mjoelnir
Topic Author

EasyJet is starting to fly from Berlin Tegel

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:50 pm

http://www.zeit.de/wirtschaft/unternehm ... che-fluege

EasyJet is starting service from Berlin Tegel, TXL, to 19 destinations including 4 German destinations, DUS, FRA, MUC and STR. TXL will become the second biggest Easyjet base after Gatwick. Easyjet wants to be number one from Berlin.

f4f3a

Re: EasyJet is starting to fly from Berlin Tegel

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Will be good for those that like flying on random planes they have an assortment of wet lease aircraft doing the flying including 146 s

devron

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Indeed just booked a flight for next week saturday fra-tlx-fra 90 euro's

ScottishDavie

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 pm

It's probably wishful thinking but I wonder if there is any chance of them moving some of the UK flights from SXF to TXL? I adore Berlin as a city but direct flights from EDI only go to SXF which is beyond awful and I won't use it. The last time I went to Berlin I flew EDI-HAM and took the train.

Bjm0517

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Hmm. This is odd, their a BUDGET airline, so why are they going into airports like Berlin Tegel!?!?

AirbusOnly

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm

devron wrote:

This is only a dumping price, but never cost-covering. Call it an introductory prize for a short time. And - do they get slots at FRA?
They never ever can beat Lufthansa and its fantastic reputation - they will for ever stay the "cheapo"....
People who will use these can't check through their luggage to final destination f.e. as EasyJet has no international networks and will never
get it...things which will slow down the euphoria very fast....EasyJet will fail in German market connections ...maybe not at once but in
mid terms...Lufthansa and associated EURO-/GERMAN WINGS are too strong and know the market.

sevenair

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Bjm0517 wrote:
Hmm. This is odd, their a BUDGET airline, so why are they going into airports like Berlin Tegel!?!?

Convenient airports have always been core to the eJ model. AMS, MAD, BCN, MXP, LIN, FCO, CPH, VIE and not disused military airfields miles from the destination often accross a border. Today we even have Ryanair at FRA and numerous LCCs have used LHR over the years.
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

sevenair

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
devron wrote:

This is only a dumping price, but never cost-covering. Call it an introductory prize for a short time. And - do they get slots at FRA?
They never ever can beat Lufthansa and its fantastic reputation - they will for ever stay the "cheapo"....
People who will use these can't check through their luggage to final destination f.e. as EasyJet has no international networks and will never
get it...things which will slow down the euphoria very fast....EasyJet will fail in German market connections ...maybe not at once but in
mid terms...Lufthansa and associated EURO-/GERMAN WINGS are too strong and know the market.

Worldwide by easyJet is doing exactly that with Norwegian and Westjet with new airlines coming onboard and a close relationship with EK. With time it will be added to other hubs so I can see a time when bags will be through checked.
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

ScottishDavie

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:22 pm

Bjm0517 wrote:

Not in the slightest odd. Don't confuse Easyjet with Ryanair. Easyjet have a long track record of serving "main" airports - VIE, AMS, MAD, CDG, CPH, and many, many more. To give just a couple of German examples they have flown to MUC and HAM for years. Unlike Ryanair if Easyjet say they'll take you to Vienna they mean VIE and not BTS. Sooner or later BER will open (won't it?) and Easyjet are obviously positioning themselves for that day whenever it may come.

TupolevTu154

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
devron wrote:

Lufthansa and associated EURO-/GERMAN WINGS are too strong and know the market.

Of course easyJet will be the "cheapo", that's exactly what they're going for. They're not interested with competing with LH for prestige or connecting traffic or national pride, they're competing on price.

Germany needs competition, not the LH/EW monopoly that currently has a hold. I have spoken to countless regular travellers from Hamburg and not a single one of them is happy about the U2 base closing there, almost all of them mentioned a lack of competition and higher prices as a result.

As for chartered substitute aircraft, easyJet are using two WDL 146's (one -200 and one -300, mostly flying to Vienna), one Condor 753 (exclusively MUC) at least two Condor A321's and 5 SmartLynx A320's.

eicvd

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 pm

ScottishDavie wrote:
Bjm0517 wrote:

Not in the slightest odd. Don't confuse Easyjet with Ryanair. Easyjet have a long track record of serving "main" airports - VIE, AMS, MAD, CDG, CPH, and many, many more. To give just a couple of German examples they have flown to MUC and HAM for years. Unlike Ryanair if Easyjet say they'll take you to Vienna they mean VIE and not BTS. Sooner or later BER will open (won't it?) and Easyjet are obviously positioning themselves for that day whenever it may come.

The same Ryanair that fly to main airports like AMS, BCN, FRA, MAD, MUC?.......
COYBIB

tommyarias

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:04 pm

eicvd wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:
Bjm0517 wrote:

Ryanair only does it when there's no other alternative airport in reasonable distance, and when they do fly to main and secondary airports, it's in very odd timing or to very specific routes. Example: For Warsaw, they use WAW for one flight and WMI as their base. For Milan they use MXP for few flights and BGY for the majority. For Frankfurt is both FRA and HHN. Rome is FCO for a few and CIA for the majority. For Brussels is BRU for some and CLR for the majority. The worst is Barcelona, as they use BCN, GRO and REU for "Barcelona".

They don't want to miss that segment of the market that wants to fly to main airports instead of something in other cities and, some times, other countries.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

Delta777Jet

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Lots of millionaires flying Easy between the UK and south of France , why they should not fly domestic Germany? It will be a success story as long as they are reliable operational wise.
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-787-8/-9/DC-10-10/30/L1011-1/500/MD81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL18/ATR42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

Revelation

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 pm

ScottishDavie wrote:
Sooner or later BER will open (won't it?) and Easyjet are obviously positioning themselves for that day whenever it may come.

That was Air Berlin's strategy.

Hope eJ doesn't mind waiting!

Personally I think eJ will be around for the BER opening, presuming human civilization is still around too.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

BR715

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 am

Does anybody know which routes the leased 146 will fly? I've wanted to fly the type for quite some time but all U2 routes I can find in my area seem to be A319/320 only.
A319 A320 A321 B712 B738 B744 CS100 E195 F100
A3 AB BE EW FB FR HG LH LX NG OS U2 V7 VY

PhilInBRN

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:19 am

BR715 wrote:
Does anybody know which routes the leased 146 will fly? I've wanted to fly the type for quite some time but all U2 routes I can find in my area seem to be A319/320 only.

They will primarily serve ZRH and VIE from TXL. However, note that some SmartLynx A320s will also be used on these routes.
You might have to get in touch with EZY in order to ensure that the flight you're looking to book will be operated by the BAE.

SCQ83

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am

I am surprised they are keeping some routes at SXF.

For instance, TLV will be served from both SXF and TXL. Does it make a lot of sense? I would have expected them to consolidate "major" cities in TXL so that would open SXF to secondary new destinations like Zadar which was announced recently.

sevenair

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:35 am

eicvd wrote:
ScottishDavie wrote:
Bjm0517 wrote:

That’s a fairly recent development.

AMS wasn’t served by FR. U2 have operated there for 20 years.

BCN was exclusively Girona or Reus. U2 have served BCN for over 20 years

FRA is recent and Hahn was marketed as Frankfurt. It was their only Frankfurt airport

MUC Memmingen was Ryanair’s ‘Munich’ airport.

Ryanair are/were rightly renowned for serving secondary airports. Serving primary airports has been part of the eJ philosophy since day one. It’s a relatively new concept for Ryanair.

They’ve flown to (since they started the routes. They didn’t just suddenly switch like FR):

ORY/CDG not BVA or Vatry
MXP/LIN not BGO
OSL not Torp
VIE not BTS
CPH not MMX
GLA not PIK
VCE not Treviso
BRU not CRL

CarbonFibre

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 am

Booked the 753 & 146 a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully no changes !

mjoelnir
Topic Author

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 am

SCQ83 wrote:

For instance, TLV will be served from both SXF and TXL. Does it make a lot of sense? I would have expected them to consolidate "major" cities in TXL so that would open SXF to secondary new destinations like Zadar which was announced recently.

I assume they got a limited number of slots in TXL and will keep operating out of SXF.

The main point is we see LH is getting inner German competition from Easyjet out of Berlin, some routes will have 8 flights a day.

ro1960

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:03 am

Bjm0517 wrote:

Unless you haven't been following the news, U2 took over some of AB's operations at TXL after they folded. And as stated by other posters, U2 does not focus on secondary airports like Ryanair does (although this is changing a little).

Article and photo here:
http://www.airportsinternational.com/2018/01/first-easyjet-flight-departs-berlin-tegel/19536
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

aerokiwi

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:43 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
devron wrote:

Assuming you're not trolling... you sound like a European legacy carrier in 1995.

I wish Easyjet the best in Germany. They're a top notch airline that get the job done and are reasonably priced. I hope they thrive.

DominikR83

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 pm

FRA-TXL/SXF and MUC-TXL are very popular routes.Very much business traffic,but also some leisure traffic.
70-90 % don`t have any large bags also don`t need to check through any bags cause they are not going elsewhere.
So for all these people the price is an important factor. They don`t care that much about prestige or reputation.They just want to get from one city to the other as fast as possible.
So i`m absolutely sure that easyjet will be sucessful,at least on these two routes.

DunaA320

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Current wet lease fleet is

Condor
D-ABOB 753 is on MUC-TXL
D-AIAE 321 is on DUS-TXL
D-AICE 320 is on FRA-TXL

WDL
D-AWBA 146-3 is on ZRH-TXL
D-AMGL 146-2 is on VIE-TXL

SmartLynx ES-SAO/Q YL-LCN/S/T/U will be doing a variety of routes.

Also ex D-ABNS is currently being repainted in MPL for easyJet Europe.

WhiskyZulu

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Why is there a need for so many wet lease aircraft?

Didn’t the Air Berlin aircraft and crew transfer to easyJet?

Pe@rson

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 am

Assuming you're not trolling... you sound like a European legacy carrier in 1995.

Indeed he does. Which reminds me how I read years ago a Berlin politician or someone saying 'people in Berlin won't want low fares'. Lol
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sevenair

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:03 am

[quote="WhiskyZulu"]Why is there a need for so many wet lease aircraft?

Didn’t the Air Berlin aircraft and crew transfer to easyJet?[/quote

It’s not that simple. eJ have very high standards (despite what the LCC/Anglophobic haters claim). The first set of cabin crew were qualified this month. I believe the flight crew are still going through training.

eJ nainline craft will be based at TXL imminently staffed with crew from around the network before AB crews are released to the line.

anstar

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 am

WhiskyZulu wrote:
Why is there a need for so many wet lease aircraft?

Didn’t the Air Berlin aircraft and crew transfer to easyJet?

Firstly they needed to have the aircraft operating in order to secure the slots acquired with the purchase. Secondly all the Air Berlin crews need to be interviewed and meet easyjets recruitment standards. They then need to go through the easyjet training process. Given that there are around 700-800 cabin crew to re-train that will take several months. They also need to refit the aircraft to easyjet standards. Lets not forget its only 4 months or so since air berlin announced their liquidation and hence the offers would of been made. Its a very short turnaround to get the operation up and running hence the need to wetlease aircraft and crews for the first 6 months or so.

Ty134A

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 am

Anybody know the actual flight numbers the DE 753s are on MUC TXL, I can't find it out with EZYs webpage. The BAe is an easy fing with it's seat map. I would be greatful! There is too many EZY flights from TXL to MUC for one only 753!
flown on: TU3,TU5,T20,IL8,IL6,ILW,IL9,I14,YK4,YK2,AN2,AN4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80,M87,
AB4,AB6,318,313,342,343,345,346,712,703,722,732,735,741,742,743,74L,744,752,753,763,772,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,
142,143,AR8,AR1,SF3,S20,D38...,738,320

CarbonFibre

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

Seat choices are free on the cover aircraft. Look for those when booking.

stylo777

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

DunaA320 wrote:

WDL

Both 146s are currently operating for AF/Hop; so when are they going to join U2 ops?

CarbonFibre

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am

stylo777 wrote:
DunaA320 wrote:

WDL

Both 146s are currently operating for AF/Hop; so when are they going to join U2 ops?

11th Jan & 1st Feb.

vfw614

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Berlin will become easyjet's second largest operation after London with a total of, if I am not mistaken, 37 aircraft (25 at TXL, 12 at SXF). So a split operation is no surprise. Not sure if TXL could accommodate 37 based aircraft anyway. I suppose easyjet will operate from the "sheds" at TXL, so it is not a vastly superior experience to SXF. While the facilities at SXF are not really nice, TXL is not much better. Plus depending on where you need to head to in Berlin, SXF often is the better choice with its rail link. Depending on my final destination, I either travel via TXL or SXF. To be honest, I find it suprising that someone with final destination Berlin would travel via HAM instead of using SXF... It is like going to BHX to avoid a London airport.

Ty134A

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:05 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Seat choices are free on the cover aircraft. Look for those when booking.

There still is a problem: as far as I understand, there is only ONE 753 flying for EZY between MUC and DXB. The schedule shown wont allow rotating a single 753, and as you suggested, all seat selections for the following days are for free, so no indication on acft type either. So there must be other aircraft flying as well. This why the actual 753 flight numbers would be really helpful. Maybe somebody is in the know, as I am planning on VIE TXL MUC :-). Oh... never in my life I thought I would book Easyjet hahaha
flown on: TU3,TU5,T20,IL8,IL6,ILW,IL9,I14,YK4,YK2,AN2,AN4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80,M87,
AB4,AB6,318,313,342,343,345,346,712,703,722,732,735,741,742,743,74L,744,752,753,763,772,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,

XAM2175

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Haha I was just in Berlin to log the LH 744 but I could find an excuse to go back for a DE 753 if indeed any certainty could be had with the exact flights...

Ty134A

Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:26 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
Haha I was just in Berlin to log the LH 744 but I could find an excuse to go back for a DE 753 if indeed any certainty could be had with the exact flights...

There seems to be a plane leaving txl and one the same time muc. It would make sense that the 753 is the one leaving muc in the morning, but no guaranty on that...

CarbonFibre

Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Flew D-ABOB on U25565 this afternoon with about 20 other pax! Forward and aft sections were completely empty.

dodoma

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
    Flew D-ABOB on U25565 this afternoon with about 20 other pax! Forward and aft sections were completely empty.

Give them some time to establish their operations. It's only been a couple of days...

Ty134A

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm

[it seems the vie 142s are booked quite well... No interesting seats left the next few days. The next interesting flights will be EW and theit 343 from dus to vie. One has to catch all planes that are not 738 or a320srs. Man... How i miss the times of all those nice planes, and on top some bulgarian tu5. Damn, i still remember when the A310 was the thing, and now they're all gone more or less. Try to catch those 753s and 142s, you'll miss them when choiche comes to 738/320/787/330/350/777!!!!!!

r2rho

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 pm

I have spoken to countless regular travellers from Hamburg and not a single one of them is happy about the U2 base closing there, almost all of them mentioned a lack of competition and higher prices as a result.

Count me among them. LH /EW are currently making a killing on HAM-MUC and HAM-STR among others. I am surprised that U2 didn't use the opportunity of AB's demise to pick up the scraps in HAM and expand their presence there instead. Although AB's insolvency happened after the base closure <i>decision</i>, it happened well before the actual base closing and there was time to revert it.

This is only a dumping price, but never cost-covering.

That is correct, 90EUR return does not cover costs on German domestic, which is disproportionately higher taxed than EU flights, as it pays VAT plus double APD. For a sustainable operation, you need to charge above 100EUR return, aiming for 150EUR average ticket price or above. But this can be acheived via cheap promotional fares and, say, 300EUR last minute fares. That's what yield management is all about.

There is no room at either TXL nor SXF to accomodate the entire U2 operation in Berlin. Berlin is a large city in extension so that both aiports complement each other well. I expect SXF to specialize on leisure routes and TXL on higher-yielding ones.

CarbonFibre

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Ty134A wrote:
    One has to catch all planes that are not 738 or a320srs

It's good fun trying to avoid them when booking. Saying that, I still had to rely on a 4U A319 & UX 738 to get to/ from TXL & MUC !

I've also booked the EW A340 and in trying to avoid an A320/737 from VIE managed to get the WDL 146.

JamesCousins

easyJet Operating 2 x Avro/BAe 146's?!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:42 am

Taking a look on Planespotters it appears easyJet have leased 2 BAe 146 series aircraft from German WDL Aviaition as of January 2018. I did a quick google and couldn't find any news or information on this. Have easyJet won some sort of contract somewhere in Europe, that requires them to use the 2 German-reg? All a little confusing to be honest :shock:
    A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9

atcsundevil

Re: easyJet Operating 2 x Avro/BAe 146's?!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 am

JamesCousins wrote:
    Taking a look on Planespotters it appears easyJet have leased 2 BAe 146 series aircraft from German WDL Aviaition as of January 2018. I did a quick google and couldn't find any news or information on this. Have easyJet won some sort of contract somewhere in Europe, that requires them to use the 2 German-reg? All a little confusing to be honest :shock:

Since it appears your question is related to EasyJet ops at TXL, I've merged your question into the existing discussion. You may find some answers here!

✈️ atcsundevil

anstar

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 am

dodoma wrote:
    CarbonFibre wrote:

Give them some time to establish their operations. It's only been a couple of days...

Not only have they been operating less than a week - but lets not forget that they have only been selling the flights for the last 3 weeks as well and 16 weeks ago they were just submitting the offer to buy AB.

I'd expect the loads to be reasonably light through Jan/Feb as they just haven't had the usual time to sell the tickets.

Ty134A

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
    Ty134A wrote:
    One has to catch all planes that are not 738 or a320srs

It's good fun trying to avoid them when booking. Saying that, I still had to rely on a 4U A319 & UX 738 to get to/ from TXL & MUC !

I've also booked the EW A340 and in trying to avoid an A320/737 from VIE managed to get the WDL 146.

On 19th of february it's OS 767-300 to DUS and return A340-300. That's something nice!

Ty134A

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am

anstar wrote:
    dodoma wrote:
    CarbonFibre wrote:

Not only have they been operating less than a week - but lets not forget that they have only been selling the flights for the last 3 weeks as well and 16 weeks ago they were just submitting the offer to buy AB.

I'd expect the loads to be reasonably light through Jan/Feb as they just haven't had the usual time to sell the tickets.

Actually no. I did some bookings, and it was already hard to find flights mid February that still had reasonable window seats left. Since the seat reservation is free of charge, and one would assume that 60% or so reserve their seat, the flights must really be full. Tickets are only about 130 EUR a few days in advance (3 days or so). That is a very loud attack on LH!

vfw614

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am

I have spoken to countless regular travellers from Hamburg and not a single one of them is happy about the U2 base closing there, almost all of them mentioned a lack of competition and higher prices as a result.

The demise of airberlin created an opportunity for easyjet, but it also takes the manpower, infrastructure and a massive financial investment to pick it up. If I am not mistaken, setting up a 25 aircraft operation at TXL meant expanding the whole easyjet-operation within weeks by 10 per cent or so. That is a big challenge in itself and will stretch easyjets resources to the limits, be it in operations, marketing, human resources or maintenance. Adding another massive operation at HAM would simply have overstretched easyjet in my opinion - plus there could be another window of opportunity down in Italy sooner than later which might be more lucrative, given the well established operation down there.

FRA-TXL/SXF and MUC-TXL are very popular routes.Very much business traffic,but also some leisure traffic....So i`m absolutely sure that easyjet will be sucessful,at least on these two routes.

German Rail has increased passenger numbers between Berlin and Munich by 240 per cent within weeks of opening the new HSR link between the two cities. Given that each single train easily carries the same amount of passengers as 4-5 narrowbody aircraft, air travel will take a significant hit between these two cities. And it will be hit even harder once BER opens as both airports used for a BER-MUC flight will be out in the woods, making the train even more competitive.

leghorn

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 am

Easyjet advertising flights to Tegel on the radio this morning from other federal states. Didn't hear price being mentioned in advert which I think is intentional.
    What advertisement Ryanair does do in Germany mentions low fares e.g. €14.99 fares.

mjoelnir
    Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am

Perhaps it is also forgotten, that Easyjet is in the process of ramping up Easyjet Europe. They are moving frames out of the Easyjet fleet registered in the UK to the Easyjet Europe fleet and AOC registered in Austria. 30 frames have been moved over so far.
    5 of the 35 frames at Easyjet Europe come from Air Berlin. With 25 frames taken over with the Air Berlin deal, I assume further frames will be registered to Easyjet Europe, if they do not open Easyjet Germany.

r2rho

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:25 pm

German Rail has increased passenger numbers between Berlin and Munich by 240 per cent within weeks of opening the new HSR link.

Bookings have increased 2.4-fold in the month following inauguration, not by 240%.
    But let's look at the context: AB bankruptcy left a huge seat gap, which necesarily went to rail, since with LH flights fully booked there was no other alternative for travelers who value time. Has happened to me for example travelling on business - LH was offering flying via FRA on certain days due to fully booked flights, at which point you might as well take the train, which I did, adding to the train statistic. Even on the handful of days with a free seat, prices were sometimes so high that it was preferrable for my company to have me take the train, lose a day and book a hotel night. Another one for the statistic.
    The HSR also opened just before the Xmas holidays - by definition a busier time of year.

Currently we do not know how many are taking the train because they prefer it, or how many are taking it because they have no choice. The numbers are premature and are just a smart marketing move by DB.

DB also just refers vaguely to the overall route, without detailing if the bookings are only Munich-Berlin O&D, or also include pax getting on/off at Leipzig or Nürnberg. We don't know, and it seems no "journalist" has cared to ask, they simply copy-pasted the press release.

air travel will take a significant hit between these two cities.

The in-many-but-not-all-parts-high-speed rail will certainly make a noticeable dent in air travel, but U2 announcing 8x daily TXL-MUC is a good indication of how much they fear rail competition. Despite all the hype surrounding the inauguration of the new rail, Berlin and Munich are still 4h25 away - not at all comparable to PAR-MRS or MAD-BCN. By comparison with other EU city pairs, rail will grab a good share, but not enough to dominate.

I would love rail to take over, but 4h25 is just not good enough. Germany needs to do more.

And it will be hit even harder once BER opens as both airports used for a BER-MUC flight will be out in the woods, making the train even more competitive.

By the time, or if, that happens, and assuming the referendum (and opinions from independent experts) are ignored and TXL is shut down, U2 will have had plenty of time to make money and can then send the aircraft elsewhere, so they don't lose anything on this.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos