Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Overthecascades
Topic Author

Potential of Paine Field in 5 Years?

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:16 am

With three airlines (UA, AS, and WN) signing up to fly up to 24 flights a day, this is quickly getting to the approved limit of 3,600 passengers a year, way before the opening of the new terminal. If demand continues to climb, will authorities approve additional capacity? If more airlines join the bandwagon, will it reach 5 million passengers in five years?

PatrickZ80

Re: Potential of Paine Field in 5 Years?

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:20 am

I think they'll have to approve additional capacity. 5 million passengers is a lot, I don't know if they'll make that much in 5 years from now but they'll definitely continue to grow.

These alternative airports are a growing trend. In Europe airlines like Ryanair and Wizzair have been using alternative airports for many years, and with success. Alternative airports are cheaper than their large counterparts and allow for quicker turnaround times. Also slots are easier to obtain. That is of course, if they're slot controlled at all which most alternative airports are not. After the success in Europe, several airlines in America are now trying out the same thing.

iamlucky13

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:39 am

Overthecascades wrote:
With three airlines (UA, AS, and WN) signing up to fly up to 24 flights a day, this is quickly getting to the approved limit of 3,600 passengers a year, way before the opening of the new terminal. If demand continues to climb, will authorities approve additional capacity? If more airlines join the bandwagon, will it reach 5 million passengers in five years?

No. It is taking 6 years just from the approval of the environmental assessment, which itself was years in the making, before getting a 2-gate terminal open. I don't expect things to move much faster for any expansion, and I'm not entirely sure they can expand beyond 4 gates without displacing other users around where they're building the terminal. I have some ideas based on studying the layout, but they're speculation on my part.

Rdh3e

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:14 pm

The approved limit is not 3,600 passengers per year. That less than 10 per day... 3,600 per day seems more likely which would be about 1.1M annual.

That said, UA and AS are both scheduling E-175s so the airport won't get anywhere near that number unless that changes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos