sdbravo
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:50 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 am

 
777Surfer
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:58 am

I filmed both the Air France and Luthansa flights from the North side of RWY27 (MCRD)

https://youtu.be/IeHYEykWLzs

https://youtu.be/8Q1a2ICxbhk
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Outstanding pictures and video guys!! Thank you both for sharing these - I LOVE them!! :D
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4477
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Here’s a couple photos I took. I had the day off but still had some time to rush down there for the arrivals. The Lufthansa diversion/delay worked in my favor as they arrived within minutes of each other.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqyNfkqHnij/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=rcagtpdvjcr9
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4477
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:53 pm

SANFan wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
I'm going away for a while. Going to give that island life a try. ;) I look forward to returning to a more mature SAN sometime in the future.

Aw man, I assume 'Aloha!' is called for here? Gonna miss you and your Nikon Ryan!

I hope you'll continue with A.net and keep us updated. Good luck and watch for falling coconuts! Please let us know if and when you return to SAN -- you'll be missed here

bb


Thanks Bob! I’m hoping my Nikon adapts to the new location. I think it will. :)

I’ll miss this big little airport despite the facility frustrations but I’ll still be lurking in this thread and like I said, I’ll be back (probably)!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks to all the photographers for the fantastic assortment of angles and POV for the pix and vids of the various landings yesterday! It's almost like it was deliberate for them to land within minutes of each other. (Too bad Speedbird couldn't get in on the action too.)

I hope the AF return to PAR (the 'public' flight) went out with a nice load of paying customers; no guarantee but it could help push AF in the direction of serving SAN regularly...

I guess the FIS facilities didn't get a good workout -- with 2 widebody arrivals almost simultaneously -- since apparently LH cleared customs in Vegas. It would have been a nice test to have 5-600 pax going thru all at once. Hopefully, we will have that opportunity sometime soon.

Still looking forward to someday seeing some pix from inside the terminal looking out at the parked foreign flags as they await their intercontinental departures.

Don't forget now, for those of you who missed yesterday's show, luckily there will be a repeat performance next Tuesday -- same airport, same characters, maybe different timing!

bb
 
GG22
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Great to see an A340-600 in SAN!

Anyone knows why it came in from Vegas?
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:46 pm

GG22 wrote:
Great to see an A340-600 in SAN!

Anyone knows why it came in from Vegas?


The official story we are hearing is that it was "weather related". I don't know if it was ATC-ordered, but landing at LAS was smart, in that both LH and AF touched down within a couple of minutes of each other. But since LH had already gone through customs, there was no need to flood that facility with two planes.
 
GG22
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
GG22 wrote:
Great to see an A340-600 in SAN!

Anyone knows why it came in from Vegas?


The official story we are hearing is that it was "weather related". I don't know if it was ATC-ordered, but landing at LAS was smart, in that both LH and AF touched down within a couple of minutes of each other. But since LH had already gone through customs, there was no need to flood that facility with two planes.


Thanks for your answer.
However, I guess that the LH pax would have ended customs at the time AF landed.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 pm

GG22 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
GG22 wrote:
Great to see an A340-600 in SAN!

Anyone knows why it came in from Vegas?


The official story we are hearing is that it was "weather related". I don't know if it was ATC-ordered, but landing at LAS was smart, in that both LH and AF touched down within a couple of minutes of each other. But since LH had already gone through customs, there was no need to flood that facility with two planes.


Thanks for your answer.
However, I guess that the LH pax would have ended customs at the time AF landed.


Had everything gone according to schedule, they would have cleared out one group in time for the next group. Japan Air Lines from NRT first, at 9:30 AM. Next comes 12:20 PM and 12:50 PM flights from Los Cabos (737's), followed by followed by FRA at 1:30 PM. leaving plenty of time for Air France's special flights, followed by British Airways later on.
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 pm

It was nice seeing AF here. Anyone have any idea how full the flight went out with SAN originating pax? Maybe we can hope for a regularly scheduled flight in 2020. Perhaps a stop in SAN on the CDG-PPT flight a couple of times a week would work.
Uncle SAN at your service!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:10 am

Coronado990 wrote:
It was nice seeing AF here. Anyone have any idea how full the flight went out with SAN originating pax? Maybe we can hope for a regularly scheduled flight in 2020. Perhaps a stop in SAN on the CDG-PPT flight a couple of times a week would work.


Image

If the 777-300 can get in and out of SAN to Europe, it certainly could do so to/from PPT. And if the 777-300 is too much for that route, the 787 could easily step in.

Certainly some day SkyTeam is going to have some kind of European presence in San Diego. Whether that's KLM to Amsterdam or AF to Paris, we'll see what happens after Lufthansa's incentive-program benefits terminate.

By the way, my mother flew AF LAX-CDG almost a dozen years ago, and although the service was fine, she was stuck in a seat with a box blocking her feet. Trying to sleep was horrible. Coming back was a different seat, so she enjoyed that. Do AF's 777-300's still have those god-awful boxes blocking the underside of some seats?
 
User avatar
gollumSD
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:11 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:
Looks like LH and AF are going to land within 10 minutes of one another? I hope someone gets footage!


Your wish is my command!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beK48zKjFXo&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomZu1_NqQM&t=0s

I lucked out in that the sun had burst through the clouds just before the Lufthansa A346 was about to appear over the clouds. Thankfully it dimmed significantly for both arrivals!!

I know there will be better quality videos soon enough, but seeing it in person is just awesome.


Thanks for sharing for those that couldn't be there!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
 
User avatar
Gocaclleta
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 pm

777Surfer wrote:
I filmed both the Air France and Luthansa flights from the North side of RWY27 (MCRD)

https://youtu.be/IeHYEykWLzs

https://youtu.be/8Q1a2ICxbhk


Thank you so much for sharing these!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Gocaclleta wrote:
777Surfer wrote:
I filmed both the Air France and Luthansa flights from the North side of RWY27 (MCRD)

https://youtu.be/IeHYEykWLzs

https://youtu.be/8Q1a2ICxbhk


Thank you so much for sharing these!


HOLY COW!! That's got to be the closest spotting location at SAN I've ever seen!! :O Thanks for sharing!!
 
DCAYOW
Posts: 545
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:24 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:25 am

SANFan: The LH flight did clear customs at SAN not LAS.

The AF flight SAN-CDG departed with about 85 ppl.
Retorne ao céu...
 
san747
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:03 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:10 pm

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-30nov18/

Is this an indication that the A340-600 is no longer going to be scheduled on a regular basis? Or will there be any A346 flying to SAN before March 31st?
Scotty doesn't know...
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:42 pm

DCAYOW wrote:
SANFan: The LH flight did clear customs at SAN not LAS.
The AF flight SAN-CDG departed with about 85 ppl.

Thanks for the updates DCA'. So even tho she was on the ground in Vegas for quite a while, they made everyone remain on the plane?

As to the load on SAN-CDG, I would regard a load of 85 as 'not bad'. It will be interesting to see how many come back on Tuesday.

san747 wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/281790/lufthansa-s19-san-diego-aircraft-changes-as-of-30nov18/
Is this an indication that the A340-600 is no longer going to be scheduled on a regular basis? Or will there be any A346 flying to SAN before March 31st?

Good find A, but what a bummer. It certainly says the 346 is no longer sked for next year. I wonder if they found out something about the 346 and SAN in the last couple of days that made them change their minds? (They did fly the 346 in two days in a row -- Wed and Thur -- so maybe some problem turned up that they weren't aware of?)

And they didn't add any frequency to the route either so I guess maybe things aren't doing as well as we had all hoped...

bb
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 pm

san747 wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/281790/lufthansa-s19-san-diego-aircraft-changes-as-of-30nov18/

Is this an indication that the A340-600 is no longer going to be scheduled on a regular basis? Or will there be any A346 flying to SAN before March 31st?


It sounded too good to be true. However, in the end, it is still Lufthansa, it is still a non-stop from FRA, and the numbers 466 and 467 belong to San Diego. My guess would be that the F-class demand that the use of the A340-600 requires hasn't fully matured here yet. BA started with 5x per week, then it became daily, and now it is upgauged to a 747-400. This route will mature, and eventually a replacement plane in the future will come along.

On a side note, Edelweiss Air is showing flights from Zurich to San Diego only through mid-September. Didn't they do this in 2017 for 2018 as well, and then announced a schedule extension?

https://booking.flyedelweiss.com/en-ch/search?action=AUTOSEARCH&calendarStart=SEP19&origin1=ZRH&destination1=SAN&origin2=SAN&destination2=ZRH&adult=1

We're hoping to go to Europe in early fall, and end in Switzerland, flying home on this flight. I thought this year the schedule was extended into late October...anyone know?
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

You guys in SAN get the next LH A 340-600 today. D-AIHD just departed FRA to SAN, flight time is calculated with 11 h and 20 min, ETA 12:50 pm (hope it will fly nonstop this time and not make a stop-.over at LAS again)
https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH5Y/1ec2078d
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 pm

D-AIHD will landing in around 15 min. from now..without diversion!
 
777Surfer
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 pm

LH466 rwy 27 arrival today 12/4.

https://youtu.be/3kTdG9G9q2U
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 am

I just noticed on AS's website the following news:

Travel to/from San Diego (SAN)

Starting January 29, 2019, all Alaska Airlines flights will operate out of Terminal 2 East
On that date, you will find our ticket counters, kiosks, gates, curbside check-in, and baggage office in their new locations in Terminal 2 East.

(Link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/advis ... advisories )

At least we now have a date of the move. No mention anywhere of a Board Room. Still no idea of how many gates AS will have access to. I guess we'll learn more details over the next 2 months.

There is some work going on at the west end of the T1W ticket lobby so I suppose the cx that are due to take over that area will remodel and move following AS vacating T1.

bb
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:39 am

SANFan wrote:
I just noticed on AS's website the following news:

Travel to/from San Diego (SAN)

Starting January 29, 2019, all Alaska Airlines flights will operate out of Terminal 2 East
On that date, you will find our ticket counters, kiosks, gates, curbside check-in, and baggage office in their new locations in Terminal 2 East.

(Link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/advis ... advisories )

At least we now have a date of the move. No mention anywhere of a Board Room. Still no idea of how many gates AS will have access to. I guess we'll learn more details over the next 2 months.

There is some work going on at the west end of the T1W ticket lobby so I suppose the cx that are due to take over that area will remodel and move following AS vacating T1.

bb


Will this area become exclusive to Southwest after the move? My last understanding was that the Hawai'i flights were going to depart out of T1 West - is this still the case?

I haven't seen a plan or document anywhere of the official construction start of the new Terminal 1 at the east end of the airport. I've seen proposals, but nothing recent. Any word?
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I just noticed on AS's website the following news:

Travel to/from San Diego (SAN)

Starting January 29, 2019, all Alaska Airlines flights will operate out of Terminal 2 East
On that date, you will find our ticket counters, kiosks, gates, curbside check-in, and baggage office in their new locations in Terminal 2 East.

(Link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/advis ... advisories )

At least we now have a date of the move. No mention anywhere of a Board Room. Still no idea of how many gates AS will have access to. I guess we'll learn more details over the next 2 months.

There is some work going on at the west end of the T1W ticket lobby so I suppose the cx that are due to take over that area will remodel and move following AS vacating T1.

bb


Will this area become exclusive to Southwest after the move? My last understanding was that the Hawai'i flights were going to depart out of T1 West - is this still the case?

I haven't seen a plan or document anywhere of the official construction start of the new Terminal 1 at the east end of the airport. I've seen proposals, but nothing recent. Any word?


Last Update I heard WN is taking ALL of the gates at T1W and making a completely new Ticket counter. Gates 1,1A and 2 will only be used for Remote RON aircraft parking.
This will give WN 15 gates at SAN Until The new T1 is built.
Gates 1,1A and 2 will only be used if WN needs more space for growth and the if new T1 keeps getting further delayed.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
ibthebigd
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:04 am

Sucks having to go thru Security again if you are connecting.

The average traveler going say BNA-SAN-HNL only has a 45 layover which is fine for most Southwest stations could miss Connection to HNL because the travelers didn't know they would have to reclear Security.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Scooter
Posts: 874
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 1999 12:18 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:14 am

SANFan wrote:
Starting January 29, 2019, all Alaska Airlines flights will operate out of Terminal 2 East
On that date, you will find our ticket counters, kiosks, gates, curbside check-in, and baggage office in their new locations in Terminal 2 East.


That's sooner than I expected! I'm flying AS out of SAN on Jan 30th, so it'll be interesting...
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing obnoxiously-detailed trip reports.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:48 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Will this area become exclusive to Southwest after the move? My last understanding was that the Hawai'i flights were going to depart out of T1 West - is this still the case?
I haven't seen a plan or document anywhere of the official construction start of the new Terminal 1 at the east end of the airport. I've seen proposals, but nothing recent. Any word?

As far as I know, the EIS hasn't even been accepted yet. With everyone in the city and local government entities now getting involved in the T1 rebuild, I have no idea what kind of timeframe may result. It certainly isn't going to move any earlier, that's for sure. This whole thing is starting to get a bit scary.

wnflyguy wrote:
Last Update I heard WN is taking ALL of the gates at T1W and making a completely new Ticket counter. Gates 1,1A and 2 will only be used for Remote RON aircraft parking.
This will give WN 15 gates at SAN Until The new T1 is built. Gates 1,1A and 2 will only be used if WN needs more space for growth and the if new T1 keeps getting further delayed.
Flyguy

Wow! First I've heard this rumor but given the situation I mentioned above -- possible delay in the rebuild of T1? -- it might just make sense. If any major growth potential for WN is still years away, giving them 15-18 gates immediately seems like the least the airport can do.

I've reported previously that WN currently shows 130 daily departures sked for SAN next June and that doesn't include any possible new Hawaii service that could actually begin sometime next year! I've also noticed that the cx rumored to be moving into T1W after AS leaves -- at least NK and B6 -- now seem to have nice, comfortable locations in T2W. I think G4 may remain in T2E working around AS's flights so that leaves F9 as the unkn. Perhaps they will stay where they are now -- T1W -- and coexist with WN?

I have only one other comment about WN taking over all of T1: they sure as hell better figure out a way to run a constant shuttle bus between the east and west concourses in T1 for connecting pax, somehow eliminating the need for those pax to have to break security and re-clear TSA!

If WN is still using some gates in T1W, there should be remodeling going on. To anyone flying out of T1W, please let us know if there are signs of growing WN presence there; after all, AS will be gone from T1 in about a month and a half!

bb
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:04 am

SANFan wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Will this area become exclusive to Southwest after the move? My last understanding was that the Hawai'i flights were going to depart out of T1 West - is this still the case?
I haven't seen a plan or document anywhere of the official construction start of the new Terminal 1 at the east end of the airport. I've seen proposals, but nothing recent. Any word?

As far as I know, the EIS hasn't even been accepted yet. With everyone in the city and local government entities now getting involved in the T1 rebuild, I have no idea what kind of timeframe may result. It certainly isn't going to move any earlier, that's for sure. This whole thing is starting to get a bit scary.

wnflyguy wrote:
Last Update I heard WN is taking ALL of the gates at T1W and making a completely new Ticket counter. Gates 1,1A and 2 will only be used for Remote RON aircraft parking.
This will give WN 15 gates at SAN Until The new T1 is built. Gates 1,1A and 2 will only be used if WN needs more space for growth and the if new T1 keeps getting further delayed.
Flyguy

Wow! First I've heard this rumor but given the situation I mentioned above -- possible delay in the rebuild of T1? -- it might just make sense. If any major growth potential for WN is still years away, giving them 15-18 gates immediately seems like the least the airport can do.

I've reported previously that WN currently shows 130 daily departures sked for SAN next June and that doesn't include any possible new Hawaii service that could actually begin sometime next year! I've also noticed that the cx rumored to be moving into T1W after AS leaves -- at least NK and B6 -- now seem to have nice, comfortable locations in T2W. I think G4 may remain in T2E working around AS's flights so that leaves F9 as the unkn. Perhaps they will stay where they are now -- T1W -- and coexist with WN?

I have only one other comment about WN taking over all of T1: they sure as hell better figure out a way to run a constant shuttle bus between the east and west concourses in T1 for connecting pax, somehow eliminating the need for those pax to have to break security and re-clear TSA!

If WN is still using some gates in T1W, there should be remodeling going on. To anyone flying out of T1W, please let us know if there are signs of growing WN presence there; after all, AS will be gone from T1 in about a month and a half!

bb


WN also had a few issues with over crowding T1E during irregular ops. To the point where TSA actually has to stop processing people until a few flights board up.
The additional gates will release some much needed stress in the high daily gate usage.
The handful of connections WN pushes thru SAN is small than most mega cities.
Having the T1W will make it easier to have the limited connections banked into the same rotunda.
SAN biggest airline in the smallest space only makes sense for SAN to temporary accommodate WN until a new T1 can be built.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 am

SANFan wrote:
Just thought I'd mention something recently posted on a new JAL thread. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1387465

It was suggested (reliability unknown) that SAN-TYO might be in line for an upgrade to the 787-9, which seats 239 pax in 3 classes -- 28/21/190. There was really no time frame given but the discussion was about impending world-wide JL expansion.


I was talking to a neighbor today who just got back from Japan a few days ago and takes this flight a couple times per year. He said (I don’t know where he heard it or if he heard anything about timing) that the flight will be changing to the 787-9. So it seems this idea hasn’t died out yet.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:14 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Just thought I'd mention something recently posted on a new JAL thread. Here's the link: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtop ... &t=1387465

It was suggested (reliability unknown) that SAN-TYO might be in line for an upgrade to the 787-9, which seats 239 pax in 3 classes -- 28/21/190. There was really no time frame given but the discussion was about impending world-wide JL expansion.


I was talking to a neighbor today who just got back from Japan a few days ago and takes this flight a couple times per year. He said (I don’t know where he heard it or if he heard anything about timing) that the flight will be changing to the 787-9. So it seems this idea hasn’t died out yet.


Checking with seatguru, this is the capacity on JL's 787 fleet:

JL 787-8 (current): 42 Business, 144 Economy (186 total)

JL 787-9 (version 1): 44 Business, 35 Y+, 116 Y (195 total, +9 extra passengers)
JL 787-9 (version 2): 52 Sky Suites, 35 Y+, 116 Y (203 total, +17 extra passengers)

Neither version is a major upgrade on passenger capacity (at least in JL's layout), so my guess would be it would be cargo capacity that's driving most of the change.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/by-the-numbers-boeing-787/

Two extra pallets of freight can fit inside the 787-9, while offering roughly the same operating economics.
 
musashino
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:36 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Just thought I'd mention something recently posted on a new JAL thread. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1387465

It was suggested (reliability unknown) that SAN-TYO might be in line for an upgrade to the 787-9, which seats 239 pax in 3 classes -- 28/21/190. There was really no time frame given but the discussion was about impending world-wide JL expansion.


I was talking to a neighbor today who just got back from Japan a few days ago and takes this flight a couple times per year. He said (I don’t know where he heard it or if he heard anything about timing) that the flight will be changing to the 787-9. So it seems this idea hasn’t died out yet.


Checking with seatguru, this is the capacity on JL's 787 fleet:

JL 787-8 (current): 42 Business, 144 Economy (186 total)

JL 787-9 (version 1): 44 Business, 35 Y+, 116 Y (195 total, +9 extra passengers)
JL 787-9 (version 2): 52 Sky Suites, 35 Y+, 116 Y (203 total, +17 extra passengers)

Neither version is a major upgrade on passenger capacity (at least in JL's layout), so my guess would be it would be cargo capacity that's driving most of the change.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/by-the-numbers-boeing-787/

Two extra pallets of freight can fit inside the 787-9, while offering roughly the same operating economics.


Starting 31Mar2019, NRT-SAN will be upgraded to an new config E12 Sky Suite (C30Y156=186) vs the current E03 Shell Flat Neo (C30Y176=206).
Both are still 787-8s with the new config the same as the new NRT-SEA route which will also start on 31st Mar.
The C42Y144 Config still showing up on seatguru is long gone as these frames have been reconfigured to E03 a few months back.

JL's 787s / 789s can be divided into 6 seat configs:
1. 788 E12 BEA Apex C30Y156: NRT SEA/SAN (starting 31 Mar 2019)
2. 788 E11 BEA Apex C38P35Y88: HND-LHR/PEK/CAN / NRT-SYD/MEL/DFW/DME/CGK/BKK/HEL
3. 788 E03 Zodiac Aries C30Y176: NRT-SEA/SAN/YVR + Intra-Asia Routes
4. 789 E92 Zodiac Aries C28P21Y190: NRT-HNL/MNL
5. 789 E91 Zodiac Aries C52P35Y116: NRT-KUL/CGK/DEL/PVG/HNL
6. 789 E71 BEA Apex C44P35Y116: NRT-BOS/DFW/FRA/HEL/HAN/SYD

Now the info above might change once JL officially releases their S19 schedule sometime mid-January next year.
For JL's latest seat config / aircraft refer here: --> https://www.jal.co.jp/en/5931/seatmap/seatmap.html
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 pm

musashino wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:

I was talking to a neighbor today who just got back from Japan a few days ago and takes this flight a couple times per year. He said (I don’t know where he heard it or if he heard anything about timing) that the flight will be changing to the 787-9. So it seems this idea hasn’t died out yet.


Checking with seatguru, this is the capacity on JL's 787 fleet:

JL 787-8 (current): 42 Business, 144 Economy (186 total)

JL 787-9 (version 1): 44 Business, 35 Y+, 116 Y (195 total, +9 extra passengers)
JL 787-9 (version 2): 52 Sky Suites, 35 Y+, 116 Y (203 total, +17 extra passengers)

Neither version is a major upgrade on passenger capacity (at least in JL's layout), so my guess would be it would be cargo capacity that's driving most of the change.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/by-the-numbers-boeing-787/

Two extra pallets of freight can fit inside the 787-9, while offering roughly the same operating economics.


Starting 31Mar2019, NRT-SAN will be upgraded to an new config E12 Sky Suite (C30Y156=186) vs the current E03 Shell Flat Neo (C30Y176=206).
Both are still 787-8s with the new config the same as the new NRT-SEA route which will also start on 31st Mar.
The C42Y144 Config still showing up on seatguru is long gone as these frames have been reconfigured to E03 a few months back.

JL's 787s / 789s can be divided into 6 seat configs:
1. 788 E12 BEA Apex C30Y156: NRT SEA/SAN (starting 31 Mar 2019)
2. 788 E11 BEA Apex C38P35Y88: HND-LHR/PEK/CAN / NRT-SYD/MEL/DFW/DME/CGK/BKK/HEL
3. 788 E03 Zodiac Aries C30Y176: NRT-SEA/SAN/YVR + Intra-Asia Routes
4. 789 E92 Zodiac Aries C28P21Y190: NRT-HNL/MNL
5. 789 E91 Zodiac Aries C52P35Y116: NRT-KUL/CGK/DEL/PVG/HNL
6. 789 E71 BEA Apex C44P35Y116: NRT-BOS/DFW/FRA/HEL/HAN/SYD

Now the info above might change once JL officially releases their S19 schedule sometime mid-January next year.
For JL's latest seat config / aircraft refer here: --> https://www.jal.co.jp/en/5931/seatmap/seatmap.html


Wow, that is really cool - we get to be one of two test markets with this new seating! Thanks for the information!

I wonder what version of the 787-9 they would use if this becomes the standard for the market...
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm

Moderators, if this is considered inappropriate, please take it down. It is truly going up with only good intentions.

http://www.circulatesd.org/airport?fbclid=IwAR2jUWJrdIyuuGNS5ggT783izF3F2S94SnCPHZkKT6F6G70lLEtvshK5fc4

If anyone is willing or able to add their voice to persuade the San Diego Airport Board to do the not-only-smart-but-right thing to do and improve the mass-transit options for SAN, here's your opportunity. There's a pre-filled letter that just requires a click; however, as you might imagine, I included my own. And surprise, surprise, I'm quoting it here:

With the greatest of humility, I implore you and the board to please add a trolley/mass transit system, as indicated by the example in the picture, to our airport.

Our city reached the tipping point towards becoming a true global city many years ago, leaving behind being a sleepy spoke on domestic airlines' route networks. We are no longer "at the end of a cul-de-sac from Los Angeles", as once stated; we now have our own economic gravity, with inter-continental non-stops to/from London Heathrow, Tokyo Narita, Frankfurt, Zurich, with more on the horizon. Terminal 2 West and the new international terminal set a standard now for form, functionality, and simplicity. I'm sure all new portions of the airport will meet or exceed this standard, and the airport will continue to meet the travel needs that will allow our population to flourish.

To that end, however, we cannot create a world-class airport and then allow access to it become gridlocked, simply because planners skipped one final part: the mass transit.

Cities all over the United States are becoming more and more aware that mass transit that connects multiple forms of mass transit means fewer automobiles in places they would rather not be if there are easier alternatives. For example, SFO airport received an expensive but incredibly convenient connection to BART, which is proving its worthiness in reduced traffic in the region. Los Angeles is building an expensive but necessary train line from LAX to downtown, connecting with Union Station, which further connects with MetroLink and Amtrak (and multiple buses!). MSP's tramway line connects the airport to downtown Minneapolis, and is hugely popular, and even remote Denver's airport is getting a train connection.

As an amateur city planner, I have studied transportation systems for fun. And without disruption to traffic or any of the flow at the airport, it should be obvious that the mass transit connections are incredibly close and easily accessible, and has the potential for further expansion. As an example, the tram line could even extend westward beyond Terminal 2 West for further parking needs, and the new Terminal 1 could be built around this tramway, with stops already planned giving the airport outside-security access to the entire airport, as well as inter-modal transportation centers and passenger auto drop-off/pick-up points convenient to Interstate 5 access, both north and south, as well as Coaster and maybe even Amtrak.

What makes this particular option so wonderful is that it is ENTIRELY within our reach. Millions upon millions of dollars are saved just because of how little land and right-of-way need to be acquired - most of this is on the grounds of the airport. Further, there are buses running constantly to/from the terminals and the rental car facility - the demand is undeniably there, and an environmentally-friendly trolley-like train service is the only viable option.

Ladies and gentlemen, we had the option to do this years ago, and action was not taken. More than 22 million people used SAN in 2017, and today, traffic on Harbor Drive and through Grape/Hawthorne and Laurel Streets clogs up the area 24/7/365, while the San Diego Trolley, The Coaster, and Amtrak all come so tantalizingly close, but sadly don't connect.

We must fix that. We must make the right choice. We must invest in multiple modalities of transportation choices to connect our world-class airport to our world-class communities. We must be able to show our future generations that we know how to fix a mistake, and make getting around much easier.


Probably a bit over-dramatic, but urban planning is another hobby of mine.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks to all for the discussion and the updates.

It'll be nice to see some kind of change from JL; they've been flying here for about 6 years now -- which is wonderful! -- and it's nice to see something different, even if it turns out to not be a huge upgrade in pax capacity. There are lots of factors the carrier needs to consider constantly and I'm just happy that JL appears happy with their SAN service.

On this thread, we don't have too many opportunities to talk about JL. They're always here, 365 days a year I believe, and reliable and consistent and we tend to accept them as part of the scenery at SAN. They still have their niche all to themselves -- Asia, a rather notable niche! -- and it's great that things are going well.

bb
 
redrooster3
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:27 pm

I think United is bringing in a 777 for the Holiday Bowl this year...can't confirm it yet. I don't know of any other charter operations from other carriers yet.
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:28 pm

[quote="PSAatSAN4Ever"]Moderators, if this is considered inappropriate, please take it down. It is truly going up with only good intentions.

http://www.circulatesd.org/airport?fbclid=IwAR2jUWJrdIyuuGNS5ggT783izF3F2S94SnCPHZkKT6F6G70lLEtvshK5fc4

If anyone is willing or able to add their voice to persuade the San Diego Airport Board to do the not-only-smart-but-right thing to do and improve the mass-transit options for SAN, here's your opportunity. There's a pre-filled letter that just requires a click; however, as you might imagine, I included my own. And surprise, surprise, I'm quoting it here:[quote]

Hello PSAatSAN4Ever,

To truly become world class city, I believe that extending the trolley tracks from Laurel St. should be built on a dedicated right-a-way to Terminal 1 & 2 and new Airport Express trains (equipped with room for luggage) should operate an abbreviated version of our existing system. For example, The Green Line can originate at the El Cajon Transit Center and go via Old Town to the Airport Terminal 1 & 2 every 30 minutes. The new UTC Blue Line Airport Express from the north could operate every 30 minutes giving the Old Town Transit Center an every 15 minute headway to the Airport.

The Orange Line would originate in La Mesa to the Airport via the Imperial Transit Center and downtown every 30 minutes as well as the Blue LIne from San Ysidro and the International border. This would give downtown from the Imperial TC to the Airport via the Santa Fe Station an every 15 minute headway replacing the existing Route 992.

The operation would require 15 dedicated cars (plus spares). Fly-Away park-and-rides could be constructed at key locations.

The problem is the extra crossings the new Airport Express trains would create at road level. We don't have a subway system and the Airport Express trains would add four extra crossings per hour outside the core of the city and eight extra crossings from Old Town to the Airport and Downtown Transit Centers to the Airport. The corridor from Laurel St to Terminal 1 & 2 would end up having 16 trains an hour (or about every 7-8 minutes each way) so the extension would need to be elevated to not interfere with North Harbor Drive traffic.

If this could be figured out, I think it would be the way to go.
Uncle SAN at your service!
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1383
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Thought you guys might be interested in this, which someone posted on the Indianapolis thread:

Image

ORF-SAN ranks #3 in top markets flown on Delta via ATL. So in 2017, 23,487 passengers had an ORF-ATL-SAN (or SAN-ATL-ORF) itinerary--which is about 65 passengers per day. And that's just on Delta alone.

With that in mind, I'm quite surprised that Southwest only wanted to start up with just 1x weekly on their new ORF-SAN route. 65 daily pax may not seem like a lot to fill up a Boeing 737, but obviously other airlines are likely transferring passengers from ORF to SAN through their hubs as well. It seems like this route can be quite successful, and with significant military connections in both cities, it makes sense.
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:01 am

FA9295 wrote:
Thought you guys might be interested in this, which someone posted on the Indianapolis thread:

ORF-SAN ranks #3 in top markets flown on Delta via ATL. So in 2017, 23,487 passengers had an ORF-ATL-SAN (or SAN-ATL-ORF) itinerary--which is about 65 passengers per day. And that's just on Delta alone.

With that in mind, I'm quite surprised that Southwest only wanted to start up with just 1x weekly on their new ORF-SAN route. 65 daily pax may not seem like a lot to fill up a Boeing 737, but obviously other airlines are likely transferring passengers from ORF to SAN through their hubs as well. It seems like this route can be quite successful, and with significant military connections in both cities, it makes sense.


Thanks a lot for this FA9'. Interesting. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe DL currently holds the GSA contract for SAN-ORF; that would explain the healthy numbers!

Keep in mind though, 65 pax/day becomes 37 PDEW, and this was for 2017. The latest TL PDEW in the ORF-SAN market was for 2Q18 and was 168 so there are obviously lots of pax flying alternate routes than via ATL, probably on all major cx.

bb
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:52 am

SANFan wrote:
Thanks a lot for this FA9'. Interesting. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe DL currently holds the GSA contract for SAN-ORF; that would explain the healthy numbers!


Correct. Delta has it for both FY2018 and FY2019.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos