Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Planeyguy
Topic Author

Is a Airbus and Boeing joint venture possible.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 am

Is it possible to have both companies working together to compete against an emerging third competitor like the C929?

jubguy3

Re: Is a Airbus and Boeing joint venture possible.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 am

-_-

hz747300

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 am

Probably not likely I would think. Anti-competitive reasons to start, but then it is more likely that one would partner to work on the C929, etc..., to 'get a piece of the action'. I could see them collaborating on technologies, ie, along the safety lines that would benefit both companies. Interesting question to be sure!

zeke

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:39 am

A metric Boeing.....

Blerg

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:46 am

It's as likely to happen as AA ordering the SSJ.

DartHerald

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 am

I don't see why not, they have considered the possibility in the past I believe, although that was probably before Boeing realised that Airbus was their equal. It would have been the sensible way to go for a 747 replacement.

Flyglobal

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 am

I would see it only (very slightly) in case of a new VLA development and probably for military Projects or Special freighters (A225 replacement). But all would depend on the responsiilities and risks shared and here is probably the biggest hurdle.
Anyways, in cas of a suprising Agreement the plane should not either be called.Boeing or Airbus.

Flyglobal

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am

DartHerald wrote:
I don't see why not, they have considered the possibility in the past I believe, although that was probably before Boeing realised that Airbus was their equal. It would have been the sensible way to go for a 747 replacement.

The A380 followed a joint venture VLA project which Boeing pulled out of. I suspect that a lot of the anti-A380 back and forth stems from that moment - since Boeing had decided *not* to do a VLA they then turned all the PR against Airbus' plans and market projections etc... it's also "coincidentally" when the WTO claim against Airbus emerged,

KLDC10

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 am

If the coming products from China are as "superbly engineered" as the ARJ21, then I don't think Airbus and Boeing have much to worry about.

parapente

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm

As above there was a JV for the 747 replacement.
Now that both sides know the market is too small for one company it's not impossible (I suppose) for a JV to emerge again on an equal basis perhaps in 15 years time.
Both have (in the past) put forward Blended Wing designs in the 500-600 pax class.Perhaps with geared fan engines in the future they may talk.The economics of such a plane would make everything else look like a V8 gas guzzler!

autothrust

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Airbus offered to McD a share in the A340 programm. McD declined they preferred a three engine plane, which ironically was even less efficient at the end.

I don't think it is impossible we might see a A&B joint venture for a specific project sometime.

keesje

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Probably not on overlapping products. But there could be in other areas, e.g. helicopters, transport aircraft, trainers as long as there is a clear win-win.

glideslope

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Personally, I would love to see Airbus and Boeing work on a common result. Even a small venture. It's never too late to start preparing for the future.

brindabella

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:00 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
DartHerald wrote:

The A380 followed a joint venture VLA project which Boeing pulled out of. I suspect that a lot of the anti-A380 back and forth stems from that moment - since Boeing had decided " WRT the *not* to do a VLA they then turned all the PR against Airbus' plans and market projections etc... it's also "coincidentally" when the WTO claim against Airbus emerged,

Not sure about your timing.

I always understood that the WTO case was a consequence of B drawing a "line in the sand" WRT the A350 launch aid.

B's statement was that RLI for the A350 would draw a WTO challenge.

The French , German & UK Govts. came to the party with the cash - and the WTO case was under way.

cheers

william

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm

In a world where there unicorns and pixie dust, the only venture I see Boeing and Airbus even remotely thinking about a JV would be a new supersonic transport

william

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 pm

parapente wrote:
Now that both sides know the market is too small for one company it's not impossible (I suppose) for a JV to emerge again on an equal basis perhaps in 15 years time.
Both have (in the past) put forward Blended Wing designs in the 500-600 pax class.Perhaps with geared fan engines in the future they may talk.The economics of such a plane would make everything else look like a V8 gas guzzle
r!

Such talk gives EK the shakes, it would be a dream come true for them.

NameOmitted

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm

I could see them working together in launch systems. Perhaps a successor to the Sea Launch partnership.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 pm

brindabella wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:
DartHerald wrote:

The A380 followed a joint venture VLA project which Boeing pulled out of. I suspect that a lot of the anti-A380 back and forth stems from that moment - since Boeing had decided " WRT the *not* to do a VLA they then turned all the PR against Airbus' plans and market projections etc... it's also "coincidentally" when the WTO claim against Airbus emerged,

Not sure about your timing.

I always understood that the WTO case was a consequence of B drawing a "line in the sand" WRT the A350 launch aid.

B's statement was that RLI for the A350 would draw a WTO challenge.

The French , German & UK Govts. came to the party with the cash - and the WTO case was under way.

US request for info submitted to the WTO in October 2004...

https://docs.wto.org/dol2fe/Pages/FE_Se ... wt/ds316/1)&Language=ENGLISH&Context=FomerScriptedSearch&languageUIChanged=true#

Then going public in May 2005:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4594581.stm

But you're right that I got my timing slightly wrong - it was the US unilaterally withdrawing from the GATT agreement rather than Boeing unilaterally withdrawing from the VLA project. :lol:

So the claims are related to the A380 - but obviously intended to disrupt Airbus' response to the 787.

trex8

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Pre A380 and 747X IIRC Boeing approached all the Airbus principals- Aerospatiale, BAe etc about a VLA, I thought if my ancient memory is correct they were willing to work with the component companies of Airbus while it was still a GIE and not a single corporate entity but not with Airbus per se.

sassiciai

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:07 pm

I would frankly be horrified if A and B are not already collaborating. At the very least, each will have reps at all necessary and appropriate standards bodies, where they will sit together - with many others - in order to draw up industry-wide standards.

I would also suspect that there are fora looking well into the future where both will sit at the same table and contribute. I have no insight, but could imagine electric power, hydrogen power, ..... Seems that they went their separate ways on more recent battery options, for the 787 and 350 - maybe that was already "today's competitive technology", just a few years premature!

Best friends are often those who cannot work well or professionally together, while strong competitors often collaborate very well

There has been a steady flow in both directions between the USA and (initially) the UK and (more recently) the EU of military aircraft. Has Boeing been involved in any of these over the years - Canberra, Harrier, USM Hawk trainer, some helicopters, et all, and others that flowed the other way?

Anyway, I am 100% sure that the vast majority of technical/engineering/aeronautical staff in both companies have a great deal of mutual respect!

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Government and industry occasionally form a joint research and development project. But the results are normally shared across the entire industry. China and Russia would contribute to the project, and share in the results.

N328KF

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Airbus and Boeing cooperate on things like safety standards, and they also cooperate on things like labeling for spares (at the request of the customers.) The latter has its genesis in the early 2000s.

Planesmart

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 pm

N328KF wrote:
Airbus and Boeing cooperate on things like safety standards, and they also cooperate on things like labeling for spares (at the request of the customers.) The latter has its genesis in the early 2000s.

And through high tech subsidiaries at arms length.

The reality is every customer wants choice and competition. Every supplier wants domination, with boosted profits and lower R&D that follows. Every Government wants to be seen to please voters, maximise tax revenue, and minimise corporate dissatisfaction.

Seems more likely collaboration will occur for niche markets, such as the VLA at present.

PW and RR are working ever more closely together, in ad hoc projects and ways. Interesting how adversity can bring couples closer.

Kilopond

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 pm

zeke wrote:
A metric Boeing.....

:biggrin: Haha, NASA is almost completely working on a metric base. But at the other hand, European plumbers (yes, those ordinary guys) are strictly sticking with the inch (25,4 mm) system, as well as the bicycle industry and the planemakers. Airbus uses ("imperial") Unified Thread Standard (UTS) screws, nuts, bolts etc. instead of their metric ISO/DIN counterparts.

As others have mentioned above, the common Boeing/Airbus VLA project had failed at an early stage..

atypical

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 pm

parapente wrote:
Both have (in the past) put forward Blended Wing designs in the 500-600 pax class.Perhaps with geared fan engines in the future they may talk.The economics of such a plane would make everything else look like a V8 gas guzzler!

I wouldn't count on ever seeing a BWB design flying for anything but cargo. Theater seating mockups have derided by passengers and evacuations (particularly with water landings) are still unresolved. I think it will be a major engineering effort to come up with an effective pressurization envelope that can take the strains during the aircraft service lifetime.

Arion640

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:18 pm

This sounds very synical but it's been a joint venture since airbus hit 50% market share. Just an unofficial one. Look up duopoly.

Although A/B do compete on price, they'd be competing on price a lot more if it was C, D, E and F!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos