Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Re: Delta Air Lines Network Thread 2018

Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:50 pm

klm617 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:

I would imagine that an upcoming venture with Jet Airways is the kind of strategic investment DL can use to capture USA - India traffic for those wanting a lower cost option. I don't think there is much of a market for DL to move into it's own with USA to India traffic, but perhaps a more extensive codeshare or joint venture through Amsterdam as has already been increasing might help them at least start to mature their presence in South Asia?

Would this venture bring Jet Airways into JFK and ATL?

Also, what about ATL-TLV?

How about Jet Airways or TLV from Detroit.

I kind of doubt they would fly nonstop to DTW to start, but they could maybe take over an AMS frequency routing BOM-AMS-DTW for example.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Re: Delta Air Lines Network Thread - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 am

Anyone know why DL flies MCO-MIA?
It seems incongruous to any of their focus operations unless its meant to feed MCO-GRU, (MIA-MCO-GRU, GRU-MCO-MIA) or HAV from MCO, HAV-MIA-MCO?

Any idea, just wondered, given the short length of the route, single frequency, and "large" aircraft MD88?

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 am

SumChristianus wrote:
It seems incongruous to any of their focus operations unless its meant to feed MCO-GRU, (MIA-MCO-GRU, GRU-MCO-MIA) or HAV from MCO, HAV-MIA-MCO?

Any idea, just wondered, given the short length of the route, single frequency, and "large" aircraft MD88?

It is a feeder for the MCO-GRU flight, both even have the same flight number (197)
Last edited by Midwestindy on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeltaRules

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:37 am

SumChristianus wrote:

I think you're right, it's meant to feed Brazil.

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:51 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
There are no more MD-88 flights out of MCO anymore. Off topic but I think that the MD-88s are only flying from ATL and DTW anymore. (they were taken out of LGA last March and I haven't seen any in JFK or MSP within the last month.)

DL stated a while back that all MD88s will be based in ATL by the summer

KMCOFlyer

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:51 am

SumChristianus wrote:

It's meant to feed the MCO-GRU flight and they even share the same flight number. I wish they would add a second daily flight to let MCO pax connect to the MIA-HAV flight and MIA pax to connect to the MCO-AMS flight. Also the flight switched from a MD-88 to an A320 about a month ago. There are no more MD-88 flights out of MCO anymore. Off topic but I think that the MD-88s are only flying from ATL and DTW anymore. (they were taken out of LGA last March and I haven't seen any in JFK or MSP within the last month.)

BoeingGuy

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:56 am

davescj wrote:
DL is going to open a SC in AUS. But there's no way it will become a hub. UA and AA are just to dominate in TX. That doesn't mean AUS can't be another IND, by which I mean a decent focus city. If BA can support a route to LHR, I would have to expect someone is running the numbers to AMS or CDG (esp with a JV). As to SLC - remember when they had enough flights to support 2 clubs? Yes, SLC is a fortress hub, but if I recall correctly, the city is subsidizing some of the routes (NRT and CDG if I'm not mistaken). How are the yields w/o subsidy? And as DL expands - on what metal? There are lots of frame retirements on the schedule. I do think it will be interesting to see what happens next. I"m very happy to see CVG being built up again. Their FAs were the most fun to fly to Europe with.

DL doesn’t fly to NRT from SLC. Pretty sure SLC-CDG isn’t subsidized.

flymco753

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

It's meant to feed the MCO-GRU flight and they even share the same flight number. I wish they would add a second daily flight to let MCO pax connect to the MIA-HAV flight and MIA pax to connect to the MCO-AMS flight. Also the flight switched from a MD-88 to an A320 about a month ago. There are no more MD-88 flights out of MCO anymore. Off topic but I think that the MD-88s are only flying from ATL and DTW anymore. (they were taken out of LGA last March and I haven't seen any in JFK or MSP within the last month.)
Beat me to it, DL has a loyal following in Orlando so it makes a good option for the business travelers who don’t prefer to drive. When I visit the Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area I always fly from MCO.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:23 am

I know I've asked this before, but it still seems like I'm missing something, it seems as if DL's strategy is to fly mainline (like the 717) and presumably the CS100 into small cities only on the last flight out of a hub and the first flight in. I just don't understand how DL fills its small city mainline RONS, MSP-FAR, DTW-TVC, ATL-CHO, etc., especially as they are growing in size, MSP-FAR recently saw an A321 alongside an A319 two hours apart from it, The flights which directly feed them are usually the smallest (or nonexistent) . The last flight MSP-FAR (the largest of the day) for example is fed by the last flights into the hub DSM-MSP, GRR-MSP, etc., which are typically some of the smaller aircraft on those routes (at those times). In the reverse the next morning FAR-MSP doesn't seem to meet up with many connecting seats, as early outbound flights from a hub are typically the smallest. Does DL force all day connections to meet up with the peak of seat departures in the evening out of the hub. It just seems like there is a big imbalance between when the majority of seats are flown into a hub and the connecting opportunities that flight meets.
Any ideas again, sorry I'm just still struggling to understand the hub system scheduling. Some of you were able to help, but it seems like the discrepancies are wider at DL between morning and evening capacity.

cokepopper

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am

Delta announced Apr 16, 2018 that the following Previously announced Summer Seasonal flights will be
year round. LAX-AMS, LAX-CDG, IND-CDG, MCO-AMS and JFK-LIS. And discontinue service EWR-CDG.
https://news.delta.com/more-delta-nonst ... and-europe

fsafsx

Thu May 03, 2018 4:45 pm

How about JFK to ANC service? This is a big domestic hole and it can be flown on the 757-200.

klm617

Thu May 03, 2018 5:37 pm

fsafsx wrote:
How about JFK to ANC service? This is a big domestic hole and it can be flown on the 757-200.

Detroit Anchorage is even a bigger whole than NYC-ANC

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm

klm617 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

Yes DTW-ANC should probably come first.
NYC-ANC may be a larger market but it is already served by UA (from EWR) and with DL's ATL-ANC downgauged to B757-200 (from B763) I think there is room for DTW-ANC to come back.

DTW-DEN also got a 4th daily flight for the summer (not sure if that new) and MFR-SEA got a second daily flight.
DL in Medford, OR is now up to 4 daily E175, 2x SLC, 2x SEA, quite a jump from 2x CR2 to SLC as was offered last Fall.
Again these may just be seasonal changes, but DL seems to be quietly continuing its SEA expansion, with quite impressive comparisons over the long-term. SEA-GEG for example is now up to 6x E75, 1x 717 for Summer, SEA-LAS is 2x 717, 3x 738, SEA-YEG is 2x E75, SEA-BNA is a 738, SEA-LAX gets several 739 frequencies, SEA-DEN is 3x 717, 1x 319, and BOS is now up to 3x daily on some days in Summer (9 daily flights on SEA-BOS!)

BOS and SEA seem to be the growth engines this year from a cursory look over the schedule:https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/flight_schedules.pdf but DTW is getting some upgauges and A321s are spreading far and wide.

klm617

Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
klm617 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

NYC-ANC may be a larger market but it is already served by UA (from EWR) and with DL's ATL-ANC downgauged to B757-200 (from B763) I think there is room for DTW-ANC to come back.

DTW-DEN also got a 4th daily flight for the summer (not sure if that new) and MFR-SEA got a second daily flight.
DL in Medford, OR is now up to 4 daily E175, 2x SLC, 2x SEA, quite a jump from 2x CR2 to SLC as was offered last Fall.
Again these may just be seasonal changes, but DL seems to be quietly continuing its SEA expansion, with quite impressive comparisons over the long-term. SEA-GEG for example is now up to 6x E75, 1x 717 for Summer, SEA-LAS is 2x 717, 3x 738, SEA-YEG is 2x E75, SEA-BNA is a 738, SEA-LAX gets several 739 frequencies, SEA-DEN is 3x 717, 1x 319, and BOS is now up to 3x daily on some days in Summer (9 daily flights on SEA-BOS!)

BOS and SEA seem to be the growth engines this year from a cursory look over the schedule:https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/flight_schedules.pdf but DTW is getting some upgauges and A321s are spreading far and wide.

It's interesting to note the DL ordinates the BOS-DUB flight at DTW both ways meaning there is a market.

fsafsx

Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 am

klm617 wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
klm617 wrote:

It's interesting to note the DL ordinates the BOS-DUB flight at DTW both ways meaning there is a market.
Of course this had to turn into a DTW post

FA9295

Fri May 04, 2018 4:17 am

fsafsx wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

It's not a true Delta thread unless if it mentions DTW at least once in every other post... :rotfl:

Midwestindy

Thu May 24, 2018 1:16 pm

https://news.delta.com/summer-celebrate ... lying-ever

This summer will be Delta's biggest for TATL flying:

"Hub-to-hub flying is important to Delta on the trans-Atlantic but travel demand is so high during the summer that we increase our 'point-to-point' network too," sa​id Dwight James, Senior Vice President -Transatlantic. "Throughout the summer season, we are celebrating seven new routes and remain the leading carrier between the U.S. and Europe."

"Delta will offer up to 85 daily departures from the United States to Europe this summer"

"Paris will welcome back nonstop service from Pittsburgh as well as an additional frequency from Detroit, bringing to 15 the number of peak-day nonstop services Delta offers to the French capital."

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 12:34 am

Midwestindy wrote:
https://news.delta.com/summer-celebrate-delta-offering-more-trans-atlantic-flying-ever

"Hub-to-hub flying is important to Delta on the trans-Atlantic but travel demand is so high during the summer that we increase our 'point-to-point' network too," sa​id Dwight James, Senior Vice President -Transatlantic. "Throughout the summer season, we are celebrating seven new routes and remain the leading carrier between the U.S. and Europe."

"Delta will offer up to 85 daily departures from the United States to Europe this summer"

"Paris will welcome back nonstop service from Pittsburgh as well as an additional frequency from Detroit, bringing to 15 the number of peak-day nonstop services Delta offers to the French capital."

Wait...did PIT-CDG end and then restart, or just a restart of seasonal service?
85 daily departures each way transatlantic, works out to around 85 planes/lines utilized, right?

jplatts

Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 am

DL could expand its LGA hub by switching some of the LGA-CLT, LGA-ORD, LGA-CVG, LGA-CMH, LGA-DFW, LGA-IAH, LGA-IND, LGA-MCI, LGA-MKE, LGA-BNA, LGA-RDU, and LGA-STL Delta Connection nonstop flights over to DL mainline flights.

cvgComair

Wed May 30, 2018 12:40 am

SumChristianus wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://news.delta.com/summer-celebrate-delta-offering-more-trans-atlantic-flying-ever

Wait...did PIT-CDG end and then restart, or just a restart of seasonal service?
85 daily departures each way transatlantic, works out to around 85 planes/lines utilized, right?

Just restart of seasonal service.

klm617

Wed May 30, 2018 3:30 pm

FA9295 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:
klm617 wrote:

It's not a true Delta thread unless if it mentions DTW at least once in every other post... :rotfl:

Last I checked DTW was a major hub in the Delta network so hence it should be a big part of the discussion here.

FSDan

Wed May 30, 2018 3:41 pm

jplatts wrote:
DL could expand its LGA hub by switching some of the LGA-CLT, LGA-ORD, LGA-CVG, LGA-CMH, LGA-DFW, LGA-IAH, LGA-IND, LGA-MCI, LGA-MKE, LGA-BNA, LGA-RDU, and LGA-STL Delta Connection nonstop flights over to DL mainline flights.

This summer, LGA-ORD, LGA-CVG, and LGA-DFW will all see some mainline frequencies.

LGA-ORD: 5x out of 15x daily will be 717
LGA-CVG: 1x out of 6x daily will be 320
LGA-DFW: 2x out of 7x daily will be 319

jplatts

Wed May 30, 2018 3:51 pm

FSDan wrote:
jplatts wrote:

This summer, LGA-ORD, LGA-CVG, and LGA-DFW will all see some mainline frequencies.

Good point, but DL could add more mainline flights to DFW from LGA since there is a lot of demand for flights to both DFW and DAL from LGA and since AS will be discontinuing DAL-LGA nonstop service this fall.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 pm

ORIGIN DEST CARRIER_NAME Load Factor PDEW (Segment not O/D) Stage Length Block Time (Min)
SEA 87.9% 8334.134247 1583.446352 210.9382068
LAX 87.8% 12976.00548 1607.142647 217.7591098
RDU 87.3% 2252.405479 867.8928571 127.2241149
JFK 86.7% 11026.74247 1509.723626 260.2385171
ATL 85.7% 87462.35616 746.8506776 119.0832168
SLC 85.6% 15455.70685 989.4411765 146.7248303
BOS 84.5% 5439.39726 1102.796407 179.3515367
MSP 84.2% 23828.48767 936.9246926 155.3799168
LGA 83.4% 7704.306849 926.031746 159.6586709
CVG 83.3% 2380.473973 979.3482143 145.6070771
DTW 83.3% 19245.16164 803.6970475 143.7482956
MEM 82.4% 1455.260274 695.3552632 93.25824672
Grand Total 85.4% 197560.4384 961.6898636 148.8956376

Load-factor/other data for DL mainline at some of its key cities (2017 total/domestic mainline only). Interesting to see SEA/LAX/JFK so high, given DL's fast growth in those markets, but I'd bet those high loads are at the expense of much weaker yields then

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 pm

jplatts wrote:
FSDan wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Good point, but DL could add more mainline flights to DFW from LGA since there is a lot of demand for flights to both DFW and DAL from LGA and since AS will be discontinuing DAL-LGA nonstop service this fall.

Unless AS dropped (at least partly) because of overcapacity? I think AA/DL/UA/WN will be happy to get a yield gain. WN is adding a DAL-LGA frequency also, so that soaks up some of the demand. I think load factors for AS/VX were poor so between existing capacity and one new WN frequency there isn't that much market left for more capacity Dallas-New York.

LGA-ORD - 15x daily, never realized it was that high!

KMCOFlyer

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:26 pm

jplatts wrote:
FSDan wrote:
jplatts wrote:

DL was planning on the first base of the C-Series being in NYC to upgauge regional flights to mainline but until DL gets them in the fall, it will still be mostly regionals from LGA to those destinations.

jplatts

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
ORIGIN DEST CARRIER_NAME Load Factor PDEW (Segment not O/D) Stage Length Block Time (Min)

Load-factor/other data for DL mainline at some of its key cities (2017 total/domestic mainline only). Interesting to see SEA/LAX/JFK so high, given DL's fast growth in those markets, but I'd bet those high loads are at the expense of much weaker yields then

MEM is no longer a DL hub or focus city, and DL's ATL, DTW, LAX, MSP, and LGA hubs are currently the only destinations that DL serves nonstop from MEM.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Why is DL BOS-SEA in F so expensive? Like $1500+ one way??

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:18 am

"Delta's Focus City Strategy Delivers Revenue Advantages"
https://seekingalpha.com/article/416777 ... ges?page=2
BOS
CVG
RDU
AUS
IND
LAS
MCO
PDX
"Delta's focus city strategy could generate 15-20% of the revenue growth Delta has said it will deliver so the strategy could give Delta a financial advantage even as it expands the breadth of its network into markets where there has been no clear market leader. Finally, Delta's diverse fleet, including the upcoming deliveries of the new Bombardier C Series will help Delta use the most cost-effective aircraft to add markets which they might not otherwise be able to serve."

gsg013

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 pm

jplatts wrote:
FSDan wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Im sure they will try to maybe add another A319 on LGA-DFW for the time being. This route will be the inauguaral route for the C-series when it comes online.

gsg013

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:37 pm

jplatts wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

MEM is no longer a DL hub or focus city, and DL's ATL, DTW, LAX, MSP, and LGA hubs are currently the only destinations that DL serves nonstop from MEM.

Maybe im being greedy as I fly in and out of MEM quite often because of the family but I would hope that DL adds nonstop to SLC someday would be good for the winter ski vacation to Utah and good for connections out west.

gsg013

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

When you think of the two cities BOS & Seattle they both have a lot of high tech jobs and bio-tech. It is one of the longest domestic flights in the continental US and only served 3x daily on 737-800 equiptment.

I looked at a random date a few weeks out Fri July 13th and see that the 2x AM flights fares are $1562 one way in F the 5 PM departure is $686.

I believe this is one of deltas more premium routes in terms of distance and premium paid for a F fare.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:06 pm

gsg013 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

When you think of the two cities BOS & Seattle they both have a lot of high tech jobs and bio-tech. It is one of the longest domestic flights in the continental US and only served 3x daily on 737-800 equiptment.

I looked at a random date a few weeks out Fri July 13th and see that the 2x AM flights fares are $1562 one way in F the 5 PM departure is $686.

I believe this is one of deltas more premium routes in terms of distance and premium paid for a F fare.

Well, JetBlue is $749 for the AM flight. So not sure why DL sets its AM flight at $1562...

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:26 pm

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta/113398-what-does-msp-look-like-year.html
From MSP CPO update:

Considering the above perspectives the following specific areas were addressed:
MD-88/MD-90 Drawdown:
• Entrenchment of the MD-88 aircraft to ATL has already begun. Therefore, by this
fall we can expect the initial drawdown of the MD88/90 category in MSP.
• The entire MD-88 fleet will be parked by the end of 2020. The MD90 fleet will likely
no longer fly to/from MSP by the end of summer of 2019 and will likely leave Delta
by 2023 (note: dates are flexible depending upon pax demand and other A/C
availability).
• As the MD88/MD90 fleets are moved out of MSP, and the category closes, the plan
is for a 1:1 increase in new B737 and A320 positions in a fairly balanced split
between the two aircraft.
• Depending upon actual pilot bids from across the system, although there will be a
1:1 increase in A320/B737 MSP positions, some of the new positions could be taken
by other based pilots wanting to bid into MSP. Actual assignments will depend upon
how AE/VD/MD preferences actually stack up from all pilots.
• Variations from the above bullet are too complicated to detail here; but all pilots
(especially all MD-88/90 pilots) should have Mandatory Displacement preferences
submitted.

What about a MSP 717 Base:
• Although there are currently a significant amount of 717 flights that could justify
opening a MSP 717 base, that decision has not been made, and does not appear
likely in the longer term.
• Expect to see increases in B737/A320 flying and an ultimate reduction in 717 flying
out of MSP in the longer term. (See Network’s upgrading strategy above.)
• Crew Resources thought strongly about opening a 717 base in MSP last year, but did
not have the training resources (simulator capacity) or Network assurance of long
term deployment available to make that happen. (As it was, recall the significant
amount of GS flying on the 717 last summer, particularly in NYC.)
• Now given Network’s projection of less 717 flying out of MSP in the future it makes
more sense to place the MD-88/90 flying on A320/B737.
• Because MSP is a highly desirable base, creating even a single 717 FO position here
will likely cause multiple training evolutions for the single position. Much like the
“waterfall effect” of a single wide-body CA retirement, as a Non-New Hire pilot
moves into MSP, that previously occupied position has to be filled; which will cause a
ripple effect as those subsequent positions are filled. (If the new MSP pilot will
comes from a position that can be filled by a new hire, then there are a minimum of
two training events. If the new MSP pilot’s replacement is not a new hire, then there
are likely more.)
• A single 717 FO position in NYC, ATL, or DTW doesn’t have the same effect and can
usually be filled by a New Hire – a single training event.
• Some pilots cite the potential shorter training footprint to move MD-88/90 pilots to
the 717, or the cost of hotels for 717 (and A330) pilots as considerations.
o Those costs are considered; but aren’t high enough to be a driver either way.

A-330 Base:
• As stated in the last AE notes, expect to see an A-330 based opened in MSP on a 365
day bid in June or July.
• The target base size will be approximately 50 CA’s and 60-70 FO’s.
• Just as a data point, approximately 30 CA’s and 40 FO’s based elsewhere are current
and qualified on the A-330 and live within 200 miles of KMSP. This is not to say they
will all bid back to MSP; but some will.

7ER Base:
• As has been communicated elsewhere, the ultimate picture of the 7ER fleet will be to
gradually retreat to the 4 corners of the country (NYC/ATL/LAX/SEA) before
eventually being replaced mid/late next decade (possibly Boeing’s NMA –Next
Midsized Aircraft?).
• Currently Crew Resources is satisfied with the size and structure of MSP 7ER staffing
so there are no plans for displacements or closing the category (see Crew Resources
perspectives above).
• If crews do bid off the 7ER they may or may not be backfilled depending upon
Network’s plan, utilization, and crew balance.
• Realize that occasionally backfills do occur in order to balance CA/FO positions
regardless if the fleet size is being flexed up or down.
• Know that no current manufactured A/C fills the niche of the 757; therefore Delta is
interested in being very involved in the development of the Boeing NMA.

C –Series
• Initial deliveries of CS-100 will be in OCT, with customer flights commencing in
January. We anticipate the CS100 bid coming as part of the larger bid in June or
July.
• Initial basing will be in NYC, with West Coast basing to follow (LAX has been
published elsewhere, but as with all things to do with basing, that may change).
• As of now there does not appear to be much (if any) flying of the A/C out of MSP;
therefore a C Series base in MSP anytime soon doesn’t appear likely.
• As the C Series starts replacing current West Coast 717 flying the initial thought was
to push the 717 to MSP; however that appears unlikely (see above).
• The C Series platform will likely ultimately replace the 717; but that is a long way off
(8-10 years perhaps).

Appears B737-900ER will move to ATL/JFK/LAX/SEA in the long term, A32x/B737-800 will concentrate in MSP/ (I assume DTW as well) while 717s will move out of MSP.
B739 will eventually be replaced by something like the Boeing NMA (797). DL planning retirements already seems a bit out of character though.

That last one was the most interesting. If CS100s are flying on the Coasts + SLC that only leaves ATL and DTW for the 717. Does this mean more upgauging in those cities from CRJ/7/9s or am I reading to much into it?

Also CS100s start passenger flights in January out of New York, MD90 will be out of MSP by the end of next summer (very quick bump for them there it seems) and out of the system by 2023. MD88 will be gone by 2020. MSP has a lot of MD90 flights at present, and with the 739 out of the picture it appears many of the longer ones will go to the A321. (assuming on the last detail)

717s have 8-10 years left at Delta, so apparently they'll be here till around 2028.

Its also interesting to note that DL has moved most E175s to its less established (NYC/LAX/SEA/BOS) cities, leaving CR9s for the interior hubs. Against this trend, which I assume has to do with offering the best product possible where DL is trying to gain new customers, is SLC, which sees numerous routes switching to OO E175s this summer from CRJ/CR7/CR9s. CR7s have been displaced from SEA by E175s so its also an interesting question where they are going.

You'll know when DL has "won" LAX/SEA/BOS/etc. when they put CR9s back in :smile:

evank516

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:40 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

MD-88s were pulled out of New York completely (LGA and JFK). In fact, I don't even see MD-90s in NYC anymore. The only T-tails you see nowadays are the 717 and the RJs. Everything else is A319s/737s and larger.

evank516

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
jplatts wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Unless AS dropped (at least partly) because of overcapacity? I think AA/DL/UA/WN will be happy to get a yield gain. WN is adding a DAL-LGA frequency also, so that soaks up some of the demand. I think load factors for AS/VX were poor so between existing capacity and one new WN frequency there isn't that much market left for more capacity Dallas-New York.

LGA-ORD - 15x daily, never realized it was that high!

It's considered part of the Delta Shuttle network so it makes sense. Mainline is relatively new on this route too, but it's about time that it happened.
jplatts wrote:

All of these are probably great CSeries Candidates to be honest. Personally, I'd love to see LGA-MCI go mainline on DL. I won't fly on a CR7 or CR9 on that long of a route, I just won't do it. LGA-RDU really should have it too considering the sizeable buildup taking place in RDU. LGA-BNA is probably also a matter of time with the giant boom going on in Nashville nowadays.

deltal1011man

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta/113398-what-does-msp-look-like-year.html
From MSP CPO update:

Considering the above perspectives the following specific areas were addressed:
MD-88/MD-90 Drawdown:
• Entrenchment of the MD-88 aircraft to ATL has already begun. Therefore, by this
fall we can expect the initial drawdown of the MD88/90 category in MSP.
• The entire MD-88 fleet will be parked by the end of 2020. The MD90 fleet will likely
no longer fly to/from MSP by the end of summer of 2019 and will likely leave Delta
by 2023 (note: dates are flexible depending upon pax demand and other A/C
availability).
• As the MD88/MD90 fleets are moved out of MSP, and the category closes, the plan
is for a 1:1 increase in new B737 and A320 positions in a fairly balanced split
between the two aircraft.
• Depending upon actual pilot bids from across the system, although there will be a
1:1 increase in A320/B737 MSP positions, some of the new positions could be taken
by other based pilots wanting to bid into MSP. Actual assignments will depend upon
how AE/VD/MD preferences actually stack up from all pilots.
• Variations from the above bullet are too complicated to detail here; but all pilots
(especially all MD-88/90 pilots) should have Mandatory Displacement preferences
submitted.

What about a MSP 717 Base:
• Although there are currently a significant amount of 717 flights that could justify
opening a MSP 717 base, that decision has not been made, and does not appear
likely in the longer term.
• Expect to see increases in B737/A320 flying and an ultimate reduction in 717 flying
out of MSP in the longer term. (See Network’s upgrading strategy above.)
• Crew Resources thought strongly about opening a 717 base in MSP last year, but did
not have the training resources (simulator capacity) or Network assurance of long
term deployment available to make that happen. (As it was, recall the significant
amount of GS flying on the 717 last summer, particularly in NYC.)
• Now given Network’s projection of less 717 flying out of MSP in the future it makes
more sense to place the MD-88/90 flying on A320/B737.
• Because MSP is a highly desirable base, creating even a single 717 FO position here
will likely cause multiple training evolutions for the single position. Much like the
“waterfall effect” of a single wide-body CA retirement, as a Non-New Hire pilot
moves into MSP, that previously occupied position has to be filled; which will cause a
ripple effect as those subsequent positions are filled. (If the new MSP pilot will
comes from a position that can be filled by a new hire, then there are a minimum of
two training events. If the new MSP pilot’s replacement is not a new hire, then there
are likely more.)
• A single 717 FO position in NYC, ATL, or DTW doesn’t have the same effect and can
usually be filled by a New Hire – a single training event.
• Some pilots cite the potential shorter training footprint to move MD-88/90 pilots to
the 717, or the cost of hotels for 717 (and A330) pilots as considerations.
o Those costs are considered; but aren’t high enough to be a driver either way.

A-330 Base:
• As stated in the last AE notes, expect to see an A-330 based opened in MSP on a 365
day bid in June or July.
• The target base size will be approximately 50 CA’s and 60-70 FO’s.
• Just as a data point, approximately 30 CA’s and 40 FO’s based elsewhere are current
and qualified on the A-330 and live within 200 miles of KMSP. This is not to say they
will all bid back to MSP; but some will.

7ER Base:
• As has been communicated elsewhere, the ultimate picture of the 7ER fleet will be to
gradually retreat to the 4 corners of the country (NYC/ATL/LAX/SEA) before
eventually being replaced mid/late next decade (possibly Boeing’s NMA –Next
Midsized Aircraft?).
• Currently Crew Resources is satisfied with the size and structure of MSP 7ER staffing
so there are no plans for displacements or closing the category (see Crew Resources
perspectives above).
• If crews do bid off the 7ER they may or may not be backfilled depending upon
Network’s plan, utilization, and crew balance.
• Realize that occasionally backfills do occur in order to balance CA/FO positions
regardless if the fleet size is being flexed up or down.
• Know that no current manufactured A/C fills the niche of the 757; therefore Delta is
interested in being very involved in the development of the Boeing NMA.

C –Series
• Initial deliveries of CS-100 will be in OCT, with customer flights commencing in
January. We anticipate the CS100 bid coming as part of the larger bid in June or
July.
• Initial basing will be in NYC, with West Coast basing to follow (LAX has been
published elsewhere, but as with all things to do with basing, that may change).
• As of now there does not appear to be much (if any) flying of the A/C out of MSP;
therefore a C Series base in MSP anytime soon doesn’t appear likely.
• As the C Series starts replacing current West Coast 717 flying the initial thought was
to push the 717 to MSP; however that appears unlikely (see above).
• The C Series platform will likely ultimately replace the 717; but that is a long way off
(8-10 years perhaps).

Appears B737-900ER will move to ATL/JFK/LAX/SEA in the long term, A32x/B737-800 will concentrate in MSP/ (I assume DTW as well) while 717s will move out of MSP.
B739 will eventually be replaced by something like the Boeing NMA (797). DL planning retirements already seems a bit out of character though.

That last one was the most interesting. If CS100s are flying on the Coasts + SLC that only leaves ATL and DTW for the 717. Does this mean more upgauging in those cities from CRJ/7/9s or am I reading to much into it?

Also CS100s start passenger flights in January out of New York, MD90 will be out of MSP by the end of next summer (very quick bump for them there it seems) and out of the system by 2023. MD88 will be gone by 2020. MSP has a lot of MD90 flights at present, and with the 739 out of the picture it appears many of the longer ones will go to the A321. (assuming on the last detail)

717s have 8-10 years left at Delta, so apparently they'll be here till around 2028.

Its also interesting to note that DL has moved most E175s to its less established (NYC/LAX/SEA/BOS) cities, leaving CR9s for the interior hubs. Against this trend, which I assume has to do with offering the best product possible where DL is trying to gain new customers, is SLC, which sees numerous routes switching to OO E175s this summer from CRJ/CR7/CR9s. CR7s have been displaced from SEA by E175s so its also an interesting question where they are going.

You'll know when DL has "won" LAX/SEA/BOS/etc. when they put CR9s back in :smile:

You a misunderstanding what that pilot is saying because of the way Delta codes it airplanes with the pilots

7ER is the 757-200/757-300/767-300/767-300ER
765 is the 767-400ER
73N is the 737-700/737-800/737-900ER

The 7ER is being pulled back to ATL/NYC/SEA/LAX
DTW/MSP and some SLC will be back filled over time with more 73N, 320, 330 spots

But remember this is pilot staffing not necessarily actual flights. Also MSP will still see plenty 739 flights

evank516

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:59 pm

By the way, how are the 717s rotating out of SLC now? Do they have a base in SLC or are they coming from somewhere else?

deltal1011man

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:14 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
evank516 wrote:
By the way, how are the 717s rotating out of SLC now? Do they have a base in SLC or are they coming from somewhere else?

Covered by ATL/DTW/LAX and NYC 717(if NYC 717 is still there, can't remember if it closed with NYC88 or not)

SLC currently has 7ER,73N and 320 pilot bases

Themotionman

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:08 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
klm617 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

According to Wikipedia... DTW-ANC is on its way [Yes I know I'm quoting Wikipedia].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Steve ... al_Airport

Apologies if it's been discussed.

flymco753

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Themotionman wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
klm617 wrote:

According to Wikipedia... DTW-ANC is on its way [Yes I know I'm quoting Wikipedia].

I removed it. Not happening

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Themotionman wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Same article showed LAX/MDW-ANC starting December 5 on WN, must be their wish-list.
deltal1011man wrote:
You a misunderstanding what that pilot is saying because of the way Delta codes it airplanes with the pilots 7ER is the 757-200/757-300/767-300/767-300ER765 is the 767-400ER 73N is the 737-700/737-800/737-900ER

Sorry, didn't realize that, makes more sense that "7er" moves to the coasts that B737-900ER. I could never imagine JFK/LAX/SEA moving to mostly B739. Weird coding.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 pm

evank516 wrote:

717s can come in DTW-MCI-SLC from the east or from the west through PDX, SAN, SJC, DEN, etc.

N829DN routed SLC-DEN-SEA-SFO-SEA-SFO on Wednesday, SFO-SEA-LAS-SEA-LAS today, and flies SLC-MCI-SLC-LAS-LAX-PDX tomorrow, illustrating one possible path

Interesting that it wasn't used for a RON out of SLC Tuesday night. Is it just me or is there still slack in the schedule to for example fly SLC-PSP-SLC with that 717 replacing a CR7/9 on the RON operation?

Also how does DL work "split" 8pm and 10pm banks, particularly out of SLC and DTW? Either they break connections if a flight comes in at 9pm (missing 8pm connections) or they have three hour connections for some who get in at 7pm. If it works I think it would be great for UA out of DEN (to help with gate congestion.
EDIT: Looked at the schedules: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ and they have SAN-SLC-SMF routings (sort of turnaround flights) as well as three hour connections, for example.
Still interests me how they (anyone) can make banks work.

deltal1011man

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:03 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Themotionman wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Same article showed LAX/MDW-ANC starting December 5 on WN, must be their wish-list.
deltal1011man wrote:
You a misunderstanding what that pilot is saying because of the way Delta codes it airplanes with the pilots 7ER is the 757-200/757-300/767-300/767-300ER765 is the 767-400ER 73N is the 737-700/737-800/737-900ER

Sorry, didn't realize that, makes more sense that "7er" moves to the coasts that B737-900ER. I could never imagine JFK/LAX/SEA moving to mostly B739. Weird coding.

It is due to how legacy Delta use to do pilot bases.
For example, delta use to have two categories of 752/763/763ER pilots
767 was domestic flights mostly and some short haul international flying, governed by longitude and latitude
7ER was the international side of the house.
Also had 762s on property which, IIRC was separated out as well.

I can't remember if the 764 was ever spilt into 764/765 of if its always been 765

M88 was only M88 flying
M90 was only M90 flying
M89 was M88/M90 flying and then everything went back to the M88 code after all the bases where converted to dual operations

73N is for 737NG. That code was started back when delta had 732, 733, and 733(G)s (glass cockpit) and had a few different bases for those.

Post merger they simplified down to 717.,73N,7ER, 765, 744, 777, M88, 320, 330, 350 and DC9

It was quite confusing what was where.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:32 am

For DTW, Premerger NW used to operate a very large 9pm outbound departure bank. During peak summer they’d operate a small 10:30pm bank to short hop destinations in Michigan or just over the central time zone.

Post merger DL split operations into a very large 8pm departure bank and a smaller 10pm departure bank. There is a large inbound arrival bank between 6:30-7pm that feeds the 8pm departure bank. There is a smaller more O&D focused arrival bank around 9pm that also feeds the 10pm departure bank.

The large markets may have both a 8pm and 10pm departure but more of the smaller markets the last flight out is around 8pm.

It helped out a lot with aircraft utilization to split the bank.

That said it’s always interesting to leave the house after 8pm for a 10:30 departure.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Nice to see how DL is cutting underperforming capacity by launching RDU-ORD!

Underreported is that while DL remains far behind AS in local SEA market-share, it is gaining ground with higher fares in markets like LAX, ORD, BOS, SNA, SMF, LAS, BOI, BNA, and others. SEA-ANC is horrible though with only 32 PDEW of local traffic in Q1 (well it is winter) compared to 350+ from AS.
More data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

jbs2886

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Nice to see how DL is cutting underperforming capacity by launching RDU-ORD!

Underreported is that while DL remains far behind AS in local SEA market-share, it is gaining ground with higher fares in markets like LAX, ORD, BOS, SNA, SMF, LAS, BOI, BNA, and others. SEA-ANC is horrible though with only 32 PDEW of local traffic in Q1 (well it is winter) compared to 350+ from AS.
More data: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks for sharing those stats. Interesting!

Also, DL can still launch routes and cut underperforming capacity. They aren't mutually exclusive.

jplatts

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:01 pm

The 5 largest markets in the contiguous U.S. that aren't served nonstop from MSP are PVD, BHM, GSP, FAT, and ELP. DL does have opportunities to add nonstop service to these 5 destinations from MSP, and all 5 of these destinations are within the range of RJ's from MSP.

Will DL ever add MSP-PVD, MSP-BHM, MSP-GSP, MSP-FAT, and/or MSP-ELP nonstop service?

MIflyer12

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:10 pm

jplatts wrote:
The 5 largest markets in the contiguous U.S. that aren't served nonstop from MSP are PVD, BHM, GSP, FAT, and ELP. DL does have opportunities to add nonstop service to these 5 destinations from MSP, and all 5 of these destinations are within the range of RJ's from MSP.

What are the PDEWs on those markets? Five largest doesn't mean much if it's still too small. MSP-ELP?!

flyfresno

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

What are the PDEWs on those markets? Five largest doesn't mean much if it's still too small. MSP-ELP?!

MSP is the second or third highest O&D not served at all from FAT (if you assume ORD is being served seasonally), mostly because of the large SE Asian populations in each metro. The E175 is definitely in range, but I don’t think the premium traffic is there. I feel like SY is a better possibility for this route...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos