Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetskipper

Re: Indiana aviation thread - 2018

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:47 am

freakyrat wrote:
Here is something official from the South Bend International Airport reference the United Newark flight.

"We will be retaining the EWR service seasonally each fall. We will be putting out more information on this soon."

Unfortunately based on the other EWR cuts this week as well as United’s plan to make EWR an all mainline O/D airport it seem like this may be permenant.

freakyrat

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:26 pm

jetskipper wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
Here is something official from the South Bend International Airport reference the United Newark flight.

"We will be retaining the EWR service seasonally each fall. We will be putting out more information on this soon."

Unfortunately based on the other EWR cuts this week as well as United’s plan to make EWR an all mainline O/D airport it seem like this may be permenant.

Something else may give on this as the NYC area is SBN's Number One Business destination and Dalles is second. Delta has a 5yr old open RFP with DGS at SBN to service a daily SBN-JFK fight. With the introduction of the A220, this frees up a few CRJ900/E175's that can be used on other routes. They mainly wanted the flight to connect to their International bank of flights at JFK similar to the time they used the noonish flight to DTW on a CRJ900 for the same purpose. Could also try SBN-LGA if they can obtain slots for it.

UA could also comback with a SBN-IAD flight for East Coast and International connections when they get the regional flying realigned at IAD. Local United folks have asked for a replacement flight to IAD and also 2 daily E175 flights to DEN.

UA's plan to make EWR all mainline O/D may work or it may flop only time will tell.

freakyrat

Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 pm

jetskipper wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Most of the daily connecting passengers on the morning EWR flight were going to BOS, 10-15 per day. Dont know how many connect to BOS from Delta's flights thru DTW. This is interesting though Skywest as a Delta Connection could conceivably operate a morning CRJ SBN-BOS if the demand was there.

jetskipper

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Most of the daily connecting passengers on the morning EWR flight were going to BOS, 10-15 per day. Dont know how many connect to BOS from Delta's flights thru DTW. This is interesting though Skywest as a Delta Connection could conceivably operate a morning CRJ SBN-BOS if the demand was there.[/quote]

The problem with that is there are very limited connection opportunities from BOS on DL. You’d be flying a CRJ with 30 open seats. A city the size of SBN can’t expect to have non-stops to all major business markets.

freakyrat

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Most of the daily connecting passengers on the morning EWR flight were going to BOS, 10-15 per day. Dont know how many connect to BOS from Delta's flights thru DTW. This is interesting though Skywest as a Delta Connection could conceivably operate a morning CRJ SBN-BOS if the demand was there.

The problem with that is there are very limited connection opportunities from BOS on DL. You’d be flying a CRJ with 30 open seats. A city the size of SBN can’t expect to have non-stops to all major business markets.[/quote]

I know I was just posing this but I could see with the open RFP, DL operating a daily flight to the Big Apple. The NYC area is SBN's number one Business market followed by DFW, then AUS/SAT and Houston. The AA flights have Texas well covered.

Outside of this what SBN really needs is from the FAA. They really need a taller Control Tower. In the present one the controllers cannot see a lot of the airport.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:21 am

freakyrat wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

You’re more likely to get either LGA or JFK on a 200 than BOS. BOS is well outside the range that DCI is flying single class aircraft these days. NYC-SBN is already outside that distance. Hell SBN-ATL is one of the longest single class flights left

freakyrat

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

You’re more likely to get either LGA or JFK on a 200 than BOS. BOS is well outside the range that DCI is flying single class aircraft these days. NYC-SBN is already outside that distance. Hell SBN-ATL is one of the longest single class flights left

This flight most likely would be on a CRJ900 as the noon ATL flight is. Delta has a 5yr old open RFP with DGS at SBN for servicing a New York flight.

In the future all ATL flights will eventually go to all CRJ900's with DTW staying on 200's even with the Skywest maintenace base at SBN. Skywest can work on the 700's and 900's in SBN as well. They just flew two CRJ200's up to SBN from TUS. I don't know what that was for either a ferry flight or for maintenance so it really doesn't matter to OO if they take planes in for maintenance off regular flights that overnight in SBN or not.

One thing SBN needs is a ramp rebuild to take the slope out and new pavement. Delta is requesting upgrades to the ramp and facilities before they bring larger planes in for the ATL flights. The Airport wants them to bring the planes first but Delta says fix the facilities first and they are going back and forth on it. Delta recognizes that the loads to ATL are good enough for at least a combination of mainline and CRJ900 flights. It's just a matter of time before one side gives in.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 am

freakyrat wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

This flight most likely would be on a CRJ900 as the noon ATL flight is. Delta has a 5yr old open RFP with DGS at SBN for servicing a New York flight.

In the future all ATL flights will eventually go to all CRJ900's with DTW staying on 200's even with the Skywest maintenace base at SBN. Skywest can work on the 700's and 900's in SBN as well. They just flew two CRJ200's up to SBN from TUS. I don't know what that was for either a ferry flight or for maintenance so it really doesn't matter to OO if they take planes in for maintenance off regular flights that overnight in SBN or not.

One thing SBN needs is a ramp rebuild to take the slope out and new pavement. Delta is requesting upgrades to the ramp and facilities before they bring larger planes in for the ATL flights. The Airport wants them to bring the planes first but Delta says fix the facilities first and they are going back and forth on it. Delta recognizes that the loads to ATL are good enough for at least a combination of mainline and CRJ900 flights. It's just a matter of time before one side gives in.

There’s a reason the CR9 flight isn’t on OO, they don’t operate enough CR9s in Atlanta to do it. If it’s a CR9 to NYC or ATL, odds are it will be 9E, which is a good thing, in terms of operational metrics

freakyrat

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:49 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:

There’s a reason the CR9 flight isn’t on OO, they don’t operate enough CR9s in Atlanta to do it. If it’s a CR9 to NYC or ATL, odds are it will be 9E, which is a good thing, in terms of operational metrics

9E operates the Noon ATL flight. They could just as easily run an OO E170 to NYC.

freakyrat

Re: Indiana State Aviation: Part 16

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:56 pm

In April of Next Year Delta is dropping the CRJ900 off the noon flight to Atlanta but adding another ATL CRJ200 flight at 2:15 PM giving SBN 5 daily CRJ200 flights to ATL wgich would in effect add about 35 more seats to the market. SBN still may see bigger planes on this route.

jetskipper

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 pm

[list=][/list]
freakyrat wrote:
In April of Next Year Delta is dropping the CRJ900 off the noon flight to Atlanta but adding another ATL CRJ200 flight at 2:15 PM giving SBN 5 daily CRJ200 flights to ATL wgich would in effect add about 35 more seats to the market. SBN still may see bigger planes on this route.

I hope that doesn’t mean that DL doesn’t feel that’s SBN can’t fill a First Class cabin. Does anyone have the loads on AAs new CLT and DFW services? How full is First. Lass going out everyday?

freakyrat

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 am

jetskipper wrote:
[list=][/list]
freakyrat wrote:

I hope that doesn’t mean that DL doesn’t feel that’s SBN can’t fill a First Class cabin. Does anyone have the loads on AAs new CLT and DFW services? How full is First. Lass going out everyday?

Delta sometimes will change the noon flight to a CRJ900. I flew AA back to DFW on Tuesday Oct 9th and First was completely full and we only had 4 empty seats in the back. Coming up on the previous Saturday the flight was suppose to be open but same thing First was full and 5 or so empty seats in back so you cannot trust the AA seating charts when you put in a sample booking.

freakyrat

Re: Re: Indiana State Aviation: Part 16

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 am

Delta moves these CRJ900's around at SBN. SBN is gaining 24 extra seats daily by adding another flight. It's not that Delta cannot fill First

According to the local Delta folks the city wants bigger planes for the ATL flights and there is justification for them however Delta wants the ramp rebuilt (It needs it. It needs to be leveled out and strngthened) and better Jetbridges similar to the one on Gate 9 that Allegiant has.and also modifications to the Jetbridges that allow them to be raised up higher and still be in compliance with the ADA requirements. The Airport says Bring the planes fist Delta says the opposite.

American had the Airport paint all the inside doors in the concourse area grey as part of the deal to come in and the airport did it for them.

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 am

jetskipper wrote:
[list=][/list]
freakyrat wrote:

Not great

June
SBN-DFW-67.2%
SBN-CLT-71.7%
DFW-SBN-68.4%
CLT-SBN-70.6%
July
SBN-DFW-64.9%
SBN-CLT-73.9%
DFW-SBN-66.1%
CLT-SBN-73.6%

freakyrat

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
[list=][/list]
freakyrat wrote:

Not great

June
SBN-DFW-67.2%
SBN-CLT-71.7%
DFW-SBN-68.4%
CLT-SBN-70.6%
July
SBN-DFW-64.9%
SBN-CLT-73.9%
DFW-SBN-66.1%
CLT-SBN-73.6%

If my flights were any indication averages have come up from these. 70% is breakeven. It appears that the afternoon flights are the most popular. I am surprised at CLT. And of course ND Football weekends were great

freakyrat

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:27 pm

I've been told by the local people working these flights at SBN that loads have picked up and typically Monday, Friday, and Sunday are the fullest. This Friday for example loads are all above 80%. For your information FWA loads on AA are pretty much the same as SBN. LF's usually do not mean much as the yields per passenger do. I'm optimistic that these flights will turn out well but I wouldn't read much into the first two months load factors.

freakyrat

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 pm

freakyrat wrote:
I've been told by the local people working these flights at SBN that loads have picked up and typically Monday, Friday, and Sunday are the fullest. This Friday for example loads are all above 80%. For your information FWA loads on AA are pretty much the same as SBN. LF's usually do not mean much as the yields per passenger do. I'm optimistic that these flights will turn out well but I wouldn't read much into the first two months load factors.

For example, this Friday's 8:00 AM SBN-CLT flight is sold out as the AA website does not even show it available on a sample booking.

freakyrat

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:48 pm

https://flysbn.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... g-2018.pdf

Statistics for August. Enplanements up 43% over last year. American Airlines is adding to this.

SmithAir747

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Recently I noticed that some of AA's Envoy flights between ORD and FWA are on the 2-class CRJ-700; when did they start upgauging this route? I found out when someone booked me to fly DEN-ORD-FWA roundtrip for the end of November, and both my ORD-FWA and FWA-ORD (AA 3162 both directions) are on the CR7, 2-class. This is the second 2-class route to FWA I've seen so far, after the DFW-FWA CR9. Could other carriers serving FWA follow suit eventually with 2-class aircraft?

SmithAir747

SmithAir747

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:28 pm

When President Trump comes to Fort Wayne Monday for his rally, will he land at FWA in the AF1 747 or in the 757?

SmithAir747

FWAERJ

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
Recently I noticed that some of AA's Envoy flights between ORD and FWA are on the 2-class CRJ-700; when did they start upgauging this route? I found out when someone booked me to fly DEN-ORD-FWA roundtrip for the end of November, and both my ORD-FWA and FWA-ORD (AA 3162 both directions) are on the CR7, 2-class. This is the second 2-class route to FWA I've seen so far, after the DFW-FWA CR9. Could other carriers serving FWA follow suit eventually with 2-class aircraft?

SmithAir747

FWA-CLT is a CR7 on both flights nowadays. Only FWA-PHL does not see two class aircraft from FWA, and 60% of AA's departures from FWA are now on two-class aircraft. I'm surprised DL hasn't responded - the afternoon ATL flight that connects to the EU bank at ATL could benefit from a CR9 or E175.

Re: Air Force One: FWA's runway can easily handle a 747. Usually the Trump Organization-owned 757 is reserved for smaller airports that cannot handle a 747/VC-25A, but the VC-25A is used when possible. FWA has an 11,981 foot runway and a secondary 8,000 foot runway that often sees 747 training flights from UPS, both the -400F and the -8F.

SmithAir747

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 pm

FWAERJ wrote:
Re: Air Force One: FWA's runway can easily handle a 747. Usually the Trump Organization-owned 757 is reserved for smaller airports that cannot handle a 747/VC-25A, but the VC-25A is used when possible. FWA has an 11,981 foot runway and a secondary 8,000 foot runway that often sees 747 training flights from UPS, both the -400F and the -8F.

So, did he come in on the 747 today?

SmithAir747

freakyrat

Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:00 pm

A few weeks ago it seems that Skywest flew a couple of aircraft down from their SBN maintenance base to GUS, Peru, Indiana. I found out that there is an airliner paint shop operation based at the former Air Force Base.

COSPN

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 pm

GUS used to house the E4B (doomsday plane) during the Cold War... now they have a widebody paint shop 12,000 foot runway is the longest in Indiana and open to general aviation and airlines

jetskipper

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Hawaiian has painted some of their A330s there as well.

freakyrat

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:53 pm

freakyrat

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:11 pm

United will be operating a SBN-DFW Nonstop on Friday Dec. 28th to accommodate ND Football fans going to the Cotton Bowl on the 29th. This is in addition to American's 2 daily nonstops. Flight 5721 an E175 operated by Skywest will depart SBN at 1:35 PM and arrive DFW at 3:30 PM

SmithAir747

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm

FWAERJ wrote:
SmithAir747 wrote:

SmithAir747

FWA-CLT is a CR7 on both flights nowadays. Only FWA-PHL does not see two class aircraft from FWA, and 60% of AA's departures from FWA are now on two-class aircraft. I'm surprised DL hasn't responded - the afternoon ATL flight that connects to the EU bank at ATL could benefit from a CR9 or E175.

Thanks!

I saw later that Trump took the 757 into FWA for his visit that day.

I flew AA DEN-ORD-FWA on 29 November, and I got a complimentary upgrade on the ORD-FWA CR7 segment, making it the first time I ever flew into FWA in any kind of premium class. I flew back out from FWA on a CR7 on 2 December.

I like the new rental car layout at FWA, except for one thing: When I returned my car at FWA, all the parking bays in the rental area were full up, so I ended up parallel parking alongside the walkway (there were other returned cars parked that way) that leads from the car rental area to the terminal. I assume that's how it's normally done when the bays are full.

SmithAir747

freakyrat

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 pm

freakyrat wrote:

Enplanemnts up another 27% in October. SBN should easily top 360,000 enplanemnts for the year with a likewise amount of deplanements serving over 700,000 passengers this year.

https://flysbn.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... t-2018.pdf

jetskipper

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:23 pm

freakyrat wrote:
United will be operating a SBN-DFW Nonstop on Friday Dec. 28th to accommodate ND Football fans going to the Cotton Bowl on the 29th. This is in addition to American's 2 daily nonstops. Flight 5721 an E175 operated by Skywest will depart SBN at 1:35 PM and arrive DFW at 3:30 PM

Does anyone know what ND will be flying to Dallas? They usually bring out the big guns for the premier bowl games. I’d expect a DL A330 or 777-200 and an additional narrowbody for family and friends.

freakyrat

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 pm

jetskipper wrote:
freakyrat wrote:

Does anyone know what ND will be flying to Dallas? They usually bring out the big guns for the premier bowl games. I’d expect a DL A330 or 777-200 and an additional narrowbody for family and friends.

I would expect 2 A330's or B767's

FWAERJ

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm

SmithAir747 wrote:
FWAERJ wrote:
SmithAir747 wrote:

SmithAir747

Thanks!

I saw later that Trump took the 757 into FWA for his visit that day.

I flew AA DEN-ORD-FWA on 29 November, and I got a complimentary upgrade on the ORD-FWA CR7 segment, making it the first time I ever flew into FWA in any kind of premium class. I flew back out from FWA on a CR7 on 2 December.

I like the new rental car layout at FWA, except for one thing: When I returned my car at FWA, all the parking bays in the rental area were full up, so I ended up parallel parking alongside the walkway (there were other returned cars parked that way) that leads from the car rental area to the terminal. I assume that's how it's normally done when the bays are full.

SmithAir747

When it was announced that Trump would be flying into CGI immediately after FWA, I'm not surprised that he took The Trump Organization's 757 (though for security reasons, I'd prefer that he had taken the USAF C-32 version of the 757). CGI has a 6,500 foot runway, and I don't think the CGI runway can handle the VC-25A/747-200 Air Force One, much less the upcoming VC-25B/747-8I. A 757 can take off loaded from a 5,000 foot runway, even with SNA-type restrictions.

Apparently, FWA got new terminal signage as well. Haven't seen photos, but the old signage needed replacement (i.e.: Gates 1 through 4 being called commuter gates when Gate 4 handles G4 A32x).

jetskipper

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Looks like SBN-EWR will be coming back seasonally from August to December. Disappointing it’s not running beginning in the summer, but I guess it’s better than nothing.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/b ... cb32f.html

exFWAOONW

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

I thought Trump used the Air Force 757, at least it looked like it was blue as I drove by on Ferguson Rd. FWA was the 2nd of 3 stops that day. FWA has had 747s landing there since the 70s, as UA used it for touch and goes at night, long before 13-31 was extended.

SmithAir747

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
I thought Trump used the Air Force 757, at least it looked like it was blue as I drove by on Ferguson Rd. FWA was the 2nd of 3 stops that day. FWA has had 747s landing there since the 70s, as UA used it for touch and goes at night, long before 13-31 was extended.

Yes, Trump used the USAF 757. I asked on Facebook whether Trump would be using the 747 or 757 on his FWA stop. Someone posted a picture of the USAF 757 at FWA taken that day.

On a different topic but still related to FWA:

Has there been any more discussion or news on the future expansion of the FWA terminal? I was just there in late November/early December; everything that used to be next to the terminal has been moved farther away (car rental lot in a new location, FBO moved, hangar demolished, etc.). I haven't heard any more about terminal expansion plans or progress.

SmithAir747

freakyrat

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:18 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Looks like SBN-EWR will be coming back seasonally from August to December. Disappointing it’s not running beginning in the summer, but I guess it’s better than nothing.

This is all due to United's hair brain idea to move all small regional jet flying out of Newark over to Washington Dulles. Load Factors have always been good on these two daily flights with the afternoon flight mostly full. United is operating the Newark flight seasonally during Notre Dame Football season and it will be two flights per day. Local United folks are asking for a daily SBN-IAD flight to facilitate East Coast connections. I would anticipate daily NYC flyers to just move over to American's connections in CLT. United is adding another ORD flight but a lot of good that will do. The ideal flight solution at SBN for United would be SBN-ORD 4 times daily E145/CRJ200, SBN-DEN 2 times daily E175, SBN-IAD 1 flight daily E145/CRJ200, and SBN-EWR seasonal twice daily September-December and once daily March-August with an E145.

alancostello

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 am

freakyrat wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

This is all due to United's hair brain idea to move all small regional jet flying out of Newark over to Washington Dulles. Load Factors have always been good on these two daily flights with the afternoon flight mostly full. United is operating the Newark flight seasonally during Notre Dame Football season and it will be two flights per day. Local United folks are asking for a daily SBN-IAD flight to facilitate East Coast connections. I would anticipate daily NYC flyers to just move over to American's connections in CLT. United is adding another ORD flight but a lot of good that will do. The ideal flight solution at SBN for United would be SBN-ORD 4 times daily E145/CRJ200, SBN-DEN 2 times daily E175, SBN-IAD 1 flight daily E145/CRJ200, and SBN-EWR seasonal twice daily September-December and once daily March-August with an E145.

I wonder would this spur on the creation of an AA SBN-PHL flight, particularly if they see a big uptick on SBN-CLT

freakyrat

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:41 am

alancostello wrote:
freakyrat wrote:
jetskipper wrote:

I wonder would this spur on the creation of an AA SBN-PHL flight, particularly if they see a big uptick on SBN-CLT

Local folks handling the American Eagle flights have already been told by American to expect a PHL flight within the next 18 months. After a slow start both DFW and CLT flights are doing well with CLT slightly better. The afternoon flights especially fill up. The loads are very similar to FWA's on AA maybe a little better. After January we''ll see if United's Newark passengers move over to AA and connect in CLT.

jetskipper

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Per the SBN Facebook page. ND chartered a DL 777-200 for the trip to the BCS playoffs. Should be returning on the night of the 29th.

SQ22

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates in the new thread for 2019 which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1413053

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos