Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mariner
Topic Author

Single African Air Transport Market

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 am

This great concept is due to take effect this month - although a number of countries have not yet signed to it::

https://qz.com/1178341/the-africa-union ... rt-market/

"Defined by long delays and cancellations, limited connections, rickety planes, and dilapidated runways, flying across Africa can sometimes be quite inconvenient....Yet some of those problems are set to become history when the Single African Air Travel Market (SAATM) is launched by the African Union (AU) in late January.

So far, 21 countries that command more than 670 million of the continent’s population have committed to the plan. These include Benin, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone in the West; Kenya, and Rwanda in the East; Zimbabwe and South Africa in the south; and Egypt in the North. The single market is also host to eight of Africa’s top ten busiest airports including Bole International Airport in Ethiopia and O. R. Tambo in Johannesburg, South Africa. Up to 15 carriers, which account for more than 70% of intra-African air travel, have also signed up for the common market including Ethiopian Airlines, Kenya Airways, South African Express, and Egypt Air.

It's a huge undertaking but an exciting one, although there are plenty of doubts about the ability to make it happen:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201801020099.html

"Shortsightedly, majority of African governments still believe that protecting their national interests far outweighs any of the benefits of open skies.

In East Africa, only Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda have shown serious commitment to the open skies movement.

Ironically, it is these same protective governments that bemoan non-African carriers taking up to 80 per cent of African traffic.

It remains a great concept.

mariner

mercure1

Re: Single African Air Transport Market

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:10 am

Yes good in concept, but, largely a joke in practice.

While 44 nations committed to the Yamoussoukro agreement way back in 1999, even those that have slowly ratified the agreement place roadblocks on the opening of markets.
Simple things like lack of infrastructure, government control facility and their charges, high taxation, monopoly ground handling, high fuel cost and taxes, ongoing strong protectionist feelings makes its application rather hard in many nations.

Unfortunately Africa has very far still to go to offer an open liberal market such as EU or ASEAN.

mariner
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 am

mercure1 wrote:

While 44 nations committed to the Yamoussoukro agreement way back in 1999, even those that have slowly ratified the agreement place roadblocks on the opening of markets.
Simple things like lack of infrastructure, government control facility and their charges, high taxation, monopoly ground handling, high fuel cost and taxes, ongoing strong protectionist feelings makes its application rather hard in many nations.

Unfortunately Africa has very far still to go to offer an open liberal market such as EU or ASEAN.

I think its a bit of a joke to invoke EU or ASEAN at this very early stage, but they have to start somewhere and Ethiopian, for one, has turned itself into a powerhouse for African airlines:

https://qz.com/1184830/ethiopian-airlin ... -and-more/

"With a mix of strategic investments and partnerships, airline acquisitions, and efficient service delivery, Ethiopian Airlines hopes to take over Africa’s skies and change air travel on the continent.
This week, the carrier announced it bought a 45% stake to revive Zambia Airways, which went into liquidation way back in 1994. The airline is also in talks with other African governments including Ghana to re-launch their national carriers."

Yes, its going to take time, but the longest journey begins with a single step.

mariner

PM

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:15 am

Very interesting. I lived for four years in Tanzania and I'm now into my third year of living in Namibia - sorry, Nambia.

There is no doubt that the African market is a mess. (There was an issue of The Economist in February 2016 that had a good piece about this.) And, mostly, it's a self-inflicted mess.

One example.

As we all know, the long-awaited route to St. Helena was opened up recently. The SA Airlink flight leaves from JNB and refuels in Windhoek. I live in Windhoek. Great, I thought, I'll hop aboard and have a week in St. Helena.

Well, not unless I first go to JNB, I won't. The Namibian government refuses to give Airlink traffic rights. Why? How short-sighted. Not only must Namibians who want to visit the island board a plane at WDH, fly to JNB, return to WDH, and then fly on to St. Helena, but Europeans who want to fly there and might otherwise travel to Windhoek (maybe even on Air Namibia) and perhaps spend some money in the country will now go instead to JNB.

Still, the SAATM probably can't hurt. Fingers crossed.

berari

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 pm

mercure1 wrote:

You're quite the pessimist. A lot has changed in the last 19 years and there are many lessons learned by each of the countries since. Granted, execution is key, and this is the first step.

rukundo

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 pm

25 years go, to fly in Europe was expensive. Lliberalization in UE started from early 1990s. In France, depsite some special "low"l fares, Air Inter had monopoly till mid 90s, and to fly in France in France was expansive. It changed when Air Liberté, AOM started to serve main French Cites from Paris, and some other airlines such as Air Littoral, Regional or Flandre Air were able to open more routes without restrictions.

I m agree with others, i think this time things could be better. Some countries are improving infrastructure and legalisation. Some countries such as Mauritania and Zambia have made big progress, they have been removed from UE Black list.

More and more countries have improved their visa policy (Benin, Namibia, Ghana, Rwanda,..) to improve trade between Africans countries. There is a growing middle class in Africa, a young and dynamic population and some Africans Countries record the biggest growth rate in the World.

What IATA said in 2016:

2036 Forecast Reveals Air Passengers Will Nearly Double to 7.8 Billion

Many of the fastest-growing markets are achieving a compound growth rate of more than 7.2% per year, meaning their market will double in size each decade. Most of these markets are in Africa, including: Sierra Leone, Benin, Mali, Rwanda, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Senegal, Ethiopia, Ivory Coast, Tanzania, Malawi, Chad, Gambia and Mozambique.

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/ ... 24-01.aspx

Population of Africa is over 1 billion. In deed they are many issues to fix ( lack of skilled staff, high rate of unemployment,...) The road will be long, but the potential is huge. The Africa of 90s, early 2000s is gone.

evanb

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 am

There are several countries which have fairly liberalized approaches (e.g. Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria and Ethiopia), however, there are some big juggernauts like Nigeria and Angola who are unlikely to give up their protectionism anytime soon. I think African countries need to take a dichotomous approach and look to liberalize within African air travel as a priority over external liberalization.

mapletux

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:57 am

evanb wrote:
There are several countries which have fairly liberalized approaches (e.g. Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria and Ethiopia), however, there are some big juggernauts like Nigeria and Angola who are unlikely to give up their protectionism anytime soon. I think African countries need to take a dichotomous approach and look to liberalize within African air travel as a priority over external liberalization.

How much protectionism is there in Nigeria when foreign airlines carry most of the international traffic?
Off the top of my head, I can think of AF, KL, LH, EK, EY, QR, TK, DL, BA, VS, SA, ET, MS, AT, KQ all with flights to LOS or ABV.

idp5601

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:58 am

mariner wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

I think its a bit of a joke to invoke EU or ASEAN at this very early stage, but they have to start somewhere and Ethiopian, for one, has turned itself into a powerhouse for African airlines:

https://qz.com/1184830/ethiopian-airlin ... -and-more/

"With a mix of strategic investments and partnerships, airline acquisitions, and efficient service delivery, Ethiopian Airlines hopes to take over Africa’s skies and change air travel on the continent.
This week, the carrier announced it bought a 45% stake to revive Zambia Airways, which went into liquidation way back in 1994. The airline is also in talks with other African governments including Ghana to re-launch their national carriers."

Yes, its going to take time, but the longest journey begins with a single step.

mariner

So ET is on course to becoming Africa's LH Group then?

evanb

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:36 am

mapletux wrote:
evanb wrote:

How much protectionism is there in Nigeria when foreign airlines carry most of the international traffic?
Off the top of my head, I can think of AF, KL, LH, EK, EY, QR, TK, DL, BA, VS, SA, ET, MS, AT, KQ all with flights to LOS or ABV.

And all with highly limited access. Does Nigeria have an open skies agreement with any countries?

mariner
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:15 am

idp5601 wrote:
So ET is on course to becoming Africa's LH Group then?

I've no idea, I'm not big on comparisons. Rather than seeing Ethiopian as an African Lufthansa I'd rather see it as the first African air conglomerate, but each to their own.

I'd guess there would be barriers to it in terms of national percentage ownership of each airline, but maybe that could be sorted out.

mariner

mapletux

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am

evanb wrote:
mapletux wrote:
evanb wrote:

And all with highly limited access. Does Nigeria have an open skies agreement with any countries?

There is an Open Skies agreement signed with the USA around 2000 as well as Bilateral Air Services Agreements with several countries which specify the number of frequencies, airports, etc. The one with the UK specifies 21 flights /week for the British carriers named as BA (7 LOS / 7 ABV) and VS (7 LOS).

evanb

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm

mapletux wrote:
There is an Open Skies agreement signed with the USA around 2000 as well as Bilateral Air Services Agreements with several countries which specify the number of frequencies, airports, etc. The one with the UK specifies 21 flights /week for the British carriers named as BA (7 LOS / 7 ABV) and VS (7 LOS).

And yet they don't have open skies with any African countries. That's my point of concern. This initiative is about liberalization of air travel within Africa and yet their bilaterals with other African countries are very restrictive. It does take both parties to get an open skies or liberalized agreements, but the fact that they don't have liberalized agreements with countries that tend to favor open skies like Ghana, South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenya, etc suggests a restrictive attitude.

ETinCaribe

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:02 pm

This is a good start and as noted, we will see the adoption and adherence rate. But anything is better than nothing; the first movers will reap the benefits which should entice the others.

mapletux

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:15 am

evanb wrote:
mapletux wrote:

And yet they don't have open skies with any African countries. That's my point of concern. This initiative is about liberalization of air travel within Africa and yet their bilaterals with other African countries are very restrictive. It does take both parties to get an open skies or liberalized agreements, but the fact that they don't have liberalized agreements with countries that tend to favor open skies like Ghana, South Africa, Ethiopia, Kenya, etc suggests a restrictive attitude.

Part of the problem with Nigeria is the lack of home carriers that can take advantage of these bilaterals. I'm sure BA would like to increase LOS and ABV as well as fly to PHC but this will probably not happen while there are no viable Nigeria carriers capable of operating a corresponding number of flights to the UK.

Galwayman

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:02 am

KQ has 5th freedom routes via Livingstone and Victoria Falls to Cape Town .... very very helpful when travelling through Southern Africa , and I think Air Namibia has some 5th freedoms via Botswana . My experience is that there is some liberalisation emerging in practice

berari

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Galwayman wrote:
KQ has 5th freedom routes via Livingstone and Victoria Falls to Cape Town .... very very helpful when travelling through Southern Africa , and I think Air Namibia has some 5th freedoms via Botswana . My experience is that there is some liberalisation emerging in practice

If you look at the map of those countries that have declared support ot this latest initiative, you will see that the strength lies in southern and western Africa.

The Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON) has once again asked the Federal Government to backtrack on the immediate implementation of the open skies programme encapsulated in the Single African Air Transport Market (SAATM) propounded by the African Union Heads of State and Government.
To the AON, a body representing the indigenous carriers, the country is not ripe for it.

It said though open skies is a good idea, Nigeria is not well positioned to handle the level of 'unfair' competition that the full implementation of the SAATM brings and that government should not to lose sight of the facts and dangers that the direct implementation will cause the Nigerian economy, Nigeria as a whole and the future of the youths.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/nigeria-n ... sists.html

Each country still has challenges to go through, and the AON in Nigeria is pointing out its own. It's not just governments in some cases that are protectionist, it's the industry itself that lobbies for such stance.

berari

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 pm

It looks like Kenya Airways' CEO is also warning about a level playing field. While I can't read the whole article, he mentions that KQ's environment is different than others. I would have expected KQ to fully embrace such initiative. I wonder what fair level playing field he's hoping for.

Kenya Airways CEO Sebastian Mikosz has asked for a fair level playing field within African Open Skies, which can be only happen when all carriers have the same rules. The long-awaited opening of the intra-African air transport market will become a reality Jan. 28 when the African Union (AU) signs off on the final rule-making after a renewed push for liberalization. “Kenya Airways has a very competitive environment. Most of competing airlines have a different mandate from ours.

http://atwonline.com/open-skies/kenya-a ... 2d0f2f6a08

georgiabill

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 pm

Will Namibia join this accord? If so could we see Air Namibia growing and starting additional regional or long haul flights?

berari

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:11 pm

This map shows the countries that have signed on as of today.

ghdc10

African Aviation: Single African Air Transport Market

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:59 am

Hey folks! After a long absence, I decided to post again.
Just replied to a thread about South African Airways and made a few points about the Single African Air Transport Market agreement and the possibilities at hand.

I have been lurking for years, so this is a lengthy cathartic post. Please be gentle.

I don't have anything to say about the current management/politics, but the future could be great if SA were to play their cards right...
...In the last couple of weeks, the Single African Air Transport Market agreement has been signed by over 20 participating nations including South Africa. South African, Ethiopian, Kenya Airways and Egypt Air will all have enormous opportunities to swoop in on routes from cities they already serve to new destinations from which there is proven and under-served demand. https://au.int/sites/default/files/news ... nglish.pdf

SA could, in theory, open new destinations like Bamako with a stop in Brazzaville 3 times a week and Libreville 4 times a week. Neither of these countries have home carriers: there is lots of potential for SA between Central Africa and West Africa.

There is also the possibility of opening up more routes from Cape Town/ Durban to avoid damaging profitable non stop routes like Lagos or Accra to Johannesburg. In the Anglophone markets, think of flights from Cape Town to Accra or Lagos with stops in Harare and full 5th freedom rights along the way. This would be the first West African connection to Harare since the 90s and the first direct service from Cape Town to West Africa. The beauty of these one stop services is that city pairs with even 50 passengers a day (albeit high yielding ones) would work well given the right aircraft. SA could open Accra 3 times a week and Lagos 4 times a week on a C-series. (yes, I dare to dream! how sexy would that be? mockup anyone?)
I think geographic positioning of Johannesburg could make it a strong contender for all south-eastern to north western traffic.
If more countries joined this agreement, it would be a thing of beauty. Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria could all be excellent additions via current West African destinations with 737/A320.

Many will openly mock thinner routes from Harare or Brazzaville because we have a tendency to overlook those markets in favor of the sexier European mega hubs. SA focused largely on those routes and they could not withstand the intense competition from the likes of BA/KLM/AirFrance/Lufthansa and now even the low-cost long haul carriers. Pretty amazing to see that Ethiopian successfully built the backbone of its network in Africa focusing on traffic that did not originate or terminate in Addis Ababa. Perhaps this is where SA's future lies.

Perhaps ET or KQ could finally start Cape Verde through mainland cities in West Africa. Demand would be the tricky bit, I admit. But if they can start Seychelles, then why not Cape Verde? I imagine there aren't many options to Middle East or Asia from Cape Verde. From what I've read, there seems to be a lot of Chinese trade and investment. ET would be a logical fit with 3 Chinese routes and Hong Kong on their network.

More obvious choices for route development could see more competition on Brazzaville/Libreville to Abidjan routing resulting in lower fares.

What routes do you think could be profitably flown by the 4 largest incumbent airlines in the participating countries?
I have already identified a few for South African above. which could also work for ET/KQ. Drooling at the aircraft utilization rates they could achieve if schedules were well timed to take advantage of the 3 hour timezone difference between Addis Ababa in the east and Conakry in the west.
Any thoughts on what are likely to be the first routes?

grjplanes

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 am

What African destinations can ET still open, that will be feasible...meaning from their own ADD hub...
They're working with lots of plans and ideas with different governments getting operations started, but not sure if they're all earmarked to be operating as a hub...so far only the Lome (LFW) hub looks like it's operating in that manner and supplementing ET through the region...the other venture, Malawian haven't grown at all and isn't really operating as a hub, as much as ET likes to say so in the media always...even though there are a few possibilities, smaller destinations in the region that ET might not really go to themselves, but can feed through LLW or BLZ (not even sure which one is really the Malawian base or 'hub')...from there Malawian can go with Q400s to some Northern Mozambique destinations (POL, APL, BEW, TET etc.) and Bulawayo (BUQ), Zimbabwe and Manzini (SHO), Swaziland...places where ET might not really go from ADD itself.

Rwandair also seems to be taking advantage of more and more 5th freedom routes throughout Africa...what is now their West/Central African hub?
They've also just loaded schedules for KGL-HRE-CPT, to start 16 May 4 weekly, with 5th freedom on HRE-CPT, which should be a good market.

KQ also announced NBO-MRU today...guess ET will also still get to MRU, KQ just want to get in first, however it's more a market for travellers combining Serengeti and Island, MK already operates the route.

Can we perhaps compile a list of all the 5th freedom routes in Africa being operated by other African Airlines: ie: WB HRE-CPT, KQ LVI-CPT, ET BKO-DSS etc?

rukundo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 am

Can we perhaps compile a list of all the 5th freedom routes in Africa being operated by other African Airlines: ie: WB HRE-CPT, KQ LVI-CPT, ET BKO-DSS etc?

Here is a first list, probably many are missing

RwandAir:
Entebbe-Juba / Entebbe-Nairobi
Accra-Lagos

The Kigali-Lagos seems to be the busiest route (1 flight a day, but i don't have stats for the Dubai Kigali route) for RwandAir. In 2017, they carried almost 110 000 pax (quite huge for Africa). I understand why the A330 is often deployed ( cargo demand is also high): http://saharareporters.com/2018/01/31/e ... fic-report & "Nigeria: Rwandair Finds Biggest Market in Nigeria" (2016) http://allafrica.com/stories/201609301142.html)

Bamako-Dakar / Bamako-Cotonou (both to start from late March 2018)
Bamako-Conakry (to start from late March 2018)
Abidjan-Cotonou / Abidjan-Dakar
Johannesburg-Lusaka
Harare-Lusaka
Douala-Brazzaville
Brazzaville-Libreville
Brazzaville-Cotonou
Libreville-Cotonou
Douala-Cotonou
Harare-Cape Town (as grjplanes said, this route will start from mid May 2018)
Yaounde-Abuja (planned for 2018. Kigali-Abuja service plans to start from 15 April 2018, via Accra, no 5th freedom trafic rights, btw Accra & Abuja)

South African Airways:
Accra-Abidjan

Egyptair:
Accra-Abidjan

Air Cote d'Ivoire
Freetown-Monrovia

Kenya Airways
Kigali-Bujumbura
Lusaka-Harare
Abidjan-Dakar
Bamako-Dakar
Accra-Freetown
Freetown-Monrovia

Arik Air:
Dakar-Accra
Accra-Banjul
Banjul-Dakar

Ceiba (Equatorial Guinea)
Dakar-Cotonou

Mauritania Airlines:
Bamako-Dakar
Abidjan-Dakar
Brazzaville-Cotonou
Bamako-Brazzaville

Ethiopian Airlines
Bamako-Dakar
Conakry-Abidjan
Kigali-Bujumbura
Entebbe-Juba
Malabo-Douala
Harare-Lusaka

grjplanes

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 pm

rukundo wrote:

Here is a first list, probably many are missing

RwandAir:
Entebbe-Juba / Entebbe-Nairobi
Accra-Lagos

The Kigali-Lagos seems to be the busiest route (1 flight a day, but i don't have stats for the Dubai Kigali route) for RwandAir. In 2017, they carried almost 110 000 pax (quite huge for Africa). I understand why the A330 is often deployed ( cargo demand is also high): http://saharareporters.com/2018/01/31/e ... fic-report & "Nigeria: Rwandair Finds Biggest Market in Nigeria" (2016) http://allafrica.com/stories/201609301142.html)

Bamako-Dakar / Bamako-Cotonou (both to start from late March 2018)
Bamako-Conakry (to start from late March 2018)
Abidjan-Cotonou / Abidjan-Dakar
Johannesburg-Lusaka
Harare-Lusaka
Douala-Brazzaville
Brazzaville-Libreville
Brazzaville-Cotonou
Libreville-Cotonou
Douala-Cotonou
Harare-Cape Town (as grjplanes said, this route will start from mid May 2018)
Yaounde-Abuja (planned for 2018. Kigali-Abuja service plans to start from 15 April 2018, via Accra, no 5th freedom trafic rights, btw Accra & Abuja)

South African Airways:
Accra-Abidjan

Egyptair:
Accra-Abidjan

Air Cote d'Ivoire
Freetown-Monrovia

Kenya Airways
Kigali-Bujumbura
Lusaka-Harare
Abidjan-Dakar
Bamako-Dakar
Accra-Freetown
Freetown-Monrovia

Arik Air:
Dakar-Accra
Accra-Banjul
Banjul-Dakar

Ceiba (Equatorial Guinea)
Dakar-Cotonou

Mauritania Airlines:
Bamako-Dakar
Abidjan-Dakar
Brazzaville-Cotonou
Bamako-Brazzaville

Ethiopian Airlines
Bamako-Dakar
Conakry-Abidjan
Kigali-Bujumbura
Entebbe-Juba
Malabo-Douala
Harare-Lusaka

Wow surprised with all the WB ones, presuming then their "hub" focus in West/Central Africa is Brazzaville and Cotonou.

Actually thought ET would have more...any idea if they have 5th freedom on VFA-GBE route, which is only one-way though?

Most ones of SAA is now gone after dropping several West and Central African routes, not sure if Airlink will pick some of these up again with their E190s.

KQ also has LVI-CPT and VFA-CPT...some of their routes to Indian Ocean and Mozambique also operates via other stops, do they have 5th on them?

Air Namibia has 5th on GBE-DUR ...they're also launching WDH-LOS-ACC next month, will they have 5th on LOS-ACC?

styrian

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 pm

phatfarmlines

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Would this make it easier to recreate an Air Afrique-type carrier?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos