Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

axiom

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?--2018

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:05 pm

ORF, GSP, and GRR have all been served in the past. WN was on ORF for years, DL flew GSP during their experiment with Florida focus cities in the Oughts, and GRR has been a mainstay. I've been surprised to see GRR relatively under-served all these years, and I would bet that this one is most likely to stick.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:19 pm

^^

Would love to see all of them stick.

Also in this locked article, it mentions F9 wants to add 5 gates...I think they are currently at 3? And it mentions they want to start SAT and ABQ.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... r-new.html

axiom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Also in this locked article, it mentions F9 wants to add 5 gates...I think they are currently at 3? And it mentions they want to start SAT and ABQ.

Interesting! SAT is served by WN, and ABQ was served before DAL opened back up; I can remember flying BUR-ABQ-TPA in the mid 2000s.

Do you mind sharing a fair use excerpt with some of the key details? Any note on whether or not the capacity for these gates exists, or would this make them a prime tenant in a post-Airside D reconstruction? (ie in D itself, or moving to another Airside once existing tenants relocated to D).

The airport is in growth mode, so this is as good as any reason to push for the next phase of the expansion (Airside D), which is a mantra that sells in the region. But I'm sure folks internal to the airport are very aware that F9 isn't the most reliable partner, and I'd like to think that would be a key factor in deciding if this is the type of growth they want to finance through another major expansion.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:38 pm

axiom wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Interesting! SAT is served by WN, and ABQ was served before DAL opened back up; I can remember flying BUR-ABQ-TPA in the mid 2000s.

Do you mind sharing a fair use excerpt with some of the key details? Any note on whether or not the capacity for these gates exists, or would this make them a prime tenant in a post-Airside D reconstruction? (ie in D itself, or moving to another Airside once existing tenants relocated to D).

The airport is in growth mode, so this is as good as any reason to push for the next phase of the expansion (Airside D), which is a mantra that sells in the region. But I'm sure folks internal to the airport are very aware that F9 isn't the most reliable partner, and I'd like to think that would be a key factor in deciding if this is the type of growth they want to finance through another major expansion.

I'm behind the paywall as well, I was just reading the snippet of info available.

Yeah, there is no room for 5 plus gates in C, so unless they can move around AC/WS/Swoop and utilize that side of E? Otherwise I can't see anything really else at this time until a new airside is available.

axiom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Come to think, I believe C was designed to be expanded by a few gates.

F9LASDEN

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:53 pm

axiom wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

I'd assume ABQ-MCO and SAT-MCO must be doing quite well if they're expressing interest in adding TPA from those cities

NYtracon

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:58 pm

If your using a computer you can press ESCAPE as soon as a website with a paywall loads as the Paywall is usually the last thing that will load.

deltadudejg

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 pm

axiom wrote:
Flyingstump wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2018/08/08/frontier-adds-six-new-routes-from-tampa.html

It will be interesting to see how G4 responds to F9's encroachment into their niche. The last time an airline tried to take of Allegiant's pie, they moved over operations from SFB to MCO to compete (with Airtran). If F9 is already dropping IND and MCI, though, G4 might not have to worry.

Definitely. Almost all of TPA's growth opportunities are in small, seasonal, sub-daily filing. G4 runs 57 markets out of PIE, dozens of which are not served from TPA. This is perhaps the most direct incursion into that niche which we've seen yet. Still, I don't see G4 abandoning PIE for TPA -- not by a long shot. Unlike SFP, PIE has the geographical advantage to TPA in terms of beach access.

G4 Markets ex-PIE (n=57). Those in bold (n=27) have (or will have) direct competition from TPA.

Year-Round
Allentown
Appleton
Asheville
Austin

Bangor
Belleville/St. Louis
Bloomington/Normal
Cedar Rapids
Chattanooga
Chicago/Rockford
Cincinnati
Columbus–Rickenbacker
Charlotte/Concord
Cleveland

Dayton
Des Moines
Elmira
Flint
Fort Wayne
Grand Rapids
Greensboro
Greenville/Spartanburg

Harrisburg
Huntington (WV)
Indianapolis
Kansas City

Knoxville
Lexington
Louisville
Memphis
Milwaukee
Nashville
New Orleans

Newburgh
Niagara Falls
Norfolk
Ogdensburg (NY)
Omaha
Peoria
Pittsburgh
Plattsburgh
Providence
Raleigh/Durham
Roanoke
Sioux Falls
South Bend
Springfield/Branson
Syracuse
Toledo

Seasonal
Fargo
Hagerstown (MD)
Moline/Quad Cities
Phoenix/Mesa
Portsmouth (NH)
Richmond
Tri-Cities (TN)
Tulsa

Tampa doesn't really have the space to fit 15 based aircraft. Allegiant has its roots pretty deep at PIE. A handful of maintenance is performed there. Allegiant is well is planning on building a facility roughly 30k square feet at PIE. The ground breaking will be this month or next month.

axiom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 pm

F9LASDEN wrote:
axiom wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

I'd assume ABQ-MCO and SAT-MCO must be doing quite well if they're expressing interest in adding TPA from those cities

A fair assumption, though knowing F9 they may simply be looking for a new place to put a plane for a few hours. ;-)

axiom

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 pm

deltadudejg wrote:
axiom wrote:
Flyingstump wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2018/08/08/frontier-adds-six-new-routes-from-tampa.html

It will be interesting to see how G4 responds to F9's encroachment into their niche. The last time an airline tried to take of Allegiant's pie, they moved over operations from SFB to MCO to compete (with Airtran). If F9 is already dropping IND and MCI, though, G4 might not have to worry.

Definitely. Almost all of TPA's growth opportunities are in small, seasonal, sub-daily filing. G4 runs 57 markets out of PIE, dozens of which are not served from TPA. This is perhaps the most direct incursion into that niche which we've seen yet. Still, I don't see G4 abandoning PIE for TPA -- not by a long shot. Unlike SFP, PIE has the geographical advantage to TPA in terms of beach access.

G4 Markets ex-PIE (n=57). Those in bold (n=27) have (or will have) direct competition from TPA.

Year-Round
Allentown
Appleton
Asheville
Austin

Bangor
Belleville/St. Louis
Bloomington/Normal
Cedar Rapids
Chattanooga
Chicago/Rockford
Cincinnati
Columbus–Rickenbacker
Charlotte/Concord
Cleveland

Dayton
Des Moines
Elmira
Flint
Fort Wayne
Grand Rapids
Greensboro
Greenville/Spartanburg

Harrisburg
Huntington (WV)
Indianapolis
Kansas City

Knoxville
Lexington
Louisville
Memphis
Milwaukee
Nashville
New Orleans

Newburgh
Niagara Falls
Norfolk
Ogdensburg (NY)
Omaha
Peoria
Pittsburgh
Plattsburgh
Providence
Raleigh/Durham
Roanoke
Sioux Falls
South Bend
Springfield/Branson
Syracuse
Toledo

Seasonal
Fargo
Hagerstown (MD)
Moline/Quad Cities
Phoenix/Mesa
Portsmouth (NH)
Richmond
Tri-Cities (TN)
Tulsa

Tampa doesn't really have the space to fit 15 based aircraft. Allegiant has its roots pretty deep at PIE. A handful of maintenance is performed there. Allegiant is well is planning on building a facility roughly 30k square feet at PIE. The ground breaking will be this month or next month.

Yes, I keep my eye on their operation at PIE, and can't see any good reason why they'd give up what they've built there -- literally.

Murdoughnut

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:40 pm

axiom wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
axiom wrote:

Year-Round
Allentown
Appleton
Asheville
Austin

Bangor
Belleville/St. Louis
Bloomington/Normal
Cedar Rapids
Chattanooga
Chicago/Rockford
Cincinnati
Columbus–Rickenbacker
Charlotte/Concord
Cleveland

Dayton
Des Moines
Elmira
Flint
Fort Wayne
Grand Rapids
Greensboro
Greenville/Spartanburg

Harrisburg
Huntington (WV)
Indianapolis
Kansas City

Knoxville
Lexington
Louisville
Memphis
Milwaukee
Nashville
New Orleans

Newburgh
Niagara Falls
Norfolk
Ogdensburg (NY)
Omaha
Peoria
Pittsburgh
Plattsburgh
Providence
Raleigh/Durham
Roanoke
Sioux Falls
South Bend
Springfield/Branson
Syracuse
Toledo

Seasonal
Fargo
Hagerstown (MD)
Moline/Quad Cities
Phoenix/Mesa
Portsmouth (NH)
Richmond
Tri-Cities (TN)
Tulsa

Yes, I keep my eye on their operation at PIE, and can't see any good reason why they'd give up what they've built there -- literally.

PIE allows them to park a significant number of aircraft (9 maybe) without RON fees I believe.

Murdoughnut

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 pm

axiom wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Airside D is principally being driven by international gate/FIS capacity. 16 swing gates and expanded FIS will help with additional arrivals during the European bank period.

deltadudejg

Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:48 pm

Murdoughnut wrote:
axiom wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

PIE allows them to park a significant number of aircraft (9 maybe) without RON fees I believe.

We charge per aircraft these days. Every night we collect the tail numbers.

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:19 am

Thanks to NYtracon, granted I had to push escape and stop the loading page simultaneously, but getting behind the paywall, didn't really reveal much.

Other than F9 is looking to expand to a total of 5 gates and that Airport Ops basically said that within a month or so F9 may be in a new Airside.

They also said that both WN and F9 are growing so they want to give them best growth opportunities, so to me that means NK isn't moving, as any movement would restrict them and NK is growing as well too.

So it has to be either a move to A or E. If moving to A, AS, SY, and B6 would have to move. B6 uses at most 4 gates, counting RON's so they could use C or E. AS and SY can move as well to C or E. 5 gates at Airside A would be 10-15, meaning at least one being a mix with NK and maybe even UA at the other end.

Will be interesting to see though, with how flaky F9's routes are, I wonder how TPA is negotiating the gate space. It's presumably not cheap to move airlines all around and 5 gates is a decent amount, to maybe just be unused especially in the summer, so maybe F9 has more plans for a more year round type schedule of aircraft going through.

NYtracon

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:56 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Thanks to NYtracon, granted I had to push escape and stop the loading page simultaneously, but getting behind the paywall, didn't really reveal much.

Other than F9 is looking to expand to a total of 5 gates and that Airport Ops basically said that within a month or so F9 may be in a new Airside.

They also said that both WN and F9 are growing so they want to give them best growth opportunities, so to me that means NK isn't moving, as any movement would restrict them and NK is growing as well too.

So it has to be either a move to A or E. If moving to A, AS, SY, and B6 would have to move. B6 uses at most 4 gates, counting RON's so they could use C or E. AS and SY can move as well to C or E. 5 gates at Airside A would be 10-15, meaning at least one being a mix with NK and maybe even UA at the other end.

Will be interesting to see though, with how flaky F9's routes are, I wonder how TPA is negotiating the gate space. It's presumably not cheap to move airlines all around and 5 gates is a decent amount, to maybe just be unused especially in the summer, so maybe F9 has more plans for a more year round type schedule of aircraft going through.

No problem! I hate those pesky paywalls and that trick seems to get em every time.

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:16 am

Also....

Was playing around with AirTransat booking engine, and YYZ-TPA goes 2x weekly this winter, resuming 12/27 and flying Sundays and Thursday. YUL remains 1x weekly on Sunday and resumes 2/24/2019, both go through the end of April 2019.

jplatts

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:31 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

While WN doesn't currently serve TPA nonstop from CVG, CLE, ORF, OAK, or SMF, WN could add nonstop service to TPA from these 5 destinations.

FA9295

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:32 am

Still waiting on PDX...? C'mon AS... Although, they just added a second SEA flight (red-eye SEA departure, early morning TPA departure) so that's probably not going to happen for quite awhile now...

NYtracon

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:33 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Still waiting on PDX...? C'mon AS... Although, they just added a second SEA flight (red-eye SEA departure, early morning TPA departure) so that's probably not going to happen for quite awhile now...

The twice daily AS SEA and UA SFO flights are only for the holidays, they will go back to 1x daily in January.
Last edited by NYtracon on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 am

^^

Good catch on the 2x SFO-TPA, granted during holiday period, but that with SEA going 2x daily is good news for TPA.

axiom

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:07 am

Didn't know about SFO going double daily for a period. That's great news -- that both routes are maturing. Given how limited UA's resources are at SFO, and how long the TPA flight is, I've always been somewhat worried that it wouldn't be strong enough to stick around.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 pm

SY is adding 2x weekly TPA-BNA starting November 3rd.

Nothing much, but shows TPA is ripe for more SY additions down the road.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:13 pm

So with DL announcing AMS, I think any next added would have to be BOG or MEX.

I think AV to BOG is right on the cusp of coming to fruition.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Looks like Vacation Express via SwiftAir is in fact bring back PUJ. Resumes 5/24/19 and runs through 7/26/19.

https://www.vacationexpress.com/flight-schedule/

Midwestindy

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
DL is also really interested in adding TPA-AMS as well, so that should be interesting to watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were announcements from DL and F9 as well

Not trying to say I told you so, but....

Flyingstump

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:12 am

TPA is seeking a consulting firm to plan and update its master plan. The master plan was just approved 5 years ago in 2013, and Phase 2 hasn't even broke ground. Is this standard or is the airport's growth already outpacing the 5 year old master plan?

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... -firm.html

When I think of TPA's growth over the past 5 years, although the goal was for the airport to be able to handle 35mil passengers annually, that may not be possible with the current and planned expansion of gates with the new international concourse as a non-hub airport. If Frontier, Southwest, and Spirit continue to grow at the airport at a significant rate, I'm not sure how the airport could accommodate an increased number of aircraft and pax during normal or without seeing the customer experience of the airport take a hit (overcrowding at the airsides). What do you all think?

axiom

Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:09 am

5 years is a standard window for repeating the master planning process.

Flyingstump

Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:28 am

axiom wrote:
5 years is a standard window for repeating the master planning process.

Gotcha. Thanks

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Wonder where Contour will gate at? Silver Airways gate area?

New airline announced today, Contour Airlines to Macon, GA. More of a 'charter' type of routing to me, but an airline nonetheless.

Will be flown on 30 seat Embraer regional jets.

No idea what's in Macon, just seems like a odd route.

Quote:
MACON, GA
A new air service will offer flights between Macon and Tampa, Florida, starting in December.

The announcement of the expanded flight service to the Sunshine State was made Wednesday at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport. The flights start Dec. 19 for the weekly Wednesday and Saturday service, Contour Airlines CEO Matt Chaifetz said.

The introductory ticket price is $79 each way.

Flights are available through the end of February but service could be extended beyond that depending on the success, Chaifetz said.
Quote:
Tampa was selected because of it being one of the more popular destinations for Middle Georgia, Chaifetz said.

“We are delivering a product that we think is vastly better than anything you can get out of the Atlanta area at a more competitive price point.” Chaifetz said.

Unlike the flights between Macon and the D.C. area, the Tampa flights are not subsidized through a federal program designed to help smaller cities have regular passenger service."

https://www.macon.com/news/local/article219371070.html

Flyingstump

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

New airline announced today, Contour Airlines to Macon, GA. More of a 'charter' type of routing to me, but an airline nonetheless.

People who want to travel to Tampa, I guess.

Macon is 77 miles away from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) which is a 1hr 20min drive without traffic. Macon is 380 miles from Tampa or a 5hr 18min drive without traffic. So if you don't want to drive 5 hours+ to Tampa, currently, you can drive about 80 minutes to ATL, spend at least 2 hours at the airport (bag drop, security, boarding, etc), and you will arrive in Tampa at about 40 minutes before you would have arrived there if you had driven. If you go to the Macon airport instead, you save at least an hour of driving to the airport, it takes probably no time to clear security, and the boarding, taxi, and takeoff times for a 30 seat regional jet out of an airport with little to no air traffic is a fraction of that at ATL. Also, MCN is offering free parking to passengers and claims that you can arrive 30 minutes before your flight, check in, and get through security with no problems for you to catch your flight (Their slogan is "Over the Hassle" - referring to ATL).

So, if you choose to fly for convenience and time, Macon Airport is a no-brainer over Atlanta Airport if you're from Macon, Georgia, or even south of Atlanta. It does seem like an odd route, but it sort of makes sense. I would imagine the airport fees at MCN are significantly cheaper than at ATL, TPA is cheap to operate at, and you're basically targeting passengers who already fly to Tampa from an airport further away. As long as the price is similar to flights out of ATL and they can attract 60 people per week, this route seems like it could really be a success.

According to the interview with the CEO, this allows Contour to increase aircraft utilization with the same crew and maintain the same timetable for their service from MCN to BWI (Which they market as Washington D.C.). Macon Airport's goal is to breach 10,000pax/year, and Contour has a fleet of 2 aircraft. Here's to hoping for a big success for the little guys.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Flyingstump wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

People who want to travel to Tampa, I guess.

Macon is 77 miles away from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) which is a 1hr 20min drive without traffic. Macon is 380 miles from Tampa or a 5hr 18min drive without traffic. So if you don't want to drive 5 hours+ to Tampa, currently, you can drive about 80 minutes to ATL, spend at least 2 hours at the airport (bag drop, security, boarding, etc), and you will arrive in Tampa at about 40 minutes before you would have arrived there if you had driven. If you go to the Macon airport instead, you save at least an hour of driving to the airport, it takes probably no time to clear security, and the boarding, taxi, and takeoff times for a 30 seat regional jet out of an airport with little to no air traffic is a fraction of that at ATL. Also, MCN is offering free parking to passengers and claims that you can arrive 30 minutes before your flight, check in, and get through security with no problems for you to catch your flight (Their slogan is "Over the Hassle" - referring to ATL).

So, if you choose to fly for convenience and time, Macon Airport is a no-brainer over Atlanta Airport if you're from Macon, Georgia, or even south of Atlanta. It does seem like an odd route, but it sort of makes sense. I would imagine the airport fees at MCN are significantly cheaper than at ATL, TPA is cheap to operate at, and you're basically targeting passengers who already fly to Tampa from an airport further away. As long as the price is similar to flights out of ATL and they can attract 60 people per week, this route seems like it could really be a success.

According to the interview with the CEO, this allows Contour to increase aircraft utilization with the same crew and maintain the same timetable for their service from MCN to BWI (Which they market as Washington D.C.). Macon Airport's goal is to breach 10,000pax/year, and Contour has a fleet of 2 aircraft. Here's to hoping for a big success for the little guys.

Seems like there's a military traffic play here as well. Warner-Robins Air Force base is only 5 miles from MCN. 20,000 federal employees. Probably contributes to a large portion of residents with no real ties to Macon that would love to spend a weekend elsewhere on top of actual business traffic between Warner-Robins and MacDill.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:35 am

Per the latest OAG posting, looks like TPA-SFO is going 2x daily in July.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Incredible

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Southern Airways Express is launching TPA-PBI flights 11/8. 3-4x daily. Offsets the 3M drop just a little bit. Could also seem them expand into the JAX market too.

Southern Airways Express said Tuesday it will launch air service between Tampa and West Palm Beach on Nov. 8, just three days after another carrier discontinues the route.

Southern Airways, the third largest commuter carrier in the nation, is opening a new hub in West Palm Beach that initially will offer flights to Tampa and Key West.

For the Tampa-to-West Palm Beach flights, Southern expects about 80 percent of the passengers to be business travelers who don’t want to spend four hours or more driving across Florida.

"There will be some leisure folks, but not like" on a flight to "Key West," said Mark Cestari, Southern’s chief commercial officer.

Southern, which is based in Hernando, Miss., will fly three or four flights a day, depending on the day of the week, from the Signature Flight Support Terminal next to Tampa International Airport. Its fleet consists of nine--passenger Cessna Caravan turbo-prop airplanes. Tickets start at $149 one-way and can be booked at http://www.iFlySouthern.com or through travel web sites such as Expedia. Southern’s service begins as Silver Airways cancels its flights between Tampa and West Palm Beach.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/ ... um=twitter

axiom

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

This is great news.

I'm surprised to see Southern in Florida. Love how the intra-Florida flying continues, against the odds.

Also impressive to see TPA fly past the 20 million passenger mark this past FY.

http://www.tampaairport.com/tampa-inter ... iscal-year

May the positive news continue.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 pm

With Southern launching from the GA side of the airport, I wouldn't be too surprised to see maybe Contour over there too?

Septembers numbers are out and they are massive:

September total PAX saw 279,452 increase from 2017. Last year was Hurricane Irma so played a small role in that increase, but not 279k more.

Airline September totals also nice increases from pretty much everybody:
http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... hly%29.pdf

Lots of new routes starting soon, Swoop, Norwegian this month, F9 with a bunch in mid November and SY finishes off their new routes in first week of November.

http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... tivity.pdf

Murdoughnut

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:46 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
With Southern launching from the GA side of the airport, I wouldn't be too surprised to see maybe Contour over there too?

Septembers numbers are out and they are massive:

September total PAX saw 279,452 increase from 2017. Last year was Hurricane Irma so played a small role in that increase, but not 279k more.

Airline September totals also nice increases from pretty much everybody:
http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... hly%29.pdf

Lots of new routes starting soon, Swoop, Norwegian this month, F9 with a bunch in mid November and SY finishes off their new routes in first week of November.

http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... tivity.pdf

You need less than 12 seats to bypass TSA screening - Contour would have to drop to something smaller than the ERJ-135.

CLETPA

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Was at the airport the other day and when you take the monorail to A and they say the airlines they say Contour so assuming they'll be where Silver is operating from

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 pm

^^

Yeah that was my second guess. Makes sense.

Murdoughnut - Didn't think of that, not sure if anymore 'boutique' airlines will come to TPA, but if more do could maybe see them trying a 'boutique' area where Signature is, but not sure if it would make sense to staff TSA checkpoint there or not.

deltadudejg

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Contour is adding BKW and CLT to their recent announcement of Macon, which now seems to have gone seasonal.

https://www.register-herald.com/news/mo ... 1d0fb.html

jetstream3399

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:46 pm

deltadudejg wrote:
Contour is adding BKW and CLT to their recent announcement of Macon, which now seems to have gone seasonal.

MCN was always announced as seasonal through end of February. And BKW isn’t nonstop from TPA, it’s a continuation of the CLT flight.

axiom

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Last player I thought would bring competition to CLT-TPA.

Swoop started this week, and LH switched to mainline this weekend.

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:10 am

I wonder what other routes, Contour can/would add? JAX? SAV?

Looking forward to Norwegian's arrival on Wednesday!

SY starts BNA and STL this week too.

deltadudejg

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:11 am

jetstream3399 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

MCN was always announced as seasonal through end of February. And BKW isn’t nonstop from TPA, it’s a continuation of the CLT flight.

Ah, good to know. I was unaware MCN was announced seasonal and also didn't know about the TPA-CLT-BKW routing but it makes sense.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 am

axiom wrote:
Last player I thought would bring competition to CLT-TPA.

Swoop started this week, and LH switched to mainline this weekend.

Saw the LH livery overheard today and didn’t connect the dots. Thought to myself “man, that A343 looks soooo cool. Why have I never thought that before?”

FlyerTalkUserNa

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:29 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Bummed the Norwegian 789 will only be in town in nighttime hours. Will this be the first 787 to ever visit TPA?

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 am

FlyerTalkUserNa wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Bummed the Norwegian 789 will only be in town in nighttime hours. Will this be the first 787 to ever visit TPA?

Fairly recently-ish a Norwegian 787 diverted to TPA from MCO.

Only other one I can remember was the infamous JAL 787 soccer charter that was damaged in the water cannon salute.

Murdoughnut

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm

CLETPA wrote:
Was at the airport the other day and when you take the monorail to A and they say the airlines they say Contour so assuming they'll be where Silver is operating from

They're operating from a gate - not A1. Will be near Silver, though.

Murdoughnut

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:43 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
^^

Yeah that was my second guess. Makes sense.

Murdoughnut - Didn't think of that, not sure if anymore 'boutique' airlines will come to TPA, but if more do could maybe see them trying a 'boutique' area where Signature is, but not sure if it would make sense to staff TSA checkpoint there or not.

There are several boutique carriers popping up to serve unserved (or nearly unserved) markets - not many operating less than 12 seats. Via comes to mind, but I think they have ERJs now.

Cape used to run 421s (I think) to EYW, but I believe those were regional connections to mainline, which of course requires being in the terminal.

avi8

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:35 pm

TPA’s growth is impressive. I’m very happy about this. Doesn’t anyone know the reason behind all this growth? Tourism? Economic boom?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos