I would have thought others would have been added first (even though I know that route has been around for at least a year or 2 seasonally). I think it was daily last year and they (like you said) originally cut it back to the weekend only this year.

Yes, I was surprised when MCI-PNS was added and is now coming back as almost daily again. I would have expected MDW-PNS or STL-PNS to go daily first (though I don't know if gate constraints at MDW play a role there). I do think that if gates were available, PNS-DAL might go daily in the future. Just glad to see that WN has been slowly expanding in PNS as it is one of the smallest markets in the system (particularly if you exclude the pre-deregulation TX markets).

If WN can do more day of week drops and fly some routes only 4-5x weekly, I think routes like STL-PNS, DEN-PNS and MCI-PNS become more viable on a year round basis.

jplatts

Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Can GSP really support nonstop service to more than just ATL on WN? The population of the Greenville-Spartanburg area is over 1.4 million people, and WN usually has daily nonstop service to at least 3 destinations from markets that are the same size or larger than GSP (with CVG, RIC, and ORF being notable exceptions). There are more passengers who fly out of AMA, LBB, MAF, ECP, PNS, and RNO on WN than passengers who fly out of GSP on WN.

Why does WN struggle to maintain enough demand in the GSP market if there is more demand for WN service in markets much smaller than GSP? There also used to be more demand for WN service in the GSP market before WN dropped nonstop service to BWI, MDW, HOU, BNA, and MCO from GSP. Can WN grow GSP again?

Will WN ever pull out of GSP? There is more demand for WN service out of every other airport served by WN than there is out of GSP, with perhaps the exception of CRP.

flybaby

Sat May 12, 2018 4:07 pm

jplatts wrote:
Why does WN struggle to maintain enough demand in the GSP market if there is more demand for WN service in markets much smaller than GSP?

I think proximity to CLT may be a factor here.

timberwolf24

Sat May 12, 2018 4:19 pm

What is the likelihood of WN adding some new international flights from MDW?
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

jplatts

Sat May 12, 2018 5:40 pm

flybaby wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Why does WN struggle to maintain enough demand in the GSP market if there is more demand for WN service in markets much smaller than GSP?

I think proximity to CLT may be a factor here.

Good point, and another factor that weakens demand for WN service at GSP is the fact that DL has its main hub at ATL. DL also has year-round daily nonstop service from ATL to all of the destinations that WN serves nonstop from ATL except for OAK, and DL can also connect passengers from GSP to the same destinations through ATL.

wnflyguy

Sat May 12, 2018 7:17 pm

timberwolf24 wrote:
What is the likelihood of WN adding some new international flights from MDW?

Not until end of 2019 or 2020.
Everything is focused on Hawaii and California right now.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

wnflyguy

Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Well the 2018 Shareholders meeting is in BWI on Wednesday.
Rumors and speculation are popping up and like always I will post them because it's PlaneFun to talk about.
I personally have no inside knowledge just posting the speculations in the Fun of aviation industry guessing. That said here's what I've got so far. Enjoy.

BWI announcement building 5 additional A gates Next year.
In October the Return of Both 3 EWR-BWI and 4 LGA-BWI( thanks to AS slots lease).
2 LGA-FLL
1 DCA-PBI
1 DCA-RSW
Additional DCA-OMA and DCA-MCI.
PAE and LGB additions.
PAE 2 SJC, 2 OAK 1 LAS
LGB 2 LAS, 2 SJC

Hawaii No schedule or fares as of yet.

Additional information regarding 700NG retirements Shareholders/BOD approval of big aircraft order.

Wana Get Away fares get an adjustment. Tweaking it to a basic economy type fare.
Last to board with ONE small personal item only. BUT you Still get 2 free checked bags. Help increase OTP and trim the last minute Gate bag checking issues.

Again all Rumors and speculation no factual information.

I expect Nothing exciting.
Of the Rumors
I like the Additional gates at BWI givin the increase of turn times with the 800/8MAX.
The trend seems like a system wide thing at all the major stations.

Great time to own some LUV right now!

I'm sure the normal WN and Anti Flyguy people will tear this apart.
But it's all in good clean fun.

Enjoy Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Chemist

Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Wana Get Away fares get an adjustment. Tweaking it to a basic economy type fare.
Last to board with ONE small personal item only. BUT you Still get 2 free checked bags. Help increase OTP and trim the last minute Gate bag checking issues.

Enjoy Flyguy

God I hope not.
One of the nicest things about WN is that there is almost none of the nickel and diming going on, or racing to the bottom like the other carriers.

bob75013

Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Chemist wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Enjoy Flyguy

God I hope not.
One of the nicest things about WN is that there is almost none of the nickel and diming going on, or racing to the bottom like the other carriers.

I agree. I suspect this would cause major damage to the brand.. Nothing between this level of economy and anytime would be very bad for WN and make it non competitive with the legacies.

FA9295

Mon May 14, 2018 4:51 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Rumors and speculation are popping up and like always I will post them because it's PlaneFun to talk about.
I personally have no inside knowledge just posting the speculations in the Fun of aviation industry guessing. That said here's what I've got so far. Enjoy.

In October the Return of Both 3 EWR-BWI and 4 LGA-BWI( thanks to AS slots lease).
2 LGA-FLL
1 DCA-PBI
1 DCA-RSW
PAE and LGB additions.
PAE 2 SJC, 2 OAK 1 LAS
LGB 2 LAS, 2 SJC

Additional information regarding 700NG retirements Shareholders/BOD approval of big aircraft order.

Of the Rumors
I like the Additional gates at BWI givin the increase of turn times with the 800/8MAX.

Enjoy Flyguy

I expect Southwest's PAE adds to be from at least some of these airports:
PHX, SMF, OAK, SJC, SAN, LAS, DEN
Next flights:
PDX-LAX-MIA (American)
MCO-DFW-PDX (American)

PDX-MSP-PDX (Delta)

WN732

Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

2 LGA-FLL
1 DCA-PBI
1 DCA-RSW
PAE and LGB additions.
PAE 2 SJC, 2 OAK 1 LAS
LGB 2 LAS, 2 SJC

Of the Rumors

Enjoy Flyguy

But what about the EarlyBird check in? Would that put you in the B group or beyond? On all of the flights I have taken on WN, only a handful had A1-15 fully booked. That probably has to do with the routes that I fly. But still, I hope WN does not go this route.

evank516

Mon May 14, 2018 4:59 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

2 LGA-FLL
1 DCA-PBI
1 DCA-RSW
PAE and LGB additions.
PAE 2 SJC, 2 OAK 1 LAS
LGB 2 LAS, 2 SJC

Of the Rumors

Enjoy Flyguy

I really don't think you're going to see WN jump too much on the LGA-Florida bandwagon right now, and LGA/EWR-BWI seem a bit pointless (though they do run ISP-BWI). I can't imagine them not adding a second LGA-MCI over 4x LGA-BWI. I just can't, but then again WN makes no sense to me.

jplatts

Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 pm

evank516 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

2 LGA-FLL
1 DCA-PBI
1 DCA-RSW
PAE and LGB additions.
PAE 2 SJC, 2 OAK 1 LAS
LGB 2 LAS, 2 SJC

Of the Rumors

Enjoy Flyguy

I really don't think you're going to see WN jump too much on the LGA-Florida bandwagon right now, and LGA/EWR-BWI seem a bit pointless (though they do run ISP-BWI). I can't imagine them not adding a second LGA-MCI over 4x LGA-BWI. I just can't, but then again WN makes no sense to me.

WN had also previously stated that it wanted to add CMH-LGA nonstop service if it had extra slots at LGA.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2018 5:27 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Thank you so much for sharing.

Interesting....although of course WN is often much more expensive than other options...the gap between Anytime and Wanna-Get-Away is pretty wide to, so I'd expect something to bridge that fare gap, some type of in between fare level.
Although with WN, there's less reason to buy up to a higher fare with no change or bag fees.
Not much long term impact from the LGA-DAL incident?

wnflyguy wrote:
With the California strong campaign WN doing I know FAT on the short list. But the All the other available slots around the USA and Hawaii launch probably pushed FAT chance for 2018/19.

Flyguy

FAT would seem like something they should look at eventually, but WN can definitely hold their own without it. It doesn't seem like AS has made much headway in California.

jplatts wrote:
WN had also previously stated that it wanted to add CMH-LGA nonstop service if it had extra slots at LGA.

Maybe bring back IND-DCA as well?

jplatts

Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm

There is no nonstop service to IAD, DCA, or BWI from ELP, RNO, and TUS, and Washington, D.C. is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from all three of these markets. WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to BWI from ELP, RNO, and TUS.

There is also probably enough demand for WN to add RNO-BWI nonstop service with RNO being the closest commercial airport to Carson City, the capital city of Nevada. There was an average of over 269 travelers who traveled between RNO and Washington, DC in Q3 2017 (in both directions) according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report. In addition, WN had significantly more market share at RNO than any other carrier with 43.95% market share at RNO. There is also government travel between RNO and Washington, D.C. with RNO being the closest commercial airport to the capital city of Nevada.

Even though WN already serves OAK and SJC nonstop from BWI, WN could also add BWI-SFO, IAD-OAK, IAD-SJC, and IAD-SFO nonstop service in order to better compete against AS on DC to San Francisco Bay Area service. Will WN ever add BWI-SFO, IAD-OAK, IAD-SJC, and/or IAD-SFO nonstop service in the near future?

WN732

Mon May 14, 2018 5:41 pm

jplatts wrote:
There is no nonstop service to IAD, DCA, or BWI from ELP, RNO, and TUS, and Washington, D.C. is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from all three of these markets. WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to BWI from ELP, RNO, and TUS.

There is also probably enough demand for WN to add RNO-BWI nonstop service with RNO being the closest commercial airport to Carson City, the capital city of Nevada. There was an average of over 269 travelers who traveled between RNO and Washington, DC in Q3 2017 (in both directions) according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report. In addition, WN had significantly more market share at RNO than any other carrier with 43.95% market share at RNO. There is also government travel between RNO and Washington, D.C. with RNO being the closest commercial airport to the capital city of Nevada.

Even though WN already serves OAK and SJC nonstop from BWI, WN could also add BWI-SFO, IAD-OAK, IAD-SJC, and IAD-SFO nonstop service in order to better compete against AS on DC to San Francisco Bay Area service. Will WN ever add BWI-SFO, IAD-OAK, IAD-SJC, and/or IAD-SFO nonstop service in the near future?

I can't see any of those from ELP for at least a while. ELP just barely got DEN and that's only on Sunday.

dc10lover

Mon May 14, 2018 6:58 pm

I wish Southwest Airlines was more generous - adding more cities to their network.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of.

ctrabs0114

Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Chemist wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Enjoy Flyguy

God I hope not.

Took the words right out of my mouth...
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

Atlwarrior

Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 pm

When will they add Myrtle Beach and Augusta from ATL?

WNflyer1523

Mon May 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:

I don't know about Augusta, but I could definitely see Southwest entering Myrtle Beach.

jplatts

Tue May 15, 2018 2:43 am

a
WNflyer1523 wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

I don't know about Augusta, but I could definitely see Southwest entering Myrtle Beach.

If Southwest adds service to MYR, WN would add nonstop service to BWI from MYR since WN has daily nonstop service from BWI to all of the East Coast leisure destinations currently served by WN except for PNS. WN also has nonstop service to BWI from destinations in the Northeast that aren't served by NK, and WN would also be able to connect passengers to MYR from most of its Northeastern destinations through BWI if it added BWI-MYR nonstop service.

WN also does have opportunities to add nonstop service to MYR from markets that aren't currently served by NK, including AUS, IND, MKE, BNA, STL, and SAT.

ODwyerPW

Tue May 15, 2018 8:46 am

delete this... posted in the wrong thread... I fat fingered it...
learning never stops.

jplatts

Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 am

WN only has daily nonstop service to ATL from RIC, and WN has never expanded RIC beyond the ATL-RIC and MCO-RIC nonstop routes acquired through the WN-FL merger. RIC currently only has 3 daily nonstops to ATL on WN, but RIC is located in a big enough market to support at least 8 daily nonstops on WN.

There is enough demand for WN to add RIC-LAS nonstop service since RIC currently has no nonstop service to LAS on any airline. There are also a lot of passengers who travel to the San Francisco Bay Area and Greater Los Angeles from RIC, despite RIC not having any nonstop service to SFO, OAK, or LAX. There was an average of 192 passengers a day who traveled between RIC and LAS in Q3 2017 according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report. WN has also recently stated that it wants to further expand at LAS, and WN would also be able to connect passengers traveling to California from RIC through LAS if it added RIC-LAS nonstop service.

WN could also add RIC-MDW nonstop service, and RIC is located in the 2nd largest U.S. metropolitan area (after MKE) that has never had any nonstop service to MDW on WN. MDW is a better connecting point than ATL is for many of WN's destinations in the Western U.S. from RIC. WN also has daily nonstop service from MDW to destinations located in metro areas smaller than the Richmond metro area.

Even though G4 does serve PIE nonstop from RIC on a less-than-daily basis, the lack of nonstop service to TPA from RIC on any airline is another huge hole in the RIC market. There is currently no nonstop service to TPA from RIC on any airline, and there was an average of 148 passengers a day who traveled between TPA and RIC according to the DOT Domestic Consumer Airfare Report. While WN can currently connect passengers to TPA from RIC through ATL, there might be enough demand for WN to add daily nonstop service to TPA from RIC.

In addition to MDW, DEN, LAS, and TPA, WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to DEN from RIC.

Will WN add RIC-MDW, RIC-DEN, RIC-LAS, and/or RIC-TPA nonstop service in the near future?

Mainland

Tue May 15, 2018 12:46 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Of the Rumors

I'll be at the shareholder meeting. I'm not expecting anything too groundbreaking. An expansion to terminal A is on the books for a 2020-2025 project for BWI - so that might be a possibility.
You don't need a passport to know what state you're in...

wnflyguy

Tue May 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Mainland wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Of the Rumors

I'll be at the shareholder meeting. I'm not expecting anything too groundbreaking. An expansion to terminal A is on the books for a 2020-2025 project for BWI - so that might be a possibility.

Thanks for the BWI information.
Rumor this morning leading to just a BWI gate announcement,a some additional and new Nonstop markets.

Flyguy

tomaheath

Tue May 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Anything for Manchester been flat line for a while now.

jplatts

Tue May 15, 2018 2:31 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Mainland wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Of the Rumors

Thanks for the BWI information.
Rumor this morning leading to just a BWI gate announcement,a some additional and new Nonstop markets.

Flyguy

Is Southwest going to be announcing BWI-RNO or BWI-SFO nonstop service? I could see WN possibly adding BWI-RNO nonstop service since RNO is the closest commercial airport to Carson City (the capital of Nevada), since there is significant demand for travel between Washington, DC and RNO, since there is government travel between RNO and DC, and since RNO currently does not have any nonstop service to IAD, DCA, or BWI. I could also see WN possibly adding BWI-SFO nonstop service in order to better compete against AS, who recently added BWI-SFO nonstop service (originally through the VX brand and transferred over to the AS brand).

Jshank83

Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pm

jplatts wrote:
Is Southwest going to be announcing BWI-RNO or BWI-SFO nonstop service? I could see WN possibly adding BWI-RNO nonstop service since RNO is the closest commercial airport to Carson City (the capital of Nevada), since there is significant demand for travel between Washington, DC and RNO, since there is government travel between RNO and DC, and since RNO currently does not have any nonstop service to IAD, DCA, or BWI. I could also see WN possibly adding BWI-SFO nonstop service in order to better compete against AS, who recently added BWI-SFO nonstop service (originally through the VX brand and transferred over to the AS brand).

You asked almost this exact same question like 10 posts up. Did something change between now and then?

jplatts

Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

You asked almost this exact same question like 10 posts up. Did something change between now and then?

I was asking this question in response to wnflyguy saying that there is a rumor of new nonstop routes out of BWI on WN. WN also has opportunities to add additional nonstop international routes out of BWI.

wnflyguy

Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

2 LGA-FLL
1 DCA-PBI
1 DCA-RSW
PAE and LGB additions.
PAE 2 SJC, 2 OAK 1 LAS
LGB 2 LAS, 2 SJC

Of the Rumors

Enjoy Flyguy

Well making big bucks still but no whammies!
As usual the hype was over rated! Historically I don't think anything ever been announced at Shareholders meeting!
But every WN leader is in Washington DC this week I'm gonna guess maybe something maybe coming up with the FAA and ETOPS.

Happy dreaming,guessing and speculation.

Flyguy

smokeybandit

Thu May 17, 2018 12:41 am

Some discussion of Canada and Europe. Europe being via codeshare.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... d-bwi.html

Midwestindy

Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Some discussion of Canada and Europe. Europe being via codeshare.

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... d-bwi.html

Very interesting stuff

Kelly said BWI, the second largest hub in Southwest's system, "would be a logical consideration for us as a connecting point to Europe." He also said flights to Canada from Baltimore "would absolutely be something we would be interested in considering."

"Though the company is mulling flights to Canada and Europe, he told shareholders its immediate priority is new service to and from Hawaii, which is expected to launch late this year or early next year."

"Flights to Europe would likely be launched through code-sharing agreements with other airline carriers, he said."
"To do that, "we need foreign currency, foreign language, then there are other technologies that will likely need to support connecting with other airlines," Kelly said, "but that is also something I hope to undertake within the next five years."

"Southwest is eyeing a host of expansion opportunities within the next 25 years, with as many as 50 additional North and South American route expansions under consideration, Kelly told shareholders."
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

ctrabs0114

Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Flights to Europe would likely be launched through code-sharing agreements with other airline carriers, he said.

To do that, "we need foreign currency, foreign language, then there are other technologies that will likely need to support connecting with other airlines," Kelly said, "but that is also something I hope to undertake within the next five years."

Wasn't one of the stumbling blocks to past WN code-shares (FL merger notwithstanding) opposition by WN's pilot union to any code share scheme? Or was I misremembering that?
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos