qf789
Topic Author

Florida Couple try stowing cat in checked luggage

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 am

A Florida couple have been caught trying to pack their pet cat in their checked luggage while travelling from Erie, Pennsylvania to Tampa, Florida on New Years Day. The cat has since been confiscated from the couple

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/natio ... 72474.html

https://twitter.com/TSAmedia_LisaF/stat ... 2432526336
Forum Moderator

RamblinMan

Re: Florida Couple try stowing cat in checked luggage

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 am

This is what happens when you charge outrageously high pet fees...article doesn't mention carrier, but just to use DL as an example, $125 each way is often more than the cost of the ticket.

MrBretz

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 am

I was trying to ship my dog a couple years ago. She was a 70lb lab. Obviously, she does not fit under the seat. Delta required her to go as cargo, not as checked baggage, as I had previously done. The rate was so high I can’t remember it. And I had to drop her at a cargo location and there was no guarantee that she would be on the same flight as me. I flew UA instead.

In the past 20 or so years, I have traveled with a couple larger dogs several times across country and never had a problem. I must admit that with my last dog, after a trip across country once, I left her with a sitter or boarded her if we were both gone. It was much easier on everyone.

I am surprised these people didn’t leave their cat at home and have someone care for it. Unlike dogs, cats don’t usually travel well.

sevenair

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 am

In a country where thanksgiving turkeys and piglets are now ‘emotional support animals’ why didn’t they go down that route?
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

atcsundevil

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 am

RamblinMan wrote:
This is what happens when you charge outrageously high pet fees...article doesn't mention carrier, but just to use DL as an example, $125 each way is often more than the cost of the ticket.

While I agree that the charge is utterly ridiculous, I don't agree that this is what happens when fees are charged. What happens is that it results in rampant abuse of "comfort pets" to dodge fees. This example is what happens when people have zero regard for their animals, and therefore don't deserve to have any. A $125 fee is hardly an excuse for animal cruelty, and I hope these people have the book thrown at them. The fees are crazy, but shoving your pet into a suitcase and hoping it isn't killed by hypothermia, hypoxia, suffocation, or blunt force trauma is on a whole other spectrum.

While I'm sure it wasn't difficult to find the meowing (and probably very pissed off) bag, the individual(s) who found it deserves kudos for rescuing this cat from its horrendously stupid owners.

RWA380

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:08 am

atcsundevil wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

While I agree that the charge is utterly ridiculous, I don't agree that this is what happens when fees are charged. What happens is that it results in rampant abuse of "comfort pets" to dodge fees. This example is what happens when people have zero regard for their animals, and therefore don't deserve to have any. A $125 fee is hardly an excuse for animal cruelty, and I hope these people have the book thrown at them. The fees are crazy, but shoving your pet into a suitcase and hoping it isn't killed by hypothermia, hypoxia, suffocation, or blunt force trauma is on a whole other spectrum.

While I'm sure it wasn't difficult to find the meowing (and probably very pissed off) bag, the individual(s) who found it deserves kudos for rescuing this cat from its horrendously stupid owners.

100% agree with you, if you give a damn about your pet, you don't stuff them into a suitcase where they'll likely freeze to death. I hope this cat can find a much kinder person to care for it. This has nothing to do with the carrier & all about the intelligence of this poor animals owners. I'd gladly pay a mere $125.00 to know my pet was handled as such & not a piece of baggage.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

ushermittwoch

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 am

Since it's a cat, they could have been "smart" about it and said that it had just made its way into the suitcase by itself and they just were in a rush to get to the airport, not noticing that the cat had jumped inside...
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

EA CO AS

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am

ushermittwoch wrote:
Since it's a cat, they could have been "smart" about it and said that it had just made its way into the suitcase by itself and they just were in a rush to get to the airport, not noticing that the cat had jumped inside...

Which is completely reasonable; I used to have to fish my cat out of my bag before zipping it up at home when packing for every vacation and business trip.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

flydude380

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I understand the cost of transporting a pet is high. However, we also need to realize that airlines are businesses. Not charities. And bunging an animal into the hold is not as simple as it sounds.

I also don't think that $125 (per way) is expensive and a means of crushing your cat!!

As an animal lover, this disgusts me!!

BREECH

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 pm

qf789 wrote:
A Florida couple have been caught trying to pack their pet cat in their checked luggage

Their children must've had an interesting flying experience growing up.
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

ltbewr

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 pm

Another good reason not to do this is who would want cat pee and poo in their luggage - yuck !
This is a criminal act of cruelty and they should be punished with a stiff fine or maybe stuffed into a closet filled with clothes for a few minutes so get an ideal how traumatic it can be. Sadly some people have no clue they are doing acts of cruelty when try to illegally transport of animals stuffed in baggage, are trying to avoid fees for special transportation of their pet or for having to put a carry on bag as a checked bag with fees they would have to so can carry on their pet in a bag.

BREECH

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm

ltbewr wrote:
This is a criminal act of cruelty

Just a criminal act? Why not call it "an act of canine terrorism"? A "suitcase massacre"? Or "the dog nazis"?

ltbewr wrote:
and they should be punished with a stiff fine or maybe stuffed into a closet filled with clothes for a few minutes so get an ideal how traumatic it can be.

It always amazes me how people who claim they are for "humane" treatment of animals are ready to go to quite some length to inflict similar or worse cruelty on people.
Sergey Dovlatov

kjeld0d

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

RamblinMan wrote:

Uhhh...okay then. For most people in a western country $125 is a nominal fee. If you can't afford to fly, don't make your cat suffer. Better still, give it to someone who can afford to keep it. $125 might cover a single vet checkup with no medications. What do they do when the cat gets sick? People shouldn't keep animals unless they have the time and money to devote to them.

ushermittwoch wrote:

Somehow I don't think we're dealing with Florida's "best and brightest".

RamblinMan

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

Uhhh...okay then. For most people in a western country $125 is a nominal fee. If you can't afford to fly, don't make your cat suffer. Better still, give it to someone who can afford to keep it. $125 might cover a single vet checkup with no medications. What do they do when the cat gets sick? People shouldn't keep animals unless they have the time and money to devote to them.

There's a lot of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck, $125 is 2 days wages for a good many. And it's far and above the cost the carrier incurs to transport a cat.

Highly inflated fees cause people to look for alternative "solutions."

kjeld0d

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

There's a lot of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck, $125 is 2 days wages for a good many. And it's far and above the cost the carrier incurs to transport a cat.

True, my solution would be to take a car or bus.

whisperjet727

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Living paycheck to paycheck also means there is the option of saying we just can’t affird to take this trip.

litz

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 pm

A caution here ... nowhere in the article does it say the couple admitted to intentionally packing the cat .. indeed, we haven't heard anything from them at all.

Anyone who has had a cat knows that the cat will end up in your suitcase at least once while you are packing it.

If you don't notice said cat in said suitcase, well ...

Let's hope it ends up being something as simple as this, and nothing more nefarious.

Although the fact that the cat somehow got to Pennsylvania in the first place does make one have to go hmmmmmmm

Antarius

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

If you can't fly your cat or pay the fees, find someone to cat sit. What next, the wife shoves the husband in the suitcase since 2 tickets are too expensive?

Pets and kids are a responsibility. They aren't like having buying a TV. Factor that shit in before choosing to get/have them.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

Antarius

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm

litz wrote:
A caution here ... nowhere in the article does it say the couple admitted to intentionally packing the cat .. indeed, we haven't heard anything from them at all.

Anyone who has had a cat knows that the cat will end up in your suitcase at least once while you are packing it.

If you don't notice said cat in said suitcase, well ...

Let's hope it ends up being something as simple as this, and nothing more nefarious.

Although the fact that the cat somehow got to Pennsylvania in the first place does make one have to go hmmmmmmm

http://www.fox13news.com/news/tsa-finds ... ed-luggage

Apparently it was on purpose, at least per this article.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

alfa164

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:45 am

BREECH wrote:
qf789 wrote:
A Florida couple have been caught trying to pack their pet cat in their checked luggage

They are both 21 years old, and travelling alone; they probably don't have children.

And, hopefully, never will... ;)

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 am

atcsundevil wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

Absolutely 100% correct.

CairnterriAIR

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 am

There is, obviously...the understanding that this is blatant animal cruelty. Even if the owners were not intending to harm their cat, they committed the act. There is also the safety issue here. The cat breaking out of the bag in flight and potentially injuring passengers or crew through biting or scratching...as well as the animal carrying contagious illnesses or parasites. Passengers carrying pets in the cabin must present at check in, a health certificate signed by a vet stating the animal has been seen 10 days prior and is fit to travel. If these folks were trying to avoid the fee, then I’m pretty sure they have not ponied up the $75.00 exam fee to the animal clinic. As for the fee to carry the pet aboard, considering checked bags and even carry on can cost a bit...this is really not a high price to pay considering most pet sitters charge up to $100.00 per day!

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 am

I did this a few years back when I was moving coming back to the USA from Germany. (Although, in my carry-on, not checked!)

I have one of those little bags made for cats or small dogs. I just put a newspaper over the side with the open mesh siding to conceal the cat, and carried her right on. I saved myself several hundred dollars, plus the cost of the vetinary documentation that I couldn't get quick enough when I needed to come home unexpectedly. (Wasn't going to throw my cat to the street)

When I flew her to Europe, I went through all the expenses of pet fees and veterinary documentation, but the airline never checked any of it when checked in, even though they knew I had her.

Almost got caught when checking in. I had the cat bag in a large plastic grocery bag. I put it on the floor behind me at the check-in counter... Heard something and looked back to see the bag jerking and thrashing about! Luckily the check-in agent was looking down at the computer and didn't notice. Then, once we got on the plane, with my luck, my seat had a small lap dog under the seat in front of her! I thought my cover was going to get blown, but luckily neither the cat or dog made a peep the entire ten hour flight, even though they were right next to each other under the seats in front of us.

If caught, I'd just play ignorant of the fees and agree to pay.

STLflyer

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 am

whisperjet727 wrote:
Living paycheck to paycheck also means there is the option of saying we just can’t affird to take this trip.

Exactly, making sure my dog is in good hands when I am gone is part of the cost of the trip, just like airfare, hotels, etc. If I couldn’t afford to board him, then I couldn’t afford the trip, period. Just like if I couldn’t afford the hotel, I couldn’t afford the trip. Hell, if money were tight, I would cheap out on my accommodations before I cheaped out on his.

ikramerica

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:04 am

EA CO AS wrote:
ushermittwoch wrote:

Which is completely reasonable; I used to have to fish my cat out of my bag before zipping it up at home when packing for every vacation and business trip.

I found a cat under my house. Turns out it was our new neighbor's brother's cat. The brother lived 2000 miles away. The cat had jumped in the uhaul and went for a 3 day ride to LA without anyone noticing.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Antarius

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:48 am

When my pa rents relocated to the US after many years as expats, we had to figure out how to bring my moms cat. This cat is special - has some magic bond with my mother and sister, barely tolerates my father and I and hates everyone else.

As a result, we figured the cat has to go in the cabin otherwise checked in would be a demon spawn. To this end, we found the specific aircraft with the specific seat type on the right day such that my mother could be with the cat and have no one else near them.

It takes effort. Always amazes me that people get pets (or have kids) without thinking it all the way thru.. it takes effort, sacrifice and adjustment. You can't just fling them into a suitcase.

I love animals, but given I'm gone every week or every other week, I simply can't have one and do them justice. Sucks, but I have to live vicariously through my friends and their pets.

BREECH

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:18 pm

alfa164 wrote:
BREECH wrote:
qf789 wrote:

They are both 21 years old, and travelling alone; they probably don't have children.

And, hopefully, never will... ;)

Maybe that's how they travelled but a few years ago. People rarely do things in public they aren't used to doing.
Sergey Dovlatov

UpNAWAy

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:53 pm

One of the reasons for high fees is to limit the number of pets. Do you folks really want to fly with 50 or 60 pets on every flight?

GE90man

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 am

Of course it’s florida...

AtomicGarden

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:34 am

When I travel leave my pet on someone's care. Flying a dog and specially a cat (who hate being moved around) is cruel even under standard condtions.

GE90man wrote:
Of course it’s florida...

Took long enough for someone to point out the state :lol:

kiowa

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 am

RamblinMan wrote:

So it is the airlines fault because they charge too much????

ThePointblank

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:50 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
One of the reasons for high fees is to limit the number of pets. Do you folks really want to fly with 50 or 60 pets on every flight?

Also add special handling requirements, and liability risk being assumed by the airline. All it takes is just one pet to die or is lost before massive legal bills start piling up.

VS4ever

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 am

UpNAWAy wrote:

I actually thought there was a limit on how many animals can be handled on a given flight, regardless of fee to the customer? anyone know this for sure?
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Runway28L

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 am

Plain and simple... if you want to travel somewhere but have pets, have nearby relatives take care of them while you're away. If not, have neighbors do it.

It unfortunately doesn't seem as simple as it sounds to some people.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos