SANMAN66

Re: San Diego Thread - 2018

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:14 am

I still wonder how far along were the talks with COPA before they hit a brick wall?Hopefully they picked up where they left off. I saw in another thread someone was wondering if DL could start a SAN-AMS flight? I personally would prefer KLM. WOW-Air or Icelandair to Keflavik are other two carriers I am looking at.
PSA Gives you a lift!

amadorE175
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:00 am

Apologies for the quality of these, I was a bit pressed for time and a bit busy with work to get these uploaded sooner.

SAN757 wrote:
Gates 48-49 and 50-51 are the pairs for the glass enclosures. Each has an escalator and elevator that take arriving passengers to the 3rd floor.

An annotated shot of the glass enclosure. Passengers following the orange arrow would ascend to the third level, go over the concourse, and descend to level 1 for baggage, customs, and immigration. Passengers following the yellow arrow would enter the concourse as normal.
---https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BiXVgkt0xT38K6NtjAJTaJw1559E6O20/view?usp=sharing

And another of the glass corridor.
---https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JQXtwPFGXqZ5EBVW48Ja6fkF8dgeY8WB/view?usp=sharing

From SAN757: "There’s a new skybridge that crosses over the concourse between gates 48 & 49."

---I boneheadedly did not take a shot of the overhead walkway that arriving passengers across the concourse.

From SAN757: "A new downward escalator goes from the 3rd floor to the 2nd floor and connects to the original escalator that previously was the exit to “Delta’s” former baggage claim area across from gate 49. That former exit is now walled off with glass. If you happen to be around Gate 49 when an international flight arrives, you could see those passengers descending toward the FIS."

Pictured here from the concourse:
---https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l4KMx9vTv4h2UtymVdEHA5sCCY_-sdSM/view?usp=sharing

JL and LH. There's an AS 737 in the back and a WS 737 hiding behind the scimitar wingtip. The JL flight arrived after I got seated on my departing flight so I couldn't get a better shot.
---https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mhdMJToRqYj2Cf2sxHewCBvpaVLexdLW/view?usp=sharing

SANFan

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:24 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
Apologies for the quality of these, I was a bit pressed for time and a bit busy with work to get these uploaded sooner.

SAN757 wrote:
Gates 48-49 and 50-51 are the pairs for the glass enclosures. Each has an escalator and elevator that take arriving passengers to the 3rd floor.

Thanks so much amador' for the photos and thanks also to SAN757 for the verbal tour of how things are laid out.

I've now heard and read many descriptions - even seen plans -- of the new facilities but I'm just going to have to fly somewhere out of T2 and get to the airport about 4 hours early so I can spend some time getting a feel for the whole area. I've now seen everything there is to see from the non-secure (land-side) part of T2W but it's still hard to imagine how everything is integrated.

Now it's a waiting game to see which foreign flag carrier (or perhaps one already present at SAN) will be using the beautiful new FIS next: CM? DL? PR? AF? KE? FI? HU? MT?

Slight change of subject: who knows, maybe someday the airport will build some sort of observation deck/viewing platform somewhere on the roof of one of the terminals for folks like us to watch the airside activities from outdoors, and from above! By charging $5 or so for entry, the airport would add another nice ancillary income stream -- something they are always looking for!

bb

hawaiian717

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm

SANFan wrote:
Slight change of subject: who knows, maybe someday the airport will build some sort of observation deck/viewing platform somewhere on the roof of one of the terminals for folks like us to watch the airside activities from outdoors, and from above! By charging $5 or so for entry, the airport would add another nice ancillary income stream -- something they are always looking for!

Wasn’t there talk of a restaurant with an airfield view at the new rental car center?

amadorE175
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:56 am

There was talk of a restaurant at the rental car center, yes. Not sure if the deck would have been separate. The space was also evaluated for a co-working or other office type of situation (I would sign up if they got a client to rent out the space). It might be a while before they get a tenant for the space.

tmiw

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:08 am

SANFan wrote:
Slight change of subject: who knows, maybe someday the airport will build some sort of observation deck/viewing platform somewhere on the roof of one of the terminals for folks like us to watch the airside activities from outdoors, and from above!

On that note, the Board signed a lease with TAV-America (whose parent company runs the "primeclass" airport lounges overseas). Per the April (pp. 165-172) and July (pp. 166-172) meeting minutes, the lounge will start out with ~6,700 square feet of space, eventually expanding to close to 10,000 square feet (!) I'm not sure where in T2W it'll end up going but maybe it'll be high enough for some good views. :D

Yahnih

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 am

New CAPA release was out about San Diego..

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... ons-431823

amadorE175
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:47 pm

tmiw wrote:
On that note, the Board signed a lease with TAV-America (whose parent company runs the "primeclass" airport lounges overseas). Per the April (pp. 165-172) and July (pp. 166-172) meeting minutes, the lounge will start out with ~6,700 square feet of space, eventually expanding to close to 10,000 square feet (!) I'm not sure where in T2W it'll end up going but maybe it'll be high enough for some good views. :D

If I'm remembering correctly, the lounge will be on the third level above gates 46 and 47. It'll be west facing. Good for sunsets but less good for observing what's going on at the other terminals or on the runway.

tmiw

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:20 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
If I'm remembering correctly, the lounge will be on the third level above gates 46 and 47. It'll be west facing. Good for sunsets but less good for observing what's going on at the other terminals or on the runway.

That's unfortunate. I can see even that going away once the westernmost few gates are built out as part of the T1 rebuild too.

Still, something potentially on the Priority Pass network is a good thing for the airport.

Coronado990

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:29 am

Does anyone see SAN included in the next round of Alaska Airlines new route announcements? Domestically, I'd like to see them beef up the southwestern US from here to destinations such as TUS, ELP, SAT and OKC. Maybe a seasonal Summer Saturday only non-stop to ANC. Any chance of SJO, Costa Rica or Saturday only to LIR? Also, I think there should be a flight to LTO making SAN more of a go-to gateway to Baja California. Either way, I'm sure there'll be something.
Uncle SAN at your service!

amadorE175
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:58 pm

As it turns out, the Authority is in the process of negotiating and approving a lease with a tenant of the commercial space in the rental car facility. It looks like it'll be an event hall so, barring any events any of us get invited to there, viewing the runway and operation from the space won't be very accessible.

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
Does anyone see SAN included in the next round of Alaska Airlines new route announcements? Domestically, I'd like to see them beef up the southwestern US from here to destinations such as TUS, ELP, SAT and OKC. Maybe a seasonal Summer Saturday only non-stop to ANC. Any chance of SJO, Costa Rica or Saturday only to LIR? Also, I think there should be a flight to LTO making SAN more of a go-to gateway to Baja California. Either way, I'm sure there'll be something.

Short answer, yes. I'm thinking a bit less exciting than you, D, but I think anything added is a good thing!

As I mentioned yesterday over on the 'AS New Service" thread, I think OAK, JFK, RDU and ORF are perhaps the next routes to be added at SAN. In fact, there are a few gaps showing in the 12/15 sked as it appears right now which could very well be 'corrected' with major existing-flight tweaks, cancelled routes/flights (unlikely during the holiday sked), or, my hope, some new flights/routes starting then. In fact, my guess is OAK could be slipped in (3x daily?) easily to feed the returning seasonal Steamboat-Hayden service starting then, along with another SLC flight.

OAK has to be very high on the AAG list to complete one of the largest holes in their SAN operation; they have the Bay Area covered extremely well from here, except for Oakland. Take a look at the current SAN turn sked, D, for the holidays and look for the inbound to feed that 11am service to HDN/SLC, and the o/b when HDN/SLC return in the afternoon. They could use the new GEG flights but that would mean some large-scale changes, including prolly a cancelled route.

Since, AS has xld the JFK-LAS/PSP service, that, IMO, leaves a spot open at JFK and SAN has to be next in line for that destination. (Prolly a red-eye, unfortunately, but it's a start.)

RDU and ORF are a bit more iffy but, even though F9 beat AS to RDU, the service provided is inadequate. It's much to big and important a route for the F9 service. Heck F9 means the flight will undoubtedly disappear at some point; it also means less than daily service which will eliminate it's use by business travelers. I'm disappointed that AAG let F9 get that route started first but I think AS can easily chase F9 with REAL service - a daily r/t. The quicker AS makes a move, the better. (Didn't F9 just begin flying the route this month?)

ORF needs to happen -- it's been ignored way too long. I hear chatter about SEA-ORF being desired (mainly because all the low-hanging fruit out of SEA has already been grabbed by AAG) but SAN-ORF is as big or bigger a market and has been for a long time. If it weren't for the Government Travel fares, SAN would have had nonstop to ORF years ago. I hope AS will grab that route now, before either F9 or even WN do.

AS has missed out on many routes in the last couple of years that they've been interested in (e.g., TPA, IND) so they need to get moving fast. Like, GEG, they dallied, and WN jumped in there first; luckily, WN was too big for the route and they pulled back. AS is now jumping in with the right-sized a/c and will be very successful with it. I don't know if WN will fight for it or just move on. This is almost the same scenario as RDU and AS needs to move!

But I agree with your list of 4 cites as well; I just feel the other destinations need priority. I would add PHL, MSY, LAS and PHX to your list as well. When possible.

amadorE175 wrote:
As it turns out, the Authority is in the process of negotiating and approving a lease with a tenant of the commercial space in the rental car facility. It looks like it'll be an event hall so, barring any events any of us get invited to there, viewing the runway and operation from the space won't be very accessible.

I'm sure that space was very expensive and there was nobody in town who thought opening a high-class, top-end restaurant at an Avis office on the wrong side of the airport was a money maker! A meeting place/even hall is probably a good idea since something like is needed, especially when the old PSA hanger goes away. Where will the SDCRAA board meeting be held for example?

bb

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:35 pm

SANFan wrote:
ORF needs to happen -- it's been ignored way too long. I hear chatter about SEA-ORF being desired (mainly because all the low-hanging fruit out of SEA has already been grabbed by AAG) but SAN-ORF is as big or bigger a market and has been for a long time. If it weren't for the Government Travel fares, SAN would have had nonstop to ORF years ago. I hope AS will grab that route now, before either F9 or even WN do.

I don't think SAN-ORF is going to happen soon, DL has the contract on that route
https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearch/m ... arch+FY+19
DL DM, AA Gold in 2018, Visited 2018:AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, YYZ, ZRH

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
I don't think SAN-ORF is going to happen soon, DL has the contract on that route

I realize that but those contracts are re-bid every year, right? Seems to me it goes back-and-forth between DL and UA. Maybe it's time for AAG to enter the fray.

Or perhaps DL will bite the bullet and start it themselves. (Same goes for RDU.) Both of those routes need decent nonstop service by a real airline and, even though I would prefer it be AS -- to help dramatically build their focus city here -- DL would certainly be acceptable. It's just unlikely as they don't do p-2-p from SAN even though I think they could. (In fact, I've hoped that DL would do SAN-AMS but SAN is just a big, healthy outstation/spoke for them and I don't expect that will change.)

Those gov't contract fares certainly cloud the situation for ORF service but I still hope that somehow, AS can make it work. But I understand it's iffy.

bb

Midwestindy

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:55 pm

SANFan wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I realize that but those contracts are re-bid every year, right? Seems to me it goes back-and-forth between DL and UA. Maybe it's time for AAG to enter the fray.

Or perhaps DL will bite the bullet and start it themselves. (Same goes for RDU.) Both of those routes need decent nonstop service by a real airline and, even though I would prefer it be AS -- to help dramatically build their focus city here -- DL would certainly be acceptable. It's just unlikely as they don't do p-2-p from SAN even though I think they could. (In fact, I've hoped that DL would do SAN-AMS but SAN is just a big, healthy outstation/spoke for them and I don't expect that will change.)

Those gov't contract fares certainly cloud the situation for ORF service but I still hope that somehow, AS can make it work. But I understand it's iffy.

bb

Correct, contract is valid til 9/30/19
DL DM, AA Gold in 2018, Visited 2018:AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, YYZ, ZRH

hawaiian717

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:27 pm

And the government contract fares aren't based purely on price. A daily daytime nonstop flight has a decent chance of winning over a cheaper connecting flight. I look at SAN-BWI as an example; for a while it was generally United, but at least one year it was Delta. But once Southwest put nonstop flights in the market and started bidding on government contracts again, they've held the government contract for the route every year.

ibthebigd

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Could the A220 help make ORF IND RDU viable for Delta?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SANFan

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Interesting stuff guys. I just wanted to add this fact to the discussion, as a way of justifying both the discussion and the route.

For 2017, averaged for the whole year based on the DOT stats in table 1A, SAN-ORF saw 145 PDEW (with a high of 162 for 3Q and low of 127 for Q1.)

That to me is a market that justifies and deserves a daily, year-round nonstop r/t. Plus, with a lack of nonstops, and even, I think, direct flights, there has got to be plenty of leakage thru IAD & BWI and probably other airports in the area. (A navy family with kids and luggage traveling between the 2 Naval ports, I would expect, would seek nonstop service to avoid a connection.)

I've also mentioned often before in such discussions that I'd bet the Navy would send lots of cargo and even urgent packages on such a nonstop between their largest east coast base and their largest one on the west coast.

I know that SDIA route planners are working hard on securing this route and I expect so are those in charge of service expansion at ORF; I believe SAN is the largest un-served market out of ORF and that ORF is the top such (or #2?) out of SAN now that RDU, TPA, PIT and IND more-or-less have nonstop service.

One last advantage for SAN-ORF to exist is that at least AS could, with careful scheduling, offer connections between ORF and HNL, something DL certainly can't offer.

bb

SANFan

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Minor update on AS's current real estate at SAN. I just today noticed that AS, at AS.com, now lists their gates as: T1W, gates 11-18 and in T2E, 20-22 & 26.

I posted a while back that AS was using gates 20-22 to unload 3 of their 4 HI flights at night, RONing the 738s there, and using those same gates for the morning departures back to HI. No towing of those a/c needed. I haven't seen yet if they use the gates during the daytime -- I hope not as it would further complicate their already iffy connections situation at SAN - but of course gate 26 IS used all day long for the SFO flights. For most of the day, other than the early morning crunch, I think AS has plenty of gate space but it will sure be nice when they are all in the same terminal! AS doesn't really use gate 12 as that one is used by F9 which now has a number of flights to run thru their (mostly) single gate. And WN is of course now using some of the gates in T1W.

I expect there will be another new route announcement from AAG this week -- tomorrow morning? -- and I'm hoping it will involve something new for SAN. :crossfingers:

Also, chatter abounds that WN's Hawaii service will be detailed and started soon; that should definitely involve SDIA! And some seem to think PAE service may be approved by the FAA any time now with service to the Everett/Mukilteo airport quickly announced by AS and WN. SAN is supposed to receive nonstop service to PAE on AS but with WN, unknown.

Stay tuned -- the next couple of months could be interesting for SAN!

bb

Silver1SWA

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 pm

SANFan wrote:

Also, chatter abounds that WN's Hawaii service will be detailed and started soon; that should definitely involve SDIA!

bb

Well I wish they’d start telling me something!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SANFan

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Also, chatter abounds that WN's Hawaii service will be detailed and started soon; that should definitely involve SDIA!
bb

Well I wish they’d start telling me something!

Hey, how you doing stranger? You never write anymore, no pix, I thought maybe you were long gone R. Hope you stick around this thread a bit more in the future!

Anyway, it does sound like you will need to know your way around T1W - more than just gate 11 -- according to some rumors!

Miss your great fotos R! Please keep that camera handy and don't be afraid to use it!

bb

iadadd

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:39 pm

How's Lufthansa doing ?

Yahnih

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 am

Anyone have access to the recent CAPA report? I can’t access it anymore. If someone wouldn’t mind posting here :)

SANFan

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 am

iadadd wrote:
How's Lufthansa doing ?

Pax-wise, no idea. T100s are not yet available for March; I just looked yesterday. All I do know is the winter sked is published and the frequency remains the same as for this summer. We might get a clue when next summer's sked comes out and we'll see if maybe the service will run daily then.

I hope they're doing well.

Yahnih wrote:
Anyone have access to the recent CAPA report? I can’t access it anymore. If someone wouldn’t mind posting here :)

I couldn't even access it when it was newly released (subscription only.) I would have liked to read it.

bb

spoonman1

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Anyone have info about flights from SAN-MEX? From what I know, Volaris left SAN for CBX/TIJ recently? If true, will someone else resume service from SAN. All that said, moving to CBX/TIJ probably makes a lot of financial sense for Volaris. However, I would think someone would take the opportunity to pickup service from SAN, if someone hasn't already.

ibthebigd

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Be nice if Delta would open a focus city at SAN with Aeromexico starting MEX-SAN. I know WN and AS are to dominate for a DL focus city.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SANFan

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 am

spoonman1 wrote:
Anyone have info about flights from SAN-MEX? From what I know, Volaris left SAN for CBX/TIJ recently? If true, will someone else resume service from SAN. All that said, moving to CBX/TIJ probably makes a lot of financial sense for Volaris. However, I would think someone would take the opportunity to pickup service from SAN, if someone hasn't already.

Ummm, AS flew SAN-MEX starting late last year, ending a few months ago, in late May 2018. The route was flown with an EMJ and lasted just about 6 months.

They, like everyone else in the history of SAN going back many decades, has quit flying the route. I personally would be very surprised if anyone tries it again anytime soon.
I believe the reason the route isn't successful is the proximity of TIJ. Period.

bb

phxa340

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 am

SANFan wrote:
Coronado990 wrote:

Short answer, yes. I'm thinking a bit less exciting than you, D, but I think anything added is a good thing!

As I mentioned yesterday over on the 'AS New Service" thread, I think OAK, JFK, RDU and ORF are perhaps the next routes to be added at SAN. In fact, there are a few gaps showing in the 12/15 sked as it appears right now which could very well be 'corrected' with major existing-flight tweaks, cancelled routes/flights (unlikely during the holiday sked), or, my hope, some new flights/routes starting then. In fact, my guess is OAK could be slipped in (3x daily?) easily to feed the returning seasonal Steamboat-Hayden service starting then, along with another SLC flight.

OAK has to be very high on the AAG list to complete one of the largest holes in their SAN operation; they have the Bay Area covered extremely well from here, except for Oakland. Take a look at the current SAN turn sked, D, for the holidays and look for the inbound to feed that 11am service to HDN/SLC, and the o/b when HDN/SLC return in the afternoon. They could use the new GEG flights but that would mean some large-scale changes, including prolly a cancelled route.

Since, AS has xld the JFK-LAS/PSP service, that, IMO, leaves a spot open at JFK and SAN has to be next in line for that destination. (Prolly a red-eye, unfortunately, but it's a start.)

RDU and ORF are a bit more iffy but, even though F9 beat AS to RDU, the service provided is inadequate. It's much to big and important a route for the F9 service. Heck F9 means the flight will undoubtedly disappear at some point; it also means less than daily service which will eliminate it's use by business travelers. I'm disappointed that AAG let F9 get that route started first but I think AS can easily chase F9 with REAL service - a daily r/t. The quicker AS makes a move, the better. (Didn't F9 just begin flying the route this month?)

AS has missed out on many routes in the last couple of years that they've been interested in (e.g., TPA, IND) so they need to get moving fast. Like, GEG, they dallied, and WN jumped in there first; luckily, WN was too big for the route and they pulled back. AS is now jumping in with the right-sized a/c and will be very successful with it. I don't know if WN will fight for it or just move on. This is almost the same scenario as RDU and AS needs to move!

But I agree with your list of 4 cites as well; I just feel the other destinations need priority. I would add PHL, MSY, LAS and PHX to your list as well. When possible.

amadorE175 wrote:

I'm sure that space was very expensive and there was nobody in town who thought opening a high-class, top-end restaurant at an Avis office on the wrong side of the airport was a money maker! A meeting place/even hall is probably a good idea since something like is needed, especially when the old PSA hanger goes away. Where will the SDCRAA board meeting be held for example?

bb

Do you know how many PDEW for SAN-RDU and SAN-TPA ? I always thought those two routes were big holes in the AS SAN network. I am tired of being routed through SFO living in SD on AS - and then just to have the SFO route to wherever I am flying cut after I make the reservation.

Hoping for some Awesome AS SAN announcement s soon !

SANFan

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 am

phxa340 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

Do you know how many PDEW for SAN-RDU and SAN-TPA ? I always thought those two routes were big holes in the AS SAN network. I am tired of being routed through SFO living in SD on AS - and then just to have the SFO route to wherever I am flying cut after I make the reservation.

I've reported PDEWs over the last couple of months but I'm happy to oblige:

city-pair......1Q17..2Q17..3Q17..4Q17.....Ave PDEW for 2017
SAN-TPA....134....138.....126.....139.........134
SAN-RDU...118....154.....136.....150.........140
SAN-ORF...127....151.....162.....140.........145

TPA and RDU are currently served of course but I've been hoping from before they got service from SAN that AS would jump into these 3 markets!

Unfortunately, I'm getting less and less optimistic that AS is planning much new for SAN in the near-term future. Even the current expectation of new routes to follow the announcement of SEA-CMH a couple of weeks ago (August 29) seems to have stalled out.

Speaking of SAN and AAG, I notice that AS is now using gate 24 in T2E instead of 26, used for their SFO (ex-Virgin) flights. AS now lists gates 20-22 + 24 in T2E as theirs. I'm wondering if there is remodeling going on at #26. If anyone out there is flying in and out of T2E these days, it would be great to have an update on what is going on the east side of that concourse.

bb

phxa340

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:25 am

SANFan wrote:
phxa340 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

bb

I've reported PDEWs over the last couple of months but I'm happy to oblige:

TPA and RDU are currently served of course but I've been hoping from before they got service from SAN that AS would jump into these 3 markets!

Unfortunately, I'm getting less and less optimistic that AS is planning much new for SAN in the near-term future. Even the current expectation of new routes to follow the announcement of SEA-CMH a couple of weeks ago (August 29) seems to have stalled out.

Speaking of SAN and AAG, I notice that AS is now using gate 24 in T2E instead of 26, used for their SFO (ex-Virgin) flights. AS now lists gates 20-22 + 24 in T2E as theirs. I'm wondering if there is remodeling going on at #26. If anyone out there is flying in and out of T2E these days, it would be great to have an update on what is going on the east side of that concourse.

bb

Thank you much !! Too bad - it looks the route really only can only support One carrier on it (I am sure F9 could be kicked off by AS though for RDU if AS was feeling adventurous).

hawaiian717

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:55 am

SANFan wrote:

Looks like American is using 26 now. According to the Flight Board iPad app, AA797 to CLT is going out of there this evening and tomorrow morning it will have AA2458 to JFK.

SANFan

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

Looks like American is using 26 now. According to the Flight Board iPad app, AA797 to CLT is going out of there this evening and tomorrow morning it will have AA2458 to JFK.

I noticed that yesterday but the AA op's from gate 26 seem somewhat limited so maybe there's some part-time work going on at that gate when AA is not using it. I really have no idea what's going on in T2E these days. It just seems to me that if AS were happy with what's in T2E now, why not move there now? I assume there is remodeling going on since AAG will not be moving until Jan/Feb 2019. (Hopefully a Board Room is part of AAG's upgrades!) Maybe one of the reasons AS is waiting 'til early next year for the move is simply to wait until after the Holiday season. This is all speculation on my part.

Hopefully there will be information going public soon as to what is in store at T2E and for AAG.

bb

gollumSD

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:26 am

spoonman1 wrote:

I just read this on skyscraper page. How many of us are on both?
"Not all those who wander are lost"

gollumSD

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 am

I flew the AS flight to MEX back in late March. It was 60% full more or less both ways. I feel Alaska didn't give it enough time. I sure would rather fly from SD than have to shlep down to TJ, I fell most would feel the same.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

amadorE175
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 am

SANFan wrote:
I noticed that yesterday but the AA op's from gate 26 seem somewhat limited so maybe there's some part-time work going on at that gate when AA is not using it. I really have no idea what's going on in T2E these days. It just seems to me that if AS were happy with what's in T2E now, why not move there now? I assume there is remodeling going on since AAG will not be moving until Jan/Feb 2019. (Hopefully a Board Room is part of AAG's upgrades!) Maybe one of the reasons AS is waiting 'til early next year for the move is simply to wait until after the Holiday season. This is all speculation on my part.

Hopefully there will be information going public soon as to what is in store at T2E and for AAG.

bb

I don't think 24 and 26 are getting any renovation work done. The swap between AA and AS is just to get the airlines gats consolidated together. I would venture that AS hasn't moved fully into T2E because there's work to be done on:

1) getting 20-22 redone, with the aim, perhaps, of freeing up some of the real estate the now obsolete secure corridor took up back (there were barriers when I went through in August);
2) there's work to be completed to expand the T2E security checkpoint;
3) there's work to be done to get AS's curbside checkin system set up on the departures level;
4) converting the remainder of T1W to common use (CUPPS) systems as the current set up doesn't provide the flexibility to accommodate different airlines;

1 was already in progress, less sure about 2, but I would think that it'd be easier to complete 3 and 4 during the slower autumn. I would think that G4, B6, SY, NK can't move to T1W until the gates are converted to CUPPS. The bid for all of this work is budgeted for 294 days so February is about when things will be done if work started in May.

SANFan

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
I don't think 24 and 26 are getting any renovation work done. The swap between AA and AS is just to get the airlines gats consolidated together. I would venture that AS hasn't moved fully into T2E because there's work to be done on:
1) getting 20-22 redone, with the aim, perhaps, of freeing up some of the real estate the now obsolete secure corridor took up back (there were barriers when I went through in August);
2) there's work to be completed to expand the T2E security checkpoint;
3) there's work to be done to get AS's curbside checkin system set up on the departures level;
4) converting the remainder of T1W to common use (CUPPS) systems as the current set up doesn't provide the flexibility to accommodate different airlines;

1 was already in progress, less sure about 2, but I would think that it'd be easier to complete 3 and 4 during the slower autumn. I would think that G4, B6, SY, NK can't move to T1W until the gates are converted to CUPPS. The bid for all of this work is budgeted for 294 days so February is about when things will be done if work started in May.

Thanks for the updates amador'. All your listed projects sound right. (Have you heard anything regarding a Board Room being created as part of your item #1?)

A couple of thoughts. To the best of my knowledge, AS will end up with a majority of the gates on the east side of the T2E concourse (the even-numbered ones) while AA will remain where they are, on the west side. IOW, ultimately, AS should "own" both 24 & 26 and I should think they will end up with at least 7 or 8 gates in T2E. (I've heard conflicting rumors about the fate of gates 20-22; some have claimed they will be common use gates and used primarily by G4, etc. If true, then that would mean AS would end up, more of less, with 24, 26, 28, 30, 32 while using 20-22 as available?

I’ve given up hoping that AAG was planning on creating a ground-level boarding concourse like they have in SEA and PDX exclusively for the smaller EMJs; that way they could squeeze in another boarding position or 2 in that area now called gates 20-22. There would be room as that area has been used by 747s, etc., when it was the FIS area – lots of real estate. Who knows, perhaps they will at least add a gate 19 in there somewhere and make all those gates somewhat smaller…

I don’t know if WN uses CUPPS gates but they are rumored to be taking at least some of the gates in T1W as their own, to be used primarily for their HI ops. I don’t know for sure but I would think they would want to set their gates up with their standard boarding set-up – such as designated lines for the different boarding groups.

Just think, in a mere “several years” T1 will be replaced! Won’t that be wonderful?!

bb

SANFan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:49 pm

phxa340 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
bb

Thank you much !! Too bad - it looks the route really only can only support One carrier on it (I am sure F9 could be kicked off by AS though for RDU if AS was feeling adventurous).

While you’re totally correct that, judging by the numbers, the 3 markets would prolly support only a single carrier each, it also seem to me that they are all underserved . ORF of course is not served at all, despite that very healthy PDEW. (And I DO understand the difficulty of that market and why service has not yet happened.)

RDU is served only a few times a week (by F9) and, I would guess, not even year ‘round (but that remains to be seen) and with a PDEW of 140, that is not anywhere near adequate service. That would primarily be a business market and F9 doesn’t appeal to corporate travelers – a well-known fact. I have no doubt that the market would easily grow to fill a daily, permanent 737/320 and I certainly don’t expect that would ever be offered by Frontier.

TPA, a market that I know AS was looking at very closely, was grabbed by WN but, surprisingly to me, they currently serve it less than year-round. (Heck, they started the route in January of this year yet in 2019, they aren't offering the flight in January or February!) For business travelers, that needs to be daily (which it is) but served year-round. Both WN and AS serve MCO and there must be plenty of leakage between the 2 cities. If both markets were served year-round by someone, I’m sure the 2 flights would equalize with both being sustainable after a short time. I admit, without too much effort, WN can make SAN-TPA a permanent, year-round market.

I remain surprised at WN for this recent ‘discovery’ of theirs that SAN is a seasonal market; they should know better as they still carry 35-40% of the pax out of SAN. (Although I’m seeing that leadership is very slowly decreasing as, you guessed it, AS and probably even F9, are picking away at their numbers!) Even if the loads are sometimes a bit lighter in January and February, all of WN’s seasonal markets – TPA, IND, MKE – should be sustainable year-round. (Of course, SAN-MKE would be perfectly served with AS's EMJ and easily on a year-round basis.)

AS keeps on refusing to battle for any of those markets with their own year-round service! Heck, F9 is battling more than AS using IND as an example; SAN-IND now has competing service -- WN & F9 -- altho neither, IMO, is adequate! And AS has the added major advantage of having the EMJ in their arsenal, perfect for the thinner routes that are within its range and on which WN can't really fill a 737 all the time. (E.G., SAN-GEG, starting Oct 1.)

Bb

tphuang

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:19 pm

If I were you, I would give up on hoping for any new as service at San for a while. Not going to happen when the stated growth is 2% and much of that is through up gauge.

amadorE175
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 pm

SANFan wrote:
Thanks for the updates amador'. All your listed projects sound right. (Have you heard anything regarding a Board Room being created as part of your item #1?)

I don’t know if WN uses CUPPS gates but they are rumored to be taking at least some of the gates in T1W as their own, to be used primarily for their HI ops. I don’t know for sure but I would think they would want to set their gates up with their standard boarding set-up – such as designated lines for the different boarding groups.

Just think, in a mere “several years” T1 will be replaced! Won’t that be wonderful?!

bb

I didn't see anything in the budget for a Board Room. The Airspace lounge is near the future AS gates so I wonder if AS will just have passengers use that or the other new lounge getting built (though that's farther out in T2W). Maybe with the new terminal AS will opt for their own lounge. The new T1 (we need an abbreviation for it --- NT1?) seems like a good opportunity to build a lounge like the DL and UA ones in T2W, on the third level and with good views of outside. I guess we'll have to wait and see. And we'll have to wait for new AS routes too. All of their guidance has indicated letting other routes mature before more expansion. With painting and refitting the former VX fleet underway it's a busy time for them. Alas.

Yeah, I'm not sure about WN and CUPPS but the authority has the long-term goal of making all gates common use so if they're not using it now they'll have to, especially when the new T1 is built. I would venture that WN wouldn't have to share their T1W gates with others but if they did they could probably just move the boarding pylons in and out of place as needed. I'm not sure what they do there right now; I don't remember seeing any pylons.

Unrelated but with NT1 being a linear concourse we should get great views from the east of all the tails lined up. Should make for some good viewing.

SANFan

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 pm

amadorE175 wrote:
And we'll have to wait for new AS routes too. All of their guidance has indicated letting other routes mature before more expansion.

tphuang wrote:
If I were you, I would give up on hoping for any new as service at San for a while. Not going to happen when the stated growth is 2% and much of that is through up gauge.

I agree guys. I've scaled back my hopes significantly since listening to all the calls lately by AAG.

However. Part of the 2% growth forecast for 2019, as with the, what, less than 4% growth in 2018 (certainly less than the 6% originally estimated) is funded by cuts to existing routes by the carrier. According to my records, this year, AAG has cut 22 routes while adding a whopping 6! For 2019, they've already cut 4 (and added 1.) (None of these figures include freq upgrades/downgrades.) Continuing such actions in 2019 will allow for some expansion in 2019 (new routes as well as added capacity on existing routes) due to cut routes. And unfortunately, I suspect it will.

In SAN, we lost 2 AS routes (MEX & MMH) this year and those were their first axed routes here in 10 years! Of note: when that last cut route (GEG) occurred in 2008, AS flew to a total of 3 destinations; in 2018, after the loss of MEX & MMH along with the addition of GEG next month, AS still flies to 29 destinations! In other words, SAN has seen LOTS of growth by AAG in the last decade, and only a little shrinkage.

Also of interest is that both of our losses this year were due to the closure of both stations; MMH and MEX will lose all AS service this year. Therefore, IMO, we won't see many more (any?) axed routes at SAN but hopefully we will gain one or two routes in 2019!

bb

SANMAN66

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 am

I don't know how to post the link, but I found the source from a news outlet called "FTN news" it said that 30 flights will be announced from Guanzhou, China. One of the destinations is Guanzhou-Addis Ababa-Minneapolis/St. Paul- San Diego, via Ethiopian Airlines cargo. Very interesting!
PSA Gives you a lift!

cvgComair

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:50 am

SANMAN66 wrote:
I don't know how to post the link, but I found the source from a news outlet called "FTN news" it said that 30 flights will be announced from Guanzhou, China. One of the destinations is Guanzhou-Addis Ababa-Minneapolis/St. Paul- San Diego, via Ethiopian Airlines cargo. Very interesting!

https://ftnnews.com/aviation/34947-abou ... -guangzhou
A319/320/321/330, B717/727/737/757/767/777/787, CRJ-100/200/700/900, DC-9, ERJ-140/145/170/175, MD-80/90, S340

SANMAN66

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 am

Thanks!
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 am

If it actually happens, it will be a nice new foreign flag serving SAN -- but on the wrong side of the airfield!

I wonder if/how we will ever hear that the sked is set, along with a start-date?

I also just saw that KLM has announced LAS. Damn, just a few miles short... Maybe next time!

bb

FA9295

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:36 am

SANFan wrote:
If it actually happens, it will be a nice new foreign flag serving SAN -- but on the wrong side of the airfield!

I wonder if/how we will ever hear that the sked is set, along with a start-date?

I also just saw that KLM has announced LAS. Damn, just a few miles short... Maybe next time!

bb

I'm surprised that SAN-AMS isn't served yet. Seems like a strong market. Not sure whether DL or KLM will take a bite at it, but I'm sure one of them will start it sometime...
No, "FA" in my username does not stand for "flight attendant"...

SANMAN66

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:56 am

SANFan wrote:

bb

I welcome any foreign metal whether it be cargo or pax. Many of the airlines have this irritating coy habit when it comes to expanding service to SAN.
PSA Gives you a lift!

SANFan

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:33 pm

FA9295 wrote:
I'm surprised that SAN-AMS isn't served yet. Seems like a strong market. Not sure whether DL or KLM will take a bite at it, but I'm sure one of them will start it sometime...

We amateurs here in SoCal have great hopes that SkyTeam will get into the SAN-Europe market sometime. There is occasionally quiet chatter that KL/AF -- or maybe even DL -- might be interested in starting something in order to keep up with the other two alliances that are now pretty well represented in SAN-Euro markets.

bb

Coronado990

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Why in the heck would a Addis Ababa-St. Paul (I assume they mean MSP)-San Diego route be on Guangzhou's route wishlist?. Doesn't ET already fly CAN-ADD? Seems like the long way around to serve San Diego from Guangzhou but I guess it's just cargo. Maybe they will serve Brown Field (SDM) instead of Lindbergh. You never know.
Uncle SAN at your service!

redrooster3

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:10 am

United will start implementing international 757s with flatbed seats on the SAN-EWR/IAD routes starting October 4th to compete with JetBlue's Mint product.

The airport has starting re striping the old international gates 20-24 for Alaska and have been downgraded from 747s to 737s/A320s size. Almost all the gates in Terminal 2 will be re striped.
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

SANFan

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm

redrooster3 wrote:
United will start implementing international 757s with flatbed seats on the SAN-EWR/IAD routes starting October 4th to compete with JetBlue's Mint product.

The airport has starting re striping the old international gates 20-24 for Alaska and have been downgraded from 747s to 737s/A320s size. Almost all the gates in Terminal 2 will be re striped.

Thanks for that red'. One rumor said that gates 20-22 would more or less be general use gates but this action seems to support the other rumor, that AS will get many (most) of the gates on the east side of the T2E concourse. I will continue to expect AS to get at least 7 dedicated gates in the move -- that's the number they have now in T1W.

Interesting note from UA. We don't see much of anything from them but this news is at least something. (There have been rumors that AA was going to do the same type of upgrade with their SAN-JFK service but AFAIK, that hasn't happened.

In other news, perhaps you've seen it already, AAG announced today new service to ELP starting in February, a daily ERJ that should easily take the market away from both WN and G4! I'm very pleased to see another destination I can now check off my wish-list! This add takes AS back up to 30 destinations from SDIA -- assuming nothing is dropped. The number of daily departures for AS should be right at 50, + or -.

The EMJ will start the day in SEA, fly to ELP, then to SAN and back to Texas, before returning to SEA. It apparently will be op'd with an in-house (QX) EMJ that will turn in SAN at 2-ish in the afternoon.

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos