KarelXWB
Topic Author

FAA grants single AOC to Alaska and Virgin America

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 am

Another herculean task is completed: Alaska Airlines can now operate the VX fleet under a single AOC.

The US Federal Aviation Administration has granted a single operating certificate to Alaska Airlines and Virgin America, a development that brings Alaska Air Group another step closer to fully merging the subsidiaries.

More than 110 staff from both carriers worked more than 70,000h to achieve the single operating certificate, reviewing some 39,000 pages of documents and 136 manuals and making some 1,500 policy changes, Alaska says.

Alaska expects in March to transfer Virgin's Airbus operations control centre to the Seattle location of Alaska's flight control center.

Article
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ca-444830/
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

LAX772LR

Re: FAA grants single AOC to Alaska and Virgin America

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 am

Well, the inevitable finally happened: we say bye-bye to VX as an operating entity.

They gave it an ...interesting... run.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

OA940

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Goodbye VX. You will be missed.
A350/CSeries = bae

AWACSooner

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm

When does the Redwood callsign merge into Alaska?

Polot

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
When does the Redwood callsign merge into Alaska?

Yesterday.

Bricktop

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

Listening to LiveATC for JFK approach I heard the Alaska call sign for a VX registration on FR24. Felt a bit odd. No more Redwood.

AirKevin

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 am

Bricktop wrote:
Listening to LiveATC for JFK approach I heard the Alaska call sign for a VX registration on FR24. Felt a bit odd. No more Redwood.

Heard JFK tower say Alaska with the pilot responding with Redwood earlier today.
Captain Kevin

RWA380

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 am

Nice job to all the VX & AS employees, the vast majority of the success with both carriers comes from the front line employees!
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

NWADTWE16

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 am

RIP Virgin America, I flew 37 segments on you and enjoyed top notch service in all three class, including 1 amazing first class trip with a well known publisher of adult content FLL-JFK, and another famous actress LAX-SFO who I happened to have the biggest crush on (I kept my cool lol). You flew me safely and with an edge above the others, that many say didn't exist but it did, to JFK/DCA/IAD/ORD/FLL/DAL/AUS/DEN/LAX/SAN/SFO/SEA & OGG. Thank you, your existence truly meant something, at least to me.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

jordanh

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:12 am

KarelXWB wrote:
Another herculean task is completed: Alaska Airlines can now operate the VX fleet under a single AOC.
The US Federal Aviation Administration has granted a single operating certificate to Alaska Airlines and Virgin America, a development that brings Alaska Air Group another step closer to fully merging the subsidiaries.

More than 110 staff from both carriers worked more than 70,000h to achieve the single operating certificate, reviewing some 39,000 pages of documents and 136 manuals and making some 1,500 policy changes, Alaska says.
Alaska expects in March to transfer Virgin's Airbus operations control centre to the Seattle location of Alaska's flight control center.

Article

I am not sure combining AS and VX was "Herculean"; Delta and Northwest, United and Continental, American and US Airways, LAN and TAM.... those were far larger and more complex entities.

Alaska and Virgin America were both niche carriers, and it remains to be seen whether the combined entity can climb above that level. Until then, we might want to consider it less than Herculean-like, and more like a Danny DeVito-sized result.

AirKevin

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 am

AirKevin wrote:
Bricktop wrote:

Heard JFK tower say Alaska with the pilot responding with Redwood earlier today.

And heard one JFK tower controller say Redwood-Alaska earlier today.
Captain Kevin

HPRamper

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:28 pm

jordanh wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:

Article

I am not sure combining AS and VX was "Herculean"; Delta and Northwest, United and Continental, American and US Airways, LAN and TAM.... those were far larger and more complex entities.

Alaska and Virgin America were both niche carriers, and it remains to be seen whether the combined entity can climb above that level. Until then, we might want to consider it less than Herculean-like, and more like a Danny DeVito-sized result.

Nobody was comparing merger sizes. It's not a measuring contest. Independent of comparisons, this was indeed a massive task, as it is every time. I'm sure those personnel who took care of the details didn't find it a minor task.
And it's sort of about time to stop calling Alaska a niche carrier. AS was larger than JetBlue even before this merger, and I rarely hear anyone from the East Coast call JetBlue "niche." There must be some impression Alaska is the West Coast Sun Country or something.

MO11

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm

The Alaska certificate was reissued with both airline names (Alaska and Virgin America). The same was done for AA and US, which was the first time I've ever seen that.

EA CO AS

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm

HPRamper wrote:
this was indeed a massive task, as it is every time. I'm sure those personnel who took care of the details didn't find it a minor task.

:checkmark:

Over 110 employees, totaling over 70,000 man hours, reviewing 346 operational topics across 136 different manuals (and analyzing over 39,000 pages of material) can’t be called anything less than a massive task.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

deltal1011man

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm

MO11 wrote:
The Alaska certificate was reissued with both airline names (Alaska and Virgin America). The same was done for AA and US, which was the first time I've ever seen that.

Probably makes it easier to hold onto naming rights is my guess.

MO11

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Probably makes it easier to hold onto naming rights is my guess.

Virgin America continues operate into April. Virgin America DOT certificate still active. This way it's not Virgin America operated by Alaska.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos