OKCDCA
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:50 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 am

texdravid wrote:
No plans for SAN-OKC/TUL?


Oklahoma route could work!

Wait and see if F9 brings back OKC seasonally, otherwise maybe AS on a 175 to OKC but chances are that's even a stretch...
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm

SANFan wrote:
The carrier with the GSA contract for ORF-SAN would be the logical one to offer nonstop service but that hasn't happened ever. It is probably a matter of costs and yields on a transcon where a large percentage of the pax are traveling on a fairly cheap government fare. Maybe that will change somehow now that WN has taken the first step...


With connecting service, WN would essentially have to be the lowest bidder against other airlines' connecting service. But price isn't the only factor, schedule and nonstop matters too, so with a well-scheduled daily nonstop flight (with additional connecting options), WN should be able to capture the contract for the route even if they aren't the lowest bid (as long as they're not too much higher).

I use BWI as an example because I'm familiar with it. In the few years before WN had a SAN-BWI nonstop, the contract was held by United or Delta. I think that was also a period when WN wasn't bidding on GSA city pair contract fares. But once they started the nonstop and started bidding on city pair fares again, they've won that route every year. The same could well happen with SAN-ORF.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 am

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The carrier with the GSA contract for ORF-SAN would be the logical one to offer nonstop service but that hasn't happened ever. It is probably a matter of costs and yields on a transcon where a large percentage of the pax are traveling on a fairly cheap government fare. Maybe that will change somehow now that WN has taken the first step...


With connecting service, WN would essentially have to be the lowest bidder against other airlines' connecting service. But price isn't the only factor, schedule and nonstop matters too, so with a well-scheduled daily nonstop flight (with additional connecting options), WN should be able to capture the contract for the route even if they aren't the lowest bid (as long as they're not too much higher).

I use BWI as an example because I'm familiar with it. In the few years before WN had a SAN-BWI nonstop, the contract was held by United or Delta. I think that was also a period when WN wasn't bidding on GSA city pair contract fares. But once they started the nonstop and started bidding on city pair fares again, they've won that route every year. The same could well happen with SAN-ORF.


I remember in years past there was discussion on why no one was doing a one-stop ORF-XXX-SAN. Still no reason WN couldn't do this through STL or BNA or a multitude of other places. However, in the end, perhaps the numbers just aren't there to justify this.

But then again, I'm always hopeful someone from our neck of the woods out here would get us our DCA non-stop back!
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:23 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The carrier with the GSA contract for ORF-SAN would be the logical one to offer nonstop service but that hasn't happened ever. It is probably a matter of costs and yields on a transcon where a large percentage of the pax are traveling on a fairly cheap government fare. Maybe that will change somehow now that WN has taken the first step...


With connecting service, WN would essentially have to be the lowest bidder against other airlines' connecting service. But price isn't the only factor, schedule and nonstop matters too, so with a well-scheduled daily nonstop flight (with additional connecting options), WN should be able to capture the contract for the route even if they aren't the lowest bid (as long as they're not too much higher).

I use BWI as an example because I'm familiar with it. In the few years before WN had a SAN-BWI nonstop, the contract was held by United or Delta. I think that was also a period when WN wasn't bidding on GSA city pair contract fares. But once they started the nonstop and started bidding on city pair fares again, they've won that route every year. The same could well happen with SAN-ORF.

Interesting stuff Hawaiian'. So you're saying that the GSA contract can sort of 'work backwards' -- provide the best service, along with a reasonable bid, and possibly win the contract? Hmmmm. Perhaps that's what WN is up to. (And AS could have done just as well.)

I mentioned earlier that this Sun-only nonstop on WN seems to be a test. (And I continue to think that freight between ORF & SAN might be a contributing factor to making the route work.) IF Southwest has success -- with both pax and cargo -- then maybe they will seriously go after the GSA contract and increase the service to daily, possibly even before they win the contract?

The schedule is not too bad:
Lv ORF 12:40pm #5177 Sun only (Begins June 9, 2019)
Ar SAN 3:00pm

Lv SAN 3:45pm #5741 Sun only
Ar ORF 11:50pm

As I mentioned in my reply #500, the DOT stats for Q1 & Q2 of 2018 show an average of 149 PDEW in the market which I say is a very good foundation for a nonstop flight. I have in the past guessed that there is leakage thru both IAD & BWI for those seeking nonstop service to SAN -- and again, probably for freight as well -- so I have no doubt that a nonstop between ORF and SAN would see more than enough pax (and freight) to make the flight viable.

I hope that WN will be watching this test service very closely and seriously and will go with a daily, year-round nonstop soon. I say 'bravo' to them for trying something that no one has done before. I can better understand why WN carries such a big chunk of SAN's traffic! (And my disappointment with Alaska increases...)

The more I think about this the more stoked I get. I will be following this experiment by WN with interest. I also like the fact that WN is actually attempting to make things a bit easier for the Navy personnel that move constantly between these 2 major military strongholds.

bb
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:01 pm

SANFan wrote:
hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The carrier with the GSA contract for ORF-SAN would be the logical one to offer nonstop service but that hasn't happened ever. It is probably a matter of costs and yields on a transcon where a large percentage of the pax are traveling on a fairly cheap government fare. Maybe that will change somehow now that WN has taken the first step...


With connecting service, WN would essentially have to be the lowest bidder against other airlines' connecting service. But price isn't the only factor, schedule and nonstop matters too, so with a well-scheduled daily nonstop flight (with additional connecting options), WN should be able to capture the contract for the route even if they aren't the lowest bid (as long as they're not too much higher).

I use BWI as an example because I'm familiar with it. In the few years before WN had a SAN-BWI nonstop, the contract was held by United or Delta. I think that was also a period when WN wasn't bidding on GSA city pair contract fares. But once they started the nonstop and started bidding on city pair fares again, they've won that route every year. The same could well happen with SAN-ORF.

Interesting stuff Hawaiian'. So you're saying that the GSA contract can sort of 'work backwards' -- provide the best service, along with a reasonable bid, and possibly win the contract? Hmmmm. Perhaps that's what WN is up to. (And AS could have done just as well.)

I mentioned earlier that this Sun-only nonstop on WN seems to be a test. (And I continue to think that freight between ORF & SAN might be a contributing factor to making the route work.) IF Southwest has success -- with both pax and cargo -- then maybe they will seriously go after the GSA contract and increase the service to daily, possibly even before they win the contract?

The schedule is not too bad:
Lv ORF 12:40pm #5177 Sun only (Begins June 9, 2019)
Ar SAN 3:00pm

Lv SAN 3:45pm #5741 Sun only
Ar ORF 11:50pm

As I mentioned in my reply #500, the DOT stats for Q1 & Q2 of 2018 show an average of 149 PDEW in the market which I say is a very good foundation for a nonstop flight. I have in the past guessed that there is leakage thru both IAD & BWI for those seeking nonstop service to SAN -- and again, probably for freight as well -- so I have no doubt that a nonstop between ORF and SAN would see more than enough pax (and freight) to make the flight viable.

I hope that WN will be watching this test service very closely and seriously and will go with a daily, year-round nonstop soon. I say 'bravo' to them for trying something that no one has done before. I can better understand why WN carries such a big chunk of SAN's traffic! (And my disappointment with Alaska increases...)

The more I think about this the more stoked I get. I will be following this experiment by WN with interest. I also like the fact that WN is actually attempting to make things a bit easier for the Navy personnel that move constantly between these 2 major military strongholds.

bb


Question about AS: do you think the costs of opening a new station on the east coast (ORF) and being able to fill enough flights to make it profitable is off of AS' radar right now? Southwest has been at ORF for a while, yes? The brand loyalty - in addition to the government contracts - just seems to me that it would work better for Southwest.

If SAN could get a DCA exemption - again (sigh!!) - I'd bet Alaska would be first in line with their application!
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:02 pm

SANFan wrote:
Interesting stuff Hawaiian'. So you're saying that the GSA contract can sort of 'work backwards' -- provide the best service, along with a reasonable bid, and possibly win the contract? Hmmmm. Perhaps that's what WN is up to. (And AS could have done just as well.)


Yes. Nonstop flights mean shorter flights and flight time is one of the factors. Another is “convienent” times which generally means during thpical working hours. WN’s ORF nonstop flight would be hurt here with a near midnight arrival. Similarly, AS’s original BWI flight being a red eye would have lost points as well, I thought they’d be making a play for the contract by moving it to a day flight but WN still won for FY19 (I don’t know if AS bid it or not).

https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book/tr ... ir-program
 
jplatts
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:41 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
If SAN could get a DCA exemption - again (sigh!!) - I'd bet Alaska would be first in line with their application!


I think that WN would be more likely to gain an beyond-perimeter exemption for SAN-DCA than AS since AS already holds 10 beyond perimeter slot exemptions at DCA whereas WN currently only holds 2 beyond-perimeter slot exemptions at DCA. WN also has a much bigger presence in the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI/DCA/IAD) than AS does, and WN also has a large customer base on the DC side to support SAN-DCA nonstop service.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:17 pm

jplatts wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
If SAN could get a DCA exemption - again (sigh!!) - I'd bet Alaska would be first in line with their application!


I think that WN would be more likely to gain an beyond-perimeter exemption for SAN-DCA than AS since AS already holds 10 beyond perimeter slot exemptions at DCA whereas WN currently only holds 2 beyond-perimeter slot exemptions at DCA. WN also has a much bigger presence in the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI/DCA/IAD) than AS does, and WN also has a large customer base on the DC side to support SAN-DCA nonstop service.


You're probably right. But as long as it becomes non-transferable to another airport, I'll take either carrier.

Not really worthy of a separate topic, a story from our local NBC affiliate about our mayor speaking out for a trolley line to the airport to go along with the new Terminal 1:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diego-Mayor-Pushes-for-Transportation-Options-for-Airport-500735922.html?fbclid=IwAR1kDGR62rk32fRTBO-C7caJOhD9SL3yRrN3l-XdOqUHTEJchV6h5mNRiYs

The OCD part of me that is a transportation junkie for city planning as well as trains and planes sprung into action. That's my four-step plan I detailed.

Yep, a part of me has crossed that line into CDO (OCD in its correct alphabetical order!).
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:49 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Question about AS: do you think the costs of opening a new station on the east coast (ORF) and being able to fill enough flights to make it profitable is off of AS' radar right now? Southwest has been at ORF for a while, yes? The brand loyalty - in addition to the government contracts - just seems to me that it would work better for Southwest.

Well, it sure does appear to be off AS's radar! That's why, just like with IND, RDU, TPA, PIT, AS stands there with nothing from SAN, while WN and even F9 run around grabbing those routes, plus others, for SAN.

But keep in mind, AS has had no issue opening PIT and CMH recently with only 1 route each -- SEA. Another new station, ELP, will open in February and will be served from SEA as well as SAN. I'm sure if AS started service at ORF, it would also be from SEA, hopefully along with SAN.

Yes, WN has been in ORF for a while but they don't have a huge operation there. I doubt that brand loyalty would be much of a factor.

hawaiian717 wrote:
Yes. Nonstop flights mean shorter flights and flight time is one of the factors. Another is “convienent” times which generally means during thpical working hours. WN’s ORF nonstop flight would be hurt here with a near midnight arrival. Similarly, AS’s original BWI flight being a red eye would have lost points as well, I thought they’d be making a play for the contract by moving it to a day flight but WN still won for FY19 (I don’t know if AS bid it or not).

You're right and I'm sure WN would adjust the times of their flights if they took them daily. (The times now are accommodating a single a/c one day a week making a quick flight from Norfolk out to CA, turning around in :45, and heading back to Virginia. (I often think that WN deliberately skeds these test flights at awful times -- if they get bodies on board at these times, think what a nicely timed flight would attract!)

You know, AS moved their BWI flight to daytime for a brief period and now (due to limited RON parking at SAN) it's back to a red-eye. (And 'coincidentally', in January, the red-eye timed flight will only be op'ing 5 times a week... I kind of doubt they even bothered bidding on it for GSA.

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
If SAN could get a DCA exemption - again (sigh!!) - I'd bet Alaska would be first in line with their application!

Regarding DCA service, almost every month, at the SDCRAA Board Meeting, there is a report on government actions (both state and federal) that affect SDIA. Things such as FAA funding and regulation changes, bills that affect airport operations etc., are reviewed. Almost every time a federal bill of any kind is reviewed, there is a sentence included which states, in effect, "There is nothing in this bill that would affect SAN's ability to obtain Beyond-Perimeter service to Ronald Reagan Airport (DCA.)" Things (opportunities) are being very closely monitored by SDIA!

In other words, SDIA is still VERY committed to getting nonstop service to DCA and, IMO, most SDCRAA board members are still quite ticked off at AA for their actions regarding this issue! Unfortunately, at the current time, there appears absolutely nothing that can be done by SDIA to change the situation, short of them convincing AA, DL or UA to move their current flights to DCA from LA (AA, DL) or SFO (UA), to SAN. Chances of that happening are probably right up there with the chances of the Padres winning the World Series next year.

bb
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1418
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
jplatts wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
If SAN could get a DCA exemption - again (sigh!!) - I'd bet Alaska would be first in line with their application!


I think that WN would be more likely to gain an beyond-perimeter exemption for SAN-DCA than AS since AS already holds 10 beyond perimeter slot exemptions at DCA whereas WN currently only holds 2 beyond-perimeter slot exemptions at DCA. WN also has a much bigger presence in the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI/DCA/IAD) than AS does, and WN also has a large customer base on the DC side to support SAN-DCA nonstop service.


You're probably right. But as long as it becomes non-transferable to another airport, I'll take either carrier.

Not really worthy of a separate topic, a story from our local NBC affiliate about our mayor speaking out for a trolley line to the airport to go along with the new Terminal 1:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diego-Mayor-Pushes-for-Transportation-Options-for-Airport-500735922.html?fbclid=IwAR1kDGR62rk32fRTBO-C7caJOhD9SL3yRrN3l-XdOqUHTEJchV6h5mNRiYs

The OCD part of me that is a transportation junkie for city planning as well as trains and planes sprung into action. That's my four-step plan I detailed.

Yep, a part of me has crossed that line into CDO (OCD in its correct alphabetical order!).


Years ago called for a airport Line running in front of the airport then tunneling under Pacific Beach hill and popping back out heading to SeaWorld/Mission Bay park before heading up SeaWorld Dr to the Old town line. But plans were scrubbed In Favor by the Them political leaders of a New Joint use SDIA/MIRAMAR airport.(Which Failed)
Hopefully it will all happen sooner than later. But it's California so maybe in 20yrs.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
757SanCam
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:52 pm

Interesting development with UA here. Another topic in this forum on UA flight attendant bases has UA establishing one here. Wonder if that means increased presence for UA at SAN? Hope so!
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm

757SanCam wrote:
Interesting development with UA here. Another topic in this forum on UA flight attendant bases has UA establishing one here. Wonder if that means increased presence for UA at SAN? Hope so!

To the best of my knowledge, SkyWest has a crew base here which at least AS uses. I don't know if that would include UA as well; if so, perhaps that's what the rumor is about?

A mainline UA base here would be pretty slick. I remember earlier this year I think it was, someone on this thread reportedly sat next to (or something like that) the CEO of UA who was on his way to SAN -- reason unknown. Could that tie into this rumor?

UA certainly has a healthy number of flights in and out of Lindbergh so I suppose a flight attendant base wouldn't be a huge surprise although I assume that would put such bases in SD, LA and SF (at least.)

bb
 
redrooster3
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 am

SANFan wrote:
757SanCam wrote:
Interesting development with UA here. Another topic in this forum on UA flight attendant bases has UA establishing one here. Wonder if that means increased presence for UA at SAN? Hope so!

To the best of my knowledge, SkyWest has a crew base here which at least AS uses. I don't know if that would include UA as well; if so, perhaps that's what the rumor is about?

A mainline UA base here would be pretty slick. I remember earlier this year I think it was, someone on this thread reportedly sat next to (or something like that) the CEO of UA who was on his way to SAN -- reason unknown. Could that tie into this rumor?

UA certainly has a healthy number of flights in and out of Lindbergh so I suppose a flight attendant base wouldn't be a huge surprise although I assume that would put such bases in SD, LA and SF (at least.)

bb


Skywest has a crew base here, Delta has a 'Satellite' base here, and Alaska has a big crew base here. As far as UA in SAN, it looks pretty positive. The 757s with flatbeds on all EWR and some IAD flights I'm sure are making the premiers happy. And it seems to be staying that way throughout winter with the 757s.
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!
 
redrooster3
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Gate 46 and 47 will be the first gates in San Diego to have hydra fuel lines installed under the gates eliminating fuel trucks. Finally, our airport is becoming modern and standard. Gate 47 will become another 747/787/A350 capable gate.



Image


Image
They have laid the pipes already and poured concrete back but this photo shows the carvings into the gates to add these 12" fuel lines
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4477
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:54 pm

redrooster3 wrote:
Finally, our airport is becoming modern and standard.



I’m going away for a while. Going to give that island life a try. ;) I look forward to returning to a more mature SAN sometime in the future.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
redrooster3
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:09 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
redrooster3 wrote:
Finally, our airport is becoming modern and standard.



I’m going away for a while. Going to give that island life a try. ;) I look forward to returning to a more mature SAN sometime in the future.


You left right when WN was getting all the good ramp goodies, Lektros, Powerstows!
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
I'm going away for a while. Going to give that island life a try. ;) I look forward to returning to a more mature SAN sometime in the future.

Aw man, I assume 'Aloha!' is called for here? Gonna miss you and your Nikon Ryan!

I hope you'll continue with A.net and keep us updated. Good luck and watch for falling coconuts! Please let us know if and when you return to SAN -- you'll be missed here

bb
 
drmlnr1
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:33 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I think that WN would be more likely to gain an beyond-perimeter exemption for SAN-DCA than AS since AS already holds 10 beyond perimeter slot exemptions at DCA whereas WN currently only holds 2 beyond-perimeter slot exemptions at DCA. WN also has a much bigger presence in the Baltimore/Washington region (BWI/DCA/IAD) than AS does, and WN also has a large customer base on the DC side to support SAN-DCA nonstop service.


You're probably right. But as long as it becomes non-transferable to another airport, I'll take either carrier.

Not really worthy of a separate topic, a story from our local NBC affiliate about our mayor speaking out for a trolley line to the airport to go along with the new Terminal 1:

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diego-Mayor-Pushes-for-Transportation-Options-for-Airport-500735922.html?fbclid=IwAR1kDGR62rk32fRTBO-C7caJOhD9SL3yRrN3l-XdOqUHTEJchV6h5mNRiYs

The OCD part of me that is a transportation junkie for city planning as well as trains and planes sprung into action. That's my four-step plan I detailed.

Yep, a part of me has crossed that line into CDO (OCD in its correct alphabetical order!).


Years ago called for a airport Line running in front of the airport then tunneling under Pacific Beach hill and popping back out heading to SeaWorld/Mission Bay park before heading up SeaWorld Dr to the Old town line. But plans were scrubbed In Favor by the Them political leaders of a New Joint use SDIA/MIRAMAR airport.(Which Failed)
Hopefully it will all happen sooner than later. But it's California so maybe in 20yrs.

Flyguy

Regarding the joint use it would have opened up more options. I can’t remember where I saw it I saw something for an aerial tram that would connect the Santa Fe depot to SDIA. I think everyone involved in the airport needs to balance current needs with future needs aka future new airport
Flying is relaxing!
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm

BTW, there was a good article in the SD-UT the other day about the rebounding SD Cruise industry; here's the link:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bus ... story.html

I know some of us who live on this thread are aware of the tie-in between our cruise industry and the airport and for those, I recommend this read. The experts are predicting almost 300K cruise pax this season; and hopefully just under 350K in 2020. (The peak of the industry was back in '08 with a bit under a million cruise pax that year!)

As the cruises increase, this can't help but bring in more and more air pax, including international. Exciting stuff!

Hey, isn't it getting close to time for the AF flights and upgraded LH service due to that huge medical conference in SD? Hopefully see some familiar faces at the Laurel St spot?

bb
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:13 pm

SANFan wrote:
Hey, isn't it getting close to time for the AF flights and upgraded LH service due to that huge medical conference in SD? Hopefully see some familiar faces at the Laurel St spot?


Indeed it is. Lufthansa's web site shows an A340-600 on today's and tomorrow's flight. The Air France 777-300ER is tomorrow, too. Too bad rain is in the forecast.
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 pm

SANFan wrote:
Hey, isn't it getting close to time for the AF flights and upgraded LH service due to that huge medical conference in SD? Hopefully see some familiar faces at the Laurel St spot?

bb


I dont know. The way the weather looks, they might end up using the ILS on RWY 9 for arrivals. It will be interesting to see if they will have to depart that way.
Uncle SAN at your service!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:53 am

I have secured the day off for the opportunity to get video of both arrivals tomorrow from the European continent. If you are out and about tomorrow at the aviation museum area of Balboa Park, I'll be the one in my trust red hoodie patiently waiting for our special guests. Please say hi!
 
airevents
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:20 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:07 am

Hi Folks, I know this does not really belong here. I am a Lufthansa flight attendant about to leave on the flight to SAN. Would like to do some planespotting or picture taking at SAN over the next few days, during my layover. Where would you recommend I go? Anybody cares to join! Greetings and watch out for that 340-600 landing later today...
www.airevents.com
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:20 pm

airevents wrote:
Hi Folks, I know this does not really belong here. I am a Lufthansa flight attendant about to leave on the flight to SAN. Would like to do some planespotting or picture taking at SAN over the next few days, during my layover. Where would you recommend I go? Anybody cares to join! Greetings and watch out for that 340-600 landing later today...


Welcome to San Diego! It will be a bit hard to recommend places to go sightseeing today, what with the wind and rain, but this is still an incredible city!

I would recommend you make your way to Balboa Park to the aviation museum (it's really cool!) and scout out locations you find scenic. Look for a guy in a red hoodie, and that'll probably be me - especially if he's filming the landings!!
 
User avatar
Coronado990
Posts: 1368
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:12 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:52 pm

What I like about San Diego is that our airport is right on the bay in the middle of the city with hills surrounding it. You can't help being a plane spotter even if you're not into planes.
Uncle SAN at your service!
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4750
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Update: as of ~7:45am Thursday, LH466 is now sked to arrive SAN early at 12:51pm (with an on-time departure at 3:05pm.)

AF302 is also early (as of now) sked to land at 3:36pm; on time departure of flight 303 is still at 6:05pm.

For those interested in seeing the trifecta, (747) Speedbird is running late today - flight BA273 is now sked to arrive SAN at 6:28pm with #272 departing at 8:28pm.

bb
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:12 pm

SANFan wrote:
Update: as of ~7:45am Thursday, LH466 is now sked to arrive SAN early at 12:51pm (with an on-time departure at 3:05pm.)

AF302 is also early (as of now) sked to land at 3:36pm; on time departure of flight 303 is still at 6:05pm.

For those interested in seeing the trifecta, (747) Speedbird is running late today - flight BA273 is now sked to arrive SAN at 6:28pm with #272 departing at 8:28pm.

bb


LH 466 will also operated by A 340-600 at 4. December!
Last edited by AirbusOnly on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:13 pm

For those wanting to follow, it is Air France #302, F-GSQU, 777-300, and Lufthansa #466, D-AIHL, an A340-600 today:

https://www.flightradar24.com/AFR302/1eb57723

https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH5Y/1eb51b97

It may be a rainy day here today, but I'll be out there watching!!
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 417
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
What I like about San Diego is that our airport is right on the bay in the middle of the city with hills surrounding it. You can't help being a plane spotter even if you're not into planes.


So many scenic views, yes. You can see them with a background of the hills, the skyscrapers, the bay to the South, right over dense San Diego.
 
User avatar
hawaiian717
Posts: 3243
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:46 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:39 pm

airevents wrote:
Hi Folks, I know this does not really belong here. I am a Lufthansa flight attendant about to leave on the flight to SAN. Would like to do some planespotting or picture taking at SAN over the next few days, during my layover. Where would you recommend I go? Anybody cares to join! Greetings and watch out for that 340-600 landing later today...


The SpottersWiki page for SAN is pretty thorough. Disclaimer: I run the site.

https://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php/ ... al_Airport
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:23 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
airevents wrote:
Hi Folks, I know this does not really belong here. I am a Lufthansa flight attendant about to leave on the flight to SAN. Would like to do some planespotting or picture taking at SAN over the next few days, during my layover. Where would you recommend I go? Anybody cares to join! Greetings and watch out for that 340-600 landing later today...


The SpottersWiki page for SAN is pretty thorough. Disclaimer: I run the site.

https://www.spotterswiki.com/index.php/ ... al_Airport


That is a BEAUTIFUL and well-written page!! You've certainly done your homework!!

I'm actually going to try and visit Mister A's outdoor patio for the Air France flight today. I've video'd there before in the afternoons (Edelweiss Air, Condor, British Airways), but I think it will be too early for Lufthansa's arrival.
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Didn't the LH A346, and the AF 773 arrive yesterday? I'm hoping to see some pictures!
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:48 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
!

I would recommend you make your way to Balboa Park to the aviation museum

Balboa Park is a very scenic and beautiful place for spotting. While on final approach to SAN, you can see Balboa Park from the plane on the right side.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:21 pm

 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:


Bummer!! I wonder why they diverted? Weather? Medical emergency?
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
User avatar
BobMUC
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:37 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:


Very strange... they just did a go-around at LAS.
 
User avatar
BobMUC
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Per LH webpage the flight should continue to SAN shortly.
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:54 pm

BobMUC wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:


Very strange... they just did a go-around at LAS.


If they did a go-around at LAS, they most likely had a mechanical problem with the plane?
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:08 pm

I actually held my breath as I watched the plane on flightradar24 speeding down the runway and continue west. Knowing to "watch my instruments", I saw the altitude climb and the circle around in a missed approach. For a moment, I thought the worst. But then it landed landed and taxied normally, and I hope it can get airborne again soon. At least the passengers won't need to go through customs in SAN!

Knowing how short the distance from LAS to SAN is - especially at high altitude and speed - my first thought was medical. A mechanical diversion that close to the final destination would almost certainly necessitate a thorough inspection and possible cancellation of the return flight. If indeed the plane departs relatively quickly after all have reboarded, then there would be no issue with the plane, meaning something else necessitated the brief but important diversion.

And the plane might need to even take on any extra fuel - I'd love to see how quick the A346 might airborne!!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Hopefully it will still make it here today, albeit late.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 pm

A SAN spotter on FB said that LH#466 will be scheduled to arrive from LAS at 2:15pm with a departure back to FRA at 4:05pm.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
something else necessitated the brief but important diversion.


It may of had something to do with the weather. In another thread, it was mentioning that there were weather related problems in the Bay area. SJC had some departure delays due to the weather.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Looks like LH and AF are going to land within 10 minutes of one another? I hope someone gets footage!
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 274
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:29 am

GlobalAirways wrote:
Looks like LH and AF are going to land within 10 minutes of one another? I hope someone gets footage!


Your wish is my command!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beK48zKjFXo&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomZu1_NqQM&t=0s

I lucked out in that the sun had burst through the clouds just before the Lufthansa A346 was about to appear over the clouds. Thankfully it dimmed significantly for both arrivals!!

I know there will be better quality videos soon enough, but seeing it in person is just awesome.
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:50 am

Those are great videos! I love how both planes seem to float in for a landing! The BA 744 has the same illusion.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:
Looks like LH and AF are going to land within 10 minutes of one another? I hope someone gets footage!


Your wish is my command!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beK48zKjFXo&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomZu1_NqQM&t=0s

I lucked out in that the sun had burst through the clouds just before the Lufthansa A346 was about to appear over the clouds. Thankfully it dimmed significantly for both arrivals!!

I know there will be better quality videos soon enough, but seeing it in person is just awesome.



YOU WIN THE PRIZE TODAY MY FRIEND!
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am

They're heeere!
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
airevents
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:20 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:08 am

Hello,

we made it here. Flight was diverted to LAS because of the weather in SAN initially. Go-aroumd there was because of crosswinds. Looking forward to some happy spotting tomorrow. Thanks for your ideas!

Sebastian
www.airevents.com
 
User avatar
IslandRob
Posts: 570
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 am

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:16 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:
Looks like LH and AF are going to land within 10 minutes of one another? I hope someone gets footage!


Your wish is my command!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beK48zKjFXo&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomZu1_NqQM&t=0s

I lucked out in that the sun had burst through the clouds just before the Lufthansa A346 was about to appear over the clouds. Thankfully it dimmed significantly for both arrivals!!

I know there will be better quality videos soon enough, but seeing it in person is just awesome.


Outstanding! Love the view of downtown in the background, and (in the LH flight footage) the chiming of bells from the California Tower in Balboa Park!

Thanks so much for shooting and sharing these! -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 783
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:33 am

airevents wrote:
Hello,

we made it here. Flight was diverted to LAS because of the weather in SAN initially. Go-aroumd there was because of crosswinds. Looking forward to some happy spotting tomorrow. Thanks for your ideas!

Sebastian


We've had a lot of rain all day today. Not our typical sunny weather. There were a lot of flight delays because of the bad weather. There's more to come!
PSA Gives you a lift!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos