JHwk

Re: Hawaiian airports and aviation - 2018

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:43 am

Really hate the new numbering scheme... seems so arbitrary. Get rid of letters for baggage claim, add them to gates, reverse the historical gate numbering sequence. While they were at it I would have expected them to re-designate dropoff lobbies with random petroglyphs.

77H

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:16 am

usxguy wrote:
anyone have photos of the MW terminal?

Picture is worth a thousand words. I’ll just use one. Quaint.

77H

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 am

I'll use another.... it's shit. :)

The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

usxguy

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:18 am

that looks exactly like the Kona commuter terminal....... except for the ADA ramp
xx

Prost

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 am

At least it’s a double wide!

On closer inspection...Is that the old NWA inflight office?

77H

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 am

Prost wrote:
At least it’s a double wide!

On closer inspection...Is that the old NWA inflight office?

It’s a new build terminal. The original plan was a more substantial, permenant building but with WP shutting down I suppose the state didn’t think it was necessary.

I also believe this is a temp structure. I’d imagine it will be razed once the Diamond Head Concourse redevelopment occurs in a few years.

77H

jsnww81

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 am

JHwk wrote:
Really hate the new numbering scheme... seems so arbitrary. Get rid of letters for baggage claim, add them to gates, reverse the historical gate numbering sequence. While they were at it I would have expected them to re-designate dropoff lobbies with random petroglyphs.

Definitely sad to see these changes, even if they'll make things easier when construction finally starts on the fabled new concourses we've been hearing about for a decade. HNL gates have had the same numbering for 40+ years. I'll miss the old signage too... the great big Helvetica letters and the colored panels for each lobby and bag claim area were a great throwback. That's what all airport signage seemed to look like when I was a kid. At least we still have the wonderfully dated signage at OGG for a nice walk down memory lane. I flew through HNL last fall and actually took a lot of photos of the signs, for nostalgia's sake.

And these have been gone several years, but I still miss them...

tphuang

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:41 pm

Interesting news
https://skift.com/2018/12/05/hawaiian-a ... r-revenue/
looks like the increased capacity coming into the HI market is really hurting HA profits. And this is before WN entering the market. Looks like HA is going to have a lot of trouble next year.

77H

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:05 pm

tphuang wrote:
Interesting news
looks like the increased capacity coming into the HI market is really hurting HA profits. And this is before WN entering the market. Looks like HA is going to have a lot of trouble next year.

Unless another carrier backs down in the market in a meaningful way WN will face the exact same pressures as HA is today.

Perhaps this is why WN hasn’t provided a timeline to enter the HI market just yet. They may be waiting for the market to stabilize. They only have to wait for someone to budge. Though I expect the incumbent carriers to hold out as long as possible because no one will want to lose their marketshare position.

77H

wnflyguy

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm

77H wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Interesting news

Unless another carrier backs down in the market in a meaningful way WN will face the exact same pressures as HA is today.

Perhaps this is why WN hasn’t provided a timeline to enter the HI market just yet. They may be waiting for the market to stabilize. They only have to wait for someone to budge. Though I expect the incumbent carriers to hold out as long as possible because no one will want to lose their marketshare position.

77H

Only reason WN is not in Hawaii right now is because of the slow FAA ETOPS certification process.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

WPvsMW
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 pm

WN ETOPS is "close".
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... on-454179/

WN EVP Wells: "Southwest had committed to selling Hawaii flights by end-2018, and the airline is still holding to that goal, says Wells. But he also acknowledges that this could slip into the first quarter of 2019."
(note: "selling" vs. "flying")

and I get to say that I correctly predicted WN operating tags. "The airline has also said it will begin inter-island service with Hawaii, which will likely start months after flights launch from the US mainland."

It's likely I'll have to show my Premier Club card, since it "won't be on my boarding pass".

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos