Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

User001

Re: MAN news - 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:48 pm

The issue for MT is indeed a fleet one.

They will have 8 A330 this year the same as last year (one of the Air Tanker has now hopped over to Jet2 but will gain a MT Scandinavia aircraft). This hasn’t enabled any growth as SEA has come at the expense of MIA.

Of those A330:

G-MDBD/MLJL/OMYT/VYGK/TCXB/TCXC/OY-VKH will be MAN based
G-CHTZ LGW based
OY-VKF STN/GLA/BFS based.

The list of proposed expansion for MT has shown that SAN/TPA and at one point, MSY as desired destinations. One would hope MIA would return at some point as it was a strong route load wise, just yield needed a little work, but with a constrained fleet, it see,s SEA offers a better return for now.

Interestingly, BWI appeared in GDS as an MT destination a few weeks ago, and apparently ORD and DEN are also contenders. However, with EI going for DEN it could halt a MAN flight as EI goes for the same demographic as MT in the MAN market, and even with a stop, people are still drawn in. I wouldn’t be surprised if EI starting DUB-MIA was also a nail in the coffin for MAN-MIA.

But anyway, with EI/DUB showing it’s strength on the US/Canada market, it would be nice to see MT looking east for traffic too and playing to MAN’s strength compared to DUB. They are the right carrier to make a MAN-BKK work. They now have the Chinese tour company FOSUN as a shareholder so one could think a China route could work, perhaps Sanya like Airtours used to do or PEK. MRU, CPT (both winter) and perhaps KUL could work too (DE has announced KUL so not beyond the realms of possibility.

But I digress....

Jnrhom84

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Both Air Tankers GK/GM will be at MT for S18, both leases have been agreed and signed. VKF will transfer to the UK register and will become GTCXD. Not heard anything about VKG/H/I covering during the summer season as per last summer.

I’ve heard rumours about the LS 2nd A330 to join up with GK, Air Tanker has been mentioned but convert one Voyager A/C. A330 going spare are very short order....

David_itl

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:15 pm

So the temporary gate/lounge has got an award:

"Losberger De Boer, working with principal contractors, Laing O’Rourke, has completed the new semi-permanent gate lounge at Manchester Airport. It notes the opening marks the first milestone of the airport’s £1bn investment programme, known as the Manchester Airport Transformation Programme (MAN-TP). And the gate lounge was named ‘Building of the Month’ by Astron, one of Europe’s leading steel suppliers to the building industry"

http://www.airport-world.com/news/general-news/6521-award-for-manchester-airport-s-new-temporary-gate-lounge.html

And announced the Birmingham Pride event is to be sponsored by them for the next 3 years.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/296199/manchester-airport-to-sponsor-birmingham-pride-for-next-three-years

FlyingColours

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm

I don't want to divert this thread off topic but I'm in agreement with Channex757, having said myself for a few years that Thomas Cook is probably going to re-brand as Condor soon enough. Heck, the onboard shop is called "Die Shoppen" or "FlugenShoppen" or something similar off the top of my head. The baggage tags are dual branded and there was a point where some TCX flights actually went with Condor. Personally I'd love the irony in it being Thomas Cook which finally puts paid to the scheme of naming airlines after tour operators when it was themselves who started it all with that JMC lark...

Incidentally did anyone ever see the Thomas Cook advert which took the piss out of Thomson's rebranding to TUI? At least they've a sense of humor ;) https://youtu.be/wMmhZaO8GfE

To sound like Colombo there is just one more thing, I think that if they did rebrand as Condor it may help them take an even bigger push into the longhaul market as it no longer sounds like a holiday airline which for some people it's all about image. It would of course make life easier for the operational side of things too as it will be easier to rotate aircraft around the group's airlines without having to repaint them or explain the name to passengers (trust me as someone who worked for Excel Airways and spent a year flying an Islandsflug 737 and explaining to at least 2 passengers per flight what an "Ice Land Flurg" was).

To steer things back into the right direction, I was surprised to find out in this thread that Thomas Cook actually have a partnership with Jet Blue, that knowledge may come in handy for future US bound trips :)

With regard to AA and MAN-ORD I knew the 757s & 767s were on their way out but it would have been nice if they could have kept the route alive with the 787 but I guess they've got better routes to use them on. It's just a shame to see a longstanding route finishing for that reason, still, we never know as someone else could jump in and fill the gap.

Phil
FlyingColours

User001

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Ryanair announce 3 more aircraft at Manchester this summer.

New routes to Almeria, Agadir, Cagliari, Palermo, Treviso, Rhodes, Ponta Delgada, Oporto, Belfast and Reus.

Extra flights to the majority of existing routes too.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... anchester/

BrianDromey

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:01 pm

User001 wrote:
Ryanair announce 3 more aircraft at Manchester this summer.

New routes to Almeria, Agadir, Cagliari, Palermo, Treviso, Rhodes, Ponta Delgada, Oporto, Belfast and Reus.

Extra flights to the majority of existing routes too.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... anchester/

That makes 12 at MAN for Ryanair. T3 is already a circus at the best of times! When the new Pier opens I, for one, sorely hope that FR are the first to move in. FR don't require a lot of check-in space, which would be ideal as the Pier won't add any at first. FR are, apparently, keen on the short taxy times to/from T3. T3 just cannot cope with the volume put through it these days. I imagine it would be quite pleasant with AF/KL, BA, AA, BE and BM as the main users.

User001

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:03 pm

AA/BA/KL/AF and possibly BE will be moving to T2 in time, T3 will be pretty much an all Ryanair Terminal.

T3 is going to be rammed this summer. Thankfully Vueling have cut back a little, but AF have applied for more flights too.

MancMAN

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Keeping the faith,,,, well done User. Should shut the doubting thomas’ up.
All in all a good days news, let’s just let the airport get on with the tp now and watch the city centre keep reaching for the sky too. Time for a Guinness I think. :smile:

Raptormodeller

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:19 pm

Good for MAN, however they should really do something about security lines and border control. More flights are great but it means if you don't plan that passing through security at MAN takes anywhere in between 15 to 45 minutes you're probably not going to be on time. Same goes for border control, always run the moment you step off the plane. First time I passed through I didn't know this I spent about ~45 minutes waiting in line. It has gotten slightly better with automatic passport control gate thingies but still, passing through MAN is a GINORMOUS pain in the arse. I sure hope they'll do something. Here's an example, IIRC man T3 has less security gates for all boarding gates than CDG 2F for the L gates ONLY. I mean come on I know man is tiny in comparison but still.

User001

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm

T3 has increased its security lines by 3 gates ready for next summer. Previously only lanes 4/5/6/9/10/11 were in full operation. Lanes 2/7 and 8 are being brought into full use. Lane 2will be fast track only, but just awaiting a new body scanner to be put in.

It’s also put in more info boards, more food outlets and more seating. It’s also implemented the new 1903 lounge last year ready for this summer too.

Raptormodeller

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm

User001 wrote:
T3 has increased its security lines by 3 gates ready for next summer. Previously only lanes 4/5/6/9/10/11 were in full operation. Lanes 2/7 and 8 are being brought into full use. Lane 2will be fast track only, but just awaiting a new body scanner to be put in.

It’s also put in more info boards, more food outlets and more seating. It’s also implemented the new 1903 lounge last year ready for this summer too.

:) good, but I actually doubt it will be enough.

User001

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:03 pm

I don’t think any Terminal in the U.K. will ever be enough for most travellers TBH.

David_itl

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 pm

1st opinion piece of the year by the MAN CEO

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/business-news/opinion-andrew-cowan-ceo-manchester-14198638

Confirmation of what we know:
"Very soon, you will be able to see the shell of our Terminal 2 extension and of a new multi-storey car park coming out of the ground, as well as the completion of a new pier and new aircraft stands."

The interesting part is:
"And yesterday, members of my team have jetted off to China to progress discussions with a number of airlines interested in launching further new routes into Manchester.We have worked hard to influence a new UK-China deal that enables an increase in the number of weekly flights between the two nations, with a condition that the extra capacity is used at non-London airports."

I was getting used to the idea of Hainan only unless they are going to see the HNA group with their umbrella airlines.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:27 pm

It'll be interesting to note who they are in discussions with and where those discussions are.

Obviously this will not be disclosed, but if HU are not as keen (or as able) to launch new routes as they were a year or two ago, I wonder who is interested and in the frame?

Channex757

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Jnrhom84 wrote:
Both Air Tankers GK/GM will be at MT for S18, both leases have been agreed and signed. VKF will transfer to the UK register and will become GTCXD. Not heard anything about VKG/H/I covering during the summer season as per last summer.

I’ve heard rumours about the LS 2nd A330 to join up with GK, Air Tanker has been mentioned but convert one Voyager A/C. A330 going spare are very short order....

ZZ343 looks to be favourite there as it's provisionally got the registration G-VYGN

Cunard

Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
It'll be interesting to note who they are in discussions with and where those discussions are.

Obviously this will not be disclosed, but if HU are not as keen (or as able) to launch new routes as they were a year or two ago, I wonder who is interested and in the frame?

Perhaps we might finally get to know more about the previously much hyped up suggestion of Air China announcing their intention of starting Shanghai to Manchester that was doing the rounds last year!

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Cunard wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

Perhaps we might finally get to know more about the previously much hyped up suggestion of Air China announcing their intention of starting Shanghai to Manchester that was doing the rounds last year!

Agreed, Shanghai and Air China seem to be in purgatory! I don't really know who else may be in the frame!

FlyingColours

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:28 am

I posed the same question in the PHX thread but this summer Condor are operating FRA-PHX, I am curious as to if it is successful enough to go run again the following summer what the likelihood of TCX following suit (surely the costs of handing two aircraft at the destination isn't going to be much more than handling the one - in terms of agents etc...) and if they could really advertise themselves out there as to the possibilities of connecting onto Mediterranean flights, Arizona has got a fair bit to offer but it also has quite a lot of retirment communities out there who I reckon would enjoy a nice cruise around the Med or visit the Greek Islands...

Anyway it's probably unlikely but just a thought, I remember about 12 years ago saying how Cape Verde has the potential and now it seems popular enough so here's hoping ;)

Earlier I was thinking about my upcoming trip to NYC and got thinking back to last year when we went to LAS (via PHL) and had the "joys" of those automated check in machines (as they wouldn't let us use the normal counter as that was for the JFK bound passengers whose flight had been cancelled) and recall me & my missus being split off and asked a load of questions (the usual where are you going and for how long etc but also asking about my job). I told the other half it was because they were getting practice in for the pre-clearance/screening thing that's supposed to be happening and while I understand the logic behind the questions I fail to see the relevance unless it is indeed training for pre-clearance as they are in effect the same types of questions asked at US Immigration. Also wondering what they'd do if you said you were unemployed or something silly such as circus performer ;)

Phil
FlyingColours

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:22 pm

David_itl wrote:

That's good, although I thought Glasgow was already covered (unless it's got something to do with FlyBe's shenanigans with Loganair, including on the MAN-GLA route...

All helps with VS's next steps for growth at MAN...

MANMatthew

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Was just about to post the above about FlyBe and VS - great news to get future VS flights filled up early doors.

What do we think about possible new Caribbean routes launched by VS in the future? Didn’t they operate Antigua 7-8 years ago?

I for one would like to see St Lucia and possibly 1 other.

Fiend

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:04 am

FlyingColours wrote:

Earlier I was thinking about my upcoming trip to NYC and got thinking back to last year when we went to LAS (via PHL) and had the "joys" of those automated check in machines (as they wouldn't let us use the normal counter as that was for the JFK bound passengers whose flight had been cancelled) and recall me & my missus being split off and asked a load of questions (the usual where are you going and for how long etc but also asking about my job). I told the other half it was because they were getting practice in for the pre-clearance/screening thing that's supposed to be happening and while I understand the logic behind the questions I fail to see the relevance unless it is indeed training for pre-clearance as they are in effect the same types of questions asked at US Immigration. Also wondering what they'd do if you said you were unemployed or something silly such as circus performer ;)

Phil
FlyingColours

If I was to be asked that question I won't be able to tell them..... I'm a signatory to the UK Official Secrets Act....

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:09 pm

MANMatthew wrote:
Was just about to post the above about FlyBe and VS - great news to get future VS flights filled up early doors.

What do we think about possible new Caribbean routes launched by VS in the future? Didn’t they operate Antigua 7-8 years ago?

I don't know if they operated Antigua from MAN in the last, but I'd expect it to be on the long list of options, which I think can be classified into four broad groups:

1 - bucket and spade leisure: Antigua is in this bracket, together with Tampa and Cancun.

2 - US cities: Los Angeles is the most obvious target, but you could add Miami to this list, possibly Washington and Seattle too.

3 - DL hubs or focus cities: Minneapolis and Detroit.

4 - the "left field" non-TATL options: including Delhi, Bombay, Cape Town - these might be able to cover seasonality in North America or tie in with existing partners.

I'd expect VS to continue to offer a good mix of leisure and US routes in the next 2/3 years. Thereafter, who knows which way they might want to develop the MAN base and what competition they might face.

OA260

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:26 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
I don't want to divert this thread off topic but I'm in agreement with Channex757, having said myself for a few years that Thomas Cook is probably going to re-brand as Condor soon enough. Heck, the onboard shop is called "Die Shoppen" or "FlugenShoppen" or something similar off the top of my head.

Thats the plan apprently. We are seeing dual branding to get used to the Condor name. I flew TCX just before Christmas and the E Ticket was Condor branded. The Premium Check in was Condor branded larger then the TC logo. The Priority tags Condor and the onboard shop ''Airshoppen'' is no coincidence. Even the overhead moving map had a Condor livery plane.

On another note I notice that some LS flights are moving into T2 MAN.

David_itl

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 am

Hainan has applied for a 3 weekly Guangzhou-MAN service from December per airlineroute. Obviously Shanghai is still denied to them by Air China.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:11 am

David_itl wrote:
Hainan has applied for a 3 weekly Guangzhou-MAN service from December per airlineroute. Obviously Shanghai is still denied to them by Air China.

Good stuff! Glad to see Guangzhou moving slowly, where Shanghai is I have no idea!

Apparently the Oman Air schedules are starting to show the B788 and B789 appearing. Another good step forward for them.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 am

OA260 wrote:

This may be to make space for EasyJet in T1.

If so, LS must have obtained concessions from MAN, or EZY, or most likely both to facilitate.

Boeing74741R

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm

MANMatthew wrote:

It was bmi that operated MAN-ANU back in the days when they had a small long-haul network out of MAN using A330-200's. VS operated MAN-St Lucia for 1 winter period back in 2006 or 2007 (can't remember which) and dropped it after that. However, that was operated with a 747, so if loadings was the issue maybe it could work with a smaller aircraft such as an A330 (at the time, the smallest aircraft VS had were A340-300's which all operated out of LHR).

DobboDobbo wrote:
I don't know if they operated Antigua from MAN in the last, but I'd expect it to be on the long list of options, which I think can be classified into four broad groups:

1 - bucket and spade leisure: Antigua is in this bracket, together with Tampa and Cancun.

2 - US cities: Los Angeles is the most obvious target, but you could add Miami to this list, possibly Washington and Seattle too.

3 - DL hubs or focus cities: Minneapolis and Detroit.

4 - the "left field" non-TATL options: including Delhi, Bombay, Cape Town - these might be able to cover seasonality in North America or tie in with existing partners.

I'd expect VS to continue to offer a good mix of leisure and US routes in the next 2/3 years. Thereafter, who knows which way they might want to develop the MAN base and what competition they might face.

I expect any VS growth at MAN to be to existing VS destinations or DL hubs such as DTW that was rumoured and got as far as appearing on the VS route map, but removed and never went on sale. TPA would be nice, but VS don't serve there at the moment and can't see it being a standalone route from MAN, but we'll see. MIA is an unfilled gap at the moment due to Thomas Cook dropping it in favour of SEA, likewise with IAD after United pulled out.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
I expect any VS growth at MAN to be to existing VS destinations or DL hubs such as DTW that was rumoured and got as far as appearing on the VS route map, but removed and never went on sale. TPA would be nice, but VS don't serve there at the moment and can't see it being a standalone route from MAN, but we'll see. MIA is an unfilled gap at the moment due to Thomas Cook dropping it in favour of SEA, likewise with IAD after United pulled out.

I suspect they would want to "thicken" the likes of SFO and BOS before trying DTW (or abandon if they don't work out). Even then, I would expect them to focus on LAX and MIA before looking at DTW.

I don't see IAD as viable on an A332, if we see this again in the short term I'd expect it to be MT on a low frequency or UA again on an A321 (or similar type).

NickolayAv

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:43 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:

I suspect they would want to "thicken" the likes of SFO and BOS before trying DTW (or abandon if they don't work out). Even then, I would expect them to focus on LAX and MIA before looking at DTW.

I don't see IAD as viable on an A332, if we see this again in the short term I'd expect it to be MT on a low frequency or UA again on an A321 (or similar type).

It is going to be very hard to "thicken" BOS, MT is absolutely dominating VS in the market. MT has been in the BOS-MAN market for longer and there aren't enough people who fly the route for two airlines to have filled planes.

flymco753

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
MANMatthew wrote:
I expect any VS growth at MAN to be to existing VS destinations or DL hubs such as DTW that was rumoured and got as far as appearing on the VS route map, but removed and never went on sale.
Apparently it was supposed to be done on VS, but in the JV they made the decision to pull out of DTW so everyone thought DL could do it 5x weekly on a 76W but it never came to fruition. I do see this happening though, there's a market developing on both sides for O&D. This is a route to watch.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:16 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:

It is going to be very hard to "thicken" BOS, MT is absolutely dominating VS in the market. MT has been in the BOS-MAN market for longer and there aren't enough people who fly the route for two airlines to have filled planes.

You may well be right Nickolay, although I'd expect VS to try and gain some ground in what I expect will be a growing market.

Obviously there isn't a market for both to fly daily, far from it. However, if there is a market for 8x rotations per week (for example) you'd expect VS to try and run as many as they can (likewise MT). Each has their strength, but you'd hope it would lead to a stable equilibrium in the market.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Credit to David_itl for the spot (I'm not sure why he's not posted this here?) but this gives some details about what MAN are doing to attract a direct service to India.

http://indiagbnews.com/enterprise/manch ... rtunities/

It feels like a breakthrough is not far off, Spicejet seemed poised with a daily B77W to DEL, but it was o surprise this fell through. However, the intent is there and with a raft or airlines well placed to operate MAN-DEL/BOM (those being the most likely) I'd say it's a matter of time before a route starts.

David_itl

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:16 pm

the easyJet NEO revealed. New routes to follow (soonish?) https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/first-look-inside-easyjets-new-14244134

Danfearn77

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Be nice if they did, hot on the heels of FR’s recent expansion.

Scottiedog

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Manchester Statistics - December 2017 (Part 1)

Destinations that are either new (no passengers since my records started in January 2005), or have not been served for a number of years - if the latter then the month and year of the last service is shown.

Edmonton appears for the first time, however I am slightly skeptical of the CAA data of 3 scheduled passengers.
Kharkov (Ukraine) was another newcomer with 565 charter passengers.

One domestic statistic are currently missing from the CAA report for December.

Belfast City has yet to provide figures

Total passengers for this route in December 2016 were 20,603

Moving monthly and annual figures - based on CAA statistics/MAG statistics

Monthly passengers - 1,833,620 + 1.50%
Annual Total- 22,548,757
Moving Annual Total - 27,791,274 + 8.51

Monthly Movements - 13,993 -3.12%
Annual Movements - 161,259
Moving Annual Movements - 203,631 + 5.96%

Manchester Statistics -December 2017 (Part 2)

Top 25 destinations - by passenger numbers

DUBAI................................................ 92,006
DUBLIN.............................................. 85,402
AMSTERDAM..................................... 80,314
HEATHROW....................................... 61,337
TENERIFE (SURREINA SOFIA)............. 61,110
PARIS (CHARLES DE GAULLE)............. 54,060
FRANKFURT....................................... 41,180
ABU DHABI......................................... 40,617
ALICANTE........................................... 38,772
ARRICIFE............................................ 31,645
MUNICH............................................. 30,055
COPENHAGEN.................................... 28,997
DOHA................................................. 28,800
ORLANDO.......................................... 28,309
BERLIN (SCHONEFELD)....................... 27,611
KEFLAVIK............................................ 26,380
MALAGA............................................ 26,337
GENEVA............................................. 24,772
BELFAST INTERNATIONAL.................. 24,447
BRIDGETOWN.................................... 23,195
LAS PALMAS....................................... 22,411
HAMBURG.......................................... 22,156
ISTANBUL............................................ 20,709
DUSSELDORF...................................... 19,319
FUERTAVENTURA............................... 19,306

CAA statistics for December are provisional.

Manchester Statistics - December 2017 (Part 3)

Top 25 destinations with highest percentage increase.

Destination......................................Total Pax....Schedule Pax....Charter Pax....Percentage change
COLOGNE.......................................... 16,195........... 16,195.................... 0.................. 160.119
ANTALYA.............................................. 3,693............. 3,098............... 595.................. 118.78
AGADIR................................................ 6,882............. 6,882................... 0................... 110.073
TORONTO............................................ 4,258.............. 4,218................. 40.................. 102.762
SALZBURG........................................... 4,381.............. 3,025............. 1,356.................. 93,0807
ST LUCIA.............................................. 2,456............. 2,456.................. 0.................... 74,6799
HOUSTON............................................ 5,399............. 5,399.................... 0.................. 72.3819
VERONA................................................. 862..................... 0................ 862.................. 62.0301
CHAMBERY.......................................... 2,619................. 570............. 2,049.................. 56.2649
FRANKFURT........................................ 41,180........... 41,180.................... 0.................. 44.0465
HURGHADA........................................ 10,485........... 10,485.................... 0.................. 43,7877
HONG KONG...................................... 14,443........... 14,443.................... 0................... 40.5508
PAPHOS.............................................. 16,177........... 13,185............. 2,992.................. 39,517
OSLO (GARDEMOEN)......................... 11,729........... 11,729.................... 0.................. 39.2166
BASLE................................................... 9,863............. 9,863.................... 0.................. 39.2096
NANTES................................................ 1,568............. 1,568.................... 0.................. 38.884
GLASGOW............................................ 3,538............. 3,528................... 10................. 35.4518
GOA.................................................... 13,530............ 9,840............... 3,690................. 35.2865
ROVANIEMI........................................ 12,005............ 6,010............... 5,995................. 32.9752
HELSINKI............................................. 11,683.......... 11,683...................... 0................. 32.7463
KUUSAMO............................................... 999................... 0.................. 999................. 31.9683
BILBAO................................................. 4,412............. 4,412..................... 0.................. 30.9976
GDANZ................................................. 4,359.............. 4,359.................... 0.................. 30.6655
RZESZOW............................................. 4,317.............. 4,317.................... 0.................. 28.8657
LARNACA............................................. 1,790.............. 1,790.................... 0.................. 28.592

Manchester Statistics - December 2017 (Part 4)

Figures for the European and long haul destinations that I consider to be the main points for our connecting traffic.

Foreign_airport……..Total_Pax 2016……..Total Pax 2017……% change
VIENNA………………….. 8,111……….…………….. 7,937……………….. -2.14524
BRUSSELS……………… 18,174……………………. 18,613……………….. +2.41554
BEIJING………………….. 7,770 ………………….….. 5,577.………………. -28.2299
PRAGUE………………… 15,821……………………. 16,503…….…………. +4.31073
COPENHAGEN………. 28,218……………………. 28,997……………….. +2.76065
HELSINKI………………... 8,801…………….…….. 11,683………………… +32.7463
PARIS (CDG)………….. 55,451…………………… 54,060……………..... -2.50852
DUSSELDORF………… 21,999………..…………. 19,319……..………… -12.1824
FRANKFURT MAIN… 28,588……………………. 41,180….…………… +44.0465
MUNICH……………….. 27,819..…………………. 30,055………………. +8.03767
HONG KONG……….… 10,276….………………… 14,443.……….……. +40.5508
KEFLAVIK……………….. 21,519……………….….. 26,380….………….. +22.5893
DUBLIN………………….. 84,632………………….. 85,402………..…….. +0.90982
MILAN (MALPENSA).. 13,258…………………. 12,062……………….. -9.02097
ROME (FIUMICINO)….. 4,881..…………………. 6,751……………….. -27.6996
AMSTERDAM………….. 82,418………….…….. 80,314.…………….... -2.55284
ISLAMABAD……………. 21,325..……………..… 16,839….……………. -21.0363
LISBON…………………… 16,904………………….. 15,126………..…….. -10.5182
DOHA…………………….. 30,650…………………… 28,800…………..….. -6.03589
JEDDAH…………………... 9,845…………………….. 9,741………………. -1.05637
SINGAPORE……………… 6,376…………………….. 7,425……………….. +16.4523
MADRID…………………. 12,766………………….. 10,865…..…………... -14.8911
STOCKHOLM (ARN)… 15,245………………….. 15,781..………………. +3.51591
GENEVA…………………. 23,341………………….. 24,772….………....... +6.13084
ZURICH………………….. 14,581………………….. 13,593.. ………………. -6.77594
ABU DHABI…………….. 34,892……………….…. 40,617…..…………... +16.4078
DUBAI…………………….. 84,629.…………………. 92,006………………... +8.71687
ATLANTA………………… 12,443…….……………... 5,725…………………. -53.9902
CHICAGO…..…………….. 7,146…………………….. 7,267..………………. +1.69326
HOUSTON………………… 3,132 ……………………. 5,399…………………. +72.3819
NEW YORK (JFK)……… 20,834…………………… 15,864…………..……. -23.8552
NEW YORK (NEWARK)10,637…………………… 11,819..………………. +11.1122
PHILADELPHIA………… 11,301…………………… 11,516……..…………. +1.90249
HEATHROW……………. 57,474…………………… 61,337……….………….+6.7213

Manchester Statistics - December 2017 (Part 5)

Comparison of top 25 destinations - December 2007 versus December 2017

Foreign airport...........................December-07...........December-17
HEATHROW....................................... 80,294..................... 61,337
TENERIFE (SURREINA SOFIA)............ 61,271...................... 61,110
DUBLIN.............................................. 56,851..................... 85,402
AMSTERDAM..................................... 45,054..................... 80,314
DUBAI................................................ 42,210..................... 92,006
PARIS (CHARLES DE GAULLE)............ 40,391...................... 54,060
ALICANTE.......................................... 36,420...................... 38,772
GATWICK........................................... 32,930...................... 121
MALAGA............................................ 31,728...................... 26,337
ARRECIFE........................................... 30,601...................... 31,645
ORLANDO.......................................... 30,498...................... 28,309
FRANKFURT....................................... 29,721...................... 41,180
SHARM EL SHEIK................................ 25,459...................... 0
LAS PALMAS...................................... 22,873....................... 22,411
CHICAGO (O'HARE)............................ 22,062...................... 7,267
BELFAST CITY..................................... 21,048...................... TBA
PAPHOS............................................. 18,995....................... 16,177
FUERTEVENTURA.............................. 18,819....................... 19,306
PRAGUE............................................. 18,565...................... 16,503
NEW YORK (NEWARK)....................... 17,897...................... 11,819
ISLAMABAD........................................ 17,629..................... 16,839
EDINBURGH....................................... 17,544...................... 9,340
NEW YORK (JFK)................................. 17,469..................... 15,864
SINGAPORE........................................ 16,488...................... 7,425
BRIDGETOWN.................................... 15,467..................... 23,195

Manchester Statistics - December 2017 (Part 6)

Major changes to Domestic traffic

Edinburgh - 9,340 +19.3763%
Exeter- 9,681 +19.6811%
Glasgow - 3,538 +35.4518%
Heathrow- 61,337 +6.7213%
Isle of Man - 13,108 +6.49119%
Newquay - 5,532 +21.5824%
Norwich - 1,477 -9.66361%
Southampton - 17,455 +11.4481%

CAA statistics for December are provisional

Channex757

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 am

NickolayAv wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:

The only way to do that is for VS to try to attract passenger flow away from LHR. That won't be easy or cheap as it will mean a lot of advertising.

There is always that loss of footfall MAN gets to LHR that doesn't show up on statistics at first read. The ones who drive or use trains to London. If anyone can thicken the route, it's VS as their marketing can be innovate and effective.

Los Angeles is the one screaming out at me at the moment as their best prospect. Especially now they have the right plane for the job (the incoming A332)

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:36 pm

India

The possibility of a MAN-DEL/BOM service is increasing, with two more prospective carriers in the reconing.

Jet Airways: https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/routes/je ... nity-13123

IndiGo: https://m.economictimes.com/industry/tr ... 798597.cms

To recap, Spicejet applied for slots for a daily B77W DEL-MAN. This has not yet transpired, and is unlikely to in 2018. VS have been touted for BOM (I believe in one of Anna.aero "unserved routes of the week") and the SQ influenced/owned Scoot and Vistara are also touted to be potential operators.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Los Angeles is the one screaming out at me at the moment as their best prospect. Especially now they have the right plane for the job (the incoming A332)

I agree with this, and with DL having its main west coast hub at LAX, there are some possible synergies to explore.

The possibility of Jet Airways operating from BOM/DEL-MAN also adds synergies to the VS operation, which may lead to a virtuous circle (whereby Jet's presence makes VS's TATL services more viable and vice versa).

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 am

It looks like MAN's management team is now pointing out the flawed and/or misleading claims emerging from LHR about its claims in support of the third runway. The MAG group obviously has skin in this game (through STN) but the points made in rebuttal are valid ones.

Link to article, and key quotes set out below:

[LHR CEO] Mr Holland-Kaye said: “What is unique about a hub airport like Heathrow is that we can develop long-haul connections typically to the business destinations that the UK needs in order to grow its economy. It is important not just for London but for the whole of the UK that we are connecting all of Britain to the growing markets of the world.”

Holland-Kay also said Heathrow needed to be the ‘main port of entry’ from China, adding: “We need to make sure that all of the UK benefits from connectivity, and only Heathrow expansion can deliver that.”

In response Andrew Cowan, Manchester Airport CEO said “It is concerning that Heathrow continues to make misleading claims about its role in the UK economy". “Contrary to Heathrow’s claim, it is far from being unique in connecting UK businesses to global markets".

“That’s why we need Government and politicians to focus on what they can do now to support growth and improved connectivity across the UK - and not be misled by Heathrow’s suggestion that it somehow has a monopoly on connecting Britain to the world.”

Cowan was speaking from India where Manchester airport is seeking a direct link to Delhi and Mumbai. He is also on the team negotiating commercial deals for routes to Shanghai and Guangzhou.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...throw-14256418

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:09 pm

The head of MIDAS (Manchester's inward investment agency) is in discussions with India's Minister of State for civil aviation about direct flights to Delhi and Bombay.

Cites that MAN is europe's 6th busiest market in Europe (presumably after LHR, AMS, CDG, MUC, FRA) for traffic to India (almost all of which will be at least one stop). The cited figure is "270k people travelling per year".

I assume this actually means 270k total journeys, rather than 270k people taking multiple journeys (e.g. a round trip). Using this basis, this equates to 380 passengers per day each way, so enough for a daily widebody with some excess. If you add the simulation from a direct route, this may permit a daily service to DEL and the same to BOM.

This is not the be all and end all (usual caveat about yield apply for example) but it is good to see this point in the right direction in light of the recent rumour about VS and Jet (amongst others).

User001

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:10 pm

British Airways cityflyer adding a 4th based aircraft this summer, up from the 2 based last summer.

Palma and London City gain extra flights, and the new route to Florence moves from an away based E170 to a larger based E190 (and new time of departure also).

A new route on Sunday morning is also expected.

Nickd92

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
OA260 wrote:

If so, LS must have obtained concessions from MAN, or EZY, or most likely both to facilitate.

Considering there has been no EZY expansion, despite the rumoured 18 based aircraft for Summer 18 for a long period of time, i think it has to do more with the T1 departures. If you look at the routes that are going out of T2 they are all high volume routes (PMI particularly) and there is two departures before 7 (usually PMI with either TFS or ACE depending on the day at 6am). They've moved these routes over (A330 has 327 customers on board) to create less pressure on the T1 facilities ... Security, Baggage reclaim, passport control to name but a few.

Also revenue in the facilities over in T2 will be down due to the monarch collapse. I'm sure MAG want to ensure that the retailers revenue are re-stored to pre monarch collapse levels. It will also make more sense to start moving it over to T2 considering that is the long term plan to have all departures from T2 eventually. Well it'll be T1 won't it then.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:52 pm

The above all makes sense to me!

OA260

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Nickd92 wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Considering there has been no EZY expansion, despite the rumoured 18 based aircraft for Summer 18 for a long period of time, i think it has to do more with the T1 departures. If you look at the routes that are going out of T2 they are all high volume routes (PMI particularly) and there is two departures before 7 (usually PMI with either TFS or ACE depending on the day at 6am). They've moved these routes over (A330 has 327 customers on board) to create less pressure on the T1 facilities ... Security, Baggage reclaim, passport control to name but a few.

Also revenue in the facilities over in T2 will be down due to the monarch collapse. I'm sure MAG want to ensure that the retailers revenue are re-stored to pre monarch collapse levels. It will also make more sense to start moving it over to T2 considering that is the long term plan to have all departures from T2 eventually. Well it'll be T1 won't it then.

Certainly makes sense. I flew on LS from MAN T1 last year and was impressed with their set up there. Im sure T2 will be as good with regards check in and the LS reps etc..

David_itl

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Fresh statement on a MAN-India route:

"Partnership chairman Andrew Cowan, chief executive of Manchester Airport, said in a statement on Tuesday that securing a direct service was one of his number one priorities. He wrote: “The business case is almost proven and it is fair to say we have had lots of encouraging dialogue already with a range of Indian airlines. We hope the formation of this partnership will contribute to these discussions becoming even more meaningful in the weeks and months ahead."

http://indiagbnews.com/enterprise/mip-chairman-buoyed-encouraging-dialogue-direct-manchester-india-air-link/

If they are talking of a range of airlines then we need to work out the "missing" airlines that have gone public seeing that we have Jet Airways talking regional UK expansion and Indigo wanting to connect 4 cities in the UK with India. Spicejet went through slot application but with no appropriate aircraft. Air India have the aircraft but I reckon are more BHX/LHR fixated and then the unknown quantity in Vistara. which is the Tata -SQ joint venture.

In other news, a "disastrous" month with passenger numbers having fallen fractionally (terminal passengers 0.05%, total passengers 0.45%) In January. Amazed that the numbers are as good as they are given the lack of Monarch operations and the reduced Ryanair programme.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/northwest/manchester-airport-nears-28-million-passengers

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Sounds like Oman Air are introducing the B788/789 on the route.

MancMAN

Oman b788

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am

A nice increase in capacity, 700 seats per week. Potential for double daily??

User001

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:28 pm

Yet more Ryanair increases.

Firstly, a new route to Catania:

FR9046 MAN 1145 CTA 1500
FR9047 CTA 1525 MAN 1840
Mondays

FR9046 MAN 1700 CTA 2015
FR9047 CTA 2040 MAN 2355
Friday’s

That’s 11 new routes for S18 so far.

And Shannon gains 2 weekly flights to make it 6 weekly.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Credit to ScottyDog, the vast majority of the data is taken from his records.

I've grouped the annual statistics from several of the key long haul routes since 2005 into four regions:

1 - USA (New York, Washington, Philly, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, LA, Miami, Vegas, Orlando, Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston);
2 - Canada (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary);
3 - Far East (Singapore, Hong Kong, KL, Beijing); and
4 - Middle East (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Muscat).

Obviously not all operated throughout the period, it doesn't include Jeddah, the Caribbean, Pakistan, Goa, or the small charter runs by TuI, TCX etc. I've not pulled together the stats to the European hubs (where there may also be a lot of O&D), or LHR (where it will mostly be transfer traffic). Nevertheless, I hope this is interesting, it's just a sweeping overview so there is probably more nuggets to uncover.

3.9m long haul passengers in 2017 is a record (since 2005) and with the other Caribbean routes etc. I'd bet MAN is closer to 5m. .

-------------------

USA: the 2017 number of 1,685,976 is almost 100k up from 2016. This is the highest annual total since 2007, where it peaked at 1.8m, but still below 2005 & 2006. Within this most routes are flat, smith some slightly down/up. The increase is mostly down to new routes (SFO/IAH).

Canada - at 143k in 2017, this is lower than every year since 2005, with the exception of 2013. Within this, Toronto (112k) is at its highest level since 2007, perhaps indicative that TS or another may operate more winter services. Vancouver has been flat at 30k since 2008 (which was the last year it was offered year round). August 2017 was the highest monthly total for YVR in a decade, so it may be that more services will be forthcoming in the coming years.

Middle East - at 1,823,623 this is the highest it has ever been, an increase of 100k on 2016. This trend (annual increases of 100k) has broadly followed since 2005 (there was a blip in 2008 during the GFC). This has been driven by EK and Oman this year, as EY and QR are slightly down. Of interest, Oman's numbers are broadly the same as Etihad in its first year at MAN, so the projected introduction of the B789 and possible double daily doesn't seem unrealistic in the next 2/3 years.

Far East - at 307k this is the highest at any point since 2005. The next highest is actually 2005, when the two carriers were SQ (161k) and MH (113k). SQ (85k) is down this year compared to last (97k), but the number of passengers carried per sector increased (service dropping from daily via MUC to 6x weekly non-stop). SQ's record of 182k is some way off, but there is clearly room for growth and the sector loads have been strong on MAN-SIN for some time, but it requires IAH to continue growing if MAN-SIN is to become daily. HU carried 90k, but is looking like a 4x weekly service with summer seasonal daily. CX looks strong at 131k, if December's numbers are repeated (when daily was introduced) we could see 170k in 2018,if this increase is fulfilled we could see the proposed 11x weekly.

Horizon scanning, the next geographic frontier is India - and we have seen rumours about VS and Jet (amongst others) planning to offer services here. Further Chinese services (Guangzhou and Shanghai) remain on the radar, but it will be interesting to see what effect this has on existing services to Beijing and Hong Kong. There is always the continuing moonbeam that is TG/BKK, so lets see if any other left field services appear (more middle east and sub-Saharan Africa).

Looking west, welook for further development of VS and TCX's networks. New routes and thickening existing routes with additional frequencies and, where relevant, longer seasons and/or year round services. Quite where the AA and/or UA will go next remains to be seen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos