CarbonFibre

Re: EasyJet is starting to fly from Berlin Tegel

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 pm

WDL appear to be using the old Austrian Airlines arrow as their new logo.

redcap1962

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
WDL appear to be using the old Austrian Airlines arrow as their new logo.

And I think it's not just me who asks himself why.... :banghead:
Did their CEO not know what its's all about with that logo?

AroundTheGlobe

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm

The arrow is the corporate sign of the new WDL owner: Zeitfracht Group.
A318, A319, A320, A321, A346, A388, B462, B733, B734, B735, B744, B74D, B74M, B748, B753, B763, B772, B77E, B773, B77W, B788, B789, CRJ2, CRJ7, CRJ9, CRJX, DH8A, DH8C, DH8D, E190, E195, F70, F100, MD11, RJ85, RJ1H

JamesCousins

Re: easyJet Operating 2 x Avro/BAe 146's?!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
JamesCousins wrote:
Taking a look on Planespotters it appears easyJet have leased 2 BAe 146 series aircraft from German WDL Aviaition as of January 2018. I did a quick google and couldn't find any news or information on this. Have easyJet won some sort of contract somewhere in Europe, that requires them to use the 2 German-reg? All a little confusing to be honest :shock:

Since it appears your question is related to EasyJet ops at TXL, I've merged your question into the existing discussion. You may find some answers here!

✈️ atcsundevil

Thanks atcsundevil, appreciate it! (Was unaware of this thread :D )

vfw614

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm

4h25m is extemely competitive in my book if you take into consideration how long it takes to get from Munich proper to MUC and how long it can take to get to/from central Berlin to TXL in heavy traffic. Add to that the time for security, boarding etc. + flight time and the train really is a no brainer. It will be even more so once TXL closes and flights go to BER.

TOGA10

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Wishing them all the best in TXL, hope they break the LH monopoly in Germany. I'm convinced they can live alongside each other, both getting a chunk of the market. As for the pax numbers, I agree with Anstar, give it some time. More competition is good for everyone, and if you don't like it, you still have the option of rail / LH or fly yourself on the Autobahn ;-).
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine. - Plato

MHG

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 am

vfw614 wrote:
4h25m is extemely competitive in my book if you take into consideration how long it takes to get from Munich proper to MUC and how long it can take to get to/from central Berlin to TXL in heavy traffic. Add to that the time for security, boarding etc. + flight time and the train really is a no brainer. It will be even more so once TXL closes and flights go to BER.

But this statement ignores the reality ... (at least in part)
Did you ever consider that by far not all passengers originate and/or terminate their journey in the resp. city centers ... ?
If you factor in the time one needs to get from surrounding areas to the departure airport and from arrival airport to final destination the gap will be significantly narrower - or even invert.
It all depends on individual circumstances.
But - of course - there´s no doubt that the new HSL will create a dent in airtravel demand.
It will shave off a higher share of the ("real") PTP-market.
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

vfw614

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Yes, of course I did consider that (as this argument is routinely brought up) and you are absolutely right that it dpeends on individual circumstances. But geographically, there can absolutely no doubt that Berlin central station and Munich central station are much closer to the final destination of the vast majority of people travelling to/from Berlin/Munich than the airports of those cities. This simply because they are smack-dab in the middle of the city centre and not tucked away in the northwestern or norther suburbs of the city in question, making the remaining distance to most locations in the city much shorter from the station than from the airport. So if the minority of those for whom the airport is closer than the railway station would have begun using the train instead of the plane, passenger numbers for the HSR would have increased even more.

We also must consider that an ICE train easily has the same capacity as 4-5 A320/321s. HSR can offer masive capacity.

r2rho

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:40 pm

4h25m is extemely competitive in my book

I am not doubting it is competitive, and will surely make a dent in air passengers. But I was comparing to other EU city pairs with both HSR and air service. At 4h25, air should still have the higher market share. On MAD-BCN, which is comfortably under 3hrs, HSR had 65% market share in 2017. Of course you have hubs on both ends (IB & VY) to take into account. PAR-MRS at 3hrs moves around 60-70% market share (hub only on PAR side). The 50% point seems to lie somewhere around 3h30. But it will be interesting to see the evolution on MUC-BER.
And I for one hope TXL stays open...

TC957

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Any chance of TXL-LGW coming ?

Bjm0517

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Bjm0517 wrote:
Hmm. This is odd, their a BUDGET airline, so why are they going into airports like Berlin Tegel!?!?

Unless you haven't been following the news, U2 took over some of AB's operations at TXL after they folded. And as stated by other posters, U2 does not focus on secondary airports like Ryanair does (although this is changing a little).

Article and photo here:
http://www.airportsinternational.com/2018/01/first-easyjet-flight-departs-berlin-tegel/19536

Oh. I wasn’t aware that they took over AB operations. That explains it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos