flight152

Re: United Airlines Network Thread 2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:57 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
That's why UA should get the A321 and CR9 to aid in upgauging routes. The CS100, E190, or more A319s would be good to, but not sure of their intent in that regard.

My numbers for the present were from their December 2017 Cargo timetable, and are probably wrong on two counts, I had to average 737-700/800 seat counts as they were not delineated separately, while some flights, early morning BUF-EWR for example did not show up at all in the timetable. Do any of you know of a better way of approximating capacity or viewing future schedules? FairMarketShare.com was discontinued by CAPA, and with airline pdf timetables also discontinued, its very hard to see future schedules nowadays.

PHX probably has the highest mainline service percentage of any of AAs hubs, I really don't know exact numbers.

Why the CR9? It’s clear UA has chosen the 175 over over it and they are currently at the limit for large RJ’s.

toxtethogrady

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:59 pm

splitterz wrote:
How is United hampered or not by its like of 600+ flights hubs? ORD and IAH are in the 500's. They don't have fortress hubs like ATL, DFW, or CLT.

United is starting to address that, and the markets are not happy. The forecasts of 4-6% domestic growth per year from 2018 through 2020 appear to be designed to address that lack of competitiveness (which may have cost Houston its shot at the Amazon HQ2), and Munoz said Chicago, Houston and Denver will be the focus of those efforts. If it happens, it will be good for Houston, which will also benefit from $64 a barrel oil.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 pm

TYSflyer wrote:

I am quite surprised United doesn't serve IAD-AVL. Further, the only service to the DC area from AVL is on G4, right? Has United ever offered IAD-AVL? Seems it would be an easy add especially given the growth recently at AVL and united has been adding service at IAD.

No, UA has never served IAD-AVL, and it would be a good market opportunity for them since AA doesn't fly DCA-AVL. UA has continued to grow over the last couple of years at AVL, with the addition of year-round mainline to EWR (to compete with G4) and the addition of a fourth daily ORD-AVL in peak season.

USPIT10L

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 am

UAX did fly IADAVL in the summer of 1991. I can't remember the UAX operator, as the timetable has disappeared from my possession, but it was in the June 1, 1991 UA system timetable.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 am

USPIT10L wrote:
UAX did fly IADAVL in the summer of 1991. I can't remember the UAX operator, as the timetable has disappeared from my possession, but it was in the June 1, 1991 UA system timetable.

Good memory. It was Atlantic Coast. It may have been operated one time as a tag-on to IAD-GSP.

USPIT10L

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:46 am

Everybody was all over the Carolinas at that time, even AA with the RDU and BNA hubs, which are threads to themselves. Seems like UAX was there from 1990 to 1992, IINM.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:57 am

Are you worried about UAs 0% profit margin guidance for Q1 2018?
Capacity growth for UA always seems to be a big gamble.
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA --- Next IND-DEN UA CR7
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

CHI2DFW

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm

UA has 75 gates at ORD. If they could do 10 turns per gate your at 750 flights, but that’s not realistic due to T7 gate usage and upgauging cutting RJ gates. Of course, some gates could get more usage.

Should be interesting!

VC10er

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm

When (if it hasn’t already) is United flying to Tahiti? I’ve tried on United.com to find the flight to PPT all throughout this year, flexible dates in case it wasn’t daily...from EWR...and all I get is a box on my screen after searching EWR-PPT that says “cannot find suitable flights” or something to that effect?
Thanks
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

LAXintl

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:41 pm

VC10er wrote:
When (if it hasn’t already) is United flying to Tahiti? I’ve tried on United.com to find the flight to PPT all throughout this year, flexible dates in case it wasn’t daily...from EWR...and all I get is a box on my screen after searching EWR-PPT that says “cannot find suitable flights” or something to that effect?
Thanks

PPT starts - Oct 30, 2018

There is thread on the topic where you posted already in...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1380941
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

springtx

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:12 pm

Nov 4th 2018

Depart:
2:45 p.m.
San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)
Arrive:
9:25 p.m.
Papeete, PF (PPT)
Travel Time:
9 hr 40 mn

Distance
4,188 m
Flight: UA115
Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner

CIDFlyer

Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 pm

I wonder if they would try CID-IAH again? It lasted for a couple years from 2011-2013, during a down time in the economy and flying in general. Perhaps a 1x CR7 would work this time around? IAH to small midwest markets hasnt had too much success when they tried to emulate AA/DFW which does really well (but that could also be because DFW is a superhub of almost 800 flights and its better located geographically) , but they did recently start SGF and OMA and DSM have been around for a long time. I could see them try MSN too.

jayunited

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 pm

United management for the past year has been talking about wanting to grow DEN in terms of both O&D and connecting traffic. However one major problem I see with UA's plan is the lack of international flights on UA metal from DEN. I know later this year UA is adding seasonal service between DEN and LHR but going forward lets say from 2019/20 and onward will UA add more international destinations from DEN?

I'm also wonder are there any zone 1 U.S. - China frequencies still available to U.S. carriers? If so could a 789 take off in the summer with a full load on a route like DEN-PVG or DEN-PEK? Although HKG is not included in the zone 1 frequencies if UA is able to build up enough traffic through O&D and connecting traffic could a 789 or A359 operate DEN-HKG on a hot summer day with a full load of passengers?

ShinyAndChrome

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:53 pm

jayunited wrote:
I'm also wonder are there any zone 1 U.S. - China frequencies still available to U.S. carriers?

There aren’t currently. UA would need to use one of their existing frequencies.

jayunited

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:07 am

ShinyAndChrome wrote:

With UA canceling GUM-PVG was that route utilizing a zone 1 frequency or did UA utilize some type of exemption to operate the twice weekly flight?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just curios as to what hurdles UA would face if in the future UA wanted to add service because there was sufficient demand for nonstop travel between DEN-PVG/PEK/HKG.

ShinyAndChrome

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:27 am

jayunited wrote:
ShinyAndChrome wrote:

With UA canceling GUM-PVG was that route utilizing a zone 1 frequency or did UA utilize some type of exemption to operate the twice weekly flight?
Sorry for all the questions I'm just curios as to what hurdles UA would face if in the future UA wanted to add service because there was sufficient demand for nonstop travel between DEN-PVG/PEK/HKG.

That’s actually a good point. I hadn’t heard of the GUM-PVG cancellation. That would definitely free up a frequency for UA to reuse, though I’m not sure if GUM was daily.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:14 am

jayunited wrote:
United management for the past year has been talking about wanting to grow DEN in terms of both O&D and connecting traffic. However one major problem I see with UA's plan is the lack of international flights on UA metal from DEN. I know later this year UA is adding seasonal service between DEN and LHR but going forward lets say from 2019/20 and onward will UA add more international destinations from DEN?

I'm also wonder are there any zone 1 U.S. - China frequencies still available to U.S. carriers? If so could a 789 take off in the summer with a full load on a route like DEN-PVG or DEN-PEK? Although HKG is not included in the zone 1 frequencies if UA is able to build up enough traffic through O&D and connecting traffic could a 789 or A359 operate DEN-HKG on a hot summer day with a full load of passengers?

DEN's future focus, especially with Scott Kirby from AA now at United will be building it into a domestic connecting powerhouse, similiar to CLT with lots of connecting traffic and a domestic short to medium haul focus. It probably won't be anywhere near CLT in scale, but DEN along with IAH and ORD are now UA's main focus in what is now, compared with the work of previous management, a much more aggresive strategy. I've heard it described with a football ananlogy, UA is defending its turf now, focused on the touchdown and gaining yards.

VC10er

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 am

LAXintl wrote:
VC10er wrote:
Thanks

PPT starts - Oct 30, 2018

There is thread on the topic where you posted already in...

You’re right, and I remember exactly what I said in that post “you will find me in seat 1k”. But since I was already on this thread and online “trying” to book the flight in 1k as I promised I decided to ask again.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1380941

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:27 pm

I've been looking a bit at UA's DEN schedule for March, and it looks like they are starting to build a new ~10:30 PM westbound departure bank.
I think its a great decision to boost utilization, and while I only secondary cities such as GEG, RNO, ONT, SBA, and PSP so far as newly having these late departures, its a technique, like that which DL uses at SLC and DTW and which I had hoped UA would emulate.

COS-ORD gets a RON E175 in April,, replacing a CRJ200 on the early morning ex-COS departure.

jayunited

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:50 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
DEN's future focus, especially with Scott Kirby from AA now at United will be building it into a domestic connecting powerhouse, similiar to CLT with lots of connecting traffic and a domestic short to medium haul focus. It probably won't be anywhere near CLT in scale, but DEN along with IAH and ORD are now UA's main focus in what is now, compared with the work of previous management, a much more aggresive strategy. I've heard it described with a football ananlogy, UA is defending its turf now, focused on the touchdown and gaining yards.

I understand the strategy which is why I asked the question focusing on 2019/20 and onward will UA add more international destinations from DEN. I know the focus right now from DEN is to build up UA's domestic network if UA is able to accomplish this will UA add more international destination across the Atlantic and/or Pacific?
Both ORD and IAH are well connected internationally across the Pacific and the Atlantic, DEN on UA metal only has NRT and starting later this year seasonal service to LHR. So I was think if the domestic strategy is successful at DEN will we see more international flights to a few major European and Asian destinations to better connect DEN to the world on UA metal?
My second question dealt specifically with the major Asian destinations like PEK/PVG/HKG and if the 789 or A359 are capable of operating these routes with a full passenger load during the dog days of summer?

LAXdude1023

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:02 pm

jayunited wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

I understand the strategy which is why I asked the question focusing on 2019/20 and onward will UA add more international destinations from DEN. I know the focus right now from DEN is to build up UA's domestic network if UA is able to accomplish this will UA add more international destination across the Atlantic and/or Pacific?
Both ORD and IAH are well connected internationally across the Pacific and the Atlantic, DEN on UA metal only has NRT and starting later this year seasonal service to LHR. So I was think if the domestic strategy is successful at DEN will we see more international flights to a few major European and Asian destinations to better connect DEN to the world on UA metal?
My second question dealt specifically with the major Asian destinations like PEK/PVG/HKG and if the 789 or A359 are capable of operating these routes with a full passenger load during the dog days of summer?

Like DEN, IAH only has NRT over the pacific. It’s hard to imagine a route like PVG being placed at DEN over IAH because IAH is so much larger a local market to China. That said there aren’t any free frequencies right now so it’s moot.
Next flight: IAH-IST-TXL-IST-IAH on TK in J

atrude777

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:14 pm

https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/01/27/uni ... additions/

"United Airlines has wasted no time in utilizing its newest widebody additions: the Boeing 777-300ER and the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. For the Chicago-based carrier, the two aircraft are the largest in its fleet with some of the longest ranges among current aircraft offerings. United’s most recent additions to its route network show that the airline is serious about using the new aircraft to their limits, flying them on some of the longest routes in the world.

Just this year, United started flying two of the longest routes in the airline’s route network. First, United started service between Los Angeles and Singapore using the airline’s Boeing 787-9 aircraft. The ultra-long-haul flight is a first for United, with flight times just under 18 hours. United didn’t stop there, however. The airline also started flights from Houston to Sydney, Australia, a 17-hour and 30-minute trip."

Talks about expansion of more long haul flights, and utilizing the 77W and Boeing 787 aircraft. Interesting read, hoping to see more international flights announced with these planes coming in.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Themotionman

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:50 pm

If United was to add a destination in south-east Asia. What are everyone's bets on what city would be first?

airlineaddict

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Themotionman wrote:
If United was to add a destination in south-east Asia. What are everyone's bets on what city would be first?

That’s tough... NH is a great connecting partner via NRT to SE Asia. Would UA rather use the aircraft on LAX - HKG or SFO - MEL?

ual763

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Themotionman wrote:

I could possibly see SFO-Manila, SFO-Bangkok. My pipe dream though, would be Kuala Lumpur. I believe this is even longer than Singapore though, so I doubt it would happen. But realistically, the demand isn't quite there yet for direct flights between these cities.
From flying to the NOTAM office

LAXdude1023

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 pm

And we lost LAX-TUS and IAH-BDL..,

jayunited

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Like DEN, IAH only has NRT over the pacific. It’s hard to imagine a route like PVG being placed at DEN over IAH because IAH is so much larger a local market to China. That said there aren’t any free frequencies right now so it’s moot.

I understand it is a moot point now but once again I'm talking about the future, think more long term.
If we focus on the future we see that both Shanghai and Beijing will be opening new facilities in 2019. PVG will open a new satellite terminal and I believe construction has begun on a new runway, while Beijing should be opening a brand new airport in 2019 if construction is still on schedule. With that in mind is it really that far fetched to think the U.S. and Chinese governments will not enter into negotiations to increase the number of zone 1 slots available to both U.S. and Chinese carriers? Remember the fight DL put up to get a zone 1 slot that was eventually awarded to AA for LAX-PEK? I think once these facilities are open the governments of both countries may come to an agreement that will increase the number of slot available to U.S. carriers. If our governments do renegotiate a deal that increases the number of zone 1 slots I strongly believe UA would asking for additional slots to operate flights from either IAH or DEN or perhaps both airports, which is why my original question was phrase with a given time line of 2019/20 forward.
I'm not trying to be combative or difficult and I hope my response is not coming across that way, I'm just asking what could be in the realm of possibilities internationally for UA at DEN if our domestic strategy works.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:38 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
And we lost LAX-TUS and IAH-BDL..,

I would have thought IAH-BDL would do well after the hurricane with insurance industry traffic.
Guess not.

An increase in BDL-DEN or BDL-ORD might be a possibility though. Reducing risk on the BDL end by shortening flight length on flights dedicated solely to BDL.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:42 am

jayunited wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I understand it is a moot point now but once again I'm talking about the future, think more long term.
If we focus on the future we see that both Shanghai and Beijing will be opening new facilities in 2019. PVG will open a new satellite terminal and I believe construction has begun on a new runway, while Beijing should be opening a brand new airport in 2019 if construction is still on schedule. With that in mind is it really that far fetched to think the U.S. and Chinese governments will not enter into negotiations to increase the number of zone 1 slots available to both U.S. and Chinese carriers? Remember the fight DL put up to get a zone 1 slot that was eventually awarded to AA for LAX-PEK? I think once these facilities are open the governments of both countries may come to an agreement that will increase the number of slot available to U.S. carriers. If our governments do renegotiate a deal that increases the number of zone 1 slots I strongly believe UA would asking for additional slots to operate flights from either IAH or DEN or perhaps both airports, which is why my original question was phrase with a given time line of 2019/20 forward.
I'm not trying to be combative or difficult and I hope my response is not coming across that way, I'm just asking what could be in the realm of possibilities internationally for UA at DEN if our domestic strategy works.

After SFO-PEK goes 2x daily on UA, I'd expect PEK, but not 100% sure it will happen on UA. Maybe Air China or Hainan...2024...?
DEN to SFO is as CLT to MIA for AA in terms of a domestic connecting hub compared to an international gateway.

klwright69

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:37 am

Analyst questions UA's moves from the Motley Fool investing services.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/ ... rowth.aspx

Rdh3e

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:07 am

SumChristianus wrote:
I've been looking a bit at UA's DEN schedule for March, and it looks like they are starting to build a new ~10:30 PM westbound departure bank.
I think its a great decision to boost utilization, and while I only secondary cities such as GEG, RNO, ONT, SBA, and PSP so far as newly having these late departures, its a technique, like that which DL uses at SLC and DTW and which I had hoped UA would emulate.

COS-ORD gets a RON E175 in April,, replacing a CRJ200 on the early morning ex-COS departure.

That 10pm bank has been there for a number of years, looks like it's just shifting slightly later.
Last edited by Rdh3e on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

SFOtoORD

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 am

klwright69 wrote:

There may be substance to the argument, but that entire site is clickbait at this point.

Rdh3e

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:14 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
klwright69 wrote:

There may be substance to the argument, but that entire site is clickbait at this point.

Yes, Motley Fool is not an "investing service".

Also, that writer / blogger has:

"Stocks I Own:
AAPL, ALK, CMG, DAL, ERJ, GE, GM, GT, HA, JBLU, JCP, JWN, KSS, M, SAVE, TJX, UA, VLRS, Short Feb 2018 $160 calls on AAPL, Long Jan 2019 $10 calls on JBLU, Long Jan 2019 $50 calls on ROST, Short Jan 2019 $90 calls on ROST,"

Notably lots of non-UA airlines. (The UA in stock terms is Under Armour).

LAXdude1023

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:24 am

Rdh3e wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
klwright69 wrote:

Yes, Motley Fool is not an "investing service".

Also, that writer / blogger has:

"Stocks I Own:
AAPL, ALK, CMG, DAL, ERJ, GE, GM, GT, HA, JBLU, JCP, JWN, KSS, M, SAVE, TJX, UA, VLRS, Short Feb 2018 $160 calls on AAPL, Long Jan 2019 $10 calls on JBLU, Long Jan 2019 $50 calls on ROST, Short Jan 2019 $90 calls on ROST,"

Notably lots of non-UA airlines. (The UA in stock terms is Under Armour).

He’s trying to convince people to invest in stocks he owns to make the price go up.

ual763

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:06 am

I made the mistake of reading an article on that guy's website before. As usual, he bashed United and other airlines, and had absolutely no clue what he was talking about. Like the guy above me posted, he's just trying to drive up the price of the stocks HE owns.

airlineaddict

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am

klwright69 wrote:

The author, Adam Levine-Weinberg, has never written a positive article on United. Moreover, he's a DL shareholder.

"Adam Levine-Weinberg owns shares of Delta Air Lines. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy."

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 pm

Scott Kirby's route strategy discussed further in this Bloomberg story this morning: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-airfares.

"Scott Kirby has a very specific view about how the three U.S. hub-and-spoke airlines work best, having managed two of them. In his current job as president of United Continental Holdings Inc., Kirby’s role is to oversee a major overhaul of how the carrier operates, beginning with a broad restructuring of its three domestic-focused hubs in Chicago, Denver and Houston.

By United’s math, this trio has profit margins that are 10 percent below the inland domestic hubs operated by American Airlines Group Inc. and Delta Air Lines Inc. That gap is one big reason for United’s third-place finish among the three in recent years."

blockski

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:10 pm

jayunited wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

New airports in China aren't particularly relevant - they're not the constraint, it's the air service bilateral between the US and China. Now, greater access to slots at the biggest Chinese airports would no doubt be an absolute prerequisite for the US to agree to any kind of open skies with China (and the airports enable that), actually reaching the agreement is going to be a lot more complicated.

The other big question would be what happens after Open Skies - that opens the door to Joint Ventures. Would UA and Air China form one? What does that do with the UA-NH JV? Denver's existing flight to Tokyo is absolutely aided by the UA-NH Joint Venture - O&D alone likely isn't enough, and I would imagine the same is true of China in the near future.

So, yeah - there are lots of potential possibilities, but that's all pure speculation at this point.

VC10er

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 am

I get Scott Kirby’s interest in Houston, Chicago and Denver’s domestic build-up, selfishly, what are his plans for EWR?

Themotionman

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:52 am

I thought I'd share the results of the United Airlines network survey that all you wonderful people did for me...

What hub should United Airlines grow fastest at?
LAX - 22.9%
DEN - 20%
IAD - 20%
EWR - 11.4%
ORD - 11.4%

Which of the US big 3 airlines has the best overall domestic route network?
Delta - 35.9%
American - 23.1%
United - 41%

This surprises me to an extent. I would have said that AA have a better domestic route network that UA.

Which of the US big 3 airlines has the best overall Transatlantic network?
Delta - 51.4%
American - 10.8%
United - 37.8%

Which of the US big 3 airlines has the best overall Transpacific route network?
Delta - 12.8%
American - 2.6%
United - 84.6%

This question proves that 2.6% of people on this forum are insane... :hypnotized: :lol:

Which US airline hub do you think is best overall for serving as a transpacific gateway?
United @ SFO - 71.8%
Followed by
United @ LAX
American @ LAX
Delta @ SEA
Delta @ LAX

Which US airline hub do you think is best overall for serving as a transatlantic gateway?
United @ EWR
Delta @ JFK
United @ IAD
I'm surprised more people said UA @ IAD than AA @ PHL.

What should be United Airlines' next new destination in Asia?

Cities that came up more than once were...
BKK
MNL
SGN
KLL

What should be United Airlines' next new destination in Europe?
NCE
PRG
BUD
SVO
WAW

If United Airlines were to resume flying to Africa, what should their first route be?
Routes that came up more than once...
IAH-LOS
EWR-LOS
IAH-JNB
EWR-JNB
EWR-ADD

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to complete my survey for my essay! Interesting to know everyone's thoughts on some of these answers...

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Themotionman wrote:
I thought I'd share the results of the United Airlines network survey that all you wonderful people did for me...

What hub should United Airlines grow fastest at?
LAX - 22.9%
DEN - 20%
IAD - 20%
EWR - 11.4%
ORD - 11.4%

Delta - 35.9%
American - 23.1%
United - 41%

This surprises me to an extent. I would have said that AA have a better domestic route network that UA.

Delta - 51.4%
American - 10.8%
United - 37.8%

Which of the US big 3 airlines has the best overall Transpacific route network?
Delta - 12.8%
American - 2.6%
United - 84.6%

This question proves that 2.6% of people on this forum are insane... :hypnotized: :lol:

Which US airline hub do you think is best overall for serving as a transpacific gateway?
United @ SFO - 71.8%
Followed by
United @ LAX
American @ LAX
Delta @ SEA
Delta @ LAX

Which US airline hub do you think is best overall for serving as a transatlantic gateway?
United @ EWR
Delta @ JFK
United @ IAD
I'm surprised more people said UA @ IAD than AA @ PHL.

What should be United Airlines' next new destination in Asia?

BKK
MNL
SGN
KLL

What should be United Airlines' next new destination in Europe?
NCE
PRG
BUD
SVO
WAW

If United Airlines were to resume flying to Africa, what should their first route be?
Routes that came up more than once...
IAH-LOS
EWR-LOS
IAH-JNB
EWR-JNB
EWR-ADD

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to complete my survey for my essay! Interesting to know everyone's thoughts on some of these answers...

UA fans may have skewed your research. I think UA has good domestic potential, but fans may believe they UA is already in the lead. American at LAXis most definitley a larger gateway than Umited at LAX.

Rdh3e

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
American at LAXis most definitley a larger gateway than Umited at LAX.

It's not really much of a gateway for either carrier though as they're both more focused on local traffic. AA has service to 6 cities TPAC (7 airports - HND/NRT). UA has service to 5 cities TPAC.

Compare that to UA @ SFO with 11 destinations (12 airports - also not counting TLV which many I'm sure will say "is in Asia")

NZ321

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:46 pm

I think UA starting PPT in low season (rainy season in PPT) is interesting timing. Will be curious to see how this goes. Great destination.
Plane mad!

VC10er

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Even for a United lover, we have all been reading many threads about United’s need for domestic growth- the aircraft they have acquired to bump up their domestic routes. I for one am thrilled about the used Airbuses, new 737-MAX 9/10 and E175s coming. The more nonstops, the more connections to smaller cites and towns is great.
I think United is smart to try and “own” places: Hawaii, Skiing and Micronesia etc. I’d love to see them do more of that, especially in Eastern Europe and South America

ual763

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Themotionman wrote:

Delta - 35.9%
American - 23.1%
United - 41%

Delta - 51.4%
American - 10.8%
United - 37.8%

Thanks for sharing. I would definitely say that these two should be switched. Like others have said, I think some of us UA fans may have skewed the results. But, I personally think that DAL is better in the USA, and UAL is better Trans-Atlantic. I think a lot of people are making the assumption that Delta has a larger Trans-Atlantic network just based on their JFK hub compared to UALs EWR hub. We have to keep in mind the Trans-Atlantic routes from all of their respective hubs. Outside of JFK & ATL, Delta isn't nearly as strong. They do however, dominate domestically in the US.

jetblastdubai

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
It's not really much of a gateway for either carrier though as they're both more focused on local traffic. AA has service to 6 cities TPAC (7 airports - HND/NRT). UA has service to 5 cities TPAC.

Keep in mind that UA is rumored to be announcing a new/re-newed route out of LAX in the future (HKG or AKL??)
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

klwright69

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:20 am

Everything that Adam Levine Weinberg says about UA is always from a negative slant.
Every article is about how UA fails at everything. His favourite fall back is that UA can't match what AA has in DFW and DL has in ATL. Since UA's hubs are so small (in his words), they will never measure up. He's even said It's a "no brainer" for UA to drop hubs in LAX and IAD.
I know many people that took the Fool's investing advice seriously, even paying for premium content.

VC10er

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:14 am

klwright69 wrote:
Everything that Adam Levine Weinberg says about UA is always from a negative slant.
Every article is about how UA fails at everything. His favourite fall back is that UA can't match what AA has in DFW and DL has in ATL. Since UA's hubs are so small (in his words), they will never measure up. He's even said It's a "no brainer" for UA to drop hubs in LAX and IAD.
I know many people that took the Fool's investing advice seriously, even paying for premium content.

Motley fooled me a few years back but I have since realized NOBODY truly knows. I have a new Personal Financial Manager...I’ll see how that goes. My last one would not let me buy $2000 worth of UA stock the day they emerged from Ch 11. I was fine taking the gamble with just $2k. He refused and said “United will liquidate and be gone soon”- I was right, he was wrong, and if I had bought $2k worth of shares at the starting price I’d be a few hundred thousand bucks ahead today.

Back to topic: I don’t understand how UA is taking all these new narrow bodies unless they know exactly how they will be deployed. “Chicken or egg” what came first? Opportunity re: routes and slots then aircraft, or aircraft then routes and slots etc? Please pardon if I just revealed what an amateur I am!

jayunited

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm

I'm not sure if this deserves its own individual thread so I decided to post it to UA's network thread.

I just found out that early this week UA has begun conducting exercises with the FAA for ETOPS 240 certification. Although the 789 and 77W have been certified by the FAA for up to 330 minutes each air carrier has to be certified as well. According to the internal memo UA is still in the early stages and the process to receive ETOPS 240 certification will take time. However; if UA receives certification it will help us better optimize many routes in our long haul and especially our ultra long haul network. One example that was given was IAH-SYD, today because UA does not have ETOPS 240 certification UA has to proactively block up to 50 seats on this route. If and/or when UA receives certification we would only have to block a maximum of 10 seats out of IAH and in some cases we might not have to block any seats at all. I've also heard that UA's flights to SIN from SFO/LAX would greatly benefit if UA is able to achieve this certification.
No time frame was given and I'm not sure how long it should take for an airline like UA to receive certification but UA is working towards achieving ETOPS 240 certification.

VC10er

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:29 pm

That is very interesting to read Jayunited! I would think that major airlines like United would have very tight relationships with the FAA and would be able to cut through the red tape quicker given their clout? Being able to fill 10 to 50 seats would add up to a lot of money on those routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos