Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yeogeo

Re: Chicago Aviation News - 2018

Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm

chidino wrote:
Nice to know communication is working as well as ever. No explanation/justification in the city's press release, no end date, no firm schedules, just buses "every 10 minutes".

I have to agree with you on your sarcasm here - really poor communication with the public so far on the whole project (not just the ATS). Give us a rough timeline or at least a sequence of the projects to be completed!

Anyway, here's a bus map from the city for the routes operating during the shutdown:

yeogeo

Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm

A brief article on the thinking behind the new AA LGA/ORD shuttle:
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... uttle.html

No surprise: “Fifteen percent of our customers generate 45 percent of our revenue”, thus the attempt to capture business customer traffic on one of the most important business routes.

jcwr56

Tue May 22, 2018 1:18 pm

airstatdfw wrote:
They have a bus right now for all airlines to use. Leaves from gates G20 and K19 to term 5. So you can get to term 5 post security as of right now. I did hear that they would be adding L24 to the stops.

The L24 stop has been up and running for about a week now.

jcwr56

Tue May 22, 2018 1:22 pm

ckfred wrote:
In seeing the stinger ramp from taxiing aircraft, I'm not sure you could fit an Airbus narrowbody in the gates, except possibly at L24, because the aircraft would be parked at an angle to the concourse.

You cannot on the new L gates. L20-L24.

jplatts

Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 pm

The Richmond, VA metropolitan area is the second largest metro area in the U.S. (after the Milwaukee metro area) that doesn't currently have any nonstop service from Chicago on any LCC's, and there is room for either WN to add MDW-RIC nonstop service or for NK to add ORD-RIC nonstop service. Will WN or NK ever add nonstop service to RIC from Chicago?

United787

Tue May 22, 2018 6:34 pm

yeogeo wrote:
chidino wrote:
Nice to know communication is working as well as ever. No explanation/justification in the city's press release, no end date, no firm schedules, just buses "every 10 minutes".

I have to agree with you on your sarcasm here - really poor communication with the public so far on the whole project (not just the ATS). Give us a rough timeline or at least a sequence of the projects to be completed!

Anyway, here's a bus map from the city for the routes operating during the shutdown:

I don't understand how the CDA is getting away with such little communication. We didn't even know what the L Stinger gates would look like until they were finished.

FYI, the map didn't come through.

But, if the ATS is shutting down during the week until the winter, does that mean the consolidated car rental won't be opening until then either?

yeogeo

Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 pm

United787 wrote:
FYI, the map didn't come through.

Strange - its showing for me - even appears in your quote.
Here's a link:

http://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollectio ... %20Map.pdf

yeogeo

Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm

United787 wrote:
...if the ATS is shutting down during the week until the winter, does that mean the consolidated car rental won't be opening until then either?

Hate to break it to you, my friend, but the weekday closure is through the winter season!
Here's the article, if you missed it upthread:
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=81712381
It mentions that they've given themselves an abundant time frame to allow for the unforeseen.

I suppose if the intermodal facility opens before the ATS is finished they could give access via buses - after all, they've got a bus route going up to the Metra Station as it is.

ADrum23

Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm

yeogeo wrote:
chidino wrote:

I still don't understand why they are bothering to shut down the existing portion of the ATS, considering they'll still open it on the weekends. Are they actually going to be physically removing the existing tracks and replacing them, or simply refurbishing things? Will they fix up the remote parking station?

Here is a video that was uploaded a few weeks ago that shows the entire route from T1 to Remote Parking. I know it is recent because you can faintly hear the announcement in the background (in the beginning of the video) about the ATS being shut down nightly. I don't see any major construction in this video despite the nightly shutdowns. What gives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7D_pWW0pKk

ZBA2CGX

Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm

yeogeo wrote:
United787 wrote:
...if the ATS is shutting down during the week until the winter, does that mean the consolidated car rental won't be opening until then either?

Hate to break it to you, my friend, but the weekday closure is through the winter season!
Here's the article, if you missed it upthread:
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=81712381
It mentions that they've given themselves an abundant time frame to allow for the unforeseen.

I suppose if the intermodal facility opens before the ATS is finished they could give access via buses - after all, they've got a bus route going up to the Metra Station as it is.

So are they working on it 24 hours a day or just during daylight hours? Are they replacing track and signals? Are the shuttle buses going to get dedicated travel lanes?

yeogeo

Tue May 22, 2018 11:52 pm

An article offering advice on how to avoid delays at MDW & ORD (answer: fly early)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Had this interesting chart

yeogeo

Tue May 22, 2018 11:56 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Are they actually going to be physically removing the existing tracks and replacing them, or simply refurbishing things? Will they fix up the remote parking station?

ZBA2CGX wrote:
So are they working on it 24 hours a day or just during daylight hours? Are they replacing track and signals? Are the shuttle buses going to get dedicated travel lanes?

So many valid questions - so little public information.

United787

Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 am

Has anyone noticed that UA's fares out of ORD have gotten ridiculously more expensive than AA?

nmdrdh787

Wed May 23, 2018 3:32 pm

ZBA2CGX wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
United787 wrote:

ADrum23 wrote:
Are they actually going to be physically removing the existing tracks and replacing them, or simply refurbishing things? Will they fix up the remote parking station?

ZBA2CGX wrote:

So many valid questions - so little public information.
yeogeo wrote:

chidino wrote:

United787 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
chidino wrote:

I don't understand how the CDA is getting away with such little communication. We didn't even know what the L Stinger gates would look like until they were finished.

But, if the ATS is shutting down during the week until the winter, does that mean the consolidated car rental won't be opening until then either?

I believe that CDA/consultants/contractors are trying to carefully pick their words so they do not over commit to time frames or projects. I also believe that a lot of the fine details you are asking about (T1/2/3->5 connections with the terminal project, new gates, airline arrangements, new routes, etc) are changing frequently and not set in stone. Nor will they until they are announced or the ground is broken...

Also, I have always questioned why a bus to T5 over an underground people mover, but my background is in network planning, not an engineering/master plan forecasting, so I can't answer that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeogeo

Thu May 24, 2018 2:50 pm

35 years ago tomorrow marks the day of the deadliest air crash in US history: American flight 191 on May 25 1983 at O'Hare.
Here's a story of the first reporter who arrived at the scene.

https://www.rheaheraldnews.com/news/art ... d01b6.html

I remember the crash vividly - I was a teenager living in the Chicago area at the time. A photograph of a priest at the site giving last rights and one of the port side engine sitting on the runway, remain with me today.

ZBA2CGX

Thu May 24, 2018 5:43 pm

No real additional information on the people mover
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-b ... ft02a-1li3

stlgph

Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 pm

yeogeo wrote:
35 years ago tomorrow marks the day of the deadliest air crash in US history: American flight 191 on May 25 1983 at O'Hare.

I remember the crash vividly - I was a teenager living in the Chicago area at the time. A photograph of a priest at the site giving last rights and one of the port side engine sitting on the runway, remain with me today.

Small snafu, it was 1979, so 39 years ago.

yeogeo

Thu May 24, 2018 10:27 pm

Expecting record traffic at Chicago airports this long weekend:

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=81782311

"...The CDA is predicting record travel volumes and a 2.3 percent increase over last year’s Memorial Day weekend airport traffic.

Passenger volume at O’Hare will exceed 1.3 million during the six-day Memorial Day travel period, representing a 3 percent increase year over year.

The busiest travel day at both airports is expected to be Friday with nearly 274,000 travelers at O’Hare and nearly 75,000 passengers at Midway."

stlgph wrote:
Small snafu, it was 1979, so 39 years ago.

Honestly, you'd think the publisher would check the dates! :grumpy:

AMollenhauer9

Re: Chicago Aviation News - 2018 no

Fri May 25, 2018 3:04 am

United787 wrote:
Has anyone noticed that UA's fares out of ORD have gotten ridiculously more expensive than AA?

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. It stinks because I much prefer flying UA over AA.

Planeboy17

Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 am

yeogeo wrote:

Very interesting and sobering article, though I don’t understand what he meant by the NTSB saying passengers watched the crash on TV sets on board?
How the hell would that happen?

midway7

Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 am

They had a cockpit camera that projected on to the movie screens at the time. I would imagine normal protocol would be to disconnect the feed in the event of any emergency. However, this situation was over in just a few seconds.

RIP to all aboard. A sad day for all of us from Chicago at the time.

stlgph

Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 pm

midway7 wrote:
They had a cockpit camera that projected on to the movie screens at the time. I would imagine normal protocol would be to disconnect the feed in the event of any emergency. However, this situation was over in just a few seconds.

A sad day in aviation ... the photos taken by the photographer on site at the time .... just damn, particularly the one where he got the plane as it was on its taxi to the runway.

Not here to start a debate on this or whatever, but just curious if pilots at some point and time later were able to hop a simulator some time later and find a way to fly out of the situation, anyone know?

ckfred

Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 pm

yeogeo wrote:

I remember the day. I was in high school with P.E. the last class, outside. We saw smoke to the north and just assumed it was a building fire. It turns out that it was the plane crash. A neighbor mine was a Cook County Sheriff's deputy, so he wound up working at the crash site. Let's just say that dealing with criminals was far better than dealing with what he saw at the scene of the crash.

Planeboy17

Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 pm

stlgph wrote:
midway7 wrote:

A sad day in aviation ... the photos taken by the photographer on site at the time .... just damn, particularly the one where he got the plane as it was on its taxi to the runway.

Not here to start a debate on this or whatever, but just curious if pilots at some point and time later were able to hop a simulator some time later and find a way to fly out of the situation, anyone know?

There were some eerily incredible circumstances to this crash. First was how AA did work on the engine. They would use a forklift to hold up the engine going against the procedure that McDonnell Douglas prescribed. During a shift change in the hangar the forklifts hydraulic pressure was momentarily lost and the lift lowered small enough that it wasn’t visible but enough that it caused stress on one of the securing screws. The plane came out of the hangar and flew for a week to ten days I believe before the accident. On rotation the #1 engine came off the left wing due to the stressed screw. This caused damage to the hydraulic lines on the left wing which kept the slats in the takeoff position with no way to change them. The First Officer was the pilot flying the plane. This is important because McDonnellDouglas offered a stall shaker on each control column but AA only put it on the Captain’s side. Another issue was at the time the thinking about single engine stall speed was to try to match it exactly, even if your airspeed was higher, which was the case with 191. So you have the engine fall off on rotation, which the crew had no idea they lost the engine because they didn’t have view of the engines from the cockpit. They just thought they lost power. Then they had the slats stay fixed in the takeoff position because of the hydraulic lines cut but the right wing actually retracted the slats as normal so now you have assymetrical thrust, weight differential and slats on the left wing pulling the plane left and the FO reducing the speed to get to the exact speed and not having a stick shaker and all of this happening in a matter of a couple of minutes. I apologize for some of the mistakes I’m sure I have in there but I’m coming off a red eye so please correct me if any of my memory is off.

glbltrvlr

Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 pm

United787 wrote:

To the UK? Yes. AA is selling J seats to LHR in September for under $5K. UA is pricing them over $10K. Through the summer they are similar. Interestingly enough, although outbound P fares are readily available, UA zeros the P bucket inventory for the return leg, selling D or J only. The one exception is the Air Canada code share flights. They will sell those at a slight discount. My assumption is that UA is willing to give up leisure sales (no one buys business tickets over 90 days in advance) to keep the inventory available for closer in business sales.

_AA_777_MAN

Sat May 26, 2018 4:33 pm

Does anybody know why on May 24th we had 5 flights from MAD-ORD? 4x Iberia and 1 Vamos Air 744. 2 of the IB flights a 346 continued on to JFK and another 333 went to BOS after the ORD stop. The other 3 a 346 333 and 332 flew ORD-MAD. However the Vamos 744 still shows as MAD-ORD as it's last flight. I'd like to add that these were not diversions of any kind but scheduled to fly this way.

jcwr56

Sat May 26, 2018 8:57 pm

_AA_777_MAN wrote:
Does anybody know why on May 24th we had 5 flights from MAD-ORD? 4x Iberia and 1 Vamos Air 744. 2 of the IB flights a 346 continued on to JFK and another 333 went to BOS after the ORD stop. The other 3 a 346 333 and 332 flew ORD-MAD. However the Vamos 744 still shows as MAD-ORD as it's last flight. I'd like to add that these were not diversions of any kind but scheduled to fly this way.

https://am.asco.org/

About 40,000 attendees.

jbs2886

Sun May 27, 2018 1:59 am

jcwr56 wrote:
_AA_777_MAN wrote:

https://am.asco.org/

About 40,000 attendees.

That doesn’t explain why MAD has a huge number of flights. Why don’t other cities?

chidino

Mon May 28, 2018 12:06 am

stlgph wrote:
midway7 wrote:

They were -- as soon as they followed procedure for full loss of an engine: speed up, nose down, fly the plane instead of continuing takeoff -- it was fine. A major contributor to the tragedy is that the pilots followed instructions for the crisis they thought they had; as Planeboy17 pointed out above, they had no way of knowing/seeing what had actually happened.

FromGSPtoChi

Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 am

Does anyone know when Spirit is moving to terminal 5? I know Frontier moved a few weeks ago. I was on NK464 tonight and when we landed they announced we would be going to terminal 3, as expected. Then they came back on a said we would be going to terminal 5 instead and that bags would be picked up a baggage carousel 10 near gate M6. Carousel 10 is currently used by Frontier. I assume this was just a dry run for the future move.

Note: It took 30 minutes for the bag to arrive :(.

jcwr56

Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am

FromGSPtoChi wrote:
Does anyone know when Spirit is moving to terminal 5? I know Frontier moved a few weeks ago. I was on NK464 tonight and when we landed they announced we would be going to terminal 3, as expected. Then they came back on a said we would be going to terminal 5 instead and that bags would be picked up a baggage carousel 10 near gate M6. Carousel 10 is currently used by Frontier. I assume this was just a dry run for the future move.

2026 or so...

There are times where NK has more flights on the ground than gates available and depending how flights are scheduled will have an arrival that makes up a late morning departure. So NK RON's 3-4 planes at T5 a night. In this instance, it appears they decided to bring the flight to T5 directly where there would be no delay getting it in.

AS is another carrier that is currently RONing one plane at T5. DL at times, Envoy will park planes...AA will RON a plane. T5 by default is the catch all, especially during weather events. These are the only common use gate at ORD until the additional 3 Stinger gates are built. The next reallocation of gates won't be until April 2021 at the earliest.

Planeboy17

Tue May 29, 2018 3:50 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
FromGSPtoChi wrote:

2026 or so...

There are times where NK has more flights on the ground than gates available and depending how flights are scheduled will have an arrival that makes up a late morning departure. So NK RON's 3-4 planes at T5 a night. In this instance, it appears they decided to bring the flight to T5 directly where there would be no delay getting it in.

AS is another carrier that is currently RONing one plane at T5. DL at times, Envoy will park planes...AA will RON a plane. T5 by default is the catch all, especially during weather events. These are the only common use gate at ORD until the additional 3 Stinger gates are built. The next reallocation of gates won't be until April 2021 at the earliest.

Hey jcwr56, always appreciate your information on here! Do you know when they plan on the T5 construction and how tight will it be this summer at T5 with Frontier there now and the summer schedule in full swing?

jcwr56

Tue May 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
FromGSPtoChi wrote:

2026 or so...

Hey jcwr56, always appreciate your information on here! Do you know when they plan on the T5 construction and how tight will it be this summer at T5 with Frontier there now and the summer schedule in full swing?

From what I'm hearing it starts in the fall on the east side where the old Lynx cargo building was located.

Summer reaches full swing when AZ starts on the 31st. Problem times....1330-1600 almost daily is a challenge. When a few run early or a few run late, there will be gate delays. Frontier hasn't been an impact like most thought they would be. The food vendors are loving it though.

Planeboy17

Tue May 29, 2018 7:17 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

2026 or so...

From what I'm hearing it starts in the fall on the east side where the old Lynx cargo building was located.

Summer reaches full swing when AZ starts on the 31st. Problem times....1330-1600 almost daily is a challenge. When a few run early or a few run late, there will be gate delays. Frontier hasn't been an impact like most thought they would be. The food vendors are loving it though.

Thanks! I figured they’d wait until the fall. I know about Ethiopian and Air New Zealand but someone else on here a while back mentioned 1 or 2 more intl carriers arriving this year. Seems far too late now but have you heard any rumors along those lines?

chicawgo

Tue May 29, 2018 8:01 pm

April numbers just posted!

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... UMMARY.pdf

Already strong performance seems to be increasing even more!

Total pax up 5% in April yielding YTD up 4.4%

Most amazing to me is movements are really strong! Up 6.5% in April and YTD up 4.6%. That seems to be coming primarily from domestic movements up 7% in April and up 4.9% YTD.

I imagine this summer will only bring even higher increases!

nmdrdh787

Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 pm

chicawgo wrote:

Most amazing to me is movements are really strong! Up 6.5% in April and YTD up 4.6%. That seems to be coming primarily from domestic movements up 7% in April and up 4.9% YTD.

Ah, memories of inputting the long form of this into Excel for consultancy purposes... on a monthly basis... :shock: :spin:

Good to see cargo is up. Wonder if the stat of ORD being high up there (if not #1) for INTL cargo O&D is still true. Wondering why domestic is down....

If anyone has any questions about the categorization in these reports, I would be more than happy to try to answer them.

glbltrvlr

Tue May 29, 2018 8:35 pm

chicawgo wrote:

Would be interesting to see the breakdown by carrier. My guess is that UAs focus on building up domestic service has a lot to do with it.

nmdrdh787

Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 pm

glbltrvlr wrote:
chicawgo wrote:

Would be interesting to see the breakdown by carrier. My guess is that UAs focus on building up domestic service has a lot to do with it.

I have a seen a breakdown by carrier/airline type before on the website but it seems they cleaned those up and removed them?

ILS28ORD

Thu May 31, 2018 3:10 am

Was at o'hare today and noticed a few things. AF had a 777-300ER at T5, I didn't think they could fill bigger than an A332, big upguage. There was a Wamos Air 744 parked at T5, surprised to see that also. And I know they just shut down the APM for the year but the new cars are on the tracks already in the service area. They looks nice. They're dark blue with 4 red Chicago flag stars horizontal across the side and ORD in big white font mid car.

_AA_777_MAN

Thu May 31, 2018 3:13 pm

And IB is at it again.. 3x A340-600 flying MAD-ORD right now. Flight IB6169/EC-JCY, IB6259/EC-INO, IB6275/EC-JLE.
Also there is an extra LH MUC-ORD frequency today LH436 A330-300/D-AIKC. AF 77W again, AZ resumes FCO-ORD witrh A332, and finally 2nd LH MUC-ORD flight today LH434 is the new livery A350-900.

yeogeo

Thu May 31, 2018 11:45 pm

Southwest announces MDW-CSL.

Chicago Dept. Of Aviation email

timberwolf24

Thu May 31, 2018 11:59 pm

muralir

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:56 pm

chicawgo wrote:

Even more impressive is that movements are up even with strong upguaging: the 4.9% YTD includes a 7% growth in air carrier and a -5% shrink of commuter ops. I'm assuming commuter refers to the regional aircraft?

The international is still a bit of a mystery to me: -4% shrink in ops and +10% growth in passengers means loads must be *way* up. This either means in the next year, we should expect to see more new route announcements, or that T5 really is so congested that airlines haven't been able to add capacity like they normally would with massive passenger growth like that...

yeogeo

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Things don't seem to be going especially well with the bus system subbing for the people-mover between terminals, remote parking, etc., according to this article anyway. I must say, having problems accommodating wheelchairs seems like something they should have prepared for.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=82024561

Anyone here have personal experience?

yeogeo

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:15 pm

If I'm not mistaken, on Saturday ET starts ADD-ORD (or more accurately, ADD-DUB-ORD; ORD-ADD starts on Sunday).
The flight is scheduled to arrive at 20hrs30 - in hopefully some good light for the spotters.
I wonder if they'll get a water canon salute?

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/corpo ... detail/928

timberwolf24

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 am

The ET flight arrives ORD at 755a Sunday morning. With a 955a departure.

ADrum23

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:01 am

yeogeo wrote:
Things don't seem to be going especially well with the bus system subbing for the people-mover between terminals, remote parking, etc., according to this article anyway. I must say, having problems accommodating wheelchairs seems like something they should have prepared for.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=82024561

Anyone here have personal experience?

What a freaking disaster, what was Chicago thinking??? Why did they need to shut down the whole system M-F, could they not have simply rerouting trains onto one side with less frequent service and then used shuttles to supplement the reduced schedule?

And we still don't know for sure what exactly they are doing to the existing system. This is a ominous prelude of things to come when the core of O'Hare 21 gets going.......

italie

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am

Looking up at the sky tonight waiting for BA297. Just after, I saw an interesting occurrence with an MD-11, wondering if anyone else saw it. He looked to be slowing a bit too much a few miles out from ORD, and appeared to start losing altitude quickly. He suddenly pitches up at an absurd angle, and shortly after you hear the three motors roar to life. he started gaining altitude, and headed around for another try at the runway. He came back around 15 minutes later. Looked really freaky from the ground, wondering if anyone knows what happened? From the flightwaredata, the incident would have happened about Thu 07:39:49 PM

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GEC ... /EDDF/KORD

yeogeo

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
The ET flight arrives ORD at 755a Sunday morning. With a 955a departure.

sorry - you're right - misread the schedule.

jkd4855

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:55 am

yeogeo wrote:
A brief article on the thinking behind the new AA LGA/ORD shuttle:
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... uttle.html

No surprise: “Fifteen percent of our customers generate 45 percent of our revenue”, thus the attempt to capture business customer traffic on one of the most important business routes.

I thought Delta had that market, do you think AA will take over?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos