MSPNWA

Re: United Airlines Network Thread 2018

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 am

UALFAson wrote:
UA seems to have given up on DCA, which is a bit surprising to me given their struggles across town at IAD. ORD is in the same boat. UA used to offer exclusively mainline service on an hourly basis while AA offered sporadic Eagle regional jets. Now the situation is reverse: AA flies all mainline and UA is a majority Express.

Wednesday ORD-DCA:

UA - 15 daily, 9 mainline
AA - 8 daily, all mainline

Granted AA is all 738 while UA mainline is all A319 except one A320, but that's a weak showing for AA on a hub-to-hub route, not UA. UA has AA beat in seats by about 350, or about 27% more capacity.

UA is still #4 at DCA which is strong considering three of their big hubs (DEN, SFO, and LAX) lie outside the DCA perimeter, and a fourth is obviously in the D.C. metro. They're #4 with essentially just ORD, IAH, EWR, and CLE.

ual763

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:35 am

MSPNWA wrote:
UALFAson wrote:
UA seems to have given up on DCA, which is a bit surprising to me given their struggles across town at IAD. ORD is in the same boat. UA used to offer exclusively mainline service on an hourly basis while AA offered sporadic Eagle regional jets. Now the situation is reverse: AA flies all mainline and UA is a majority Express.

Wednesday ORD-DCA:

Granted AA is all 738 while UA mainline is all A319 except one A320, but that's a weak showing for AA on a hub-to-hub route, not UA. UA has AA beat in seats by about 350, or about 27% more capacity.

UA is still #4 at DCA which is strong considering three of their big hubs (DEN, SFO, and LAX) lie outside the DCA perimeter, and a fourth is obviously in the D.C. metro. They're #4 with essentially just ORD, IAH, EWR, and CLE.

United brings the 737-700 into DCA here quite a bit too from ORD
From flying to the NOTAM office

rnav2dlrey

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:52 am

abrelosojos wrote:
I still do not get the UA LAX/SFO twin hub strategy. Can someone kindly explain it to me? I get EWR/IAD much more.

Saludos,
Alex

LAX is the largest O/D airport in the world’s richest country. although smisek thought UA could back down at LAX and gave gates away (which will continue to hurt UA at LAX for years to come), scott kirby has been both vocal and shown through route adds that he intends to compete with LAX. there’s simply too much money to be made at LAX to abandon it as a hub.

expect a new international route announcement soon (many people think LAX-FRA).

jetero

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:53 am

jplatts wrote:
f18raider wrote:
Any chance for mainline on IAH-MAF? The demand is there with Oil, and the Embraers are consistently full.

In addition to UA serving MAF nonstop from IAH, WN also has nonstop service from HOU to MAF, and WN operates its HOU-MAF nonstops on 737-700 planes with 143 seats.

JPlatts, I’m so disappointed.

Surely you could’ve dredged up that when IAH-MAF was resurrected in the 1990s it was on 737s.

And then you could’ve gone back to when the old CO flew it on a 707.

Then you could’ve reminded yourself that Texas International served Big Spring.

That brings a question to mind ... will United ever serve IAH-BPG?

Wait, I don’t want to detract from this discussion ... better start a new thread.

And then next week I’ll start a new one as to whether UA will ever serve IAH-ELD, because, you know, TI used to fly there.

Rdh3e

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 am

SumChristianus wrote:
I don't really understand the schedules beyond April, they seem like major cuts. I assume they havn't been finalized yet.

Certain markets you are looking at?

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 am

flyguy84 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
f18raider wrote:
Any chance for mainline on IAH-MAF? The demand is there with Oil, and the Embraers are consistently full.

In addition to UA serving MAF nonstop from IAH, WN also has nonstop service from HOU to MAF, and WN operates its HOU-MAF nonstops on 737-700 planes with 143 seats.

And you didn't answer the question....

No, I don't see any type of mainline service to MAF in the near future. Maybe a 737/319 RON, but other than that I don't think its going to happen.

Yes that most likely.

I fly IAH to MAF every four months or so and have seen the rare mainline flight subbed. That said as a United Global Services, between paid F for work and my upgrades, I am nearly always upfront and I enjoy the UAex 175s. They have twelve first class seats and power. I really enjoy the port side with the single first class seating. For a fairly short hop it works out quite nicely for me especially as a frequent UA flyer when at IAH. I've done Southwest on the route a couple of times over the years but it was on the old 300s, and I preferred the UA 175s in F (Plus Hobby is less convenient for me). Of course to each their own.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

panam330

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:35 am

Come onnnnn DEN-BUF/ROC/SYR E75s!

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm

This week's OAG updates from Enraila's thread
UA DEN-MTJ MAY 3>2
UA EWR-STT APR 0.8>0.4
UA EWR-SXM APR 0.8>0.4
UA IAD-STT APR 0.6>0.2
UA IAD-YVR JUN 0.3>0.1 JUL 0.3>0.1 AUG 0.2>0.1
UA IAH-MTY FEB 7>6
UA IAH-PSP APR 2>1.3
UA ORD-DAY MAY 5>7
UA ORD-STT APR 0.1>0.0

Mostly leisure cuts, ORD-DAY is interesting, a mix of CR2s and CR7s but UA may be refocusing some of its western Ohio capacity/growth at DAY, which is less competitive compared to CVG. DAY-IAH fits with this mold and upgauging DAY-DEN to CR7s or E75 would make sense as a future possibility.

The cuts I saw past April were not on a single route, but generically seemed to effect all the routes I looked at.
IND-DEN for example is 2x E75, 1x 319 this summer as opposed to 1x E75, 1x 319, 1x 73H (if I remember it correctly, last summer)
Many routes served on mainline last summer out of DEN, like MEM, BNA, MKE, CVG, show up as regional only in Summer 2018.
A Traddie wannaby---UA DL LH NW AA (coming soon)
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

blockski

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:36 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
UALFAson wrote:

Wednesday ORD-DCA:

Yeah - UA's passenger numbers have been pretty much flat at DCA since the merger. Which makes sense, given the slots they're working with.

http://www.mwaa.com/about/reagan-air-traffic-statistics

UA brought the 753 for their one beyond-perimeter flight to SFO. I'll bet that UA has been shifting some RJs around to make use of all of their DCA slots and offer high frequency feed into their other hubs, but they're certainly not 'giving up' on DCA.

airzim

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm

blockski wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
UALFAson wrote:

Wednesday ORD-DCA:

Yeah - UA's passenger numbers have been pretty much flat at DCA since the merger. Which makes sense, given the slots they're working with.

UA brought the 753 for their one beyond-perimeter flight to SFO. I'll bet that UA has been shifting some RJs around to make use of all of their DCA slots and offer high frequency feed into their other hubs, but they're certainly not 'giving up' on DCA.

DCA is a unique case given the perimeter issues and where UA's hubs are located. EWR (and frankly all the NYC airports) are being eaten alive by Amtrak. IAD is obviously too close and splits the traffic in the region. SFO and DEN are limited to 1 flight a day, so that leave ORD and IAH as the only viable options. ORD at 15 daily, and IAH at 9 daily (all mainline except 1 mid afternoon flight), is a pretty decent presence.

FSDan

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
The cuts I saw past April were not on a single route, but generically seemed to effect all the routes I looked at.
IND-DEN for example is 2x E75, 1x 319 this summer as opposed to 1x E75, 1x 319, 1x 73H (if I remember it correctly, last summer)
Many routes served on mainline last summer out of DEN, like MEM, BNA, MKE, CVG, show up as regional only in Summer 2018.

I believe UA's schedules are only finalized through April at the moment. Don't put too much stock in anything beyond then until a month or two from now.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm

FSDan wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

I believe UA's schedules are only finalized through April at the moment. Don't put too much stock in anything beyond then until a month or two from now.

Makes sense about the schedule not being finished, do you think the final schedule will at least match last year's capacity on some of those "cut" routes that have lower capacity than last year?

Rdh3e

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
UA DEN-MTJ MAY 3>2 [offseason]
UA EWR-STT APR 0.8>0.4 [hurricane]
UA EWR-SXM APR 0.8>0.4 [hurricane]
UA IAD-STT APR 0.6>0.2 [hurricane]
UA IAD-YVR JUN 0.3>0.1 JUL 0.3>0.1 AUG 0.2>0.1 [Saturday and Sunday to just Saturday]
UA IAH-MTY FEB 7>6
UA IAH-PSP APR 2>1.3
UA ORD-DAY MAY 5>7 [Glitch in the OAG report, never less than 7]
UA ORD-STT APR 0.1>0.0 [hurricane]

Most of those aren't really concerning.

SumChristianus wrote:

UA's domestic US growth in April currently is showing +10.6% frequency, +8.8% seats. Obviously, some routes will see fleet changes but reading the tea leaves isn't worth the effort. Keep in mind that the OAG thread changes are vs what was previously selling, not a prior year comparison.

IADCA

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm

blockski wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
UALFAson wrote:

Wednesday ORD-DCA:

Minor point, but DCA-DEN is also a beyond-perimeter route. Also 753 (used to be 752).

United787

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:08 pm

How about ORD-LIM? I don't see this happening for a while but once ORD-BOG starts on AV and gets settled in...

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:
UA DEN-MTJ MAY 3>2 [offseason]
UA EWR-STT APR 0.8>0.4 [hurricane]
UA EWR-SXM APR 0.8>0.4 [hurricane]
UA IAD-STT APR 0.6>0.2 [hurricane]
UA IAD-YVR JUN 0.3>0.1 JUL 0.3>0.1 AUG 0.2>0.1 [Saturday and Sunday to just Saturday]
UA IAH-MTY FEB 7>6
UA IAH-PSP APR 2>1.3
UA ORD-DAY MAY 5>7 [Glitch in the OAG report, never less than 7]
UA ORD-STT APR 0.1>0.0 [hurricane]

Most of those aren't really concerning.

SumChristianus wrote:

UA's domestic US growth in April currently is showing +10.6% frequency, +8.8% seats. Obviously, some routes will see fleet changes but reading the tea leaves isn't worth the effort. Keep in mind that the OAG thread changes are vs what was previously selling, not a prior year comparison.

Sorry, I realize these are publishing changes, not YOY, I just don't have a good source to view YOY comparisons and couldn't remember how some of these routes operated in the past. CAPA's FairMarketShare was great, but it disappeared when they revamped their website.
Where do you get those YOY comparisons?
8.8% growth is quite high, I assume its domestic? They might be able to lower their published ASM growth by flying the additional seats on shorter stage lengths, but all the new international routes add a lot of ASMs per seat addition.

Its also interesting to note that presently (January) UA is flyinhg a daily 777, EWR-ORD (probably just for aircraft rotation) and ORD-IAD is down to 3x daily.
HNL sees a lot of 777s: 3x daily from SFO, 1x ORD, 1x GUM, 1x LAX, 1x IAH, 1x DEN, 1x NRT.
The 753 is only currently flyinh hub-to-hub routes, DCA, MCO, and LAS. Its all on the former UA network, no scheduled EWR or IAH service.

FSDan

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
FSDan wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Makes sense about the schedule not being finished, do you think the final schedule will at least match last year's capacity on some of those "cut" routes that have lower capacity than last year?

I don't have any insider info (unfortunately), but I'd be surprised if the final schedule ends up being a reduction over last year, or even from the April schedule for that matter. Very few markets warrant more capacity in April than they do in June.

jplatts

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 pm

airzim wrote:
DCA is a unique case given the perimeter issues and where UA's hubs are located. EWR (and frankly all the NYC airports) are being eaten alive by Amtrak. IAD is obviously too close and splits the traffic in the region. SFO and DEN are limited to 1 flight a day, so that leave ORD and IAH as the only viable options. ORD at 15 daily, and IAH at 9 daily (all mainline except 1 mid afternoon flight), is a pretty decent presence.

Another big difference is that UA has a hub at IAD, and UA does have nonstop service to a lot of its domestic destinations from its IAD hub. In addition, there are also some Northern Virginia residents who live closer to IAD than to BWI and DCA and who prefer to use IAD over BWI or DCA.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 am

The A319s UA is currently acquiring will help its position domestically, but UA, besides needing more mainline narrowbodies (the EasyJet rumors...) to fully optimize its position could also increase capacity by increasing utilization. They could add "low cost/risk" mainline RONS to RIC, SAV, MKE, PVD, etc. smaller midsize cities, and doing so, moving beyond the ERJ/CRJ army past with a better product and greater capacity, will increase UA's relevance and market-share on the other ends of its routes. UA seems focused on ex-hub demand, but DL's success in smaller cities, RDU, IND, etc., may rely on building a presence on both ends of a route.
Does this sound reasonable?
I wish United would consider the C-Series, but for both legal and reasons related to UA's management its probably not in the cards right now.

DEN will never become a CLT or an ATL for UA, but it can be a low-cost megahub (sort of) for UA. I see it as settling around 450 daily flights by 2025, majority mainline. Low-yield east-west traffic flows could eventually be transferred to DEN from ORD as ORD's costs rise (they are projected to increase) and LGB, FWA, CHS, RIW, PIR seem like logical additions, while many other routes should be upgauged to mainline or increased in capacity. I know there is more competition now in DEN, but in 1999 UA flew IND-DEN 5x daily mainline. Recently they were down to 1x CR7, 1x CRJ. They're back at 1x 319, 2x E75 for the summer, but I believe they overshrank in the past, squeezing themselves out of the market and leaving room for WN's DEN expansion (and more broadly other carriers).
DEN's bank structure should be changed though as I wrote upthread:
I see DEN's optimal stucture as:
8 AM Omnidirectional frequency/short haul/connecting from Hawaii/Alaska
9AM Westbound
10 AM Eastbound
12 PM Omnidirectional
3 PM Omnidirectional
5 PM Short haul omnidirectional
6 PM Eastbound (IND, LGA, CLT, etc
8 PM Westbound (LAX, SMF, SEA, etc.
9 PM Shorthaul RONs (SLC, COS, ABQ, etc.)
This wouldn't be a prefect system, and I don't know all the constraints of scheduling, but it seems UA can get a little more utilization out of aircraft through its DEN hub by mimicking DL's SLC timing to an extent.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

VC10er wrote:
I would love to see United do the EWR/SIN route with a premium heavy aircraft. They OWN Asia and should continue boldly and with innovations, like a nose to tail Polaris 787 or A350, if that’s technically possible.
Yes to Eastern Europe, but can they fill a 763 to Prague or Belgrade etc, etc???

EWR-SIN I would doubt for several reasons.
SIN to all of the US is about 1000 PDEW with many sixth freedom competitors.
SQ plans to enter EWR-SIN
The route is about 8300 NM, likely to long for the B787-9 and only possible with the ULR A350, which UA has not ordered.
There would be few viable connections on either end due to the geography of the route.
I won't say its impossible, but as UA already operates 2x daily B787-9 to SIN (1x LAX, 1x SFO), I think EWR-SIN would be highly unlikely.

EWR-PRG seems a possibility though; a seasonal B767-300ER.
With Premium+ announced today, I assume widebodies will be losing a few business class seats to make space for the new E+, right?

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Here is an adapted Excel timetable for United in January 2018:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nc55eDXvFcp8HQzCZM82giOAC-MOtvmw

Its adapted from their cargo timetable, and I made some changes, combining fields, resorting it, and changing/calibrating some of the aircraft codes (735?, C7G, E7A, etc.) against what is published on UA's online timetable.
Some of the aircraft types are still ambiguous though, 767-300ER/400ER, 737-700/800, E170/E175, for examples, as they didn't differentiate between them in the codes.
You might be interested in this folder as well: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13rmeluoyQ5KJn7_gHh2rNBgbSrWn4QfA
These are mostly files of selected records from the DB1B O&D report, and it takes some calculating to get exact PDEW or fare/routing information, but its interesting to note (one of the many facts that can be gleamed from them) is that UA flows around 200-250 PDEW of connections through CLE. (Q3 2017)

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm

United787 wrote:
How about ORD-LIM? I don't see this happening for a while but once ORD-BOG starts on AV and gets settled in...

Perhaps a Saturday/weekend service, but its 3,283 nm and would probably require an international 757 or widebody. EWR-LIM may be more likely, it seems like it would be a larger market. Avianca Peru's existence and Avianca's proposed joint-venture with UA would probably boost the chances or ORD from LIM, however.
SFO-Ho Chi Minh City and SFO-Bangkok would seem the next logical Asian destinations. SFO-GRU could come eventually, 2020.
With QF entering SFO-MEL, I think UA should add SFO-BNE. SYD proabably has all the UA capacity it will see for a while and between MEL and BNE, BNE doesn't have a lot of U.S. flights (I believe it is a smaller market, though.

I saw a white-tail 767 and a UA 787-9 at the gates in DEN for "operating" LH's flights back in November. I assume these were one-off substitutions for LH's FRA and MUC flights, but perhaps UA could eventually take over the operation of DEN-FRA or DEN-MUC. UA hasn't really used the metal-neutrality of its European joint-venture to the same extent as DL. It would be cool to see UA long haul (to FRA) at MIA, BOS, ATL, or SEA. I assume there is a reason DL operates routes like this and UA doesn't (a difference in the terms of their joint-venture?) but I'd consider it a possibility for UA to fly routings like that.

LAXdude1023

Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:52 pm

United787 wrote:

Im curious to know what it adds. Its not a big local market and even with the AV/UA deal, LIM doesnt offer a whole bunch that BOG doesnt.

IAD-LIM is literally almost 5x larger than ORD-IAD. I know LA didnt make IAD work but UA/AV might be able too. Id place my bets more on that. Especially with LA leaving.

Also, would UA ever be interested in entering Bolivia? The DC area is home to about half of the nations Bolivian population. I know IAH is the Latin America hub, but if UA were going to launch Bolivia, it would be better done from DC.

Then again, UA doesnt seem to show much interest in IAD...
Next flight: IAH-DTW-IAH on UA

FSDan

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:31 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
EWR-LIM may be more likely, it seems like it would be a larger market.

UA has been flying EWR-LIM for years with the 752.

mmahpeel

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

More 77W flying loaded into the schedule for sale, approximate start dates as follows:

EWR-FRA 24Mar
SFO-LHR #1 23Apr
SFO-TLV 23May

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
More 77W flying loaded into the schedule for sale, approximate start dates as follows:

EWR-FRA 24Mar
SFO-LHR #1 23Apr
SFO-TLV 23May

Almost EK like growth on SFO-TLV!
From 3x week 789 to daily 788 to 77W!
Is TLV going all 77W then?

AVLAirlineFreq

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 pm

SumChristianus wrote:

Frequency growth will probably center on DEN, where I see FWA, LGB, AVL, and CHS as new routes. LAS, PHX, SEA, PDX, and SLC could use more frequencies on departures from DEN's major westbound banks.

I would loudly endorse DEN-AVL and/or a return of IAH-AVL.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 pm

From Enraila, thanks!

*UA CLE-SJU MAY 0.1>0 JUN 0.2>0 JUL 0.1>0
UA DEN-CUN AUG 1.1>0.8 SEP 0.4>0.3
UA DEN-EAR SEP 0>1.5
UA DEN-GUC JUN 1.1>1.8
UA EWR-AUA SEP 1.6>1.5
UA EWR-BOG AUG 1.4>1.6
UA EWR-CUN JUN 5>4 AUG 5>4 SEP 1.7>1.3
UA EWR-GCM MAY 0.1>0
UA EWR-GUA MAY 0.1>0
UA EWR-LIR JUL 0.1>0.3
UA EWR-MBJ MAY 1.1>1.0 AUG 2>1.3 SEP 0.4>0.2
UA EWR-NAS AUG 1.1>0.8 SEP 0.3>0.2
UA EWR-PLS AUG 1.0>0.7
UA EWR-POP AUG 0.5>0.7
UA EWR-POS AUG 1.0>0.6
UA EWR-PUJ MAY 3>2 SEP 1.2>1.0
UA EWR-SJO AUG 1.5>1.7
UA EWR-SJU APR 3>1.9 JUN 3>1.9 JUL 4>2 AUG 3>1.6 SEP 1.2>1.0
UA EWR-SKB JUL 0>0.1
UA EWR-STT APR 0.4>0.1
UA EWR-SXM APR 0.4>0.2
UA EWR-TLV SEP 2>1.8
UA IAD-ALB SEP 3>4
UA IAD-BTV SEP 3>4
UA IAD-BUF SEP 3>4
UA IAD-CUN MAY 1.4>1.0 JUN 3>1.9 SEP 0.4>0.3
UA IAD-CVG SEP 1.8>4
UA IAD-DEN SEP 7>8
UA IAD-FLL SEP 1.0>2
UA IAD-GSP SEP 3>4
UA IAD-MCI SEP 1.8>3
UA IAD-PUJ AUG 0.5>0.6
UA IAD-PVD SEP 2>4
UA IAD-PWM SEP 2>4
UA IAD-RIC SEP 3>4
UA IAD-ROC SEP 4>3
UA IAD-SAV SEP 3>4
UA IAD-SCE SEP 4>3
UA IAD-SDF SEP 1.0>2
UA IAD-SJU MAY 0.3>0 AUG 1.0>0.6 SEP 0.1>0
UA IAD-STL SEP 4>3
UA IAD-SXM MAY 0.1>0
UA IAD-SYR SEP 4>3
UA IAD-TYS SEP 3>4
UA IAD-YUL JUN 3>4 JUL 3>4 AUG 3>4 SEP 3>4
UA IAH-BZE MAY 1.4>1.1 AUG 1.6>1.9
UA IAH-CZM APR 0.7>0.8 AUG 0.6>0.8
UA IAH-GCM APR 0.6>0.8 AUG 0.6>0.9
UA IAH-LIR APR 1.9>3 MAY 1.2>2 AUG 1.6>1.8
UA IAH-MBJ AUG 0.5>0.8
UA IAH-MGA AUG 1.6>1.8
UA IAH-MID AUG 1.0>0.8
UA IAH-NAS AUG 0.9>1.3
UA IAH-OAX AUG 0.5>0.6
UA IAH-PUJ MAY 0.5>0.4 JUN 1.3>1.1 AUG 0.6>0.9
UA IAH-PVR APR 3>1.8 MAY 1.5>1.1 JUN 3>2.0 AUG 1.5>1.8
UA IAH-RTB AUG 0.5>0.8
UA IAH-SAP JUL 2>3 AUG 1.5>1.7
UA IAH-SJD MAY 3>4
UA IAH-SJO AUG 3>4
UA IAH-SJU MAY 1.5>1.3
UA IAH-SLP MAY 2>1.9
UA LAX-BJX AUG 2>1.9
UA LAX-CUN JUN 3>4 JUL 3>4 AUG 1.8>3
UA LAX-IAD JUN 8>9 JUL 8>9 AUG 8>9 SEP 8>9
UA LAX-SJD AUG 0.7>0.8
UA ORD-ABE JUL 3>2
UA ORD-BNA JUL 8>7
UA ORD-CID JUN 6>5 JUL 6>5
UA ORD-CMH JUL 8>7
UA ORD-CUN AUG 1.5>1.8
UA ORD-EYW MAY 0.1>1.0
UA ORD-IAH JUL 10>9
UA ORD-LIR JUL 0.1>0.3 AUG 0.1>0.2
UA ORD-MEX MAY 1.7>1.9 JUN 1.7>1.8 JUL 1.7>1.9 AUG 1.7>1.9 SEP 1.7>1.8
UA ORD-MSN MAY 7>6
UA ORD-OMA JUL 6>5
UA ORD-PNS JUN 1.2>3 JUL 1.0>2
UA ORD-PUJ AUG 0.5>0.6
UA ORD-PVR APR 1.8>1.7
UA ORD-RIC MAY 5>4
UA ORD-SEA JUN 5>6
UA SFO-BZN JUN 0.8>1.6
UA SFO-IAD JUN 10>9 JUL 10>9 AUG 11>9 SEP 10>9
UA SFO-PSP MAY 5>4
UA SFO-PVR AUG 1.2>1.0
UA SFO-TLV SEP 1.0>0.8

DEN doesn't get much this week, but IAD changes are interesting.
No surprise CLE-SJU was dropped.

ual763

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Wow! Lots of extra frequency here at Dulles!
From flying to the NOTAM office

len90

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
mmahpeel wrote:

EWR-FRA 24Mar
SFO-LHR #1 23Apr
SFO-TLV 23May

EWR-TLV is still 2 flights: one on a 77E and one on a 77W so not yet.
Len90

VC10er

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 am

Sorry to ask when I know the answer: EWR to GIG nonstop? 763? 788?
I think the one connection from GRU to Santos Dumont rocks...but I wish this will happen one day when there is more slack in that size ac.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

jayunited

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:27 am

SumChristianus wrote:

I'm shocked that SFO-TLV is going 77W, I know demand on this route is high for both passengers and cargo which is why I expected UA to place a 789 on this route. I never thought UA would go from a 788 to a 77W, that is amazing it almost makes me wonder if UA will add an additional gateway to TLV from either LAX, ORD or IAD in 2019 or 2020 if demand for travel from the U.S. to TLV continues to grow.

VC10er

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm

jayunited wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

I'm shocked that SFO-TLV is going 77W, I know demand on this route is high for both passengers and cargo which is why I expected UA to place a 789 on this route. I never thought UA would go from a 788 to a 77W, that is amazing it almost makes me wonder if UA will add an additional gateway to TLV from either LAX, ORD or IAD in 2019 or 2020 if demand for travel from the U.S. to TLV continues to grow.

I flew to TLV on the 77W from EWR. This doesn't surprise me because all the Israeli's I met on my 10 day vacation, when I told them I flew United...they said "they love United"...not something one hears often. Plus, both flights were PACKED, not that 2 packed rides is a significant indicator, but given there are 2 flights from EWR and one very successful flight from SFO, thus I am not so surprised. UA's 77W (in Polaris) is their jewel right now..I hope they get more than 4 more.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

FSDan

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:14 pm

mmahpeel wrote:

EWR-FRA 24Mar
SFO-LHR #1 23Apr
SFO-TLV 23May

It looks to me like there is actually too much flying currently loaded for the 77W. Looking at the schedules for late June, it would take 15 aircraft to cover the scheduled flying. They only have 14 through the summer, unless deliveries have been moved up. Otherwise, they could retime a flight such as SFO-TPE so that it utilizes one aircraft instead of two, or they could downgauge something.

B737900ER

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm

VC10er wrote:
Plus, both flights were PACKED, not that 2 packed rides is a significant indicator, but given there are 2 flights from EWR and one very successful flight from SFO, thus I am not so surprised.

Those flights are packed, almost everyday, and have been for at least the past decade.

I wonder why it’s taking so long to open LAX-TLV

FlyHossD

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm

B737900ER wrote:

I wonder why it’s taking so long to open LAX-TLV

IIRC, CO management was discussing just such a flight prior to 9/11. Is it finally time?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

777-500er

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:10 pm

SFO-FRA will be double daily next winter with LH downgauging to the A346 for the winter schedule.

mmahpeel

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm

FSDan wrote:
mmahpeel wrote:

EWR-FRA 24Mar
SFO-LHR #1 23Apr
SFO-TLV 23May

It looks to me like there is actually too much flying currently loaded for the 77W. Looking at the schedules for late June, it would take 15 aircraft to cover the scheduled flying. They only have 14 through the summer, unless deliveries have been moved up. Otherwise, they could retime a flight such as SFO-TPE so that it utilizes one aircraft instead of two, or they could downgauge something.

I tried some variations and was able to make it work with 14 frames, including 2 long RONs at SFO, and the RONs at HKG and TPE. This does not contemplate any domestic flying for the 77W, so perhaps like UA did with the 744 fleet the 77W fleet will not be assigned any domestic runs.

FSDan

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 pm

mmahpeel wrote:
FSDan wrote:
mmahpeel wrote:

EWR-FRA 24Mar
SFO-LHR #1 23Apr
SFO-TLV 23May

I tried some variations and was able to make it work with 14 frames, including 2 long RONs at SFO, and the RONs at HKG and TPE. This does not contemplate any domestic flying for the 77W, so perhaps like UA did with the 744 fleet the 77W fleet will not be assigned any domestic runs.

I'm guessing there will be no domestic runs (aircraft can rotate between SFO and EWR via NRT).

However, I still don't see how the schedule works out with the current timing and just 14 frames... There need to be 4 at EWR to operate EWR-FRA, EWR-TLV, and EWR-NRT daily. That leaves 10 for SFO. SFO-TPE and SFO-HKG each require 2 frames because of the RON at the outstation. SFO-TLV takes another 2. That leaves 4 frames to operate SFO-LHR, SFO-FRA, SFO-NRT, and SFO-PEK, but the problem is that because of the timings there also has to be an RON aircraft at SFO (there are two mid-afternoon arrivals - LHR and FRA, with just one evening departure to TLV).

I think in the coming weeks we'll see one of the following: SFO-TPE downgauged to the 789, or EWR-FRA downgauged to either the 772 or 764.

TYSflyer

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:20 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

Frequency growth will probably center on DEN, where I see FWA, LGB, AVL, and CHS as new routes. LAS, PHX, SEA, PDX, and SLC could use more frequencies on departures from DEN's major westbound banks.

I am quite surprised United doesn't serve IAD-AVL. Further, the only service to the DC area from AVL is on G4, right? Has United ever offered IAD-AVL? Seems it would be an easy add especially given the growth recently at AVL and united has been adding service at IAD.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Here are my UA predictions, not all at once, in one year, or even all of them ever starting, but the following each seem like likely to at least some extent for UA.
City 1-City 2-Weekly Frequency-Equipment Type
Chicago-Atlantic City-14x-CR7
Chicago-Grand Forks-7x-ERJ
Chicago-New Haven (CT)-14x-CR7
Chicago-New York (JFK)-21x-E75
Chicago-New York (SWF)-14x-CR7
Chicago-Newport News-14x-CR7
Chicago-Palm Springs-7x-A319
Chicago-St. Cloud-13x-CR2
Chicago-Tel Aviv-4x-B772
Chicago-Toledo-20x-CR2
Denver-Buffalo-7x-E75
Denver-Charleston-7x-A319
Denver-Eureka-7x-CR2
Denver-Fort Wayne-7x-CR7
Denver-Jackson (MS)-7x-E75
Denver-Long Beach-7x-E75
Denver-Mammoth Lakes (CA)-2x-CR7
Denver-Monterrey (CA)-7x-E75
Denver-Pierre-13x-CR2
Denver-Riverton-13x-CR2
Denver-South Bend-7x-CR7
Denver -Santa Rosa-7x-E75
Houston-Asheville-7x-CR2
Houston-Evansville-7x-ERJ
Houston-Key West-7x-E70
Houston-Madison-6x-CR7
Houston-Montgomery-14x-ERJ
Houston-San Angelo-13x-ERJ
Houston-Sarasota-7x-E75
Houston-Talahassee-20x-ERJ
Houston-Waco-20x-ERJ
Houston-Wichita Falls-14x-ERJ
Newark-Charlottesville-7x-ERJ
Newark-Moscow-7x-B76W
Newark-Newport News-7x-ERJ
Newark-Prague-5x-B76W
Newark-Warsaw-7x-B76W
San Francisco-Brisbane-5x-B789
San Francisco-Charlotte-7x-A319
San Francisco-Colorado Springs-7x-CR7
San Francisco-Columbus-7x-A319
San Francisco-El Paso-7x-CR7
San Francisco-Ho Chi Minh City-7x-B789
San Francisco-Long Beach-14x-CR7
San Francisco-Memphis-6x-A319
San Francisco-Milwaukee-7x-A319
San Francisco-Nagoya-4x-B788
San Francisco-Wichita-6x-CR7
Washington (IAD)- Asheville-7x-CRJ
Washington (IAD)-Fort Myers-7x-A319
Washington (IAD)- Manchester (NH)-14x-ERJ
Washington (IAD)-Miami-7x-E75
Washington (IAD)-Milwaukee-7x-CR7
Washington (IAD)-West Palm Beach-7x-E70

More details to come later on some of these predictions later
DEN-CHS, ORD-TOL, SFO-CLT, SFO-CMH and SFO-MKE seem the most likely at the moment to me.
ORD-BIS and ATW-DEN (though I had thought GRB-DEN) were on my handwritten list but were just recently announced by UA.

And yes:
TYSflyer wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

I am quite surprised United doesn't serve IAD-AVL. Further, the only service to the DC area from AVL is on G4, right? Has United ever offered IAD-AVL? Seems it would be an easy add especially given the growth recently at AVL and united has been adding service at IAD.

An IAD-AVL afternoon flight seems likely given some Southeastern U.S. destinations are served from IAD and not EWR. Given AVL's proximity to IAD, that would seem a possible route for a UA CR2/ERJ. IAH could be resumed to (was served until ~2013), as UA seems to have gotten over its "squeeze and hurt IAH" phase, at least in rhetoric. It may depend on oil prices, though, high enough for local demand, not too high as to make 50 seat regional jets uneconomical.

Themotionman

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:07 pm

I think United's next ULH adds would be SFO-SGN and potentially LAX-TLV.

But what about a return to Africa. United cancelled IAH-Africa due to oil prices affecting demand but what about EWR-LOS/JNB?

Conveniently, I am doing an essay on United Airlines' network. It would be great if you could answer my survey on United's network for my essay - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jbflfq ... gse3E/edit

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Themotionman wrote:
I think United's next ULH adds would be SFO-SGN and potentially LAX-TLV.

But what about a return to Africa. United cancelled IAH-Africa due to oil prices affecting demand but what about EWR-LOS/JNB?

Conveniently, I am doing an essay on United Airlines' network. It would be great if you could answer my survey on United's network for my essay - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jbflfq ... gse3E/edit

I just filled it out a bit ago. Quite interesting questions, and I'm glad you posted it here.
LAX-TLV would have to rely almost entirely on local demand, and as MEL and ITO seem to be UA's only unique destinations from LAX it seems less likely.

I would think AA would enter South Africa before UA, MIA, although probably low in demand to Africa, seems to have better geography and AA could probably serve MIA-JNB with the B787-9. UA has South African Airways in Star Alliance, but as its long term survival prospects are doubtful, UA will probably serve JNB eventually. I'd say 2026 for UA and 2022 for AA to enter South Africa.

EWR-ACC, EWR-LOS, etc. seem plausible, although DL just entered JFK-LOS and already serves JFK-ACC and the market may not be that large. I heard of someone who flew LOS-DXB-ORD, so there seems to be potential for more nonstop U.S.-Africa capacity.

Overall, with investor concern over high ASM growth, I think UA should focus on what it says is now a more profitable domestic network and turn IAH, ORD, and DEN into "super-hubs" (defined as near CLT/DFW/ATL like in economies of scale/size)
Increase:
ORD from 60,000 to 80,000 SDEW (550 daily departures)
DEN from 40,000 to 60,000 SDEW (450 daily departures, mostly mainline)
IAH from 55,000 to 60,000 SDEW (500 daily departures)
These would be smaller still, far smaller than ATL/DFW, but would go a long way towards giving UA a competitive domestic presence.
Overall, I figure 20% domestic growth over 6 years at 3% per year would allow UA to reach this point. Departures would be just above flat and mainline aircraft would increase by around a hundred narrowbody aircraft while night mainline RONS at regional airports, and moving around departure banks will increase utilization and service. Match DL's scheduling techniques and UA can achieve a lot.

alasizon

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Overall, with investor concern over high ASM growth, I think UA should focus on what it says is now a more profitable domestic network and turn IAH, ORD, and DEN into "super-hubs" (defined as near CLT/DFW/ATL like in economies of scale/size)
Increase:
ORD from 60,000 to 80,000 SDEW (550 daily departures)
DEN from 40,000 to 60,000 SDEW (450 daily departures, mostly mainline)
IAH from 55,000 to 60,000 SDEW (500 daily departures)
These would be smaller still, far smaller than ATL/DFW, but would go a long way towards giving UA a competitive domestic presence.
Overall, I figure 20% domestic growth over 6 years at 3% per year would allow UA to reach this point. Departures would be just above flat and mainline aircraft would increase by around a hundred narrowbody aircraft while night mainline RONS at regional airports, and moving around departure banks will increase utilization and service. Match DL's scheduling techniques and UA can achieve a lot.

Your daily seats seem a little low across the board. For example, AA's current PHX hub is about 30,000-35,000 SDEW with just 260 daily departures. I think that UA & AA are going to add a bit more competition with DL for the domestic market. 3% per year is going to be a bit hard to achieve due to some existing infrastructure challenges when some markets on 739s need to be upgraded and there isn't really an option to other than an additional frequency.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 pm

That's why UA should get the A321 and CR9 to aid in upgauging routes. The CS100, E190, or more A319s would be good to, but not sure of their intent in that regard.

My numbers for the present were from their December 2017 Cargo timetable, and are probably wrong on two counts, I had to average 737-700/800 seat counts as they were not delineated separately, while some flights, early morning BUF-EWR for example did not show up at all in the timetable. Do any of you know of a better way of approximating capacity or viewing future schedules? FairMarketShare.com was discontinued by CAPA, and with airline pdf timetables also discontinued, its very hard to see future schedules nowadays.

PHX probably has the highest mainline service percentage of any of AAs hubs, I really don't know exact numbers.

psa1011

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

777-500er wrote:
SFO-FRA will be double daily next winter with LH downgauging to the A346 for the winter schedule.

Isn't LH switching equipment on SFO-FRA/MUC during winter?

FSDan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm

psa1011 wrote:
777-500er wrote:

Isn't LH switching equipment on SFO-FRA/MUC during winter?

SFO-MUC will move to the 388 for the winter schedule. But 1x LH 388 is still fewer seats than the summer capacity of 1x UA 789 + 1x LH 346.

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:39 pm

What do you think of this:
Russel, Edward. Flight Global, "United plans rapid growth through 2020." https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/united-plans-rapid-growth-through-2020-445139/, 23 Jan 2017.
United plans rapid growth through 2020

"United Airlines unveiled plans to continue to grow capacity at an elevated rate through 2020, as it aims to catch up with domestic competitors.
Capacity will increase 4-6% in 2018, 2019 and 2020, says Scott Kirby, president of United, during a quarterly earnings presentation on 23 January.
"The opportunity at United is not about shrinking, it's about growing back to where United should have been if hadn't been negative 8% growth over the past [few] years," he says in an effort to pre-empt analyst questions about the high rate of growth.
Kirby adds that the capacity growth is about catching up with competitors American Airlines and Delta Air Lines, which grew during the first half of the decade when United shrank by roughly 8%.
Capacity at United grew 3.5% in 2017.
US domestic growth will outpace international this year, says Kirby in response to analyst questions. Much of that will come from the influx of 41 50-seat regional jets, including both Bombardier CRJ200s and Embraer ERJ-145s, in 2018. These aircraft will allow United to return to small markets it cut when it shrank in the 2000s and after its merger with Continental Airlines in 2010.
United also plans to add 24 aircraft to its mainline fleet in 2018. These include its first 10 Boeing 737 Max 9s, as well as four Boeing 777-300ERs and seven Boeing 787s. It will add three used Boeing 767-300ERs in the second half.
Capital expenditures will total $3.6-3.8 billion in 2018.
Unit costs (CASM) excluding fuel, special items, profit sharing and third-party expenses are forecast to be flat to down 1% in 2018.
In the first quarter, United anticipates capacity to increased 3.5-4.5%, an investor update shows. Passenger unit revenue (PRASM) is forecast to be flat to up 2%, and CASM excluding fuel, special items, profit sharing and third-party expenses flat to up 1%.
The airline anticipates a pre-tax margin of 0% for the period."

I assume 0% is typo!

Small markets: Riverton, Toledo, Waco, Montgomery, Tallahassee, etc.; what do you think?
Adding 50 seat jets seems dangerous, but maybe its a way of "stockpiling" pilots. They should consider the CRJ-900.

mn2018

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 pm

It would put BMI and LSE on that short list. AA has lost a lot of goodwill due to poor scheduling and cancellations. Both need quality service to ORD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos